Jenkins: From Winning to Whining

Here's an excerpt from Sally Jenkins's column for tomorrow's paper:

The New York Rangers can't hope to consistently out-skate or outscore the Washington Capitals, so their strategy is to outfight and out-argue them. Throughout the Eastern Conference quarterfinal series, they've counted on belligerence as a neutralizer, but it's an approach born of inferiority, and they don't seem to have a Plan B. You know they're desperate when they're reduced to whining about foul language.

Check out the whole column here.

More Caps coverage after the jump:

* Tarik's game story, in case you missed it.

* Dan Steinberg writes that the Caps are no longer fazed by Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist. Also, Rangers fans are sleepy/polite?

* The late Donald Brashear hit on Blair Betts could lead to disciplinary action for the Caps enforcer.

* Photos of the Caps' dominant win at MSG.

* Sixth installment of the Ovie Shot Tracker: Six shots, one goal.

* Complete NHL playoff schedule and results.

* Our favorite Caps-related tweets from the game.

The Caps will hold an optional practice tomorrow at 11 a.m. at Kettler, and we'll have more then.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 26, 2009; 10:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Will Brashear and Morrisonn Face Disciplinary Action?
Next: Morning Reading List: Game 6 Aftermath

Comments

I don't even think I'll be able to focus at work the next 2 days.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 26, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Might Schoenie still be bitter from his time in Washington? Boy, is he whiny! He sounds like my 7 year old. I sense a grudge there

Posted by: JS26121820 | April 26, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Schoeny's just peeved that he's stuck in New York with all those classless New Yorkers while Washington is partying it up as the new center of the universe. Cheers!

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 26, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

I wish my Dear Old Dad was still alive. First, he loved the Capitals but never got to see them this good. Second, he knew how to deal with whining, crying tattletales -- just ask my little brother.

Posted by: uncatim | April 26, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fnralch | April 26, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fnralch | April 26, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

CAP-lanta, i wasn't making excuses to lose, and my other posts said as much. And from what I read, even the coach noted that it could serve as a rallying point for the rangers. The discussion and poll were about whether the suspension gave the caps an advantage. but youre real cool talking smack over the internet.

Posted by: oo7 | April 27, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

@oo7

You're right. I'll chill out. To be honest, I usually agree with your posts. Anyway, let's celebrate a great win.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | April 27, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, caplanta. That was big of you. I appreciate it. And yeah, I've been celebrating the huge win. I'm glad they did it. I think its going to do a lot for them down the road. I got caught looking ahead at the beginning of the series and ate some crow at home. I think they'll win at home, because the Rangers just dont seem to have an answer for them yet, and I dont think getting your goalie yanked two in a row fills you with hope. I dont think they're push overs, they just dont seem to have enough to beat the Caps now that they're clicking.

Again, thanks man.

Posted by: oo7 | April 27, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

and for the record, I was wrong. They didnt rally around their fallen coach at all, at least not for more than 10 minutes.

Posted by: oo7 | April 27, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Bottom Line: It is a one game series, and one which a goalie standing on his head can still steal. We have not won anything.

Posted by: ortam | April 27, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

i am just really hoping that all of this bs drama isnt going to get into our boys heads... we succeeded in getting into their heads now they are trying to turn the tables. i dont really believe the biting, mainly because im having a hard time figuring out how you could break someones skin with a bite with all the layers on their arms. i could be totally wrong but it just doesnt seem to add up.

as for brash, as we have all discussed on other posts- to suspend brash for doing 2 (if you could the orr interaction) things compared to avery's endless infractions, that would just be pure and utter bs.

those lucky enough to go to verizon- im expecting creating signs dealing with all of this bs!!

Posted by: mrszilla | April 27, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Girardi and Staal were just seen Making out with eachother.

Posted by: lightshow | April 27, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

I really don't see him standing on his head any longer. He was good but fortunate as well in the two games he stole.

I could see the Rags coming out really strong in the 1st as a last gasp effort to steal this series...but if we go up 1-0 or 2-0, I think we could see the effort level from the Rags drop off really quickly. I really hope the guys come out very, very strong and stick it to Henrik early and often. Not sure I could take another close game and please not another overtime Game 7.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 27, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

rachel216, When you get a chance, shoot me an email at jmu.capsgirl. I'm at gmail.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 27, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ortam | April 27, 2009 12:20 AM

You're right. I'm looking ahead again. Sometimes there's too much belief?

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 27, 2009 12:23 AM

Me neither. my blood pressure is already too high 6 games in.

Posted by: oo7 | April 27, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

remember what they said about us DC-ians when they were up 3-1 last week:

I like being front-runners...means we are winning - u NY clowns!

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 27, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

I'm debating making a sign saying "It's never over" but it would've been better had I gotten tickets to Game 5. Now it would just look like I came up with it since we forced Game 7 and only about 50 people would know otherwise. Not enough for my tastes ;)

That's okay, when we make the Finals (not saying this year) I have a legendary sign that is a guaranteed lock to get me on TV.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 27, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Yes, NY folks - things are going Washington's way. It's only cream rising to the top.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 27, 2009 12:40 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry but I have gone over this all day in my head and there isn't a thing I can think of that makes me think the Rangers will win Game 7. They came out with somewhat motivation in Game 5 to close it out and were unsuccessful but that was Ok b/c they had Game 6 at home and they'd close it out then. Well Game 6 they weren't in since the drop of the puck and that was going to be their best effort. I just don't see how they win this. I know it's a 1 game series blah blah blah, but if you're in their locker room aren't you doubting everything right about now? Not only are you emotionally rattled your roster is also hurting as Betts is sure not to play, Avery didn't do a thing in Game 6 for fear of being scratched again and King Henry was down on his knees more than Monica L. I just don't see us losing game 7.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | April 27, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to be attending, and will be busting out my glitter weagle sign. It's pretty majestic.

Posted by: Ovechwin | April 27, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Davethecapsfan:
if the caps get a 1 or 2 goals lead - you'll see the same as tonight. the rags will try and skate with the caps and they'll just fall further behind. with 9 goals against the king in 4 periods the only lead the nyr's could feel safe/comfortable with is 3 goals - i just don't see that happening. 60 minutes of caps hockey should result in a round 2 series

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 27, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

My two thoughts after finally catching up with all these posts:

1. I think a water bottle giveaway for game 7 is in order.

2. My first thought when hearing about a possible ShaMo suspension was "now who is going to score the game winning goal for us in this incredible comeback against the Rangers??!"

I am not buying the Morrisonn biting (until clear evidence shows otherwise).

Awesome fight Caps (and Caps fans!!) One more win on Tuesday to seal the deal, we believe in you!!!

GO CAPS!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | April 27, 2009 1:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm not going to assume they will quit if we get a lead. I'd be lying if I said I thought we were seeing the real Drury or Gomez though, so if we go up 2-0 in the 1st you might see the same type of body language that McGuire was all teary-eyed about today.

It's unfortunate they couldn't call in Mike Richards for some leadership.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | April 27, 2009 1:19 AM | Report abuse

after watching vid of the hit on Betts and the incident with Orr, there is no reason for Brashear to get any kind of suspension. Its not suspension worthy. The hit on Betts was just a very hard hit, and a tad tad tad bit late. Big deal, this is the playoffs and there's hits like that all the time. And Orr was taunting the Caps by straddling the red line with his butt hanging over it. Brashear came over to keep him honest. Nothing major, just a talk and a light push. If this escalates into a suspension it is now obvious that the media drums up stuff that is suspension worthy.

Frankly, the Daniel Carcillo suspension on his hit off the faceoff was also a joke.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 27, 2009 2:32 AM | Report abuse

by the way, not all New Yorkers are whining about the game and the series. The NY Post took the Rangers and Schoenfeld to task for how they're handling adversity in this series.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 27, 2009 2:34 AM | Report abuse

quick - anyone name the last Capital to be involved in a biting incident? he wasn't the biter, but he got his hand bit in a fight with a chi blackhawk

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 27, 2009 2:37 AM | Report abuse

"To review, the list of offenses the Rangers have suffered at the hands of the Caps includes biting, spitting and name-calling. Next, they will complain the Caps didn't share their postgame juice boxes."

That says it all. Whinning because they didn't get their way...boo hoo!

Posted by: NatyBG | April 27, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Who sends a letter to the league beginning with "Dear Gary"? That letter reads like something from a grade school student. Certainly there must be a professional somewhere in the NYR organization. At the very least someone who can compose a formal letter to the NHL? Maybe they were suspended?

Posted by: WhiskeyRobber | April 27, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse