Huet and Fedorov Due to Arrive Later

Two of the Caps' new acquisitions, Cristobal Huet and Sergei Fedorov, will be introduced to the media around 3 p.m. Huet is already in town and is taking his physical exam; Fedorov is set to arrive soon.

Matt Cooke, meantime, probably won't be here until later in the week. There are immigration papers that must be completed, since he was a Canadian playing in Canada. In the meantime, it appears prospect Chris Bourque will remain with the team until Cooke gets into town.

Cooke will wear No. 24, Huet will wear No. 33 and Fedorov will wear No. 91.

Some other stuff of interest from practice:

*Coach Bruce Boudreau did not put together lines today for a couple of reasons. First, Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin and Viktor Kozlov (flu) did not skate. And second, the lines could -- and likely will be -- completely different
come tomorrow.

"We'll figure it out as players trickle in," he said.

Boudreau also said that he does not envision breaking up Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom. Everyone else, though, is fair game to moved around in the lineup.

*Kolzov is feeling better and is expected to practice tomorrow. If all goes well, he'll be in the lineup on Friday in new Jersey.

*Huet's pads are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. In the meantime, he was on the phone this morning with an artist in Canada getting a new mask airbrushed to match his new uni. The Canadiens' blue is a bit lighter than the Caps' blue.

*Boudreau said he has not decided which of his three goaltenders will start in New Jersey. This one should be interesting. It was supposed to be Brent Johnson's turn.

*Cooke is due to meet the team in Newark on Friday, but Boudreau said it's doubtful he'll play.

*Boudreau said he's talked to Olie Kolzig and Johnson about how three goalie situation is going to work, but there's still no resolution.

"I don't think it's quite, exactly resolved at this point," Boudreau said. "But in a couple of days, when Cristobal gets here and starts practicing we'll get into a routine."

*Ovechkin said he's thrilled to have Fedorov, a fellow Russian he looked up to as a youngster growing up in Moscow.

"He's a great player," he said. "What can I say about him? He's won everything. I'm really excited. I hope he helps this team make a big step forward."

Asked if he would like to play on the same line as Fedorov, Ovechkin said: "It's up to Coach and what's best for team."

I'll have more later when the players arrive. So check back.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 27, 2008; 11:26 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Recall Bourque
Next: Q&A With Sergei Fedorov

Comments

Should be interesting to see what the new guys have to say.

Posted by: TJ | February 27, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

the whole 3 goalie thing seems so poorly conceived and this morning GMGM said "Olie will be a Capital next year if he wants to" on the radio.

What is going on there?!?!?! Is there a "plan" in place, or was this purely a spur of the moment whim/opportunity?

Posted by: sean | February 27, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Should we expect the three to be ready by the home game this Saturday? Will Huet and Fedorov be on the ice tomorrow at practice? What is the chances that Huet gets the call for one of the upcoming home games? Thanks for the good work during the trade deadline.

Posted by: Phil9 | February 27, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

So any ideas on who might get the call in net in NJ?
These are MUST win games so if I had the call I would go with Huet in Jersey and Johnny back home for the Maple Leafs.

Posted by: Max | February 27, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Im guessing Kolzig Friday and Huet Saturday.

Let Huet get a game in on the bench for chemistry.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 27, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Was Kolzig thinking he was going to get traded after news of Huet came through?

Posted by: Hockey London | February 27, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Just a thought. Clark was a 3rd 4th line guy....then he came to washington and started scoring dirty goals on Ovechkin's line. Maybe we keep Flash with Laich and Fehr, and put Cooke on OV's RW? Leave Koz with Fedorov and Semin?

OV - Backstrom - Cooke
Semin - Fedorov - Kozlov
Flash - Laich - Fehr
Brash/Gordon/Steckel/Bradley?

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | February 27, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Geez people, GMGM's goalie plan is pretty easy to figure out. He couldn't get a D man so he is going to play all three goalies at the same time! The man's a genius, our troubles are solved!!!

I was going to include a picture of 3 goalies on D with 3 Forwards but I don't have Photoshop handy.

Actually I think Jurcina has been very solid lately

Posted by: austinsteve | February 27, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

tarik-
any word from johnny today? he seemed, at best, a little broken up about the huet acquisition in the caps.tv interview. have gmgm and bruce sat him and olie down to talk about their roles/plans for them? if nothing else, there's a pretty compelling human interest story at work here.

Posted by: pgreene | February 27, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Out of subject here, but since this is a new string:

Showing my age here, but when I first saw Borque play in the preseason my mind immediately went to Dennis Maruk who was: Height 5'8' -- Weight 165
Seems to be the same style...hopefully!

Secondly, last week I was listening to DC101 and they were talking about OV's new russian girlfriend. Is she the new Jessica Simpson? He hasnt scored a goal since she came to town!
(All in fun)

Posted by: J2 | February 27, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

SGuy your forgetting bout Q.Laing he is doing alot better now then Gordon/Steckle/Bradley...

Ovechkin/Backstrom/Kozlov
Flash/Federov/Semin
Laing/Laich/Cooke
Brashere/Steckle/Gordon
Bradley/Fehr

Thats what i would do...

Tarik what do you think the lines will be??? TOUGH CALLS FOR BRUCE PICKLE JUICE!!!
we could debate these lines for hours and hours!

Posted by: ZackAttack | February 27, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

anyone else notice OV's play recently. He seems tired. He doesn't go out like a freight train anymore. He doesn't dish out big hits anymore. He does not look the same. Is he hurt? And is he hiding it like Nylander hid his injury for a while.

Posted by: wanggo | February 27, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Flu... I've been sick for almost 2 weeks...

Posted by: JSchon | February 27, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

wanggo,

god i hope not.
that would suck a lot.
remember crosby's broken foot?

Posted by: Hockey London | February 27, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Line combinations - nice problem to have - should be interesting to see what coach does with the forwards. I'd hate to see laing get scratched as he has brought real energy, enthusiasm and great shot blocking - especially on the penalty kill.

Posted by: kost | February 27, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

@pgreene - this doesn't answer your question about Johnny, but on EITM this morning, GMGM stated that Olie told him he understood the trade, but that he is going to fight to be the #1 goalie.

GMGM went on to say that Olie's future with the Caps will depend on what he (Olie) wants to do, not so much what GMGM wants. He said if Olie wants to be a Cap next season, he will be.

He also said trading Olie was never even considered.

Posted by: Jill | February 27, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

From the other thread... just for S&G's.

Interesting comments from Vancouver's GM.

"We expect him (Pettinger) to come in here and contribute immediately. Another positive for us is that if we were going to move Matt Cooke, I wanted to find a player we would get for more than the next month or two. I was trying to find somebody that we thought could help us for the rest of the year, but also would be around next year."

The CBC analysis is:

"Pettinger, in his seventh year with the Capitals, scored two goals and five assists in 56 games with Washington, and will add grit to the Canucks' lineup."

Which begs the question, if dumping Cooke for Petty adds grit, what the hell did we get?

Posted by: Greg S. | February 27, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

ok I am an idiot. Laing definitely deserves a spot, and I apologize for the oversight. I can't believe I forgot him considering I have been talking about getting a white Laing jersey haha.

Still I would love to see the Flash/Laich/Fehr line again. They were awesome last night.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | February 27, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

@ ZackAttack,

I dunno, I like having Bradley in. He's a real energy guy. Maybe swapping Gordon and Steckel in and out. They are both defensive centers. Agree its a tough call though. Fehr is going back to Hershey. He looked good last night, but he is not the magic answer this year.

Posted by: old time hockey | February 27, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I like playing GM more than coach, but you can't leave out Steckel. His centering abilities are the best on the team.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 27, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

My ideal world...

1. Ovechkin/Backstrom/Kozlov (best line of the season when they were together... dominant)
2. Semin/Federov/(Cooke? now but Clark hopefully when he returns)
3. Flash/Laich/Fehr (best line on the ice last night)
4. Laing/Steckel/Gordon/Bradley/Brash (take your pick... one of them could bump to the 2nd line)

I really think Flash/Laich/Fehr were just awesome last night... +4 each I think... I wouldn't break that up, plus you can put Koz back up on the Ovie/Backstrom line where they were simply dominant. It leaves Semin out on his own... but if we could get a winger for him and Fedorov, that could be three really strong lines...

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I've noticed that Ovie seems to be lacking a certain energy too. At first I thought he was just sick but it seems like it's lasting longer then it should if he just had the flu or something....I wonder what his deal is...is he tired? hurt? sick? distracted? I'm kinda worried about it though...

Posted by: K | February 27, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Brads stays in the lineup.

Posted by: Jill | February 27, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

@K - I'll take "distracted" for $500.

After all his new girlfriend came to town on February 8.

Coincidence? I think not...

Posted by: Jill | February 27, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

its going to be interesting to see what they do with the foward combinations. There is no way that the line of fehr/laich/flash should be broken up and ill be surprised if cooke gets the spot on the top line even though his game is similar to clarkie...

Posted by: jds | February 27, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Last night was a perfect mix of that secondary scoring we need.

Ovie will get his back...It's the others we need to step up.

@Jill
Maybe Federov can give Ovie some advice on girlfriends? hahaha

Posted by: SA_Town | February 27, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

GMGM's comments strike me as a little, well, wack, as the kids would say. How can you more or less guarantee Olie a roster spot next year? Granted, there are a great many unknowns, like Huet's FA status, to begin with.
Olie has played himself back into contention, for sure. But you've just traded for a legit #1 tender; wouldnt one expect Huet to fight hard for that spot and come back next year, God/Bondra willing? Johnny's got to feel like beetle turd right now.

Posted by: Shaggy | February 27, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I thought Ovechkin had a little more jump in his game last night. He was hitting people more, but also seemed focus on playmaking, rather than ripping shots through the D, as he has on many occasions. The whiff on the chance in front was disappointing, though.

The one thing I have noticed from Ovechkin of late that is disconcerting is a sudden lack of defensive awareness. There have been plays that have literally gone right by him as he stands and watches. Even if he can't make the play, he generally makes the attempt to help the D, and that hasn't been the case for the last few games.

It may be that once the goal slump breaks, the rest of the game will be lifted - but the goal slump might not break until rest of the game lifts. A catch-22. Or, I guess, a catch-8.

Posted by: Eddie C | February 27, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

found out the reason the caps got huet was because of atlanta. Atlanta was suppose to trade Hossa & Headberg to Montreal. So they moved Huet. But the deal with atlanta fell through and GMGM already completed the trade with montreal.

Posted by: elton | February 27, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@Elton...

That sounds very likely if true. I always thought there was going to be a part 2 to MON's plan.

Posted by: JSchon | February 27, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@Elton,

Ok, that makes sense, but what about us? GMGMGMGMGM said he made no effort to trade Olie. Was he trying to trade Johnny and had no takers? Deal fall through? He looks like a genius if they make the playoffs and even succeed in them, but if Johnny, Olie and Huet end up in caged death match in the locker room, then it doesn't look so good.

Posted by: old time hockey | February 27, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

This may be a bit off topic but I thought that Eminger played really well against the Wild. He was skating well, taking the man, and making good passes. Right now I think he is 5th on the depth chart.

Posted by: red dragon | February 27, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Can we get "Yoko" deported back to Russia. Ovie performance of late has made me think Gen. Ripper in Dr. Strangelove was on to something. POE/OPE

Posted by: Schultz for Calder | February 27, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I think he wanted to move Huet to Ottawa.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 27, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Here is a solution to our goaltender situation - next year - as this year, it's not going to be that big of a problem.

#1 - Huet (signed to a 2 year deal)
#2 - Johnson
Goaltender Coach - Kolzig

Posted by: JmF | February 27, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Do you sign these new guys to new contracts or rent them? I think Huet you definetly sign, but then we are back to three goalie problem. Fedorov to a one - two year deal for much less money if he can still play. Cook - who knows?

Posted by: Kost | February 27, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

You actually believe GMGM? He has three goalies, what was he suppose to say? It is interesting enough to have three goalies, but what would the situation be if he came out and publicly said he tried to move Olie?

My best guess is that he tried to move Olie, but didn't get enough of an offer. I think it was Aubin who went for a 7th rounder right before the deadline. GMGM could not afford to trade Olie for a 7th rounder, the PR hit would be to big (see Bondra).

The teams de facto captain for a a low draft pick, or keep three goaltenders and let it try and shake itself out. GMGM chose option two

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | February 27, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

OV was FLYING around the rink on Sunday during the Devils game. He did seem a bit off last night but maybe that was just due to the way the Wild were defending him. He never had much room to generate speed throught he neutral zone.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | February 27, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Eminger played very well last night. I have to admit that I was surprised to see he wasn't traded but I'm pretty happy b/c I think if he gets the chance he could be a very awesome d-man. I just hope the Caps don't totally screw him and at least rotate him in the line up.
As far as Ovie's girlfriend I really wish I could say that we shouldn't blame the girl but honestly I can't do that b/c I really think since they've done that article that his focus has been way off.

Posted by: K | February 27, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

We should honestly think about giving #8 a healthy scratch - he stinks.

Posted by: None-ya | February 27, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Olie is a Cap next year if he accepts the contract offer from GMGM's.

I can see McPhee playing his card that he has 2 offers out there - one to Huet, the other Kolzig. First one to sign gets to stay.

Posted by: Nils | February 27, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

There are three goalies and three good guys. 1 guy in his prime, 1 guy at the end of a retired number career and 1 guy getting his career back.

The Caps were not going to trade Olie. They owe him a certain debt for staying with the ship when it sunk and riding it out. He also had played his way off the tradable list and his recent resurgence had not yet played his way back on it.

Huet and Kolzig have no contract for next season. It could be that Huet doesn't want to stay and then Johnson would be safe even.

Time will tell

Posted by: Rob | February 27, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Elton,

Why wouldn't Atlanta be trading for Huet? and Montreal would want Hedburg? HUH?

Just wondering...

Posted by: Clarendon | February 27, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy

I like your lines:

OV - Backstrom - Cooke
Semin - Fedorov - Kozlov
Flash - Laich - Fehr
Brash/Gordon/Steckel/Bradley?

But would like to see the BOS line stay together if for no other reason than it sounds cool to say it.

also, is it too soon to start calling our new lw/rw cookie

Posted by: livinit | February 27, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

@livinit

Cookie, Chrissy, and Feddie are the new guys...You love it

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Elton-
I'm wondering,

Are you a Rocket Man?

Posted by: dave | February 27, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

@Clarendon

I think what he meant to say if he didnt was that... MON was anticipating making the deal with Atlanta for Hossa and Hedberg (all assumptions). Therefore making Huet available.

The problem was that Atlanta went elsewhere (PIT) and MON was left holding an empty bag after Gainey wouldnt trade Higgins and 2 other players to Atlanta.

Posted by: JSchon | February 27, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

@ Clarendon:

Atlanta has Lehtonen. Do they really need another #1 goalie? Lehtonen is phenomenal and Hedburg is a great backup. The Habs see Price as their future, not Huet, so they deal him away and get another backup. Enter Hedburg. Doesn't seem like it's that hard to believe.

Posted by: SLM | February 27, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

and at that point, Huet was already WAS property.

Posted by: JSchon | February 27, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

OV- Backstrom - Kozlov
Semin- Fedorov- Clark
Flash - Gordon- Laich
Brash - Steck - Laing - Bradley

Oh yea Clark is never coming back - oh Captain my Captain

Posted by: Kost | February 27, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

throw Cook somewhere in there - can't do any worse than Petty

Posted by: Kost | February 27, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Cooke = Pettinger. Would you put Pettinger on first line??? If not, then Cooke shouldn't go there, either.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 27, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

@Livinit

As someone else pointed out, I accidentally left out Laing. He has to be in the mix there as well.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | February 27, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S

I have not seen Cooke play, but he SOUNDS like a Chris Clark type. Clark excelled on OV's line in the past 2 seasons because of his willingness to crash and set up in front of the net. From alla accounts, Cooke does exactly that, which helps with a guy like Ovechkin who shoots from everywhere. Goalies are getting clean looks at most of OV's shots these days.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | February 27, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Tarik- Any feeling for how Huet was feeling about being here today? Happy, disgruntled, or whatever? I know what he told the media but I was just wondering if there was anything in his mannerisms that were different then what he said.
Thanks

Posted by: kcme | February 27, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@sombrero

Cooke is a Claude Lemieux type of guy.

Whoever said Olie is a couch is dreaming. If he retires, he'll go hang with the team he owns with Stu Barnes. The only place we'll see him is in the rafters.

Posted by: old time hockey | February 27, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero Guy

Agree. We've already seen that Fehr and Fleischmann arent the top line guys. OV/Backstrom/Kozlov was great for a stretch. But I would rather have a all Russian 2nd line with Fedorov centering Semin and Kozzy.

The 3rd last night was great, I wouldnt break it up.

Fleischmann/Laich/Fehr

4th line

Brashear/Steckel/Laing/Bradley/Gordon/Bourque/Cooke

are we allowed to play all of players?

Posted by: JSchon | February 27, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Re: Eminger

Two toe picks, getting beat badly on the outside leading to a Wild scoring chance, and taking a stupid elbowing penalty. How is that a good game? Thank God Schultze was there to mop up the 44 mess.

The forecheck was great last night. I think Flash had his best game as a Cap. I certainly didn't miss Kozzie last night as the extra speed of Bourque and Fehr was noticeable.

And a big kudos to Stecks who stood up for Bourque-that was awesome.

Posted by: Harry | February 27, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

GMGM: This is my newest discovery, Cristobal.

Huet: My Name is Chris...

GMGM: Not anymore it isn't, Cristobal will look better in Interview Magazine. Kate Moss, meet Cristobal.

Huet: Are you the Matrix?!

Posted by: FFS Enough | February 27, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

@freakin - not sure whether you were addressing me. I didn't state that I believed what GMGM said, I just reported what he said. However, regarding his statement that he never considered moving Olie, I will say that GMGM rarely elects to comment on "delicate" situations such as that when there is something to hide -- so the fact that he made this rather emphatic statement -- yeah, I'm inclined to believe him. Maybe I'm naive but on the rare occasions when The Undertaker is adamant instead of noncommittal, I sit up and take notice.

I like that Huet is already getting his new mask made. Sounds like he's ready to be a Caps!

Posted by: Jill | February 27, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we should try the forward-to-D experiment again and put Laing on the blue line

Posted by: Scott | February 27, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@Jill

Unless he completely a narcosis, Huet getting a new mask made is GREAT thing.

Posted by: JSchon | February 27, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't really addressing anyone in particular, just the sentiment about GMGM regarding Olie.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | February 27, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Scott

Then we put Greener on the wing...

Posted by: BearsWoooo | February 27, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell or Todd Collins?
Dmitri Young or Nick Johnson?
Kolzig or Huet or Johnson?

Ghorge Muresan or Manute Bol?

THIS CITY NEVER LEARNS!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon,

Well, he is French...

Posted by: Schultz for Calder | February 27, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Huet is getting "Call me..Im an UFA," painted on his helmet.

Posted by: jay-g | February 27, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Greg S. | February 27, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I did some goalie number crunching for the games played so far in February. Some interesting bits dropped out:

Kolzig - 8 games
.921 save percentage
2.375 GAA

Johnson - 4 games
.911 save percentage
2.5 GAA

Huet - 6 full games, 1 game where he played 4 minutes, faced 4 shots, and 3 of them scored. Anyone know the story behind that?
Excluding the 4 minute game:
.893 save percentage
4 GAA

Including the 4 minute game:
.801 save percentage
3.857 GAA

Posted by: Gelf | February 27, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I think the 2nd line with Semin should be where Fedorov goes. Kozlov was doing great with OV and Backstrom, so put that line back together.

OV can play with Fed on the PP. Please let Fed play the point on the PP!!

Posted by: cs | February 27, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

That is an interesting article. I had no idea...

Posted by: k | February 27, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

@Gelf

Exactly!! Our goalie numbers were not a problem in Feb. Things were looking better....We just threw a big rock in the pool if you ask me since Huet doesn't answer any long term questions either.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 27, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

If you ask me Huet looks real nice in the press box!!!! re sing OLIE

Posted by: GO SOX GO | February 27, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if Federov has scored against the Caps since he stole back 5 brief minutes of hope at MCI Center in the finals in 98?

Posted by: Elephant | February 27, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I personally don't care how many goalies we have. The whole point is to make the playoffs - if anyone member of the Caps has a problem with that then they should get the boot...

As for Alex and the gf situation. They always say - dont bang before a game... you won't have the energy to play your A game.

I think Huet is a great addition and I hope he does well with the Caps.

As for the Cooke trade - I think that was just to benefit Petty more than anyone else... Petty just built a house up there and he didn't seem to be fitting in here. I think that was McPhee just trying to help one of the "original" Capital players since the last time the Caps made the playoffs. The only other one is Kolzig... Semin might be one too.

I am still pissed that the team could not win 2 more games under Hanlon... we would be looking pretty good if that were the case.

Posted by: 828 | February 27, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

@SA-Town and Gelf

OV hasnt scored a goal in 5 games, Semin has 5 in 6 games...

By your logic, Semin is better...

Look at the year long stats for a better reference to ability.

All players go through slumps, even the best of players. All players go through hot streaks. Are they as good as their hot streaks? No. Are they as bad as their slumps? No. There somewhere inbetween.

Posted by: JSchon | February 27, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I think it would be an amazing thing to see Semin with Fedorov and Kozlov on a line. But who knows what kind of results that would make

Posted by: AP | February 27, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

This line in the article is telling:

Cooke eluded reporters at GM Place the way he ducked most of the players who challenged him to a fight over the years.

I know there's a role for guys like Lemuiex or Avery or Tikkanen, but I personally have never liked that style of play. Its sort of cheap and punky, IMHO. I would rather have guys like Laing who hustle or stand-up guys like Brads in the line up. If he draws a bunch of penalties that's great, but still it feels... low.

(p.s., How pissed would Avery be that I put him in the same sentence with Claude the Fraud.)

Posted by: old time hockey | February 27, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Interesting article on PEttinger and Cooke. Obviously slanted from the Canucks point of view with some of hte shots taken at Cooke and the boosting of Pettinger.

The one thing I wish someone would have asked Pettinger is if he was suffering because of butting heads with Bodreau then can he please explain why he sucked so bad for the 20+ games that Hanlon was coach.

What a cop-out by Petty blaming his ice-time and coach when he hasn't been productive since the first game of the season, including his time under Hanlon.

Best of luck Princess

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | February 27, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

They call him Cooker in Vancouver. Either that or Cookes (pronounced Cooks).

Posted by: Greg S. | February 27, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I think Petty had the preverbial cart before the horse. He was meant to be a 20 goal scorer and he two. Seems his expectations were a little skewed.

Posted by: Harry | February 27, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon

I agree entirely. We're pretty familiar with the overall performance of Kolzig and Johnson, and Tarik posted Huet's numbers yesterday, so I was interested in current streaks/slumps. Looks like Kolzig is hot right now, Johnson is consistent as usual, Huet is in a slump, and hopefully this trade will snap him out it.

Posted by: Gelf | February 27, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

@Jschon

Having a hot goalie at the right time is huge when it comes to success. Goalies stats are also a reflection of the whole team as well, much more then Ovie having a 5 game slump.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 27, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Gelf - So, that's one month of stats - check out other months... players can have slumps - look at Alex.

Were they PP goals, fast breaks, etc? Because in the past 7-8 games, the Caps have been pretty good against the PP (except for the Carolina game)... there are so many variables in that mess.

The whole point of this trade was to spark the team... as for long term - We may only need Huet for 2-5 years... after that, we have some young guys coming in.

Like I said before - don't care about people's feelings getting hurt with this "rock" in the situation. I look at it something new and getting something valuable for practically nothing.

I guess we will have to wait and see - I just want to win games and see Alex in the playoffs - the guy is going to be sick in that type of environment.

Posted by: 828 | February 27, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

@old time hockey

I know Kolzig isn't that quick any more, but suggesting he's a couch is a bit much. :)

The Vancouver writer took a bit of creative license there on Cooke. I'm glad Tarik doesn't write that way.

Posted by: Eddie C | February 27, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Tarik-

Excellent job as usual on reporting. I regularly visit your blog and appreciate the news.

Is there anyway you can find a comment on Ovechkin or any of the other players thoughts on the recent attendance at home games? It has been very good lately and would like to somehow hear their input.

Posted by: Chris | February 27, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

How unselfish is this?

Total team player.

Posted by: Dorsey | February 27, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

@Eddie C,

Sorry, typo. He's not a sofa. A divan or davenport maybe, but no couch.

Sure, the guy might be BC's Kornheiser, but the point remains that his reputation is as a punk. Its not my cup of tea.

Posted by: old time hockey | February 27, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

One thing about Fedorov is how versatile he is. He played wing a number of times in Detroit with Larionov as his center and also filled in on defense on occasion. I remember one of his coaches in Detroit said that if Fedorov played defense for a whole season, that he could contend for the Norris Trophy. Again, that was years ago when he was younger but I hope playing with Ovechkin, Semin, and Kozlov will provide the spark so that he plays like the Fedorov in the 90's.

Any word on what will happen to Johnson? Will the Caps make keep him up as a healthy scratch or will they send him to the minors?

Posted by: Lowell | February 27, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

So, who are our forward scratches? With the extra goalie, we are going to have to do something with a skater, send him to the minors. Who will that be?

Posted by: Christine | February 27, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Ovie having a 5 game slump really has nothing to do with Huets past 5 starts. Forgive me for using it as an example.

Huet is 21-12-6 2.46gga .917sv%
Olie is not

Has Ollie giving up a lot of soft goals this?
Is Ollie playing better recently?
Is Huet a good goalie?
Is B.Johnson is good goalie?

I dont have answers, no one here does. GMGM doesnt have the answers. BB doesnt have the answers. The only thing I know is that this debate will linger in here for a very long time.

Posted by: JSchon | February 27, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Our counterparts in Vancouver were pretty chilly towards Cooke, too, saying he turtles or hides behind refs after agitating.

I understand that we don't know squat, however there are enough there that think the same way about Cooke that makes me think that there could be something to it. Still, not a big trade and I dont' expect much out of it.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 27, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

The problem with Huet was that he was an all star last year and as long as he was the clear #1 he put up great #'s. When he started splitting time with price his #'s started dropping. Every time he let a goal in price would come in. Scouts think he's a top tier goaltender. Will get big money on the FA market. Tampa is already made it public. Montreal churns out goalies like mad

Posted by: elton | February 27, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@ Christine -

Borque will go if he hasn't already, then Fehr. Those are the 2 Hershey call-ups.

Posted by: Jill | February 27, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know why Federov got 6:44 minutes on the ice during the MTL game Feb 23rd?

Eeeks - Huet is 1-6 vs the Devils... Start Johnny...

Posted by: 828 | February 27, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Why does everyone think Johnny is odd man out? I think Olie has been worse this year. But I believe I read somewhere that from here on out there isn't the 23 players on the roster limit...can anyone confirm? If that's the case then it really doesn't matter that we picked up an extra goalie.

Posted by: kcme | February 27, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering when the first Family Guy reference was going to be made (re: Cristobal). Classic!

Posted by: Klim | February 27, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

@Clarendon

the reason atlanta didn't want Huet is they already have a #1. Why create controversy when it's not needed. Also Huet is a FA. Atlanta wanted things for the future. Montreal wanted a veteran goalie to mentor Price just like he did with Leightonenen in atlanta. The proposed deal with montreal was higgins and some other players for Hossa & Headburg. But Penguins added armstrong and stole hossa.

caps got a goalie cause they don't have a #1. Huet's upside is way more than kolzig and johnson put together. 90% positive that Brent will get traded in the offseason(has 1 more year on his contract). They couldn't shop him at the deadline cause they were doing other stuff.

Posted by: elton | February 27, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

@kcme

The reason brent is the odd man out is loyalty to Kolzig. A while back when the caps were selling and going to rebuild he took less money to stay here. So he was here during bad times(was better) and should be here during the good ones(as a back up). Brent has played well but they don't have to be loyal to him. That's why GMGM said if olie wants to be a caps he will be which means if he wants to be a backup he will be.

I'd like to see Olie as the clear backup. Would work well.

Posted by: elton | February 27, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

elton,

Kolzig took less money? Isn't he like the 4th or 5th highest paid goalie?

Posted by: 828 | February 27, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

From Montreal:

From this article, they say, "A native of France, Huet said he never got back into the groove after a giving up three goals in the first five minutes of a 6-1 loss to the Senators on Feb. 9 in Ottawa. He lost two of his next three starts, which prompted the Canadiens' decision to bank their future on Price and Halak."

Still, I think this is a good acquisition for the Caps, and a good bridge to take care of the near-term until the prospects fully develop.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 27, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I have to say that im looking forward to Fedorov on the PP with Semin and Ovie.. I dont like Ovie on the point and Sergi has played the point before.

The up tempo that BB has installed I think and hope will get more points for Fedorov and that 2nd line will be awesome to watch especially when Clark gets back...

Posted by: Darryl | February 27, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

makes more then brodeur actually.

Posted by: fin | February 27, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

And I don't know if anyone likes Mike Brophy or not (I'm not wild about him), but here's a piece he did on gmgm and his trades.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 27, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

right now he's making 5mil a year at the tail end of a 4 or 5 year deal. That was cheap at the time and still is. The tail end of deals are always higher. Kolzig is getting paid the same amount a little less than the top 5 put the other 4 just signed new deals and are entitled to make as much as 8 mil for martin breoudur, and roberto same deal

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Ok everybody, wake up! GMGM is clearly stating that Kolzig can stay, if he is willing to be a backup and take backup money (this is predicated on the Caps signing Huet). The point of GMGM's comments was to put the pressure squarely on the player.

Second, Fedorov was brought in to paly with Semin and Flash. When are you people going to realize that Flash is a top six forward? He is young, but even last night he produced.

So the lines are:

OV-Back-Koz
Semin-Feds-Flash
Cooke-Laich-Gordon
Brash-Stecks-Brads

Fehr and Laing go down.

If you have ever seen Cooke play you know he belongs on the checking line. But what is interesting here is that all four lines will have scoring options.

What is nice is that we have options now. But Laich and Cooke are going to be great together. The third person on that line could any one of Bradley, Fehr, Stecks, Gordon, even Brashear.

Give Cooke and Laich a week of practices and we could easily have 3 scoring lines.

Posted by: kenwood | February 27, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Byzie just sign for 3 mil? That just happened a month or two ago... so how is 5 mil cheap?

Brodeur, Kiprusoff, and Nabokov are the only goalies that are worth 8 mil... they play just about every single game.

Huet is making 2.75 mil on the tail end of a 4 or 5 year deal...

Posted by: 828 | February 27, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Olie is the 6th highest paid goalie in the league right now. (cash this year, not cap number)

Khabibulin: 6.75
Luongo: 6.5 (7 next 2 years, higher than Bulin)
Thedore: 6.0
Turco: 5.7
Gigure: 5.5
Kolzig: 5.45

Posted by: FFS Enough | February 27, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Mike Brophy's an idiot. I'd prefer "NASCAR" to southleast, and point out that 2 of the last 3 cup champs are from the south east division. Oh, snap.
Also, I *THINK* GAA is judged by how many goals per 60 minutes played. Kind of like ERA.
If a goalie allows one goal in 5 minutes and gets pulled, his GAA is 12, not 1.
I could be wrong though.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | February 27, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

When Clark comes back he is no longer top six material. i like the guy but he has always been more suited for the checking line. He'll go on the right beside Cooke and Laich, assuming he gets back. WOW! What an awesome line that would be. Talk about a shut down line.

Posted by: kenwood | February 27, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

More Comments/Salary:
Kenwood. BB is a fool if he breaks Fehr/Laich/Flash. That line is made of pure fire and give them the rest of the year to play together and they could be a close contender for #2 line next year.

Bryz just resigned for 4mil/year.
Nabokov makes 5.5-6 over the next 2 years.
Brodeur makes 5.2 for the rest of his deal/career (4 years).
Krispypuff makes 8, 8, 8, 6, 3.5, 1.5. Very odd progression but something it seems NHL GM's have learned from NFL.

Posted by: FFS Enough | February 27, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I think Brash needs to take Steckel in this summer and work on his boxing technique.

Posted by: AP | February 27, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

@Kenwood
"When are you people going to realize that Flash is a top six forward? He is young, but even last night he produced."

Yes he most certainly did. Playing with Laich and Fehr, which is why a lot of people want to keep that line together.

"If you have ever seen Cooke play you know he belongs on the checking line."

People said Chris Clark was just a checking line player, and he scored 20 and then 30 goals. I'm not saying Cooke ISN'T a a checking line guy, but it might be worth a shot to see what kind of havoc he can create on the first line. OV gets too pretty at times when he plays with Semin, and having a Scorer, a playmaker and a crashbanger might be a good mix.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | February 27, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@Whiter Mage

Did I not say that I don't particularly like Brophy?

The GAA is an average based upon goals and shots, not minutes. Kind of like a batting average.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 27, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Whiter Mage,

You are correct - it's exactly like ERA...

If a goalie plays 1 period and gets pulled because he allowed 3 goals - his GAA would be 9.00 GAA.

Posted by: 828 | February 27, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

They play one game together and you are ready to annoint them the #2 line??? That was three individuals who out hustled everyone else last night. I like the idea of Flash feeding those passes to Feds and Semin. Fehr's goal was individual effort. Other than that, it was all Laich and Flash.

Posted by: kenwood | February 27, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

@Winter Mage

- yes that is true. GAA is per 60 minutes played. Thats why when a team pulls their goalie with a minute left, even though that goalie only gave up 2 goals his GAA is slightly above 2.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | February 27, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Greg S,

GAA is based on minutes - you play fantasy hockey? Save % is bases on shots and goals.

Posted by: 828 | February 27, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S

you're talking about Save percentage. 18 saves on 20 shots would be a .900 save percentage (18/20)

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | February 27, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov had minor injury in the last game for CBJ, like leg spasms or something. That's why he left the game. He said it was not a big deal.

Posted by: alex | February 27, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero Guy

Now is not the time to 'take a shot'. OV/Backs/Koz works well. The goal was to fix the second line and putting Semin with Feds is the key and Flash fits there well. You could try Cooke on the right side (he is a LW). But Flash is not a checking line guy. MN is not a talent rich team, so we were able to get away with not having a genuine checking line last night, but look at the shots on goal. Possession was a major issue.

By setting the lines I mentioned earlier, you can put a lot of players in their natural positions, which is a good thing.

@Greg S.

You are referring to save % I think.

Posted by: kenwood | February 27, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Doh!

Posted by: Greg S. | February 27, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I think what made Clark so successful on the first line was the fact that he was willing to get to the net and get dirty so to speak. I thought the balance b/t his grittiness and Ovie's talent was perfect. That being said there is no reason that Cooke couldn't be on the first line. He may not have the talent for the first line but if he gets to the net and gets the rebounds and screens the goalie and protects Backstrom and Ovie by getting physical then I say why not?!!? It worked for Clark and it made his goal stats much better.

Posted by: k | February 27, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I'd say something, but I need to get my foot out of my mouth first.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 27, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

OV has 48 goals. He leads the league by 8. He did most of this with Backstrom and Kozlov. Why in the world would you mess with that?? Fix the second line if you need to fix something. Don't mess with the first line.

Cooke is a left wing. We need a left wing for third line.

Posted by: kenwood | February 27, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

GAA is NOT based on Shots.

TOTAL GOALS AGAINST / (TOTAL MIN PLAYED/60)

Example:
Hasek: 1768.52 MIN, 61 GA
61 / (1768.52/60) = 2.069

4 goals in 10 min of play:

4 / 10/60 = 24 GAA

Posted by: FFS Enough | February 27, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

GMGM said, and I tend to believe it, that he did not try to move Kolzig (he had been slated to start last night after all). I have a feeling he might have tried to move Johnson after the Huet deal fell into his lap since he's paid less and his numbers are better, but nothing came of it.

Deadline day can be a great day to be a GM or a horrible day - it all depends on where the chips fall. It's about 50% skill and 50% sheer luck in the frenzy. All in all, I think GMGM came out on top of it and the team is a better one for it, though time will be the ultimate authority on that.

In the grand scheme of things considering where this team has been, an overabundance of goaltenders is not a terribly bad problem to have. Just look at Montreal. They took a huge risk by letting go of a top-10 goalie for chump change to make cap room for Marion Hossa, and the Pens knocked their legs out from under them by selling the farm for the guy. They'll now be riding a 20 year old in net without much backup and without the offensive threat they had hoped to secure in return as a result.

We did well yesterday, though it'll be interesting how it plays out in the long run.

I agree that Olie should at least consider taking a non-roster position within the organization this summer and Huet should be signed to a 2-3 year deal as a bridge to one of the highly touted prospects.

Posted by: HolyOlie | February 27, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

kcme

You are correct. The 23 man roster limit is no longer imposed. The problem is when do you start each netminder. Brent now plays one game for every two of Kolzig's. How does it work now, does he just play one of every five?

Posted by: EssP | February 27, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

When Clark comes back, I would like to see him on the first or second lines. A third line of Fehr, Laich, and Flash like last night should be good. Keep the Brash, Steckel, and Bradley/Laing line together. The first two lines could be any combination of Ovie, Backstrom, Kozlov, Semin, Federov, and Clark.

So if Clark is skating again in practice, how long until he's back in the line up?

Posted by: Lowell | February 27, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

YES! I know!

At least when I screw up it's big enough that everyone can see it...

Posted by: Greg S. | February 27, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Sign OTG to a 1 year deal, sign Huet for 3. Package Johnson and Eminger and get a top 4 'stay at home' defenseman. Like Bruce said, we need a defenseman that 'will reach out and "touch somebody"'.

Posted by: KAS | February 27, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Is there a link or stream to hear any press conference?

Posted by: SA_Town | February 27, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Kolzig is the backup for Huet next year if he is willing. If not then he is gone and Johnson continues in his role as backup.

Of course we have to sign Huet for this to happen.

Posted by: kenwood | February 27, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

@Lowell et al

Have you guys forgotten that the goal this year was to move Clark to the third line? I like Clark. He is a heart and soul guy. But if he is a top six guy then we are VERY short on talent. I don't think we are. The talent is there...let them play.

Posted by: kenwood | February 27, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm done. I can't sit here and read any more of this stuff. Cooke on the first line. Give me a break.

Posted by: Anybody who knows anything about hockey | February 27, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Huet will get the Flu within 12 hours of being a Cap.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Rotate the goalies until you figure out which goalie is hot. Stick with him. Rotate the other goalies as necessary in backup roles and starting roles on back-to-back games. When the hot goalie cools off, rotate them until one heats up. Repeat as necessary.

It's an awkward juggle, but there aren't many ways to do it without creating a lot of drama.

Posted by: HolyOlie | February 27, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

@EssP- Thanks! It will be interesting to see what the goalie lineup will be like but I don't see Johnny sitting out for the next 18 games or whatever we have left especially since we aren't sure whether Olie will be willing to resign or Huet for that matter. If I were BB I think I would take the easy way out and just rotate them evenly through...especially since Johnny has been playing well this year. Gosh this is all just complicated...

Posted by: kcme | February 27, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Clark was out there at practice again today. He was skating hard and joking around and having fun the whole time. I hope he plays again soon.

Posted by: Jordan | February 27, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I Clark takes his time coming back I'd rather he take 2-3 games off when he's one thousand percent healthy and have him for the rest of the season then have him come back two early and only get him for two periods against the Flyers like last time he tried to come back.

Posted by: DC FURY | February 27, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Anyone remember the story when Hasek decided to return to Detroit in spite of CuJo who was signed as #1?
What happened is when Hasek retired, Detroit lured CuJo away from Toronto with a $24 million, three-year deal to replace Hasek. And then Hasek decided to return. Detroit tried to trade CuJo, but nobody would take him because he was too expensive (see Olie's salary)

Manny Legace said he was put in between them in a locker room. Hasek and CuJo wouldn't speak to each other. Manny said it was awful and awkward.

Posted by: al | February 27, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

history teaches us that it teaches us nothing.

Sting

Posted by: al | February 27, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I think it's a pretty accurate way to sum things up: if Kolzig agrees to be a backup and take a pay-cut, he'll be the backup and Johnson is gone. Otherwise, Johnson will be the backup and Kolzig is gone.

If Huet plays up to his ability, I'd much rather see Johnson as the backup.

Posted by: Vlad | February 27, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

@KAS

I don't think that you could get a top 4 AHL defenseman for Johnny and Emmy much less an NHL one.

Posted by: @KAS | February 27, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Interesting comments by Melrose on why we got Huet, or rather, why Montreal traded him before getting Hossa deal locked up.

The deal was for Hossa and Hedberg. Hedberg would have the same role as Huet which would make Huet a 3rd or 4th goalie. So they delt him to us for a pick thinking that the Hossa deal was done.

Oops! Almost as bad as my gaff up above.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 27, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Poor Ted Leonsis...

He signs Jagr to a huge deal and Miss Czechoslavkia breaks up with him. Jagr goes into a depression and can't put the puck in the ocean. Basically, Ted loses his butt on Jagr's failed love life.

Ovechkin falls in love but he has the opposite problem. He is overwhelmed with emotion and physical attraction. He has nothing left in the tank for the game.

Leonsis loses millions again. I know the Jagr part is true, I just hope Alex learns to "balance" his affections a little bit better!

Posted by: Muddapucker | February 27, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Here's the deal with Johnson.

If Olie Resigns as a backup:
We will probably send Johnson down to Hershey (read, put on waivers) with the HOPE that somebody out there will eat his .825M he's due next year and he's off our books and still in the bigs. (Cassivi is also a UFA at the end of the year)

If Olie retires, we keep Johnson.

Of the available goalies next year, Huet is the best bet for us. Theodore is available (I like him, he's only 30), as would be Holmqvist (ATL).

On the RFA market, if ATL doesn't offer enough for Lehtonen, or CLB doesn't offer enough for Leclair, those could be options.

Posted by: FFS Enough | February 27, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

And then the team started dividing in two camps, one camp was for CuJo, another, smaller (with Chelios) was for Hasek... nice...

Caps need to announce as soon as possible who is #1, this is for better. Bring Olie to the top and explain him that to the sake of the team he needs to take #2 role. If he resists, deal with it.

Uncertainty is the worse thing.

Posted by: al | February 27, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

(comment from France, sorry for the mistakes;)
reading your comments it looks like the situation is really blur with the goalies
Huet is getting out of a 2 goalies competition and you tell us he's now in a 3 goalies-one ! what is the aim of the GM ?

anyway, if Caps don't make it to the series, Cristo will be able to play the world champs with France :-)

Posted by: keopar | February 27, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if it was posted but Sens fired Paddock per espn

Posted by: MetalCap | February 27, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

@whomever @'d KAS

You're correct, we wouldn't but I didn't think we'd get a top 10 goalie for a 2nd round draft pick either.

Throw in Erskine or Jurcina and a pick or two.

Posted by: kas | February 27, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

al this is a totally different situation, hasek decided to return and cujo resented it. huet was traded to the caps and had no control over the situation, kolzig acknowledged this fact during his post game interview. he also said that he will act like a pro and a teammate and he has give us no reason not to believe him. with that said, he does have a bit of a temper and i just hope he doesnt let this turn into a distraction for a very young team. i dont think it will, and if anything we'll see more performances from him like last nights, coming down the stretch.

Posted by: sheesh | February 27, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

@KAS
Huet is a #1 goalie, but not a top 10 goalie...

We got Huet at the trade deadline. MON was selling Huet because they had no intention of re-signing him and letting him walk without getting something wasnt a something to show for it.

Usually teams selling UFA's dont get exactly market value at the trade deadline.

Posted by: JSchon | February 27, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

mental lapse...

We got Huet at the trade deadline. MON was selling Huet because they had no intention of re-signing him and letting him walk without getting something wasnt an option.

Posted by: JSchon | February 27, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse