Posted at 10:33 AM ET, 01/24/2011

Boudreau doesn't expect injured Capitals back until after all star break

By Katie Carrera

Both Alexander Semin and Matt Bradley, who have missed the last seven and 13 games with a lower body injury and broken finger, respectively, are taking part in the Capitals' morning skate at KCI but Coach Bruce Boudreau said he doesn't anticipate them returning to the lineup until after the NHL's all star break.

Boudreau said the same of Tom Poti, who skated before the rest of the group, and Michal Neuvirth.

"The all star break, after that is still a week away. They might make a lot of improvement by then," Boudreau said. "I'm thinking sometime after [the all star break], whether it's right after that or a week after that they'll be back."

More to come.

By Katie Carrera  | January 24, 2011; 10:33 AM ET
Categories:  Alexander Semin, Injuries, Matt Bradley, Michal Neuvirth, Tom Poti
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Statistical analysis: Who is the Capitals' shutdown pair?
Next: Capitals seek more than redemption for ugly December loss against Rangers

Comments

Makes sense. It's a good idea to keep them all out through the All-Star break and give them more time to heal.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 24, 2011 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I agree. there's no sense in rushing these guys back. We need everyone fresh for the playoffs.

Posted by: jmurray019 | January 24, 2011 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Holtby gets the nod again tonight in net.

Posted by: ThePat | January 24, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Holtby gets the nod again tonight in net.

Posted by: ThePat

My guess is that barring a horrible outing by Holtby (i.e. the Devils game), Holtby will he the goalie on Wednesday also. It would give Varly more time to rest his muscles.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 24, 2011 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Since it looks like neither would be back tonight anyway and there is only one other game before the break no reason to bring them back early. Atlanta is playing horrible right now and we should be able to beat them without our hurt players.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 10:53 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3

I agree.

Also they are going to have a lot of trouble keeping 3 goalies happy after this season when all 3 deserve to be getting NHL time. It's hard enough to keep 2 guys happy when they both think they are number 1's, hard to imagine what it will be like to have a 3rd in Hershey. My opinion trade one of them.

Posted by: ThePat | January 24, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

@ThePat

I agree that at some point they will need to trade one of them, but I think it is a good idea to wait as long as possible to get a better idea of which goalie is going to be better.

The play of Holtby may also force Varly to take a little less money since he knows Washington could just let him hold out and go with Neuvy and Holtby.

I'm guessing Holtby will be leading the Hershey Bears this year during the Calder playoffs and gets a taste of playoff hockey.

Even though it is only the AHL, Kolzig said it was very important in his development and that he often looked back to how he faced adversity in the Calder Cup playoffs and used that to get himself ready for adversity in the NHL.

Holtby looks to be a very good goaltender too, but like many young goalies he needs to work on his rebound control.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 24, 2011 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I agree. there's no sense in rushing these guys back
----------

esp #3.

Its a sad crime that Poti wears the same # as Scott Stevens.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 11:14 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3

I have no problem playing him in Hershey this year. And people mention his rebound control...yes he is giving up rebounds but for the most part he is putting them out to the corners. So I dont really see much of a problem with it.

Im just more making the point if we were in negotiations with a team on a trade at the deadline and they insisted we include one of the goalies, if its for a good 2C for the next couple of seasons I would not be against the Caps trading one of them. As I think it is a given in the future that one will be dealt, I wouldnt let it hold up a deal at the deadline.

Posted by: ThePat | January 24, 2011 11:15 AM | Report abuse

"And people mention his rebound control...yes he is giving up rebounds but for the most part he is putting them out to the corners. So I dont really see much of a problem with it."

I don't think it is a big problem at all as almost every goalie learns better rebound control with more experience.

--------

Posted by: ThePat

I'm sort of 50/50 on this. Mostly because of the injury problems Neuvy and Varly have faced. It scares me that if the Caps trade Neuvy and Varly hurts his groin, that the Caps would have Holtby in net for the playoffs. Holtby could end up playing great like Varly did two years ago, but I would feel much more comfortable with Varly playing.

However, there is one team that really needs a goaltender and is looking to unload many players on its team. That is Ottawa.

Adding Neuvy in a trade could possibly help land a player like Fisher. Right now I'm 50/50 on it, but I would be tempted to roll the dice on Varly and Holtby and acquire Fisher by using Neuvy as trade bait.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 24, 2011 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't roll the dice with Varly and Holtby in the playoffs as I don't think Holtby is anywhere near ready for an NHL playoff series, and Varly is very injury prone. If he got hurt game 1, I think our season would be over.

We really need a nice win tonight against NYR to not only avenge that MSG Massacre of last month but also b/c I cannot stand Sean Avery and the Rangers.

Posted by: MattBradley10 | January 24, 2011 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Semin is day-2-day...he will probably be out until mid-March.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 24, 2011 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, whats the value of a varly/holtby/neuvirth in a trade. Young, promising goalies with a couple question marks seem to be a dime a dozen in the NHL these days and I just don't see many teams seeking out one of these guys. Perhaps NJ?

Posted by: chatton | January 24, 2011 12:10 PM | Report abuse

@ Semin is day -2 (to) day...he will probably be out until mid-March....????

Are you serious? If so, why practice on January 24??? Heard it's a groin injury ...anyone know?
Also, is his agent talking to GMGM yet?

Posted by: ophelia2 | January 24, 2011 12:16 PM | Report abuse

@ophelia2:

SA-Town uses humor in his posts. Please keep that in mind.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 24, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MattBradley10 | January 24, 2011 11:41 AM |

Amen to that: VENGEANCE IS AT HAND!!! Juice the Fruity Rangers!

As for the All-Galaxy DB Sean Avery, I think he won't be that much of a problem with Erskine and Hendricks (and possibly DJK) in the lineup. Who knows...maybe Stecks can even take care of this (wink, wink/nudge, nudge...)

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 24, 2011 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Awesome...keep going with Holtby...

And yes, I agree with a lot of people on this board...let Holby attempt to take Hershey to the cup in the AHL.

We need a vet goalie to lead us...Neuvirth and Varly are not the answer (yet).

Lastly, Varly maybe the more talented, Neuvirth is more consistent (hmmm, sounds like another Russian we have)...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 24, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

We have shared many opinions and are typically in agreement on many things. Then I was reading back on some posts from the weekend and I saw that you are a Dolphins fan....and it all makes sense now.

Ditto, and totally feel your pain. Personally I blame the season downfall on the NFL Refs stealing the Steelers game from us. It was a train wreck after that. I read somewhere they may try to go after McNabb...I woke up with night terrors all that night, especially when I think about how good Brees woulda looked in teal.

On a Caps note...glad they are resting Semin, but sad I dont get to watch him play. I hope the boys play well tonight because Rags fans are the worst...and you know there will be a good handful there tonight. Here's to hoping for an Ovechtrick...that commercial would be kind of freaky if he somehow ever pulls off one.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | January 24, 2011 12:47 PM | Report abuse

esp #3.

Its a sad crime that Poti wears the same # as Scott Stevens.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 11:14 AM | Report abuse

And the sad, cruel irony is that it'll be Poti's return that causes Erskine, the closest thing to Stevens that we have on the blueline, to be banished for the rest of the year

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 24, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

@SAOTI

I agree on the Steelers game it was highway robbery. However any team lead by Chad Henne is doomed to fail. And the McNabb thing I hope is gone out the window now that they didnt hire Childress as OC. Im really not sure who is worse, Henne or McNabb. And the fact they are set to keep Henne means another long season again, I hope its all just posturing though. We need a QB that can win and isnt scared.

Posted by: ThePat | January 24, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@saoti...please please please let the Dolphins take McNabb...

Posted by: nimrodrsp | January 24, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------

guess that means Hendricks is the Gordie Howe of this team.

Posted by: joek443 | January 24, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------
Erskine? Jon Erskine?

Look, Erskine is having a nice year by his standards, but on almost every other NHL team, Erskine is a 5,6, or 7 DMan. In the 70s or 80s, Erskine might have been considered a good DMan but in today's game, no.

Stevens is a HoFer, he was great on defense and played on the PP. Clearly, Poti's not going to the HoF but he's decent enough for what he is--a puck moving DMan with some offensive skills. He's certainly a better defender than Green.

Posted by: getjiggly1 | January 24, 2011 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Are the Caps going to trade Semin? Finally Ovechkin is buying into the new playoff-style system of crashing the net and getting dirty goals and being more responsible defensively. I don't see Semin stopping the fancy curl drag style of play. Which means another disappearance act in the playoffs.

I hope either Semin changes his style to more team and more crashing the net or we trade him.

Posted by: jmarks09 | January 24, 2011 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Poti and Semin are guys that are just too inconsistent.

Poti is simply injured far too often for him to settle in and establish his game, and this has been a problem the past 2-3 years. He has missed stretches of games several times and at age 33 it appears his body is breaking down.

Semin is just a question mark. No one knows when he will play or for how long. No one knows if he will bring his 'A' game or be an observer on the ice. He had a nice 25 game start to the season and showed a bit more responsibility in the defensive zone than in past years. He also seemed to cut down on third period lazy penalties for hooking and slashing in the offensive zone.

But is that a new Semin or merely a phase for a guy seems to fit in with Ovechkin but not the rest of the team?

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | January 24, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

it makes sense to rest Semin.

I really can't see Washington giving Semin a $40M contract in the offseason, so they need to get him back to health and have him make a nice run toward the trade deadline so the team can get back some help at other spots.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | January 24, 2011 2:21 PM | Report abuse