In-game chat: Caps vs. Thrashers

Post reporter Gene Wang will chat live from Verizon Center as the Caps look to complete a season sweep of Atlanta at 7 p.m.

Tonight's lineup:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin
Laich-Morrison-Fehr
Chimera-Belanger-Fleischmann
Laing-Gordon-Walker

Schultz-Green
Morrisonn-Corvo
Sloan-Carlson

Ondrej Pavelec will start for the Thrashers.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 9, 2010; 3:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Theodore set to start vs. Atlanta
Next: Ovechkin, Backstrom share spotlight, puck

Comments

A goal for Semin, several for Ovi, and at least two assists for Backstrom, thanks. I'd love for Knuble to get a couple too but he'll have to do so from the press box.

FYI, I changed my username from Sonyask.

Posted by: Justafan | April 9, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

aucoin won AHL MVP today

Posted by: _stevo | April 9, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

@Justafan:

How did you change your Post ID? I've been trying to figure that out for a few days now and have totally drawn a blank!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | April 9, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know who is in net for the Thrashers tonight?

Posted by: gebster | April 9, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Pavelec

Posted by: Steakum | April 9, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

@Justafan:

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | April 9, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

DevislCapsGal:

I signed out, and then went into my internet cache and deleted everything that I could possibly identify as a part of the site. I then re-registered with a different e-mail address. The FAQ's also state that you can submit a request to delete your user name with WashPost.

See you in Sec. 105! (you'll recall we met at the start of last year's playoffs)

(Justafan, formerly Sonyask)

Posted by: Justafan | April 9, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

"... I signed out, and then went into my internet cache and deleted everything that I could possibly identify as a part of the site.
..." Justafan

Alternative method if you use Mozilla Firefox:

1)Click Tools>Clear Recent History
or CTRL+SHIFT+DEL

2)on pop-up window:
select:
- Cookies
- Cache
- Active Log Ins
click the "Clear Now" button

3)then re-register as Justafan said.

Posted by: hock1 | April 9, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, what happened to the Presidents' trophy? It's in two pieces? Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: Irreverent_inDC | April 9, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Go Ovie get some goals
We will so win 4-1 min tonight

Posted by: david4river | April 9, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Philadelphia-1
Rags-0

Posted by: robostop10 | April 9, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Great save on Ovie. Wow!

Posted by: robostop10 | April 9, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Nice defensive play by Sloan.

Posted by: robostop10 | April 9, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see Obi-Wan Knuble get his 30th on Sunday. His effect on this team has been tremendous. Way to go, doubledeuce.

Posted by: McLobo | April 9, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

This is way too much drama then necessary.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan1 | April 9, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

That was nice. Hawaii 5-0!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan1 | April 9, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Still 4-3 NYR 8mins 3rd.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan1 | April 9, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

less than 2 to go in NY

Posted by: robostop10 | April 9, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Rangers win 4-3.

Posted by: robostop10 | April 9, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

What a great day. Ovie just reclaimed the goals and points leads, Backstrom broke 100 points, Caps got to 120.... only thing that would have made it better was Semin getting #40.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 9, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

HOLY JUMPIN'!

SEMIN HAD 11 SOGs

no goals 3 assists

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 9, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Rangers won... that's gonna make the playoff race interesting. If the Rangers win Sunday, they're in the playoffs. They could even make it if they just get 1 point.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 9, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I think Knuble with OV and Backs are a good line, but Semin with OV and Backs are just simply great. A different type of line, the beautiful game (to steal the line from the Brazilian's soccer team) is what you see with those three guys. Semin is just simply a great player.

Posted by: hock1 | April 9, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

haha. they're going to cut the puck in half.

Posted by: elicea | April 9, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

There is only 1 reason I don't like Semin with Ovie on any line - they tend to try fancy plays instead of shooting. Doesn't seem like the case tonight, but it has happened more often than not. I love seeing Semin on the 2nd line, because then each of the top 2 lines has a huge scoring threat. I think the 1st line is generally better with Knuble instead of Semin, but sometimes, like tonight, Ovie and Semin absolutely shine.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 9, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather see NY in rnd 1 then Philly. I spent the last two hrs rooting for the Rangers, strange...

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan1 | April 9, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

" I love seeing Semin on the 2nd line, because then each of the top 2 lines has a huge scoring threat."

Exactly, we need that kind of continued offensive pace during the playoffs so I would have them as lines 1 and 2 if I were the Caps bench braintrust.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan1 | April 9, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Ovie and Nicky hug!! Awww, I love this team so much.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

you always need a guy willing to do the dirty work in a line... yes, Semin, Ovi and Backs can work beautifully together but I've never been a fan of putting 3 skilled guys in a line together unless you're down in a game and really need to score to tie it up

Posted by: joek443 | April 9, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Ovie and Nicky hug!! Awww, I love this team so much.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse
---------
haha. my exact thought when I saw them hug!

Posted by: elicea | April 9, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

If I was to pick lines, I would stay pretty close to what Boudreau has been doing for the most part. What I think is best is:

Ovie-Backs-Knuble
Semin-Morrison-Laich
Flash-Belanger-Fehr
Chimera-Steckel-Bradley

Maybe put Walker in for Bradley, or Gordon in for Steckel on back-to-backs.

And on D:

Schultz-Green
ShaMo-Corvo
Carlson-Poti

Maybe put Juice in place of Poti once he's healthy. And please, pull Poti off the PK! He's the weakest link there.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 9, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Ovi is now #1 in the NHL in both points and goals. He'd lead in +/- is not for that schemer Jeff Schultz. If he can close the season with a lead in both categories, they can't keep the Hart from him, unless they give it to some loser goalie.

Backstrom tops triple digits in points. Green hits 75. 4 guys with over 75 points!!!

Only 3 teams have more than 2 with that many. SJ with 3 and TB, VAN with 2.

Green now has more assists than Crosby the great passer.

120 points. What a season. Lets finish it off with with a big silver trophy.

Posted by: rjma1 | April 9, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 9, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Caps would have to go 0-for-6 or 1-for-10 on the PP on Sunday to drop below 25% for the season.

Not sure why that stat captured my interest, but I am knocking on wood . . .

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | April 9, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't think we're gonna see Jurcina back in the lineup unless there's at least a couple injuries...

they got what they got, just gotta hope that they play well enough

Posted by: joek443 | April 9, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

HAHA WPL karma!! The whole team needs to go on Washington Post Live!!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

joek, I think you're right, but I still think they should sit Poti. He seems to cost us more often than he helps. And of the Caps defensemen, he is the one whose presence on the ice most often ends up in the Caps PK giving up a goal.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 9, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

ovi back where he belongs

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

Amazing to see him up there with 10 less games played then Sedin... I have no doubt he'd be wrapping both the Art Ross and Rocket Richard had he not missed those 10 games.

The bad thing is Pittsburgh plays the Thrashers and Islanders...

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Something bothers me about seeing players blatantly pursuing invididual goals, esp. when they are risking getting injured for no good reason in the process.

You could see the players trying to do things differently with individual goals on their minds and that has been going on for a few games. You don't want them to develop even a hint of bad habits going into the playoffs.

On top of that, Semin gets an elbow to the chest area and Green nearly goes head first into the boards after getting hit from behind. Atlanta was a frustrated team after just recently being knocked out of the playoffs and it had to bite them to see our guys just trying to rack up points. We're lucky that they aren't a tougher or dirtier team.

I firmly believe that if you earn the right to rest your key players, then you do so, even if it means sacrificing personal goals. The risks of doing otherwise outweigh the benefits, especially in a physical sport like hockey where injuries are such a common occurrence.

I'd rest Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin and Green in the final game. I want our guys to win all the individual awards every year but not if it means that they have to play in relatively meaningless games in the process. I want it to happen naturally over the course of the season. I don't them blatantly playing games for that sole purpose.

Posted by: tmac2yao | April 9, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

The thing with Knuble on the first line is that they tend to play more individually and more predictable. Yes they score but they are more of the lucky type than and harder to accomplish, while with Semin on the first line they play less individually, less predictable, and the other team will have a hard time double and triple teaming OV and Semin as they do now when they are in separate lines. Would the one great line score more than the two good lines? I think so. They were in a great pace early during the year when they were together, and Morrison and Knuble play well together too and are good complementary players, so the second line still will be as powerful.

Posted by: hock1 | April 9, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

I understand about the resting the playing and not risking injury. But I want them primed and ready with as much real world practice as possible.

Posted by: rjma1 | April 9, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse