It's official: Ovechkin scratched tonight (Updated)

Okay, here's the latest on Alex Ovechkin.

He will miss tonight's game as a "precaution", according to a team spokesman. He suffered a bruised heel yesterday in practice when assistant coach Dean Evason accidentally hit him with a slap shot during a drill.

Ovechkin skated this morning and was hoping to play (and probably would be in the lineup if this were a playoff game) but the injury is extremely painful. The NHL's leading goal scorer is officially listed as day-to-day.

The only other game Ovechkin missed due to injury came in his rookie season (groin). He also missed two games earlier this season to be with an ill grandfather.

One more thing: Tom Poti is in the lineup tonight. But he's not 100-percent recovered from the groin muscle strain that caused him to miss Tuesday's game. So keep an eye on No. 3.

Update:Poti is on the bench, but it doesn't look like he's able to play. Right now, he's turned to the side and is talking to a trainer.

Update:From the pressbox, it appears that Poti has gone to the dressing room. No word from the team on his status.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 5, 2009; 6:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin not warming up
Next: Ovechkin: 'I'm okay'

Comments

goodbye dean.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 5, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Let's go Caps!!

Posted by: jogabonito | March 5, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

haha i was thinkin the same thing...

Posted by: dmwechs1 | March 5, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Dean Evason- evil person. hurting Ovie and Neuvy. It probably wasn't an "accident."

Posted by: rachel216 | March 5, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I can definitely see why Ovechkin is sitting. Washington needs him ready for the playoffs. But why is Poti playing? He's had a bummed groin most of the season, it was warm outside today and the ice at the Verizon Center is horrible. That has groin pull, if not tear, written all over it. Kronwall was sent down, but why didn't he stay up or have someone from Hershey called up as a precaution for Poti? Bad move. I know the defense needs Poti to have any resemblence of stability, but why not sit the guy one more game to make he's available for the final 15 games?

Posted by: dcox50 | March 5, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Evason is an idiot and should be fired!

Posted by: DannyBoy1975 | March 5, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Toronto announcers just said Dean Evason was demoted to Hershey and wouldn't be up again. Blowing smoke? I hadn't heard anything like that. He's a pretty good faceoff coach from what I've seen...

Posted by: Raber | March 5, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

when did Evason hurt Neuvy? I must have missed something.

Posted by: jogabonito | March 5, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Alright Powerplay, there's a penalty the Caps have a unique expertise in calling on the ice.

Posted by: moondue8 | March 5, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Why is Fedorov playing defense?

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | March 5, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Feds came out on D after the faceoff when Poti couldn't play.

Posted by: moondue8 | March 5, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

jogabonito:

In the previous post, Meagle said that Neuvy was working on his lateral movement and he started cheating so Evason blasted him with a slapper. Meagle said it hit Neuvy in the collarbone and took him 10 minutes to regroup. That's what Meagle said. If that is really true, he needs to leave.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 5, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Now we know why Nylander got a jersey and they wouldn't name who was sitting out.

Posted by: Landshark | March 5, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

My guess is that Poti aggravated his groin again? And Feds back on defense? If that's the case, it would really, really piss me off. Groin injuries need to be completely healed before playing.

Posted by: mauree | March 5, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

poti must still be banged up... he isnt out there at all...

Posted by: dmwechs1 | March 5, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Good job Brads!

Posted by: rachel216 | March 5, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

oh thanks for clarifying that rachel.

btw, that fight was a dud.

Posted by: jogabonito | March 5, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

You would think Joe B and Locker would have noticed that Poti hasn't played and Feds is playing defense but I guess that's too much to ask

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | March 5, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

^ haha they just mentioned it. lol

Posted by: jogabonito | March 5, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

c
a
p
s

caps caps caps

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Other guys just have to step up...if we played the Pens tonight I bet he would be playing.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 5, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

LOL

nice shot stecks

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Hi Every one
nice goal leafs

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

i dont understand how or why they just let blake take it through the slot.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

maple leaf just standing in the crease

Posted by: reesem37 | March 5, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

ugh. Come on Caps...

Posted by: rachel216 | March 5, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

It looked like goalie interference. But it's shameful that two players were so free in the crease.

Posted by: mauree | March 5, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

^ we need someone whos not afraid to shove people out of the crease. we just let the other team crash the net, and just stand there and watch

Posted by: jogabonito | March 5, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Hi Every one
nice goal leafs

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 7:28 PM

well now don't you feel like a dumbass.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

no goal

Posted by: reesem37 | March 5, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

you got to be kidding me

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Yay no goal! Good call.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 5, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Heckkk yeaa!

Posted by: jogabonito | March 5, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

my coverage just froze, does anyone else have the same prob?

Posted by: jogabonito | March 5, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

LOL OV has sore feet i hear Could it be from jumping? LOL

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

S'ok SC07...last game of regular season when we had one called back last year for the exact same thing that happened to Huet in Game 7 of 1st round I guess they just figured they owed us this one.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 5, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

lol ladies and gentleman we got a troll on our boards. I can't believe someone would actually come here to cheer against the Caps. Human Nature will never cease to amaze me.

Posted by: mauree | March 5, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Seriously can Greenie act like a defenseman at least once in a while and clear someone out of the crease? I know the goal got overturned but sheeeshhh....Is this guy afraid to hit someone?

Posted by: Capsfan1322 | March 5, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh frick. Stanley cup you have no life at all.

You: it's game time, let me go to Caps insider and bother people. Dude, PLEASE find something productive to do. And it's no goal, you no life idiot.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 5, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

is there no more "in the crease rule". i know they relaxed that from the brett hull days, but mitchell had a foot in the crease before the puck was even there. ah well, justice was served anyway.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 5, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

folks, let's not feed the troll. Let's just skip his non-sense.

Tarik, Katie, you got to work on a filter button.

Posted by: mauree | March 5, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

LOL OV has sore feet i hear Could it be from jumping? LOL

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 7:31 PM

he got it from staal.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

dc the crease rule was taken out years ago

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

how edgy and original and unique.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I see the Caps made some major changes at trade deadline to make a run!!!LOL

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Kind of like the other 5 teams who made no deadline deals to make a run!!!! LOL

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

There are people in this world that I just don't understand, like SC1907. Do you just love being annoying? Is it your life quest to annoy people? I'm so glad I don't know you, you're like that little pest that nobody likes. I bet you were picked on as a little kid. Okay, no more talking to this loser. Sorry guys for "feeding the troll."

Posted by: rachel216 | March 5, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

tsk tsk you should know better rachel, trolls feed even on insults... especially on insults.

Posted by: mauree | March 5, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

rachel please dont get personal I come here to talk hockey

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

dc the crease rule was taken out years ago

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 7:33 PM

so a player can stand in the crease w/out the puck? doesnt sound right.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 5, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

sc1907, please don't get edgy and witty I come here to talk hockey.

Malkin celebrated on his knees, he must be used to that!

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

rachel dont you remember me???? We went to different schools together!!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

sc1907, dont you remember me? I used to beat you up and take your lunch money!!!!!!

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Yes he can stand in the cease as long as he doesnt touch the tender and if he is pushed into the goal he has to make a effort to avoid the goaltender

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

rachel please dont get personal I come here to talk hockey

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 7:39 PM

No, you come here to say things like "i hear Ovie has sore feet from jumping so high. LOL!" and "i bet Jose's neck is burnt from the red light." Can you answer a question for me? Tell me why you are here cause you're obviously not a Caps fan.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 5, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

rachel, please dont personal, i simply come here to discuss hockey.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil: lol! you're funny. ;)

Posted by: rachel216 | March 5, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I am here to make sure Semin plays

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I am here to make sure Semin plays. With my magical powers i possess which allows hockey players from around the globe to grab hold of my intense troll energy transmitted through my laptop, that my mom bought me.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

but when i here and hear you talk about Grapes I have to defend him

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

GMGM is the most boring person on the planet

Posted by: adamtomg | March 5, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

What's the deal with Alzner? Why has he been in Hershey for so long??

Posted by: adamkatzen | March 5, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Why do you care about Semin?

Posted by: _828 | March 5, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

definition of monotone- anytime GMGM opens his soup-cooler

Posted by: adamtomg | March 5, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Flyers getting hammered by the Flames 4-0 after one.

Posted by: MReilly9 | March 5, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

by the way nice move by Downie
20 games he should get a year

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Cherry is old - he means nothing... he is just a clown.

Posted by: _828 | March 5, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

but when i here and hear you talk about Grapes, the joke of hockey for the past 15 years, I have to defend him

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Chemistry, chemistry, chemistry.
This perios has been a perfect example of what happens when there is not chemestry among the linemates, and maybe why Nyls has not been effective. BB has put in new lines and it shows.

Posted by: opita1 | March 5, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

by the way nice move by Crosby, with the dick punch from behind
20 games he should get a year

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

I was at that game when Downie hit the ref.

Posted by: _828 | March 5, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

talking like yoda= increases troll power.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

JT is going to have to have a HUGE game, as I don't see us scoring more then 2 goals tonight.

Posted by: adamkatzen | March 5, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

ricmond try using you own lines I have copy right on my stuff

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Rachel - No worries, my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator will take care of SC1907.

Posted by: CommanderX-2 | March 5, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

sc1907, try typing coherently, I have my stuff copy righted.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

ricmond try using you own lines I have Sidney Crosby on my stuff

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 5, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Write when you find work, Dean.

Posted by: dingogumby | March 5, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Calgary fired up by yesterday's trades?

I don't understand why Poti was in the lineup. You don't play while nursing a groin injury. Now we have to play depleted. Come on, wake up.

Posted by: mauree | March 5, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

marvin the martian posts here?

i am in celebrity shock.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Kaboom, there shold have been a big kaboom!

Posted by: CommanderX-2 | March 5, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I must say that I am a little irritated with the Mr. Poti situation. I guess it is possible that his groin was fine and then got hurt in warm-up or when he skated out on the ice (did a Mite trip him)? But if he was at all questionable it would have been nice to have been able to call up someone today and not have to screw up our lines even more than they already were without Ovi.

Posted by: Kim-3 | March 5, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

SC: Of course you have to defend Cherry, he is just like you. hehe :)

Posted by: rachel216 | March 5, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

getting under your skin may not be right ........but it's so DARN EASY :)

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Kaboom, there shold have been a big kaboom!

Posted by: CommanderX-2 | March 5, 2009 7:55 PM

I love you man. Just like mike green, if i was gay, id totally let you hit it.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Been followig the Caps for years...looking for "puckdodgers" here

Posted by: CommanderX-2 | March 5, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Semin doesn't play...wouldn't expect too much there. Excluding Kariya's epic 11 game season Semin is only 2nd in points per game. That's just not the type of night in and night out effort we need to see if he's going to contribute on this team. Him 2nd and Ovie 3rd is just not good enough. We'll never compete deep in the playoffs with those too playing like random jobbers. They need more 2nd assists to really make an impact.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 5, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

posting on my moms laptop is not right..BUT SHE IS JUST TOO DAMN EASY

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Cool, CommanderX-2! lol! :)

Posted by: rachel216 | March 5, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

I suspect SC1907 is one.

Posted by: CommanderX-2 | March 5, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Btw Philly is looking great after "getting better" at the deadline. Down 4-0 Calgary showing everyone which was the team that actually got better on deadline day. I guess Philly just needs more grit and toughness.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 5, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

nice PK and save Gerber

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Finger needs to get tougher. Not enough grit and heart there.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 5, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

well dave they do have nittymaki.

streakiest goalie in the NHL.

and flames are hot.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

ouch that looked painful!

Posted by: jogabonito | March 5, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

nice PP and saves Theo

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

tough???...finger leads the leafs in blocked shots

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Look who scored Calgary's goals.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 5, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Guess he needs to learn to block them a little better for a little dump in hitting him in the face to send him off. Not enough grit.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 5, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

they should seriously clean up the blood off the ice.

Posted by: jogabonito | March 5, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

tough???...finger leads the leafs in worst contract ever

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

philly will probably make some kind of crazy comeback, they seem to do that alot

Posted by: jogabonito | March 5, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Bradley's hockey stick needs more grit.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 5, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

An article about our dear friend SC07. Such lovely people.

Posted by: moondue8 | March 5, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

well you guys lost 2 goals on broken sticks

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

SC: hey, you don't get under my skin, I just laugh at people like you cause you you have nothing better to do than annoy other people and make nerdy jokes.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 5, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

BB sucks...only .087 win % higher than #2 coach in team history. More grit is needed.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 5, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

richmond, rachel, would you please stop talking to him? Shees!

Posted by: mauree | March 5, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

The Caps have showed up tonight for the first time in three games, that is a very good sign!

Posted by: MReilly9 | March 5, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

well toronto lost a goal for running into theo

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

If you have grit phil, they won't make that call.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 5, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

wow great save

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

what is up with Gerber? he's been seriously good this game.. ughh

Posted by: jogabonito | March 5, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

mauree, we should continue to let him enlighten us.

dave, i thought grit was the stuff you eat for breakfast?

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

© ricmond try using you own lines I have copy right on my stuff
sorry - my copyright now

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 5, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

mauree ...they are just being social butterflies

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

No Phil..."grit" is what lets a team dominate you in the playoffs to squeak by on a power play goal in OT of game 7. You just can't compete with grit let alone win a game against a team full of grit. Detroit's 4 Cups in the last 11 years only goes to demonstrate the point that they are the grittiest team in the NHL.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 5, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Alright Caps, I appreciate you waited til I got home from class to start kicking the Leafs collective behinds, but get your butts in gear!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 5, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

new post!

Posted by: rachel216 | March 5, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

bbl

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 5, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

UP ALONG THE COAST of the Lake Of The Woods in northwestern Ontario lies the port town of Kenora, home of the 1907 Stanley Cup Champion Kenora Thistles.

The Thistles were very much a product of their times. Before there was a united professional league, amateur senior leagues reigned supreme in both popularity and talent. Any town with a few good skaters could form a squad and try their luck against other nearby towns.

Kenora (or Rat Portage as it was known until 1905) was one of just many Canadian midwestern boom towns that, after a hardworking summer season, felt the desire for an off-season past-time. That past-time was ice hockey, played on many of the thousands of frozen lakes that speckled the Canadian winter countryside.

Within a few years, the Thistles had assembled an awesome roster, boasting some of the greatest players of the game. Though their Stanley Cup stewardship was short, only two months, the Kenora Thistles' influence remaines undiminished, indelibly imprinted upon the formative pages of the National Hockey League. To this day their story remains an inextinguishable source of simple, old-time hockey idealism in this modern age of corporate-sponsored marketing, cynicism and greed.

And now, without any further ado, here are your 1907 Stanley Cup Champions, the Kenora Thistles!!!

Posted by: richmondphil | March 5, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Can somebody please take the "suck" out of the Maple Leafs? They're messing up the flow of our game.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 5, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Mreilly9,
I think the Caps have more legs tonight, but they are not playing well as a team. I think that is because of the new line combos.

Posted by: opita1 | March 5, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

nice save by theo

Posted by: jogabonito | March 5, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

StanleyCup1907: Be back NEVER AGAIN! That's right, leave!

Posted by: rachel216 | March 5, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

@StanleyCup1907:

Does your stupidity translate in real people time? Or just here, where you can hide? Just wondering.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 5, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

At least Semin gets 2 min of rest

Posted by: fnralch | March 5, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

WHAT DID I SAY??

I was right...you all doubt me

Posted by: DCSPORTS | March 6, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse