Heading Back to Philly

Not much in the way of hard news out here at KCI this morning. It was a very optional practice, so none of the big minute players like Alex Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom, Sergei Fedorov went out. Injured defenseman Jeff Schultz (back spams) did practice but told me afterward that he's questionable -- at best -- for Game 6 tomorrow in Philly.

I'm going write a story for tomorrow's Post about Ovechkin's first playoff experience. He's not scoring goals (one on 19 shots), but he's managing to contribute in other ways.

I thought his performance in yesterday's 3-2 win over the Flyers was his best of the series. He was a monster from a physical standpoint, finishing checks and throwing Jim Dowd into the bench. He logged six shots, drew penalties and banged in front of the net on the game winner by Alexander Semin.

I still think the Caps are going to need a goal (or three) from Ovechkin in order to advance. But in the meantime, he appears to have turned a corner in terms of adjusting to playoff hockey.

He's also past due.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 20, 2008; 12:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Knuble Out For Series
Next: First 10 Minutes Will Be Key

Comments

First!

Posted by: PHil | April 20, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I didn't get to see yesterday's game, but it sounds like the whole team has started to turn things around and play like their lives depend on it again. Not having to deal with Knuble for whatever is left of the series will certainly help to. Not that you want to see the opposition lose a player in that way, but still...

Posted by: EricS | April 20, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Any updates on Clark or Nylander?

Posted by: PHil | April 20, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Clark is not going to play this series. Nylander also isn't close.

Posted by: Tarik | April 20, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Great game from the boys yesterday!! Good luck on Monday fellas!!!!

Posted by: Brad | April 20, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Is there growing concern over Clark's injury? Is surgery necessary at this point? I've never known a groin injury to last so long.

And what about Pothier? Is his career in jeopardy?

Posted by: oo7 | April 20, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

I hope your article discusses the strategy that the Flyer covering Ovechkin uses to diminish his goal scoring. And how could Ovechkin modify his game, his moves, etc to counter that coverage. In order to break out, OV is going to have solve that situation by "smarts", because just playing harder won't do it.

Thanks! and your coverage is GREAT!

Posted by: Dezlboy | April 20, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

during warm ups yesterday i thought i saw a glorious site- a red jersey with "Clark" written across the back- but alas my hopes were dashed when i realized it was actually "Cooke"

Posted by: Anonymous | April 20, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

From the previous ...

Watching the coverage of yesterday's game (between the first and second period); a couple of interesting notes:

1) They debated about whether or not Ovie should have been given a penalty shot - wouldn't that have been interesting?!? I actually could have seen that call going either way, but with Philly getting a penalty shot in the last game for something very similiar, Ovie should have gotten one, too.

2) Why on earth would someone covering a playoff game not know how to pronounce all of the players' names (especially the more notable players)?

3) They are actually giving the Caps a lot of love, but I did not see the opening coverage, and I have not seen Milbury.

On a different subject, does anyone else find it ironic that just as Huet's post-season game is going through the roof, Price's game is tanking?

Posted by: Boo! | April 20, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

thanks for putting the Clark question to rest!

Posted by: 3vafans | April 20, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

From espn.com:

Maybe the Washington Capitals aren't a one-trick pony after all. With so much attention focused on Alexander Ovechkin and his troubles thus far in his first playoff series, the Capitals stayed alive by revealing the kind of balance and depth that is so crucial to playoff success. While Ovechkin has just one goal versus Philadelphia after leading all scorers in the regular season with 65, he was a physical force during Saturday's crucial 3-2 win over the Flyers. Meanwhile, Sergei Fedorov scored his first of the playoffs and Nicklas Backstrom and Alexander Semin both added their second as the Caps forced a sixth game in Philadelphia on Monday. If the inexperienced Caps are learning as they go, the Flyers will have to learn how to win without veteran leader Mike Knuble, who is gone for the series with a partial hamstring tear. Knuble scored the overtime winner in Game 4 and has been a calming presence for a Flyers team that rebounded from dead last a season ago to the sixth seed in the East.

Posted by: Boo! | April 20, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Tarik:

Logistical question -- team apparently takes the train to Philly -- do they charter a car or two, or just purchase regular or business class tickets? Are you traveling with them?

Posted by: Hook | April 20, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

The Caps do NOT need Shultz back right now. Steve Eminger has stepped up to the plate and knocked the ball out of the park with his performance this series. It says a lot about the young man after being in the "dog house" for no apparent reason during the season. He could very easily have stepped in and done nothing. Instead he's picked up his game and done a great job. Schultz needs to stay in the bleachers because he does NOT help us at all when he's on the ice. He's afraid to hit, afraid of getting hit and routinely makes horrible passes out of the defensive end that end up getting intercepted. I'm sick of Schultz and wish he would be returned to Hershey. Be gone Schultz....BE GONE!!!!

Posted by: Mitch | April 20, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@ mitch

I don't think it would be Eminger who would be replaced if Schultz came back. It would be Jurcina, who has been absolutely awful. If you are basing your criticism of Schultz on his last 2 games, remember he was injured (and it was foolish of him to try to play). Schultz is not the same cup cake he was at the start of the year. How quickly people forget that he was playing strong and physical down that crucial stretch. If he isn't healthy though, he should not be playing or else he will revert to hitting as hard as a pillow like he did at the start of the year.

Posted by: reekie | April 20, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

NBC did actually make notice of the fact that the Caps and Leonsis and all the fans called them out for their treatment of the Caps in the first NBC-televised game, but they're still pretty much completely in love with Philadelphia as a whole.

NBC wants to see Philly win BAD.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | April 20, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Schultz has some upside, but not in this series. He was seriously overmatched in his games with the team. Emmy has played great and has a chip on his shoulder. I don't change anything on D from yesterday unless Schultz is taking out Erskine. Even Jurcina looked better yesterday.

Posted by: Scott | April 20, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Everybody jumps on the bandwagon of the Capitals the last 11 games of the season and praises them, and they have a bad couple games in the playoff series and most of the boards on the internet are so negative about them. Why? A fan is to support the team and not to bring them down. A 7 game series is a long series and the Caps are just one win away from taking this back to Washington. Some fans are so impatient and need results right away but this is a young hockey team and this may just take more than a year so everybody should just be patient with the Caps young players. I mean we have the MVP of the regular season, the top goal scoring defenseman and 2 or 3 other young potent goal scorers- just be patient everybody. Just be patient!!!

Posted by: Lynn | April 20, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I know Emmy has been in the dog house for some reason this season, but I really don't want to give up on him for next season. Maybe he can keep up this good play and we consider moving some of the other D men and keeping him as a 5 or 6 d man for next season

Posted by: Mike | April 20, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

DrinkingPartner:
When did they say that - at the beginning of the game? I missed that part ... :-/

Another interesting comment - they just said that the fans boo Briere because he hit Ovie into an open door last season. Boy, what was that - like the 3rd or 4th incident with him last season?!? Yeah, that's not (the only reason) why Caps fans boo Briere ...

So then they discussed Fed's penalty (the one that led to the 5 on 3 goal) and said that in "zero tolerence" playoff hockey it was the right call. Well, then where have all of the calls against the Flyers been? BTW, the pretty much blamed Stecks for that goal since he slid out of position to block a shot.

Posted by: Boo! | April 20, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Boo,

I'm wondering what this series is going to do to Price's confidence

Posted by: Steve R | April 20, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Steve:
Yeah, me too. It is interesting that he started strong, though. I wonder what the turning point was? I guess if he does not bounce back in the next game, it is a moot point for post-season play. At that point the question will become what it does for his chances to be #1 next season ... what do you think?

Posted by: Boo! | April 20, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

@ boo
It was Ovechkin who hit Briere into the open door last year vs. the Sabres. Briere acted like he was dead and then was back quickly, but Ovechkin still got tossed and I believe a suspension from the NHL. I was surprised that NBC got that wrong. Ovechkin hates Briere because he faked that injury, and then later in the season in Buffalo he skated by Ovechkin and speared him in the crotch. Ovechkin tried to fight Briere a couple of times, but Briere refused.

@ Mike
I don't see Eminger being back next year. Alzner (who has been described as the best player not in the NHL right now)will be on the squad unless anything crazy happens. I guess there is a chance though if some of these rumors about Pothier being done are true. Anybody have any news on that. I just don't see Eminger wanting to return.

Posted by: reekie | April 20, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo

Yeah, they made mention of the fact that nobody in Washington likes either of them, and they also made another comment or two about "no one in Washington appreciating any tongue-in-cheek humor" or something along those lines.

It's also annoying that no one outside of Washington, like someone said above, knows how to pronounce player's names correctly, and that they don't even bother to check the history between Briere and Ovechkin. I mean, really, we're pissed at Briere for so much more than that.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | April 20, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

The Philly writers are more complimentary of our team than our own writers (at times). Below is one of the three good articles in the Phila. Inquirer:

I thought NBC was Much better yesterday even if they blew the Briere thing: it was Briere who got knocked into the door, not the other way around. I loved his excuse yesterday: "I guess their (the Caps) whining paid off." Whining about whining. Typical Briere.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 20, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

boo, did they really say that about briere and OV? cause it was Ovie who hit briere into the open door like two years ago. then briere retailiated by spearing ov in the cajoles behind the play and then hid behind one of his bigger players when ovie tried to get at him.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | April 20, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

reekie/DrinkingPartner:
I remember the Ovie hit on Briere (and the fact that it was very controversial), but I don't remember it being into an open door?!? I do remember it being followed in another game or two by Briere spearing Ovie AND Olie, and later hitting Ovie into an open door ... no?!? Anyway, all I know is that I did not think Ovie's original hit was dirty, but the Buffalo fans never let it go (booing Ovie every time he touched the puck after that - I loved it when he scored in their house and cupped his hand over his ear to taunt them! :-)). It was after the controversial hit that Briere turned up the truly dirty play. Ovie never stooped to that level ...

Posted by: Boo! | April 20, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Cap Fan 1:
Yes they did - I just don't remember it being an open door.

Posted by: Boo! | April 20, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

@ boo
Yes it was into an open door. You could tell that Ovechkin didn't really mean to do it, he was just so much stronger than Danielle. You can youtube it and find it. Even though it wasn't an intent to injure or anything, OV was deserved of the game misconduct for it. I don't remember any time Briere hit OV into an open door.

Can we talk about how Morrison absolutely crushed somebody? I don't remember who it was, but amazing open ice hit. The announcers were pretty impressed with it, but I was shocked they didn't show a replay of it (that I saw).

Posted by: reekie | April 20, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it was an open door.

But it should have been.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | April 20, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

reekie:
I remember thinking that Ovie was not trying to make a cheap hit, as well (what did they call it - boarding?). All I can remember is that he was mid-check when Briere turned his back to him. So, in the last second, it looked cheap, but it did not start out that way. In other words, I thought that Briere saw it coming, but turned away and then crumbled under Ovie's powerful hit. Does that make sense? That's all I remember - I don't remember the door part of the scenario (but, then again, I don't remember a lot! ;-)).

Posted by: Boo! | April 20, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Not first. Or second. Does it matter? Announcing you are first would make sense if you got a prize. Tarik, can you reward these "first" posters with tickets? That would really boost traffic on your blog.

I have my tickets for Game 7. Can't wait for this tilt. Monday night Alex will score his second and third playoff goals and lead the Caps to victory!

Go Caps!

Posted by: TJ2 | April 20, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: reekie | April 20, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Have you guys seen the Flyers' coach's comments after the game? Stevens and the Flyers really have no business whatsoever to complain about officiating. It's about time a call or two went Washington's way.

The officiating in game 4 was atrocious. Aside from the ridiculous call on Kozlov for goalie interference (ironic how it was Kozlov who dumped Upshall into the goalie in this game to get the call the Flyers were upset with), the refs missed two blatant high sticks that split the Caps' players faces up. On both players the Caps players were bleeding so that's 8 minutes in penalties we didn't get right there so Stevens should really shut the hell up.

Posted by: ranndino | April 20, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

So Briere did not fly into an open door. He missed it. His head hit the boards. Was not a dirty hit to me. Ovechkin actually barely touched him. Briere was not paying attention and relaxed before getting off the ice. Ovechkin actually pulled up on the play. Briere just lost his balance after a slight nudge and flew into the boards. He can kiss my ass.

Posted by: ranndino | April 20, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Briere's retaliatory spear to Ovechkin's nads.

Posted by: ranndino | April 20, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, I know the Bears of Hershey are down 2 games to 0 agasint WB Scraton but do you have any news about Bouchard/Perrault/Lepisto/Pokuluk? in how there playing down there? i wish the post had a BearsInsider now that be the day!
GO CAPS!

Posted by: Zack Attack | April 20, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Continuing from the last thread... I guess us out-of-towners are S.O.L. without Center Ice in regards to Game 6.

So....

What bar in NYC has the TSN/Center Ice feed and has a good atmosphere for hockey?

PLEASE SOMEBODY?

Posted by: Donnie | April 20, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

reekie:
Yeah, in that clip the door was not open - when Briere hit it, it got knocked open. I was thinking of a different open door hit that I think was in the VC, but was definitely going the other direction. I tried to find it on YouTube but didn't have any luck.

Posted by: Boo! | April 20, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Donnie:
Keep an eye out for mauree - he might be able to hook you up with an online feed.

Posted by: Boo! | April 20, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@boo
nbc said that the door thing with briere was the reason why they were booing. i thought that was ridiculous, we were booing cause they constantly boo ov. nbc are idiots, but give them a break they go from one town to the next on any given day and are under extreme stress to get to know all they can, they just don't get it all the time. i appreciate the hd, since i dont get versus in hd.

Posted by: capscla | April 20, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

capscla:
But, oh, we have so many reasons to boo Briere ... :-) He may be talented, but I have no respect for dirty players.

Posted by: Boo! | April 20, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | April 20, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Ovie needs a new goal.
Somebody who's name I can't quite remember asked him earlier this season if 60 goals was even possible.

What sort of Caps playoff scoring records are out there? I'm not sure NHL scoring records are even in sight at this juncture.

Posted by: austinsteve | April 20, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

My sense of the Philly love wasn't so much what they outright said. It was more coverage. Pre-game, they were talking about Briere, we all got to see some lovely clips of him scoring goals, etc. First intermission, guess who their segment was on? Oh, yeah, Briere. During the game, the odds of having a camera shot of the Caps bench was slim to none, while the had a camera guy basically up Richards' nose the entire game. Most of the commentary was geared towards the angle of "this is what Philly needs to do to win" and "this is what the Caps need to do to not lose". Doesn't sound like a difference, but it got easier to pick up as the game went on. Every interview during the game was with a Flyer. They had maybe 30 seconds of Caps clips the entire game. And when they went to commercial break, the "highlights" they'd show were all of good things Philly was doing, rarely ever goals or good plays from the Caps. Man, I really hate NBC. Although I've got to say, they've improved since the last time they covered us. When they said that Caps fans didn't like them, my first thought was, Well, duh, I wonder why? Even the non-hockey fan that watched the game with me said, "They don't like your Caps very much, do they? What are you guys, the red-headed step-children of the league?"

Anyways, maybe my favorite moment of the game was when Ovie helped Dowd change lines faster. :P I watched that replay at least 4 times. I'm excited for Game 6, trying to decide whether or not to watch it at home, or try to find a bar and watch it.

Let's go Caps!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 20, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I am not sure what has gotten into Semin the last few games, but my guess is someone is talking to him and I would think it was Feds. If so he he will easily have a second career as a sports pychologist. Semin has been both killer shoting, and going after the Flyers early on sent a message to every one, If I can hit and fight, so can you. Caps hit anything that moved yesterday not wearing white in the first 2 periods, but did let off in the third, hopefully a lesson learned that they have to hit the whole game to win.

Posted by: Rich C. | April 20, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

For all the complaints about the officiating, you gotta admire the gamesmanship between the two teams. Tarik, I'd love to see an article about the chirping going on between the two teams. What are the funniest insults being uttered out there between outbursts of what can't be published in a family paper?

Also, in the turnabout is fair play dept., I saw Hartnell in game 4 take a moment to shove Gordon's helmet over his eyes behind the net on one play. Gordon fixed it, took a quick peak around for a ref but kept skating. Yesterday, I saw Bradley do the same to either Modry or Prospal along the boards. The Flyer completely stops, throws his hands in the air and complains vehemently for a call. Oh wait, we're the team that whines, right?

Posted by: geauxcaps | April 20, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I was watching the CSN postgame stuff and they showed a little bit of Phillys CSN postgame coverage, and they caught some of Scottie Upshalls interview and the talking heads reaction to it. Well, Upshall said "they have some guys over there who will embellish calls" and the talking heads definitely agreed with him. i saw a few guys diving on the Flyers such as Richards and Umburger on a couple occasions, and Brieres one of the biggest divers in the league, cause he is so small and he can get away with it. those comments made me angry (family blog, wont say what im thinking)

Posted by: DER | April 20, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I saw Upshall's comments. It looked like he could barely keep a straight face because he knew he was full of it. More gamesmanship for sure :).

I thought Chris Therien on the local CSN postgame show was funny when he was literally hyperventilating after the loss in Game 1. Trying to explain what was happening, but you could see he was really upset by it.

Posted by: geauxcaps | April 20, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Ovie will have a hat trick tomorrow in Philly, you heard it here first.

Let's Go Caps!!!

Posted by: Jill | April 20, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I know hate Montreal because I'm SOL for tomorrow's game here in N.C. A couple of sports bars around the area don't have the NHL Center Ice package. The Habs are now in my crosshairs forever more.

Posted by: Colin | April 20, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

The Capths awe my favowite team! ohw-vee isth my favowite playuh.

Go Capth Go!

Posted by: special ed | April 20, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I went to practice this morning. Clark was skating, wearing an orange sweater along with Laing and Flash. Schultz skated too.
With Philly whining about the officiating, it will be interesting to see how the calls go tomorrow night.
Ovie is due for a scoring breakout! Go Caps! Can't wait to head back down to the VC Tuesday night

Posted by: Huntvetchkin | April 20, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Was anyone at Gordon Biersch after the game?

Posted by: MNMNT | April 20, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

@Zack Attack

I go to all the Bears home games and some away:

Bouchard--played the last few games of the regular season and looked ok but needs some work to adapt to a faster game.

Perrault--terrific skater, good puck handling, very impressed

Lepisto--missed a few games with a groin injury but is back now and playing well. reminds me alot of Mike Green in that he tends to sneak in on offense quite a bit.

Pokuluk--seemed lost all season, just couldn't keep up with the pace, finally was sent to S.Carolina late in the season. I can't help but wonder if missing most of last year with a concussion is a lingering problem.

Boumedienne--solid on the blue line and usually partners with Lepisto. currently out with an 'unspecified injury'.

Bourque--team MVP, really stepped up this season. high energy, solid hits, terrific slap shot (guess Dad taught him that). only down side is his size.

Posted by: tess | April 20, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I long for the days where the refs swallowed their whistles in the playoffs unless serious blood, and not even then in the last 10 minutes. To call that tickytac hold on feds to give a 5 - 3 is just absurd. Many other examples that can be given.

Re NBC -- their production quality was a joke. Half the time the mikes went out on the announcers because of crowd noise, cameramen are not very good, and the announcers are just plain ignorant (ie the briere/ovie previous incident, saying ovie whiffed on a shot when he had actually pulled it through his legs etc etc etc). Yes they have to go from city to city, but that's their JOB. At some point, there's got to be some level of professionalism. You don't see basketball, football or baseball announcers in national games display such amateurism.

Posted by: Hook | April 20, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

A little off topic, but funny.

Anyone else notice that in replays of the OT game in Philly, just about every time they show highlights with the crowd the crowd is beating each other with the orange thunder sticks? I am curious how many thunder stick incidents made their way to the local magistrate (or whatever they call it in Philly)?

Posted by: Kim | April 20, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Also, has Semin been unbelievable or what in the last few games of the series? I hope all of those Semin haters from early in the year are eating their words. Wasn't it in a preseason game against the Flyers that Semin hurt his ankle in the first place? Payback baby.

Oh, and I have a feeling if we advance to the second round that we will see that Nick can now actually grow a playoff beard.

I am so proud of this group of guys. Can't wait to watch them play tomorrow night!

Posted by: Kim | April 20, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

hey guys just stopping by to say hello to all! Boston game last night was awesome!

@Colin
Welcome to the world of every canadian born hockey fan that wasn't born with Habs blood in them... Mais C'est tout Bien! DOWN WITH THE HABS!

@Kim
hahaha those orange "dildo's" sucked... I broke two of them in the first period then got two more only to have one constantly deflate the rest of the game... And yes we were all hitting eachother with them, but they didn't do as much damage as say snowballs/iceballs at santa

I'm going to the game tomorrow night! Anyone else going let me know if you wanna join a tailgate party.
Ok off to dinner. Enjoy your nights and sleep well, it's going to be a long day tomorrow leading up to the game and a crazy night tomorrow night for sure!

Posted by: Jeff | April 20, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Bourque 5'8" 181...

Michael Peca 5'11" 190...

If you can play, you can play... If Bourque can be the player Peca was, or even close, I'd love that...

Posted by: JSchon | April 20, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Flyers blog:

They love Caps fans. Post now and post often.

Posted by: Caps in 7 | April 20, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Preds are gone...

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 20, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

re: nbc coverage, this last game, they did complain that w/ the rule change any little wuss could crash the net, cause chaos, and score goals just before they did a section highlighting brierre. they both paused on the transition. i think they were aware about how that came off & what punk he is w/ his attacks on huet.

Posted by: jim* | April 20, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

@jschon
Is Bourque being compared to Peca in his style of play?
I've only seen him play once when I was at the game vs Minnesota (maybe his NHL debut?). I remember the Caps got criticized a bit for taking him earlier than any other teams were really considering taking him in the 2nd round. But I agree, being small might not help you, but it isn't going to prevent somebody from being a solid player.

Posted by: reekie | April 20, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

We arent asking him to be a QB in the NFL... and he isnt 5'1"...

Not sure about the comparison to Peca... I used Peca because he is on the smallish end of the spectrum and was very good 2 way player and wasnt scared of contact, from that stand point I believe they are similar... not sure about his skating ability, but I'm sure Ray is a pretty good teacher.

Posted by: JSchon | April 20, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Good for OV for depositing DOWD over the boards - it was dowd afterall who cheap shotted Semin to the face with a high stick -- I'm glad dowd got his... bravo OV

Posted by: Terpie1 | April 20, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

@Jeff,

Wish I could go to the game tomorrow. You have not lived until you have had my ribs and chicken at a tailgate. My burgers are okay too. And we can even hang with those pesky 1200 games with breakfast burritos, doughnuts, etc. I do not know what pong tables are, but can throw the football with the best of them. Also, my husband is in a rock band - so we also rock the tunes at our tailgates.

Posted by: Kim | April 20, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else watch the Detroit/Nashville game? What a fluky goal!

Oh, and even more ammunition that Pierre McGuire must have been "special" as a child. Can't believe he was stupid enough to ask both Lidstrom and Osgood which team they wanted to face next. Yeah, like everyone did not already know how PC they would answer that one. Only the Wizards seem to know how not to answer that question.

Posted by: Kim | April 20, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Also was a little ticked at the NBC announcers previewing the Pens/Rangers second round. Hey fellas - I think the Caps and Bruins still have some unfinished business before that is a done deal.

I already have my Caps Fly Penguins Cry sign ready!

Posted by: Kim | April 20, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I think the Flyers whining about the Caps whining is ridiculous. The officiating has been even handed in it's bad calls thus far.

I'd also like to see any of the Caps D-men just plant Briere just one time when he sneaks in and camps on the left side of the Caps' crease. Even better if it's somebody like Brashear while back-checking.

I too think Ovie breaks out in game 6 if he gets six shots again on Monday night. LETS GO CAPS!!!!! Bring the series back to the Phone Booth!

Posted by: Mark aka usually Frustrated Caps Fan | April 20, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

@Reechi and Boo!

As I recall it, the door was not fully closed. AO hit Briere into the boards at the door. The door popped open and in went Briere.

I loathe that guy.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 20, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

next season is usually when the nastiness reoccurs. unless of course one of the games is a blowout

Posted by: capscla | April 20, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Let us root for the B's....if for no other reason that IF the caps win, they get an extra home game in the next round.

Posted by: Rich C | April 20, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Couple of answers: I never travel with the Caps. I'll drive up at the crack of dawn and probably drive home at night. Usually is a 20 hour day.

Dezlboy -- I did mention what the flyers are doing to OV and what he needs to do to break the smothering coverage. One thing he did a little of last game was skating up with his teammates rather than skating ahead of the rush, then stopping and waiting for the pass. that made him a sitting duck for Timonen.

Posted by: Tarik | April 20, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

@reekie
It was Ovechkin who hit Briere into the open door last year vs. the Sabres.

I think NBC did it right. The first hit of Ovechkin on Briere was close to open door, but Briere went into the boards. Next time Briere speared Ovechkin.

But it was one more accident when Briere pushed Ovechkin into open door. It didn't get much attention because Ovechkin didn't play a dead dog like Briere did and it was also in Buffalo. But it could be much much worse.

Posted by: King Huet | April 20, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

King Huet:
That's how I remember it, too - Ovie hit Briere and everyone over-reacted, then Briere unsheathed his sword and starting spearing everyone, and eventually hit Ovie into an open door (over a couple/few games). But that was a long time ago, and I have been known to be wrong once or twice ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | April 20, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about tomorrow's game. Will be watching all the way from Afghanistan. Looking forward to Game 7.

Posted by: matt | April 20, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

The key to this next game is scoring first. So far, the team to score first - WINS.

Posted by: 828 | April 20, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Re: officiating - every team in the playoffs has gotten the short end of the stick at some point due to the across the board inconsistency of the zebras. What is admissable in the playoffs is always different from the regular season. That's to be expected. However, it's nearly impossible for anyone, players, fans, announcers, to tell what exactly is and isn't a penalty. Though I'm sure the officials' union would be totally against it (due to less available jobs), the game would be better served if the NHL went back to one referee. The players would know the tendencies of the particular ref before the game started and could adjust their play accordingly. The one ref/ two linesmen system still works quite well in the AHL and other leagues. The problems with inconsistency wouldn't be totally solved, but calls would be more uniform throughout any particular game. In the meantime, be prepared for more head scratching and complaints from players. In any event,the Caps will need to fight through the bad (or non) calls to prevail in this round and the ones ahead. Game 7 coming Tuesday people! Enjoy!

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | April 20, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

I like our chances in Game 6 - like OV said, what do we have to lose? The pressure's on them - and we have the younger, stronger legs. Back-to-back with Game 7 will do in dinosaurs like Hatcher. Also, I like the fact that period 3 in game 5 was all Flyers - it showed we can take their best shot with the game on the line and still win. Go CAPS!!!

Posted by: tokyo fan | April 20, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Ducks are gone now too...

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 20, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

You really are a hockey fan...
I'm a bit surprised the Ducks played so poorly... That team is loaded.

Posted by: JSchon | April 20, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

JSchon, I'm assuming that was directed to me. I'll watch pretty much any hockey I can. However, I also have three papers due by Friday and I'm procrastinating terribly. However, since one of my papers is a comparison of the "economic growth differences between England and France in the 18th & 19th centuries" and the slow, from-the-ground-up, and "home-grown" rebuilding process of the Capitals and quick-fix approaches, I'm allowed to watch hockey. For research purposes only, of course.
I'm a bit surprised about the Ducks too. However, Turco has been playing a great game and the Stars are connecting well on their offense. Only thing that's been less than great for them so far has been their PK.

One question, when does the next round start? I'm going to fail my classes if the Caps' second round starts before Friday night.

Looking forward to tomorrow (tonight?)! Let's go Caps!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 21, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Warning: Playing hockey as the visiting team at the Verizon Center may pose certain health risks. Side effects include tearing a hamstring due to poor ice quality, leaving the ice quicker than expected thanks to #8, changes in vision resulting from over-exposure to the color red, and losing. Women who are pregnant or nursing should immediately buy their child an Ovechkin jersey. Weekly heart attacks are inevitable when cheering for the Capitals. See your healthcare professional before taking on the Capitals, either as a fan or an opposing team.

My doctor says no, but I don't listen to him. He's a Carolina fan... :D

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 21, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Shame about the crappy ice costing the Flyers Knuble.

It's abundantly clear to me that the Caps fans are just booing Briere because Flyers fans booed Ovechkin. Tit for tat.

There doesn't need to be a deeper meaning behind it from some hit that happened seasons ago. If there was a previous reason they woulda booed him in the first two games.

Posted by: Ben from Washington | April 21, 2008 5:53 AM | Report abuse

Booing when the guy has the puck is the ultimate compliment.

Briere has played well, so we try to get him off his game. Everyone in Philly knows who Ovie is, so he gets it too.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

nice job refs...

Capitals + Refs : 2

Flyers : 3

Please ref don't cheat on the Flyers tonight just because you want ovechkikin and the rest of the russian team to be against Crosby

Tonight is the end

Posted by: The MAN | April 21, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

I can't stop laughing at The man. You should be in comedy.

Posted by: CT CAPS FAN | April 21, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

lol jmu :)

To everybody: please don't feed the above troll. Even though extremely irritating, he's proving he has room temperature IQ and not worthy of any insults, let alone intelligent discusssion.

Posted by: mauree | April 21, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

There is no way Timonen and Upshall deserve their penalty.. wtf???

Washington a city of su*&er:

Redskins, Nationals, Capts, and your stupid basketball team

first game: when a player is injur the ref must call it , don't call after we touch the puck. And your overrated defenseman score Mike Green,

And saturday, bad call after bad call

I know the NHL want your Ovechkikin to be in the secound round and don't want Briere to win....

But we will tonight

Posted by: The Man | April 21, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

@The Man

You fail at life....do us all a favor and please go play in traffic

Posted by: I hate philly | April 21, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

What's going to happend with the blog when Washington will be out tonight

Anyway good job Tarik.

you are as good as the Capts, but you didn't need help of REFS

Posted by: The Man | April 21, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

@The Man

9 a.m and already crying about the refs? How do you sleep at night?

Posted by: The MANS Daddy | April 21, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Who are these "Capts" you speak of? At least you aren't whinning about the CAPS! Idiot.

Back after a short break away. Managed to watch Games 4 and 5 on TV over here on a subscription channel. Stayed up until 3:45am for Game 4, absolutely gutted at the end but too tired to shout abuse at the TV.

Game 5 was a joy to watch. The intensity of the first period needs to be repeated tonight. I doubt any team could live with us if we play like that for even 50 out of 60 minutes. The only disappointment was that it was still close in the final few minutes.

Tonight the channel I watched those games on is showing Habs/B's so if Mauree or anyone else has a media player link I'd be very grateful.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | April 21, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

From Edmonton Journal:

Boudreau continues to be impressed by
Russian winger Alex Semin's put in the last couple of games but does have some trouble communicating. "He understands a lot by facial expressions," joked Boudreau. Raised eyebrows, snarled lips, happy smile. "He understands more English than you think, he's just a very quiet guy."

Alex: WTF? (raised eyebrows)

Alex: F U! (snarled lips)

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

The intensity of the THIRD period needs to be repeated tonight. I doubt any team could live with us if we play like that for even 50 out of 60 minutes

Capitals sucks

Posted by: to Dave UK Caps Fan | April 21, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I'm very distraught. I'm in CT and vs. will be showing B's / Habs. Is there a chance someone could provide a feed (per Dave's request). I would be very grateful as well.

Oh, I almost forgot, The Man, I can sense the fear right through the incomprehensable (I know, it's a big word, go look it up) words you write. You are worried, you should be.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 21, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

@Dave UK Caps Fan,

"Capitals suckS"??

Where did you learn how to speak English? Philly?

Posted by: Danny | April 21, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

@Kim-You are right on about Semin. He has had an awesome series. He's been scoring of course but he has also been hitting and has been very smart with the puck, especially clearing the zone..Thank you Sergei Fedorov..

@the Man-If you say it's going to be over tonight then why are you sweating? ;-)

Posted by: dave | April 21, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

The Man:
It might help a little bit if you spelled Ovechkin correctly or used English at all.

The call by the Refs to not halt play was even acknowledged by Stevens as the right call.

Also no reason to bring in other sports teams just cause the Eagles havent won a super bowl.

Posted by: MetalCap | April 21, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Any takers for my office pool? $1 a play for the number of posts on this board today...I have 451!

Posted by: TheCapitalist | April 21, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

@ The Capitalist:

Remember there's a morning skate, so a new topic will hopefully be up soon :)

Posted by: Olie Troll | April 21, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

BALLS TO THE WALL! Lets go CAPS! Time to ROCK OUT WITH YOUR C$CK OUT!

Posted by: Zman | April 21, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Pretty cool clips of Political News Shows saying go Caps http://capitals.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=361061

Posted by: MetalCap | April 21, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

from a flyers fan:

awesome series thus far this is what the Stanley Cup Playoffs are all about. sorry to say I smell overtime tonite!!

Lets hope for another classic

Posted by: ump | April 21, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Danny:
I didn't post the comment about the intensity of the THIRD period. It appears some joker (the Man) changed my comment slightly and reposted it with a similar name to mine.

If you notice, that post was signed "to Dave UK Caps Fan" not "Dave UK Caps Fan".

Where did you learn to read? Philly?

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | April 21, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Dave:
You and Matt (in the middle east) are the official uber fans! :-) BTW, I was talking to some friends from Manchester this weekend and told them what you said about 'cultural' differences between the US and the UK (i.e. we couldn't handle an English Football match if we can't handle a game a hockey game in Philly); they got a good chuckle out of that! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | April 21, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Boo,
Where are your Mancunian friends from? Perhaps I know them :)

Have you seen the video of the Flyers fans chanting "F*&% Ovechkin"? It's on the DC Sport Bog if you haven't. The comments below it made me laugh. America can be such a liberal country in some respects and the total opposite in others.

Watching the Man Utd game on Saturday, I listened to the Utd fans singing with this in mind. Almost every song has some profanity in it. I'm not saying this is right, just "F*&% Player's Name" wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | April 21, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

If the Caps pull off the miracle and win this series, and Boston beats Montreal, the Caps will play Jagr and the boys in the 2nd round, not Cindy and Friends.

So Flyers fans, if the Caps AND Bruins get calls tonight, well, then maybe you can continue your whining! C A P S CAPS! CAPS CAPS!

Posted by: dave | April 21, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Dave UK Caps Fan,

Actually I did learn how to read in Philly - I grew up there. :) As you can see, I'm not very proud of the fact that I'm from Philly. It took me years to erase that stigma.

Sorry for the mix up. Go CAPS!

Posted by: Danny | April 21, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Can we please not talk about the next series... we have one to win tonight...

Posted by: JSchon | April 21, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

It is a very simple answer everyone. If you lived in Philly wouldn't you be pissed off about living there? Think how bad it sucks to know that even if your teams win you still live in the anus of the USA.

Posted by: Bob | April 21, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

banned topics from this board

*Clarks groin
*Nylanders shoulder
*Whether or not Clark, Nylander and Pothier will get their names on the Stanley Cup
*The next series until we are GUARANTEED a next series

Posted by: JSchon | April 21, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Good job laying down the law JSchon, wonder how long that lasts

Posted by: AP | April 21, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Complaining about the Refs... crying about games... and saying the Caps suck...

Where have we all heard this from???

Oh yeah, Carolina said that right before their first golf outting this spring.

Posted by: 828 | April 21, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

3 more posts... maybe 4 tops

Posted by: JSchon | April 21, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Anyone heard anything about Nylander's shoulder?

Posted by: Moose33 | April 21, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

@ump

This has been an awesome series!!! The Caps and Flyers rivalry is back and better than ever...And I don't know about OT tonight but it'll be close.

But just to warn you...Ovechkin is so overdue. :-)

Posted by: dave | April 21, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

lol Moose you beat me too it!!

Danny,
No worries. My commiserations at having been brought up in Philly.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | April 21, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

@moose33

Didnt you mean Nylanders groin?

Posted by: JSchon | April 21, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Any chance Pothier comes back with a Brain Transplant cloned from Bobby Orr's DNA?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

What are the chances that Clark, Pothier, and Nylander play in the Stanley Cup Finals?

Posted by: dave | April 21, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Sorry JSchon, I did mean Nylander's groin, that would have been more clever.

I'm thinking we will need at least 1 goal from AO tonight. I think he has been playing great, creating opportunities for others and hitting like there is no tomorrow but at one point you need your leading scorer to do just that.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 21, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Dave UK

Goods point on the soccer comparison, F-anybody chanted at a football match wouldn't offend anybody! Of course it was mostly a Post sportwriter that whined about that, not posters here....

Posted by: sarsippius | April 21, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I was just hoping you werent going to say we need Nylander's groin out there... cause that would be not funny...

Posted by: JSchon | April 21, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

@ JSchon

NBC

Posted by: Fat Jack | April 21, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

In your OV article, thanks for including his strategy for eluding his defenders. Nice article. OV seems to have realized that it isn't all up to him. That helps him relax, play natural, and do better.

Thanks again.

Posted by: Dezlboy | April 21, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

TARIK DISCUSSION ON WASH POST at 2:30 TODAY.....don't forget!

Posted by: Dezlboy | April 21, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

@Fat Jack

Huh?

Posted by: JSchon | April 21, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Fat Jack - saw that you said thanks for heckleing on the other post, however, I did not see you... I was down there in the corner - you should have said what's up. I asked one guy if he was fat jack and he kinda gave me an awkward stare...

Posted by: 828 | April 21, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I am baaaaaaaaaack

And by the Way....

Tonight is the end. Sorry Capts fan, but you deserve to loose... cause you make my life a living hell.

that's it....

See you another day bunch of looooser...

I am so angry that if you win the serie I will kill myself and that's not a joke

Posted by: The MAN | April 21, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

HEY Moose 33,
My son plays on the same team as Nylander's kid so i see him twice a week he is good to go ( for next season)

Posted by: Willy | April 21, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

jschon add NBC to to your list

Posted by: Fat Jack | April 21, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I hope you flyer fans got your d cell batteries and your phillies season tickets ready cuz your hockey season is about to be over.

Posted by: CapManJ | April 21, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Dave:
I don't know where they are from exactly ... they have lived here a loooong time (over 10 years), but they are still United fans! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | April 21, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

@The Man
Are you truly illiterate (means not being able to read and write) or are you just messing with us?

Posted by: Hook | April 21, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

828, bald guy red GREEN jersey

Posted by: Fat Jack | April 21, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Boo,
Once a Red, always a Red. Have they lost their Manc accents yet? Think Liam/Noel Gallagher, if you have ever heard of them!

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | April 21, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Hey MAN, should i call 911

Posted by: Fat Jack | April 21, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

@Boo

No question: Matt is Fan #1.
Dave in UK can be #2.
But credit where credit is due. I follow my team from Asia. That means watch Game 6, period 1 at home, throw a tape in the VCR, get to work (it's Tuesday morning), listen to periods 2 and 3 on the radio feed from nhl.com, and if the game goes to OT, rush back home for lunch.

I've followed this team from Vladivostok to Phnom Penh - that's life in the Foreign Service.

And I've been a die-hard since season 3 (remember Ace Bailey, Guy Charron, Ron Low, Cap fans?)

A MUST WIN - Go CAPS!!!!!

Posted by: tokyo fan | April 21, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

828.....hook up tommorrow night

Posted by: fat jack | April 21, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

@tokyo....been there for a long time, Charron is a coach with hurricanes i believe or one of the SE teams forget which one right now, and Low has been a head coach, EDM I think and Ace was killed on 9/11. He was scout if I remember right, the Bruins, and was on the first plane. If he had known what was going to happen, it would not have. Tough guy.

Posted by: Rich C | April 21, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Tokyo:
You are definitely higher up the pecking order than me.
1. Matt
2. Tokyo
3. me

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | April 21, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

@the ump,

Feel sorry for you that you have to claim idiots like the man as yours.

Posted by: Steve R | April 21, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

@the Man

What is the overall mood among Flyers fans would you say? I'm guessing its a nervous optimism??

Posted by: dave | April 21, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Anyone going out to watch the game tonight?

Probably Front Page, but maybe Summers?

Posted by: Super | April 21, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

For out-of-towners with DirecTV, I just got off the phone with them and they agreed to sell me Center Ice (which runs until May 17) for a one-time fee of $30... it's still a lot for potentially ONE game but it's about the amount of money you'd expect to pay to sit at a bar for three hours... Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Good luck, and go CAPS!

Posted by: Donnie | April 21, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I actually can't believe that a person is saying we are getting favors from the refs. From what I see, most of the "questionable calls" are being given to Caps. Case in point, the Fedorov short handed penalty that Prospal scored on the 5 on 3, and what about the Kozlov being pushed into the goalie with 3 minutes left in Game 4 where we had the momentum at the end of the game.

The only questionable calls Ive seen on Philly is was Hatcher playing hockey or cricket when he two handed axed Backstrom or anytime 5'7 Briere runs into the goalie and is told "if you do that again, we will have to give you a penalty".

From where I am sitting, the refs have done a pretty poor job all around but at least they are consistent.

I know the real reason you are on here Philly fans, you are wondering, do you think OV will wake up in one of these final two games and take control of the series. That answer is still to come. But if your man Timonen keeps giving him the space he gave him last game, the refs, the fans, the noise, the stars, etc. arent gonna decide this series.

Posted by: Roger # 94 | April 21, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

My observation from last game comes right off the opening face-off. Semin went after the first things he saw with a white jersey on. He basically set the tone that if we go down today..your coming down with us.

I really think we need to see something like that tonight. Even if gets us a 2 min penalty...Just dont do anything too stupid, and end up with a double minor or a 5-3.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 21, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

@Rich C - Yes, I knew about Ace - very tragic. Did you know he played with Bobby Orr with the B's and Gretzky with the Oilers? In fact, Gretzky wrote a tribute to him in the first issue of Sports Illustrated after 9/11.

@Dave - thanks, brother, let's call it a tie.

Man, I can't wait for this game. We can beat this team. GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: tokyo fan | April 21, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

@Super

Front Page + Game 4 2OTL= Bad Luck

Posted by: Roger #94 | April 21, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Fat Jack - yep, as soon as I get tickets... we can meet at the same place - down by the corner tomorrow night. I should know tomorrow if I am going or not.

Tarik - seriously, you should get "The Man" help... if he is talking about suicide, he def needs help. Can you track his ip address down?

Posted by: 828 | April 21, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

@SA Town...

I've seen you there on the Philly Blogs... I assuming you are SA Town there too... Good job...

Posted by: JSchon | April 21, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Tarik - the reason why I say that... the same thing happened 20 years ago when the Caps came back from 3-1 Philly series lead. It was a shame - he was a good guy.

Posted by: 828 | April 21, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Tokyo........I did know that Ace played with Both...this one I am not sure of,but I think Orr played his last game against the caps when he was with Hawks. I remember vividly him skating off during the game and not coming back. He retired shortly there after. I tried to google it, but I could not find that detail.

Posted by: Rich C | April 21, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Rich C - Bobby Orr definitely played at Cap Center as a Hawk - but I don't know either if it was his last game. I remember that game being promoted on the telescreen - I must have been at a game earlier that week!

Posted by: tokyo fan | April 21, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

If people if Philly did themselves in after playoff failures, that town would have been depopulated a looonnnnggggggggg time ago. I'm just sayin.

Posted by: Steve R | April 21, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

It's gonna be a long day...

He tokyo fan, since it's already tuesday, is my monday gonna be as bad as it has started? and what are the lottery numbers for tonight?

That joke never fails to crack me up...

Posted by: Leeguru | April 21, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

TIME MACHIIIINE!

Posted by: Jordan | April 21, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know what channel the Caps game will be on DirecTV out of town for those who get or have Center Ice? My guide still shows it on Versus.

Posted by: epb | April 21, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Leeguru
You really need to get away fromt the dealership more if that joke cracks you up

Posted by: billd | April 21, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

@Tokyo....Orr played 2 season with Hawks, the game I saw was in the second season. I do not know how many times he played at Cap Center. I would be curious if I did not his last game.
and If it is Tuesday in Tokyo, who the hell won the game?

Posted by: Rich C | April 21, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

@billd,

YOu have no idea. Vacation is in August....

Posted by: Leeguru | April 21, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

NHL network 215
Versus 604 or 603
Comcast 629
FSN 633?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

@epb

I have Center Ice through Directv.

They usually pick up the Comcast feed starting around channel 770. I have to check myself tonight as I was expecting to see it on Versus myself.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 21, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Rich - I'd have to check my old media guides, but they're in storage. That's my proudest collection - I have every Caps media guide since season 1! (except, of course, the lockout season a few years ago).

In answer your question: Caps win, 5-3, Ovie hat trick!

No joke: it is a time machine, when I fly to Honolulu, I arrive before I have "left".

It's 1 am here, time to rack out so I can get up for the game in seven hours...

Posted by: tokyo fan | April 21, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

CT Caps Fan,

Are you in CT? I'm in Stamford but don't have Center Ice. Am I out of luck with watching this game unless I go to a bar or buy the one game for $30 like someone suggested. What channel is FSN?

Posted by: Moose33 | April 21, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Moose33,

FSN is Fox Sports but they do not carry Caps games only Comcast Sportsnet.

If Versus is not carrying the game, and it sounds like they are not, the only way is through Center Ice.

I live in Darien. I would invite you over, but that may be a little strange to explain to the wife and kids :)

Also, I won't be home until after the game starts. I have to tivo the beginning.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 21, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

CT Caps

Thanks for the info and the consideration of having a complete stranger come over and watch a Caps game. Looks like I will be ordering Center Ice for 1 game.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 21, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Since there's no other NHL game besides Montreal v. Boston on VERSUS, the game will most likely be on 770 for the Center Ice heads.

Posted by: Donnie | April 21, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Moose33,

Would have been nice to watch a game with a fellow fan. We probably know each other anyway.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 21, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

@MooseCaps & CT Caps Fan --
I live in Norwalk and will be watching the game at the Black Bear in SoNo. They have Center Ice, so I've been watching all the games there for the last couple months.

Posted by: Jesstyr | April 21, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Ace Bailey won two Cups with the Bruins, but was a MA-based scout for the Kings when he was murdered.

Posted by: redlineblue | April 21, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

CT Caps,

It always is. When I'm watching the Caps, I'm usually by myself in my living room yelling at the TV (my wife is not so interested).

Posted by: Moose33 | April 21, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Jesstyr,

I've been to Black Bear a couple times. My office is in Norwalk. Maybe I'll do that if there are going to be fellow Caps fans out. Damn it, and to think we could have had some decent CT Caps Club meetings this whole time!

Posted by: Moose33 | April 21, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

@epb

Go to 629 on Direct TV ...if you have center Ice subscription, you will be able to see the game at 7pm. It got listed on the guide yesterday (replaced college baseball).

Go Caps...

Posted by: Genotype55 | April 21, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Darn it, I wish I would have known too.

Going forward, we need to make plans to meet up. I can't get there tonight, but I am in if we go further.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 21, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@MooseCaps & CT Caps Fan
There is always game 7. I'll be sitting in one of the booths -- not usually joined by Caps Fans, but instead by friends I've convinced to gamble on the game. Makes it a little more lively.
I might just be there myself tonight since its a monday, find me and I'll buy you a beer.

Posted by: Jesstyr | April 21, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I may drive up to CT for a free beer.

Posted by: 828 | April 21, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Jesstyr

Nice, some incentive. I will try to make it out there tonight. Feel free to point yourself out if you see someone going from one booth to the other asking people if they are there to watch the Caps.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 21, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

828

Come on up! I'll buy you one too if you drive to CT.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 21, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Moose33
I'm the big guy in the light blue shirt.

I might be generous and buy Ovie a few beers when he scores 2 tonight to even the series.

Posted by: Jesstyr | April 21, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon
Is there going to be a delivery today or did I already miss it. I just got back in town late last night and have not caught up on the blog board yet? Did I miss anything good??
LETS GO CAPS - KEEP THE FAITH FANS!

Posted by: Greenie | April 21, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse