In the final stretch, Caps have no time for rest

Morning roundup

Some morning links to get the day started:

*Tracee Hamilton on whether the Caps should take it easy with seven games to go:

The injuries, and the rest question, are a real concern in one area: establishing playoff lines. With just seven games to go, Boudreau is running out of opportunities to experiment.
"It sort of messes with it a tad," he said. "Hopefully if we get the last couple games in, or practice, everybody's played with everybody during the course of the season. I'm hoping I'm not putting too much emphasis on it and it will take care of itself."

*Ovie on the Winter Classic | Boudreau, Laich on Laich's return.

*Injury doesn't diminish Laich's gains. (Corey for CSN)

*More practice notes, injury updates. (DC Examiner)

*Dear hockey fans: Please don't ruin a Caps/Pens Winter Classic. (Puck the Media)

*Mike Brophy on Mike Green: "How much of a defensive liability can you really be at plus-33?" (Sportsnet.ca)

*Will voters get on board 'Mike Green for Norris' campaign? (Puck Daddy)

*John Carlson is up, David Steckel is down. (Japers' Rink)

*Weekly snapshot. (Storming the Crease)

*Ted Leonsis on a Caps/Pens Winter Classic: "Chill." (Ted's Take)

*And on the booing Sunday at Verizon Center: "I have no beef with your emails. I have no beef with your comments. I have no beef with your booing." (Ted's Take)

*Caps, fans are off their game. (Homer McFanboy)

*Monday Mailbag. (Rock the Red)

*More record numbers are piling up in Hershey. (On Frozen Blog)

*Weirdness. (The Hockey Chronicles)

*Ovie in Men's Fitness. (Alex Ovetjkin)

*Introducing (Braden) Holtbyisms. (RMNB)

*The DMV guide to booing. (FFODC)

*Caps practice photos from yesterday. (Caps in Pictures)

Tonight's matchup

Ottawa Senators (41-30-5)
Washington Capitals (49-15-11)
Verizon Center, 7 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet HD
Radio: 1500 AM

*Previews from the Ottawa Citizen, Mike Vogel, Peerless, CapsBlog.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  March 30, 2010; 8:42 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alex Ovechkin: Potential Caps/Pens Winter Classic would 'be pretty fun'
Next: Boudreau: 'We have to get back to playing 60-minute hockey'

Comments

How dare Ovi comment about the Winter Classic because it is next season and he should be thinking about the playoffs. Of course if he chooses not to answer the question he is a villian like he was at the Olympics for not talking to the media. Any fan that thinks these playoffs are more important to them than Ovechkin or any other Capitals player is a goof.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 30, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

another meaningless game...

Oh the price we pay for being so much better then the rest of the NHL.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 30, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Lindsay. Missed this article, "Capitals Fans Need a Reality Check," which is very good. http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/capitals-fans-need-a-reality-check.php

Posted by: Sonyask | March 30, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

did it ever go through anyones mind that the boos were for the fact that we were down 4-0, and not directed at the team, the players, or their complete body of work?

Im sure the players were booing inside too because they were down bad...

I didnt boo, but dont really care that anyone did.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 30, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

As far as the booing - Sunday was a weird crowd. Lot of folks there (at least in 412) that clearly don't attend games that often. Their game "etiquette" so to speak was very poor.

Posted by: TrabZ | March 30, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I think tonight would be a good night for Varly to start because it is a meaningless game. I don't know how they would get up for this one. I think we should do what joekk43 suggested and that's take a bunch of penalties so we can practice real game PK situations. That's actually a great idea even though I think he was kidding.

And I don't even mean to sound harsh but the booing thing isn't a big deal. These players have million dollars paychecks, they should be able to handle some booing. I mean, some are acting like the booing is going to affect them or something. If they can't take some booing, then tough luck. And again, not trying to be mean, since I love these players but come on, the booing isn't a big deal, whether it was right or wrong.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 30, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I do not and would not boo my own team. If others choose to, I don't like it, but it is their choice. The Bronx cheer on Varly is pretty messed up.

We are lucky to have a team that competes at this level.

Posted by: _Mark | March 30, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone is whining about Pens-Caps in the Winter Classic, instead its about why the game has to be played in stupid Pittsburgh.

Posted by: rademaar | March 30, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Exactly rademaar. I don't want 65,000 Pens fans. EW. I want the Caps to be in it but in Washington. Is it really that impossible for it to be at Nats Park?

Posted by: rachel216 | March 30, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

What does bring the boos out of me is when the refs don the other teams sweater and the calls are one-sided. That irks me no end.

Posted by: _Mark | March 30, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Rachel et al., here's how I see it.

I believe that booing your team, especially one this good, is pretty classless, as the article points out. I think that's the perspective of NHL fans nearly everywhere except maybe Philadelphia and a few folks here. I was surprised to read you and some other posters here defending the booing Sunday.

In the comments to the NBC article, one person harkens back to the trash thrown on the ice after a game 7 OT loss to Philly, which was a low point in our fans' behavior. That was the most classless crap I've ever witnessed at a hockey game. I realize people were upset at the refs, but it doesn't matter. A lot of fans have a lot to learn.

After the game 7 loss to the Flyers, the trash thrown on the ice and the boos from the crowd, Ovi came out on the ice to try and change the tone -- to thank the fans for their support that year and to let them know that there were good years for us all ahead. It was a grand gesture from a great leader. Last year the fans got it right, standing a cheering for our team as the clock wound down on a hugely disappointing game 7 loss.

In any case, I urge you all to read the article and to think about whether this group of professional atheletes who have worked so hard and given us such amazing entertainment deserve to be booed for having a clunker of a period.

Posted by: Sonyask | March 30, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Ok, now I understand that a FEDEX is a bigger stadium but the layout at Fenway and Wrigley sucked for anyone not sitting down the 1st and 3rd base lines behind the goals. Fans sitting at what would be home plate are sitting further from the rink than someone in a football stadium. If the Caps do get to be in the Winter Classic I will do my best to land some tickets if it is being played in a football stadium, here or Pittsburgh, if in a baseball stadium I will pass for sure. My family in Chicago went to last year's Winter Classic at Wrigley and they said they froze their @$$e$ off and could not even enjoy the game because they were so far away from the action.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 30, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

The biggest issue with having the winter classic here is weather -- if it rains as it does often in the winter here, the game's off.

Posted by: Sonyask | March 30, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Check out this video, Koharski's son following I'm his fathers footsteps.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 30, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

..."I'll root for the Caps when the win and I'll boo when they don't, I am a true and proud bandwagon Caps fan since last year or so. People like you two SUCK!"

Posted by: Crowns | March 29, 2010 1:33 PM

Crowns is putz of the week.

Posted by: MNMNT | March 30, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Who cares about Winter Classic, it's next year. Caps have a pretty big game tonight against a team we are 1-2 against, tonights game is pretty important from a mental aspect if we end up playing Ottawa in the Playoffs... While I know nothing from regular season matters in the playoffs I still think this game is somewhat important for the Caps.. We are also 1-3 against the Devil who we might play in the 2nd round...

Posted by: CapsBaby | March 30, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

How could Heinz Field host a hockey game on Sat. Jan. 1st if the Steelers are in the playoffs and potentially hosting a home game? Am I missing something? Is Heinz field the Baseball stadium?

Posted by: jeets | March 30, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I would rather fans boo then

1) Get up during play
2) Lean forward to the tip of their chair to block the view of the net for the people behind them.
3) Wear a Caps jersey all year until the Penguins show up...

Posted by: SA-Town | March 30, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

@ another meaningless game...

Oh the price we pay for being so much better then the rest of the NHL.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 30, 2010 8:53 AM

I would prefer to say it is a "less meaningfull game for the Washington Capitals"....but I get your drift.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | March 30, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I don't have a problem with booing even though I don't agree with it but I DO have a problem with the whoop, whoop... I have since the mid or late 80's when it started with Larry Murphy

those idiots should be banned from the games FOR LIFE!!!

Posted by: joek443 | March 30, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

No Heinz is the football stadium, I think the pirates play at pnc park?

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 30, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

The only time you should ever boo at a hockey game is when a ref makes a BS call which should always be serenading the refs to "aaaaaaaaaahhhhhzzzzhhhhhhhhhooooooollllleee"

bahaha, hey Crowns are you taking notes here?

Posted by: MNMNT | March 30, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

@Sonyask

Could not agree with you more about the booing issue. Completely wrong IMO. I am just grateful that where we were seated there was no booing. Sometimes I think it's a bit like one person boos and then much of a section follows along. Booing by mass hysteria.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | March 30, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

People are going a little overboard criticizing the booing.

The Caps are entertainers, the fans paid money to see a performance that afternoon. The Caps put forth a lackluster performance in the 1st period and showed little effort. If someone paid $400 for 4 tickets to a game and felt that the performers should have put forth a greater effort then they did then I understand a person booing.

In addition, I think it was a good for the players. Getting spanked for a period and booed showed that they shouldn't get complacent and must continue to put forth a great effort to win games, especially in the playoffs. Maybe the booing helped it stick a little more.

IMO, the lackluster performace was because it was a Sunday afternoon game that was basically meaningless. Most guys on the team are young and probably took advantage of the circumstances and went out late on Saturday night. If I paid to see that game it would bother me some, but it doesn't bother me much and I understand why they would want to go out and have some fun. They lost a regular season game to Calgary, oh well.

Posted by: sgm3 | March 30, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

@joe443

I don't like whooping either. I'm glad that Pothier got very little whooping the last time he was here. He definitely did not deserve any.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | March 30, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

@ Capsyoungguns

was that when he was still with the Caps?

I don't care if they whoop whoop against the opponents but why do that against your own players? idiotic to say the least

Posted by: joek443 | March 30, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3, you captured the sentiment voiced by the booers -- "I paid a lot for these seats and deserve to be entertained" -- but like most things grounded in selfishness I just think it's wrong.

Posted by: Sonyask | March 30, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sonyask | March 30, 2010 10:19 AM

I think it's wrong too.

That's like a dad dropping off an 8 year old kid at a local resort at a snowboard park and the kid just sits in all the landings putting himself in danger. The dad justifies as it "hey I'm paying $ to be here my kid can go where he wants." Yeah act like an idiot and put your kid in danger because you don't know the etiquette and rules. So all the bandwagon fans are kooks and gapers for booing. No one boos a hockey team. The refs? yes. The team, no.

Posted by: MNMNT | March 30, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I agree with SA-Town on the 3 things worse than booing, ESPECIALLY #2!!

Posted by: doughless | March 30, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I don't think it is selfish to expect what is offered to you during a commercial exchange. The Caps offer a performance and it is expected a worker will put forth a good effort.

If you hired a contractor to do work and he was lazy and puts forth no effot I think you would complain.

It was a bad first period and resulted in some minor booing. Booing is the payer's way of showing he was dissatisfied with the performance he got in exchange for his money. The fans didn't heckle anybody or boo incessantly, they booed for a few seconds at the end of a period. It wasn't a reflection on the Caps as a team or their performance that season but it was only towards that periods performance which was undoubtedly poor.

I'm not saying to boo, but I think to criticize people for a little booing at the end of the 1st period is going overboard.

Posted by: sgm3 | March 30, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

This isn't football. Hockey isn't like football. You don't boo after a play that you think is crappy. geezus. why is this even a topic of conversation?

Posted by: MNMNT | March 30, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Backstrom needs a game or 2 off. To me he looks tired.

Posted by: zmega | March 30, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3, I think it's about respect and knowledge of the game.

These professional hockey players have earned our respect for amazing play and an astounding record. Every single hockey team has off periods and off games. That shouldn't diminish our respect for them, and we shouldn't demonstrate our disrespect for them when they do what is normal and expectable.

Posted by: Sonyask | March 30, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I hope BB puts in Theo...We can't risk him losing his confidence! I hope Theo recognizes that Last game was a team failure not just a goalie failure.

I also hope that come playoff time BB doesn't do what he did last season and play the one strike and your out rule with the goalies...It smashes their confidene and probably makes it extra hard for them to focus on the series overall when they are scacred of having an off period.

Posted by: capscoach | March 30, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

The Caps are professionals in the entertainment business. They won't always win, and booing just because they lose is inappropriate. But Sunday was a very unusual situation. In the first period, it wasn't a question of the breaks just not going their way. They flat out were not ready to play and got run over by the Flames. Think of the fan (consumer) who takes his kid to one game a year and that is the game he happens to go to. That fan has a right to expect a professional effort by the Caps. That was not provided. In that limited situation, I think an expression of displeasure was appropriate. That expression of displeasure should be tempered with a recognition that the team has generally provided a strong effort all year. But we all have to be accountable, especially highly paid professionals.

Posted by: zmega | March 30, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Pens sing Letang for 4 years at $3.5 per.

I imagine this signals the end of Gonchar in Pitt.

Posted by: Fro_ | March 30, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

if BB hadn't pulled Theo after one game last year, they would have lost to the Rangers...

you can't worry about hurting anyone's feelings in the playoffs... you gotta do what you gotta do to win and advance

Posted by: joek443 | March 30, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

joek
you have no idea what you're talking about again.

Posted by: MNMNT | March 30, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

If a goalie is more focused on the possibility of getting pulled than the game itself then you are already in a bad situation.

Posted by: sgm3 | March 30, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

LMAO anyone who thinks they would have beaten the Rangers last year with Theo in net is just a moron...

Varly had two shutouts and they still barely beat them in 7... talk about revisionist history

Posted by: joek443 | March 30, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Letang has the same amount of goals as Jeff Schultz, and they call him a 2 way defenseman...

Posted by: SA-Town | March 30, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

have you seen the moves Letang makes in shootouts? the guy is a great offensive talent

Posted by: joek443 | March 30, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

So now bringing a 5 year old kid to a their first Caps game is justification to boo after a bad period. Really? The 5 year old kid doesn't care. They like the spotlights on the ice, the let's go Caps, mite's on ice, Slapshot, now Hat Trick (Slapshot's cousin), Unleash the Fury, and Ovi scoring (which he did). They aren't enjoying the booing of the players they are finally seeing live.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 30, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

"...Think of the fan (consumer) who takes his kid to one game a year and that is the game he happens to go to. That fan has a right to expect a professional effort by the Caps. That was not provided. In that limited situation, I think an expression of displeasure was appropriate. That expression of displeasure should be tempered with a recognition that the team has generally provided a strong effort all year. But we all have to be accountable, especially highly paid professionals."
Posted by: zmega | March 30, 2010 10:57 AM

Bottom line: you have a right to be pissed off but you never boo the team. Dude my friend who's a huge Boston fan left the game at the beginning of the second period after we scored our fifth goal that one game. Did he boo? no. Do I boo when the team comes out flat? no.

Certain etiquette in hockey: are both classy and classless. Chanting azzzhooooole towards the ref is totally acceptable and even more so when the announcers laugh about it on tv. Classy? no. But it's part of hockey. It's been a while since we've had a really bad call that has warranted it..

The booing part? You just do not boo the home team for a crappy period. You root for them. Booing a home team shows that you're an ungrateful kook who makes everyone else looks bad. If you're a NY fan you'll just sit back and complain about how the team always loses leads.

Posted by: MNMNT | March 30, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

@MNMNT

I couldn't disagree with the argument of "that's how it has been so it must remain". There are too many examples of this being to even list.

If you don't want to boo then don't, that is completely fine.

But the booing was about effort and not performance. I don't think you should boo if the team puts forth an incredible effort but fails. But when you pay money and the people you are paying money to don't even try then they should be booed.

The effort put forth in the 1st period was horrible and any paying customer had a right to be upset about that effort. If they wanted to display that distaste by booing so be it. If the players don't want to be booed all they have to do is give a good effort for what they are being paid to do.

These players are being paid a lot of money. I don't think asking for 2 1/2 hours of effort is much to ask for the money they are being paid to give that effort.

Posted by: sgm3 | March 30, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I never post on here but I read this blog pretty much daily because I love everything Caps-related. The booing issue pushed me to say something.

Booing your team is despicable. It is embarrassing to me because as a fan-base we come across as an immature and spoiled group which, imo ruins the reputation we have built for ourselves. As a fan that can remember the time when sitting in a section that is 2/3's Pens and Flyers jerseys (even when we aren’t playing either team) was normal, I am proud that we have come such a long way. Let’s not sully that reputation.

I can completely understand the disappointment when you have spent the money to go to an event that does not play out like you had hoped, however this is not an excuse. This is sports and we are sports fans. You’re team is not going to be perfect in 41 games a season. What makes a sports fan a true fan is someone that supports their team even through the bad. Ok, so you spent a few hundred $’s to go to that game. You took a gamble that we were going to win and win well and it didn’t happen. Boo hoo. I hope none of you boo-birds have ever made a disparaging comment about “Cindy Criesby” when he get’s upset when HIS team doesn’t win or win well… because that would make you a hypocrite. Think about that the next time you decide to boo our Washington Capitals. How do you think a Washington Redskin season ticket holder has felt after waiting years just to get their tickets and then paid exponentially more for them than you paid for your Capitals tickets?

Posted by: dark_dom12 | March 30, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

It's time to put the booing subject to rest. It isn't a big deal. It happens in all sports, who cares? Last night I was watching the Bruins vs. Sabres and the Bruins fans were booing when the Bruins couldn't get anything going during their power play and they booed for the last 2 minutes of the 2nd period. Not to make this a huge deal but sometimes when the Caps have a stinky PP fans boo also. I find that pretty funny. People want satisfaction every minute and if they don't like something they boo. Oh well.

Now onto tonight's game...

Posted by: rachel216 | March 30, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I think there is a notion that in order to be a "real fan" you have to be a mindless homer and accept things you would never tolerate as a consumer anywhere else. A "real fan" blindly cheers for the Redskins and Wizards no matter how long the organizational incompetence and under-performance by the players persist. I hear it all the time on the local sports media.

We are fortunate as Caps fans that we have a highly functional organization and skilled, motivated players. In terms of effort, the one thing I will carry away from this season is Laing laying out to block a shot and having his jaw broken. You think that guy doesn't lay it all out there? But the fact is, the first period Sunday was not a professional effort. I was not one of the boo-birds, and it did not cause me to support the team any less. But I have no problem with people letting the team know that we expect more from them than what they gave in that period. I'd be surprised if anyone on the team would take great offense at the booing, since I doubt that any of them would disagree that they didn't put forth much effort.

Posted by: zmega | March 30, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

when the Caps were down 4-0, children were crying...mass hysteria....I saw one kid try to launch himself over the glass from 422...he couldnt take it anymore...Luckily a Flames fan stopped him and said..."It aint dat bad eh."

Posted by: SA-Town | March 30, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

@zmega

I agree

Posted by: sgm3 | March 30, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

although Theo has been great this year, you have to keep this in mind... the last time a goalie who's about Theo's size led his team to the Cup was 97 when Mike Vernon led the Wings to 16-4 in the playoffs

Posted by: joek443 | March 30, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I honestly think some of fans are more upset about the booing than the actual players. I honestly don't think it affects them one bit. They should be able to take a little booing. Call me heartless but I won't sit here and say you can't boo as a fan.

"I hope none of you boo-birds have ever made a disparaging comment about “Cindy Criesby” when he get’s upset when HIS team doesn’t win or win well… because that would make you a hypocrite."

How?

Posted by: rachel216 | March 30, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

From that Japers' link:

Joe Corvo: Minus-two with two shot-less games and on the ice for four of the seven even-strength goals (and five of ten overall) that the team allowed on the week.

Tom Poti: Continues to struggle in his own end, on the ice for all three power-play goals against (and the Caps' last five allowed) and five of ten goals overall this week, but did break a four-games-with-a-minor-penalty streak on Sunday. Not sure the Poti-Corvo pair is really working out.

Tomas Fleischmann: A couple of plus-one's to start the week, but just one point and three penalties in three games is bad for a guy who doesn't bring a whole lot more than offense to the party.

Matt Bradley: Minus-two against Pittsburgh and hasn't scored a goal in his last 24 games.

David Steckel: The Caps allowed ten goals on the week and Steckel was on the ice for six of them. What's worse is that four of those six came in just 23:29 of even strength ice time. Nice goal against the Flames, though.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 30, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

@ Booing:

In my view, the problem is how to motivate the players to play better when they are not motivated at the beginning of a game ...

... I think, booing wan't do it (or will it?) ... so what can a real Caps fan do?

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | March 30, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao:

Please be a little bit optimistic - all this will change in the next weeks ...

... all of the guys can play ... and better now a little bit cautios or unlucky than in the playoffs ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | March 30, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

"cautious"

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | March 30, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

This booing thing from Sunday won't die. I didn't see many folks booing in my section, BUT I did hear alot of groaning and dissapointment in the Caps effort (or lack of). Let's be honest, one team came to play and one team didn't. Folks can deal with a loss, but lack of effort really doesn't sit well, especially with the ticket/concession prices and also when they know the talent level this Caps team has. Here's hoping tonight they get this thing back on track for the playoff run! I can't take another spring of having my heart torn out in the playoffs. It's like an addiction, I always come back for more heartache decade after decade... Go Caps!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | March 30, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Poti can be faulted 100% for those goals against, from what I've seen Corvo has gotten caught or been a step slow to react - so far anyway. But they might not be the best #2 pairing come playoff-time. And I guess expecting them to point out how much of Semin's production has come when he's paired with Flash would be too much to ask. Flash has better production than Knuble, in significantly fewer minutes. And um, without being on a line with the world's best player.

Posted by: govtimbo | March 30, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Booing the team is wrong...but specifically booing Tom Poti is 100% allowed.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 30, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Letang is getting roughly the same extension (one year longer, but the same money per year) as Seabrook got two years ago coming out of his entry level deal... Not exactly the same type of player, of course, but still, Pens overpaying?.. Or league-wide inflation? And if so, is Sarge going to ask for at least 3M this summer?

Posted by: igor_k17 | March 30, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

For those who were at the game: how many people do you honestly think were booing?

I've been thinking a couple of hundred, no more than that.

Also, for the season ticket holders: how many of the normal faces that you see in your section most games were missing?

For me there were a lot of strangers in regulars seats.

Coincidence?

Posted by: Steve_R | March 30, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

So if you get a crappy meal at a restaurant you have eaten at several times you boo the wait staff and chef? No, you probably don't say anything if you really eat there frequently. Or, even if you mention something you comment on the fact that food wasn't so good today but it normally is very good to the waiter. The alternative is to not go to the restaurant again.

However, just like in a restaurant, you don't have the right to ruin MY experience experience just because you aren't happy. If the Caps didn't provide the entertainment you expected don't come anymore. It's not like you come when they are mediocre and there are plenty of other "fans" that will buy the tickets you purchase once or twice a year while the team is explosive.

YOU is a generic term being used for all of the "fans" that ignored this team before Feb of 2008, and will not be wearing Caps jerseys when the team has down years in the future.

Yes, if you boo your team and you do not watch or go to games when they are not good, you are not a real fan.

Fan is short for fanatic which means you are a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal...

zealhttp://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fanatic

The word in that definition that keeps "real fans" from accepting boos in Sunday's game is UNCRITICAL. That is the difference between a bandwagon fan and a true fanatic of the Capitals. You see the bandwagon fans can take or leave the Caps, they do all the time, the real fans are those of us that were there on Thanksgiving Eve in 2007, Hanlon's last game. Even before the game was a blowout when we chanted let's go Caps we heard our echo from the other side of the empty stadium.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 30, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

You mean the old days when you could put your feet up? I still miss that.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 30, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely. I will be honest though and say that, unless they boo, and scream at Schultz, Green, Ovechkin, Semin, or any other Cap, I do like having a bandwagon fan next to me rather than an opposing fan. Remember, those of you that are mad at me, I am a Capitals fanatic I possess uncritical enthusiasm for my team. If you don't possess that you are just someone who likes to cheer for the Caps. Sorry, I don't make up the definitions, don't shoot the messenger.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 30, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

If having to deal with some newbie fans that are learning the game is the price to pay for a full house every night, so be it. Beats the hell out of getting invaded by fans from every team playing at Verizon, no?

Posted by: Steve_R | March 30, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

@FCKoeln1

I didn't write a word of that. It was taken straight from the Japers' link in the main post.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 30, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

@fanhock1

An attending fan is also a consumer.

This has more to do with effort and not performance. If you pay for something you expect that person you paid to put forth a good effort in providing you what you paid for.

The Caps did not put forth a good effort and got booed. Booing is one way to show your displeaure and is most often used in performances. At a restaurant you may complain to the manager that the food or service was poor.

Posted by: sgm3 | March 30, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@fanhock

Definition:

Fan- An ardent devotee; an enthusiast.

It is derived from fanatic but has a slightly different meaning.

So a Caps fan would be an ardent devotee to the Caps; an enthusiast of the Caps. That does not disallow being critical of the team at certain times.

An analogy can be a family. While there are definitely times when you are critical of one another it doesn't lessen your devotion to them.

Posted by: sgm3 | March 30, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

stop telling people if they're a real fan or a bandwagon fan. You can't tell a person what kind of fan they can be. Stop criticizing bandwagon fans. Welcome all kinds of fans. You sound like such a pompous person.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 30, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1

You seem to have this set belief that you are one of only a few "real fans" around here. I don't know if that's the case but I doubt it from what I've noticed since posting on this one little internet site. The majority of Caps fans don't even bother to come here. It's really only a handful of people.

Anyhow, you didn't have to be at Hanlon's last game to be a "real fan."

I was going to games in the early 80s and my father was going to games from the time that the team was founded.

Should I go around like you constantly do and say stuff like "any of you who weren't at this game or that game in 1981 aren't real fans?"

There are diehard fans who have been following the team longer than you who are cynical in nature. Being optimistic or pessimistic has little to no correlation with how long you've been a fan. Often times, the most old school fans of a team are the most cynical, esp. when it's a franchise that has never won a championship or had a tremendous amount of success.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 30, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I guess to be a fan it means you only can cheer for them, that's it. Once you start criticizing them, you aren't a good fan anymore.

sgm3's got it right.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 30, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I think this idea that your not allowed to be a fan and criticize your team is a straw man. No one has suggested that, have they?

I think the question was whether booing was classless or bush-league, not whether you can criticize your team.

Posted by: Sonyask | March 30, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

sgm3, rachel216, & tmac2yao,

Thank you so much for your posts, I was beginning to think I was the only one who felt this way. Fanohock, please stop trying to define what a real fan is and is not...it really makes you look like a pompous jerk....and yes, before you call me a bandwagon fan....I have been following since the days of Ivan Labre so don't try to go there. And when the team deserves it I am critical of their effort and Sunday's first period was a sorry excuse for effort. And I choose not to boo but if someone else does it makes them no less a fan than you or I....they paid their hard earned money and are entitled to voice their opinion as well......that is one of the reasons we all love living in this country!

Posted by: PhilR | March 30, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I don't think criticizing the team and actually booing at the games are the same thing...

but if you wanna boo, I couldn't care less... just don't be an idiot and start whooping at your own players whenever they touch the puck

Posted by: joek443 | March 30, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

The most effective way to show displeasure as a consumer is to discontinue consumption of the product.

Complaining in a manner such as "booing" does little more than show an immature response. If you want to look at it as simplistic as "consumer goods", booing will not get anything changed. If you want to get something changed but don't want to discontinue consumption of the product, have a discussion with the Manager, as you suggested. I believe his name is McPhee.

This is, however, sports--an area where people, otherwise known as sports fan(atic)s congregate. You get enough sports fan(atic)s and you can create something called "home-field advantage". You build that home-field advantage on a large enough group of people posing as sports fan(atic)s and it can and will come crashing down like a house of cards when those fairweather and bandwagon fans inevitably depart.

They are not real fan(atic)s.

This makes this sound like a huge deal. All I wanted to say was that it upsets me when people claim to be fan(atic)s but boo their team and that "I'm a consumer" is not an excuse. There are many more effective and mature ways to express your consumer displeasure.

Posted by: dark_dom12 | March 30, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

One man's opinion but in my mind the Caps have gone way beyond expectations this year in terms of wins, effort and entertainment. As far as I am concerned that gives them some grace and respect. I wasn't there but had I been I would not have booed them after one (VERY) bad period.

I liken it to a boss. If you are working super hard and getting things done every day and your boss calls you out for the first bad thing you have done in 70 days...that would bug me and I'd be less inclined to go the extra mile for that boss. I'd do it because it is the right thing to do and for myself but the boss would have lost some respect.

Posted by: megatroll1 | March 30, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Have any of you guys thought maybe they did put forth effort in the first period but got outplayed? Two of those goals bounced off of Theo and the third was a sick timing play. The backhand on Varlys first was killer too with a screen in front. Become a fan of the orioles an then talk about having an off night. I've been dealing with 12 or 13 losing seasons now and do you think the thought crossed my mind to boo them? Sure, would I? Never in a million years.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 30, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Freedom of speech -- it's a great thing. People can yell "O" during the anthem; it may be idiotic but I can't stop them. Same with the booing.

Just because there's freedom of speech doesn't mean booing's a good thing, though. I think it's classless and uninformed. Not saying you can't do it.

Posted by: Sonyask | March 30, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I am more than pleased with the product the Caps put on the ice each game.

But the displeasure wasn't towards the product or even the outcome of the game. It was towards the effort put into it by the workers (players). The effort was poor and it is a fans choice if they want to convey their displeaure to the workers they are indirectly paying.

If the effort was great and the outcome was the same I would feel differently, but that wasn't the case on Sunday. Fans/consumers have a right to expect a good effort by the team when paying such prices to see a show.

Posted by: sgm3 | March 30, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Booing your home team is strange, imho.

More Irritating:

I went to the Caps/Pens game on March 24th and sat in front of two women who talked NON-STOP at practically the top of their lungs the entire game. Were they discussing the game in front of them? Heck no! I had to listen to them dissect every person they worked with, every member of their family, etc etc., ad nauseum. Finally, during the last two minutes of overtime, I couldn't take it any more. I turned around and said, "You are TOO LOUD! Finally, they shut up for a brief time, but it didn't last long. I watched the shoot out from near the exit to get away from them. Beats me why anyone would pay premium ticket prices to jabber on loudly during such a fantastic game.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | March 30, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Everyone that expects me to accept booing is being pompous because you are ruining my experience. As someone said earlier, if you are unhappy with the product at a restaurant you talk to management. You don't boo in a restaurant because it is classless. If you have a complaint, email Ted, he's management.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 30, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

well said, you've got it dead on!!
those who claim to have never booed the caps have either not been fans long enough or live in a state of blind-devotion...i'm not sure why some complain that erskine is too slow; that's like complaining steckel doesn't score enough...that said, sunday 1st period was a perfect time for erskine to step-up and show what he can do for a flat team; i can't keep supporting him if he doesn't take advantage of his opportunities (he's played very well recently; but if he doesn't bring intimidation, physicality, and a willingness to engage every night, then he's not doing his job and someone should get his spot)

Posted by: vermontcaps | March 30, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

"Commercial Exchange" blah, blah, "offer a performance", blah, blah, blah.

Yep. Spoken like a #$&%^&* lawyer. Bill Shakespeare was right.

Look, I agree that the Sunday effort against Calgary was perhaps not what it should have been.

But while both may be regarded as "forms of entertainment", there is (to say the least) a big difference between a hockey game and, say, a Broadway play. With the latter, the actors et al. have practised the exact same thing over and over and over again, so that they can do it exactly the same way in front of an audience, every single time. There are very few variables involved.

With a Caps game there are potentially many random elements--that's the very nature not just of hockey, but of sport itself.

To expect that input "A" (e.g., your purchase of a ticket to a Caps game) must always result in outcome "B" (e.g., a Caps win) is pure folly. Indeed, it is Snyder thinking--the kind of thiking that (IMHO) directly resulted in the absolute debacle that has been the last several Redskins seasons.

Even professional athletes are still human beings who have occasional bad days. They should never be punished for being human. Yes, I would rather see (and have been very happy to see for these last two seasons) the Caps win more often than not. Yes, I am disappointed when they lose. But I also know that it is bound to happen from time to time.

Also, look at the general pattern--if this happened a lot, I might be inclined to think something stinks. But it doesn't.

So I will not boo the Caps and neither should anyone else who calls themselves a fan.

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 30, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

It's funny that a team that has given it's fans 27 wins out of 36 games at home isn't good enough. I don't care if you payed $500 a ticket. You took a gamble thinking that "Oh it's just Calgary, we should win easily" People think that just because we have more wins then the team were playing means an automatic win. No team in this league is going to roll over and not play hard just because were the top team in the east. There's a reason every one of these players are in the NHL, they are all good. Any team can beat any team.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 30, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Booing on Sunday was uncalled for and just plain wrong. My God we are first in the entire NHL what more do you want.
At your job are you always "on your game" or do you have off days. How would you like to be boo'ed for one off day?

Now if we get in to the playoffs and start stinking them up and playing bad then maybe just maybe a small short boo maybe in order but until then leave the boos for the Wiz and Skins.

Posted by: jotay131 | March 30, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse