Jagr 'Likely" Off Caps' Books

Assuming, of course, Jaromir Jagr doesn't win the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP, which seems highly unlikely since the Rangers are no longer in the playoffs.

From owner Ted Leonsis's blog:

Yes, we are now most likely off the hook on the Jagr payments to the New York Rangers as I doubt he will be named MVP of the NHL playoffs now. I believe Jaromir Jagr is now an unrestricted free agent as his contract has ended. It is amazing how time flies - seven years - when you are having fun.

That means Leonsis won't have to make another $3.46 million payment since Jagr failed to trigger the option year on his contract. Instead, that money will go toward covering the huge raises owed to Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin, Chris Clark and (presumably) Mike Green.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 5, 2008; 3:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eighth Longest Game Ever
Next: It's Washington Capitals Day

Comments

Posted by: Husky Hockey | May 5, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness...I don't know how Ted could stomach paying all that money to a quitter all these years.

Posted by: Bash'EmBrashear | May 5, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

This might be blasphemy, but Jagr impressed me in Games 3 and 4 of that series. Too bad he didn't play like that as a Cap.

Posted by: Matt | May 5, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

The Gambler could have really used that extra coin, now big Ted will need another reason to throw the money away, certainly the Midget will facilitate.
Remind me what did Pothier, Nylander, Poti, Clark etc... contribute ??
Not mentioning Clymer, maybe the highest paid AHL player.

Posted by: Chief | May 5, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see Mike Green's sweet goal at the World's on Sportscenter?

Posted by: Alberto | May 5, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Chief,

If lightning strikes and the Caps win a cup down the road, are you going to start complaining that it took too long: "with the most 1st round picks of any team since 2000, they should have won years ago. Ted is a moron for hiring the Midget. A real GM would have won it in 2008". Blah, Blah, Blah.

Posted by: Steve R | May 5, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Jordan,

From previous thread: If all the teams you are rooting for have lost then please start rooting for the Pens.

Really don't want them to win the Cup and its hard to pick a team now as I don't like any that are left. Maybe should pick the Flyers to win it all because then we could say we were put out by the eventual Stanley Cup Winners.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | May 5, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

yeah, GMGM should have known nylander, clark and pothier were going to get hurt this year. speaking of clark, what a real disaster that guys been. 50 goals in two full seasons and all for just a conditional draft pick. boy, GMGM didnt get any value for that. and lets talk about his lame leadership skills.

hey chief, why don't you tell us who's going to get hurt next year so we can all be prepared. such a genius.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | May 5, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

ps. that was a 7th rounder for clark.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | May 5, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Boo, from the previous thread, I will probably pull for detroit. Orginial 6. But if dallas wins, i pulls for them. I cannot, under ANY circumstance, pull for Pittsburgh, and don't think Philly deserves to be there.

As for Chief, he again spouts off with no FACTS. But let him spew. Steve R., he goes away when the caps do well, so when the win the Cup, he won't comment until the offseason when GMGM signs a Free Agent. Then he can moan again. Unless Chief is working for NBC as Crosby's personal fluffer by then!

Posted by: Leeguru | May 5, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

We shouldn't be hearing much from Chief then for at least the next 13 years then.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | May 5, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double "then"

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | May 5, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Philly doesnt deserve to be there....because?

Because they beat us?

Didnt they just manhandle the #1 seed?

Posted by: tables | May 5, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Tables, I think they are not the most talented team, and are taking advantage of questionable officiating while also stretching the rules. Might be sour grapes on my part, but they did the same to the Habs. I just think they are being rewarded with the excuse "It's the playoffs!" Teams that are free flowing and creative, like the Caps, Habs, etc, get punished because they try and play the same hockey in the post season that they play in the regular season.

Posted by: Leeguru | May 5, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I dont know what series you watched but it seemed to me that mtl had the lions share of pp time in that series.

They play a physical game. Thats what hockey is. If an organization puts together a team, knowing that things get tighter in the playoffs, and that team is all about finesse, they get burned and there is nobody to blame but themselves.

If you want to see end to end rushes and dipsy doodle toe drags all season and playoffs, then go watch the russian super league.

Philly beat us, they beat the habs, they are in the conference finals. They have been the most opportunistic team in the playoffs so far, hence, they deserve to be there.

Posted by: tables | May 5, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm so glad we have dropped Jagr like a bad habit.

It's time to start throwing some $$$ at Green and Huet. Start writing checks, GMGM.

Posted by: Danny | May 5, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I say we use Jagrs $$$ and throw it at Fab Brunstrom of Sweden! the mysterious #1 seek out player from Europe this off-season Him Nylander and Backstrom makes me go giddy! might as well call us the Russian/Sweden Capitals!

Posted by: Zack Attack | May 5, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

That 3.46 million is a lot - should be almost enough to cover Green's raise!

Chief,
McPhee is a good GM, and has done an especially good job with the whole building from scratch thing. And just for the record, Pothier was a productive top four defender, Nylander was leading the team in powerplay points when he was hurt, playing with one shoulder, and mentoring Backstrom. Poti was the most consistent defenseman, especially in his own end, all year and Clark is the captain.

Posted by: dmg | May 5, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

@Lee
Dude did you watch the series? Yes there were a couple of unseen episodes but nothing malicious or game-deciding. The Flyers outplayed the #1 team in every game. Now, don't go calling me a Philly fan (ok Boo! ? :D ) but the fact is, they're playing fantastic hockey.

The bitterness of the loss faded away, since the prospect of a bright new season is exciting with all our talent.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying the playoffs... am I not a Caps fan since I'm looking forward to PIT-PHI? These are two fantastic teams. Same as DAL-DET.

Posted by: mauree | May 5, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Mauree, I admit I only watched bits and pieces of the Habs/philly series. And as a hockey fan, I am looking forward to the conference finals. But I was asked who I was pulling for to win the cub, andI will probably choose a western team!

Posted by: Leeguru | May 5, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Cup, not cub

Posted by: Leeguru | May 5, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm pulling Western Conference. BTW - after watching the last two games of the Pens series, I've yet to be wowed by Crosby. He's missing wide open nets and just seems to not have the toughness to stand in there and get his job done.

I think the way Ted puts that is hilarious. "Yes, we are now most likely off the hook on the Jagr payments to the New York Rangers as I doubt he will be named MVP of the NHL playoffs now." nearly made me fall out of my chair.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | May 5, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

@Lee

Well I'm not pulling for either the PIT or PHI for the Cup, that's for darn sure :D

I just disagree on what you said about them being favored against the Habs and not deserving.

Posted by: mauree | May 5, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I hope Pens kick the sh** out of the Flyers.

As much as I hate that little pansy chicken-voice Crosby, I hate those Philly punks that eliminated the Caps even more.

Go Pens! (Then go Red Wings or Stars!)

Posted by: Danny | May 5, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

im going for philly

and i hope they win the cup

then getting ousted in the 1st round by them hurts less

Then we can say..yeah but they won the cup

Posted by: tables | May 5, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

the philly/pitt series is going to be brutal

probably one of the toughest and hardest hitting of the playoffs

i keep thinking back to that game on versus when philly beat pitt 8-2 and the crowd was doing the crosby sucks chant. I wonder how hard sidney lougainis is going to cry.

Posted by: tables | May 5, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Red Wings are going to be choke artists again

Id be surprised of the philly/pitt series goes less than 7 games

Posted by: Tommmy | May 5, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Maybe "Chief" is a clever ruse to rally potential detractors to McPhee's defense. Unite the masses with a common enemy ;D
p.s. Japer's Rink has the Green goal: http://japersrink.blogspot.com/2008/05/green-scores-beauty-in-canadian-romp.html

Posted by: honed | May 5, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Matt:
Yes it is ...

Dave:
Bite your tongue!

Leeguru:
I agree with your logic - guess that's why you're the guru! ;-) And while Texas and hockey are a contradiction in terms (BTW, how could anyone move a hockey team from MN to TX?!?), I would also cheer for Dallas over either PA team. It will be so nice when we don't have this problem next year!! :-) RE: Chief, did you see my post about Phil Sheridan? I thought his comments were interesting ...

Steve/Lee/CT:
Do you think Chief and Puckguru are the same person?

Posted by: Boo! | May 5, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

@tables
the game yesterday was really tough too. The second period the refs kind of put the whistles away and it was a show of massacre, speed and skill.

If goaltending wins games, look for DAL-PHI. Turco and Biron are incredible right now.

Posted by: mauree | May 5, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Boo,

Chief and Puckguru are different people, but i think someoneelsewhoknows is also Chief.

Posted by: Leeguru | May 5, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

mauree:
Have you been hanging out with Philly Jeff again?!? ;-) I'm sorry, but after our series, I am still anti-Flyers. Call me bitter if you must, but I thought they were dirty (and the Briere is the dirtiest of them all). I believe in fair play. If you can't win by simply playing well and you have to resort to dirty play, then you don't deserve to progress. Not to beat the bad officiating drum, but man the Flyers sure did luck out against the Caps. I have not watched enough since then to say the same, but in the little that I have seen, they have been up to their old tricks. Flippin' Flyers.

Posted by: Boo! | May 5, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
I thought that too, but after their posts on the previous thread, I am not so sure. Chief + Puckguru + SEWK + Wendel = ?!?

Posted by: Boo! | May 5, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Boo alwyas defends me! :D

Posted by: Leeguru | May 5, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Seeing as we may well have won save for a horrid non-call on goaltender interference that allowed a sketchy goal, I think its a bit of vindication that the Flyers have gone on. All in all I think it's likely best for the Caps that Nylander gets extra time to heal not to mention the rest of our banged up crew. I think the experience was great and that things all point in the right direction for the future. I also do not think the Flyers were exceptionally dirty in their series with us - now the refs... When I saw the games notes that morning and saw Don Koharsky, I knew it was over...

I'm not sure who I'm gonna pull for in the Keystone State Cup tourney, but this is gonna be a great series... Been a Malkin fan since the last Olympics and I'm a fan of the Flyers aggressive explosive style... we'll see. And just because I'm an Ovechkin fan, doesn't mean I have to hate Crosby. He is awesome and has earned his rep. These are the new 'good old days' for hockey.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | May 5, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
That's because you are always right! :-) I mean, if you think like me, you must be!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | May 5, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!

lol nah I won't call you "bitter", I totally understand :D

Posted by: mauree | May 5, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Mauree:
Well that's good, cuz I feel bitter!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | May 5, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

And I hold grudges...

Posted by: Leeguru | May 5, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

So if Jagr is a UFA, do you think he will come back? (HA!)

Posted by: Boo! | May 5, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

We should all send a big gift to Malkin for getting rid of Jagr. If they had kept going, I could totally see Jagr winning the Conn Smythe if they made the finals. He's been playing well.

Let's be fair, we hate him becuase he was so completely awful as a Cap. I mean absolutely terrible. We even picked up the required other Czechs for him to play with (can't believe we didn't end up with Straka...) an he still sucked. If he had gone to NY and been terrible then we would have let it go. But noooooooo, he goes there and becomes the Jagr we wanted. I hope he goes to Russia. Then, I won't have to think about how much I hate him.

Posted by: old time hockey | May 5, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Do I get extra points in the fantasy league for that goal by Green? Jeeeez!

Posted by: Jordan | May 5, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

@ mauree

Yeah, I dont know if anyone else has been watching but Biron has been spectacular.

Of all the goals scored against him in the Habs series, I think maybe 2 he should have stopped.

Fluery has been good but hasnt been tested to the way Turco and Biron have been.

I think you might be right..that is if goaltending holds up

Posted by: tables | May 5, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

@Chief
"Remind me what did Pothier, Nylander, Poti, Clark etc... contribute ??"

Poti made key defense plays to stop breakaways, Nylander was second on the team in goals before he got injured, Clark had 30 goals last year, Pothier was solid as a defenseman.

Posted by: Joe | May 5, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I so happy but I feel like caps fans are making the same mistake this off season since we were somewhat successful; saying we need to keep HUET at any cost. No. don't overspend for older players and give them long term deals(except ovie). HUET is no marty,mika,turco,etc. He's a good goalie not great and no need to pay him elite status money. Take emory for example. Dont sacrifice financial flexibility in the salary cap era.It can screw up an organization(jagr,lang signings etc). Dont over pay for talent just cause demand is high. HUET career # aren't that great.

Posted by: smartfan | May 5, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I just received the autographed Olie Kolzig jersey that I won a couple months ago!

And now I'm sad.

Posted by: Jordan | May 5, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I agree with all the good signing GMGM did this year if they stayed healthy this team would be even greater. Clark when healthy has had great #'s, same with nylander. His loose hurt the PP. He could just stick handle the puck into the zone and move the puck well. Pothier is solid but got hurt. You can't plan injuries. You spread out your money to as many players as you can rather just pay 2 or 3 people a bunch. Look at Tampa; all there money went to 3 players and know they want more average players for less

GMGM rocks.

Posted by: smartfan | May 5, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I think that Mike Green is one of the happiest men on earth right now. He scores a highlight reel goal and the Caps just got a few more million to spend (thanks to the Rangers collectively sticking their sticks down their throats). I know the Pens are good, but really did expect the Rangers to put up a little more of a fight. However, I think all of you know that I love Mike Green. If the Pens advancing gives Ted more $$$$ to throw Mike Green's way then I am okay. But the Flyers better destroy the birds in five. Oh, please let someone in the West dominate the Conference finals and blow away whichever team from the East advances.

I also think it is known that I love playoff hockey. One of the first Caps games I watched was the dreaded Caps/Isles playoff marathon. Was so much fun to watch two other teams play all of that amazing hockey.

Already counting down the days until July. Sure hope the end of June early July brings us news of Mike Green signing, Brooks, Mo, and Huet signing, Bradley signing, and Fedorov deciding to hang around one more year. I am beginning to love Matt Bradley almost as much as Mike Green. Not sure why, just something about him that makes me want to see him in a Caps sweater for a couple more years at least.

Posted by: Kim | May 5, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

As far as the flyers pens series goes dont really care who wins. Sid being there is good for the league. But if the flyers play like the bullies that they did against us(they love playing rough taking penalties) the pen PP will kill them. The flyer D can only cover people by taking penalties. The caps didn't score that much on the PP and the HABS PP was horrible. Pens seem to score every time on the PP or at least keep it in the zone for a long time.Sid didnt even have to play in the rangers series and they would have killed them.Hate the pens but they are solid this year. Biron has been lucky. He is shaky once a goal gets by him. Look at him in the caps series.

Posted by: smartfan | May 5, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately I think @smartfan is spot on about the Flyers and Pens PP. How many games are Devorski and Koharski officiating in that series???? Does anyone really think that the Flyers are going to get away with the same kind of play they have against the Caps and Habs when they play against the Pittsburgh Sidneys?

But, I would actually pay for a seat in Philly and cheer the loudest in the arena to see Mr. Malkin check Briere (legally mind you) into the glass.

Posted by: Kim | May 5, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

@smartfan

The Flyers are not the same team that played against the Caps. They learned & improved. Although I agree that the Pens are very strong.

Shees I begin to feel like an outsider now, since I don't feel hostile to Philly anymore and just want to watch the playoffs.

Posted by: mauree | May 5, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

@ smartfan
I disagree with you on Huet. No we don't need to pay him like the #1 goalie in the NHL, but we need to do something, and he is likely our best option. We have salary cap flexibility, so use it. Don't sign some average joe like Emery. At that point, you might as well keep Kolzig. Remember Varlamov and Neuvirth are still young (both 19?) and to gamble that they will be NHL ready in the next year or two is foolish.

Posted by: reekie | May 5, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Just a general reply:

1) Props to the Flyers for their well-earned trip to the ECF.
2)Pens did what they had to do to get past the Rangers.
3)The caps are actually a pretty physical team. They are not as soft as the Canadiens especially at forward. Caps are one of the biggest teams in the NHL and at times were more physical than the flyers
4)The caps have holes to fill. They need to get a rugged defenseman.
5)The caps played well enough to advance, but just could not finish in the 3rd period of game 7
6) The flyers have advanced to the ECF because of Biron and the PP.

***All these may be obvious to some, but others are still making ridiculous comments and need to be reminded of exactly what has happened to create this ECF.

Posted by: O-V-P | May 5, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

smartfan

What do you mean the caps barely scored on the powerplay?

It seemed like games 3 and 4 the only way we could score was on a powerplay.

As far as Biron goes, sure he has been lucky but goaltending takes a lot of luck but I dont know if any of you saw the saves he made on the koivu breakaway and the pleckanic (sp?) penalty shot. All around good saves.

Lately though, he gives up one and just goes right back to making those saves.

Kim

I think you need to get off the 'flyers are dirty' kick. Really. The series against the habs was fairly clean. Aside from the Kostoplous sucker punch and the Hatcher boarding, there was nothing of note.

Seriously, move on about that and please try to be informed of the happenings in games before you post.

Posted by: tables | May 5, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

@O-V-P, tables

Amen.

Posted by: mauree | May 5, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Just for the record, I dont post much but I do read and for the most part I enjoy Kim's posts because she always seems very well informed

So I dont want anyone to think I am attacking anybody.

Posted by: tables | May 5, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

In regards to Huet

Where does everyone think he will end up. That is if it isnt here?

I have to think LA is going to make a strong pitch for him. Even though he might not go there because of all the teams looking for 'tending, LA is in the world of most hurt

Posted by: Tommmy | May 5, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Pens have played some amazing hockey. I'm not routing for them, and never will, but concede that they are the only team in the east who even look like they can challenge Detroit.

Philly pushed through a less than moderately physical Habs team. I honestly think that after playing the Caps, Montreal seemed easy to them. It certainly looked that way. They worked their @sses off against the Caps. THe only easy game they had was the 2nd. 6 of them were grueling. Montreal was a pushover in comparison. I was surprised by that and bow my hat a little more to the Caps. I offer the refs little more than a dirty sanchez.

Whoever said that Biron and the PP have fueled the Flyers was correct. Biron has been great in the playoffs. Now he has to be fantastic because the penguins scare the hell out of me. Soon, they'll scare the hell out of Philly too.

Posted by: oo7 | May 5, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

mauree, the fact that you dont feel hostile towards philly is sad. im questioning your "fanhood".

Posted by: hmmm | May 5, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Philly has always played the Pens well

they have a 5-3 record against them this year
each team routed the other 1 time. Id say its an evenly matched series going in

its going all 7

Posted by: tables | May 5, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

no one realizes because the caps won three games d bag philly scum

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Became a STH today. Baltimore in the house...er,phone booth

Posted by: markfromparkville | May 5, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

mauree:
You are never an outsider ... a bit confused, perhaps, but never an outsider. ;-)

Leeguru:
I think we were just called ridiculous and ill informed ... now I'm really bitter; can I sign you up for a grudge?!?

smartfan:
I agree with your assessment of the Pens PP - surely the Flyers know that, too. The question is are they good enough to adjust? My guess is no. While I am not crazy about either team, I would rather see Pitt progress than Philly. And, thinking bigger picture, as you said it will be good for the league for Syd to be there. While he is not my player (and, IMHO, NOT better than Ovie), he is very talented (and seemingly a good poster boy). If he can help the NHL get the attention and respect that it deserves, then sobeit. It was fun to watch the Caps frenzy unfold at the VC and in the press this season. Things can only get better and, whether we want to admit it or not, Syd can help! Having said that, I will still be rooting for the Western conference winner, but I would rather see them playing Pitt than Philly. Go "D" team! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | May 5, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

@Tommy
Damn it tommy i owe you 100$...
thats all keeping it short...
ps caps please don't sign jagr... hes an overrated bum and cares about 3 things, money, the way hes treated in hockey, the way hes treated out of hockey... its all about him. i think we all know what happens when guys like that come around... see robert esche or miro satan, or even wade redden

Posted by: Jeff (philly) | May 5, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

NA NA NA NA!
NA NA NA NA!
HEY HEY HEY!
F JAGR!!

Posted by: JUPE | May 5, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Yeah markfromparkville!!! :-D What area did you decide to sit in? Regardless, "see" ya there!! (BTW, how many STH's can you fit in a phone booth?!? ;-))

Posted by: Boo! | May 5, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Can't predict injury, can judge character.
Nylander is in DC strictly for the money.
Bringing back players is stupid, See MIDGET.
When Tom Poti is associated with reliable top four, you know the defense is a disaster.
Pothier was an absolute mistake and had nothing to do with injury, but everything to do with poor judgement: See MIDGET.
How did Capt. Clark do good for the team by getting 30 ??
It's a reflection of how terrible this team is assembled.
MIDGET can't assemble a paper airplane let alone a "team".

Posted by: Chief | May 5, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

"anyone realize that if Philly didnt take a few minutes off in the 1st game of both their series, they would have swept their way to the conference finals?"

I have to disagree with that. The Flyers are playing real well and they deserve to be in the ECF. Having said that, (agains I'm going in point format)

1)they are still a flawed team. Their physical play will keep them in games and they play angles real well, but teams with speed will expose them.
2)Canadiens did not fight hard enough to use their speed advantage and that's why the flyers prevailed (of course when the canadiens did tilt the ice, Biron was spectacular)
3)The pens will expose the Flyers on defense, Biron will have to step up once again.
4)Familiarity with the pens will help out the Flyers (just like the NFC east you can throw out records)
5) I see the pens winning in 6 or 7 because of their skill and talent. I thought the caps also exposed philly, but the caps were too late in exposing philly's flaws and it cost them.
6)This series will come down to PP and Biron once again. The Flyers will have to continue their PP effectiveness.
7)btw, the Pens will be in trouble if they don't figure out how to score 5 on 5 more consistently, unless of course the flyers start either taking too many penalties or refs are mandated to call anything and everything committed on crosby and malkin.

of course as a side note to #7, the rangers are starting to resemble the devils in style of play and maybe that's why the pens had trouble 5 on 5 especially as the series went on.

Posted by: O-V-P | May 5, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Boo-Got 2 seats upstairs(409)very last row-we like to stand. As of right now no seats available in the loge section. If 2 become available I'll upgrade.Anything lower than that too rich for me.
I'll bite-How many STH'S can you fit in a phone booth?
Thanks for the tip on the loge section.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

I was reading something interesting. Id post the website but I cant find it now.

It was in reference to all the broken sticks we see. In particular Jeff Carter's broken stick on Kovalev's tying goal in game one of that series.

The Flyers have ordered all wood sticks, the heaviest weight, for guys like Carter and Richards to use when there are important draws like that.

Take the face off, win the draw and switch sticks when you can. Not a bad idea

Posted by: tables | May 5, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Boo, ridiculous and illinformed? us!!!! I am enraged!

Who cares? We all have opinions, some agree, some disagree. SOme of us back up our opnions, others don't. I admitted I did not watch much of the conference semis, but as a CAPS fan, I am still bitter about the loss. I will be until next season, when the Caps come back flying.

And then there is the resident expert, Chief....

Posted by: Leeguru | May 5, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Chief:
If Nyls is just in it for the money, then why didn't he go to Edmonton when he had the chance? (Or should I be asking Mrs. Nyls that question?)

Leeguru:
AMEN!! :-D

markfromparkville:
409 - right behind the net we shoot on twice? Nice!! :-) Were you looking for the back row in the loge, too, or just anything in the loge? If the latter, you may want to keep in contact with your ticket rep - I bet something will open up (and when it does, it's quite a steal!). RE: the punchline, I was hoping that you could fill in the blank!! ;-)

Philly Jeff:
I don't think you have to worry about anyone here wanting to resign Jagr.

Posted by: Boo! | May 5, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

@ Chief

You are a clown. Of course players will go somewhere for a better contract, that is part of life. Halpern left here for Dallas, don't think anybody accused him of being in it only for the money. Of course it is a consideration. The problem is that you are talking about a guy who tried to play through a torn rotator cuff for an extended period of time on a team that was one of the worst in the NHL, trying to claw its way back to respectability. Ya, just in it for the money...

Any thoughts on how much John Stevens will complain about Cindy Crosby taking dives? If he wouldn't shut his trap against the Caps, his head is going to explode against the Pens.

Posted by: reekie | May 5, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Boo- I'd take any two in the loge as long as they are down that end.The rep said he would keep me posted.I'll probably call once a week to check.
How many STH's can you fit in "the phone booth"- Approx. 18000. 17999 to watch a hockey game and one to sing about the USAIR arena. OH,wait a minute that's how many country singers you can fit in a the phone booth.
I know that's weak but that's all i got.Going to count some sheep.Have a good night.

Posted by: markfromparkville | May 5, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm rooting for Dallas to win it all. If not the Stars, then Detroit.

I won't root for either Philly or Pittsburgh. Blech.

I agree ... Philly deserves to be in the Eastern Conf Finals. But I'd argue that they didn't deserve to be in the playoffs, the way they played the last two months of the season. Moot point now. :I

I was watching the Stars-Sharks game the other night and said to my non-sports-fan roommate "Boy, it's hard to watch hockey when the season is over," referring to our Capitals, of course.

He replies, "Oh, is this an exhibition game?" :D

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | May 5, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

"cant predict injuries, can judge character" - based upon personal experience with each player, i'm sure. nylander, poti, clark..real character issues there.
"nylander is in dc only for the money" - less money than he could have had in edmonton
"bringing back players is stupid" like w/ zednick, turning a third round pick into a second round pick in less than a year.
yeah, bad deal. (the second rounder they got for zed turned out to be ted ruth, who turned out to be federov.)
and the stupidest comment of the day must be "how did capt clark do good for the team by getting 30?" yeah, he should have scored fewer goals.

just when you thought he couldn't be more pathetic...

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | May 5, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

See what happens when you forget to flush? Chief floats right to the top.

Posted by: mark | May 5, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Happy Cinco de Mayo folks! Boy am I glad we got rid of Jagr. Can we write Chief, Puckguru, et al off too?? That goal by Green was very very pretty. I'm looking forward to getting back in town so I can watch the games. I caught the end of the Pitt-NYR game. I was definitely torn about who to root for. Now, I'm not sure. I think I'll just stick with the West, since the Pens and the Flyers give me heartburn. The finals will definitely be interesting.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 5, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

let the rebuilding begin. But be careful about too many veteran euros like kozlov who wont help us in the play offs. Federov isnt a great gamble for the whole season unless the moneey is right. Flash aint ready for nhl yet
we need clark. Steckel Laich and grit forwards
our defense needs to solidify
and huet still isnt the ultimate( see the goal he gave up today?lol)unless the price is right
and i guess overpaid brash is around for another year too

Posted by: wendel | May 5, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey gang. A couple of things before I hit the sack.

I am now officially getting entertained by Chief's idiot posts. They make me laugh out loud.

Does anyone get the feeling that "tables" is a philly fan posing as a caps fan? He/she seems to have nothing but flyer info.

I am THRILLED to have Jagr off the payroll. Wish it happened years ago.

I do think the Caps were a better team than the flyers and we should/could be in the ecf, but they got past us (for whatever reason) and they are deserved of the ecf after the round against the habs.

I can't root for either the Pens or the flyers so I will have to watch Pro Bull Riding and pretend Crosby and Briere are the rodeo clowns.

One last thing. I really hate it when a network/talk show does not pay one minute of time to the NHL and then spews off how it is great that the top player in the NHL has made it to the ECF (Crosby). Don't they realize that the best player will be getting 4 major awards, but will not be in the ECF. BTW, that talk show was Mike and Mike on ESPN. Idiots. Go back to talking about the 1st month of baseball.

Sorry for the rants but I had to catch up. Don't get as much time on the blogs now that our season is over.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | May 5, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

@ tables - why would heavy wood sticks help on faceoffs? I don't get it. thks!

Posted by: Dezlboy | May 5, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

While it's nice that Jagr isn't on the payroll, he didn't take up any cap space. It just makes it easier for Uncle Ted to swallow the payroll he has coming up.

Jeff (Philly) -

No worries there, mate! There's no way on this planet that Jagr will come back to DC. Ted didn't get to be one of the wealthiest men in the US by pulling stunts like that. He learned his lession the first go-around.

Posted by: Greg S. | May 6, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

@reekie

I agree we need someone good at goalie. You say not to pay HUET #1 but that's what people are projecting he'll get. Overpaying for demand.there are no decent goalies available so HUET become like a Marty or a luango and when the season starts the truth shows. The caps don't have some flexibility but not much. with the contracts to OVIE,semin,backstrom,green,laich,nylander,kozlov,poti,etc
those are there top money getters they really don't have much to spend. People think the CAPS are at the bottom in payroll; not anymore. All the new contracts kick in and with the same team pretty much our payroll jumps a lot.

Posted by: smartfan | May 6, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

HUET is looking for a 4-5yr deal in the range of at least 5-6 mil. That is crazy for the caps especially when they have 2 studs waiting(probably take them 2 years). As much as i like HUET he knows this will be his last big contract and is going to milk it. aka no discount for any team.

LET him walk.

We have built something special don't want to destroy it with an overpaid signing aka Jagr.

Posted by: smartfan | May 6, 2008 12:48 AM | Report abuse

For Chief

07-08 season Facts:
Pothier
Played 38 games with 14 points on 5 goals and 9 assists. He was a +5.

Nylander
Played 40 games, scored 11 goals and 26 assists for a total of 37 points. He was a -19 which is agreeably bad, but... He was injured before mid-December and stopped playing mid-January. I don't know what his splits are between Hanlon vs Coach B, but he didn't have much time with Coach B. I don't know if it's statistically relevant or not. It is interesting to note that his 2 years with the Rangers were very impressive. 26 goals, 57 assists for a total of 83 points and a +12 for 06-07. For 05-06 an even better 23 goals, 56 assists, 79 points and +31. I'd trade for those numbers, too.

Clark
In 19 games played, 5 goals, 4 assists, 9 points and an even +/-. Last year was 30 goals, 24 assists for 54 points.

Poti
71 games played with 2 goals, 27 assists and 29 points. He had a +9.

Now, Chief. Tell me again WHY these guys suck? Use facts or don't speak.

Posted by: Greg S. | May 6, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Mrs. Nylander preferred guaranteed money over incentive based money.

@ Reekie,

I never said THANK YOU.
Thank You "Reekie" for spending big money on your "lady's" breast augmentation.
I had a HELL of a Time.
Who's the Clown now ??
Hehe....

Posted by: Chief | May 6, 2008 1:08 AM | Report abuse

To all the "smart people" thinking a 30 goal season from Clark amounted to something.

You people are blind sheep for "fans", the same fans that raved over Simon's 29 goal season.

Clark's numbers are clear to anyone that knows/played the game, of how poorly balanced Caps team was.

Pathetic, 10 years without any tangible success, yet people try to justify and "believe"
That's Pathetic.

Posted by: Chief | May 6, 2008 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Another point about Nylander.

I've ben told he was injured prior to training camp last year, that the exit physical with the Rangers "overlooked" his shoulder.
Also try keeping an open mind as to the BUSH league manner he handled himself with Kevin Lowe, so don't be too shocked if & when he did it to the MIDGET.

Sam Gagner says Thanks MIDGET, for his spot.

Posted by: Chief | May 6, 2008 1:25 AM | Report abuse

@tables

Thanks for not "attacking" I sometimes joke around in my posts, but having watched pretty much every Caps game this and the past two or three seasons, other teams on VS when there are no Caps games, and just about every game in this playoffs am actually pretty informed.

I was not implying that I thought the Flyers played dirty. On the contrary, my post was hinting at my concern that the Pens will get more than their fair share of breaks from the officials in a Flyers/Pens series. Hince fewer PPs for the Flyers and more PPs for the Pens (which has worked out pretty good for the Pens so far in the playoffs). I have not been impressed with the NHL officiating at all this season. So inconsistent. Not even from game to game, but also from period to period.

I could be wrong, because they did let some stuff go in the Rangers/Pens series and did call quite a few penalties on the Pens. In fact, I hope I am wrong and the refs let these two teams battle it out and play mostly five on five. The best thing is for both of these teams to beat each other up for seven games and get swept by whoever wins the West.

Posted by: Kim | May 6, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the morning laugh Chief!

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | May 6, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Hey everyone, good to see so many people keeping the boards running. I don't mean to be a downer, but was Jagr's salary counting against the salary cap? Because if not, I mean it's great that we finally get to cut ties, but we don't technically "gain" any room

Posted by: AP | May 6, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

chief, nearly all NHL money is guaranteed money. in nylander's case, since he's over 35 but signed more than a 1 year contract, he's not eligible for incentives. edmonton offered nylander $2.5M more. but of course, you knew that, smart guy.

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | May 6, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

AP, jagr's salary did not count against the cap but it did come out of ted's wallet. i think old teddy would agree that he gained something!!

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | May 6, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

When will they announce the salary cap for next season? (Or has it already been announced?) I figured it would be before free agency started, draft, etc.

Guess I was thinking about just extra money in Mr. Leonsis' pocket to spend, but where we are in relation to the cap will also be important as we have quite a few players that we want/need to sign this year.

Posted by: Kim | May 6, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Sooooo....
no news about Olie yet?

Posted by: Shaggy | May 6, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

@AP

Doesnt have anything to do with the cap in regards to Jagr...All Economics. Economics mean something to Ted, and could help land another decent player.

We are fine on cap room...

Posted by: Anonymous | May 6, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Tommmy,

I'd guess Sens for Huet if not for us.

Mauree,

How long have you been a Caps fan? Just a couple of years, right? Most here have had years and years to develop very strong negative feelings about all things from Philly.

Chief,

Reading your posts is like hearing Charlie Brown's teacher speak. Volume with no substance.

Posted by: Steve R | May 6, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Thank God this whole Jagr thing is over.

There isn't a bigger scumbag in the league as far as I'm concerned (although Danny Briere isn't far behind him).

Posted by: Zack | May 6, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Updated FHWCT...

After 4 days of WC Hockey in Canada, eh? We have a not so tight race. Things will get interesting in the next day or two when the supplemental draft takes place and cuts need to be made.

1st Steve R [103.75] - Dany Heatley has been the best player in the Worlds thus far, racking up 4 goals and 4 assists in 2 games. Martin Gerber is 2-0 for the unspectacular SUI squad. What does SR do in the supplemental draft? Does he keep Pascal LeCalaire?

2nd oo7 [89.00] - oo7 has Tim Thomas, now 2-0 in the Worlds, he looks to be the goalies for the USA for the string. Sascha had a huge first game and will need to continue the good play for oo7 to overtake SR. Phil Kessel also had a hat trick. oo7 will probably go D, G in the draft.

3rd Honed [82.50]- The early leader has had a few set backs, none more devastating than losing Yeremenko due to a knee injury. She will need her studs to pick it up and also to draft a couple of key players to continue to compete. Will probably go G, F.

4th Jeff (DC) [79.75] - The owner of the first pick hasnt got much output from OV, that wont stay the same. Alex Edler made a strong appearance in SWE's 2nd game with 1G and 2A. OV hasnt found his mojo yet, but that's only temporary. Look for Jeff to contend and look for help in the draft looking for a F and D.

5th JSchon [71.25] - Kenny Jonsson has carried this team. JSchon also getting contributions from G's, Ward and Hnilicka, not much else. Needs bigger production from the forwards who have been quiet. Look for JSchon to draft 2 forwards.

6th Sombrero Guy [69.5] - Had SB drafted two loser goalies that played, he would be competing with Steve R, obviously thats not the case. Visnovsky, Vrbata and Getzlaf have been steady producers. Look for at least 1 goalie drafted here in the SD.

7th Jordan [58.50] - Jordan has 4 holes to fill with 2 picks. 2 goalies and 2 forwards. Its not looking good for him to say the least. Maybe he can get lucky with the 2 picks and make it look respectable. M.Koivu and R.Nash have kept him afloat. Look for a G and F drafted. Maybe 2 G's.

8th jmu_capgirl [56] - I dont know where to begin? Lets start with the 1 positive, Morozov, he has been really good. Lots of holes to fill. Too many. Look for her to try to draft 4 players, but someone will catch her in the act.

Today's and tomorrows games will determine the seedings for the next round. Every team is promised 3 more games after Group play. 8 teams are guaranteed 4 more games, 4 teams are guaranteed 6 more games.

Posted by: Random Commentator | May 6, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

So there should be no excuse to not have HUET signed.

Posted by: MNMNT | May 6, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

As much as I dislike Briere, I definitely don't want to watch the finals on the Nobody But Crosby network. So I'll root for the Flyers over the Pens, so I can watch the finals on the regular ol' NBC.

Posted by: Joe B | May 6, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

OK -- let's get Green and Huet signed now!

Posted by: Michael | May 6, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Yup. Having Varlamov get hurt, and Ersberg get cut from Sweeden (thought he was a lock as well as he played in March and April) REALLY hurt me.

For anyone interested, I have an updated spread sheet with Caps player salaries by season, and their cap number by season so you can see what kind of room we have to work with in the offseason.

e-mail me at blwiseass AT yahoo dot com and i'll send you a copy.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | May 6, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Of the remaining teams, I have to pull for the Stars, if for no other reason than their fans don't outnumber ours at our (regular season) home games.

(although I look forward to that changing next season)

Posted by: 106 | May 6, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

For everyone saying we have "plenty" of cap space for next season, keep in mind that just the raises given to Ovechkin and Semin over their 07-08 salaries increase the payroll close to 10 million dollars. By my count, assuming we re-sign our RFA's (green, laich, gordon, morrisonn, and Fehr) Our team cap number will be around 47 million.

Note: this is assuming Green gets 4 million per season. He might not get that much, but i think if he gets to the open market it could happen

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | May 6, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

The Cap should raise to about $53M'ish...

That said, I've been saying you have to replace Gordon with Bourque...

I would love to dump Poti's contract while isnt bad now, but it will be bad next year when he is owed $7M over 2.

Also, if Pothier is done, $2.5 is saved.

This is going to be a tricky thing for GMGM and tL to maneuver.

Posted by: JSchon | May 6, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

@ Dezlboy

Heavy wood doesnt break as easily

Posted by: tables | May 6, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

assuming Gordon isnt owed much of a raise, Bourque would only save us about 100K.

If Pothier is done, it counts against the Cap but we can file a Long term injury exception...

For players that the team has filed an LTI exception, the team is allowed to exceed the cap by up to the amount of the injured player's salary with as many replacement players as needed, provided that when the injured player is activated the team comes into compliance with the cap immediately. The team does not get to automatically tack on the amount of the injured player's salary to the Upper Limit - an example as illustrated in Article 50.10(d) of the CBA illustrates this point:

(a) Illustration: A Player with a Player Salary of $1.5 million becomes unfit to play for more than 24 days and 10 games. At the time the Player becomes unfit to play, the Club has an Averaged Club Salary of $39.5 million, and the Upper Limit is $40 million. The Club may replace the unfit-to-play Player with another Player of Players with an aggregate Player Salary and Bonuses of up to $1.5 million. The first $500,000 of such replacement salary and bonuses shall count toward the Club's Average Club Salary, bringing the Averaged Club Salary to the Upper Limit. The Club may then exceed the Upper Limit by up to another $1 million as a result of the replacement salary and bonuses. However, if the unfit-to-play Player once again becomes fit to play, and the Club has not otherwise created any Payroll Room during the interim period, then the Player shall not be permitted to rejoin the Club until such time as the Club reduces its Averaged Club Salary to below the Upper Limit.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | May 6, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

@tables - Is this because of the incedent off the face-off in the philly/habs series? Or did they always do this?

I would think that it would be more of a distraction to switch the stick for a faceoff. I would rather my top guy be out there with a stick he is comfortable with and take my chances. The new sticks break easier, but the liklyhood it happens off the face-off and results in a goal? I dont know maybe its because we have not been burned before.

Posted by: Grape8 | May 6, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Sombrero,

What if the injured player retires?

Posted by: Steve R | May 6, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Alas, JMU, your penchant for eastern europeans has led you along the same path many other young girls have taken. fare thee well ; )

Jschon- You don't like Gordon, I take it? I do. I think he plays a great defensive game and his time is coming. He doesn;t hit enough but he plays well. And look at what he did injured. Bourque needs a few years in the minors. I dont think he should be brought up swiftly at all.

I love the commentary on the worlds. It cracks me up.

Posted by: oo7 | May 6, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

@Steve R

I am no CBA expert, but if Pothier decides to "retire" he essentially is giving up on a comeback but the Caps are obligated to continue paying his salary, and he will count against the Caps but we can file for an LTI exception like I indicated above. Insurance would likely cover Pothier's salary.

If a player retires because their skills are in decline, in all likelihood they will force the team to buy them out. No player is going to say "ya know, I am just not the player I once was, so I'll forgo my guaranteed salary". They usually force the organization to buy out in which case....

Teams were given a one-time chance to buy-out players for 2/3rds of the remaining value of the contract between July 23 and July 29, 2005 without the buy-out counting against the salary cap. In future years, teams may still buy-out player contracts for a portion of the remaining value of the contract paid over twice the remaining length of the contract. If the player is
-- Under the age of 26 at the time of termination, the buyout amount is 1/3rd the remaining value
-- 26 or older at the time of termination, the buyout amount is 2/3rd the remaining value.

all of my info is coming from a cheat sheet

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | May 6, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

@ Sombrero Guy

thanks, great info you've got on the salary cap issues.

Secondly, I really think that everybody is underestimating how long it can take for a goalie to develop. To expect either Varlamov or Nuevirth to be ready so soon is a bit nuts if you ask me. Not everybody is a Carey Price and able to step right in at such a young age. Look at Kolzig, he was a first round pick in what 88 or 89? How long did it take him? I'm not saying that it will take these guys a decade to develop, but be realistic in the expectations. We don't need to slap some mediocre goalie in the mix, we need a competent one. Is Huet a hall of famer, no of course not, but he was an allstar last year. The only other FA goalie I think would be worth it would be Theodore, and I think Huet is better. That said, my guess if Huet doesn't end up back here, he's in Ottawa.

Posted by: reekie | May 6, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

@Grape

The article said this is something new they are going to do.
Could be the difference between a good scoring chance and a faceoff win

Posted by: tables | May 6, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

tables,

Question though: will a heavier stick promote slower reaction time resulting in more face off loses?

Posted by: Steve R | May 6, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I dont "hate" Gordo... I just think we have a lot of talent here. While Gordon is great at what he does, there are hundreds of Gordons in the league.

I guess my points is we have a lot of assets, and if we sign either Fedorov or Cookie, or both (unlikely), and then we welcome back Nylander and Clark... Its a numbers game... Gordon doesnt do enough things for me to re-sign him. Blame Laich for coming into his own.

OV/Nylander/Koz
Semin/Backstrom/Laich
Flash/Fedorov/Fehr
Brashear/Steckel/?????

Ask me if I'd rather have Bourque/Bradley or Gordo as the 4th line right wing?

1. Bourque
2. Bradley
3. Gordo

Thats my order...

Posted by: JSchon | May 6, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

@ J Schon

has Bourque ever played wing? He was a center at Boston University and for his junior team, and I believe also for Hershey, but not sure about Hershey.

Posted by: reekie | May 6, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know the link to Penguins blogs? I would love to view the back and forth between Pens and Flyers fans, it should be pretty entertaining. I'll say hi to Jeff (Philly) while I'm there.

Posted by: Moose33 | May 6, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

JSchon...and you forgot Clark in your potential lines. The overall depth on this team looks pretty good.

Ultimately, this goes back to a point I tried to make before...is Fedorov worth 2-3 mil to play on the 3rd line and specialty teams when you have a guy like Gordon who can provide some of those skills for a lot less.

After playing with the numbers, it sure seems to me that Fedorov is going to have to take a HUGE paycut (like, sub 2 mil) to have any chance to stay in DC.

Posted by: Jeff | May 6, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I forgot about Clark above...

OV/Nylander/Koz
Semin/Backstrom/Clark
Flash/Laich/Fehr
Brashear/Steckel/????

Thats not signing Cooke of Fed...

Posted by: JSchon | May 6, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon

I can't honestly see Backstrom playing with anyone but Ovechkinn for the rest of his career, let alone next season. The playoff change was because something needed to be different, and Backstrom showed exactly the kind of playoff performer he can be, and also the fact that he won't be so easily pushed around next year.

No, Backstrom and Ovechkin are probably (hopefully) together for life.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | May 6, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if Bourque has ever played wing? If that's an issue than move Steckel to the 3rd line C, and Laich to R or L wing. There are so many different line-ups to put out there.

Posted by: JSchon | May 6, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

@DrinkingPartner

I would absolutely be fine with Backstrom/OV for 15 years...

I could also live with Nylander/OV and Semin/Backstrom...

It really doesnt matter does it? Both lines would be "sick".

Posted by: JSchon | May 6, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know the deal with Team Canada vs Team USA?

Game is at 3:30 and being shown on TSN? Who carries TSN?

Posted by: JSchon | May 6, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Heard on DC101, Elliott in the AM, caller said Kolzig's house was going up for sale?

Posted by: LFR | May 6, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

@ Steve

When you are talking heavy, we are talking in terms of ounces

I dont think a stick that is a few ounces heavier is going to have much of an effect on reaction time. Faceoff is really mostly about getting in the way of the other guy. If he takes a hard whack down on your stick and his ends up breaking, youve got the puck,

Posted by: tables | May 6, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Still not convinced that Flash should be in that mix, especially if Fed and/or Cooke is signed. I know Fed is a center and would not change the positioning, but rather the number of players.

Gonna be scary in a couple of years when we have to resign Backs though.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | May 6, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Not a big Pens fan, but I think in all reality we need to watch how they handle the next couple years with their upcoming FA's (Malkin/Fluery/Staal/Etc...) We have the talent, we have to focus on keeping it within the financial constraints now.

Posted by: AP | May 6, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

this team is going to get expensive quick; i don;t know if flash should be in the mix either. If he doesn't show up to training camp 20 lbs heavier, its going to be an issue. Eitherway, I'd keep Cookie. Without a doubt. Fedorov in the mix is better than not. That would give the Caps top notch pivots throughout the lineup. Good to cover injuries and good for playoff depth. depth depth depth. More you have, the deeper you go.

Posted by: oo7 | May 6, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

@jschon
Bourque is not ready to replace gordon and probably never will be
he does not have the grit and offensively is not as good as Fehr
we should try to move flash and 1 of our dman for a veteran d man

Posted by: wendel | May 6, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

why even talk a bout getting cooke back
look at philly we need a big gritty thug not cooke who disappeared way too often
as did brash when they to liberties with huet

Posted by: wendel | May 6, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

oo7,
It's all good. I was feeling better when my goalie got the nod for Russia, with Eremenko hurt, but now Naby's coming to play. I can't win. I'm hoping I can pull in 2 good supplements tomorrow.
JSchon, TSN is the Canadian sports network.

I'm getting Russia-Denmark blacked out on WCSN and its making me mad. Is anybody else having that problem too?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 6, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

jmu-it's working fine for me...can't wait for can/usa!

Posted by: fullright | May 6, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

argh!!! Its probably because I'm currently in the middle of f*ing nowhere. However, there is a new thread and today is Washington Capitals Day!!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 6, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

a friend of mine in Silver Spring, MD is having trouble with the feed being blacked out too

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | May 6, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Are you referring to Clark's new contract he signed last summer? Because he certainly didn't do anything to deserve a huge raise.

Posted by: JR | May 6, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@ J Schon,
I've never been much of a Boyd Gordon fan either. He and Bourque play different positions, however. Since turning pro, Bourque has played LW almost exclusively. I'd bet a nice piece of change that Bourque will make the opening night roster, though. He's ready. And, has no more to prove at the Ahl level. George McPhee still pretends to be enamored with Gordon. It's always been my take that his enthusiasm is fueled by his desire to justify taking a 4th round player ( Boyd Gordon ) in the 1st round. ONE OF GEORGE'S MANY COLLOSAL MISTAKES.

Posted by: Puckguru | May 19, 2008 12:48 AM | Report abuse