Goalie Braden Holtby has learned to be patient

While much of the chatter surrounding the Caps' summer development camp has been about Marcus Johansson, there's another prospect who's close to being NHL-ready: goaltender Braden Holtby.

There's just one problem. Two of the NHL's top prospects at his position -- Semyon Varlamov and Michal Neuvirth -- happen to occupy the spots just ahead of him on Washington's depth chart.

For Holtby, a 2008 fourth-round draft pick, that means an uncertain future and, more immediately, at least one more year in Hershey.

"Obviously, I'm kind of expecting to put in my time [with the Bears] in order to get to the next level," said Holtby, the only player in this week's camp who has suited up for a Capitals game, having served as a backup on five occasions last season. "But I firmly believe that if you're good enough to be in the NHL, you're going to make it. Right now, I'm just focused on playing in Hershey next year and improving and making myself into an NHL caliber goalie."

Holtby's first pro season was a strange one. The 20-year-old Saskatchewan native started in South Carolina with the ECHL's Stingrays, took over the starting job role in Hershey, then moved over as Neuvirth returned from injury and led the Bears to their second straight Calder Cup.

As strange as it was, though, Holtby's rookie season also marked the moment when he became a legit NHL prospect. He went 24-8-2 with the Bears while posting an impressive .917 save percentage and 2.32 goals-against average.

"He's doing everything in the world right now to prove himself," Capitals Coach Bruce Boudreau said of Holtby. "Here's a guy who was expected to play most of the year in the East Coast last year and he ended up being the number one goalie for an awful long time in Hershey. He's a year ahead of [schedule]. And this year, he's going to go down there knowing he's an incumbent down there so his confidence should be high."

"The cream already rises to the top," the coach added. "Neuvy and Varly are two years ahead of him. It will be interesting to see where Braden is in the same time frame."

Now it's a just a matter of Holtby waiting for his opportunity. And being ready when the call comes.

"In order to be a successful goalie, you have to believe [enough in yourself] that you can outplay any goalie, no matter where they are," Holtby said. "Neuvy and Varly are outstanding goalies, and everyone knows that. But I believe in my abilities and that I can be an NHL goalie one day, whether it's next year or four years down the road."

Holtby will enter next season as the No. 3 goaltender in the organization. But he's going to have to be sharp to ensure that recently-signed 29-year-old veteran Dany Sabourin doesn't unseat him.

"It's always good to have someone there to push you," Holtby said. "Getting to the NHL isn't going to come without adversity. It's going to be battle for games this year. I would play every game if I could."

While Holtby's long-term outlook with the Caps might be a bit fuzzy, his eyesight isn't. Anymore, that is. Holtby, who used to be known for his stylish glasses, had Lasik surgery a little more than a week ago and now is glasses and contact lens free.

"I'm blaming a few goals in today's practice on the eyes," he said with a laugh. With laser corrected vision, things "won't get blurry if you get water [in your eyes] or if you get hit it won't shift your vision. It's definitely nice to get up in the morning and see your alarm clock."

Some other notes from Day 2:

*A second day of drills and systems work just wrapped up here at KCI. The important stuff -- at least from the coaching staff's point of view -- begins tomorrow at 3:15 when Group A and Group B scrimmage.

*Alaska-Anchorage Coach Dave Shyiak is this summer's guest coach. It's a bit of networking for the Caps. Shyiak is now someone they know and trust, and can call for an opinion on a college prospect.

*GM George McPhee said the Caps and restricted free agent Tomas Fleischmann are "talking". McPhee also didn't leave me with the impression that anything is imminent. If the sides don't agree on a new deal, they'll go to arbitration on July 28.

*Boudreau reiterated how impressed he's been with Johansson's skating. The 2009 first-rounder has, by far, the smoothest stride in camp.

*The campers were scheduled to go on a cruise around DC after today's grueling sessions.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  July 13, 2010; 3:24 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau on Johansson: 'He sees the play real well'
Next: Caps sign winger Brian Willsie

Comments

Package one of the goalie prospects with other prospects or draft picks for Patrick Sharp. He's on the block and the Caps desperately need a legit 2nd line center. The Hawks have unsure goaltending with the Niemi situation. It's a perfect fit for a trade.

Posted by: mja712 | July 13, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Nice to get a good read on Holtby. Flush with young goalies is a pleasant problem to have.

Posted by: Riddler1 | July 13, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Riddler1 | July 13, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

DROP THE PUCK!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | July 13, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

What Capt. Kirk said LOL - let's go. Time to start the season. No offense to summer sports but this is a major time of the year for sports withdrawal. August can't get here fast enough - college and NFL football practices get going and ooo la la - hockey is right behind :)

Posted by: Jonathan6 | July 13, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

76 days since the game 7 collapse against mtl
71 days until CBJ on 9/22
87 days until the real thing on 10/8

we're almost half way there

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | July 13, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I just hope this dany guy doesnt come in and think hes got holtbys job in hershey.OR if there a problem with either varly or neuvy that hes the man to come up.Holtby has put his work in and has shown hes ready to try and make the next step.And i dont think trading away a goalie prospect is the best idea either.With varlys history of getting hurt theres gonna be that chance for holtby to prove himself.And if one of em do go down i dont want to be stuck with dany boy as our #1 guy.Keep him around,give him his chance and see what happens.Now i do agree with trading some top prospects for a top dman or center.

Posted by: gratefuldid | July 13, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Funny on the other thread I put would you trade MaJo and a #2 for Sharp and ThePat instantly said "Yes" and Timbo just as quickly said "No, not even straight up."

It's the kind of deal that would appeal to them, though.

Would you trade Varly or Neuvy for Sharp and then let Holtby and Sabourin fight for back-up?

CHI wants prospects = young + cheap to fill out the roster.

You can throw in Aucoin. They can actually use him (very cheap).

Posted by: tominsocal1 | July 13, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Here's an offer:

Neuvy, MaJo, Aucoin and #1 pick maybe for...

Sharp and Niemi.

Then move Flash for picks.

Marginal cap hit = $3.5M.

Do you do it? Does Chicago?

Remember...the 2 Hawks are Cup winners.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | July 13, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal

Some people on here are overvaluing prospects. You never know what they will turn into. So many turn into nothing and you are willing to turn down the exact type of player the Caps need for a "well in a couple seasons he may be good." I know people are high on MaJo but Id rather have the player that can complete this team right now. We still have a lot of prospects.

Regarding your goalie trade above, I dont think Chicago would do it. If they did that, they wouldnt need Niemi and therefore wouldnt need to get rid of Sharp really.

Posted by: ThePat | July 13, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

ThePat:
that trade is basically tell chi - if you want to get rid of niemi, it will also cost you sharp

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | July 13, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

@ ThePat. The Hawks would never do that trade. The only reason they would trade Sharp is if that was the only way to get back Neimi so trading both defeats the purpose. Neimi is a free agent Kirk so they can get rid of him as you say by just not resigning him so if that is what they want why give up Sharp too.

I think if we gave them Nuevy and either a prospect or pick for Sharp they would do it for two reasons. One it would give them a backup since Huet is probably getting dumped to the minors to get rid of his cap hit. It would also give the Hawks an upper hand in Neimi contract talks because they would not be in a position where they would HAVE to resign him or have no good goalie.

@gratefuldid I think that if one of our goalies gets hurt that is will be Sabo who gets called up. This is because he is 29 and has peaked in terms of what getting games will do. Since if he gets called up he is going to get very few games it would be better to have Holtby still start in the AHL and have sabo sit on the bench in DC rather then waste Holtby's time by having him on the bench in DC.

Posted by: icehammer97 | July 13, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Holtby WILL get time in DC this season. How many games either Varly or Neuvy miss will be the number of games Holtby gets in DC. If there is a stretch where either Varly or Neuvy is out, I'm sure BB will give the backup a game like in any other situation. It is unrealistic to think any goalie pair will be totally healthy or available for the entire season so I'm looking forward to seeing Holtby between the pipes in '10/'11.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | July 13, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I think on the otehr thread I put, even with Huet waived, CHI has $5.75M space and they need 4 forwards, 2 d-men and 2 goalies to fill out roster. Unless they can dump campbell, unlikely, that's $700K each for those 8 players is what they can pay. And that doesn't include Niemi. If they move Niemi and Sharp, they now have $9.6M for 9 players - more manageable (still Niemi wasn't included). Trade back Neuvy, MaJo and Aucoin and they have $7.3M to pay 6 players if they use all three of our traded guys.

While this might not exactly appeal to the Hawks, this is what they must do to play next year. They really can't keep Niemi unless they move Sharp, and even then it's very tight. A cheap goalie who can play really helps them. Three good players at $1M avg and a pick will buy you Sharp and Niemi. Maybe.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | July 13, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

@icehammer

I know they wouldnt. Thats what I was saying. Just my words got tangled as I was typing fast before a conference call.

Posted by: ThePat | July 13, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I hope Giroux does well in Edmonton. He really does need to prove himself at the NHL level and hopefully, this will be the test to stay at this level. Either that or he will be relegated as a minor league lifer. At age 29, I don't think there is a whole lot of games left for him. Good luck Alex.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | July 13, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Niemi is not that good.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 13, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

@icehammer

I totally agree. The Hawks aren't getting rid of Niemi. I don't think we should get rid of MaJo. He has too much potential. But the whole rationale for drafting all these goalies was to use some as trade bait. Now they are in a perfect situation with a team desperate for cap space who happens to have a great #2 center available. Now is the time to make the trade. Give them Nuvy and either Gustaffson or a future 2nd rounder for Sharp. I think they would take it.

Posted by: mja712 | July 13, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk,

And the beer sucks!

Posted by: jwash4472 | July 13, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

If the Caps staff believes as highly in MaJo as it seems they do then no way would I do that move.

First, I do not think that highly of Niemi. I think he is decent, but not much better, if at all than Varly or Neuvy. So I would rather have them at their lower prives.

On MaJo, I haven't seen him so I cannot make any judgements from my own viewing. But the only players the Caps seemed this highly on a year after they were drafted were Carlson and Backstrom.

If the Caps staff think of MaJo in that sort of group then you do not deal him because MaJo will then be a very solid to a very good center for an ELC.

Again, I am only saying IF the Caps staff thinks of MaJo this way. I don't know how he will turn out and really have no predictions.

In addition, the Hawks are in a bind and will have to sell on some of their players, so they may have to get rid of them at a lower price. This is obviously contingent on how many teams bid on him, but a lot of possible bidding teams are capped out too.

Lastly, I like Sharp and think he is a good player, but I'm not as high on him as others here. As someone already mentioned, Hossa seems to make his centers look better than what they are.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 13, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

This trade talk has got to stop. MJ is likely NB2 and there are fantasy gamers who are packaging him up and sending him on his way right after he signed a 3-year entry-level deal. Think about it...

Posted by: washingtonpost31 | July 13, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

sgm: It's interesting because some here say "Yes" and some say "No."

That means it's close to a fair deal.

Niemi not that good but is a Cup winner. And if's not that good, why would Hawks wheel and deal to keep him?

Yes, I would like to keep our cheap goalies. But, you can deal Neuvy, make Saborin the back-up and then rent a vet at the deadline if needed.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | July 13, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: washingtonpost31 | July 13, 2010 5:33 PM

I seriously doubt he's "NB2." Maybe Towes is "NB2," but that's about it.

Second, I'm not a fantasy gamer. I'm a Caps fan. Admittedly, though, I know very little and you are probably much more knowledgeable than I am.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | July 13, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

I think the Hawks would get rid of him but are afraid with ending up with little to nothing. If the Hawks could sign a Turco or other UFA goalie for $1.5M(if the player would be willing to accept) then I think they will pass on Niemi's arbitration award.

I don't think Chicago can walk until that award is handed out. They might just be biding their time and will release Niemi after the award is handed out. Also, it would be a tough PR move to move Niemi now too.

Overall, I think that would be a terrible trade for Washington. (this is contingent on the Caps having extremely high regards for MaJo. As nearly as high as their regards were for Carlson and Backstrom at the same point in their careers and they seemed to be right on those two).

If the Caps do not think that highly of MaJo then it would be more doable(Although I wouldn't want Niemi for that price under any circumstance)

Posted by: sgm3 | July 13, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

----------

I agree, glad to hear someone else is sensing the same thing [goes without saying of course, other than #8]. And I have to say, I was pretty damn impressed with Kuznetzov after seeing today's 2nd session, so they must really be high on MAJO to be talking like that.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Chi match SJ for Hjalmarrsson btw, especially given their cap constraints. That kid can play.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | July 13, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

76 days since the game 7 collapse against mtl
71 days until CBJ on 9/22
87 days until the real thing on 10/8

we're almost half way there

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | July 13, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

how many days until the Caps 1st round collapse next year?

lol, just kiddin! well..

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 13, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

how many days until the Caps 1st round collapse next year?

lol, just kiddin! well..

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 13, 2010 6:06 PM

cstanton: Did you ever watch the movie "Kelly's Heroes" with Clint Eastwood? Do you remember how the Donald Sutherland character, Mad Dog, kept telling the Gavin MacLeod character, "You gotta quit with the negative waves, man."

Posted by: tominsocal1 | July 13, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

How about you agree to hold off on any predictions of an April collapse until at least February? Over two months of predicting it should be more than enough time to get your point across.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 13, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Remember...the 2 Hawks are Cup winners.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | July 13, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

that's one of the big voids that need to be filled. Not just any Cup winner. There's a lot of players on Cup teams that don't really add much to another team. But kinda like when the Pens picked up Guerin, thats a good acquisition because he's not just a skill guy. He's a top 6 player who leads thru fire and example. We really need some of that on D and upfront on the top 2 lines.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 13, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Should the Caps say anything else about MaJo than what they are saying? Of course they are going to speak highly of him, whether it's warranted or not. And I'm not saying he's not deserving of it, just pointing out that people should think about it for a second. The team hasn't signed anyone, they have to talk highly of who will currently be the 2nd line center. And don't say the kid is The second coming of Backstrom bc that is lunacy. He may be a good player an fit in fine but he's not a top line Center and that was said when he was drafted.

Posted by: ThePat | July 13, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

yeah i saw kellys heroes, good movie. Donald Sutherland was great in those movies, that one and in the dirty dozen. Best role was the one he pulled off in Ordinary People. To be that gentle a soul in the intense heavy maelstrom that surrounded him was quite a feat. Kinda like Duvall in the Godfather.

was gavin macleod really in kellys heroes? i remember telly savalas

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 13, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

As I said last thread it only makes sense for the caps and Chi to go this way

Flash and up to a 2nd round pick for sharp

Chi lets Flash walk after arbitration and gets 4.9 mil in cap relief we get #2 center for 2 years at a good price

Don't trade prospects epically the centers and goalies we need those positions to work their way out for this season and the future

Posted by: t-bone67 | July 13, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

------

february??!? well that doesn't take much foresight. And anyway, its not that the caps CAN'T do great next year. They have most of the core components and just need to shuffle some pieces. Its just that McPhee's track record indicates he doesn't know what those pieces need to be. And of course Bruce's system needs a philosophical tweak. Based on that I say the Caps most likely lose in the 1st round but definitely are out by the 2nd. Just goin on record is all.

actually, the best thing that could happen to them is to struggle a bit in the reg season and not have a playoff spot sewn up by the trade deadline. Then McPhee has no choice but to reevalue his own vision and make some significant moves.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 13, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

@BernieWolfeFan: I think that if there is going to be a real long stint where a goalie is hurt like with Varly last year then Holtby could be called up because he could get a fair amount of games but if it is just a week or two then it would be better for Holtby to stay in Hershey and play a starters load instead of coming up to DC and playing one or two games.

As for MJ I think that even if he is only 3/4 of Backstrom's production then that is around 50 points in the first season which is an improvement over what we had last year as a #2 center. I think the Caps are going to be very carful with guys especially guys with contracts over two years in the CBA is up then and many seem to think that the cap will go down when a new deal comes.

Posted by: icehammer97 | July 13, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

how's this for positive vibes? Finley jacked up Bob Woods' kid. Gotta love that. I'd like to see him light up Bruce's kid too but he'll probably get shipped off to Siberia if he does that.

Finley, who played one game for Hershey in 2008-09 after his college career concluded, offers a tantalizing combination of size and nasty on-ice attitude.

That combination was on display at the opening workout when he crushed 18-year-old forward Brendan Woods, a budding pro prospect attending camp as an unsigned invitee who is the son of Washington assistant coach Bob Woods.

“That’s just welcome to Joe Finley 2010,” Finley said. “I don’t know what it is. You’re going to lace up the skates, you’re going to take some and give some.”

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 13, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Never thought I'd feel bad for Canadiens fans but yikes did Gauthier get hosed on that one.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | July 13, 2010 5:02 PM

Here's a pretty complete, looking-at-all-angles argument (including the Habs investment in Price) for the Halak deal...

Posted by: YouAreABigWhiner | July 13, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Telly Savalas was on of the sgts, along with Rickles. MacLeod was Sutherlands asst, another tank driver.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | July 13, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 13, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

The top 2 lines need more fire and determination??? OV, Knubs, and Backis were leaders in the playoffs. Backis in his game 2 interview said it was the Caps time to win in overtime and HE did it. OV worked his ass off and if he goal in gm7 counts, we are having a very different conversation this time of year. Knubes is a pure fire breather every night -- he way overplays his skill level.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | July 13, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

t-bone: I still say, why would the Hawks give away Sharp for Flash just to let Flash walk? They can get a young player or two for Sharp, for sure.

icehammer: I'm thinking cap will increase next CBA for two reasons:

1) new TV deal
2) Donald (no relation to Eric) Fehr

Posted by: tominsocal1 | July 13, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

good breakdown of the Halak deal. I don't think its the ripoff that some are claiming. If I was a Habs fan I'd be happy getting back two young big forwards with potential. From that video it looks like Eller has quick hands to go with his nose for the net.

And I'm an Ian Schultz fan from what I've seen in juniors so he does have some upside.

"Ian Schultz gives the Habs a big body on the wing and a physical force that some have even dubbed ‘NHL captain material’ in the future."

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 13, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

"The top 2 lines need more fire and determination???"

I think you answered your own question at the end of your little rant since last I checked the 2nd line is part of the top 2 lines. Unless you know something I don't

"As for the second line, they were non-existent; if they played well, then the Caps could have played for the SC against Chicago."

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 13, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

Posted by: sgm3 | July 13, 2010 6:12 PM

you're always trying to get me to agree to stuff sgm. 2 weeks ago it was to lay out exact groundwork for any McPhee critiques relating to free agency. Now you want me to shut up about the Caps playoff potential until we're 4 months into the season. I can maybe do that if you can get everyone else here on board to stop talking about the Caps playoff potential as well. Last yr there was no shortage of predictions as to how the Caps would just wipe up most of the playoff competition.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 13, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Okay, take this with all the salt in the Great Salt Lake (since it comes from Eklund), but since all kinds of crazy theories/trades are being proposed, figured I'd post this...

"...The Flames continue to kick tires with Savard in Boston and Semin in Washington. A source I talked to today added, "Kovalchuk has been discussed as well, but only if the Kovalchuk camp were to opt for "their plan B." I of course inquired about "plan B" and was told it would be the 3 year/$31M or 2 year/22M plan. This option would open up "if the Kings, Devils and (now Sharks) are unable to get a deal done. Although it is somewhat uncertain if the Sharks are more of a "plan B" team as well. Other Plan B teams include: The Rangers, Islanders, Capitals, Leafs, Canucks, Avalanche, and Wild..."

and...

"... a third team has entered the Kovalchuk Sweeps (or as one source has termed it as of today, "The Clusterchuk Sweeps")...The San Jose Sharks. They would have to move Thornton to make this happen...likely to a team out East who could afford him for one year and would benefit from his scoring and one year deal..."

Prob no way to make it happen due to his cap hit, but would anyone be in favor of somehow acquiring Thornton?

Posted by: YouAreABigWhiner | July 13, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

why anyone wants kovalchuk i have no idea. You don't win Cups with individual one-dimensional superstars unless the rest of your team is rock solid and this player isn't counted upon to do anything else but be a cherrypicking scorer.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 13, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Pierre LeBrun believes the Caps are still interested in bringing Belanger back:

Posted by: YouAreABigWhiner | July 13, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

We trade Semin and we get Thornton. Cap cost is $1.2M. You could even then keep Flash if you wanted to.

I would not take Thornton w/o moving significant contract though. You can't. The Semin for Thornton balances our front two lines. Plus, even if you tried to keep Semin but move Flash, the marginal cost of $4.5M is more space than we have. You could trade Flash and Poti to get Thornton, and it would fit tightly in the cap ($2M hit), but I doubt that could work in a three-way deal.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | July 13, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

how many days until the Caps 1st round collapse next year?

lol, just kiddin! well..

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 13, 2010 6:06 PM

this is funny - but i had to take of my rose colored glasses first

assuming the playoffs start on 4/13 and it takes 7 games to lose (14 days) - we are 288 days from the end of the 10/11 season

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | July 13, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

I just would rather have the dialgoue be more like "I think this player would be a good fit for the Caps because..." or "this would be a good move for the Caps because..." or "this would be a bad move for the Caps because..."

After the because clause it should be followed by a crazy statement such as "it will guarantee we will collapse in the 1st round!!!!" or similar type statements.

If you don't like a move it should be followed by reasoning such as "that addition would add another high priced winger which would mean multiple wingers making over $2M/yr would have to play on the 3rd line and get only about 12 minutes per game. Value wise that is not worth it as the 2nd line center position or the open defensive position, which plays more than 12 minutes per game, would be a better area to spend the cap room as the team would get more value for its expenditures."

Basically, we have no idea what the team makeup will be in February (injuries, trades, etc.) or how the team will be playing then. To have a playoff collapse, you are predicting that the players who are on the team today (we do not know what the roster will be so that is a first assumption that decreases the accuracy of your prediction) and how they will play in the following year. For veterans that is ok. But for players such as Carlson, Alzner, MaJo, MP, Neuvy, and other Hershey guys that is a complete guess as you are basing it off of little to no NHL experience and you aren't attending the practices or workouts these players have.

So I equate you predicting a playoff collapse next April to me predicting it will snow on January 11th. Sure, it is a prediction based on some knowledge (for you that the Caps will likely be a top 3 seed and their failure this year which was their only 1st round collapse under this group as Philly had the better regualar season record in '08) (for me that it is winter in January and that is the time of year it snows).

So if it snows on Jan. 11 does that mean I predicted it because I knew what was going to happen? Or that I just made an educated guess knowing that other factors would put the weather in a position to snow on that date? If it happend I would look smart, if not I could just wait until it snowed on the 10th or 12th and just say I got close.

That is basically what you are doing with those predictions because none of us know or have a really good idea what things will be like come early April. There is too much time between now and then and too many things can happen.

That was rambling so I hope I made some sense there and I don't really feel like reading it to check for errors.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 13, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah MaJo (aka Mackan) is definitely not Backstrom 2.0 - he reminds me more of Alfredsson in terms of style. Although Mackan has great vision, he doesn't hold the puck as long Backis and is more of a give and go guy. He's got extremely quick feet and is a very very hard worker. My friend is his (and Farjestad's) off season fitness coach and he's been extremely impressed by his dedication to progress. He had a solid season on one of the most dominant teams outside the NHL and should have a good chance to lock up a 2/3 center spot. 20 points in 42 games (5 points in 7 playoff games) are actually pretty good numbers - the Swedish elite league is very defensively oriented.

Posted by: jakopz | July 13, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | July 13, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

You misinterpreted what I said. I have never seen MaJo play so I am not making any predictions on him.

All I was saying was that I haven't seen the Caps coaches and management be this high on a player, 1 year after being drafted, other than Backstrom and Carlson.

So it would seem that Caps coaches and management are putting thinking of him in the same class of player as the other two because they normally do not do this for their draft picks. I didn't see this sort of reaction in regards to Pokuluk, Finley, Varly, Alzner, or Gustafsson.

This does not mean MaJo will be good. I'm just pointing out how the coaching staff and management seem to viewing him and pointing out the other two times when they acted in a similar way.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 13, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Whats up with all the 'trade neuvy,and MaJo' talk.Why get rid of the caps' potential #1 goalie and a top center prospect for which we need at that position.Frankly i dont think niemi is better than neuvy and whos not to say majo doesnt become a star center and better than sharp.I'm for tryn to get a top 2 center but not if it involves OUR best prospects.Now maybe gus,a draft pick and flash but not neuvy or majo.Plus as I,ve been sayn since last year,I really think neuvy is gonna take top spot out of all of em.Call me crazy,its your right,but being a hockey goalie for so long i kinda have a nack for that position and just see something more in neuvy than the rest.I also love varly so its gonna be close.(plus varly is now wearing my number and fav. caps goalie number so he just moved up in my book)! Either way its gonna be fun to watch that position this year.but dont trade neuvy for less.GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | July 13, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe people criticize McPhee. With all of the playoff success and Cups he's won, you'd think they'd cut him some slack...

Posted by: alanb1 | July 13, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alanb1 | July 13, 2010 9:21 PM

this comment confirms my suspicions - gmgm should be in the gm hof

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | July 13, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

how can you predict how the Caps will do in the playoffs next April?

it's easy if you watched them in the playoffs the last 3 years... not much has changed as far as the personnel

if all you can do is HOPE that they get better with age, you might have better luck with some wine and cheese.

Posted by: joek443 | July 13, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Big Butt Johansson seems to be taking the camp by storm.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | July 13, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

I agree with your assessment about the reaction of Caps management to Marcus Johansson or Mackan (tho' I don't know if that's a personal nickname). It is comparable to their reaction to Carlson at last year's camp.

I went on Monday, and he was indeed very good. I understood why management felt so positive about him. Aside from his skating and stick skills he was extraordinarily composed on the ice. He knew how to pace himself. He was strong on the puck. He made clean passes. Very smooth and confident. He really really stood out.

Given that Mackan has had two very good seasons with the elite SEL league playing with men, his maturity and composure on the ice makes sense. And he may well be able to make the jump immediately to the NHL. But first he to go to rookie camp, then training camp. Then if he makes the roster he still has the natural learning curve of adjusting to the NHL.

So he still has a substantial developmental road ahead. But it sure is great to have a prospect be a few years ahead on the developmental curve. Like Backstrom. Like Carlson. And apparently like Holtby too.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | July 13, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I don't see why we'd get rid of Neuvy right now. He hasn't even played a full year in the NHL and yet and was obviously the king of the AHL netminders. Plus I think he's less accident prone than Varly and has a better glove. If it wasn't for Varly's experience Neuvy would blow him out of the water for the #1. I don't think you could trade either goalie right now. Varly is very likely to get hurt and we'll really be leaning on Neuvy to step up and carry the team. But honestly, what the hell do I know?

Posted by: LloydChristmas | July 13, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

As for next season's playoffs it's all just hypotheticals at this point--waste of good pixels only.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | July 13, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I think the argument for Europeans not giving their all in the SC playoffs is an interesting point. Obviously, plenty have won SCs but it seems like when a team's "core" are Europeans, the team has more difficulty getting to the finals than if they were North American. Maybe it's coincidence. I guess Detroit didn't have an issue two years in a row with Zetterburg and Datsyuk.

I don't know how Europeans view the SC playoffs, but I know that I wouldn't care as much about a championship over seas than if it was a championship I grew up watching like the SC playoffs. Case in point, I really don't care about the IIHF worlds and I think they draw bigger crowds than the NHL. Oh well.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | July 13, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Sorry if I missed it, but who is the other goalie for tomorrow's scrimmage beside Holtby. It is our prime offseason acquisition?

Posted by: instinct227 | July 13, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

instinct227:
Philipp Grubauer (5th round pick this year?) and Dan Dunn (St. Cloud State NCAA) are listed as being in camp - i'm guessing it will be one of those two.
Dany Sabourin (the aquisition) is a vet - but only 57 nhl games

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | July 13, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

If you are making a prediction that the Caps will collapse in the first round again then you are only basing that off of last year.

In '09 the Caps lost in 7 games in the 2nd round. In '08 the Caps lost in 7 games to a team that had a better record than them. The Flyers were favored in that series even though the Caps had home ice due to winning the SE division.

If you are basing it off of what happend 15 years ago then you just are not very smart and not really with speaking to. Because that would be making predictions on the outcome of this team and organization based on the lack of success an organization with a different team owner, different team management, different coaches, and different players did. The only constant between then and now is the team name. You might as well just pick any random team in hockey and compare use their success or lack thereof in the mid-90's as an indicator of what will happen this coming year.

I'm not saying the Caps are going to win or anything of that sort, and I am fine with people making statements such as "I think a particular transaction or lack thereof will hurt the Caps chances of advancing deep in the playoffs." But don't give me absolutes.

Because, guess what, you do not know what is going to happen and neither do I. So stop making statements that say you do.

Like I said, it would be similar to me stating it is going to snow on January 11th. If it snows then does it mean I am clairvoiant? Or maybe it just means I made an educated guess and saw I had reasonable odds of making a correct guess and got lucky. But I could be that guy who turns my statement into an absolute form because I am trying to impress random people on the internet I don't even know. So if it my "prediction" becomes correct I will loudly yell it everywhere, and if it doesn't then no one will remember.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 13, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------

sorry to jump in on my apparent alterego Joek's behalf but its more than fair to say that the work ethic of this team has not improved steadily (or at all) over the past 3 playoff seasons. And the only player we've really added who busts his butt is Knuble. And we've added a few guys like Flash, Belanger and Chimera who don't exactly resemble the Maltbys and Drapers of the past. And given McPhee's CLEAR style of personnel and system, no significant change is on the horizon.

The skepticism is right on the money. McPhee will continue to try and reinvent the wheel and stubbornly forge a new methodology into winning a Cup. At the fans' expense. Most if not all Cup winners have some core components (both tangible and intangible) that our team lacks.

and btw, fanock made such a great point today regarding what a great GM McPhee is. Based on something in 1993 and then again in 1997. So if anyone's livin in the past its him.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

@Capsyoungguns

I read on one of the blogs (think it was Japers) that Mackan is a Swedish nickname for Marcus.

The fellow's name is the Swedish equivalent of Mark Johnson.

The other day, I saw a Facebook profile for a fellow named Alexander Johansson. That guy has the perfect name for a Washington Capital.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | July 14, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

Judging from the playoffs I think Carlson busts his butt. If he makes the team we will see about MaJo. If MP makes the team, judging from what he did last season he was hustling non-stop. Judging from game 7 of the playoffs, Alzner was hustling all over the place also.

Then from 3 years ago, Laich has become more assertive, Backstrom has become more assertive, Ovie has become more assertive, Green and Schultz have become more assertive (although they still need to improve on it but they have improved from 3 years ago), Semin has developed into a very good penalty killer(the season stats tell the story) and takes many less stupid penalites, Fehr has become much more assertive too.

I will repeat, judging by the team's regular season standings the only time it has really failed was this past year. In '08 it finished with the 8th best record in the Eastern Conference so they should have lost in the 1st round. In '09 the Caps took 2nd place in the East on the final weekend. So, based on record they should have won 1 more game, but they were extremely close to finishing 3rd in the conference which would mean they were supposed to lose in the 2nd round.

This past year was the only year in the past 3 of playoff failure based on the team's play in the regular season. I think many people on this board are taking the expectations of today's team and are applying them to the '08 and '09 teams when those were not the true expectations of the team.

So peopleare predicting absolute failure for the team if they stay the course because of one playoff failure(which went 7). I think that is a very reactionary point to take and is basing future actions on a very small sample size(7 games). That is usually not the smartest way to approach decisions.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 14, 2010 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Yeah based on 3 years AFTER being shutout of the playoffs for 3.
Lets go retro & add some hoodlums just so we can go retro & be like the 1 hit wonders such as Philthy & Chinzie.

Speaking of living the past...pot calling GMGM black there homies?

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 14, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Funny how blue collar DC fans want their team to be blue collar playing also.
Damn I always thought progress was to elevate the game & skill level not go neatherthal like some knuckledraggers want the Caps to turn into.

Heck, they use to bash Don Coryell in college & SD & now all the teams are running the same offensive system.

Did any of you cavemen watch how ugly the World Cup was? The 'beautiful sport' looked like a bump & grind playoff snoozer after the Dutch played like cowards vs. the skilled Spaniards.

Cowards = no skill.

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 14, 2010 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Rocc00: I rarely get insulted here but I want to take UMBRAGE at what you have to say.

Just what the F is your point in those last two posts?

I myself thought this was the 21st century and intelligent humans WITH COMPUTERS were beyond your kind of thinking.

Let me apologize if I'm being presumptuous, but any public comments on a blog that have the slightest or tiniest racial overtones is 100% insulting to me.

Again, I apologize if I've misrepresented you. I apologize deeply. If, however, the intent I thought I read was the intent you meant to convey, then I have to assume you just thought you were funny in a disgusting kind of way and how you came off was even worse than that.

One of us is having a bad day. Sorry if it's me.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | July 14, 2010 2:02 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,
Any plans for a stepped up strength and conditioning program for the goalies in the organization? Especially one that targets preventing those repeated "lower body" injuries. Holtby appeared to be the most durable last year - if the trend continues with Varly & Neuvirth, Holtby could look like a regular in DC.

Posted by: rockdaredlangely | July 14, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Capt_Kirk

Posted by: instinct227 | July 14, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

So bring up Sabourin instead of Holtby???

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | July 14, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

good points sgm - i concede on Carlson, Backstrom, Laich. Not on Ovy. I think Ovechkin was a more consistent and effective grinder in past yrs. But he's still a great enough player I don't want to nitpick about.

Schultz? nope. I don't count on Schultz to engage in playoff-type hockey. He doesn't raise his game. He tries to play a reg season style when the situation calls for a little bit more.

And I haven't seen Semin raise his game in the playoffs the way he did v the Flyers halfway thru that series in Philly. He has never hit that level of intensity again. In fact, after Orpik crushed him early in the Pens-Caps series a yr ago, Semin went into hiding. He was very meek after that big hit by BO. This yr he turned up his effort after there was more scrutiny on his game.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Yeah based on 3 years AFTER being shutout of the playoffs for 3.

Speaking of living the past...pot calling GMGM black there homies?

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 14, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

you applyin for resident board dummy? you got the job!

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | July 14, 2010 12:34 AM | Report abuse

its more than that. You look for trends on teams, to see if they've learned appropriate playoff lessons. Bringing in a Knuble was part of that lesson. But in other ways this team regressed. They lost some muscle and some character on their blueline without Juice and Erskine. And with Flash playing a more prominent role , well you know how that story went. Corvo was a non-impact acquisition. Belanger and Chimera aren't trench-type of players. Walker, the only guy who fits that bill was ineffective for a myriad of reasons. The only real positive additions from past playoff yrs was Carlson and Knuble.

Based on what McPhee/BB had to say after they got knocked out, I hold out little hope that they understand what their holes truly are. Thus, its fair to regard this mgmt with a fair amount of skepticism. You may think its based on just one playoff season but there's a lot more history involved here with how McPhee has put his stamp on this team and how he hints at continuing certain trends.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3

Carlson will definitely make the team. GMGM and BB all but said it last year.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | July 14, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

Juice and Erskine did not perform that great in the '09 playoffs. The problem with the '09 playoffs against Pittsburgh was the complete ineffectiveness of the entire defensive core. Erskinse was skated around constantly and Juice didn't do much either. The other D-men also didn't do much. So losing them(or not using them) did not really effect the team.

In addition, while the defense definitely needs to improve, it wasn't the D that failed the Caps in the playoffs last year. So having Juice and/or Erskine playing last year in the playoffs would not have made any difference whatsoever.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 14, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Juice and Erskine did not perform that great in the '09 playoffs---------

You do realize that we played the Rangers that year also, right? So if you actually think the two of them didn't play great v the Rags, I don't know what to tell you but I have to seriously question your hockey acumen. If you're basing your comments on how they played v the Pens, remember that Erskine was playing hurt and in general our team (esp our top 6 forwards and Mike Green) simply didn't bring their A effort in every game. Makes it hard on your role players when your top players don't work as hard as they need to.

Overall playing the Pens isn't a great matchup for Erskine anyway but that doesn't detract what his value was v the Rangers and how he's a better fit v certain teams than some our other mainstays.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | July 14, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

this is an argument i really dislike. Because its one that McPhee and BB cling to as well and it doesn't bode well for the future of this team. Yes, our defense wasn't a glaring hole v the Habs. But it doesn't mean that even if we'd gotten past Montreal that our defensive holes wouldn't have been exposed against teams that were better at cycling the puck, controlling the boards, and doing a lot of mucking in the crease. If we'd played a team with a ferocious forecheck I don't think you'd be singing the same tune. So if the object is simply to have gotten past Montreal, then sure, our D is not a big issue. Hopefully the bar is a lot higher than that though.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

What are you talking about? Are you trying to argue just to try to argue?

Please re-read what I wrote. I said, that the defense NEEDS TO IMPROVE, but it was NOT the reason for the failure in this past years playoffs. It wasn't. In none of my sentences did I even broach the topic of what would have happened if the Caps advanced. All I spoke of is what DID happen.

However, IMO, the defense performed better against the Habs in '10 than it did against the Rangers in '09(close call on that) and the Habs were better offensively than the Rangers in '09. Therefore you could say that the Caps defensive ability improved in the '10 over the '09 postseason. Their PP just sucked in the '10 and they couldn't score for the life of them.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 14, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Carlson making the team is a foregone conclusion. In my mind he's probably our best overall dman. He's better defensively than Green. He's better at both ends than Poti. I know everyone loves Sarge's +/- but if I was heading into a playoff series and I had to opt for either one, it'd be JC by a landslide. My only hope is he doesn't get screwed up by the Caps who have a history of trying to push a dman towards being more offensive and everything else be damned. If the Caps just leave him alone he'll continue to do great. If they send him the wrong msg ala MG, he'll end up as another whipping boy.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------

you're looking at this very narrowly. I assume you are implying that because the Rangers have struggled to score goals that the defensive corps we fielded v the Habs would have done as good a job if not better v the Rangers team the previous yr. I don't think that's true at all (if that is what you are implying based on this overly simplistic comment: "Therefore you could say that the Caps defensive ability improved in the '10 over the '09 postseason. ").

I think Juice and Erskine were better suited for the Rangers grinding style than guys like Corvo, Sloan, Alzner etc. Juice, Erskine, and Mo did all the dirty work v the Rags. To diminish that is well, ignoring the fundamental concept of "matchups".

BB himself said that a guy like Erskine would have likely seen action v a different team than the Habs. Your 6 best dmen aren't always the same guys every night. That group changes depending on the type of team you play. And even if Erskine saw action in the next series, who BB chooses to have him replace is hugely important. If he replaces a similar type of player (i.e. Sloan), then the benefit is minimal. And not having a big body like Juice on the blueline also can have a detrimental effect when you're facing a big physical aggressive team (which the Habs were not).

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

@LloydChristmas

Sorry for the confusion, I meant if MaJo makes the team we will see what he does.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 14, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

some prospects invited to camp that i find interesting

1 - Brennan Yadlowski

Yadlowski is listed as 6-0 180 and is a good young RD-man that will only get better. He's tough, can scrap and is a good teammate. He blocks shots and will clear the front of the net. Can shoot the puck fairly well and is pretty good skater. Yadlowski played the whole sked of 72 games in the Dub, garnering 17 points and 135 PIM. Look for his offensive numbers to increase significantly in the next two seasons. To make it to the next level he needs to stay focused, & work on putting on some more mass(muscle,10-15 lbs). Will be a mainstay on defense for the Lethbridge Hurricanes the next couple of seasons. After his junior career can see him playing and developing in the AHL(3-4 years) and eventually getting to the NHL as a solid 5-6 D-man which is no small feat. Father is an ex-WHL player. Someone should draft him between the 3rd-4th round in the '09 NHL Entry Draft in June

Strengths: Some two-way ability and showed tremendous improvement during the season. Competes and is surprisingly rugged for his size.

Weaknesses: Smallish for the style he plays.

Just kept getting better as the season went. Earned the confidence of his coach and played a ton of minutes. Good but not great skater. Good agility and quickness, but does struggle to keep up with speedy forwards.

Can carry the puck if he's got room, but otherwise just keeps it simple. Can get a little panicky with the puck in pressure, but usually can make a clean first pass. Surprising physical tenacity despite a small frame. Competes and drops the gloves (9 FMs).

Summary: Size and style combination is hard to project, but I feel like there could be some hidden offensive upside here. Would want to grab this guy with a 4th rounder. A lot of late blooming potential as one of the younger players in the draft.

Draft Day: Could possibly sneak into the 3rd. A 4th feels more likely.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

here's a better idea of his size and strength. He goes up against big Dylan McGrath (Rags 1st round bruiser) and doesn't do terribly. That shock of red hair looks like ex Caps high pick Jeff Greenlaw.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

mclrath i mean. I got mcgrath on the brain because we just hired a new mgr named mcgraith or something

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

@You'reABig - they say in hockey whoever gets the best player in a trade, wins the trade, hands down*. STL wins that trade by any objective measure - and only the most delusional Habs fans / paid Gauthier plants or both would argue that point.

And yes I realize Les Habitants have invested a tremendous amount of resources into Carey Price - no surprise there, organizations tend to do that with high 1st-round draft choices. Especially when they're goalies. There's such a thing as 'good money after bad' - and right now there's a distinct possibility the ending in MTL will not be pretty for Mr. Price. Halak obviously did what he did in the playoffs - and not just to the Caps, they knocked off the defending SC Champs, w/o their best player, Markov went down in Game 1 - but perhaps even more impressively was Halak's performance in the Olympics, on the biggest stage in the world - and he took an undermanned, beat-up Slovakian team to the brink of the gold medal game. STL is dying to support a good hockey team, and the Blues now have a core of good hockey players [including a bunch of USA Hockey alums]; I'd like to see them do well.

*That old hockey adage was probably coined before the era of the salary cap - and the writer points out that moving Halak cleared space to re-sign Plekanec. So, maybe not as one-sided as I thought - but why not just move Price, instead? This piece:
says there were a number of teams needing a goalie who "never even got a call" from the Habs, and were "absolutely shocked" that Halak was the one who got moved, never dreaming he was even available. Why not move Price? Baffling.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | July 14, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

OMG I just read the comments in the article - you do realize the fans' nickname for Price is "Red Light?" I couldn't figure out who they were referring to for a few seconds, so funny - those are his OWN fans!

Posted by: Timbo_1 | July 14, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

2) Anthony Pisano (says he plays D or Forward). He's listed at 6ft6, plays it tough. Has a coupla scraps up on youtube

3) Patrick Cullity (D)
-- fiery kid who seems to have some ability

here he scraps with another Caps prospect Nick Larson

4) Eric Alexander
physical winger

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

---------------

Great, great comment. I couldn't agree more.

Question: JC and Poti were so terrific in the playoffs, I thought our best pairing by far - any possibility they start out together, given how well they played?

I realize Carlson and Alzner played very well in Hershey, but Hershey ain't the big show, much as BB seems to sometimes believe it is. I love BB, but man oh man.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | July 14, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

oops here's the vid on Eric Alexander. Some kid wanted to scrap with him and gets handled. Alexander's stock fell this past season because of a drop in goal production but he seems like an acceptable checking line prospect. Supposed to be a good skater and has size and strength.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I bag on Poti a lot but he did play well v the Habs. I would've liked to see him play against a team that puts more pressure on the D. He looked godawful last yr. And for a guy who supposedly does well against skill competition he made way too many errors v the Pens. He was a turnover machine with stupid clearing passes and got easily flustered.

I still don't see Poti as being part of the final solution so i hope he does get moved but i don't see any takers either. We'll have to wait for his contract to drop off next offseason.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

oh yeah and i echo what you said about the JC-KA pairing. I hope the Caps don't try and force that pairing to work. At least not till Alzner shows/matures more.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Ive said it before and I feel compelled to repeat:

EKLUND SAID IT = AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN"

That said, I guess even a blind squittel* finds a nut sometimes.

As for Jumbo Joe...Why not? Perhaps a 1 or 2 year deal at, say, $2.75M per?

Posted by: Rhino40 | July 14, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"Squittel" = A squirrel who posts impossible hockey rumours (note Canadian spelling) on the Internet

Posted by: Rhino40 | July 14, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

you should change that to squitter (a twittery squirrel)

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Yes exactly, if that pairing really turns out to be what's best then okay, I just don't want the Caps to try and force anything, esp. the point about KA. And I'm not saying Poti = Lidstrom or Pronger, it's just given what's available [I was all over Poti when he played for Team USA, but he has grown on me].

And good point about the Pens - I'm a little concerned about what they've done this offseason, to be honest, even with losing Gonchar. Not just the big names but this kid Sterling, I saw him play against a very good Wisconsin team [Pavelski, among others] in Madison, and he was lethal. He potted 55 a couple years ago with the Wolves, I wonder what he could do with the big boys if given a chance, which it sounds like he'll get this year. He's not tall but he's stout, wide and very strong and plays with a nasty edge.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | July 14, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

i'll admit i didn't know that about Sterling. I kinda dismissed that signing based on his size. But if he's thick and wide-bodied with a nose for the net, he could be pretty effective given his obvious offensive ability

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I love the hard work the WP reporters (?) do. Half way into the summer development camp and what have the WP reported?
Dmitry Kugryshev is not in camp because visa problems.
BB likes Evgeny Kuznetsov's leadership and ability to make a saucer pass on the fly.
BB likes Marcus Johansson - He stood head and shoulders above the others. He's a better skater than Nicklas Backstrom, but he's big in the back[side], so you can see where he can control the puck and will be hard to knock off the puck. You can see that he sees the play real well.
Braden Holtby is learning patience (whoopee!)
Varly has changed his jersey number (double hurray!!!)
I can't wait for the next report - OV showed up on his new wheels and I wonder what color it is? ...

Posted by: hock1 | July 14, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 13, 2010 7:03 PM |

You obviously didn't watch NJ in the playoffs at all. The only one playing with his heart on the ice.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 14, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I love the hard work some random guy on the internet does in finding development camp information. Using google is an advanced computer skill.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 14, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Cap fans know all about being patient.

Posted by: alanb1 | July 14, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | July 14, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

chalk that upto the fact it was a new team he is trying to impress and he has only tasted the playoffs once in 9 yrs prior to this yr. Watch him over his career and you get a clearer picture of the type of player he is. And I guess you didn't see the series either if you think he was the only Devil playing hard. Colin White played pretty damn hard in that series.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the whole key with Sterling is if he's actually given a chance; he got buried kinda deep with ATL. I just remember WISC looking utterly incapable of moving him from the crease, despite having some serious wide bodies on the back end. He definitely had a nose for the net - he's admittedly not the strongest defensively though, but maybe that's mitigated somewhat if they move up Staal to the other wing. [Apparently Pitt convinced him to sign by telling him he'd get a legit shot at the top-2; and I've never understood why Pitt hasn't played Malkin with Staal more, they seem to have pretty decent chemistry].

Then again, what do I know - I remember Patty Cullen from a few years ago and thought he was pretty freaking strong; now he's saying it's a weakness that he's got to work on. Scary.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | July 14, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 |

So who is to say that he isn't ready to turn it up, come playoffs? He backchecked more than Parise (a supposed two-way winger), and he scored more points than him. What more do you want a forward to do?

I guess scoring 40+ goals a season is bad or something.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 14, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I guess scoring 40+ goals a season is bad or something.
-----------------

lol,you wake up on the wrong side of your web this morning?

You're taking a microcosm of his play and assuming this will be his regular playing style from here on out.

IK has overwhelmingly proven over the course of his career that he's largely a cherrypicking forward. No one said 40 goals a season was a bad thing. But that's really his only thing. And one dimensional scoring forwards are a risky undertaking contract-wise and how they fit into a team's chemistry.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

A little third-party verification:

Posted by: Timbo_1 | July 14, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm a bigger fan of Kovalchuk than some - just not on the Caps, thank you - but I'd have a hard time believing he back-checked more than Parise. I watched Team USA pretty closely, and I don't know that I've many team's top scorers play every shift that hard and that intensely.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | July 14, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Do you think Atl regrets dumping IK ? They played better hockey AFTER he was gone. Now why do you think an offensively-starved struggling team actually improved after they dumped such a premier talent? They ended up over .500 after the trade. And that was over almost a 30 game stretch which is a pretty good indicator of their improvement. And mostly against playoff-bound teams.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"What more do you want a forward to do?"

-------

for starters, prove it over a longer stretch than 5 games.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

@Timbo

Again, did you watch the NJ series? Best forward on the ice, hands down.

@cstanton

It's funny to hear you talk about how players need to adjust their games come playoffs. Then when somebody does, you just point to how it's a weak sample size and he's a one-zone player. You know who else is a one-zone player? Ovechkin...and he was caught floating around against the Habs!

Posted by: richmondphil | July 14, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton

Posted by: richmondphil | July 14, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

glad you find it funny but that was not my intent.
You act like I'm holding it against Kovalchuk that he stepped up his game. I'm not criticizing him for it, but I'm not sold that based on an incredibly small sampling of games that he is suddenly a different player from here on out where he deserves a big contract. He's a risky proposition and 5 games doesn't erase his entire past. Ovechkin has always been a more complete player so he's less risky. It doesn't mean he doesn't have stretches where he looks irresponsible on the ice and sometimes turns into a cherrypicker. But thats NOT reflective of his overall game.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I never said he was a different player, I just think it's obvious that he's able to change and elevate his game. Does that make him a 10 mil/yr player, like Grossman thinks? No, but he is still one of the most dynamic offensive forces in the league, who isn't afraid to get gritty and fight for his teammates.

Honestly, when it comes to offensive zone explosiveness, Kovalchuk is unrivaled. Nods to guys like Ovechkin and Gaborik, but Kovalchuk is simply bliss with a puck. He has Datstyuk's hands, Ovechkin's strength, and Gaborik's speed on the rush. So yeah, he may seem like a one-dimensional player to some, but if you are unrivaled in a certain skill, wouldn't you try to and perform that skill more often?

He's scored 40+ goals, 50+ twice, while playing on the THRASHERS. A team with no defense and no depth for years, until half way last year. Give the guy some credit, who else was going to score for them?

Posted by: richmondphil | July 14, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I think everyone also forgets that he is a young guy. He's only 27. There's no reason why he shouldn't be able to hone his complete game in the near future, as proven by his recent playoff outing. Especially if he goes to a club like LA, Lombardi and Murray, along with the bruiser attitude of Brown, Stoll, Greene will all help hone his game. He'll also have a legitimate #1 center to feed him the puck for the first time. (Yeah, I know he had Savard for a little bit, but they didn't like each other) Sky's the limit for Kovy. I just wish his agent didn't turn his free agency into a circus.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 14, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

You got me - I did not catch much of the NJ series. So I will take your word for it - like I said though, I'm a big Parise fan, and it didn't seem like some of his NJ teammates were the biggest fans of IK.

Then again, maybe you can chalk that up to a disappointing playoff loss. And, as someone pointed out earlier - you maybe - IK played for Russia in the Worlds, despite an already grueling season. More impressive though, he did so without a contract, as a UFA! If I'd been his agent I'd have done anything legally possible to prevent that. And unless I'm mistaken he wore the 'C' over some very other deserving candidates. So I see what you're saying.

I wasn't trying to slam IK, admittedly he's not really my type of player but there's no denying his talent.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | July 14, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

I agree with richmondphil and find it amusing that you constantly harp on Schultz for not being able to step up his game in the playoffs based on his past playoff performances (10 overall games, 7 this year)and that his regular season play is basically meaningless.

Then you conveniently say that IK's playoff resume is too small of a sample size to reach any conclusions on him being able to ramp up his game.

Just wondering if you see the large contradiction there? So, either you have too quick to jump on Schultz because his playoff sample size has been too small or you are incorrect for dismissing IK's playoff experience because that size of a sample size is ample enough to reach a determination.

It's one or the other, it can't be both. So, which is it?

Posted by: sgm3 | July 14, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

---------

Good point - and IIRC Dany Heatley at least occasionally was the other wing [a young, even more immature Heatley at that]; I can't imagine having those two as linemates being conducive to a good frame of mind.

BTW my buddy played with Dustin Brown growing up in upstate NY, says he was an awesome teammate and great guy, very down to earth.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | July 14, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm a big Parise fan as well, but when Kovalchuk exploded into the scenes early 2000s, I have always been drawn to the guy. Yes, he's a one-zone player, but he's basically unrivaled in said zone. And as shown in the NJ-BOS series, he showed that he can elevate his game when needed. He also stuck up for his teammates. Where did you read that other Devil's didn't like him? Everything I read was quite the contrary, and I know Elias and Marty both like him a lot.

Again, he's obviously not worth the price tag Grossman has on him, but there's no reason to say that no team is ever going to win a Cup with him on it. I also think it's putting too much stock on one guy, as we all know, hockey is a team sport. If you aren't rolling 3-4 lines of solid play and solid defense, it doesn't matter how many superstars you have. Who's to say the Kings can't win a Cup within the next few years with Kovy?

Posted by: richmondphil | July 14, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Timbo_1 |

I am a huge, huge, huge Dustin Brown fan. Probably a bit of an unhealthy man-crush....haha.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 14, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Well, Schultz has a small playoff sample size because his coach sat his butt down after three games two years ago.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | July 14, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Dude after hearing my buddy talk about Brown and seeing him sac his body for Team USA I figured he was like 6'3" 240 or something; then I looked at the stats and he's not even that big, he just plays like it!

I don't think it's a coincidence that Kane didn't do jack in the 'Pics until they put Brown on his line; kinda nice knowing your buddy will have always have your back no matter what; moreso when monsters are bearing down on you!

Posted by: Timbo_1 | July 14, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Schultz is a bit different because his playoff performance is the same as in the regular season. At least to me. His +/- was obviously down due to the amount of goals scored, but he played about the same game. Didn't ramp it up, didn't turn it down. Just meh.

He, along with our entire defense, could work on their skating and ability to transition, skating backwards, etc. This includes Mike Green, who although can skate fast and on the rush, can't skate backwards to save his mother.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 14, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

sgm, that was a very troll-like post. You jump on any opportunity to climb on a bandwagon when someone disagrees with me on something. You keep posting like a troll and I'll quit engaging you in regular hockey talk.

As to your comments on Schultz, your reasoning as usual is misguided. Kovalchuk has proven that at least he's capable of raising his game. Schultz has not. Only you could be capable of seeing a parallel there. And yes, I get that the commonality is the "sample size" so spare me that.
Also, where did I say that Schultz's reg season play was meaningless with respect to the impression I have of him? Reg season play is not meaningless at all. Checkers still have to check, scorers have to score, fighters have to fight and everything in between. Schultz's reg season play is fairly meek. And his playoff play mirrors that as well. What's your next point?

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I don't think tehre's any question that Kovalchuk is an exceptional hockey, it's just a question of what he's worth. He's more than DSedin, Cammalleri and Semin, all LWs at $6M. He's clearly better than Gaborik at $7.5 (Point per game vs Gaborik has .9), so you can argue for what I've posted before which is about $8.25M tops.

There's nobody on this blog posting who wouldn't take him - it's just a question of the price tag.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | July 14, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

---------

sgm, you still agree with RP? Because I certainly do.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

------------

count me out. Unless he's replacing Semin AND Flash, I wouldn't take him for a variety of reasons. A Kovalchuk type of player isn't the direction the Caps need to go in unless they move some other pieces around.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

@Tom

Right, I was just defending Kovy against the assumption that he's only one-dimensional and that he will never win a Cup. Now, if he actually received 10 mil/yr cap hit....well the latter part of that may be true in a salary-cap world.
I agree with your value as well, he should not see anything above 8.5 mil/yr, and that is stretching it.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 14, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with conclusions you reach, I just point out the factual errors and inconsistent logic you often use to get to them. But even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionaly.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 14, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I also have to say that I wouldn't take him unless Semin was moved out. Preferably Semin and Flash. I figured this was sort of implied in tom's post though, since he is aware of salary issues as well as anyone. And I love Kovy.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 14, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Yada yada yada
More pretty Swedes and Russians to secure another President's Cup. GRIT wins the Stanley Cup and the Caps got nothing of that.

No grit up front-but they are Pretty.
No grit on defence-but they are Pretty.

Nice guy coach who thinks he knows better, but CHOKED 2 years in a row because he doesn't know x's and o's, can't adjust, and is intimidated by his star players.

Philly got stronger
Pittsburgh got stronger
Boston got stronger

You Caps dreamers just don't get it as any of these three will out grit you in the 2011 playoffs.

The Semin UFA side show will be fun to watch. Score score score nothing goals when you win 8-2 to inflate a contract. Should be fun in the dressing room.

You think you are close to a Cup? If you do you are clueless as to what it takes to win!

Posted by: htgolf | July 14, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

----------

agreed that he was an easy mark for other teams to focus on and the fact he still put up #s is certainly not a negative.
My point is, on the surface the Thrash got ripped in that trade if you look at the talent they gave up. Yet they ended up being better off. Team chemistry, team unity whathaveyou, can overcome the loss of pure skill. Even teams who are skill-starved.
Teams sometimes get better when they jettison a player like Kovalchuk and add some less flashy but important elements. So based on that, his value imo is overrated.

For ex, a guy like Guerin, old as he was at the time was probably what Pitt needed to get over the top more than a player like Kovy who is completely heads and shoulders above Guerin with regards to scoring potential. Maybe Kovy fits in well for a team with a specific need. But he's not going to make just any team automatically better to justify what he would cost.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with conclusions you reach, I just point out sgm: the factual errors and inconsistent logic you often use to get to them. But even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionaly.
-----------------------------

you don't point them out, you use words like "amusing" and "convenient". But regardless, I think what happened with this latest attempt you made was simply that your own illogic once again rose to the surface. Feel free to explain why my opinion on Kovy was inconsistent with my assault on Schultzie.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I definetely don't disagree with the fact that the Thrashers got better without him.

I will say this though, if the Pens could have somehow obtained Kovy at the deadline two years ago, I bet they still would have won the Cup. Crosby with a legitimate winger? I don't even want to think about it... No offense to Billy G, who was a great fit for them and I see your point, but I think it would be safe to say they would've won with Kovy as well.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 14, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

I agree that Schultz didn't "ramp it up" in the postseason. That was an essential part of the facts that prove the point that cstanton1 is inconsistent.

He states that Schultz doesn't ramp up his game in the playoffs based on his play in the playoffs in his career (10 game sample size) and because of this the Caps need to replace him with a better player because he will continue to play the same. Fine.

However, cstanton1 then says you using IK's playoff experience (9 games) as evidence that he does ramp his play in the playoffs is too small of a sample size to say he will continue to do so.

Or you could say that it isn't enough for both. I'm just pointing the inconsistencies he uses to reach his conclusions.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 14, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

@sgm

Yeah, I see that. I guess I was sort of expressing my desire for Schultz to step up his game in the playoffs. haha

Posted by: richmondphil | July 14, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

sgm no matter how you spin it, you can't explain away the basic concept that Sarge has NOT proven he can ramp it up while Kovy HAS proven that he can. The disagreement I had with RPhil was simply whether he has proven he can CONTINUE to ramp it up. Why not come off that fence you're always riding and actually adopt a position? Are you implying that you believe Schultz CAN ramp it up? And if you believe that, what is it based on? At least RPhil can point to Kovy's recent playoff performance as evidence that he's capable of doing it. What can you point to? His reg season play? errr..no. His playoff play? err..no

"If 10 playoff games is enough to say that one particular player does not and will not ramp up his play in the playoffs, then it is surely enough to say the 9 playoff games is enough to say that a player does and will ramp up his play in the playoffs."

you just gave me a contact buzz.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1:

Hypothetically speaking, at what price and term would you take IK on the Caps?

Statistically speaking, he and Semin were about the same, so close it was freaky...

but here's the catch, Semin plays 2nd fiddle to Ovie... how much better would IK do in Semin's spot or on the 1st line RW (assuming he could switch)

Semin makes 6 mil... IK would be worth 7 mil to take but sadly he would cut into the cap $ that will be needed for up and coming players...

back to the question, how much and for how long for IK?

Posted by: FrankM73 | July 14, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

using sgm logic, any player in the nhl is capable of stepping up their game in the playoffs despite never showing any history of being able to play at a raised intensity. Even in the reg season where some games warrant it. So basically we should hold onto Flash because he's obviously capable of doing it also, he just needs a few more games to prove it. Wonder if we can trade for Corvo again at the deadline? This next yr may be the yr he shines in the playoffs.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

Do you really not understand my last post?

If not, read it a few times. The point of the post has nothing to do with what Schultz will or will not do in the future. It only has to do with how you reach your conclusions and the blatant inconsistencies in the way you argue.

If you want to recall one of those arguments because you made a mistake, that's ok. We all make mistakes. But the glaring inconsistency is there, I just pointed it out and am awaiting clarification from you.

Posted by: sgm3 | July 14, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

@sgm and cstanton

You both are speaking past each other. @sgm Cstanton is trying to say that Schultz has been given 2 chances to ramp it up, and hasn't. Kovy has been given 2 chances, and shown that he can and will raise his level of play. Also, Kovy's situation is about continuing to ramp it up, not simply showing that one can. @cstanton sgm is simply pointing out a flaw in the logic to reach two different conclusions based on the same premise, ie; small sample size. It's hard to see why you say it's impossible to know what Kovy will do in the future because of a small sample size when you ask other players to show what Kovy has shown, small sample size or not.

Again, you guys are starting to speak past yourselves. Agree to disagree or something..but I'm going home. Talk to you you guys later, hopefully, with some updated development camp information.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 14, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I agree. This is a team full of Dean Youngbloods - we need some Carl Rackis... Sorry, Youndgblood was on last night - unfortunately with commercials.

Posted by: kkd76 | July 14, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3 | July 14, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

you're a bold one sgm. I'm not holding onto an argument because i'm afraid to say i made a mistake. You're one to talk. Remember that discussion we had after you made a sweepingly inaccurate generalization of Mike Keenan? I noticed after I posted a ton of evidence to the contrary you "conveniently" ignored it. You "amuse" me.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

i remember the cynthia gibb scene where she's lyin on the bed and prettyboy throws ice on her chest. yowsa!

speakin of racki or rackis, ever remember that guy from the Bruins named Jay Miller? I always thought he looked and acted exactly like Racki

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

--------------

its more than that though. While Kovalchuk over his career has largely not displayed some of the attributes he displayed in the playoffs this past yr, Schultz has NEVER displayed those attributes. So while the discussion at hand involves playoff hockey, we're really talking about a larger body of work. Its not like Schultz has played tough during the reg season and then disappeared in the playoffs. He's played around 550 games from the juniors to the nhl (not incl playoff games) and he's always been a meek timid sort who chooses not to ramp up his intensity. That's a pretty large sampling. So based on all of that, AND his playoff history, its pretty safe to say that he's not someone you can count upon to amp things up when necessary. So while sgm may like to pretend that every impression I have of Schultz is only based on how he's played in the playoffs so far, the truth is he's always been a gentle giant. I'm not basing predictions of Schultz's play strictly on just a few playoff games.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes on here it's like I Love Lucy, with sgm and cstanton in starring roles.

Who wants to be Fred Mertz?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | July 14, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

between mcphee and sgm, its just a race to see who will drive me insane first. Just a matter of time before the men in white coats and butterfly nets come to take me away. And no, contrary to myth i am not already posting from inside an asylum.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

It could be worse, cstanton1 - imagine being a Bruins fan during Harry Sinden's reign. Ah, my poor, poor cousins!

Posted by: Timbo_1 | July 14, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

in sinden's defense, he went senile late in his tenure. And he did provide us fight fans a lot of great rockem sockem moments from the 80s. Jay Miller, Lyndon Byers et al

And Sinden did get Cam Neely from the Canucks. One of the greatest trades ever. Ironically, the player the Canucks got back was Barry Pederson who had his career effectively ended on a brutal hit from behind at the Caps center by one Scott Stevens. Broke Pederson's clavicle or collarbone. Pederson had his back to his own blueline and was gathering up the puck to turn around when Stevens lined him up and blasted him. He went down in a heap. This was late 80s. Today if that hit happened and it was a star player you'd get an outcry from an outraged public calling for a lengthy suspension.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse