In playoffs, Caps are digging deeper

(Toni L. Sandys/The Washington Post)

Morning roundup

Bruce Boudreau has made the most of the Capitals' depth, turning to players such as Boyd Gordon, above left, to help put Washington within one win of the second round.

"Over the course of a series," Boudreau said, "we can always have guys that can be put in -- and you're not missing a beat." | Story by Barry Svrluga »

Game 5: Canadiens at Capitals
Washington leads series, 3-1
Verizon Center, 7 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet, Versus
Radio: The Fan 106.7

Today's collection of link-worthy links:

*When Bruce Boudreau worked for Jean Perron (Bog)

*"Alexander Ovechkin" song. (Alex Ovetjkin)

*"Replithentic" Habs jerseys. Worse than those fakers masquerading as Oreos. (Montreal Gazette)

*Jason Chimera plays the role of role player. (Japers' Rink)

*Montreal preparing for Friday's game with a "pressure-off approach" (Montreal Gazette)

*Classy trash talk. (Ted's Take)

*People are watching the Caps play hockey. (Puck the Media)

*Caps are a little "foggy." Yukyukyuk. (ESPN)

*More on Spraygate. (Alex Ovetjkin)

*Fanhouse TV talks Habs-Caps.

*Never mind that the Caps are up 3-1 and averaging 4.75 goals per game. What's with the second line?! (Storming the Crease)

*Missing Russian alert. (RMNB)

Last night's games

*Ottawa 4, Pittsburgh 3 (3OT): Matt Carkner scored at 7:06 of the third overtime to force a Game 6.

*Philadelphia 3, New Jersey 0: Brian Boucher and the Flyers knock out the Devils in the first round, four games to one.

*Chicago 3, Nashville 0: Patrick Sharp scores twice to help the Blackhawks tie their series with the Preds at 2.

*San Jose 5, Colorado 0: Logan Couture scores twice and the Sharks roll to a three-games-to-two lead over the Avs.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 23, 2010; 5:28 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Varlamov to start Game 5
Next: Mike Green nominated for Norris Trophy

Comments

Thanks for the early morning links, Lindsay!

Spacek did not make the trip to DC, according to the Montreal Gazette article.

The Habs have played their hearts out this series, and I would expect to see them come out hard again tonight. Can't wait to get to VC. Let's go Caps!

Posted by: Justafan | April 23, 2010 6:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm not so sure about the Alex Ovechkin Song by Tim Fletcher of the Stills, but the interview with the guy (a Montrealer) is terrific.

Posted by: Justafan | April 23, 2010 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Love the RMNB graphic of Semin's photo on a milk carton. If we advance, we'll most definitely need the 2nd line to show up against the Flyers.

Posted by: JillC | April 23, 2010 6:33 AM | Report abuse

the Capitals must win their series today. The Flyers are already waiting -- and resting. Last year going to 7 against the Rangers cost them, this is a must win in the grand scheme of things.

Posted by: OVIwankanOVI | April 23, 2010 6:34 AM | Report abuse

Last night's Senators/Penguins game is a cautionary tale! A team that's down 3 to 1 in the series can be clawing its way to a win and determined enough to make it happen. Please, Caps, take a lesson!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | April 23, 2010 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Flyers are resting up now, and the Pens have to go back to Ottawa, so the boys better have taken notes...

We need to finish this tonight...

Posted by: SA-Town | April 23, 2010 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Agreed. Guys, win tonight. Or we'll be facing a significantly more rested Flyers team in Round 2.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 23, 2010 6:51 AM | Report abuse

It's time for Flash and Semin to show up for the playoffs.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | April 23, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

who else is going tonight?

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

wow, looks the semin-bashers are out and about. what a trip. the guy can't get a day-off from the haters even on a day-off from hockey. that's pretty sad.

watch the game tonight and ask yourself why the opposition covers certain players while ignoring other players. why do you suppose the opposition teams have semin's every move covered when he is on the ice?

here's a clue: it's because the players they cover are the ones they see as a threat.

Posted by: 33spinner | April 23, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Oh, I think they took note of the Pens loss and I suspect more than one person will point out in the locker room that this could happen to us.

Speaking of the Pens situation, I don't know what the numbers are, but it seems like teams that lose long overtime games go on to lose the series. Even if the Pens break that trend it helps to wear them down.

Yeah it would be nice to see Flash and Semin contribute.

Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | April 23, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Assuming we make it to the 2nd round (knock on wood please) it will hopefully be beneficial to not have to face Gagne or Carter.

Posted by: capscoach | April 23, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I'll be Verizon again tonight. This season Verizon Center was loud just about every game. I will tell you what though, the loudest I ever heard it was when Ovi hooked up with Backstrom to tie it at 4. That was until Carlson tied it at 5. Then that was until Backstrom won it in OT.

That building is crazy. I have been there for all of the big wins the last few years too. I thought it was loud when Ovi stole the puck from the Flyers in Game 1 of the 2008 series and scored the go-ahead goal to cap off the 3 goal third period comeback. Then it was even more loud when Federov scored the go ahead goal in Game 7 against the Rangers. It was loud as heck in Games 1 and 2 against the Pens too. Still, like I said, last game it was crazier than I have ever remembered.

The sad thing is the new fans are so accustomed to winning that they do not tolerate lulls. Boos come down loud and fans begin to critique every pass. That is when I start to not enjoy my experience. I completely understand that some folks that make it to a couple of games a year are putting out big chunks of dough and they demand satisfaction. Even as a lifetime fan, I have to admit, I have raised the bar with this team. However, I am realistic in the fact that some days the puck just doesn't bounce your way, no matter how good you are.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

FAN CODE OF CONDUCT FOR GAME 5

- Dont boo the Anthem...NO WAY
- Ride Carey Price hard...CAR-EY, CAR-EY
- IF we have a solid lead in the 3rd, Na-Na-NA- Goodbye and Ole'Ole'Ole are allowed in the last 10 minutes.

Rock the Red

Posted by: SA-Town | April 23, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

The NHL will be announcing the Norris trophy finalists. Even though some Caps fans hate Mike Green, I'm not one of them, I believe he will be on the list. The league only announces the 3 finalists. Who will make the list? My guess is Mike Green, Duncan Keith, and Drew Doughty. I think Lidstrom will finally not make the list.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Well at least the new fans are past the "waiting for a fight" stage every two seconds. Now if they could only stop booing their own team and not walk while puck is in play. Maybe a paintball gun would help fix that problem.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

People need to lay off the new fans! Before they showed up you were all complaining about how empty VC was and now we have a new big crowd and you find something else to complain about. They will learn! Give them another season.

Posted by: capscoach | April 23, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I'll be there in my perch at the top of 105, respectfully listening to the Canadian anthem, singing our anthem proudly (with no emphasis added to the Red or Oh), and cheering on our Caps. I choose not to boo our team. I will rarely boo the refs, but regularly yell at them.

Now, Let's Go Caps, you can do it boys!

Posted by: _Mark | April 23, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

regarding Norris finalists...

I think it will be these three and voting will be in the same order:
Mike Green
Duncan Keith
Chris Pronger

Doughty neeeds to put in a couple of good seasons before he gets consideration as the best defenseman at 20 years old.

Green will win a close one with Keith, mostly because he's played less games and has more points and his +/- is tops, outside of Sargeant Schultz!

Posted by: FrankM73 | April 23, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

If they lay an egg, they'll win the next game. I'm not joining the Scaredy Cat Fan Club. :)

Posted by: blackjack65 | April 22, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

did you watch the pens game last night? they ended up playing a triple OT game and LOST... I'm sure the pens will win the series but why would you wanna play extra games??

yes, the Caps will win the series but if you have a higher goal in mind such as winning the Cup, you don't wanna play any extra games in the playoffs.

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

To be honest I put the walking up the stairs during the game on the staff at Verizon Center. Their job is to keep fans in the tunnel while the puck is in play. Even though it happens at time, at least in my area of the stadium, I rarely see someone going to out of the seats while the puck is in play. Instead I see them come rushing up the stairs to get into their seats. So, again, if the staff would do their job, those folks would be kept in the tunnel until a whistle.

Now, to be continually told that long time hockey fans, not just Caps fans, but fans of hockey that want to enjoy the game should be tolerant of stupid acts is selfish on the part of the new fans. That is like me expecting a golf course to allow me to do whatever I please and ignore golf etiquette should go out the window. Is that fair to the golfers that frequent the golf course, heck no.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: capscoach | April 23, 2010 8:46 AM

But am i right or am i right? haha

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 8:53 AM

yeah it is but you should also know that you're screwing up other people's views. it happens all the time in the section I'm in. maybe because my first set of games way back were with guys that played so I kind of followed their lead on how to act during games. for us though, it's kind of beyond the walking up during game play but other stupid crap with the seats behind us that the ticket broker sells to groups of people.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe the Senators won last night. That is so awesome. After 3 OTs too. How exhausting that must have been and now Pitt has to go back to Ottawa. Heed the warning, boys. Expect the biggest fight of the series tonight.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 23, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

@Fanohock...it was loud during those goals in game 2 of this series, but nothing in recent memory comes close to the last 5 minutes of game seven against the Rangers last year. Deafening for 5 straight minutes. I will say that I anticipate the noise for Varly upon his into tonight to be raucous.

Tonight is all about coming out of the gate hard and grinding whatever will is left in the Habs right out of them.

Posted by: Rainier1 | April 23, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I'll be in 105 as well tonight, and I just can't wait. The last two games were tough but Game 2 ultimately raised the crowd above all levels of madness. Thing is, we know we can do it.

I would hope we'll play far better tonight than we did in the first two home games. One of the monkeys we've carried on our backs has been the lack of killer instinct. Losing in 7 after being up 2-0, particularly when we could've won in Pgh, was a tough pill. We're a different team and it's a new day.

Go Caps!

Posted by: Justafan | April 23, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone listen to Elliot in the Morning this morning? He found out what hotel the Habs were staying at, and called Carey Price. This was how the Call went...

"Hello?"

"Hello, Carey Price?"

"Speaking"

"Hi Carey, I was just calling with a question about the game tonight?"

"OK"

"I was planning on doing some gambling, and wanted to know, how many goals do you plan on letting in tonight? 5 or 6?"

"...*Click*"

Childish I know, but I laughed :)

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 23, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

The series ends tonight. I didn't think I would be saying this when the series started but right now the Capitals have the edge in goal. Varly is playing lights out and the Caps have gotten into the head of both Halak and Price. I predicted that it would be the Caps in 5 and I think I'll be proven right tonight.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 23, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Rainier1: I totally agree with you there. As far as consistent noise I haven't experienced anything more loud than the closing minutes of Game 7 against the Rangers. Before that it was the closing minutes against the Flyers after the comeback. I couldn't feel my hands, and I didn't have a voice for a couple of days after that game 7 win. However the explosion of roars that came with those goals last Saturday were the loudest I have heard.

Montreal will come out strong and will obviously try to quiet the crowd early. If the Caps can get through the 1st 10 minutes without giving up too many chances, and especially without a goal against, they might be able to take the fight out of the dog. If the Caps score early the place will be nuts and the Caps will feed off of that. I'm just glad it's a Friday night game. I have not been getting much sleep because of all the games and if this game goes to OT I have NO REASON to get up early tomorrow!

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

From the article ted references in his Teds Take blog regardin the Mike Green trash talking quotes (which didn't seem all that bad to me).

“They don’t seem to be afraid of it,” said Josh Gorges, who admitted it’s tempting to shoot back because “it’s kind of fun in a sense to say things and talk in the media, but it’s not our style, it’s not the way we handle ourselves.”

Yeah, the way they handle themselves is by shooting pucks at our guys who just scored a goal and hitting them with goalie sticks as they skate past their bench. I guess they also forgot what Plakantec (sp?) said before the series got started. They sure do have high standards.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 23, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

-------------------

But the idea of being quiet when athletes are playing is anthema to the idea of sports and takes a lot of the enjoyment of watching golf and tennis in person.

I agree on not going to your seat when the puck is on the ice, though. I just think it's high time people start shouting during golf tournaments.

Posted by: M__N | April 23, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

@Rainer1

I agree completely. If the Caps can get two first period goals I could see the Habs getting lazy and giving up many odd man rushes and breakaways which lead to more goals. You don't want to do what the Pens did last night and give the team hope in the 1st period. Then it will be a grind.

While I agree with the masses that winning this game is definitely important because you want to make sure you win a series when given a chance, but more rest does not always equate to winning. Remember Boston and Carolina last year, Boston swept the Habs and Carolina won in 7 grueling game, then Carolina beat Boston in 7 more grueling games.

In addition, the Pens won the Cup last year and they were up 3-1 in the first round and lost at home before closing it on the road. While clearly it is much better to win tonight, it is not the end of the world if they don't.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 23, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully the Elliot in the morning thing was staged and they really didn't bother Carey Price. I don't find that funny at all. Why? If that was really Price he was willing to do an on the spot interview about the game with a DJ from DC which would have been cool of him. If they punked him, that's friggin' stupid and wrong. That kid has one of the biggest games of his career tonight. The kid is only 22. Reporters are screened prior to gaining access to the players and if they get stupid they are escorted out. So it's not like they have to deal with a stupid question like how many goals are you going to give up. Again, I hope it was a hoax because if not, that was uncalled for and stupid.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I'd put Doughty in ahead of Pronger. Mike Green will probably finish third.

The Pens have essentially now played six full games and have one more in Ottawa, at a minimum. For wear-and-tear, it's already a seven-game series. If it goes back to the Igloo, consider it eight games.

Must shake hands tonight.

Next round doesn't start to the 29th, I believe.

Posted by: saintex | April 23, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Green will NOT be on that list. The award is for "DEFENSEMAN" of the year (or Best Defenseman).

All I want Green to do, is start lighting it up in the OZONE!

I am not a Green fan, but I do recognize that he and Semin need to get going for us to have a chance!

Also, if it wasn't for Semin's neutral zone move in the third period of last game, we might be tied in the series...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | April 23, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Lindsay - Assuming Caps win in 5 (or even 6)....when would game 1 against Flyers be? Maybe Wednesday?

Posted by: DC20004 | April 23, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

and Elliott in the Morning...is the most classless radio show ever. I stopped listening when he was calling people in the south and razzing them about Dale Earnhardt dying in the Daytona.

And the girl that is on with him...why does she think she needs to speak like an African American lady with all the slang she uses. She is a caucasian suburban lady. She is offending African Americans everytime she speaks that way...it's very disrepectful..

Posted by: SoaringCaps | April 23, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

SoaringCaps: Wow, you musn't listen to NHL Home Ice, or watch the NHL Network. Outside of the Green haters here in DC he is very highly thought of in hockey circles. NHL Home Ice experts like Scott Laughlin consider him Green a front runner for the Norris. Phil Esposito loves him too. Green will be on the list. I don't know if he'll win, but he will be on the list.

I really am not knockin' your opinion, I swear, but you are going to be upset this afternoon.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Flyers fans are already coming out of the woodwork and trash talking. Just a sample of what there is to look forward to.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 23, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

fanhock...

no, I don't listen to xm204 often...

I won't care if Green wins the Norris or not...I want the Stanley Cup.

IF he is on the list, I hope it fires him up and plays better.

Also, thought he was our best "defenseman" down the stretch...but he seems to have reverted back to the pre olympic "Green".

And I will never be a Green fan...unless he scores the goal to win the cup (or he makes a great Defensive play to save our chances)...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | April 23, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

DC2004,

I think there are hard set dates to begin the 2nd round, due to TV, and whatnot. I think they would be off until the 29th.

Posted by: saintex | April 23, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Elliot called the wrong guy this morning. Halak to start tonight.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | April 23, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

like I said. Elliott, great supporter of the Caps, but an idiot as a person...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | April 23, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Ha- Devils SUCK! The new NHL has passed by old farts and their trapping defensive system- nice job Lou- guess the jelly is stuck on you!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 23, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Wow, talk about a game last night between the Sens and Pens. Last night's game just turned it into an 8 game series. I'm pretty sure the Sens deserve two wins for last night. The prospect of the Caps facing Marc-Andre "Slurry" excites me. Normally, I would want to avoid the Hens, but Slurry has been terrible.

Boucher is going to be tough. His save percentage is .940.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | April 23, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

[Cossack march]
Alexander Oveshkin he will hit you and break your bones...
[/Cossack march]

Ah! new ring tone FTW

Posted by: guer_j | April 23, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

The Elliot thing was funny. He did it last year to the Rangers too. He called Avery and said something silly to him. I don't remember specifically what it was but I laughed. I don't know Diane to speak like an "African American" person but sometime she exaggerates for effect, like we ALL do. It's a silly show with the purpose of entertainment. If you don't like the format, you always have NPR. Jeesh.

On another note, GO CAPS!!!! I watched the Pens-Sens game last night and it was so great to see the dejection in Crosby's and Malkin's faces. I hope Ottawa rises up to knock them out and they go home crying all the way.

Posted by: lafilleverte | April 23, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I can understand the frustrations when teams are losing that might lead to harsh criticisms of players, but it's tougher to fathom when we're in the win column. Flash had a tough game last game, and Semin has played well but not put one in. Green could do better, for sure, but he's been mostly reliable getting the puck out of the zone and creating offensive opportunities.

Thing is, we've got a long bench and when guys like Knuble, Chimera, Carlson, Varly, and Gordon are playing out of their gourds along with the rest of the first line, and we're killing in the faceoff circle in large part because of Belanger, and Poti's playing very well, and Ovi's second goal last game started with a great hit by Sloan on the opposite end of the ice, fans have a heck of a lot to be happy with.

Sure it would be great if all 19 guys played an incredible game for the same 60 minutes, but it's not terribly likely. Some folks want to criticize, but I'll take a lot of joy out of this instead.

Go Caps!

Posted by: Justafan | April 23, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

i seriously question people that can put up with elliot's cackle.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: samb99 | April 23, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree. He is a Howard Stern-wannabe. He is cur.

I can't believe eople actually LISTEN to Elliot in the Morning. He is NOT funny. His cackle is abrasive on the eardrums. The Junkies are better especially for legitimate sports-talk.

------------------------------------

i seriously question people that can put up with elliot's cackle.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 10:24 AM

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | April 23, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Looks like I finally was right about something! ;-)
-----------------------------------------
If Price flops tonight, it is likely his last game wearing the Habs jersey.
Posted by: igor_k17 | April 21, 2010 11:44 AM
-----------------------------------------

And he wasn't that bad at all - must have been his antics at the end that sealed his faith.

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 23, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

This is another Ovi Song, not so Russian and a little more vulgar, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfI11xZ_H2Q. A lot more catchy too.

Posted by: robgerri | April 23, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I only brought up the Norris list because the names of the candidates is going to be released today. I doubt Green is paying attention to it. Hopefully local reporters will not ask him questions whether he is on the list or not because it would just be a distraction. Now, if I were a Montreal reporter I'd ask questions for sure if this series goes back to Montreal.

Thinking about personal awards shouldn't be considered a bad thing. Every young hockey player dreams of being the best at their position. They aspire to be as highly regarded as their idols. Trivia, does anyone know why Alzner changed his number from 47 to 27?

Also, please don't tell me that football players don't dream about winning the Heisman, being the leader rusher, receiver or passer in the NFL, or being the Superbowl MVP.

Aspiring for to earn those personal awards are what motivates your top players. Of course they dream of playing in the NHL, but let's be honest, the kids out there don't ask their parents to buy Bradley or Steckel jerseys, they ask for Ovi, Semin, and Green jerseys. As adults we appreciate what the Bradley's of the world bring to the game, but the kids, not so much.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I seriously question people who seriously question other people's listening choices. Why do you care what other people enjoy? I'm sure there are programs or shows you like that I consider to be brain-dead and dumb. However, it doesn't affect me so I don't care. Maybe a little que sera sera is in order?

Posted by: lafilleverte | April 23, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 8:53 AM |

The VC staff does a fine job. I know, because I constantly see a rush of fans coming in whenever there is a whistle. The problem is, it takes longer to get from the entrance to your seat than the break in play lasts - which has been the case with me few times, especially when people sit and there and look at you when you're trying to get through to your seat instead of standing so you can get past.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 23, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link to the counterfeit Habs jersey program. It's a shame that so many Caps fans also have bootlegged jerseys, and likely don't even know the difference.

Posted by: SteveNaismith | April 23, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lafilleverte | April 23, 2010 10:32 AM

don't get your panties in a bunch. i think he's a good guy, i just can't listen to his show. that laugh annoys the crap out of me.

KAkAHAHLAKAKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Trivia, does anyone know why Alzner changed his number from 47 to 27?

Niedermayer, right?

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 23, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Halak's back in net tonight for Montreal. Good choice by them in my opinion. Boudreau must be getting pretty frustrated with Semin and Fleichmann by now. It wouldn't surprise me much to see Fleichmann out and Walker playing on a lower line. Based on his play I'd say the same thing about Semin, but he's got too much potential to drop from the lineup. If I was Bruce I'd seriously cut down his minutes to send a message. Depending on the score, possibly bench him for 15 minutes or so in the 2nd and see if he responds in teh 3rd.

Posted by: Stu_c | April 23, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Just to be clear, I didn't take a jab at people that listen to Elliot. I simply stated my opinion that if Elliot did in fact call Carey Price that I don't care for it. Others might laugh, that's fine.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 23, 2010 10:34 AM

In certain sections.
I'd say in about half of the games the ushers are missing in ours. They are there for the first period and gone the rest.

I usually wait if the puck is about to drop even when the usher is telling me to go. I don't want to get yelled at when i go up five steps and then the game starts. haha

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

KAkAHAHLAKAKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

That made me laugh! Elliot's laugh isn't what bothers me. It's the terrible interviewing and story telling skills. The first thing you learn in public speaking is to stop saying um um um uh uh uh. Get on with it! Once I hear about three of those I start counting and now I'll never know the point of the story or interview.

Posted by: lafilleverte | April 23, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Maybe a paintball gun would help fix that problem.

Posted by: beaupre33

I like the way you think. But we also need a way to deal with the leaners....

Posted by: Steve_R | April 23, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

igor_k17: Yup, absolutely right. In an interview Alzner stated that he didn't know how long a rookie had to wait to pick his number because they normally have to wait and be considered a permanent fixture before picking a number instead of getting one assigned. He said he figured what the heck, he always wanted to wear the number of the defenseman he grew up in awe of so he asked and the Caps leadership approved.

NHL Home Ice had Alzner on the air yesterday. The Bears won their first round series 4-1 and held Bridgeport to 7 total shots in the elimination game. He was asked about that and the Capitals organization as a whole.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

you didn't even find the joke on price a little funny

Posted by: _stevo | April 23, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lafilleverte | April 23, 2010 10:43 AM

i mean i listen to his show like once every two or three weeks. like i said i think he's a good guy. maybe i don't listen enough to get used to his cackle but it's just an annoying thing I just can't get over. there are worse shows that people are fans of.

i heard the greaseman several months back and i couldn't believe i listened to that guy in high school. he was horrible.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Boucher's numbers this series are very good, but he's been playing against a severely offensively-challenged team.

Posted by: EricinReston | April 23, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

As far as I remember BB has only benched Semin for taking ultra-stupid minors. Ever. And, I think, for a good reason. Often creative, finesse players need exactly the opposite - more time, extra PP, etc - to get going. To bench him would be a classic case of cutting one's nose to spite his own face. And I hope Laich is back on the 2nd LW - he has terrific chemistry with Semin. Which brings us the the same problem we have had all year long - Flash is not in our top two LWs (8 and 21 are) - but doesn't belong on the checking/energy lines.

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 23, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I like the way you think. But we also need a way to deal with the leaners....

Posted by: Steve_R

haha i thought about desecrating the seats of annoying people behind me times with condiments. especially honey. then they'd be in the bathroom cleaning it up and not in their seats.

but i guess that would have to be coordinated with the people seating behind them.

hmmm leaners. VZ center should train a monkey to roam the stands that would b-slap leaners if they are more than a 30 degree angle.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

_stevo: No, honestly, not at all. These players make themselves available for interviews when they'd rather tell everyone to leave them alone. Then, if Elliot really did get Price on the horn, Price was willing to do an interview even though he probably didn't want to speak at all. Then he got punked? Uncool.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

In some respects, the Caps too have been offensively challenged, namely, the power play. I think the Flyers will be more disciplined concerning PM so the Caps must take advantage of them.

-----------------------------

Posted by: EricinReston | April 23, 2010 10:52 AM

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | April 23, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

igor: Since Elliot is an escape to mindless humor your use of the saying "cutting one's nose to spite his own face" reminded me of a show I use for mindless humor. The Office, the boss Michael Scott jacks up saying and he jacked up that old saying and said "cutting one's nose to spider face." Your post just made me think of that episode. Thanks!

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

@_stevo

Excuse me, but you've got a game score to predict, and it's gameday. Your augury skills are needed.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | April 23, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

fanohock,

Game 7 vs the Rangers was the longest, loudest sustained roar that I've ever heard from the Feds goal to the final horn.

That said, after Nicky buried the game winner in OT it turned holy sh@@ loud inside the VC.

Posted by: Steve_R | April 23, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

@ MyPostID...

I agree that we'd have work to do on our PP, but we're scoring 5 goals/game as it is, and Boucher has no track record of sustaining the kind of performance he put on in the first round.

Posted by: EricinReston | April 23, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I would avoid dismissing Flyers as a serious opponent. Not that it means a whole lot, but before the season started they were ranked (i.e. Sporting News) among the top four in the East, along with Pens, Bees and Caps. Funny, those four, while not necessarily at the top during the regular season, are likely to be the East semis.

Flyers goaltending is still a big questionmark. And they will surely miss Gagne and Carter. Short of moving Briere to the RW, they have very little scoring threat from the wing. But they are a better team than MTL in my opinion. What may work in our favor though is the fact that the Flyers will not try to park a bus (little Morihno humor here) on their blue line like the Habs did, at least the first two games. They play aggressively - which allows for our fast transition game. We like that!

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 23, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock

fair enough on the EITM thing. You think there is any chance we see my boy erskine tonight?

@MyPostIDisAfake

haha, i know prediction will come later once i know the lineup.

Posted by: _stevo | April 23, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

@steve r

I agree

After the Feds goal it was about as loud as it can get in VC....

Posted by: SA-Town | April 23, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

_stevo: Not tonight, or during this series for that matter. If we can advance to the next round he your boy will definitely get the call. His style of play is exactly what the Caps need to add to their line-up when playing a team like the Flyers. I don't want to anger the hockey gods and talk about the next round anymore though.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Let's not talk about the next round, please.

I was just reading the Game Notes and it is notable that Semin has landed 20 shots on goal, tying him for the team lead with Backstrom. he has been getting enough space to get shots on net, and in my view he and the Cps have been getting more time and space in the offensive zone as the series has progressed. It's just a matter of time...

Posted by: Justafan | April 23, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

We have played well against the flyers this season and I am hoping we will continue the trend! NJ being unable to crack Boucher is not really saying anything! They never had an offense...even with Kovaluchuck!

Posted by: capscoach | April 23, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Good article. It will be intersting to see the line-up changes in Round 2. Presumably Gordon out, Stecks in. Erskine and Walker both probably get time against the slow, goony Flyers.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 23, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

have to say I agree

Posted by: _stevo | April 23, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

The Bears are going for series win tonight against Bridgeport Sound Tigers. They are up 3-1 as are the Caps.

Posted by: instinct227 | April 23, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

instinct227: The Bears already finished off Bridgeport with a 4-1 win Wednesday night. They only surrendered a total of 7 shots on goal. They are getting ready to play Albany in the next round.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

The Caps need to finish this early tonight. Don't give them any breathing room...look what happened to the Pens. I don't want to see them lose and go back to Montreal. No no no no no.

Posted by: GoCaps08 | April 23, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

a few talking about the loudest time at VC - I think nothing tops the OV hat trick in game two last year vs the Pens. It was loud in game 7 vs the Rangers and loud when 19 hit the game winner the other night, but the hat trick from OV tops it for me. I couldnt hear my friend next to me.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | April 23, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

It's time for Flash and Semin to show up for the playoffs.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | April 23, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

is it surprising they haven't though? I mean if you had to pick 2 or 3 forwards that you knew were problematic, those 2 should be on the top of everyone's list. Semin's had one good period out of 12. That's not a fluke. He's just highly unreliable. To win the Cup, all your players need to be playing at the top of their game. You can't have 2 or 3 guys eating up significant ice time who don't contribute consistently.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

The Bears won the series wednesday night.

Posted by: markfromparkville | April 23, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I wish I was going tonight (made it to Games 1 & 2). I have a dinner work event tonight. At a restaurant. Where they don't have a tv. Where I could have stroll by on my way to the ladies room and get an update. This event better be worth it. Have fun, those of you going to Verizon tonight!

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 23, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I thought Green played pretty good the last game.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 23, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

@Justafan

Tune in tonight for Locker's Caps-Flyers "keys to the series" breakdown.

Posted by: EricinReston | April 23, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

OH - BTW - who loved that the Penguins game went into triple OT? And that they lost anyway?! Go Senators - take it to seven games!

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 23, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

@Justafan

Tune in tonight for Locker's Caps-Flyers "keys to the series" breakdown.

Posted by: EricinReston | April 23, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

@cstanton1, just curious, do you ever stop? I mean after you watched the last 4 Caps games did you say to you friends "boy what a great game?" or did you just spend your time talking about which Caps players sucked?

Posted by: Justafan | April 23, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

@Justafan

Tune in tonight for Locker's Caps-Flyers "keys to the series" breakdown.

Posted by: EricinReston | April 23, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

or did you just spend your time talking about which Caps players sucked?

Posted by: Justafan | April 23, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

i come off that way?

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

interesting stat about the last Bears game. They only allowed 7 shots on goal for the entire game including a total of 3 shots in the 1st and 3rd pds. And that was the clinching game so you knew Bridgeport was hungry.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

or did you just spend your time talking about which Caps players sucked?

Posted by: Justafan | April 23, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

i come off that way?

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for some introspection. I mean, yeah, it seems like the same contribution from you a heck of a lot. You obviously know a great deal about the game, but it seems like everything's a criticism (not least of which when it comes to Flash & Semin). And then the board sort of devolves into a spat between you and others who expect that our 40 goal scorer is bound to come around and you stick with what's wrong with him, and it all gets a bit tiresome.

But as far as the preponderance of criticism I'd say yes, you do.

Posted by: Justafan | April 23, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

cstanton1: Yes, every day. I can expect to see posts by you, doughless, or soaringcaps ripping into players, coaches and/or management. Additionally physicality is the topic brought up the most by you and doughless. Everyone has their opinions, and some come on and complain after a bad day, but they will also come with some good stuff to say, for a series of posts, not just a sentence within a post. Anyhow, I don't see the game through Caps glasses, I see the mistakes, but also recognize that there is no way these players don't care, especially more than me, if they do make a mistake. There is obviously no way for me to know for sure but Flash and Semin are probably beating themselves up over their lack of production. Since Semin has a tendancy to go stretches without goals do you happen to notice the look of relief when he finally bags one. Probably because he will probably finally get a good nights sleep.

Anyhow, that's my two cents.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Doughty, Green, and Keith are the finalist's for Norris.....just on NHL LIVE

Posted by: PhilR | April 23, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I know I'm in the minority here, but I miss the Cap Centre. I basically grew up there. Front row, season ticket holder, 25 games a year.

Tickets were cheap, quirky arena. I've only been to VC a few times and it feels so... corporate. There are so many distractions - people firing shirts, a band? Do they still have this stuff?

Don't get me wrong - a change has done us good, but I long for the simple times. The sharks games are even worse - It's like a circus.

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts | April 23, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Doughty, Green, and Keith are the finalist's for Norris.....just on NHL LIVE

Posted by: PhilR | April 23, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to fanohock for nailing his prediction.

Posted by: Justafan | April 23, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

But as far as the preponderance of criticism I'd say yes, you do.

Posted by: Justafan | April 23, 2010 11:57 AM

i'm not trying to pile on - but it does come across that way more often than not.
i've said i'm a homer before and for the most part i only retain the 'good' stuff players do on the ice - your (cstanton1) insight(s) helps me keep in perspective of some players overall play.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 23, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Looks like it Halak in Net for the Habs

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | April 23, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

It's time for Flash and Semin to show up for the playoffs.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | April 23, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2010 11:40 AM

Cstanton are you nuts, blind, or ... you are calling unreliable one of the top forwards in the NHL, 80G, 44A,+/-36 in the regular season with 20 shots on goal in the playoffs - tied with Backstrum on the Caps and next to the top on the league. I think you are consuming too many beers when you watch the game. I presume that you do that from the comfort of your home on a nice TV set, because obviously you have no idea what you are talking about. Please put your beer down and realize that your TV and the two bobbleheads speaking out of it are not giving you the whole picture of what is going on the ice. I realize that in your imaginary world you think you know what the coaches and GMs are saying and doing, but really, that is the beer messing with your brain.

Posted by: hock1 | April 23, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

fanohock-

just so i don't disappoint you today:

Flash sucks, Semin is a glass joe and Boudreau is a bald-headed loudmouth!!!!

Happy Friday to all and to all a GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: doughless | April 23, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

lol, wow! good stuff ! I like it. In my defence, I would like to point to Cpt Kirk's statement

"your (cstanton1) insight(s) helps me keep in perspective of some players overall play.

there ya go.

also, I do like a lot of our players. Well maybe about half the team anyway. And I think I point out why I like them or when they do something good. I actually gave Flash all kinds of props after the last reg season game v the Pens. I thought that was the best game I've ever seen him play.

I mean, I can kinda try and temper things a bit. I dunno. Its hard.

and ftr, its not Semin's goal-production or lack thereof in the playoffs that bothers me. Its his lack of effort and his lax attitude. I don't see any sense of urgency. I see laziness. So thats what drives my ire. If a player plays hard, then I can't be down on him for not scoring goals. But if he's skating around at half-speed, just playing a feeble game, that kills me. Ditto Flash. Most of the time he's not really playing as hard as he can. And I don't care to see guys like that in a lineup, much less a playoff lineup.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Doughty, Green, and Keith are the finalist's for Norris.....just on NHL LIVE

Posted by: PhilR | April 23, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I like Duncan Keith but I wouldn't take him over Seabrook. Last yr I thought it was an insult to the trophy to even have Green mentioned in the same breath as a "defenseman". This yr (even though he's had lapses lately) I think his defensive effort has been admirable. And I give all the credit to Stevie Y and his olympic snub. Now if we could just a coupla other players on this team snubbed we'd have a real shot at the Cup.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

btw, love that Matt Carkner scored the winning goal in last night's 3 OT win over the Pens. Here's a guy who couldn't even shine Erskine's skates. No team wanted him. He was available to anyone to have. Just a tough defensive AHL dman who wasn't even considered AHL worthy by some teams. Just goes to show that there are a lot of players in the AHL who can probably serve a role in the NHL given the right circumstances. Carkner pulls down a regular shift on defense and he's their resident tough guy enforcer, and he's cheap to boot.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

@soaringcaps

Semin - I thought excellent game on Wed. He created game winning goal, 1 v 3 against Mtl, he created many opportunities. It's not his job to storm the crease, it's his job to get the puck into the crease with good shots and opportunities and this he's been doing for the last 3 games now. Actually, no one on team getting more shots all the way to the net as he is...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | April 23, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse