Heward: Ovechkin is 'One of the Cleanest Players'

Jamie Heward met with the reporters earlier today when he arrived back in Tampa, which for anyone who saw him lying unconscious at Verizon Center yesterday is a great thing to hear. Thanks to Damian Cristodero of the St. Petersburg Times for passing Heward's quotes from the session along.

Heward, who is doing as well as anyone could hope, only found out today that it was Alex Oveckin who hit him.

"Once I found out it was Alex, he's in my opinion, he's probably one of the cleanest players in the NHL as far as being honest," Heward said. "He'll play hard on you, but now that I know it was him, I know it wasn't intentional. I played with him for two years. We were pretty tight when I played there. I totally agree, and I think it was an accident."

*Read more from Heward at both the St. Petersburg Times and Tampa Tribune blogs.

By Katie Carrera  |  January 2, 2009; 9:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bourque Reassigned
Next: Theodore To Start: Semin To Return (Update)

Comments

That's great to hear!

Posted by: RedRocker | January 2, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear he's up to talking to reporters. Hope his recovery is speedy and setback free!

Repost: Russia wins 5-1. I don't hold out much hope for them against Canada. Tavares & Co are going to rip their goalie a new one. He's making waaaaay too many mistakes. His technique blows chunks and Quinn is going to make sure his team takes advantage of his lack of control--rebound and in general--by getting guys to the net and digging for rebounds and going high when Zhelobnyuk commits too early.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 2, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

That makes me feel better & I hope it makes Ovechkin feel better.

Posted by: uncatim | January 2, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

That is great news, and I'm SO glad to hear that Heward believes it to have been an accident. That, more than anything else, will help Ovechkin to know, I think.

Posted by: irockthered | January 2, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

One more final score for y'all:

ATL 4, VAN 3 (SO), so one point each.

Columbus is up 3-1 over Colorado near the end of the 2nd.

The 'Yotes are beating the Islanders, 3-1 at the end of the 2nd.

And Philly (BOO!) is up 1-0 over Anaheim near the end of the 1st. GO ANAHEIM!!!

Posted by: irockthered | January 2, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Class Act...

Posted by: tigger_caps_fan | January 2, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Jamie is a great guy..I personally have met him and his wife. He even waved to me and my kid before the game the other night. He is a CLASS ACT and a very nice guy. Hat's off to you Jamie and best of luck for a speedy return. God bless you and your family.

Posted by: marklee15 | January 2, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Hehehehe! Perry just put one around Biron to tie the Ducks-Flyers game at 1-1. 1st period is now over.

Agreed that Heward is a class act, and I'll say it again: the whole situation was handled in a very sensitive and classy way. There were no lurid replays while Heward was on the ice; there was no camera pointing at Ovechkin - or at the scene going on around Heward. Alzner and I forget who else helped folks without skates make it safely across the ice to help Heward. And nobody on the Bolts' side went for Ovechkin in the aftermath. A clean, but very very unfortunate hit. Best of luck to Heward for a quick recovery!!!

Posted by: irockthered | January 2, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

By "whole situation" I mean at the Verizon Center with regards to views on the Jumbotron...

From what I've seen of the Joe B. - Locker broadcast, they only showed one replay, once, and cut to commercial during a lot of what was going on. There was some Ovi-watching, but overall, I think they kept the camera off him fairly well.

There's a reason I'm not a photojournalist, even though I would have liked to be, and that is that there are places I won't point my camera... I'm glad to know there are some journalists and broadcasters out there with similar views.

Posted by: irockthered | January 2, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

There was a real bad hit in the St. Louis/Carolina game tonight. Tyson Strachan cross checked Ray Whintney head first into the boards....Now that was a dirty hit...take a look at the replay and compare it to Ovie...There is no comparison. Ovie's hit was clean. Hard, but clean.

Posted by: marklee15 | January 2, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

These are two real big points tomorrow. Both Philly and Columbus are playing very well right now. I'd have to say Nash is just a beast tonight.

Posted by: brooklyncapsfan | January 2, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

glad jamie is up and talking.

Posted by: am_jim | January 2, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Anaheim is up 3-2 over Philly, but Ryan Getzlaf just had to be helped to the bench after a big hit at center ice. He was not putting weight on his right leg.

Sbisa got a two minute penalty for boarding that resulted in the Ducks' third goal, but Philly bounced back with one a few minutes ago.

Posted by: irockthered | January 2, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Update: Getzlaf appears to be OK; at least, he was back out on the ice a few minutes ago... Still 3-2 Anaheim, about 7-1/2 minutes left in the 2nd.

Posted by: irockthered | January 2, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to hear OV did not get a hold of Heward.
Hopefully he tried to, or that would be a mistake.
OV is still young though, and he will learn these things as his career matures.
Somebody should pass the Tampa news Heward remarks on to him.

Posted by: OldFan | January 2, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually not worried about Ovechkin not calling Heward. He might not be aware that Heward's home yet, or he might not want to disturb him so soon... Heward was badly injured, after all. I can't imagine Ovechkin not calling him some time this week, but I'm sure he'll hear what Heward had to say from someone... If Heward's OK with Ovechkin not calling him today, I'm OK with it. Hockey guys do have their superstitions, and Heward respects that. That's cool.

Posted by: irockthered | January 2, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear the comments from Jamie. Might shut the annoying Pens and Penguins fans up. Yeah right.

If you wanna see the Slovakian version of the Miracle on Ice and one of the most amazing performances by a goalie you should watch the USA vs. Slovakia WJC quarterfinal. It was supposed to be a blowout for a very good USA team. No one gave them a chance in hell to win. Jaroslav Janus played like a god!

Posted by: ranndino | January 2, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Well, damn.

PHI-ANA is tied at 4-4 at the end of the 2nd.

Posted by: irockthered | January 2, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Thrilled to hear the Heward is doing better and holds no ill will towards Ovie. I've always like Heward - clearly Ovie did, too, and the feeling was/is mutual. Ovie looked and sounded so concerned. Who knows whether or not he has tried to call, but he did plant himself outside the locker room waiting to hear news. He is VERY mature for a player his age - if he has not reached out yet, he surely will (and that's a big if). I just hope Heward has a full recovery soon.

Posted by: --Boo-- | January 2, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

@ jmu_capsgirl

I kinda agree with your assessment of Russia's chances vs. Canada tomorrow, but in this tournament you never know as was shown by two absolutely shocking results today. No one could have predicted USA going out of the tournament at the hands of Slovakia or Latvia destroying Germany 7-1 in the relegation round.

As for Zhelobnyuk, I thought he played very well today. You should listen less to Pierre McGuire. He tries very hard to hide his hate for the Russians, but at the end of the game he totally lost it and started spewing crap about Zhelobnyuk and Russia's coach Nemnchinov for putting his 1st line out there on a late PP with the score at 4-1. I guess it doesn't matter to Pierre that Canada had their top liners out there in the late stages of a 15-0 blowout of poor Kazakhstan.

This is nothing compared to what you'll hear during tomorrow's semifinal when Pierre will turn into the most unobjective homer ever. Judging from previous Canada - Russia games I might have to resort to putting my TV on mute in order to prevent myself from throwing a brick at it.

Posted by: ranndino | January 2, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Great news about Heward. Hope he's back sooner then later.

Too bad about Bourque. I would have liked to have seen him live as a Cap tomorrow. Hopefully he's back up again this year.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 3, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Oh JEEZ! - Cory Perry just took a double minor - hi sticking. #%!@^&$!@

Posted by: irockthered | January 3, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

If the Ducks lose this one, it'll be penalties that do it. They managed to get out of that 4 minute double minor only to be back in a shorthanded situation thanks to a hook by Montador. Way to GO, Ducks! </sarcasm>

Sorry - I really want the Ducks to beat the Flyers...

@BernieWolfeFan - I've enjoyed watching Bourque as both a Bear and a Cap... I was sorry to see him sent back down, too.

Posted by: irockthered | January 3, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

classy comments by Heward. anybody who plays and watches Ovie knows he is about the game and none of the nonsense that sometimes follows it. It was a unfortunate play that had me wondering how Matt Bradley could play after he leveled himself? Heward went out a awkward angle. Odd collision. Good to see he is ok.

Posted by: ergoroc | January 3, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

off topic ... I'm looking for a bar/restaurant to go to in the Adams Morgan/Dupont Circle area that will have the game on tomorrow night. Any ideas?

Posted by: AMHV2772 | January 3, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

@AMHV2772 - If you're able to get to Metro, instead of Adams Morgan/Dupont Circle, why don't you come join us down at Mister Day's? It's less than a block from Clarendon Metro, at 3100 Clarendon Blvd., on the corner of Washington Blvd and Highland St. in Arlington, and a whole bunch of us will be down there. It would be great if you could come join us!

Posted by: irockthered | January 3, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Crap. Anaheim-Philthy is going to a shootout.

Posted by: irockthered | January 3, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

DAMMIT!!! - Philthy won the shootout. That was an extremely sloppy game on the part of the Ducks. They should have taken the Flyers, but they let them get even. Grr. That puts the Flyers with 49 points and only behind the Rangers because they've had more goals scored against them (118 to 107), because they've sure scored more than the Rangers have (131-107). ARGH!

The Flyers are playing the Los Angeles Kings tomorrow night, though, in a back-to-back, and they're at home, so they're going to be at a disadvantage from the three-hour time zone issue. And we're playing the Rangers, so the Kings had just BETTER pound the Flyers into the ground!!!

And ditto to us on the Rangers. I hope we're ready to play a sharp game with them, because if we're not, it could go very badly.

Posted by: irockthered | January 3, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Final Scores Tonight

MTL 1, NJD 4
STL 1, CAR 2
VAN 3, ATL 4 SO
CBJ 6, COL 1
NYI 4, PHX 5
PHI 5, ANA 4 SO

And correction. The Flyers will move to the top of their division, because they have played one game fewer than the Rangers, and are tied for points, so their record is better. #@!^&$%!#@! </fume>

Can you tell I can't stand the Flyers?

Grumble.

Posted by: irockthered | January 3, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

Good for Heward that was a stand up thing to do

Posted by: dcfury | January 3, 2009 2:39 AM | Report abuse

Class act by Heward. OVI shouldn't be affected by this. Back to score and hit russian machine :D

@irockthered
The Ducks aren't the team that won the cup anymore. They desperately need some talent in the offense, Getzlaf alone is not going to do it. Pronger is what's keeping them afloat right now, if he goes out they'll sink.

Posted by: mauree | January 3, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Maybe, Croce, model ship making, log rolling, cliff diving, fencing or jogging or is it yogging with a silent "j", apparently you just run a period of time, its wild stuff.

Posted by: JSchon | January 3, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

JSchon, you took the time to count? :)

Too bad USA is out - Jurcina must be over the moon right now. :) I'd like to see Russia take out Canada, if only because I like rooting for the underdog. I haven't been watching the WJC that much if at all - any place to get it online?

Classy act by Heward. I hope it reassures Ovechkin some, and best wishes for a speedy and setback-free recovery.

I hope we come out flying against the Rangers. No sloppy stuff, please, because if we go sloppy in any of our next three games we WILL get torched. Philly and Columbus are playing well right now, like someone else said, and I REALLY want the Philly game just 'cuz.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 3, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

@mauree - I'm less worried that the Ducks lost than I am that the Flyers won, if that makes any sense? I'm not a Ducks fan, but I'm considerably more not a Flyers fan...

The Flyers played sloppy last night and still managed to get a win, but it was a hugely important win for them, and it puts them RIGHT behind us in the standings, with 49 points to our 53. I do not want to see us drop behind the Flyers. I want them well out of it in time for the playoffs.

Posted by: irockthered | January 3, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon - Guess I'm just not one of the popular kids... :-p

Posted by: irockthered | January 3, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

That is awesome news about Heward...hopefully he is back on the ice soon.

@irockthered....if you are in virginia, why would you go to Mister Days over Crystal City Sports Pub. That is one of the top sports bars in the nation...especially with the relatively new 3rd floor. If you haven't been, check it out, it will blow your mind. I thought it was better than any Vegas sports place I have been to.

Hoping my boy gets some tickets for the Rangers game so I can pull a double shift at Verizon tonight. I am getting ready to go to the Georgetown/Pitt game. I will be courtside in my CAPS jersey rocking the red : )!!! Look for me hehe!

Posted by: CapsSkins | January 3, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

@CapsSkins - I'm actually up by Baltimore, in Elkridge, and I'm going to Mister Days because I have an invite from another person who posts here. :-) It's got nothing to do with the atmosphere and everything to do with the people who put out the invite.

Posted by: irockthered | January 3, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Mr Days turns into one the premier pick-up spots in Arlington for young and not so hot singles on Saturday night. Wear your really cool jeans and make sure you like to dance to latest in hip hop.

Posted by: JSchon | January 3, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Y'know... I'm an idiot. For some reason, I thought the Caps were playing in New York tonight, not at home. D'OH! I will be at the Verizon Center with bells on!

(((>.<)))!

Posted by: irockthered | January 3, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

gotcha...one day stop by CCSP and check it out. They have something like 50 flatscreens in their new 3rd level with I think 3 large projections and sportslines updated constantly on multiple boards. You can become severly overloaded with the amount of sports up there!

Posted by: CapsSkins | January 3, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

@irockthered..ohh yeah...and howdy neighbor...I am in Columbia!

Posted by: CapsSkins | January 3, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

@CapsSkins - Actually, I don't think I'd like the overload. I liked Mister Days because it was a small venue and wasn't horribly loud.

@JSchon - Gee. Thanks. What are you implying there? :-p First you poke fun at me for not being responded to last night when everyone else was out and I was not, and then you poke fun at me for my choice of sports bar? You're not being very nice today. :-p

Posted by: irockthered | January 3, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

@CapsSkins - Howdy!

Posted by: irockthered | January 3, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I was only warning would be Mr Days goers what they can expect tonight. I thought I was doing everybody a favor.

Tuesday night at Mr Days is WAY different than Sat night.

Posted by: JSchon | January 3, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Me, I'm just waiting to see the news for the Rangers game tonight. I'm guessing that JT60 gets the start against Lundqvist. Here's hoping for a strong 60 minutes against this team - did we maybe learn our lesson last time? I can only pray and hope because if we didn't we're likely to get a regift of the Christmas present we gave them last time.

Still trying to figure out why the hell we kept Giroux and sent Bourque down - that's almost as much of a headscratcher as the Erskine contract in my mind. That kid is not getting a decent break up here and it annoys the crap out of me. I want to see him get several games up here, he's more than earned it, and Giroux just isn't converting on those cherry picks. Is it maybe because Giroux is older? *shrug*

Posted by: kittypawz | January 3, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I'll backtrack on goalies. I think BB would like to give JT another go at the Flyers on Tuesday night, and by that logic (JT likes to have multiple games in-a-row to get a groove) I think he starts JT tonight.

These next two games are mega - if we can knock down the Rangers (and own the season tiebreaker against them with any kind of point tonight), and then hammer the Flyers...all will be even better than it already it...

Verizon should be packed tonight.

Posted by: saintex | January 3, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

@saintex - Verizon will be packed tonight, and we'd best be ready to make some noise, because the Rangers fans will be there in abundance, and they are loud as heck.

I'm waiting for news on the goalie, but I won't be surprised if BB keeps it all to himself right up to the last minute. That seems to work pretty well. :-)

The Flyers did not play well last night, but the Ducks... played worse. They gave up a 4-1 lead and lost the thing in the shootout. The standings are pretty fluid right now, but if we can keep up our streak - and I hope and pray we can - we should be OK.

Posted by: irockthered | January 3, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

@kittypawz - Sending Bourque back bugs me too... how's that for alliteration? I don't get why we kept Giroux, unless we're trying to get him to sharpen his breakout skills at the NHL level. He's got 18 goals for the Bears to Bourque's 8, but Bourque has 21 assists to his 12. They're pretty even in points - Giroux has 30 and Bourque 29.

Posted by: irockthered | January 3, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Oh, hey guys - if you guys want an ego boost, check out the Bruins' home page. They've got a poll on it "who's the Bruins' toughest competition in the Eastern Conference?" Caps win far and away.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 3, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I expect the usual Rangers crowd - especially on a Saturday night. I've had some pretty funny and enjoyable visting fans sitting near me this season (Islanders in particular, but what else have they go?) and the Rangers group last game was good. They're cheering their team and as long as they all play nice, things are fine.

Now, Flyers fans on Tuesday...that's different.

Posted by: saintex | January 3, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Re: Bourque vs. Giroux - The stats I posted are with the Hershey Bears. Here are some more.

With the Caps, Giroux has played 11 games, has 1 goal, 1 assist and 2 points, but is +4.

Bourque has played 10 games (6 this season, 4 last), has 1 goal, no assists, and 1 point. Last year with the Bears, he played in 73 games and had a career high 28 goals; this year with the Bears, he is on pace for 20 or so.

Giroux is on pace with the Bears to better his career high 42 goals.

Posted by: irockthered | January 3, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

@saintex - What section are you in? I'll admit the Rangers fans are well-behaved, but they are louder by nature than we are, so we've got to stay on top of that to keep being the "7th man" on the ice for our team. :-)

Posted by: irockthered | January 3, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

ovechkin is far from the cleanest player, but that is good news.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 3, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

youre doing a great job katie, but umm, is tarik on vacation or what?

Posted by: ahbest3 | January 3, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

kittypawz:
found this link from tsn.ca - you can try it for online wjc game
it lists the Sweden vs. Slovakia game as available in sweden only though.
Russia vs. Canada doesn't have the 'watch' link for the 7:30 ET game.
the nhl network is scheduled to show both games

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 3, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I think one other thing that will help OV is the high number of ex-Caps on the Bolts. If it was just Heward, that would be one thing, but he was able to convey his concern through Olie and others.

The Bolts are the 2004 Caps.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | January 3, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

he said he was taking a day off.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 3, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

"Good grief... 14 0f 30 posts by irockthered and not one was responded too... Time for alternative hobby."

a little hypocritical maybe jschon? if i recall, you were that guy last season and through the summer

Posted by: ahbest3 | January 3, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I don't think I get NHL network on my current Comcast subscription, and they get enough of my money thanks :( Thanks for the online link, Kirk. I'll check it out.

@saintex: Yeah, agreed. Usually I end up with visiting fans in the row behind me, and most of them have been okay. The Rangers guys and, oddly, the Bruins guys were good people even if they root for the wrong team. The Maple Leafs fans were baffled by the booing for Boudreau until I explained it.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 3, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm normally up in 413 but I snagged a pair in Row A / 400 last Rangers game. Man, those are sweet.

Posted by: saintex | January 3, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

new post by Tarik

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | January 3, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Giroux: 6'3", 201, +4
Bourque:5'7", 181, 0

Next two games: NYR; PHI...two teams with large bodies and good offensive production. It looks to me like Giroux is a better fit both size and defensive awareness.

Giroux will be a more effective player in the long haul than Bourque because of his size and speed not to mention his good release. Chris Bourque looks to be an energy guy and the Caps got a lot of those already. BB likes Giroux and it looks like he's being groomed as a future power forward aka Viktor Kozlov and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the next couple of years lined up on the right side of Backstrom and OV.

And why is he considered a cherry picker? I always thought cherry picker had a negative meaning-a player who doesn't backcheck and lazily hangs out at the opposition blueline waiting for a long breakout pass. I don't see Giroux fitting this definition but rather a player because of his speed and timing can stretch out defenses and create scoring opportunities.

Posted by: meagle | January 3, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Good on you,Jamie Heward and hope you recover quickly and get back on the ice. Hope AO feels ok as well. He was obviously shaken. He'll need to be in top form against the nasty Rangers. Big time Saturday night hockey in DC. Love it.

Posted by: ridgely1 | January 3, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse