It's Almost That Time

With less than a week to go until the start of rookie camp and only two weeks from the start of main camp, several Caps and prospects are at Kettler this morning for some up-tempo drills and a half-rink scrimmage.

On the ice are Brendan Morrison, Jose Theodore, John Erskine, Brian Pothier, David Steckel, Boyd Gordon and Matt Bradley. Also skating are prospects Joe Finely, Trevor Bruess and Anton Gustafsson, as well as Coach Bruce Boudreau's sons, Ben and Andy, a handful of other locals I do not recognize and everyone's favorite web editor, Brett "Stretch" Leonhardt.

It's the biggest group of Caps at KCI since break down day and a welcome sign that a long summer is just about over.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 1, 2009; 10:35 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Steckel: 'Everything Feels Stronger'
Next: Caps Name Assistant Coach

Comments

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!!!!!!!!!

Ugh, let me be the FIRST to say I cant wait for hockey and its coverage to come back and get baseball of the sceen

Posted by: ThatGuy2 | September 1, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I've been hurting for hockey extra bad this summer. I can't wait to have stats, game recaps, injury news, game previews and all that kind of stuff again!

Posted by: thiazzi | September 1, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Tarik! You're alive! Great to here from you and I hope everyone shines and stays healthy at camp so we can whup up on the B's come October!

Posted by: SmallZ827 | September 1, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Whoops, tried to catch my heinous spelling error but I apparently hit submit too quickly. Great to HEAR from you, Tarik. I am glad you are HERE.

Posted by: SmallZ827 | September 1, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

YESSSSSSSS!!!

Posted by: Rhino40 | September 1, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I just hope none of the other Caps got some stupid tattoos ;)

Posted by: sargeantmofo | September 1, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

ThatGuy2, as someone with season tickets to both the Capitals and the Nationals I find the sports and their calendars to be quite complementary. It's the boringness called football that I wish I could get off the screen.

Did you see the recent Post blog about a study done by former coach George Allen which determined that in a typical three-hour NFL game there is only 12 minutes of actual action? And how many of those 12 minutes are taken up by one group of large men forming a pileup of bodies with another group of large men? As I said, booooooring.

Give me a breakaway OR a double play any day of the week.

Posted by: greggwiggins | September 1, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Keep scoring 50 goals and you can get as many tattoos as you want!

Posted by: SmallZ827 | September 1, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

The early arrivers give an indication of who is really hungry. Despite the less than ideal start to his professional career, you have to give little Gus some credit for his determination to make it in the NHL.

Posted by: zmega | September 1, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

From previous thread:

BTW Directv didn't swing a deal with VS and it is off the air. Hopefully they'll get this resolved because I believe VS has exclusive rights to the Caps opener against the Bruins. If all else fails I will have to go to my in-laws for "dinner" that night because they still use the local cable company that has VS. Why don't I switch many are probably wondering? Because the local cable company got into the same situation with COMCAST over Comcast Sportsnet and the cable company dropped them. Between Directv, my local cable company, and my season tix, I should be able to see every Caps game.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 1, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

O no fanohock that will just never do. I too have Directv and they better get this fixed in less than a month. Gonna give them a ring right now to voice my displeasure!

Posted by: PhilR | September 1, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

fanohock1, I felt bad for you until you said you had season tickets.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 1, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, have you asked Pothier about Kelly's dismissal? Thanks.

Posted by: EmptyMaybe | September 1, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Does this comcast / versus mess effect DISH NETWORK also?? I have directtv and have been looking for reason to switch.

Posted by: maryjane2 | September 1, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

@EmptyMaybe

Is Pothier the NHLPA rep for the Caps? I thought it was Laich.

Posted by: DC_BCF | September 1, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

This is the man who said Semin had better hands than him.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 1, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, has anton sustained a concusion yet this week?? I loved watching GUS senior, but never draft players with injury problems in the first round. He may turn out great but if your going to risk a #1 pick on an injury risk, why couldn't a trade be made to move salary and package the a #1 pick to sweeten a deal.

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | September 1, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Finley is in town, everybody in VA better keep an eye out for random lawn mowers in the streets

Posted by: pkendrick | September 1, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

On the boringness of football - I spend my whole week in meetings and I don't want to spend my time watching a bunch of fat guys in stretchypants have meetings in a stripey field. Life's too short. Of course, some of this may be biased by the fact that Danny boy has not learned the difference between GM and owner like Uncle Ted and remains the WORST. The sad part is he started first and Ted has smoked him.

Posted by: TheCapitalist1 | September 1, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

just about all professional athletes over-estimate their importance but I get the sense that hockey players do more of that than just about all team sport athletes.

the world didn't stop during the lockout, there are plenty of other things to watch besides hockey. I hope they learned their lesson and don't try to restart the war that they already lost.

Posted by: joek443 | September 1, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

"There are plenty of other things to watch besides hockey."????????????????? That is pure blasphemy joek!!

Posted by: PhilR | September 1, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Only one thing left to say ... "UNLEASH THE FURY!!!"

Posted by: dsphvywght | September 1, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, we get it. Every chance you get you put down hockey in favor of other sports/ make an off-minded comment about how it's a "lower" sport.

Shtick has been driven into the ground. Where are Cheef and windjammer at?

Posted by: richmondphil | September 1, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

After Kelly was hired, Lindros stayed on as NHLPA ombudsman for a short time, but he and Kelly did not see eye to eye and Lindros resigned. Former Canadian Autoworkers head Buzz Hargrove replaced Lindros. How Hargrove, a throwback to the dark days of confrontational, sometimes violent labor disputes in Canada, was seen as a suitable personality for this job is mind-boggling.

The outcome of the weekend's events is all in keeping with what appears to be a dangerous return to the Stone Age of labor negotiations that should put fear into all the league's players and its fans.

"Scary days," one prominent player agent told ESPN.com Monday morning.

if these cavemen take charge of the NHLPA, you better look for something else to watch besides hockey.. LOL

Posted by: joek443 | September 1, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

maryjane2: All is well between Dish and VS, the problem is only with directtv

Posted by: mikebrady1 | September 1, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

How come on the Caps website's schedule does some games (like the Sharks, COyotes) not have a tv network named? DOes that mean it's not on tv??

Posted by: rachel216 | September 1, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pkendrick | September 1, 2009 12:26 PM
---------------------
My lawn mower died last week. Maybe Joe can get me a good deal on a new one. Or used...I don't mind a little 'scratched and dented'. :-)

Posted by: tess2201 | September 1, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Mikebrady1: Thanks :)

Posted by: maryjane2 | September 1, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

1) In the Direct TV-vs-Versus fight we're behind Direct TV. Versus is asking for a 20% increase in fees/customer fro Direct TV. With their ratings, that's absurd!
2) Oh, and by the way Versus is owned by one of Direct TV's satellite competitors, Comcast, and supposedly DTV is already paying more for Versus than other service providers. Sounds to us that Comcast(Versus) was itching for this fight!!

Posted by: fauxrumors | September 1, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tess2201 | September 1, 2009 12:56 PM

Just drive around Arlington at night and I am sure you will see a couple just laying in the street.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 1, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

if there's another labor dispute in the NHL - and all signs are pointing that way - you would be lucky to find the games on horse racing network... LOL

Posted by: joek443 | September 1, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

If there is a stoppage in play,the NHL as we know it,will not return. How many struggling markets will lose teams? Will the Caps lose all the goodwill they earned? It scares me to think of what could happen. It would be a disaster.

Posted by: ridgely1 | September 1, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I need new plates, too...

Posted by: Greg S. | September 1, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

1) By the way as a reminder the players have NOT been the ones to initiate any recent work stoppages. Its been the NHL/Gary Bettman.
2) Did the loss of a season gain the goals that we were fed? Are small markets now thriving? Ask the fans in Phoenix, Florida, Atlanta, or Nashville! Have ticket prices fallen? In the prior 3 seasons before the lockout there were 12 different semi finalists. Sounds like we had parity BEFORE the lost season!
3) You see the biggest issue(s) are among the owners with the disparity of revenue streams. When the NHL has real revenue sharing like the NFL we will see real equality and health of small markets. In the mean time the owners use the players as a way to distract from the real problems the league faces
4)There most definitely be more labour strife, but this time the owners will be after eliminating guaranteed contracts!

Posted by: fauxrumors | September 1, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I need new plates, too...

Posted by: Greg S. | September 1, 2009 1:13 PM

Well unless Joe gets his hands on some Corelle plates then you will have to be there to catch them.

Posted by: pkendrick | September 1, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Anything worth driving down from Baltimore to see at Kettler on Sept. 7? It is the first day of rookie camp, but I don't want to drive the kids down there if there isn't anything planned. Maybe we should just go anyway since it is a holiday.

Posted by: lornemyoung | September 1, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I have Comcast cable, so I still get Versus. Any Baltimore-ish folks with DirecTV, let me know, I don't mind folks coming over to watch the game. Just let me know in advance.

Posted by: kittypawz | September 1, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

joek443: Sometimes you come off as a hockey fan and other times you sound totally opposed to it. Due NASCAR is watched by very very few people, it is dying down, kind of the way the WWF did, and it will sink down into the south again within a few years. It was at its peak in the early 2000s. VS picked up some other BS racing, just signed the contract. As far as Indy racing, for those that aren't fans, which is a friggin' lot of us, besides the Indy 500, we have no idea it even exists. There are millions of hockey fans effected by the Directv/VS thing.

No matter how much you try to shove car racing or any kind down non-fans throats we're not going to bite. I don't go to racing boards and try to convince them to turn on a hockey game.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 1, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Besides the NFL, no other leagues do well coming out of stoppages. Baseball took a major hit and in some areas has never fully recovered. The NBA would die, as fast as the NHL. IMO the NFL can probably survive easiest because football fans are still in football overload with all of the College games, and for the most part NFL is just a 1 day of the week thing.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 1, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

If you don't believe me regarding NASCAR JoeK here a July article for you. http://newsok.com/fading-nascar-heads-to-espn/article/3387541 Even if you don't like the author the ratings numbers are provided as an indicator too. Meanwhile, NHL viewing numbers are up, not only in the DC area. With that being said the NHL, players and owners alike, cannot take a step backwards. Yes, the KHL is an option, but when have you ever heard of an NHL player not getting the money agreed upon in a conract? It happens in the KHL (RSL) regulary.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 1, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pstenigma | September 1, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

So when Tarik says the veterans will report on 9/12 and "be available for interviews and pictures" does that mean the fans can show up and get photos taken with players? Just curious if it would be worth my while to drag my kids down to get pics with their favorite Caps!

Posted by: PhilR | September 1, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Hi everyone - need some advice on TV packages -

Do you think it's better to get DirectTV + NHL Center Ice package, or DirectTV with the souped-up sports package that comes with all of the local FSN and Comcast outlets? Or, do you think it's better to get cable + NHL Center Ice package?

Also, do you all know if the NHL Center Ice package comes in HD or standard only?

Thanks!

Posted by: guiliano89 | September 1, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

rachel216 - There were several games last season where Versus (?) had exclusive rights to show the game or some such silliness like that and chose one of the other match-ups on that night, instead. So all the other games going on that night that they had TV rights for weren't shown at all. Maybe this is the same sort of situation?

Posted by: hockeyweasel | September 1, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Give me a breakaway OR a double play any day of the week.

Posted by: greggwiggins | September 1, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I wonder what the corresponding numbers would be for baseball? Probably comparable to football. I like baseball, too, but there's a LOT of time during the game when there isn't much action.

Posted by: rbpalmer | September 1, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

guiliano89 - I am a DirecTV subscriber (but do not get NHL center ice). If you want to see the NHL games center ice is the way to go. If you get the souped up sports package (which i did at first), all you get to see are news broadcasts or local high school team stuff. every time a pro game is on, DirecTV will block it out because they want you to upgrade to the Center Ice package. Its the same with baseball and football as well. All Pro games are blocked.

Posted by: OviFan08 | September 1, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I just switched back to Direct TV 3 weeks ago so I could get CSN+ and now no versus. Augh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Posted by: Capitals8 | September 1, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Directv doesn't black it out. NHL Center Ice has exclusive rights to show games outside your viewing area. That is the same whether you have Directv, or any other carrier.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 1, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

@OvieFan08 It's not actually DirectTV that blacks out those games, its the NHL, they are the ones getting most of the money for the Center Ice Package. Out of market games are always blacked out from regional sports networks in almost all sports, and in market games are blacked out from the center Ice package.

Posted by: doncosmic | September 1, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, I'm peturbed. Why is it STILL "It's almost that time"? I've checked back 4 times today and you still have that up there!

Aren't we there yet? Huh?

Posted by: Greg S. | September 1, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

PhilR - If memory serves me right, the 12th will just sort of be the guys showing up to meet with the coach to make sure everyone is still on one peace. Practice will start the next day. I don't recall if the players made themselves available to the general public after talking to the media though.

Posted by: superpaqman | September 1, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Another work stoppage (strike or lockout) would probably result in more players going to the KHL than before. And, if so, how easy would it be to get some of them to come back? And, how many of them would the KHL let go?

I still hope they can get a settlement before another lockout happens.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 1, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

PhilR - "When Tarik says that the veterans will report on 9/12 and be available for interviews and pictures" I think he is talking about "media day" which is when they take their official team picture, as well as individual pictures and do a bunch of media interviews. I am pretty sure it is closed to the public but you might be able to catch them leaving Kettler when they go to their cars.

Posted by: theresa21 | September 1, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

By the way there are people who are die-hard Redskin fans, as well as Caps fans. I happen to like and follow many sports including professional football(Redskins), college basketball(George Mason), professional hockey(Caps), pro basketball(Mystics and Wizards) and professional tennis. Call me a sports fanatic but I love it!!

Posted by: theresa21 | September 1, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

if there's another work stoppage, the NHL as we know it will be FINISHED. it will be just about as irrelevant as WNBA which by the way is on a real cable network.

as far as NASCAR comparison, it's kinda like the stock market. NASCAR had a real boom in the late 1990's and it's been kinda fading the last couple years. I mostly blame NASCAR for their mismanagement, coming up with this terrible racecar, the COT, the car of tomorrow which is probably the safest racecar on earth but a car that many drivers are still uncomfortable driving after 3 years. so the racing has suffered. the ratings are down but it is still on REAL TV networks, Fox does the first 3rd of the season then TNT does 6 races in the summer and ABC/ESPN does the second half of the season.

But at least NASCAR had a BOOM and went past basketball and baseball and became the number two sport in this country. Hockey on the other hand NEVER had such a boom. Outside a few cities in this country and Canada if it went away and never came back, very few people would care. Y'all may not like it but thst's the TRUTH and deep down you know it is.

Posted by: joek443 | September 1, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Tarik mentioned during the steroid allegations against the Caps that Laich is the Caps NHLPA representative.

Posted by: theresa21 | September 1, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Will there be a group of Caps at KCI tomorrow? If so, does anyone know what at time they'd be there give or take?

Posted by: Ohashikto | September 1, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

NASCAR only had a BOOM for those that care. For the rest of us it was a short term annoyance.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 1, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Also JoeK if you read the article I attached earlier ESPN admits they are getting a failing product. Fox is dropping it to ESPN, they didn't get outbid.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 1, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Yes, finally! I can almost taste it!

Glad to see BMo there and Gus, Jr. I like it when the new guys show that they want to contribute. And no Brent Johnson? Did he finally get off Capital ice and report to Pittsburgh? F-in' Penguin.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | September 1, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | September 1, 2009 6:43 PM |

So what the hell does this have to do with anything? God, you're annoying.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 1, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

JoeK- I'm with Fanhock, I'm pretty over the whole Nascar thing. We get it, nascar is your best passion and that's great but there is ZERO comparison to a car driver and the NHL.

The NHL did have a boom as well and it went away. We are back again and rather than having a spike in ratings we are on a steady increase which I think will be more long term success than short term.

I'm not ripping on you I'm just stating that this is a hockey board (like fanhock already said). I'm sure if you go to a Nascar board you'll get a lot better response.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 1, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

As far as the talk of another work stopage - please stop with this nonsense! Both the players and owners know this would be suicide and most likely the end of the NHL as we know it. I can guarantee you there won't be another work stopage. The KHL is not an attractive option for 75-80% of the players so this is their life and their only option. This will get worked out. Don't forget, the players just voted to extend the contract the way it is so it's not like they're unhappy and can't wait for the contract to expire. They just exercised their option to extend it.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 1, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

@guiliano89

I had Comcast a couple years ago with Center Ice. Comcast limited the Center Ice package to 9 channels. None were in HD. Directv offers almost all games available (sometimes 14 games in 1 day). I would say 80% of the games are available in HD. IMO, choosing Directv over Comcast is a no brainer for the Center Ice package.

Also, Directv customer service is SO MUCH better than Comcast. At Comcast it appears that the ids they hire to be customer service reps have to have a bad attitude, be rude and to place you on hold for a minimum of a couple hours.

Posted by: puckman | September 1, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

@puckman - Last year, Comcast had Center Ice in HD on a few channels, but I am looking into DirecTV anyway... except their website is down! :-(

I want to know where I can pick up Cпорт. That's the Russian "Sport" channel. Does DirecTV carry that one? I have two very keen interests in watching KHL games this season, named Kozlov and Fedorov!

Posted by: irockthered | September 2, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Why are we talking NASCAR at all on here? This is a hockey board, and while a number of us have other passions, trying to drag everyone else into your pet passion is pretty annoying.

Sigh. Is it October yet?

Posted by: kittypawz | September 2, 2009 7:09 AM | Report abuse

First of all, thanks for the info Teresa and Super I appreciate it.

Next, spoke to DirecTv last night and they confirmed that Vs is gone and will remain gone unless Comcast brings the price they are asking down (which they do not foresee). I then called Dish network and they stated they have a long term contract to carry VS, they were also about 25 bucks cheaper a month, carried more HD channels, and you get Encore movie channels as part of your package for free. Needless to say I switched on the spot, it kinda pissed me off as I have been with Directv for 10 years and I find now that I have been severely overpaying and getting less quality. Now I get to see all my Caps games too, even if I do have to put up with Engblom and Jones bashing them.

Thought I would pass this info on to everyone.

Posted by: PhilR | September 2, 2009 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning all, I am not sure if this has been posted but here is an interesting comparison of Ovie and Crosby. http://www.puckprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=255.

one week until training camp arrrrrrggggghh!

Posted by: CapCenterholdover | September 2, 2009 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Thought I would pass this info on to everyone.

Posted by: PhilR | September 2, 2009 7:32 AM |

Man....

My apartment complex has a contract with DirecTV, so we get a free package included in our "rent." Problem is, we can't upgrade the package nor can we get Comcast or Dish Network.

oof.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 2, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Hey all!!! Can't wait for the season to start!! Debating getting an NHL package so I can watch the caps games up here in rags territory....

Posted by: mrszilla | September 2, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

richmond, if your apartment faces the right way, there is nothing preventing you from attaching a dish to your balcony (if you have one) and running aline to your tv. the law allows you to attach a dish (less than 1 meter wide i think) for tv reception. nothing your apartment can do to prevent that. not the most attractive options, i'll admit...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 2, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 2, 2009 8:57 AM |

Don't know where'd I attach it, to be honest. If it was plausible, i'd try it though. Better than having to go to the sports bar/stream games all season. Dish Network is actually pretty cheap, if the commercials aren't lying to me. Maybe recent convert PhilR can fill me in on it. I was going to just get Comcast here, but they don't allow us too.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 2, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Richmondphil, I got two boxes for 52.99 a month, it includes 300 channels including the free movie channels I mentioned earlier, all espn channels including ESPNU, local channels, most are available in HD, also Cinemax free for one year and HBO, Showtime, and TMC free for three months. Free installation as well. I was paying about 85 bucks through Directv for just the basics, no movie channels. I am being installed on Friday so I will let you know how it goes.

Posted by: PhilR | September 2, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

richmond, do you have a metal balcony or some sort of railing? i've seen tons of dish's mounted to them. must be a kit to do this. you need to make sure you have the right exposure though...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 2, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 2, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure that a renter's agreement, at least in Virginia, can prohibit you from attaching a dish to the outside of your apartment. My last place had a clause like that. As long as it doesn't violate FHA, they can ask you to agree to whatever they like. I'd be careful, richmond. You don't want to end up blowing a few hundred dollars only to get hit with a threat of eviction.

Posted by: ModestProposal | September 2, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Almost positive there's some kind of law that mandates anything that can be used for emergency communication is allowed to be installed -- pretty sure that covers TV dishes. My dad used to have giant friggin radio antennas under this rule, much to the dismay of the HOA.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 2, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

As far as programming I highly reccomend Directv. Here's the deal, if you just get Center Ice then you only get to see the game. If you get the sports pack which includes NHL Network and all the Fox channels etc then you can also watch the pre and post game shows. If I remember correctly Comcast doesn't have this option. So long as the game is being broadcast in HD then you will have a HD option as well. I've had this for over 10yrs and Directv really is the best option. If VS. doesn't work out their issue with Directv then I'll probably add the base package with Comcast and add Vs. to it. I'm not missing a whole season of hockey on VS. sorry.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 2, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

@ thiazzi

For the fantasy league, the two people I asked are unable to do it. Just wanted to let you know.

Posted by: ThePat | September 2, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Luongo signed for 12 years at $5.33 per. Front-end loaded I'm sure.

Posted by: Fro_ | September 2, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Thiazzi,
I will be joining the league this evening hopefully. My employer blocks access to all "games" here at work so I forwarded your email to my home computer. Unfortunately my email was down for maintenance at home the last couple days, they said it will be back up today so I will sign up this evening.

Posted by: PhilR | September 2, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

This just in...Caps will now trade Nylander for a bag of hockey pucks and a handful of extra skate laces. Might even throw in a case of Russian Vodka for anyone that will take him off of our hands.!!!

Posted by: capscrew | September 2, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse