Joe Corvo ready to max out opportunity with Caps

(John McDonnell/The Washington Post)

Morning roundup

Joe Corvo needed extensive surgery and more than 100 stitches after getting hurt against the Capitals in November. Now, he has a prominent place on their blue line. Safe to say it's all in the past.

"If you had to pick three teams to get traded to, this is one of them," he said. "You would have to pick the reigning Stanley Cup champions, and I won't mention their name in this locker room. Or that team in San Jose. But I think this is the best team in the East." | Full story »

Tonight's matchup:

Dallas Stars (28-24-12)
Washington Capitals (44-13-8)
Verizon Center, 7 p.m.
TV: Versus (HD)
Radio: 1500 AM

Your morning links await:

*Stumbling Stars trying not to panic. (Dallas Morning News)

*Is Alex Ovechkin the Russian Destroyer? (RMNB)

*The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Joe Starkey thinks he sees a pattern, and you're not gonna like it: "When defining moments present themselves, Crosby's teams rise up; Ovechkin's melt down."

*Shot-blocking Backstrom. (On Frozen Blog)

*Caps seek 14th straight at home as the world, or just everyone who has Versus and cares, watches. (NHL.com)

*Dallas does nothing for Peerless.

*For Caps, Jose Theodore is becoming an easy choice in goal. (DC Examiner)

*Speaking of Theo, this is wonderful. (Japers' Rink)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  March 8, 2010; 5:47 AM ET
 | Tags: Joe Corvo, Morning roundup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau on Theo: 'He was by far our best player'
Next: Varlamov set to start vs. Stars

Comments

I'll be there tonight - rockin the red!

Posted by: ebolean1 | March 8, 2010 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Imagine that -- no call on Cooke as a Penguin. Had he been a Cap, I bet there would have been a call. He better get a suspension for that cheap hit on Savard. Elbow to head hits have to be enforced with strong suspensions!

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | March 8, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Good article on Corvo. I think he will fit in perfect. The other night, there were several occasions when I thought it was Green out there (from the way Corvo moves) untill I saw the 77. Maybe with the Boudreau system it works very well to have similar d-men. For instance, if they keep Corvo past this year, Green, Corvo and Carlson are three similar type players and it would mean the team could always count on the RH D to play a certain style. Then you have Alzner, Schultz and whomever else and your three LH D would also be cut from the same mold.

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 8, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Does it concern anybody that Corvo keeps talking about how he won't be 100% until next season?

In an interview the other day, he said it would take 6 months from the time of the injury to get back to 100%. The season will be over by then no matter what.

Now, in Tarik's article there is this:

He also has found himself playing more conservatively because he still hasn't completely regained his trademark burst of speed. Because of that, he takes fewer risks when carrying the puck.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 8, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Lindsay, how about a little love for the Bears?

Hershey wins again, beating the Adirondack Phantoms 4-2 with Neuvy in goal:

Last night they beat the baby Pens and clinched a playoff berth:

Posted by: tess2201 | March 8, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Actually, that should read "Saturday night they beat the baby Pens..."

Posted by: tess2201 | March 8, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | March 8, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse

what he did was not against the current rules of hockey...sadly enough.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 8, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Reading some Penguins blogs they think he may get 4-6 games.

If they think he is getting something...he IS getting something.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 8, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

That idiot Mike Wilbon has an online Q&A today at 1:15 p.m. I hope he gets some tough questions today about his Caps bashing.

Posted by: MReilly9 | March 8, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

tess2201, thanks for the links. I know I'm loving the Bears and am amazed by how well they continue to play. Looks like I'll be juggling watching/listening to Bears/Caps playoff games again this season.

As far as the Caps go, I'm really pleased by how well the "new guys" are doing already, and it'll be nice to see Juice out there again when he's ready to play. GMGM proved again how smart and focused he is when it comes to building a Cup contender.

Lindsey, as always, fantastic job with the morning roundup--a very tasty selection of links to go with my breakfast.

LET'S GO, CAPS!

Posted by: wocoliz | March 8, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

In a common sense world, Cooke would be suspended. But the NHL long ago ceased operating based on principles of common sense. By rule, Cooke's hit was clean. It wasn't elbow-first contact, and since there's no NHL rule similar to that of the Olympics regarding head shots - it's legal.

If they didn't suspend Richards for his hit on Booth, there's no reason for them to suspend Cooke for his hit on Savard.

The only joke here is the league itself, in that whenever this occurs, instead of addressing the problem, the "experts" blame the player who got hit.

I'd love to see Cooke get the book thrown at him - but based on the current rules and disciplinary precedent, he shouldn't be suspended.

But forget all that noise - there's a game tonight. Go Caps!

Posted by: writered21 | March 8, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Is the game going to be broadcast on CSN locally as well (I thought that was the deal). Sucks if on Versus... I'll be heading to a bar!

Posted by: DWGie | March 8, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

@tmac

yep, that worried me, too.

On the other hand, Corvo's line about not mentioning the Pens in the Caps locker room cracked me up. He may be new to the team but he TOTALLY gets it! Awesome!

Posted by: CAP-lanta | March 8, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I think that Cooke may well be facing suspension for a couple of reasons. At the very least the incident will get a good hard consideration.

1) Rap sheet: His Savard hit is very similar to his 11/28/09 Anisimov hit for which he did received suspension. And he has had other questionable hits.

2) Timing: The GMs are meeting very soon, maybe this week (not sure) and head hits are one of the topics du jour. IMO all head hits are being dealt with much more severely now than at the beginning of the season.

3) All rule books have gray areas--much wiggle room for rationals. So I'll be interested in how they judge this hit.

Tho' true that Cooke didn't get a penalty at the time, this type of hit--in which Savard was blindsided just after he got the shot off so he is still in the lowered body extension--needs to be considered by the league. There is no way Savard could have known Cooke was there nor could he have defended himself at that moment.

4) I just don't like the guy. But that doesn't really count does it! LOL.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | March 8, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I also loved Corvo's comment about that "team who shall not be named" in the locker room at least.

Listening to all of the new guys, what struck me was how each of them felt like they had just won the lottery when traded to the Caps. This was true with Chimera as well--gosh that trade seems so long ago now. Such a nice change from the attitude when Ovi was drafted--that a player of his calibre should go to a real hockey.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | March 8, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Starkey's comment is a yawn. Nothing new. Perhaps he's right; particularly with the top lines where Ovie and Semin sometimes frustrate us by trying to win the game single handed. He may be stuck in the past, though. I don't think I'm imagining that we've had more contributions from the other lines this year. Plus, one can't discount the fact that they don't quit when down by 3 goals. Maybe Starkey wants to get syndicated and he knew that his comment would get noticed in at least one larger market...

Posted by: hockeyweasel | March 8, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

"a real hockey town" I mean

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | March 8, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Here's a good column from the Pgh Post Gazette calling for a suspension for Cooke:

I think he will be suspended. It was a dirty hit and he knew it. A clear head shot putting an NHL player at risk of serious injury -- and he was injured seriously. As with Green's hit that earned him time off, I think most NHL fans whether jaded by their home team devotion or not believe a suspension is in order. I don't care if it's "legal," the focus on head shots will put away Cooke for 3 to 5 games.

Posted by: Sonyask | March 8, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Starkey- this is a very different team from those in the past- not so soft these days...guess, we will all have to wait to shut these talking heads up. Only way to quiet them for a while is a Cup...but these comparisons will go on for eternity.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 8, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Yeah I thought Starkey's piece was poorly argued and just plain wrong. I would also argue that Ovi hasn't been doing the "win singlehandedly" this season and particularly during the streak. If anything this team has shown balance and Ovi is trusting that kind of balance.

Unfortunately the Russia team was looking for him to carry the team to victory and he is the one getting burned. But all things pass given enough time.

Did anyone see Cherry's defense of Ovi in his last show. It's on YouTube I believe. He said that the Canadian hate for Ovi was ridiculous and that had Ovi been on the Canadian team or a team with that kind of player support Ovi would have put a number of pucks in the back of the net. Essentially he said that Ovi is still one of the best if not the best player in the league. Love him or hate him, he does tell it like he sees it.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | March 8, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Also - Crosby has had some help winning a Cup and Gold. It's not Ovi vs Crosby...it's the Caps vs the Pens, or USA vs Canada...there were some other pretty good players on those teams besides Cindy. Whatev- I'm sick of this crap already - Go Caps beat Dallas!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 8, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

VS has exclusive broadcast rights for tonights game. Last Wed VS did not which is why it was on CSN, and VS used the CSN broadcast. That's why Craig L said he was finally national during the game. Anyhow, anyone who has Directv is SOL unless you are going to the game like me :)

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 8, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Watched the video on YouTube several times now and I think Cooke has to be suspended. While it's debatable whether he got Savard with the shoulder or the elbow, that doesn't change the fact that it was a blind side hit to the head from a guy who clearly knew what he was about to do. It wasn't that Savard moved unexpectedly and that caused Cooke to clean his clock incidentally or accidentally. He had Savard lined up and cleaned his clock even though he had the opportunity to ease up. In the video it even looks like Cooke almost hops or raises his arm to deliver the hit high. Personally, I don't see much of a difference between this play, the Mike Richards hit on David Booth, Janssen on Bradley or Brashear on Blair Betts last year in the playoffs. In each case, the checking player intentionally landed a crushing blind-side hit to the head. The only thing different about these incidents is how they are responded to by the on-ice officials and Colin Campbell.

Posted by: cainoo7x | March 8, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

GMs really need to get a "no head shot" rule in place...Cooke needs to get suspended at least 5 games...it was a dirty cheap shot- revenge for an earlier hit on Cooke

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 8, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Lindsay, thanks for the link to our Save For Kids donation drive!

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 8, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

according to this it will be 1-5 games...

Posted by: mrszilla | March 8, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

If you want to find a villan in the Versus-Direct TV battle then look no further than Comcast. Comcast owns the Versus network and I would bet my house that Comcast is being a little less than reasonable with Direct TV. Comcast has a history of using their sports programming to entice subscribers to move to them. Ironically enough who does this remind you of? Maybe Direct TV and their tactics with the NFL package. :) Finally, in spite of the insuations I read daily the last thing the NHL needs is to move their product to Bristol. If that happens then ESPN will continue to ignore hockey while televising a token game every week to include the playoffs. Versus is far more dedicated to the NHL than ESPN ever was. Can you imagine ESPN showing a game every night during the Stanley Cup playoffs. NEVER! The only acceptable partnership with ESPN would be a game of the week deal that worked in unison with Versus and gave Versus the top priority. That would still allow for the wall to wall coverage Versus gives us come playoff time. Otherwise, just say no to Bristol.

Starkey is another idiot. It's simply too early in both Crosby and Ovechkin's career for this nonsense. Talk to me in fifteen years when such talk has some legitimacy.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 8, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Starkey, of the Pittsburgh Tribune, is really grasping for any controversy or psychological advantage for his Penguins. To start with, Ovechkin and Crosby do not even play the same position in the game. Even though Crosby has been blessed with the better teams at the moment, the real comparison will eventually be against the careers of Isiah Thomas and Michael Jordan. Jordan and the Bulls were not able to get out of the Conference because Thomas had the better team while losing in the Championship series in 1988 and winning back to back titles from 1989-1990. Even though it was a gut wrenching learning experience for Jordan early in his career, he eventually learned how to win and when finally surrounded by some key pieces, Jordan's team broke through and never looked back. I can still remember that Isiah was the "Whinier" and "Arrogant" of the two while Jordan just took his lumps and played. To me, this is the real Crosby and Ovechkin comparison.

Posted by: JohnWWW | March 8, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Well, Larry Bird beat Magic Johnson in the Finals in 1984 and everyone talked about the Celtics curse on the Lakers.

Then Magic and the Lakers won in 1985 and 1987.

Just because one superstar player is first to the post with a clinching victory doesn't mean the other won't ultimately match or out-do him.

Posted by: leopard09 | March 8, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Stat For The Day
Of course, The Washington Capitals lead the entire NHL in wins, points, and any number of statistical categories, but their domination of the Eastern Conference may be historic as measured by goal differential. In the East there are only five teams with a + goal differential:
Washington (+75)
Pittsburgh (+22)
Philadelphia (+22)
New Jersey (+15)
Buffalo (+13)
If you add the Pens, Flyers, Devils, and Sabres goal differentials together they come to +72, still three short of the Caps'.

Posted by: basingstoke | March 8, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Have the Bruins an enforcer/goon or do they need one ?
Do the Bruins need to get "tougher" ?

I don't think so ...

Form ALAN ROBINSON:
"Several Bruins players said they liked how the team didn't spend the rest of the game trying to retaliate, but focused instead on trying to get the tying goal"
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/07/AR2010030702746.html)

There is "only" one problem - one of their best player wasn't able to help ...

There should be no place for such "players" like Cooke in the game ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | March 8, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Will be there as well - Sect 120! It's been a month since I have been there. I have the shakes, the DTs, Am seeing Pink flying hockey pucks around. I went to the Local hockey rink to watch the mini mites play and shook a cowbell and yelled at the ref!

Its bad. Very, very bad.

If you see me and my giant red latex painted head, say hello.

Posted by: jdhoover | March 8, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

As far as ESPN, they did a good job with coverage in my opinion. They showed just as much hockey during the playoffs and their crew for the big games and big series were Gary Thorne and Bill Clement who are better than the VS/NBC big game crews.

They basically had the same thing, they had a Monday and Tuesday game every week during the regular season. During the playoffs they actually had more game on because they would use both ESPN and ESPN2. Now, their coverage of hockey is a joke now because they are like some pissed off kid that basically refused to show any NHL because they didn't get broadcast rights for $0 like they tried to do after the lockout.

Anyhow, I certainly hope this dispute gets resolved by the 3rd round of the playoffs when VS/NBC kicks in their exclusive broadcast rights for the rest of the playoffs. Luckily I can head to my inlaws house 10 minutes down the road because they have local cable and VS. Ironically they don't have COMCAST Sportsnet because COMCAST pressured our local cable company with a sharp increase and they dropped them and kept MASN. That's why I went to Directv in the first place.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 8, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

The article about Crosby's teams winning in big games is true on a surface level. HOWEVER, there is WAY more to it than simply one guy's team beating another's.

The team Crosby has had around him has been better in every case.

WJC: Possibly the best team Canada has ever had (Bergeron, Perry, Crosby, Phaneuf, etc.)

STANLEY CUP: Pitt still had the better team. Additionally, they were all experienced, having been to the SCF the year before.

OLYMPICS: Canada had 4 amazing lines, and 6 solid D (I refuse to include Seabrook in that, as he was awful in the tourny). OV, meanwhile, had KHL players who absolutely should not have been there, and a goaltender who has a history of losing important games (in San Jose)

However, this year OV has the better team. There is a good mix of experience, grit and raw talent, and the team has been built to win the Cup. As such, it is up to OV (and the boys) to bring home the Cup; otherwise articles like this one will forever be written.

GO CAPS!

Posted by: Aldred15 | March 8, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

..."I have to anticipate a little more to keep on the right side of things, so I'm not always chasing," he said. "By next season I should be all right."

Posted by: tmac2yao

Yeah, but he also said, "...You would have to pick the reigning Stanley Cup champions, and I won't mention their name in this locker room...", which should endear him to Caps fans.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | March 8, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Rule 46.1 defines elbowing as "the use of an extended elbow in a manner that may or may not cause injury." It doesn't say that the elbow has to be the point of contact. Cooke raised his elbow at contact to deliver the blow with additional force. A major penalty is mandatory if there is injury to the head (46.3). A game misconduct goes with the major (46.5). A match penalty may be assessed for intent to injure by elbowing. A fine is mandatory for the major and supplemental discipline (e.g., suspension) may be added.

Charging may be more clearly applicable under Rule 43. "Charging" occurs when a player "as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner." A major penalty may be assessed depending on the degree of violence (43.3). Game misconduct, match penalty, fine and suspension are as with elbowing, with the provisions for game misconduct, fine and suspension specifically applicable for head injuries.

So, bottom line, if the league wants to stop head shots, there is a basis in the current rules to suspend Cooke. It would be nice to have language specific to intentional head shots of all sorts, but there is enough in the rules already to deal appropriately with Cooke.

Posted by: zmega | March 8, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao

Agreed. Tarik's article didn't exactly help bolster my confidence in the "gamble". Guess time will tell.

Posted by: letsgocaps3 | March 8, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Crosby was quoted as saying the NHL needs to clarify the rules to prevent injuries like Savard's - not exactly sticking up for Cooke. Good for Cindy. He may realize that other teams could retaliate against him for dirty hits by Cooke.

As far as the Starkey article, at least Pittsburgh has local press that stand up for their local stars. We have Wilbon.

Posted by: zmega | March 8, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Have to disagree that this whole VS thing is Comcast' fault. When this whole thing first reared its ugly head I had Directv and phoned them about this...they said that Comcast had cranked the price of the channel and they could not afford it. Now....I then called Dish Network who stated they had just resigned a long term deal to continue carrying VS with Comcast and as far as they knew it would have been the same deal for Directv. Were they blowing sunshine up my butt? Maybe, but in the end I went with Dish and get to watch all the VS games from the comfort of my recliner.....plus they are about 25 bucks a month cheaper!

Posted by: PhilR | March 8, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

fanohcok1 wrote:

"They basically had the same thing, they had a Monday and Tuesday game every week during the regular season. During the playoffs they actually had more game on because they would use both ESPN and ESPN2."

------------------------

Horse hockey. ESPN never televised the Stanley Cup playoffs on a nightly basis until they reached the conference finals. They certainly wouldn't now. They have the NBA playoffs and the French Open to deal with contractually.

I experienced the Comcast situation personally. Until one month ago CSN+ wasn't available on FIOS in my area. After some exhaustive digging I discovered that Comcast would not allow FIOS to broadcast the channel in my area (only PG and Montgomery were allowed in Maryland). They were using CSN+ as a tool to get people in my area to move to them.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | March 8, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

With regard to Corvo, I think the question for now should be how is he skating now, not whether he might be better next year. He seems to be moving well. If he is being more cautious than before, that may not be a bad thing, given the criticisms that some have made that he sometimes takes excessive risks. If he is skating well now and is not risking further injury, I think the trade was a good one. If he gains some burst by next season, that goes to the question of whether he should be resigned in the off-season.

Posted by: zmega | March 8, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

@ PhilR & fanohock1
The whole mess with DTV and VS is a nightmare. I actually compalined with Direct especially when the CEO of DTV made the comment about the number of households impacted was "inconsequential" to them. That was what got me fired up about the whole issue. Nothing like watching the giant coporations fight for power and money and the end user gets the screwed.

Can somoene post a link to where we can find the game online tonight if they already have it? Thanks.

Posted by: DBnMD | March 8, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

zmega: Too early to tell on next year, but Belanger and Corvo might be just the kind of players McPhee would be signing anyway. At this point, BMo at 1.5 or Belanger at 1.75 - you'd bring back Belanger. And with several UFAs on the blueline, there's probably room for one more vet to come in. Corvo's price, if the same next year, could fit - depending on if all the forwards come back.

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 8, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Stars, huh.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 8, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

DBnMD, the caps website carries all the home games last time I checked so you should be able to get a feed there.

Posted by: PhilR | March 8, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

@ Gambrills4

I don't know what the heck you were watchig but ESPN did a lot more games than VS does now.. and unlike VS, they had their own crew, never used someone elses broadcast

Posted by: joek443 | March 8, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

ESPN did a lot more games than VS does now... and unlike VS, they used their own crew, never used someone else's broadcasts

Posted by: joek443 | March 8, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

from Tarik's Twitter:

Flash, Walker, and Laing scratched
Sloan and S. Morrison scratched
Varly in goal

TONIGHT'S LINEUP:

Ovi-Backstrom-Knuble
Laich-Belanger-Semin
Chimera-Morrison-Fehr
Gordon-Steckel-Bradley

Green-Schultz
Corvo-Poti
Carlson-Erskine

Varly

I don't like sitting Flash but I guess you gotta rotate the guys. Not playing Walker every game makes sense for sure -- give the old man some rest.

Posted by: butcherbaker | March 8, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

So, the message has bent sent to Walker - either score two goals, or sit in the press box.

I like having the three RH defensemen and how they have a very similar style. I can really see where BB will take turns scratching LH defensemen unless Carlson's play drops off. You can make a really nice system easy for the players where the RH d-man is the one to charge, the LH d-man slides over and the LW drops back. Or the RW has to be ready to drop back. Either way, if you do this, no matter which d pair is out there it's the same set play.

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 8, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I hate to see Flash sit, but it is really a luxury to be able to spread some rest around for the rest of the season.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | March 8, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

3 lefties, 3 righties is perfect. Couldn't ask for a better division back there. D to D One-timers galore.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 8, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Gambrills4: I lived in Hawaii for 6 years while ESPN had coverage. I got Prime Ticket out of LA and ESPN. Those were my ONLY hockey channels. I went through miles of VHS tapes because I was 5 and 6 hours behind the East Coast. ESPN2 with the fire burning and the guys wearing sweaters instead of suits during hockey games were a regular occurance.

ESPN really doesn't show much of the NBA playoffs now. You have to find the games on TBS most times during the week.

"1992–2004 From its debut in 1992 until the 2001–02 NHL season, weekly regular season games were broadcast on Sundays (between NFL and baseball seasons), Wednesdays, and Fridays, and were titled Sunday/Wednesday/Friday Night Hockey. Prior to the 1999, these telecasts were non-exclusive, meaning they were blacked out in the regions of the competing teams, and an alternate game was shown in these affected areas. Beginning in 1999–2000 season, ESPN was permitted two exclusive telecasts per team per season. When ESPN started broadcasting NBA games on Wednesday and Friday nights in 2002, the weekly hockey broadcasts were moved to Thursday and the broadcasts renamed to Thursday Night Hockey. Beginning in 1993–94, up to five games per week were also shown on ESPN2.

During the Stanley Cup playoffs, ESPN and ESPN2 provided almost nightly coverage, often carrying games on both channels simultaneously. Games in the first two rounds were non-exclusive, while telecasts in the Conference Finals and Finals were exclusive (except in 1993 and 1994)."

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 8, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Starkey appears to have been bitten by the "I'm on deadline and a don't have a column" syndrome. His arguments are trite and commonplace. In fact, very similar to type of stuff that Mike Milbury loved to dish out during the Olympics. Ultimately, I'm sick and tired of the Ovechkin/Crosby comparisons. The only thing they have in common is that they sell a lot of t-shirts. The column also misses a that Ovechkin has won a world championship and a junior world championship. Mostly it just reads like a Pens blogger defending Crosby.

Posted by: firehorse | March 8, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Another thought about Flash being the healthy scratch tonight - BB has been saying that he is not scratching guys because they are playing badly, but only because he wants to keep everyone on the top of his game. By scratching a guy who is known as one of his favorites, he backs up his words with deeds in a big way. So, it's a great team move.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | March 8, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

NBA games are split between TNT and ESPN till the Finals which are carried by ABC/ESPN...

ESPN has 5 or 6 channels now... nobody ever accuses of them of NOT having enough coverage of the sports they have rights to... if anything, they get accused of doing too much

Posted by: joek443 | March 8, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

fanohcok1 wrote:

------------------------

Posted by: Gambrills4

------------------------
Uh, actually I remember it being more like fanohock1 describes. Way back ESPN used to show hockey games on Mon/Wed/Fri. Then it was Thursday night hockey, but that may have been on ESPN2. Again as I recall back in the day between ESPN and ESPN2 they'd have like 4 or 5 hockey games a week. In the playoffs I thought ESPN and/or ESPN2 showed first round (and second round) playoff games. I'm getting old and my memory isn't as good as it once was, but that's the way I remember it.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | March 8, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Now that I read fanohock1's subsequent post:
1) Change Mon/Wed/Fri to Sun/WedFri.
2) Maybe my memory isn't that bad after all. I must be younger than I thought. :)

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | March 8, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

On the NYR contest: good, solid win for the Caps (way 2 go, Thee-0!).

I almost feel sorry for Torts. When he looks up at the Jumbotron after a Caps goal or a NYR penalty, you can see the pain on his face and almost hear him thinking:

"O dear God why do you hate me so much, that I have to coach a team of overpriced d-b's instead of a real hockey club?"

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 8, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: croftonpost | March 8, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I've tried posting an item but I keep getting a message about the item is being held for review. I have recieved that on other blogs but never on the WP site. I have also never got into trouble with WP. Anybody else getting this message?

Posted by: croftonpost | March 8, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse