Posted at 1:22 PM ET, 02/10/2011

Mike Green still must undergo testing, but says he 'should be good to go'

By Katie Carrera

Mike Green took part in Capitals' practice this morning except for the lengthy, three-part bag skate at the conclusion of the workout, but the defenseman has not yet undergone the neuropsychological testing that he's been scheduled to take this week.

Green was hit in the head by a slap shot on Feb. 6 against Pittsburgh. Earlier this week, Coach Bruce Boudreau said that the team is being "overly cautious" with the two-time Norris Trophy candidate, who needed stitches and was woozy after being struck by the puck, but that he was not diagnosed with a concussion. According to the Center for Disease Control, a concussion is a blow to the head, which results in symptoms that can include headaches, balance problems and dizziness.

On Tuesday, Boudreau said Green would undergo tests that afternoon, then said that they had been pushed back to the evening of the game against San Jose. Following practice this morning, Green said he will meet with doctors on Friday.

"I haven't taken them yet, I take them tomorrow," Green said when asked how the testing went, adding that he wasn't sure why he hasn't taken it yet. "I don't know. It was good to get a good skate in today and see how I feel. Obviously I'll take it before we go on the trip, but I'm fine; I feel good.

"I feel good today," Green continued. "It's frustrating for me but you have to be safe here and make sure I'm all healed up when I get back. There's no point in me being out there unless I'm at least 80, 90, 100 percent."

Green said that he hasn't experienced any more of the balance problems that occurred immediately after he took the shot to his head.

"The first couple days took some time to come back, but I feel fine now," Green said. "That was the thing, it was more of a balance thing than an actual concussion. I feel good, I should be good to go on Saturday. I knew that I was fine but I couldn't balance or stand on my own, but it was just because of the spot that I got hit."

Said Boudreau: "We're talking about a man's livelihood and his life, and we're not going to take chances with that. If Mike wasn't feeling 100 percent he wouldn't have been out there today. I haven't talked to [head athletic trainer] Greg [Smith] about the tests that he's supposed to be taking but I look at Mike and unless he has tremendous headaches this afternoon, I believe he's fine."

By Katie Carrera  | February 10, 2011; 1:22 PM ET
Categories:  Injuries, Mike Green
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Line change: Thoughts on the Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin line?
Next: Capitals embrace a tough practice

Comments

how refreshing would it be if GMGM would make a statement, any statement, as clear and logical as this:

Said Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile in a release:

"We were seeking a top-six forward and Mike Fisher was the player we set our sights on," Poile said. "He plays playoff-style hockey all season long. He plays on the power play, kills penalties, is strong on draws and can match up against any opposing line."

"Mike's playoff experience will be invaluable to our team and he immediately makes our team stronger and deeper," Poile said.

Posted by: doughless | February 10, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

This is real BIG news about green, considering they don't play till tomorrow..

Geesh...nice reporting? blech!

Posted by: SoaringCaps | February 10, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Lost Fisher - gone to Music City.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 10, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

What are the chances that GMGM does nothing, or brings in a goaltender? Unless you get a player of Mike Fisher's caliber (and how many are there?), there is really no sense making moves like last year for Walker and Corvo types. I think simply obtaining role players just further upsets any team chemistry there is...

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 10, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Well, Doctor Boudreau seems confident that Green doesn't have a concussion. That's good enough for me...

On that note, has Boudreau been a doctor in any of his commercials?

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 10, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Tampa may be in even more trouble then their goalie just beign lit up after being bumped.

According to Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune, Malone is still being evaluated, but he may have a torn abdominal muscle and could miss 6-8 weeks.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 10, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Why would you put him on the ice without passing the test first? Isn't that risking his life?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 10, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Nobody on this team is good enough that they should ever be out there at 80 or 90%....... I fear that we get less than 100% efforts quite regularly so lets not put a guy out there that isn't 100% physically. That has disaster written all over it. If Green thinks he can play at 80% what does that mean? Does he have to reduce the length of his shifts or something? Might as well play Tyler Sloan.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 10, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

McPhee is in his office, door locked, gazing adoringly at his Tom Poti desktop background.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 10, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

pokerface and ThePat...teasing the CI faithful again with their insider mumblings. Grrrrr. I need to start making the people I know inside better friends so I get all the juicy gossip. How about a hint...come on...I'll do the truffle shuffle.

LOL, btw, Im still laughing my a$$ off at the guy a couple threads back that totally missed the sarcasm boat. Im also baffled as to how he couldnt tell. It was more obvious than the sun is bright.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 10, 2011 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Do you guys think that not having Tom Poti on the PK for most of the year has added to the improvement, in addition to the strategic changes and whatever else?

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 10, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@SAOTI

what did I say referencing insider stuff? The last thing I said from talking to anyone is I didnt expect to here anything relating to the Caps until they return from the road trip. Everything else Ive said is just my gut feeling.

and what did Poker say, I missed it.

Posted by: ThePat | February 10, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 10, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Didn't you get the memo?? Playing hurt or otherwise not at 100% is how the team shows others just how tough they are. Don't you remember people arguing on these threads how "toughness" comes in many forms, and that we're one of the toughest teams in the league?

Chimera and Knuble played w/broken faces...why play DJK when those two can show everyone just how tough they are? Poti returns prematurely from his various ailments, proving to all what a tough mf-er he is. I'm sure there are other instances this season when guys played hurt and denied healthy, motivated players a chance to play because that's what the coach expects from his chosen ones.

Suck it up and play tomorrow, Greenie, or else teams might figure out we're not as tough as we think we are. We can't have that perception going into crunch-time, NHLPA polls aside because everyone knows those polls were tainted.

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 10, 2011 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I think BB should shut up when talking about head injuries. He obviously has no idea what he is talking about (i.e. Green didn't have headaches therefore he is fine).

BB needs to shut up and let the doctors handle it. If the doctors give Green the okay, then he can play, if they don't then Green should sit out longer.

The decision of whether to let Green play should be the decision of the doctors, and ideally independent doctors(not paid by the Caps, but by the league), not by the coach.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 10, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse

@tmac4yao: I could see him in one of those white coats wearing one of those things on his heads that doctors wore in the old days.

Yes! He could be diagnosing why your current car is making some kind of noise and he "prescribes" a Mercedes-Benz. I can see him carrying one of those little black bags too.

Or maybe he can diagnose why Ryan Zimmerman has the blues. Better yet, I'd like to see him perform a bunch of tests on the Hadeed guy who was late to the party and find out why he is so bug-eyed.

Posted by: sabredc | February 10, 2011 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Would anyone have traded Kuznetsov for Fisher? The Caps will probably have a higher pick next year, so it's not far-fetched to expect that they could do as well in next year's draft. Also, that is a big salary cap hit for two more years for a guy who is -19, 48% fo, and only 10 assists all year.

Posted by: zmega | February 10, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Prior to the start of their seasons, high school athletes are benchmarked as part of the I.M.P.A.C.T. testing program. In the event of a head injury, the ATC will test the athlete and compare results. This goes on until the athlete is able to match or better their benchmark.

Because of what we now know or have decided to acknowlege about concussions, the care immediately following the injury is most critical. In severe cases, patients are expected to literally rest their bodies and brains -- no strenuous physical or mental activity. I know MG52 got off the ice on his own feet, but he needed assistance. You don't get hit with a puck at a speed like that and expect to be back inside 5 days. His return to the ice will not be his own decision or even BB's. Hopefully the medical team gets in front of this before they are by-passed.

Posted by: ljo211 | February 10, 2011 2:14 PM | Report abuse

A lot of people are saying the Caps are playing tomorrow. Who is that game against again??

Just wondering!!!

Posted by: jwash4472 | February 10, 2011 2:20 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

My apologies, I misinterpreted what you were saying. I thought you were implying you had heard that there was a chance the scenarios you mentioned would happen and that your gut told you they would. I didnt realize you meant all of it was coming from the gut. ;)

I cannot remember the exacts of poker's post...but it gave 3 different possibilities, we with a 40% chance of 1-2 of them happening.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 10, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

It sickens me to read and hear how Boudreau favors some of the Caps. Wasn't it Boudreau who said players will get ice time based on merit and contribution? If this was the case, Ovechkin, Backstrom, and many others should be filling water bottles and washing the jerseys of players like Matt Hendricks, Neuvirth, and Varly.

Nuevirth keeps them in the game against the sharks until late and BB throws him under the bus-NICE!! That's how you instill confidence in your younger players..

Ovechkin goes east and west at the blue line and pulls Chimera offsides 3 X's? I have seen Pee Wees enter the offensive zone better.

How many shots went into the protective netting because the Caps took to long to get them away? Too many to count.

Something is wrong with the Caps and I suspect it is a division in the locker room. How long can Matt Hendricks work his butt off for less than $600K a year and watch Ovechkin and other coaches favorites blow off practices and mail in their effort in games?

Just how bad is Jeff Schultz? Hopefully we don't have to watch this statue for too much longer. Pack his trash and send himm away.

Get rid of Mike Green. Carlson has already proven he can replace him. Maybe BB will go away with him as much as he loves him. One can only wish!

Why is it that the oldest player (Knuble) is the only one who routinely goes to the front of the net? Maybe because he has courage and knows where goals are scored from? Therer is nothing worse than big hockey players not using their size. Read: Steckel, Schultz, Alzner, Sloan, others.

My frustration was summed up adequately by ten Swedish tourists sitting behind me during the Sharks game. Broken english aside, when they said "Caps Sucks", I knew exactly what they meant.

Posted by: SOMDHockeyCoach | February 10, 2011 2:32 PM | Report abuse

@SOTI

Ok, no worries. Ill make sure to be clear and say I heard from person if its something that I think could realistically happen or is in motion.

Posted by: ThePat | February 10, 2011 2:36 PM | Report abuse

@ SOMDHockeyCoach

Becareful, unlike you and I there are way too many Green lovers that post here. I have said all year he should be call tea bag because thats all he does, teabag the blue line.

However your knock on Double Nickles is misplaced. He spends his games covering when Green runs off to be mr offense and is left on his own as D. Also I would like to point out that while Green contiues to fail to keep the puck in the zone, cause he is too busy bagging the blue line, Double Nickles had no problem keeping it in the zone on Tuesday night.

I have said it before I say it again between 3 & 52 we waste 8.75 mil this year

Posted by: bqts | February 10, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

@zmega - I remember when the Caps traded the pick that became Joe Sakic for Dale Hunter. The Hockey News had the Caps projected to take Sakic and they painted him to be quite the skilled player. Many people were happy with Hunter but Sakic won Stanley Cups.

I think Kuznetsov is going to be a top player and more valuable than Fisher within three years. (Not sure what people like about a 2nd line center on a team that misses the playoffs year after year.) We got lucky with that pick and we should thank our lucky stars and hold on. We drafted Kugryshev, Fehr, Pokuluk with picks higher than what we'll have this year...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | February 10, 2011 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Besides a 2C, does anybody think we need anything else? Not that a 2C will be easy to obtain but I think keeping our D and goaltending the same (with Poti as the 7d & hopefully never used), we can be a LEGIT cup contender with the following offensive lines:

Ovi-Backstrom-Fehr
Laich-(Acquired center)-Semin
Chimmy-MJ90-Hendricks
Brads-Stecks-Knuble/Gordon/DJK

I think we can get also use Knuble on the 3rd line but jesus, we need to stop giving that old man so much time on ice. MP85 should be back in Hershey, or better yet traded, because he doesn't have a place on this team.

Any comments or disagreements on this??

Posted by: TimeForACup | February 10, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I stand by my Schultz comments. He was a statistical anomoly last season. His true colors are shing through.

Posted by: SOMDHockeyCoach | February 10, 2011 2:59 PM | Report abuse

@zmega
Fisher is gone to Nashville. we are too late again.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 10, 2011 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Anyone want to buy my season tickets?

Posted by: SOMDHockeyCoach | February 10, 2011 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I guess I wasn't clear. I meant that I would not give up a #1 for Fisher. With a few exceptions (e.g., Baby Gus who really looked like he just doesn't want to play hockey), GMGM has been doing pretty well with high picks lately. If this season tanks, we will want the high picks to re-build.

Posted by: zmega | February 10, 2011 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Anyone want to buy my season tickets?

Posted by: SOMDHockeyCoach | February 10, 2011 3:11 PM

@SOMDHockeyCoach:

Based on your earlier post, You seem to feel that the entire Caps organization (except perhaps one or two players) is worthless, so maybe you'd like to part with those tickets for, say, $20.00...

...for all of your Washington Capitals tickets.
...for the remainder of the regular season.

Seriously, since you feel the team is so worthless, can you really expect anyone else to pay you anywhere near face value for them?

If the team to be worthless, then the tickets must also be worthless, and I'd be doing you favor by cutting your losses.

Repeat: I offer you $20.00 cash money for all the remaining Washington Capitals tickets for the 2010-2011 NHL season that are currently in your possession.

Email me at Rhino401@verizon.net

I mean it.

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 10, 2011 6:56 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40

Great post....and keep us up to date on SOMDHockeyCoach's response to your offer. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of SOMD...I wonder if he really is a hockey coach, or is he just a wannabe? Judging from most of his comments my guess is the latter.

Posted by: RogerNoVa | February 10, 2011 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sgm3
==============
It is typical of coaches to downplay severity of injuries to the media, especially when it concerns their top players (hence use of the ambiguous "upper-body injury" euphamism in place of an actual diagnosis). I'm sure BB will trust the doctors to make the right decision.

Posted by: AmyS1 | February 11, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse