In-game chat: Caps at Canadiens

Join Post reporter Gene Wang and NHL editor Lindsay Applebaum here on the Insider as the red-hot Caps seek to extend their franchise-record winning streak to 15 straight games.

Tonight's matchup:

Washington Capitals (41-12-6)
Montreal Canadiens (28-26-6)
Bell Centre, 7:30 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet (find your channel)
Radio: 1500 AM

The chat will get underway just before faceoff. Join the conversation below:

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 10, 2010; 3:03 PM ET
 | Tags: Montreal Canadiens
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau: 'The minute I relax is the minute they relax'
Next: Caps' winning streak ends in Montreal

Comments

I hope I get to watch the game stuck at work. Anyone know of a free website that will be streaming the game?

Posted by: callejo1 | February 10, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Young Guns, Fab Five, and Hard Hats come out with guns blazing, instruments tuned, and their Craftsman tools honed for tonight's game.

You may recall that our last meeting was the night Ovi was named captain and Flash had his first game as center.

Sasha had 2 of 4 goals (Price was in net) and was the most aggressive I have ever seen him play without getting a penalty. He was on fire.

Flash had 3 points with more from Fehrsie, Brooksie, Greenie, & Poti.

I hope they can recapture that moment, the fire, and burn the Habs' house to the ground. (And I am hoping for our power to remain on!)

Posted by: Steakum | February 10, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

callejo1: atdhe.net or p2p4u.net

Both are sweet sites, and between the two you'll find the game for sure.

Posted by: Aldred15 | February 10, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. I have a ticket for PHI@NJD tonight... but man is it snowing hard. Even living right across from an NJ Transit train station, I'm hesitant about going, since there's absolutely no guarantee I could catch a train back from Newark.

Not that watching the Caps game on Center Ice is a bad backup plan (better if I got it in HD, though!).

Posted by: KurtNYC | February 10, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

If every team wants to be the one to end the Caps' streak as some token of accomplishment, does anyone remember who were the teams that ended Pittsburgh's 17-game streak and the Islanders' 15-game streak?

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 10, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Aleksander: I think it is more of a at the moment boost then a long term accomplishment. The interesting thing on the Pittsburgh streak is that it ended on the last day of the season and it was in a tie to NJ.

An interesting parallel with the Pens streak and the Caps streak. In the Pens streak they beat the Caps twice, we have beaten the Pens twice. In the season with the streak Lemieux led the league in Plus/Minus with +55 and led in scoring with 160 points (a total for which he would win the Art Ross Trophy). At the pace he was scoring goals (1.15 per game) and picking up assists (1.52 per game), he would have scored 97 goals and tallied 128 assists for 225 points had he played all 84 games. Had he achieved these totals, he would have broken Wayne Gretzky's all-time records for most goals in a season (92) and most points in a season (215). (from Wikipedia). In our streak Ovechkin is leading the league in goals and points and missed a bunch of games (although he is not on Gretzky like pace but it is a different game now).

The one thing that I hope isn't the same is Pittsburgh lost in the playoffs to the Islanders.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 10, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the tidbits icehammer97. I too found it ironic that the Pens' streak ended on the last game of the season. They also beat 3 other teams twice during that run.

The answer to my other question is that Pittsburgh ended the Isles' 15-game streak.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 10, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I heard last night the Preds called up Nolan Yonkman. There's a name from the Caps' past. Dude was huge. Caps had high hopes for him but he couldn't stay healthy. Glad to hear he is at least still playing.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 10, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Good news for all the Yonkmaniacs.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 10, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Both of them.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 10, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Nyles wouldn't be glad to hear of the yonkman call up. Didn't Nolan Yonkman break Nylander's leg in pre season Nyles first time around????

Posted by: billd2 | February 10, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Totally forgot about the incident. I googled it and came across the entry below on the HFBoards list. Brings back memories I just as soon forget.

"How bout Semin stay on the top line, move Zubrus to center it. Gives us Semin-Zubrus-Jagr
Give Suts the playing time on the 2nd line wing? Gives us Grier-Lang-Sutherby?
Or, better yet, move Bondra back to the second line. Gives us Sutherby-Lang-Bondra?
Then the All-American line is back.
Who knows, Cassidy will find a way to mess it up."

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 10, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

does anyone else have difficulty getting this page to refresh with the most recent messages?

Posted by: ebolean1 | February 10, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Mike Grier, there's a guy I always liked. Boy was he good on the PK. Very smart player. I think his father was a senior personnel guy with the Patriots or something.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Let's get Gordon number of wins tonight (#15). We just finished getting Flash number of wins (#14).

So may the Caps slay Ming of Mongo (or should we say Ming of Montreal)? Or is Ming of Mongo an inhabitant of Pittsburgh?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 10, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

ROCK THE WHITE!

Alaskan crab legs and chardonnay. Also had some squash soup that was pretty good.

Also, the new road Backie jersey will get broken in by one of the daughters.

15!

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Do you adopt 47 year olds? I'll be happy to earn my keep by doing ALL your shoveling... :)

___________________________________________

ROCK THE WHITE!

Also, the new road Backie jersey will get broken in by one of the daughters.

15!

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2010 6:12 PM

Posted by: TimDz | February 10, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

ROCK THE RED!

Pizza and and burgundy.

Posted by: gonchpup | February 10, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

snow shoveling....

Posted by: TimDz | February 10, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Rock the Silver!

Coors Light and Frozen Pizza!

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 10, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Just read the Mike Wise column. Worthless. He writes as if wins in MTL, OTT, and STL are forgone conclusions. Stick to baseball, dude. Very tough three games coming up here, I think.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 10, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

ROCK THE WHITE!

Also, the new road Backie jersey will get broken in by one of the daughters.

15!

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2010 6:12 PM |

Tom,

Were those King or Snow crab. I love King the best! But either one works. Its kind of a pre-game/in-game ritual for me to eat crab.

Posted by: real_wtf_fehr | February 10, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

I must voice my objection to the fact that this game starts at 730. GIMME MY DAMNED HOCKEY!!!

Posted by: j762 | February 10, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

gonchpup: That's the wrong color for a road game. Hopefully the cheese in the pizza will make it work. You are responsible though for any Habs goals.

Tim: You're lucky you qualified that. Upon reading your initial offer, I contemplated acquiring a cemetery and using you for the "graveyard" shift.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: j762 | February 10, 2010 6:53 PM

i agree - drop the puck - my hockey withdrawls kicked in late yesterday

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 10, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Best thing about the 7:30 start is we get a pre-game show. Thats said...

DROP THE PUCK ALREADY!

Posted by: real_wtf_fehr | February 10, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey Alan May,

Why dont you tell us how you REALLY feel about the referees in the Pens game! lol

Posted by: real_wtf_fehr | February 10, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

wtf: It's the snow crab. Albertson's had em a while back $3.99/lb. To be honest, the more I eat them over time the more I'm put off by the saltiness. Two things I try and put less and less over time is salt on anything and sugar in tea (iced tea being about my only sugar). The one thing I can still take lots o' salt is steamed crabs, where you have rock salt.

Lloyd: I applaud your effort.

I think shrimp tomorrow, unless cod is aon sale again. Then white, maybe pork Saturday, and I don't have to worry about it until March.

I think I was maybe first to post a few months back I'd root for Russia in hockey in Vancouver, and I will do that plus Sweden and US third. Sorry, Flash, but any team with Jagr gets no love from me. And canada, well, they can lose every d@mned game 100 to nothing.

Stick that in your pipe Steve Yzerman and smoke it all down.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm snowed in at work for an undetermined time (most likely tomorrow I hope). I really need someone to link me to a stream of the game though. Hook a fellow fan up please. Going crazy with no TV and nothing but Kit Kats and Slim jims. Link Please!

Posted by: lornemyoung | February 10, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

gonchpup: I'm pretty sure this food/drink combination is illegal somewhere...
______________________________________

Pizza and and burgundy.

Posted by: gonchpup | February 10, 2010 6:39 PM

Posted by: TimDz | February 10, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

TimDz - What can I say... I've been snowed in for almost a week and I'm down to slim pickins'. You don't want to know what's for breakfast...

Posted by: gonchpup | February 10, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I surely hope the Caps can avoid the 10 minute lull this game. A full 60 minutes of hockey would be wonderful.

Posted by: TimDz | February 10, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

lornemyoung:
try: http://atdhe.net/
it is listed on the page

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 10, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

DROP THE PUCK.
Mike Wise is an ignoramus.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 10, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Captain.

Posted by: lornemyoung | February 10, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

i'm tired of everyone complaining about the snow - this morning it was about 65 degrees when i went to leave for work - so i decided it was time to get the 67 conv mustang out on the open road. you might be asking yourself so !@##%&^%$#@ what - we'll let me tell you ... it rained today - i was p*ssed.
sorry if my troubles seem insignificant to you - but they are real to me.

before you all get up in arms - i'm just kidding (and rubbing it in a little)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 10, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know the Vegas odds on this one? Caps were -135 when I bet on them to win at Boston on the 2nd. Then they were -320 at home vs the Thrash. I'm guessing about -150 would be right. (That means, bet $15 to win $10.)

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I just checked, -200. That makes Caps a pretty big favorite.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I think they need to create a new video game just for those armchair GM's who keep posting things along these lines:

"Unless the Caps trade [insert name of a player not named Ovechkin **here**] for a [insert 'Stud Center', 'veteran goalie rental' or 'Sandpapery, crease-clearing Stay-at-home D-man' **here**], they will never win a Stanley Cup, blah, blah, blah"

But what to call this new X-Box® bestselling title?

How about one of these:

NHL Delusions 2.0
Kiss My Salary Cap
"Salary Cap", My @$$"

or my favorite:

"I got yer 'salary cap' right here!!"

I say: Don't mess with success!

GO CAPS!

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 10, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Rhino40 - Agreed. More fans need to take Ted's angle - admit to not knowing as much as they think, and just let Bruce and George to do their job. THAT will never happen...

Posted by: gonchpup | February 10, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Rhino40: I doubt seriously McPhee doesn't make at least a tweak before the deadline.

I'll bet you a cold one we get at least one, if not two, of those gritty, sandpapery, crease-clearing, penalty-killing specialist types.

Maybe then you can tell George he's just an armchair GM for agreeing with tominfl1.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

gonchpup: Why are you trying to take the fun out of it? Ever hear of the hot stove league? Speculation is part of fandom. You think it's bad in hockey, try reading baseball blogs where the nature of the precise stats (BA, ERA, OBP) makes it even easier to dissect a player's contribution.

Anyone who even shares one eye like the Three Fates can see clearly that the Caps have a weak PK.

Why not address that if you can do so for like a #2 pick?

Fab Five? No way. #1 pick? I doubt it, we got Green, Schultz, Varly and Carlson late in the 1st round. Late second rounder? Our success there is highly limited.

Can I order a copy of your game? I guarantee I will win, since I always win.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

they are not playing well. They are not sharp, what happened to the 5-1 scores we've had. It seems as this team has not been sharp for a while now. It is concerning.

Posted by: tony28 | February 10, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

tominfla - Weak PK? Why don't you look at the PK stats over say, the last 30 games or so. Much improved! It's plenty old hearing the same yabber-dabber.

Posted by: gonchpup | February 10, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

tominfla - Of course THAT was going to happen... I jinxed them.

Posted by: gonchpup | February 10, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

why was the backdoor wide open?

Posted by: MNMNT | February 10, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

why did Theo replace Neuvirth after 1st period?????

Posted by: irish15 | February 10, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Ovie decks Gill, and gets robbed by the crooked Canadien refs. More proof that Canada hates Ovie. F*(kin A!

Posted by: hatchlaw | February 10, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

hellooo is Nuevy injured??

Posted by: irish15 | February 10, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

The NHL is a joke. No credibility whatsoever. It gets harder and harder to watch these games. As entertaining as our team is, the officiating is so horribly inconsistant, and sometimes apparently biased, it just is not fun. How can we beat the other team and the two refs and the discipline czar? The NHL sucks.

Posted by: kevbnyc | February 10, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Is that 14 goals in the last 2+ games for Theodore? Is he getting ready for the playoffs?

Posted by: jschildk1 | February 10, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

This is bull. By definition of anyone who's ever played hockey, which is most of the civilized world, the Metropolit goal was clearly "distinct kicking." (turning and aiming foot). And Ovi's should have counted. Now they scored again.

Can't win em all.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I guess all good things must come to an end. And unfortunately that means the 14 game winning streak of the Caps. There were a few bad breaks tonight. And some bad play.

Just start a new streak tomorrow. Today's probably a lost cause at this point. Yes, the Caps are a good comeback team but giving up a goal with less than a minute to go does NOT look good.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 10, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I blame the blogger who predicted a 7-1 Caps win right down to who scored, who assisted and the times of the goals. Never ever do that again.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 10, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Our defense all too often crumbles against a speedy, aggressive forecheck.

At least 4 of the goals were directly or indirectly related to our inability to handle the Canadien forecheck.

You can complain about the allowed goal and the disallowed goal all you want but that's not why we're in this hole.

Our defense is simply too vulnerable to aggressive forechecks and I see it as something that McPhee absolutely must do everything in his power to address prior to the playoffs.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 10, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

someone get send Tarik a message and get him to do his job. Why is Neuvirth on the bench???

Posted by: irish15 | February 10, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Look, they are playing like crap and if they lose then they deserve it. The call on the goal was crap, but it is not an excuse for not playing in our own zone.

Don't blow this out of proportion people. They have had afew bad games...it happens. They are not falling apart...they are getting a reality check, and frankly better it comes now than durring he playoffs.

Posted by: capscoach | February 10, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

20 minutes to go and some of you are packing it in. We expect 60 minutes from them... how about you? Wimpy fans.

Posted by: gonchpup | February 10, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Just got word that Ovi's goal was disallowed under NHL rule 69.6969:

"Any goal that would be deemed unworthy by Don Cherry because it was scored by a non-Canadian in an odd fashion where a very tall Canadian player gets pushed too harshly shall by under referee discretion whether to allow or not."

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

I hope the Caps can figure out how to play against the Canadiens by the time the playoffs arrive. Montreal may be their first round opponent. Do not want the Caps gone in a first round upset.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 10, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

i hate people talking on here as if the game is over. there's still 20 minutes to go.

Posted by: pwcpat | February 10, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1
I forgot about that seldom used rule. I believe it was last used in the early 50's when Maurice Richard was shoved out of the way by a Bruins forward. Bruins goal immediately disallowed by French Canadian Referee.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 10, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

The two goals to start the 1st and 2nd periods were both the direct result of our defense unable to handle the forecheck. The Canadiens were just skating circles aournd our defense and we couldn't get them off the puck.

Morrison's penalty came while the Canadiens once again pinned us in our own end with their forecheck.

Another goal was the result of their forecheck forcing a turnover.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 10, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Goals are not scored simply because of our "D". With the puck in our end, the forwards are defenders as well. Perhaps one of the forwards missed an assignment or clearing chance at some point. It's not an automatic call for "WE NEED A BLAH, BLAH, BLAH DEFENDER".

Posted by: gonchpup | February 10, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

@pwcpat

I know I'm pessimistic at the moment but three goals is a lot to make up in 20 minutes.

Yes, it's been done but ....

1) Our goalie is not sharp tonight

2) The defense is not sharp tonight either

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 10, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75

I hope the Caps learn to play against any team with a speedy, aggressive forecheck, not just the Canadiens.

That, or I hope McPhee makes the necessary changes to improve our ability to handle aggressive forechecks (and, similarly, kill off penalties).

I see a lot of the same issues in our inability to kill off penalties as I see in our inability to contain aggressive forechecks.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 10, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

@ gonchpup ...we DO need a stay at home defender...maybe b/c our forward are no good at D or maybe our D are not good at D...but this is nothing new and has been a problem all season...it's not like anybody is saying they are no good.

Posted by: capscoach | February 10, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Well, we can all thank Mike Wise's article for jinxing the streak! Just kidding (I think?). Oh well, can't win them all! To me they look like they are packing it in for the Winter Olympics. Either that or Montreal is really playing inspired after the injury to one of their players. Anyway, there is reality and then there is delusion, the Caps just do not have it today. Nothing wrong with it, but it will make them play that much harder against Ottawa. They still need a strong fast puck clearing defenseman (good luck with finding that, GMGM).

Posted by: JohnWWW | February 10, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Game over.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 10, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I couldnt agree more, very well put!! Why is it that we can't get a fair called game at all this season?? How is it that the officail that originally makes a call, or the one that is sitting in front of the play (Phantom slash) constantly gets overruled??? doesnt make sense

Posted by: cmajer7 | February 10, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I hope that as parents, you didn't talk down to your kids when they brought home a 96% on a test. You guys are unbelievable.

Posted by: gonchpup | February 10, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I would not be surprised if I see the lines shaken up for tomorrow's game.

Of course, it will depend on whether Chimera is back or not.

Lines to try:

1) Leave first line alone

2) Shake up 2nd and 3rd lines, such as let's try: Laich/Flash/Fehr with the remaining guys on the third line.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 10, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

I agree that our forwards are also responsible when it comes to countering aggressive forechecks and killing off penalties but I see most of our defensemen all too often being beat in one-on-one situations in our own end. I see their lack of speed and ability to move their feet and stay with opposing forwards. I see them losing battles along the boards. I think we need personnel changes on the backend.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 10, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gonchpup | February 10, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

thats exactly right. I'm seeing a lot of our forwards dropping the ball defensively. And its not just about backchecking either. Our forwards love to skate. They'll skate backwards after they cough up the puck. Semin skates his butt off each time he turns the puck over in the neutral zone.
A bigger part is how our forwards play along the boards. They don't really help our defense out when our defense is trying to clear the puck and tonight they're really not assisting at all.
Tonight, most of our defense is playing pretty well. Schultz has not played well, Erskine has not either. Sarge must be listening to his own hype because he let Metro skate right up to the front of the net without trying to block him out. And he made a weak play on that fumbled puck which led to the last goal. Pothier has really played well. I'd like to see him in the lineup fulltime.

its not a big deal if we lose this game. Its more important that this team figures out its holes leading upto the deadline and tweak the lineup accordingly. I think you'll see us pick up one center, one defenseman.

I think our PK needs work and Tominfl is right, we need some more scrappiness on our PK. The other team has too much room to skate around.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Blah, blah, blah... I'm out of here. I'm happy with our boys and will allow for a few gaffs now and then. You think the new players you say we NEED won't cough up a few? Blah, blah, blah...

Posted by: gonchpup | February 10, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

Do you have a good suggestion as to players we can acquire to improve in that area? And what we'd have to give up?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 10, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

tmac: Sometimes when the other team scores it's because they are playing well.

You all watch, Don Cherry will be quoted upon watching the disallowed Ovi goal that it should not have counted because it "didn't look right."

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

this game's reflective of a team who has been depending on coming back in the 3rd pd of too many games due to slacking off here and there in the first 2 periods. If they could just bottle their 3rd period efforts they'd be playoff ready

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Seriously....whine whine whine...

they were not going to win every single game the rest of the year...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 10, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

and do not mix any of the forward lines up...

if we need anything, it would be a better defenseman than Erskine and Sloan playing.

They are clearly our weakest link....

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 10, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

can the negativity stop now?

Posted by: pwcpat | February 10, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

4 goals has to be enough come playoff time...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 10, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Brooks Laich! Did I give up prematurely (heavens! I've never done anything prematurely! ooops!)? Can we beat the Habs, the league, the refs and Don Cherry all in one night?

Stay tuned...

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Horrible timing for an offensive zone penalty. We had all the momentum.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 10, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Laich is just awesome. Most well rounded player on this team. He plays with two wingers who are either hot or cold. Lately they haven't been helping him out too much.

Green and Schultz with too many turnovers tonight and hopefully BMo's spot gets upgraded at the deadline

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

How can anyone possibly say this team can't be upgraded when BMo keeps playing like this?

It's like having the #1 defense in the NFL except one guy keeps missing his tackles.

Now matter walk of life, whatever you are doing, you always look to fix the weakest link.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

you know that feeling you get where you think OV is gonna score soon? i'm getting that feeling.

Posted by: pwcpat | February 10, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

nice to see Mo and Erskine paired up on the PK. At least they don't let forwards have too much room without getting kabombed.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

cstanton...

are you watching the same game?

Erskine and Poti have been just terrible together.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 10, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

whoever said 4 goals should be enough to win a playoff game hasn't watched the Caps overall defensive play the last 3 yrs. 4 goals is no guarantee for a team with such a heavy emphasis on offense. Many teams are geared towards winning 3-2 games. The Caps' style isn't conducive to playing shutdown defensive hockey. And again, its not just our defense. Our forwards play a big part in how many shots we give up or offensive puck possession by the other team.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

cstanton...

are you watching the same game?

Erskine and Poti have been just terrible together.

--------------

um yeah, no argument from me on that one. Where did I say they've played well together? I said Erskine and Schultz have had weak games tonight. Pothier's played well. And at the end there it was nice to see a strong shift from Mo and Erskine (not Poti and Erskine) on the PK

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

technically we should be tied though. In spite of turning in yet another less-than-60 min effort, we should be tied. That Ovechkin non-goal was one of the worst calls I've seen in a long time. Remember Mike Knuble (I think it was) hitting Mo into our goalie in the playoffs that led to the winning goal against v the Flyers 2 yrs ago ? that was clearly interference, Ovechkin's hit was not.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

78.5 Disallowed Goals – Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee and the appropriate announcement made by the Public Address Announcer for the following reasons:

(i) When the puck has been directed, batted or thrown into the net by an attacking player other than with a stick.

Metropolit's goal should not have counted. Also, Datsyuk's last night.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 10, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

man, Flash will go all game without doing anything of mention then he pulls a solo move like that.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

i should just watch the 3rd pd of every Caps game. I can get more done.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

lol, what a trip!

knuble was a solid pickup, he's made this entire team motivated to go crash that net

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Nice hat by Brooksie.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 10, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

ahhhhh. did i say we still had 20 minutes left? don't ever give up on the capitals.

Posted by: pwcpat | February 10, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

OK, so I was premature in giving up after the 2nd.

And, no, I've never been premature before.

I'm 52, cut me some slack.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

pothier with a mistake free game tonight, i never thought he could play this well

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

there goes the streak. Probably for the best. This team can come back down to ground zero and start playing some better fundamental hockey

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 10, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

nice play schultz

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 10, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1: you jinxed Pothier. He was victimized on the game winner.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 10, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

F%^$#*@@&*&&*CK!!!!!

Posted by: natresgroup | February 10, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait to read Tarik's game summary to finally find out why the retard refs decided to give this game to Montreal.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | February 10, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

It was a great streak. We still have an undefeated streak going, though.

We may get to see Varly tomorrow.

Posted by: elicea | February 10, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow. A loss feels so unusual. It was a good run though. At least it wasn't against the Hens. We need to get better defense that's for sure.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | February 10, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Game over, streak over. Hope they get another one started tomorrow. Now perhaps the Caps will play more solid defense.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 10, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

It was a fun ride. Now it's time to clean up some things for the real season coming up in a couple of months.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 10, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Well, good fight back to get at least 1 point.

Not sure what was wrong tonight, but Schultz and Pothier were absolutely awful. Poti wasn't much better. And of course, Brendan Morrison stunk it up as well.

Posted by: wahoo_Mike | February 10, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

We absolutely have to get better in our own end. That means both the defensemen and forwards.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 10, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

I really like Morrison as a person but he's not doing much recently to help the team win hockey games.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 10, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Schultz did have a pretty rough game, but we now know what it takes to beat the Caps - not 6 habs, but 4 refs on a bogus overrule of a goal. I hope that there is some sane explanation out of Toronto tomorrow morning for this.

Posted by: vtavgjoe | February 10, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

nice play schultz

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 10, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Pens beat the Caps again... this time in historical winning streaks! nice try, but not good enough Cr@pitals

Posted by: puckheaded1 | February 10, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, the +/- for our D tonight: -2 Poti & Erskine, -1 Pothier, 0 Schultz, +1 Morrison, +2 Green.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 10, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Nice run.

Please don't call me a whiner, I'm not, I'm just pointing out we've allowed 15 goals the last three games.

Usually that would make you 0-3. In our case, 2-0-1.

BTW, to whoever pointed out, the 3/4 combo on defense has been about effective for the Caps as the US Congress trying to do anything.

I will hold that the Metropolit goal was no good (he turned his foot and aimed, and any soccer player knows that's a "kick") and the Ovechkin goal should have counted. For the league to say your foot needs to leave the ice like a fooball kicker to be a kick, that's lame. And, with Ovechkin, he checked Gill while the puck was at Gill's feet. Legal check should be legal goal. If that doesn't worked, the rule is FUBAR and should be addressed.

Caps got jobbed but who cares. Still half a win. New streak starts tomorrow.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 10, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

We still have an undefeated streak going...

Posted by: elicea | February 10, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Schultz had a bad game.. he played Plekanec too soft on the winner. But it was a fantastic pass... But the bigger crime is the Ovie goal being wiped out. I won't get over this. Like BB said, it'd be fine had they called no goal initially. But they called it a goal.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 10, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: puckheaded1

When was the last time this year the Pens won 4 in a row? MORON.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 10, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl: I agree with you about about both those goals. I posted the rule earlier. Kicking is disallowed but also "directing" the puck with anything other than a stick. when you angle your skate as you see the puck coming, that is directing and should be no goal.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 10, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse