Joe-Zay Thee-O-Dore and Other Stuff (Update)

First things first. For the record, Jose Theodore pronounces his name Joe-Zay Thee-O-Dore.

My first impression of the Caps' new goalie is that he's a confident, outgoing guy with a good sense of humor. Here are some of the highlights from his brief interview with reporters this afternoon at KCI.

Q: Why Washington?
A: They have the best player in the league, first of all. Washington, the last couple of years, I saw them progress so well. When I saw things weren't progressing with Cristobal [Huet], I knew there was going to be an opening. So I didn't want to sign to quickly in Denver. This was my first choice."

Q: You're almost 32, do you feel you have a lot left in the tank?
A: "I have got a lot left. I'm more experienced now. I had some bad years to really make me realize that it's easy to fall down, but then when you do get up, you just want to make sure you don't do that again. I'm stronger mentally now. I feel like I'm 22 right now, instead of [almost] 32."

Q: What do you bring to the Caps?
A: "Stop the puck - that's pretty much what I need to bring. I want to bring experience, consistency. I'm anxious to meet all of the guy and for training camp to start."

Q: Coach Bruce Boudreau's system can be pretty hard on goalies because a breakdown can result in an odd-man rush or breakaway. Are you aware of that?
A: "I'm aware of that. It just means more highlight saves for me, I guess."

I also asked Theodore why he wears No. 60. He joked that in Montreal, his first team, there are about "200" retired numbers. His first choice was 33 (but he was told that wasn't available, for obvious reasons.) His second choice was 35, but that belonged to Donald Brashear. So, basically, it was 54, 42 or 60.

Coach Bruce Boudreau and George McPhee were also available this afternoon.

I asked McPhee about the remaining RFAs--Shaone Morrisonn and Boyd Gordon. (Eric Fehr signed his qualifying offer today). McPhee said it's looking like Morrisonn will take his case to arbitration on July 24. Gordon, McPhee said, is close to re-signing.

As for injured players Brian Pothier and Chris Clark, McPhee said: Pothier "is making progress, but I don't think you can say he's going to be ready in September. I'm not sure if [Clark] is going to be ready. These are two players we'll have see where they are in September. I doubt Pothier will be ready in September and we're hopeful Clark is."

McPhee also said he still hasn't talked to Olie Kolzig.

Boudreau, meantime, dropped a few funny quotes, as usual. I asked him about Theodore and whether he's going to be able to handle the breakdowns that will inevitably occur in front of him.

"I told him we're going, so he better be ready for that one big save," Boudreau said. "If he can make that one big save, we'll be fine."

Boudreau brought this one up on his own: "We just hope to be in second place because Tampa says they're going win the division. So if we play good enough to get to second place, we'll be happy."

That, of course, is in response to this quote from Len Barrie.

I'll have a little more in tomorrow's paper.

Update:Fehr's contract is a one-year, two-way deal worth $735,000.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  July 10, 2008; 3:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: My Opening Night Lineup; Fehr Update
Next: Theodore Flashback: Stops Fan During Canadiens Practice

Comments

First.

Posted by: Husky Hockey | July 10, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I love it...Bruce taking a jab at Tampa. hahha.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | July 10, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I love BB... he's right on point!

and great quotes by JT... I love the "more great saves for me" line... that's the kinda confidence you want in a goalie.

Awesome!

Posted by: Scofield | July 10, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Have to be honest, I hate the thought of Nyls and Kozlov on the same line. Nyls will spin around in circles endlessly while Kozlov lurks in the corner and plays keep away. Neither will shoot the puck. Ever.

Posted by: Steve R | July 10, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Nice job BB, way to talk smack to Tampa.

Posted by: 828 | July 10, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

For the record, Jose pronounces his name Joe-Zay

No way, Jose

Posted by: Simon says | July 10, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

time to make someone else captain

Posted by: Jake | July 10, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

hardly sounds like encouraging news about clarkie

Posted by: Dinger | July 10, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I realise this is a very recent update but I would have thought that by the time Tarik has the news on Fehr that the caps offical site should have already been updated.

Not only does it not currently have details of Fehr signing but there is still nothing official on Feds?

As you Americans would say "Like, whoaaa, what gives, dude?" Or something like that! :)

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | July 10, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I need a good nutrition, and I'll be ok.

Posted by: clark's groin | July 10, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

You're the best Tarik.

Man, I love Gabby. That guy's awesome. What a difference between him and Wilson. This is exactly the guy to lead our guys into the Capitals' glory years. I have a good feeling about Theo's headspace too. I'm real optimistic about 08/09.

Who's at KCI?

22 minutes since the puck dropped... has Hauswirth scored yet?

@Tarik:
any chance you'd know where we could get a boxscore or analysis of these scrimmages? I assume they're keeping track of performance.

Posted by: Defense Wins Championships. | July 10, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Fed is still travelling. The gas is expensive. He left Florida yesterday, but thye didn't have enough gas in the tank. Should've borrowed it from Joe-Zay.

And w/o Feds sig on a dotted line you can't report it.

Posted by: Simon says | July 10, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

@Dave,

My first reaction was "Blimey, I hope the Wankers update the bloody site!".

Posted by: Steve R | July 10, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I am King Joe-Zay and long live the King!

Posted by: King Joe-Zay | July 10, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Steve R,

Touche! Good use of the W word.

Simon,
If the deal isn't signed then maybe it shouldn't have been reported here.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | July 10, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Coach, that was classic!!

Posted by: E | July 10, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Good attitude. Let's hope he lives up to it.

Steve, it looks like I'll be there tomorrow with the kid. I'll call you later so we can finalize some details.

Posted by: Leeguru | July 10, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

This is all well and good but where is the cap room for Gordon, Morrison, Fehr?

Posted by: bagasome | July 10, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

someone has to go. Especially if they think Clark and Pothier are coming back.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Hip Hip Jose.

Posted by: Gocaps | July 10, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

"I called and he didn't return the call," McPhee said. "It didn't have to be that way, but that's they way it went." - thats about as emotional as i've ever heard GMGM. can you imagine how that call went.

Olie's VM -"You've reached the voice mail of Olie the Goalie, if you are the GM of a hockey team in need of a goalie, please press the 5 hole. otherwise, please wait for the red light to come on a leave a message."

GMGM - "Hello, Mr. Kolzig, this is George McPhee of the Washington Capitals. In keeping with team policy, I cannot discuss my feelings right now. If you wish to talk further, please call my assistant, Morticia." click

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | July 10, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

according to www.washingtoncapitals.com Fehr has been resigned to a 1-year deal

Posted by: elicea | July 10, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

@ bagasome:

Tied up in Erskine and Jurcina's contracts, that's where.

Posted by: Ben | July 10, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Dave, I try.

Posted by: Steve R | July 10, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

The score at kettler is 1-1 both on power plays. It is currently the 1st intermission.

Posted by: king clancy kolzig | July 10, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Lee, just got a meeting sprung on me that I can't bail on. Have to be at work tomorrow %^$^* *#$^&^

Posted by: Steve R | July 10, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

@Dave,

Right, you're bloody well right!

You got a bloody right to say that.

Or something like that :-)

Posted by: Simon says | July 10, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

re-signed, not retired

Posted by: Simon says | July 10, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Simon says,

Is that Supertramp you're aiming for?

Posted by: Steve R | July 10, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

@Steve R

Well, they were British, weren't they?

Posted by: Simon says | July 10, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Wow, looks like I ask for a story on the Caps website and it appears. I didn't realise I was so influential.

How about some more:

Heidi Klum leave Seal - seen out with Dave. Mrs Dave unavailable for comment.

Man Utd sign 35 year old Dave to 4 year deal "We have been watching his performances in 5-a-side games after work" said a delighted Sir Alex Ferguson.

Peace breaks out in Middle East - it was all a big misunderstanding.

Oil price drops below 20 cents a barrel.

Rolling Stones quit touring. Jagger: "Enough is enough"

Fedorov signs.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | July 10, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Dave, put in a good word for the Mets please..

Posted by: Steve R | July 10, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

@ Capsfan1

"press the 5-hole" , "wait for the red light to come on"

LMAO :-)

hahaha... i'm now suffering from an upper body injury and could be out for an undetermined amount of time.

Posted by: Scofield | July 10, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Steve, I will absolutely nothing to do with any sporting team from NY. Simple as.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | July 10, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Excluding Pothier and Including Alzner

I have the Caps at $55,061,101 with $1,638,899 left under the cap.

That amount might cover Mo. MIGHT. If we swap out Alzner for Lepisto, that would give us an extra $975,000 which would be more than enough for Gordon.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 10, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero,

How is Alzner getting so much? Shouldn't he be on an entry level contract? Forgive my ignorance.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | July 10, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

capsfan1: def post of the week!

i really hate the pens but with this talk of winning the division from tampa (plus the melrose mullet and kolzig factors) i think i am really starting to despise them as well

Posted by: pat | July 10, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Dave,

They factor in possible bounses as the cap hit.

Bloody he@@ on the Mets. Had to try.

Posted by: Steve R | July 10, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Someone please tell Jose to wear #33 instead of #60 thats a terrible number and he said he wanted 33 anyways. Take us back to the days of the great Don Beaupre!

Posted by: bagasome | July 10, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Any more updates on the scrimmage?

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | July 10, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Why didn't we call "First Place" first...Now Tampa gets it because they called it before us.........is it GMGM fault again??? Chief????

Posted by: shot gun | July 10, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Here's a quote for Tampa and Len Barrie:

"To be the man, you have to beat the man!"

Seeing that we are the defending division champs, it looks like we ARE the "man"! At last check, Tampa was in DEAD LAST!

Posted by: Matt | July 10, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

@Dave UK

Alzner's Salary is only $875,000 but with all possible incentive bonuses (Calder, etc) it gets up to $1,675,000. For salary cap hits, all possible bonuses must be factored in. In past seasons, teams could exceed the Cap to pay bonuses, but can't this year because it is technically the final season of the CBA until the NHLPA re-ups.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 10, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

@Dave UK

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 10, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

DaveUK
Cap Number is salary + ALL BONUSES. Alzner is 800k salary and another 800k bonuses, most of which probably say "If he wears Red White Blue, he gets X00k more."

Ben and the rest of the crew.

REMOVING ERSKINE AND JURCINA MAKES OUR CAP SITUATION WORSE!

Please understand this as it is pivotal to the cap discussion.

ALZNER: 1.6M
Lepisto: 700+a bag of pucks
Juice: 800+ bag of pucks
Erskine: 500+bag of pucks.

REMOVING JUICE+ERSKINE does not make way for Alzner+Lepisto. If you think Lepisto is better than Juice or Skine, we'll never agree on anything.

The Cap room comes from Pothier and Clark LTIR. Also, Fehr and Laing will be in Hershey cause they don't have to go through waivers yet to be there. That's 1M freed up there to cover Mo and Gordo.

If Clark can go in Sep, I'd be looking for Nyls to be traded or Gordo to be cut/traded.

Posted by: FFS Enough | July 10, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Give Len Barrie a break. Its hot in FL and he had obviously been out in the sun for too long at lunchtime.

A nice cold towel and a lie down and he'll be fine.

"Ssshhhhhh Len, ssshhhhhh, it's ok, it's going to be fine......"

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | July 10, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Matt,

Right now the Bolts are tied for first. Let them dream, it's the closest they're going to get.

Posted by: Steve R | July 10, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Steve, Sombrero & FFS, cheers for the clarification lads.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | July 10, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

-Jose should play for San Jose
-St. Louis, obviously, for St. Louis
-Paul Ranger should be traded to Rangers
-Satan to Devils

Am I missing something?

-Finger to Leafs

?

Posted by: Simon says | July 10, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Bwahahahahhaha Boudreau's comments about Tampa were classic! Also looks like Joe-Zay has some good confidence now, that's good for a goalie. I also like Bruce's "we're going" comment. I'm really excited for training camp, it can't come soon enough.

There's a lot of line combos floating around, but in Bruce we trust, he'll make it work. It also looks like the Caps will have to do some trimming of the roster to make it under the cap. It will be an interesting camp indeed.

Wish I could make it to KCI this week to meet some of you guys, but the grind has me.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | July 10, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't see Nyls being traded, especially with his NTC. He could always waive it, but I think he'll be kept.

I think Gordo could get traded if he accepts his qualifying offer

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 10, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

See what happens when you take an afternoon nap... you miss out on so much... no more Kostanza's for me...

Posted by: JSchon | July 10, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I think Josie should wear #74......he is twice the goalie that olie is/was....sorry I know its a low blow......

Posted by: Low Blow | July 10, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

lets nip this in the bud NOW: NO HIP HIP JOSE!!!!!!!!! The Hip Hip Huet thing was really annoying!!!

Posted by: doughless | July 10, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Update from kettler - the home team (aka the blue team/group b) is up 2-1. It is currently 2nd intermission.

Neuvirth is not playing - however he is sitting in the stands with a dip cup. Also perrault is not playing in this scrimmage either

Posted by: kck | July 10, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Thee-O-Dore? Really? I keep hearing it pronounced Tay-O-Dore. I appreciate the clarification, Tarik!

@FFSEnough: Erskine kind of stinks. He's a good back-up bruiser if Donald isn't available, but he can't clear the puck out of the defensive zone to save his life. If one of the new kids looks more promising, I say make it happen.

Posted by: joyfulleigh18 | July 10, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Is it Tear-eek or Tear-ick?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I though Lepisto has a broken wrist. I amnot sure he will be ready to play openeing day.

Posted by: Caps fan in Edmonton | July 10, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

What's the schedule look like tomorrow? I just found out I don't have to go into work until 12, I'm trying to find out if there's a practice I could catch or something.

Also is anyone involved in the Adult 3v3 leagues for summer at Kettler? I'll be playing my first game at forward in 12 years tomorrow, anyone else doing this summer thing?

Posted by: CapsCorndog | July 10, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: doughless | July 10, 2008 5:00 PM
-------------------------------------------

I agree, it should be "Jose can you see" at the start of the national anthem. It also overrides those O's fans who forget D.C. has its own team now.

Posted by: Joe B | July 10, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Okay, just recovering from Olie's phone message. When the red light comes on leave a message. Just too funny.

How about Theo, Theo, Theo (kinda like how in Detroit they cheer Ozzie, Ozzie). I like the karma in copying a Detroit goalie with new found confidence theme.

Posted by: Kim | July 10, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

how about a good old fashioned chant like

"Joe-Zay Thee-o-door!" [Clap Clap Clap-Clap-Clap] "Joe-Zay Thee-o-door!" [Clap Clap Clap-Clap-Clap] etc.

Posted by: Ben | July 10, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Jose is hot, hot, hot, hot. Hey girls, who do you think is hottest on the Caps. Jose is my new favorite Cap. How about you.

Posted by: Stacy | July 10, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

The scrimmage went to a shootout

Posted by: kck | July 10, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Just watched the little Jose video on Caps page. One thing stood out to me. He said that Ovie called him from Russia the day he signed.

It is official, Alex Ovechkin is by far and large the most wonderful thing to happen to the NHL in a long time.

Oh, and to not fully fall into the puckbunny category... @Stacy it is harder to think of a Cap that is not hot than to decide who is the hottest.

Posted by: Kim | July 10, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I ranted on pronunciation of Theodore's name back when he was with the Avs:

I'm still not sure why people think it's Hosay Tayadore.

Posted by: Shane | July 10, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

So Kim, do you think it is unnatural for a team leader to call a new addition to a team upon his signing?

It happens everywhere. I read in an article that Hatcher called Biron and Briere upon them signing their contracts congratulating them. So does that make him the best thing to happen to the NHL? No, it makes him a locker room leader

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Shane, I appreciate the passion, but I think you got part of that wrong. The reason his last name is pronounced THEE-o-dore is because his father is an anglophone. (His mother is a francophone.) It's how the name is pronounced in English and has nothing to do with the difference between French and Spanish, as it does with his first name.

Posted by: norske | July 10, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

@Corn

I am supposed to try the whole 3 on 3 thing out in the next few weeks. It'll be interesting, given that I suck at skating, but I'm looking forward to it.

Posted by: 121 | July 10, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

@ FFS Enough:

Getting rid of both Erskine and Jurcina frees up $1.3 million + 2 bags of pucks. That leaves room for either Alzner OR Lepisto. And realistically, I don't think we'll be seeing both in the lineup this year.

Good call with the Clark LTIR. I doubt it will happen, though. What are the rules for coming off of that?? Is there a minimum time frame?

Posted by: Ben | July 10, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I did not realize that there was another post.

Wanted to do one more post about the game. White tied the score with less than a minute left on a beautiful pinch in and pass by Alzner.

The shootout went I'd say around 10 players deep on each team but again, #42 Hauswirth sealed the deal on a nice top corner shoot out goal.

Hey Tarik,

Can you see about this kid? Why on earth did this guy go undrafted and what is the story on getting this kid in the organization? 6'4 and 200 plus pounds, he is a monster and has been by far the best player in the scrimmages.

Posted by: Repost Roger #94 | July 10, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

@ everybody anonymous

Here's an idea. Give yourself a name. Especially if all you have to contribute is to insult, demean or condescend to a poster who does have a name. And to be honest, and maybe sexist, when the object of your unaccountable hostility is a chick, I have even more contempt for you. You suck, stealth tools.

Sincerely,
Defense Wins Championships.

Posted by: Defense Wins Championships. | July 10, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

@ everybody anonymous

Sincerely,
Defense Wins Championships.

Posted by: Defense Wins Championships. | July 10, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Ben

By removing Skin and Juice, you free up 1.3 a bag of pucks and an empty Olympia Propane tank as you said. HOWEVER you have 2 spots on the D you have to replace.

Our top two D prospects in the system cost 2.3M and eight bags of pucks.

Hell, even losing Juice and Skine doesn't make enough room for Alzner.

We have very little cap space left. Just enough for Mo. Gordo will put us over the cap but that's OK for offseason. Caps will go 10% over this offseason by signing Gordo to a deal. Gordo is Clark insurance. If Clark's ready, Gordo is gone. If Clark can't go LTIR for him and Gordo eats that cash (or Fehr gets clark's spot, his 700k moves to our cap number and gordo is still gone).

The way LTIR works is, you get cap relief for the player's cap number, BUT if they come back, you have to make room for that player.

Odds are, we'll have some more injuries during the season. Nyls, Feds... A Dman. We need the depth we have.

Posted by: FFS Enough | July 10, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

@ Shotgun

If only that guy who likes to write "First" on top of every new Tarik post could have helped you out...where was he when you needed him.

"Why didn't we call "First Place" first...Now Tampa gets it because they called it before us.........is it GMGM fault again???"

Posted by: Stormblue | July 10, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Fehr will be playing in Hershey a lot this year. That's too bad, he looked really ready to make the next step, but thats a product of being stacked.

My line-up...

1st line
Ovechkin/Backstrom/Kozlov - dont mess with it, it was amazing during the year and Kozlov is ineffective anywhere else.
OV - 69G 51A
Backstrom - 12G 77A
Kozlov - 16G 32A

2nd line
Semin/Fedorov/Laich - This line is based on not having a checking line.
Semin 37G 37A
Fedorov 20G 47A
Laich 24G 30A

3rd line
Flash/Nylander/Clark or Fehr - Again, this isnt a checking line, its a scoring line.
Flash 18G 25A
Nylander 11G 46A
Clark 14G 27A
Fehr 8G 17A

if we decide we need a checking line...
3rd line
Laich/Fedorov/Clark

2nd line
Semin/Nylander/Fehr

4th line - its set in stone
Brashear/Steckel/Bradley - Gordon, if not traded, plays for all at some point during the season.

PP1
OV/Fed/Green/Backstrom/Laich

PP2
OV/Semin/Poti/Nylander/Kozlov

Blueline

Green/Morrisonn
Green 22G 49A
Morrisonn 2G 21A

Poti/Alzner - both are L, but what can you do?
Poti 6G 28A
Alzner 4G 28A

Schultz/Jurcina
Schultz 5G 20A
Jurcina 2G 15A

Goalies

Theodore 38W 24L .913SV% 2.43GAA
Johnson 13W 7L .909SV% 2.46GAA

OV - Hart, Pearson, Richard... no Ross
Green - Finalist for the Norris

All-Stars
OV/Green/Backstrom

We win SE Conference with 107 points.
2nd place in Conference.

New Jersey 109pts
Washington 107pts
Montreal 106pts
Pittsburgh 103pts
Boston 99pts
Philadelphia 96pts
Ottawa 95pts
New York Ranger 95pts

Washington vs New Jersey Conference Finals
We lose 4-2, Brodeur stands on his head one last time.

San Jose 4-1 over NJ...

Posted by: JSchon | July 10, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Gezz Jschon....

What will I be doing in 10 years? Hot wife, white picket fence? Please tell me!!!!!!

Posted by: Roger #94 | July 10, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Gezz Jschon....

Posted by: Roger #94 | July 10, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon:

You left out Tampa Bay!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | July 10, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I still stand by my statement. Even though some anonymous folks think I am all wet. Hatcher calling Briere and Biron is cool, but Hatcher is not exactly a star across the league. (And I still like his brother better).

The NHL MVP calling a guy who is coming into a situation knowing he was not the first choice and showing support - that shows commitment, smarts, team attitude, etc. It was my way of saying, that once again, Alex does something to solidify how Great #8 really is.

Hope to make it out on Friday. Really want to see what is going on and get my hockey fix.

Posted by: Kim | July 10, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

So JSchon, who do we beat to get to the finals?

Posted by: Kim | July 10, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Just in case you missed it on the TB Blog. They quoted Coach B.

Posted by: Greg S. | July 10, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

JSchon...the Devils? Really? Its Holik, isn't it? You've been seeing him behind our back. I joke of course, but for real? The Devils. I'm yawning just thinking about it.
I love some of the TB comments.
I get my first trip to KCI on Saturday! Anybody suggest a time to get there for the scrimmage based on how packed its been??

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | July 10, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

This is primarily for Sombrero but it will give some good info nonetheless.

This has been bugging me for weeks. Some people here like to use NHLSCAP.COM for their salary cap info. Some use NHLNUMBERS.COM.

Personally, I like NHLNUMBERS. It's presentation is better. But I wanted to give an analysis of what they each have listed to give us a real idea where we stand.

NHLSCAP has us listed right now as -467k of cap space.

NHLNUMBERS has us listed with 1.180M cap space, but does not yet have Fehr's contract listed. While it does list "Bonus Cusion" it does not count it in the cap calculation. NHLNUMBERS would list us with 448k of space with Fehr's contract.

Other Differences:
NHLSCAP: Lists Giroux + Alzner, Does not list Schultz and Laing. A difference of 0.913 of cap space, with NHLSCAP listing lower space left (higher payroll).

So, to me, the difference is in some assumptions that are being made by NHLSCAP. They are assuming Schultz and Laing will be in Hershey, and Alzner and some scrub named Giroux will be with the Caps.

NHLNUMBERS also makes the assumption that Laing will be with the Caps.

Both assume Fehr will be with the Caps. Both assume Pothier and Clark can play.

Now, if things go the way I see them going. Those of you paying attention know what's coming:
Fehr, Alzner, Giroux, Laing in Hershey.
Removing those numbers from both lists we now have 1.67M of cap space to squeeze Mo and Gordo into.

For the sake of the pre-season, we can go 10% over. What I see the caps doing is trying to give Mo all 1.67 and Gordo whatever he deserves UNDER clark's 2.633M.

IF Clark can go, Gordo has to find a new home in either Hershey or with another team. IF we OVERPAY Gordon, that means there is less of a chance of him being scooped up on Waivers and we can send him to Hershey being the first C callup.

IF Clark can't go, Gordo gets his spot as a 3rd line W.

That's all I have now. Hope this clears up some confusion between the two.

Posted by: FFS Enough | July 10, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

FFS Enough has hit on one of my major PO issues. You can't trust these stats. A few weeks ago I listed the Caps players that were listed as Centers. I think we had 3 RW and 4 LW with 197 C's. OK, it wasn't quite that high, but you get my drift.

I also looked at NHLSCAP and NHLNumbers and found them different in significant ways. I tried to get the U/RFA's into a spreadsheet with their last salaries. Did that fine, but then went to bounce that against another database from the SAME SITE and came up with different positions, teams, and people on one but not the other lists.

REally frosts my shorts!

Posted by: Greg S. | July 10, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I've decided to go to the practice tomorrow. I'll be with my son. Me in my goatee looking relaxed, maybe sucking down a brew.

Posted by: Greg S. | July 10, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

i recommend y'all head over to the tampa message board that greg s. linked above. i just put in my two cents. some real winners down there...

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | July 10, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

@Kim,

I am with you per your comments about OV calling Jose. OV is class! As soon as he heard about Jose being signed, he made positive comments to the press. And, when the Caps lost to Phila and had the after game handshakes, OV said something to every Phila player. Not just a head nod. I can't think of anytime in four (?) years that OV has done anything less than class.

Posted by: Dezlboy | July 10, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | July 10, 2008 4:13 PM

Someone has to start a wall of hilarity where we can keep the really good stuff, the gems, like the one above. That still has me chuckling. 5 hole, in keeping with team policy, red light messages, absolutely inspired. Well done, Cap Fan 1, well done!

Hey JSCHON, what's in a Kostanza?

Posted by: oo7 | July 10, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Scrimmage report

I visited KCI for the first time today. It was awesome to sit a few feet from the glass and experience hockey up close in July! However, if you visit, bring a sweatshirt ... it's cold in there.

The scrimmage was excellent. The action really picked up in the third period ... it was 2-1 after two periods ... the White team rallied from 3-1 down to tie the game. The Blue team went ahead with about two minutes left; the White team pulled the goalie and scored with about 40 seconds left to send the game into a shootout, which went about eight rounds before the Blue team won.

Osala impressed me early on with his hustle for the puck and he made several nice passes. His best play was midway through the third period when he outraced a defenseman from center ice to touch the puck and negate an icing. Seconds later, Osala had the puck back on his stick and he scored. My humble opinion: Osala was the best player on the ice today.

Butler scored a nice tying goal for the White team with some nifty stick work, slicing through two defenseman from the left circle before scoring.

Varlamov had a couple of nice saves during the first half of the game.

Pinizzotto not only likes to score; the guy can hit too. He shoved Seabrook to the ice while fighting for the puck, then he pinballed off another defender in the corner.

Posted by: Caps fan in TN (but in MD right now) | July 10, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Greg

I am not so much concerned with the positions. Hell, even the NHL couldn't get it right near the end of the season with defen"c"emen goals.

I have more of a pet peeve with TSN's spelling of DEFENCE.

I just wanted to highlight the inconsistencies between both sites. All the numbers matched, just assumptions about roster was the major issue.

Posted by: FFS Enough | July 10, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Where will Osala likely play this year? Any ideas?

Posted by: Caps fan in TN (but in MD right now) | July 10, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy

You trust McKensie to know how to read a CBA agreement? Its the most convoluted, mind numbing thing to read, and I used to write and negotiate construction and research contracts.

The CBA does have an NHLPA option to terminate 120 days prior to September 19, 2009. Now, why they didn't say May 22 is beyond me, but there it is.

Any amount of bonus paid to players counts against the cap and can be applied to the next league year (actually reduces the club's cap below the league's established cap) if there is insufficient room in the current year.

The 7.5% cushion allowed in the cap for bonuses does have a mitigating year. Page 235 of the CBA says that for the 2009-2010 year the performance bonuses will be counted against the limit for that year with no carry over, unless the NHLPA doesn't terminate the agreement on May 22 in which case the 08-09 league will be treated as an averaged salary in excess of 7.5%.

*pop*

I don't really see the difference until NEXT year, but I'm just some schmuck trying to read an unreadable document.

Posted by: Greg S. | July 10, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

FFS Enough

That's a Canadian "thing". They like to misspell words to be different from us. They'll eventually get over it. :)

Posted by: Greg S. | July 10, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Caps fan in TN (MD):

Tim Leone of the Harrisburg Patriot-news on the Osala issue.

Posted by: uncatim | July 10, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I may be uncatim, but I am not Tim Leone. I don't get paid for writing about hockey. I barely get paid for my job.

Posted by: uncatim | July 10, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

so i read through the comments on the TB blog in reference to the Boudreau comment. they sound a little bitter and not very confident in their team. cant wait till we destroy them in the season series.

Posted by: andy | July 10, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think they'll have a tough time getting the puck out of their zone.

Posted by: Greg S. | July 10, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

We love putting "C"s where they don't belong. Which could be why we've got more "centres" then anything else. We also put "U"s in everywhere. I still have a hard time writing behavio(u)r and labo(u)r and I've lived in the States longer than I did Canada!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | July 10, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see Osala isn't afraid to drop the gloves. Why isn't Osala mentioned in the two- and three-year plans of the Capitals ... or have I not been listening?

Posted by: Caps fan in TN (but in MD right now) | July 10, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Fehr would only be worth 65-70k tops at my company. I dont have a problem with his salary though.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

I used to get razzed by my Canadian clients about dates, too. It's not that they use the DD/MM/YYYY like the military or normal europeans, instead of the traditional (U.S.) MM/DD/YYYY. They do YYYY/MM/DD. At least they did in Alberta and Saskatchewan

Posted by: Greg S. | July 10, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

@ Caps fan from TN

Love the comments, wish I would have gotten to meet you. Yesterday there was 5 or 6 of us on the balcony having beers.

But i can't believe you didn't not #42 in your report. He was amazing today as well as yesterday. Had a goal and finished the shootout. I like #90 as well but that #42 is a beast. I have been to both scrimmages and he has been by far the best player on the ice except for Varlomov who needs no praise.

Posted by: Roger #94 | July 10, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Yup! I learned it that way too! So today is actually 08/07/10.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | July 10, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

So with the current exchange rate & the difference between Canadian & U.S. date nomenclature; how many days after Labour Day does the NHL season begin?

Posted by: uncatim | July 10, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

@FFS Enough and Greg S

I actually took the salary cap numbers and made my own spread sheet, so that way I could play with different scenarios and have the totals calculated automatically. If you'd like a copy e-mail me at blwiseass at yahoo dot com

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 10, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S

RE: not trusting Bob McKenzie...you make a good point but I have seen the same points made by other journalists. McKenzie's was just the one I could easily find.

It is my understanding that If the NHLPA re-ups tomorrow, then the cushion would be back in place. If they wait until the end of the season, then no bonus cushion

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 10, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

NHLPA Executive Director Paul Kelly said they probably would not have new agreement until mid-season. I guess that means a bonus cushion is unlikely?

Posted by: uncatim | July 10, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Per Tarik's update on Fehr's Salary, i have a new team cap number of $54,956,101

which leaves us $1,743,889 to spend.

My cap number includes Alzner, gives s the LTI exception for Pothier essentially taking his cap number out of the equation, and includes the Clymer buy out.

21 Players included in my number:
Ovechkin, Green, Nylander, Semin, Theodore, Fedorov, Poti, Clark, Kozlov, Backstrom, Laich, Alzner, Brashear, Bradley, Jurcina, Johnson, Schultz, Fehr, Fleischman, Steckel, Erskine.

players left to sign: Mo and Gordo for a full 23 man roster.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 10, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

@ Roger

Good point about #42 (Hauswirth). I plead guilty to paying more attention to the White Team's players at the scrimmage today.

I had a great time at the KCI. It was worth the 90-minute drive from Hagerstown to be there.

It'd be great to meet some of the Capitals Insider bloggers. I don't post as frequently as some of the "big names" on here, but I visit Capitals Insider three, four times a day. (OK, I lie. It's more like 15, 20 visits a day. Haha.)

I miss living in Maryland, but I'm probably one of a very few Capitals fans in Tennessee who subscribe to Center Ice. Gotta represent!

Posted by: Caps fan in TN (but in MD right now) | July 10, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy:

Your data beg the inevitable question: How much is left if you take out Flash's cash?

Posted by: uncatim | July 10, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

uncatim, Tuesday! lol, you pose a tricky question to which I have no answer. However, if I'm not mistaken, the answer might depend on the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow. Or in this case, the airspeed velocity of an unladen Gary Bettman. Just my thought... :-D

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | July 10, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Thanks jmu capsgirl! I hope I never have to see an unladen Gary Bettman.

Posted by: uncatim | July 10, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

i didn't say undressed! :O although for some reason it makes me think that somewhere there's a "Bettman-apult" hmmmm.....

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | July 10, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Flash is only making 725K each of the next two years, so his cap number is the same as his salary, 725K. If you take Flash out, and you sign Gordon and Mo you only have 22 players on the roster.

Corey at the times speculated that the Caps might start the season with only 20 players on the roster, essentially eliminating or minimizing healthy scratches. Since the Cap is calculated daily, every day you don't have a player on the roster gives you a little extra money to work with down the road.

That's why teams can pick up big contracts at the end of the season that would put them OVER the cap over the course of the season, but because they're only on the hook for the last month and a half they can stay under the cap ceiling.

If we did start with less than a full roster, Fehr would be a Hershey candidate for the start of the season since he can be sent down without going through waivers. Not sure who else other than Alzner is eligible for that.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 10, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Sombrero Guy.

Posted by: uncatim | July 10, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Jmu,

Well done with tying Monty Python into the thread.

Posted by: Steve R | July 10, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

I tried :\... Glad somebody caught it.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | July 10, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Man, I am embarassed. I spent much of the 1970s at the old Biograph & Key theaters in Georgetown watching Monty Python movies but that flew past me. Must be time to adjust my medication.

Posted by: uncatim | July 10, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

haha, its okay. I probably just need to go to bed. I've got a business plan to present tomorrow so I can go watch hockey Saturday.

To anybody who's been to camp so far,
How early should I be there to get a view of the ice and not the back of somebody? (I'm a tad bit short) And how many more layers of clothing does KCI require than the VC?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | July 10, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Gezz Jschon....What will I be doing in 10 years? Hot wife, white picket fence?

Posted by: LOL | July 10, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

JT is going to make forget Olie & Huet quickly.
This guy wants to be here for longer than 2 years.
Mike Palmateer anyone?

Posted by: Victor | July 11, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

@ jmu_capsgirl

No way to know how big the crowd will be on Saturday ... there was at most 150-200 there on Thursday for the scrimmage. And most of the crowd had cleared out by the third period. I'd guess if you're there 30 minutes early on Saturday you'll have plenty of seating to pick from.

Definitely bring an extra sweatshirt (or two). Or else ... you could always buy up all the leftover Kolzig and Huet T-shirts on sale at KCI. :)

Posted by: Caps fan in TN (but in MD right now) | July 11, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

@jmu

Tuesday the bleachers were 1/5 full, Wednesday 1/3 to 1/2 full.

Roger said they closed off the balcony today, so if all those folks had to sit on the bleachers and the crowd was comparable, it was prob 2/3 full. Saturday prob standing room only. Puck drops at 10:30, so if you get there at 9 you prob wont have to fight for glass seats.

Just a guess. I might be wrong.

So you used to live in Canada? You prob won't need too many layers. Especially with all that body heat. The heat put off by the small army of spastic children will likely have the KCI temp in the low 90s (beating on the glass, stomping on the bleachers, setting each other on fire and eating batteries...that was my experience Wed).

With no crowd to moderate the temp, KCI would prob be in the mid-50s. A light jacket is enough.

Personally, I love it. I can't stand mid-atlantic summers.

Posted by: Defense Wins Championships. | July 11, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

If Osala was to make the team I assume he would be on an entry level contract.

What are the chances (and numbers) of us signing Mo and Gordo, trading Flash and replacing him with Osala as 3rd line LW?

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | July 11, 2008 4:32 AM | Report abuse

Thanks TN and Defense! Looking forward to some hockey!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | July 11, 2008 7:20 AM | Report abuse

jmu capsgirl:

I'm glad you will be able to make it Sat. Watch #53.

Posted by: uncatim | July 11, 2008 7:36 AM | Report abuse

I have been to a couple of practices and both scrimmages.

I think Saturday is going to be packed -- there is an equipment sale in the morning which is open to season ticket holders and then the general public. I think that all the people who weren't able to make it out during the week will make it out on Saturday.

The balcony was closed yesterday for a Caps Staff party to watch the scrimmage but I imagine it will be open tomorrow.

As for the temperature -- if you are naturally someone who gets cold easily, bring a sweatshirt. KCI gets COLD - regardless of bodies. I am naturally someone who enjoys the cold and by the third period, I am usually freezing.

FYI - even though this is a scrimmage -- it is a full 20 minute period with a 15 -20 minute intermission. So plan to be at Kettler for about 2 hours.

Posted by: KCK | July 11, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Sombrero

The Waiver-exclusion rules are a bit murky. Laing may have to clear before going to Hershey, so he might be our healthy scracth each night. Something about being 25+ and no longer being waiver-exempt.

Your cap #s jive with mine, as they should. Where the confusion will lie is if there is a bonus cusion/Alzner's status. I would hate to see this team do to a defender/fwd what happened to Emmy last year. I would rather play with 0 healthy scratches and just have guys ready at a moments notice to join the team whenever we need them.

Looking at the rosters and waiver eligibility I think Fehr and Backstrom are the only players that qualify for waiver exemption. I've been assuming Laing would be exempt but he's 30. no dice.

Posted by: FFS Enough | July 11, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

DaveUK
I would find it really strange if the team were to give a guy a mid-season contract extension then trade him before the start of the next season.

This team believes in Flash. He's probably going to be on a short leash this season because, as we all know, we have a logjam of talent in Hershey and hopefully we'll see Fehr, Bourque and Osala given a chance soon. But again, our roster's pretty much set this year.

Posted by: FFS Enough | July 11, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Sombrero Guy

I had a couple of spreadsheets with all of the teams salaries and another with all of the stats, got them all sorted and listed correctly, tried to do a VLOOKUP to link the two spreadsheets and got wacked out results. I went into each sheet and found that the players were listed at different positions, some weren't on the same team on the two tables.

What I wanted to do is to find U/RFA D-men with decent stats at some reasonable value without having to go through team by team which is what I ended up doing anyway.

Anyway, time to get ready to go to Kettler. Who all will be there?

Posted by: Greg S. | July 11, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

FFS,
I see where you are coming from but people are talking about trading Koz or Nyls (even though he has a NTC) so is it too much of a stretch of imagination to think Flash may go? I think it's certainly more likely than Koz or Nyls going.

Yes the team gave Flash a contract extension but he did little after that to suggest he had earned it. Osala has had greater development since that point, winning the Finnish Calder, and brings more presence.

Third line of Osala/Feds/Fehr would be interesting.

Finally, as I stated a few days back, if Clark isn't skating yet I can't see him being back.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | July 11, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I've been following the blog mostly on my phone during the commute so haven't posted much...

I really hope that Chief is not employed in some kind of managerial capacity because how much would it suck to have him as a boss?

McPhee is one of the most intelligent and level headed GMs in the NHL, but to see that one has to be intelligent and level headed him / herself. Some of the commenters on this blog who have been trashing him are obviously not in possession of these qualities.

I was as big a fan of Huet as they come. Even before he came here. However, he wanted too much money and we got a guy who's every bit as good. I've read some comments about Theodore flopping in last year's playoffs. People who posted those should refrain from ever posting here again as their credibility when it comes to hockey knowledge will never recover. Theodore was the only reason Colorado made it to the 2nd round. He played brilliantly behind a team ravaged by injuries. To expect him to stand up to the Red Wings, which let's face it, was by far the best team in the NHL is plain ridiculous. He did what he could against a truly great team.

The Red Wings could have easily swept the Pens in the finals, if you were paying attention. The Wings dominated even the games that they ended up losing and the Pens pretty much rolled over the Eastern Conference. Detroit made them look like a bunch of rookies.

Chief and a few others also said that our team will be no better than last year. Again, that's retarded. Once Boudreau took over the Caps finished with the 4th best record in the NHL from that point on. Here's the thing though. Boudreau did not have either Clark or Nylander at his disposal. Now he will. That's like adding two very good players to the roster. Fedorov was here only for the stretch run. Having him in addition to Clark and Nylander from the start of the season already makes us a much better, much deeper team.

Also, from what I've seen and read Karl Alzner looks like a player that will at least contribute this season, and at best will be a candidate for rookie of the year. Also, when people are discussing our defensive options everyone seems to have forgotten how well Sami Lepisto played when he was called up last season. There's no doubt in my mind that he's NHL ready and I'd like to see him get a real shot at making the Caps from the start. He's certainly light years ahead of Erskine in every aspect of the game aside from physical presence.

Last, but not least. We'll have Bruce from the start of the season. Yes, he'll be starting from the same pole position as every other coach, not 3 laps behind. Pardon the racing analogy. I, for one, am excited about the upcoming season.

Posted by: ranndino | July 11, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

There is no way we're trading Koz or Nyls. They're both too good to trade. People just haven't seen it, just as it took me awhile to realize that looking at the stats and concentrating on their play, they're quite good.

I wish that Pothier would pull the plug already. I don't want to sound crass or anything, but not being able to get out of bed for 4 days is a strain on the family as well as him.

Clark should be on LTIR. He won't be back until after the holidays, I think.

Posted by: Greg S. | July 11, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Forgot to mention. People who constantly ask for pictures and videos from the development camp... what was the last time you visited the official Caps site? One thing I love, love, love about the Caps is how good their internet coverage is. Not only this blog, but the multimedia section of their site.

Oh, and one more thing. Listen to the interviews with Theodore and Alzner. The Caps have got the buzz around the NHL as one of the most exciting teams to play for. Players wanna come here now. Don't underestimate the fun aspect. Everyone wants to make money, but everyone also wants to have fun at their job. We're now known as perhaps the most fun workplace in the NHL. On and off the ice. Mostly thanks to Boudreau and Ovechkin. Their enthusiasm and love for the game is infectious. And they both look like they're constantly in dreamland and can't believe they get to do this for a living.

Posted by: ranndino | July 11, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

So glad the guys on Hockey This Morning on XM got ahold of that Jose interview. They have been calling him TAYODORE for the entire season..

Posted by: Jordan | July 11, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Jo-Zay TEE-O-Dore... Clap Clap ClapClapClap

Posted by: The Chant | July 11, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

@randino

You're too quick to dismiss many bloggers as "dumb" and "unenthusiastic". The team is obviously stronger because of experience, but experience alone can buy you only that much if the talent is not there. Are you denying that we needed a D-man? With a very few exceptions, everybody is excited anyway about the upcoming season.

"constantly ask for pictures and videos from the development camp"
I didn't see all these requests. I love HolyOlie pics. They deliver something that official pics don't imho.

Posted by: mauree | July 11, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Those sets, one more time, are here and here!

Ok, ok... enough shameless self-promotion. Thanks for the ego-boost, mauree.

Posted by: HolyOlie | July 11, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

@ randino

As for the caps site having a ton of multimedia...

If you havent noticed, the NHL has taken control of all teams websites and the setups are similar same across the league. Each team has similar multimedia such as the cribs feature, behind the scenes, tours of practice facilities, pictures..etc...

So if you want to call people "dumb," please inform yourself before making comments as well.

Posted by: Tommmy | July 11, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm planning to take my boys to the scrimmage at Kettler on Saturday morning. Does someone have the numbers of the key players to watch, like Alzner, Osala, Carlson, Varlamov, etc.? And what's the deal on this #42 guy I've been reading about? Thanks!

Posted by: HockeyBob | July 11, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

HockeyBob,

Here's a link to an image of the full roster. There should be a stack of them on the desk between the two rinks. Try to get there early... it's going to be pretty crowded judging by the level of online chatter.

Posted by: HolyOlie | July 11, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Does Fehr have to clear waivers to go back to Hershey? What about Laing?

Posted by: wanax | July 11, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I WAS planing on making it tomorrow but I have family flying in for my grandmother's 88th birthday. I would skip it for the playoffs, but can't justify skipping out on family for Development camp and fanfest. Ah well. Maybe next year.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 11, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

well heck -- since we are shamelessly promoting ourselves.

I took a couple of pictures myself.

Posted by: KCK | July 11, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

@Sombrero Guy

Just bring your grandmother and family with you. Now that's a family outing. They are supposed to have a moonbounce and everything. The old "two birds with one stone" thing. :)

Posted by: Mark | July 11, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

They have a snack bar -- I am sure they would store your grandma's birthday is the freezer!

Posted by: KCK | July 11, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Oops - They would store her birthday CAKE in the freezer!

Posted by: KCK | July 11, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Maybe if you get lucky they'll store your grandma in the freezer too.

Posted by: Jordan | July 11, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

haha all excellent ideas (excluding having the birthday in the freezer) but the 3 hour round trip to Ketler from my parent's house and the promise of steamed crabs would make it hard to convince everyone.

I'll see everyone at training camp though.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 11, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Bring your sombrero.

I was at the game when you got to play the game on the big screen. It was the card game, right?

Posted by: Jordan | July 11, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

@KCK, HoyOlie

you rock guys - this is priceless for people (like me) that can't go.

Posted by: mauree | July 11, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

@Jordan

Nope, i was just picked as a wendy's fan of the game, and given a little prize pack. I didn't get to play any fun games, but I did get a Nylander signed puck, Capitals Mr Potato head and Langway blood drive bobblehead.

And don't worry, The Sombrero travels to all Capitals events with me, unless something makes it logistically impossible.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 11, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

"The team is obviously stronger because of experience, but experience alone can buy you only that much if the talent is not there."

GIVE IT UP MAUREE, GM DID A GREAT JOB, THE TEAM LOOKS GREAT, WERE GOING TO BE BETTER THAN LAST YEAR, AND WE HAVE PLENTY OF TALENT. PLENTY. STOP WHINING. NO ONE CALLED YOU 'DUMB'. SHEEEESH, YOUR FEELINGS ARE MORE FRAGILE THAN A FABERGE EGG.

Posted by: take down the orpik poster | July 11, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

@Sombrero,

Oh right right. We have a lot of winners here!

Posted by: Jordan | July 11, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

haha I never had that poster. As I said, the team is indeed stronger. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure how we could have added a strong D-man AND sign Fed. Overall GM did a good job, considering the good D prospects we have.

I'm still standing by my opinion, I'm sorry if it's annoying to many.

Posted by: mauree | July 11, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

JO-ZAY TEE-o-DORE CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP
JO-ZAY TEE-o-DORE CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP

Huet folded on us like a French Soldier.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

@previously KH

King Theo doesn't sound bad :D

Posted by: mauree | July 11, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, plus Huet hasn't been a king in a long time..

Posted by: Jordan | July 11, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Man I cant wait for the Alvin in the Chipmunks song on the big screen...

Alvin (Ovechkin)
Simon (Semin)
Theodore!

DO DO DODODODO DO DO DODODODODO

Posted by: MetalCap | July 11, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

BTW Feaster is out of TB per tsn

Posted by: MetalCap | July 11, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure how we could have added a strong D-man AND sign Fed.

Because Feds is D-man, and an awesome one, he is the center and an awesome one, and he was a wing in Russian 5 in Detroit and he didnt' look too shabby either.

You guys maybe don't remember, but his slap shot on one of All star was like over 100 mph. Better than Zdeno Chara's. Unfortunately he doesn't use it much. Maybe playing with Ovechkin will change that.

Posted by: Simon says | July 11, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"King Theo doesn't sound bad"

What about King Karl (Alzner)?

Posted by: KCK | July 11, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Look what I've found!

Fedorov can shoot the puck at 101.5 mph and he doesn't use it!

2000 NHL Skills Competition
Shooting Accuracy (targets/shots)
Team: World (13/28)
Individual: Viktor Kozlov, World and Ray Bourque, North America (4/5)

2002 NHL Skills Competition
Hardest Shot
Team: North America (Avg. 95.0 mph: Iginla,
Thornton, Chelios, Blake)
Individual: Sergei Fedorov, World (101.5 mph)

source: http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0902436.html

Posted by: King Joe-Zay | July 11, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

So yesterday the NHL and KHL announce that they won't go after each other's players, and today Radulov bolts overseas with one year remaining on his contract.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | July 11, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

With what JSchon said earlier do you still think Semin can get a Semin hattrick?

Posted by: CA Caps Fan | July 11, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero,

The one I'm worried about jumping back to Europe is Varlamov. He's going to be on an island not being able to speak English. Do we have any Russians in choc town for him to talk with?

Posted by: Steve R | July 11, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Just to throw my two cents in about all this Alzner hype. I am a decent judge of hockey player having played for around 20 years and a fan all my life (27 year). Dad had season tickets, I have season tickets.

In saying that I do not believe Alzner is a "NHL ready" as people believe him to be. Watching the two scrimmages this week, an "NHL ready" player should stick out like a sore thumb and he has not. I am open for any comments from people that has seen the scrimmages but from my view point, he is either majorly holding back or the guys in this developmental camp are that good. I don't believe that to be the case. To say Alzner is light years ahead of Erskine is going a bit far. Erskine would toss these guys around like rag dolls and plays at a faster speed than anyone out them.

Just my two cents, take them for what they are worth but from where I am sitting, the only person on the ice that has clearly dominated is Varlomov and I think he will start in Hershey.

Posted by: Roger # 94 | July 11, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

First PP unit:

Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom up front,
Fedorov, Green on a blue line.

And Semin should shout to Feds (in Russian profanity):

Shoot the freaking puck!

Posted by: Simon says | July 11, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

@Steve R

The best thing for Varlamov is not having any Russians around: sink or swim.

Look at Malkin who still lives with Gonchar family, he can't say a word in English!

Posted by: Simon says | July 11, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Simon says,

And Nicky lives with Nyls. Some people don't acclimate as easily as others. The more comfortable he is off the ice, the better Varlamov will play on the ice. imho.

Posted by: Steve R | July 11, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I have this feeling that The "Beave" has alot to prove and has a little bit of a chip on his shoulder about being the second "choice" behind Huie....I would not be surprised to see a monster season from "The Beaver"!

Posted by: Jose can U C | July 11, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Where did this myth start that Backstrom lives with Nylander? He goes there a lot for dinner; he doesn't live there.

Posted by: norske | July 11, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@ Tommmy and Mauree

I did not "call people dumb". I only pointed out that those that trash our GM are not blessed with intelligence because anyone with a modicum of it can see that he's doing a very good job.

As for the other thing, Tommmy, thank you for pointing out that the NHL has taken over all the team sites and all of them have the same multimedia categories. I'm well aware of that. That was not what I was saying, however. While the categories may be the same the amount of content posted on the Caps site far exceeds that of most teams. Yes, they have the same multimedia sections, but many are nearly empty. For example, very few teams posted so many post game interviews on such a regular basis as did the Caps last season.

Posted by: ranndino | July 12, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm a hot black single girl, I feel lonely... What I really need is love, Feel free to chat with me on "Mixed mingl e . c o m" where i upload my photos and many black or white singles seeking love online.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2008 4:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm a hot black single girl, I feel lonely... What I really need is love, Feel free to chat with me on ----Mixed Mingle. c o m---- where i upload my photos and many black or white singles seeking love online.

Posted by: Yarina | July 17, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse