Posted at 10:44 AM ET, 12/11/2010

Michal Neuvirth first goaltender off the ice

By Katie Carrera

Washington's goaltender rotation continues as Michal Neuvirth was the first off the ice this morning and appears to be getting ready to start against the Colorado Avalanche tonight. He and Semyon Varlamov have alternated starts in each of the past five games.

Marcus Johansson and D.J. King are still out on the ice for extra work with the assistant coaches, so they will likely be the scratches among the forwards tonight.

Of those suffering from the flu yesterday, Nicklas Backstrom, Alexander Semin, John Carlson, Boyd Gordon and Brooks Laich all took part in the skate this morning. Mike Green, who is also under the weather, did not participate which may lead to Brian Fahey getting in his sixth NHL game of the season.

More to come in a bit.

By Katie Carrera  | December 11, 2010; 10:44 AM ET
Categories:  Brian Fahey, Colorado Avalanche, Injuries, Michal Neuvirth, Mike Green, Semyon Varlamov
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps fall 3-2 to Avalanche, suffer fifth straight loss
Next: David Steckel: Caps 'haven't faced adversity like this in a long time'

Comments

Bruce is full of crap. He says people will play based on merit and the top six turn in an awful performance against FLA and none of those guys are sitting. Everything this guy says is lie. I hope we lose few more and they show this guy the door. We need somebody who can get this team to play 60 minutes of hockey at both ends of the ice.

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2 | December 11, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Six players with 24hr flu uh? Interesting...

Posted by: jakopz | December 11, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

quoted for emphasis

Posted by: nickiefan83 | December 11, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

How many chances does Fehr get? When will it be time to let go? He's just not going to be an impact player here.

Posted by: underpants2 | December 11, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

You know what, my last post was too negative. I'll try again.

I can't wait to see Eric Fehr have his usual dominant game tonight!

Posted by: underpants2 | December 11, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you Capshockey2, I don't believe a word out of the guy's mouth. As someone pointed out either a few days ago, if people are now sitting out based on merit, what was the method to determine the scratches before? He says this stuff, and then his star players go out and lay a turd against Florida, and it's still business as usual with BB. And I think he gets a pass from the media because of his regular season record.

When I hear the players stick up for him, I''m not sure I believe them either. I think the players only work as hard as their coach. How can possibly respect him as a coach when they're watching him make a fool of himself on tv?

Posted by: Fletch22 | December 11, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Do you really believe he'd scratch Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin or Green for a home game? Do you really believe Leonsis would let him?
Those are the guys that sell the jersey's and put fans in the seats, not B.Gordon and Henricks. Hockey is a business first.

Posted by: ablake70 | December 11, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

You know what, my last post was too negative. I'll try again.

I can't wait to see Eric Fehr have his usual dominant game tonight!

Posted by: underpants2 | December 11, 2010 11:58 AM

see - kool-aid doesn't taste so bad - does it? :D

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 11, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

King is a healthy scratch??? Wow, what a shocker! Why even have him practice if he is simply going to be window dressing to appease the fans who demanded more toughness? More toughness is needed game in/game out, not every 8 games or so.

F BB and his idiotic ways. He needs to stick to what he knows best, bird calls... I will be watching a game other than the Caps tonight. I am beyond disgusted with what's going on with this organization. I would reference the TEAM, but this is a group made up largely by selfish individualistic players. They will never get past round one with this mentality and the lack of a real coach.

Posted by: FLDave | December 11, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I'd like some clarification on what exactly is meant in these stories by "the flu." That term technically refers to influenza. I seriously doubt that's what the players have. Is it reasonable to assume it's just some sort of bug that something worse than a cold but less severe than a full-bore illness of the sort that would keep you home from work?

Posted by: 1995hoo | December 11, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70

That's exactly what I expect. what do you expect. Our stars practice when they want, don't perform and there's no consequences..... that's what you want and expect? Would I be disappointed if I paid tickets and one of the top guys was sitting...yes. But, if I were a true fan, I'd realize that our coach was trying to send a messsage and live with it. Might be a better game anyways. These guys play half a game and give up.

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2 | December 11, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse