Jeremy Roenick on Ovechkin: 'He Is Hot'

The Sharks' Jeremy Roenick was a guest on AM 640 Toronto's Bill Watters Show today, and the outspoken NHL veteran had nothing but nice things to say about Alex Ovechkin's controversial goal celebration last night.

Here's a preview:

"You know what? I love Ovechkin. I think this kid is great, he's great for the game, he's great for the young kids to watch. The energy this kid shows, the talent he shows, what he does on the ice is just spectacular, and, you know, so what? He goes and puts his stick down and, you know, he is hot. He is hot. He's telling everybody that he's red hot, and his stick is hot, he's ... letting everybody in the world know that he knows that he's good and that he's hot."

Click here to listen to the clip. (6 min. 52 sec.)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  March 20, 2009; 7:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau: 'I Don't Expect It to Happen Again'
Next: Caps Recall Bourque

Comments

Damn right he is hot.

Posted by: CaliCapsFan | March 20, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

(REPOST)

Yes, I'm a Caps fan.
Yes, I think OV was entitled to celebrate the 50-goal milestone.
Yes, I think maybe this particular mode of celebration might have been over the top (even in an OV context)

...but it's over and done with, OK!?!?!

That said, I think the "hot stick" ritual was more "Eat THIS, Grapes!" than anything else.

Frankly, I'll take OV's "hot Stick" demonstration over Crosby's groin punching or Avery's vulgar remarks...any day of the week!

The main difference between OV (the now and future Great) and Grapes (has-been or never-was: you pick) is that OV knows NOT to take himself too seriously. This is a skill evidently missing from Don Cherry's repertoire. Anyone who wears those F***ing suits and STILL takes oneself as seriously as Grapes does, must SURELY be delusional.

Yes, Hockey is a serious sport, but anyone who so clearly loves their "work" as much as OV does should not be chastised for showing it. Hockey should also be fun...

@ SC1907 & $%#&@66: le festivale du Mario c'est finis!!! Go away, you @$$hats!

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 20, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Reposting from previous thread:

Bears at Lowell starting at 7:00 tonight.
Per John Walton:
Chris Bourque scratched and heading for the airport so it looks like he'll be called up for tomorrow's Caps game.

Posted by: tess2201 | March 20, 2009 6:48 PM

Posted by: tess2201 | March 20, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Well said, JR...I always thought he should have been one of ours...

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 20, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

"Y'know, it's not so much me as Roenick; he's good." *Swingers

I don't understand what the big deal was with the celebration. Theo Fleury sprawled out on the ice pumping fists in 1989 and Selanne taking off his glove and shooting it down the year he scored what was it 76?.

Give me a freakin' break Greg Wyshinski of Puck Daddy. Just enjoy Ovechkin and drink it in. GW is Probably the most passive-aggressive when it comes to critiquing Ovechkin.

Dan Steinberg > Greg Wyshinski.

Posted by: orangechico | March 20, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

OV > All Others

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 20, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Everyone needs someone to be a lightning rod to spark debates...it's great to see Ovie has some people who praise him not just those who criticize him.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 20, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Jeremy Roenick just made a fan of me. I'm amazed at how Ovi's critics and sadly, some of his fans, are quick to turn on him over 5 seconds? He's a ham, in case any of them forgot that. Here's my thing: if Tampa Bay felt slighted by it, how 'bout scoring some goals? There. You scored two against the Capitals' five. Oh, and Caps fans who decided to wag their fingers at Ovi, I hope you guys aren't hating the guy but rather what he did. I don't hate either. I think what he did, he deserved to do. You guys aren't wagging your fingers at his "frat" brothers who put him up to the stunt and ask you this, why not? Why aren't you guys wagging your fingers at Theo, who seems to be the mastermind behind Ovi's antics from last night? Yeah, I KNOW. Duhr. 5 seconds people, 5 freakin' seconds. Yeah, I'm not happy either that we just gave that moron Don Cherry his next rant this weekend. Pssh. Coot.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 20, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

watching some games... NY Islanders have come a long way. That team is going to be pretty decent soon. who knows if it is too late though in terms of it happening in long island and not some other location

Posted by: O-V-P | March 20, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I have always been a fan of Roenick (yes, even while he was a flyer), and im glad that he loves Ovie.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 20, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

What a great clip thanks!

Posted by: CapsFan9 | March 20, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

OT (I'm actually tired of the Ovie celebration discussion - he's a great talent, a great personality, is great for hockey and we should all move on) - but the Devils are leading the Wild 3-0 with 7 minutes remaining in the second.

If my crystal ball is correct, the Caps and Devils will vie for first in the East with the formerly high-flying Bruins coming in third. Sunday's game featuring Devils vs. Bruins will be very critical.

And did you know that the Wild have a player named Ovechkie? Doc Emerick has had to work hard not to say Ovechkin!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | March 20, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Peter Olvecky... would be wild if it were ^ spelled similarly.

Posted by: rh71 | March 20, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

@rh71 - sorry I didn't get the spelling right...that's what I get for spelling it as it sounded rather than checking on the web for the correct spelling...

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | March 20, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see that JR came to praise him, now if Brett Hull would say something similar, as they both were both viewed by many as the "bad" boys of hockey because they spoke their minds, that would speak volumes.

Posted by: caps28fan | March 20, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

speaking of JR, being hot, and melting the ice

Posted by: overtime | March 20, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Well said Mr. Roenick!

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 20, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Bears lose 2-1 to Lowell Devils. Neuvirth in goal. Bears only goal by Jay Beagle.

Posted by: tess2201 | March 20, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I'll admit I'm a Caps fan and an Ovi fan. I don't blame Ovi for wanting to celebrate #50 in a special way since #50 is a major milestone. Okay, this particular celebration (the "hot" stick) was probably a bit over the top but I didn't see it as rubbing Tampa's nose in the mud or anything of that nature.

It did seem like Ovi (and his teammates who egged him on but didn't join him for this) was trying to thumb his nose (or give the finger) to Don Cherry.

For the record, I enjoy Ovi's generation. Maybe since I have a child who's the same age as him. They're the vanguard of the Millenial Generation as they come of age to adulthood.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 20, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tess2201

Posted by: rachel216 | March 20, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

An intelligent answer by someone who gets it. Glad to see there are some people in the limelight that can still think for themselves.

Posted by: ejohnsto | March 20, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

JR would have been a classic Capital. We could a player like him entering the playoffs.

Posted by: zosodave | March 20, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Could USE a player like him.(ooops)

Posted by: zosodave | March 20, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

This is why I'm Hot
This is why This is why
This is why I'm Hot
This is why I'm Hot This is why I'm Hot
This is why This is why
This is why I'm Hot

I'm hot cause I'm fly
You ain't cause you're not
This is why This is Why
This is why I'm hot This is why I'm hot

Posted by: SlavaKM | March 20, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Good for JR, a local boy btw

Posted by: gtydings | March 20, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

StanleyCup1907: You're not even a Caps fan so why are you here? You find some obscure trivia like who the Kenora Thistles are and we're supposed to take you seriously? All these warnings about OV keeping his head up because someone is going to nail him in the neutral zone, in the slot, BLAH BLAH BLAH. Every team has been trying to nail him since his rookie season. He gets hacked, slashed, and high-sticks in the face more than any other player in the league let alone superstar. The loser fans in Boston even had the nerve to boo him when he went about 3/4 speed shoulder first into the boards and didn't get up for a little while. First time he stayed down folks, even when he got cut so bad it required stitches on his leg against the Pens last season which caused him to miss the 3rd period.

Another little fact about celebrations. When I was a little kid I though the Stanley Cup clinching goal was scored by Bobby Orr when he was parallel to the ice. Now that I know what happened, he is parallel to the ice because as soon as he scored he dove to celebrate. It wasn't a great hockey move, he was showing up his opponent.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 20, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

why comment towards sc1907???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Don"t comment to him???????????????????????????

Posted by: gtydings | March 20, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Great points by JR, esp. the last one that they actually agreed on: if Tampa had a problem with it, they should have done something about it other than complain to the press after the game.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | March 20, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Bill Watters brought up OV's jumping up against the glass celebration again. I know for a fact Crosby has done that on at least one occasion. It was the game against the Flyers when Crosby scored with just a few minutes left after a big third period comeback. Crosby promptly skate to the corner, at the Wachovia Center, and jumped against the glass. Yesterday's celebration is just another way for Canadiens to complain about OV.

By the way Hartnall has a shoulder bump ritual when he scores. No one seems to complain about that, and they shouldn't.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 20, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

i for one am glad new jersey won. i don't think we can pass Jersey the way they are playing, so i think it would be best that Jersey keeps winning, we keep winning, and Boston keeps losing.

that way if everything works out like it should (hopefully) then the second round will be:
1. jersey v. 4./5. flyers/penguins
2. caps v. 3. boston

for the second round, i think boston would be the best for us to face anyways.

Posted by: passerby | March 20, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm pissed at jeremy roenick. Because those comments made it harder for me to sustain the utter contempt for jeremy roenick that I have enjoyed for so long.

For years, when I hear his name, I see orange and black. And the rage comes. Now when I hear his name I will think "You know what? I love Ovechkin."

There's still lindros. That punk better keep his mouth shut if he's an Ovi fan.

Posted by: large23220 | March 20, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Crosby has such a recognizable celebration my son said it is built into his NHL game on XBox. Every time his little character scores it celebrates with the classic Crosby move. His left knee is bent, his right leg drags on the ice and his arms are pumping. He better keep his head up in the neutral zone. Well, maybe not so much because 2/3 of his points are assists rather than goals.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 20, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

large23220: You have to give JR a break. He's played over 1300 regular season games and played only just over 200 of them for the Flyers. Otherwise he's in the Campbell/Western Conference. This is the second time JR has spoken favorably about OV when all of Canada wanted his head. Why doesn't the US fall into the Gulf of Mexico? Because Canada sucks.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 20, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

But...is he hot?

That stats lady that hikes around the rink in stilettos at the Booth is hot.

Posted by: keeef | March 20, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Here is a great clip of players reacting to the celebration. the majority of the league (not named Crosby or from TB) seem to have Ovie's back.

Posted by: BMorrison808 | March 20, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't read JR's comments, I had something stuck in my eyes

Posted by: LouLewis | March 20, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

For you OV celebration hater's, read Thomas Boswell's column on the subject for a good perspective.

Posted by: OldFan | March 21, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

^ don't forget this is still a sport where you have everyone show up in a suit everywhere. The players do it out of respect and code - Ovie is no different - so they shouldn't act completely opposite of that while on the ice. Do your impromptu celebrations, go flying into a pile of humanity if a teammate scores a winner, and leave it at that. Premeditated dancing shouldn't happen in-game just like a guy who knocks one out of the park isn't going to twirl and do a handstand while heading to 1st... as funny as it is - it's got no place during a professional game. I'm sure Ovie's got that in his head by now. No doubt his exuberance and willingness to be a showman caused him to agree with Theo's scheme in the first place.

Posted by: rh71 | March 21, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Much ado about nothing..........

For those of you that want to make comparisons to Ocho Cinco and TO, ask yourself this. Is it the celebrations that have caused their problems or is it their reputations as self centered athletes that are cancers in the locker room. I have never once heard anyone in the media or in his peer group accuse Ovie of being a bad guy. If TO and Ocho Cinco were well liked by everyone, I doubt anybody would care about their end zone celebrations.
I think a much better example would be Bruce Smith. His celebrations tended to be over the top but he was a beloved figure by his teammates and fans alike so nobody seemed to care.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 21, 2009 2:07 AM | Report abuse

@ fanohock1
A) your name is not creative
B) "you need" to stop with the pretense of telling me what I "need to" do
C) hockey fans are probably a bad group to try your idiotic anti-Canada jokes on. I come from Maritime stock. My people are superior in integrity and fortitude to whatever stock you come from. I have no doubt.

Posted by: large23220 | March 21, 2009 2:58 AM | Report abuse

And thank you Keeef for helping me to understand what roenick was REALLY saying.

Posted by: large23220 | March 21, 2009 3:08 AM | Report abuse

Just keep on celebrateing Ove after each and every Goal--All of 'em. Caps players get excited, fans get excited we all hace fun watching YOU. I've seen 'em all since ROCKET RICHARD aND THEY ALL Had THEIR INDVIDUAL PERSONALITIES.They were good players but boring.Cindy Crosby is a good Hockey Player but boring as hell no personality, and who cares what Cindy or Cherry thinks anyhow????

Posted by: duckyjimpond | March 21, 2009 3:20 AM | Report abuse