John Carlson helps save the day

Three months removed from his game-winning overtime goal in the world junior championships, defenseman John Carlson played the hero Saturday night, scoring with 1 minute 21 seconds to play to force overtime in a 6-5 victory.

"It's unbelievable," said Carlson, whose goal erased a 4-1 deficit and helped Washington even the series at one game. "We battled back, and that's great, but it's just Game 2. We've got to go Montreal and do our job. One game's good, but we've got to keep going."

Carlson scored after several Canadiens had stopped play briefly, apparently awaiting a whistle for a penalty drawn by Alex Ovechkin. Nicklas Backstrom made a move to get around a defender and fed Carlson, who beat Jaroslav Halak with a wrister.

"It's lucky," Carlson said. "Nicky made a nice pass to me and drove the net, and I tried to squeak one through and got lucky."

Of the comeback, Carlson said: "I think we're such a good team because we have the ability to come back, no matter what. We never count ourselves out, and we showed that tonight, and I think that's what makes our team dynamic."

Check out the video of Carlson in the locker room:

By Gene Wang  |  April 17, 2010; 11:19 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps pull one out of their hat in 6-5 OT win
Next: Poti the pugilist

Comments

EPIC

Posted by: masterx | April 17, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Carlson - clutch goal and an overall well played game

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 17, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Carlson is the man...and he's younger me.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 17, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Captain America = CLUTCH!!

Posted by: sargeantmofo | April 17, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Cardiac Caps strike again. I'm stoked on the win but the defense is really scary. At least the goaltending was solid so we can feel good about that. I'd be hard pressed to blame Theo or Varly for any of those 5 goals. Green has to get his head out of his a$$. He had 2 opportunities to breakup the 5th goal but didn't.

I really hope this wins gives them the belief that they can do it. I'm just not sure the defense is good enough to carry this team far. Please prove me wrong.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 17, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

take Green off the PP and put Carlson in... they're blocking just about every one of Green's shots because his release is just too darn slow

Posted by: joek443 | April 17, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Carlson's goal didn't "erase a 4-1 deficit". Backstrom's second goal did that. Carlson's goal erased a late-game 5-4 deficit.

Posted by: gebster | April 18, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Once again Wise proved unwise again!

You doubt my comments after your column after game 1 and once again you should have stuck with the team insteading of bashing Ovechkin like you and Wilbon did. I reinforced how bad the trade for Corvo was because it kept the other plus 36 defensman in hershey-Karl Alzner. He is not like Carlson his plus 36 comes from all defense and small amount of penalty minutes.. I have even wrote 3 emails to Leonsis begging him to bring up Carlson and Alzner. I would say a plus 36 is a little better then -- 13 which Corvo finished season at. The media pushed Mchpee to pick up a veteran def. man at the break even though his gut told him not too. Look at Carlson's progression in the regular season ended at plus 15 and caps allow allot less shot's with him in lineup. Doubt Alzner too, check how many times caps have given up 30 shots or less with him in lineup as opposed to 30 or more every night without him or Carlson. Mchpee your only mistake is too not yet young talent flourish, Perrault too is at least worthy of 4th line center on this team. Your the man TARIK. Wise and Wilbon stick to your expertee's in the other sports. Go Caps! You can read my comments from other day if you doubt my logic!

Posted by: wstwd73 | April 18, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Perfect example,

die hard caps fans knew we had a good chance after making it 4-2 in the 2nd period because that is a whopping 11th 3 goal come back from the caps this year. Oh yeah, did I mention 1 of the others being down 5-2 in Montreal and result 6-5 win, caps..... You guys sulk with unoptism with wizards and skins. And we cap fans, the true ones no it ain't over ever with this team.

Posted by: wstwd73 | April 18, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

I was glad they pulled this win out. No matter what, they never quit, and that is why I stopped watching Soccer and Baseball, because Caps have something other sports teams in this area don't have: DETERMINATION TO WIN. Way to go guys! LETS GO CAPS!

Posted by: Lopezt | April 18, 2010 2:26 AM | Report abuse

Clutch Carlson! The young man is exciting, consistent and truly an asset on this team. He is also well spoken and seems like his head is on straight. Thanks, Johnnie!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | April 18, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I have said it before, now again- what the H**l were the Caps thinking, trading Pothier just because he would've been free agent at end of season. he was the glue that kept the d together, the veteran who did his job, quietly and expertly. Covo? Eh. He is still learning how to fit in.
Dont even get me going on Boudreaus teachers pet, Green. this year, #52 cant use the injury excuse.

Posted by: peabody2 | April 18, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

all i know is carlson has played 2 great playoff games thats 2 more than green,shulutz

Posted by: vjridgely | April 18, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse