Johnson Sick; Theodore to Start (Updated)

Brent Johnson isn't well, so Jose Theodore will be the surprise starter tonight at MSG, where the Caps will be looking to snap a seven game losing streak (0-6-1) dating to 2004.

I didn't get to talk to either Johnson or Theodore -- the switch was announced after the players had left -- but Coach Bruce Boudreau's decision doesn't come as a surprise to anyone who watched this morning's pre-game skate. Johnson didn't look right. Whether he's actually got an illness, or it's his hip, that's up for debate at the moment.

Some other notes and quotes:

*For Boudreau, this is the first time since scoring two goals as a member of the Maple Leafs in 1979 that he's been inside MSG.

"I sniped two that night," Boudreau said. "It was a 3-3 tie."

For those of you who haven't had a chance to chat with Boudreau, he's got an amazing memory, especially when it comes to his NHL appearances.

*For Andrew Gordon, who will make his NHL debut tonight, he's here for the second time in his 23 years. The Nova Scotia native came to the Garden as a nine-year-old with his father and watched the Rangers host the Bruins. It was the first NHL game he watched live.

"It's the grand stage," said Gordon, who had 10 goals and 10 assists in Hershey. "It's really going to be something special."

Gordon doesn't recall much of that day, but he does remember high-fiving Mark Messier and wondering why everyone sounded so funny.

"It was my dad's birthday, so we came down," Gordon said. "I remember walking in. It was the first real sports stadium I had been in. I was so little and everything was so big. Today, walking back out there, I was thinking, 'It's not that big. It's not as big as I remember."

"I didn't watch much of the game," he added. "I was just looking around and listening to the people around me - it was the first time I had ever heard an accent like that."

Looks like Gordon is going to skate with Tomas Fleischmann and Brooks Laich.

"We hadn't given him a chance," Boudreau said of the decision to recall Gordon over someone else. "He was one of the last cuts in camp. He's definitely a prospect in our organization, and he's playing well enough down there, just sometimes he gets overshadowed."

*Gordon is in because Donald Brashear (leg) is out. Brashear is day-to-day. With two days off coming up, Boudreau doesn't think he'll miss any time.

*As for why the Caps recalled Helmer over Sami Lepisto (who would seem to be a better fit with Mike Green and Tom Poti out), Boudreau would only say, "Because I wanted to call Bryan up."

*A few interesting tidbits on the injury situation, which, once again, has reach the realm of the absurd. As I mentioned in a previous post, Gordon will be the 34th player the Caps have used this season compared to just 22 for the Rangers. (It's 35 if you count Brett "Stretch" Leonhardt.)

"Some years, you don't get hurt," Boudreau said. "Other years, teams get hurt extensively. We could have a used a minimum of 27 players if we had gone to the well and kept using the same players all the time. But Hershey is doing so well, and they have so many prospects down there, we've give everyone a chance."

*Just in case you've lost track, here are the players who are out for the Caps: Sergei Fedorov, Green, Poti, Alexander Semin, Jeff Schultz, Chris Clark, John Erskine and Brashear.

If anything changes, I'll post an update before tonight's game.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 23, 2008; 11:31 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A. Gordon, Helmer Recalled (Updated)
Next: Tonight's Lineup

Comments

Here comes a torrent of worry!

Posted by: _jordan | December 23, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

1) So will he be in uniform or is Varmalov back up?

Posted by: fauxrumors | December 23, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Please get better soon Johnny.

Posted by: caryh | December 23, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Theodore sucks.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | December 23, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

A little late, but that interview with Kozlov was a good one

Posted by: superpaqman | December 23, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Here comes a torrent of worry!

Posted by: _jordan | December 23, 2008 11:39 AM
-------------------------------------------
+60.

Posted by: Section117 | December 23, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Well, back to what we had three weeks ago. With four young Ds playing and Theo in net, the vets will need to get back and help out in our own zone. Play defense and knock a few in.

Good luck tonight.

Go Caps.

Posted by: saintex | December 23, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Seven game losing streak? I think that's a typo.

Posted by: FedsFan | December 23, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

3-0 Caps

Just like the Montreal game.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 23, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

If Theo was smart he'd recognize this as his chance to take the job. Of course, he could feasibly recognize this, and still not perform, but I'm hoping for a good game from him.

Let's go Caps!
Rag the Rangers!

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | December 23, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

@fedsfan

I think he meant 7-game losing streak at MSG...not overall.

Posted by: sirbobalew | December 23, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I hope that Theo get's a chance to read this...

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

*SUPER*

Posted by: SZALACH7 | December 23, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Injury Update:

Johnson to be out at least one game with the sniffles.

Oh no Jt in goal. Me thinks the Rangers score 6 and GMGM blows top. Well not quite but hopefully he has wised up to overpaying for has beens. One day we will see him graduate but it is not too difficult when you have Alex the Great as a foundation.

Injury update II: Alex is sore but nuttin will stop him unless he hurts his shoulder, groin, or ankle. He is a tough guy he can play with a bad back.

Rangers 6 Caps 3.

Posted by: windjammersouth | December 23, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

SA-town:

You're an idiot.

Posted by: windjammersouth | December 23, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

@sirbobalew

Thanks for the clarification. Probably right. But with Jose "Threeormore" in goal, doubt that will change tonight.

Posted by: FedsFan | December 23, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

This is a golden opportunity for Theo to win us a game. I didn't give up on him, since I believe that he can shine us in the playoffs. We need a #1 goalie, and he can claim that spot tonight.

Posted by: mauree | December 23, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Wow - Theo better play on top of his head...this could be it for him if he doesn't. He sucks badly.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 23, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@windj

stop the insults and your know-it-all attitude. You are already labelled as a troll, why keep that up?

Posted by: mauree | December 23, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

@windjammer

Your not a Caps fan...get lost and stop filling this blog with your garbage.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 23, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

what they said!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 23, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section117 | December 23, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Just read this and IMed my Rangers fan friend congratulating him on tonight's win.

Let's hope I'm wrong, but with the D we have starting tonight and Theo in net my hopes are very slim.

Posted by: ranndino | December 23, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Me me spot on --

appears there is an elephant in the room. Noah come to the rescue.

SA-town: is lunch time over?

Posted by: windjammersouth | December 23, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Not the best news I've heard all morning. But I'm going to not be a negative Nancy. I think this is a golden opportunity for Theo to prove us wrong about him. C'mon Theo! Show us what ya got! I've got faith in you!

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | December 23, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Windyapper: how 'bout them Cowboys Sunday night?

Posted by: Kellyinbalto | December 23, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Theadore sucks like that dud in Tampa Bay oh yeah he was on the caps to.

Posted by: Kim-3 | December 23, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Funny you should ask. Me just love the opportunity to watch my Boys beat up on the Pigeons on Sunday and chat with you up there in Bal'more.

See you in the Super Bowl.

Posted by: windjammersouth | December 23, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

3-0 Caps

Just like the Montreal game.

Posted by: SA-Town | December 23, 2008 11:47 AM

----------------------

I agree, JT steps up and proves all the haters wrong.

Posted by: CapManJ | December 23, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

@SZALACH7 - Oh. MYGOD. That story is AWESOME! I've always loved the original, but this is even better!

Posted by: irockthered | December 23, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

OK, let's picture windjammer.......... I believe he is about 5'2" weighs about 100 lbs soaking wet, and has never excelled in sports, or even had a date for that matter. I ruled windjammer out as a lady because of that "me me" crap, definitely geek talk and not lady talk. Not only is windjammer a tiny man, he's in his twenties and already balding. Would like to invite him out to a U18AA practice along with Cheef and Puckguru so they can experience how tough hockey is at that level. Then they might not be so quick to imply that players are weak, or soft. As I said earlier, no one playing in the NHL is a coward. Even Briere, the spearer, he knows he's a target out there yet he straps on the skates. I call him a wimp for his retaliation tactics but the fact is I wouldn't want to be out there with OV bearing down on me.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 23, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Brought over from previous thread:

@sidehillman: Thanks for the hockey history lesson. Seriously!! I'm not a native Marylander, grew up in Illinois, so I never knew about the Lions or the Presidents.

For other's who like hockey trivia, here's what Wikipedia came up with: "The Washington Lions were a professional ice hockey team based in Washington, D.C. They were founded as a member of the American Hockey League in the 1941-42 season. The Lions played for two seasons, disbanded during World War II. Another Washington Lions team played in the Eastern Hockey League from 1944-47. The AHL Lions were resurrected in 1947. Following the 1948-49 season, the team was relocated to Cincinnati, Ohio as the Cincinnati Mohawks. The void was filled by a second team of the same name playing in the Eastern Hockey League, from 1951-53, and 1954-57, who later became the Washington Presidents."

@sidehillman: You're getting up there in age for sure. I'm a STH and would love to give you my tickets for a game that I can't make it to if you're interested and not a STH yourself. I'm a hockey dad so they're in the 400 section, but a great place to really watch an NHL game.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 23, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

will Leonhardt back up again? I say we suit up Locker and Joe B...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | December 23, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered

It makes you want to turn a page and look forward... Don't get me wrong, I'm still a big Brent Johnson fan, but I really hope that JT will live up to the hype.

Peerless always has awesome posts.

*SUPER

Posted by: SZALACH7 | December 23, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Here goes nothing...

Posted by: gocaps71 | December 23, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

After the debacle in Philly, it's probably good for Johnson to sit a few and heal up -- physically and psychologically. JT has a chance to prove he wants to compete. I hope he pulls out his a game from whereever he has lost it.

I still can hardly believe how many injuries the Caps are dealing with and still winning for the most part (what 6/8).

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | December 23, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about your Redskins. Maybe next year.

You're on the Slope of Hope.

Posted by: windjammersouth | December 23, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

@ranndino - I'm not so positive we're going to drop this one. Truly. Theodore HAS played well a few times this season, and our defense HAS been solid, even with Hershey boys making up most of it.

The Rangers are 5-5 over their last 10 games. We are 7-3. The Flyers tried to humiliate us in our last game, but we weren't having any. The goals they scored on Theo were NOT against our top line players, and they were running theirs.

It's true that we're pretty beat up right now, but I wouldn't call us beaten.

Not by a long shot.

Posted by: irockthered | December 23, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

GOD F-ING DAMNIT

Posted by: ahbest3 | December 23, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

It will be good to see Andrew Gordon get a chance finally. One good thing about all these injuries is seeing which Hershey players can actually play at this level. So far Giroux has been the most impressive forward and both Collins, Sloan and Helmer have been more impressive than Lepisto who every Caps fan had penciled in as next on the depth chart.

Also good to see Mike Green OUT of the lineup. Why this team thought they should play him with a shoulder injury is beyond me. He's the worst defensive player on this team outside of Erskine and then to play him with an injured shoulder? !?

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 23, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

the caps have indeed lost seven in a row here at MSG.

Posted by: el_bashir | December 23, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

No worries, we score 6 we're golden....

Posted by: Steve_R | December 23, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Line combos?

Posted by: HuskyHockey | December 23, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Good guess o Fan but me thinks you sit up high in the bird's nest. Hope you have an eagle eye.

(the heehee club)

Posted by: windjammersouth | December 23, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

...
...
...

"Buh-bye! Have fun storming the castle!"
"Think it'll work?"
"It'd take a miracle."
"Buh-bye!"

Posted by: kittypawz | December 23, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Line combos were impossible. Not everyone skated and they didn't go in line rushes. So I'm not going to guess.

Posted by: el_bashir | December 23, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

cstanton,

What are your thoughts on the +/- stat?

Posted by: Steve_R | December 23, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

It's really obvious here who is of the "glass is half full" and who is of the "glass is half empty" type.

Me, I'm an engineer. The glass is twice the size it needs to be. ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | December 23, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

cstanton,

What are your thoughts on the +/- stat?

Posted by: Steve_R | December 23, 2008 12:30 PM

They're about as misleading as shots on goal sometimes.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 23, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

How about Corsi rating, where Green is the 2nd best defenseman on the team (behind Alzner)?

Posted by: Section117 | December 23, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

@kittypawz

Never go up against a Sicilian, when DEATH is on the line!

Posted by: Roose | December 23, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Is Jose still hurt? If he is still sore - bad news for us. Who is the back-up?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 23, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

It would be very interesting to be able to view the Caps season as a fan of another city. I don't think that fans in other cities are judging the '08-'09 Caps quite as harshley as many of the fans on this board. This is still a very young team with obvious shortcomings & still a year or 2 away. I too am disapointed with "3,4,5-or-more" but at this time there is No alternative. Just sit back & enjoy what we have & know that in time it will be a lot better.

You can't rush the young talent. Pretend that they are a fine wine & give them time.

Posted by: sidehillman | December 23, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Wtf is misleading about the shots on goal stat? It's the most straightforward stat other than GOALS probably.

Posted by: _jordan | December 23, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

At least it will be an interesting game to watch tonight. I don't envy Theo. I hope he has not been reading this blog. All eyes will be on him, wondering if he will screw up. But at least we will know the stuff he is made up of: does the pressure seal his demise or is he able to rise to the challenge and re-claim his glory days. I know from parenting a goalie, how much of the battle is mental.

Posted by: caraveli | December 23, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Why don't the Caps keep playing Varlamov?

Posted by: mjmq | December 23, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

cstanton,

The +/- is misleading? I disagree. It's not the end all be all, but it can't be dismissed out of hand. Let's look at the D for the Caps:

Green +9
Alzner +8
Poti +6
Erskine +2
Collins +2
Schultz 0
Sloan -1
Juice -1
Helmer -2
Mo -2
Lepisto -3

Can you offer up anything to back up your position other than "Green sucks on D"?

Posted by: Steve_R | December 23, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Is Varlamov coming up for the night? Does Johnny have the sniffles or is his hip really the issue here?

Posted by: gocaps71 | December 23, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

no way jose has all the talent in the world, and he does have i believe an 9-6 record. As said above he is playing with 4 out of 6 d-man who were call-ups. I think jose is good and all goalies can go thru little funks.

Show a little faith people

Posted by: _stevo | December 23, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Three-or-more can stand on his head, and I hope he does. But that hardly means he'll have proved us wrong. He'll prove us wrong when he turns around what have been his stats over the past 4 years or so -- a gaa well over 3 and a save % well under .90.

The issue isn't whether or not anybody better was available; it's why are we paying a guy so mediocre so much money?

Maybe we can win 7-6. We get the win... but GMGM doesn't get fooled into thinking JT is somehow turning a corner after multiple years of poor to average play. (yes -- he finished strong last year, but come on)

Posted by: sinbin | December 23, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Not good... the wife is a Rangers fan, and I'm sensing it's going to be a long, long game to sit through...

Posted by: KurtNYC | December 23, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Okay first comment was not from me. A little elf broke into my computer. But have still not heard why Tampa recalled Ramo.

Personally, I am curious to see what JT does with this chance. He has been talking the right talk all season long. Now I want to see if he can walk the walk.

The best thing that could happen right now for the Caps would be for JT to get hot and become a beast in net. I am going to think positive thoughts, and hope that this ends up being the game we look back on as when the Cap's goalie situation was turned around.

Posted by: Kim-3 | December 23, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

P.S I don't get it why some of you are against Green? How can you say the defense would be better without him? As for Nylander, he had outstanding stats last year and there is every reason to believe that his game will pick up again. This just has not been his year so far, but why is everyone so bent on trading him? We need the achoring of more experienced players.

Posted by: caraveli | December 23, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Sinbin-absolutely agree. JT has been on a downward spiral for a bit now. Why did we throw so much money at him? He was the last kid to get picked at the pick up game-since Huet wanted (what?) $100,000 more to sign with Chicago. Should have given Jose 1 year at 2 million.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 23, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

@windjammer: oooooooooh, I am dead on with my assessment of you. Just got off the phone with a bud that had to listen to me vent about this knucklehead. When I told him about the "me thinks" and "heehee" crap he said you have to be some kind of Star Wars geek. The "me thinks" junk is from character named Jer Binks or something like that. Leave us alone in here windjammer, don't you have a Dungeons and Dragons or World of Warcraft game to join. You're probably one of those geeks that South Park makes fun of on a regular basis.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 23, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Caraveli,

Nyls wasn't so hot last year, it was the season prior to that that his stats looked good.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 23, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Lepisto makes too many critical mistakes. He needs to continue to learn down at Hershey.

Any rumors about potential trade deadline deals? Any chance we land another goaltender?

Posted by: SkinsFan4Life89 | December 23, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

"Go away or I'll call the Brute Squad."

"I'm on the Brute Squad."

"You ARE the Brute Squad!"

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 23, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Slope of Hope Steve-o.

Posted by: windjammersouth | December 23, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

from previous thread

fanofhock1

Your tic offer is appreciated, but may a little difficult to work out due to the distance. The weather is always a factor this time of year.

Posted by: sidehillman | December 23, 2008 12:32 PM

Posted by: sidehillman | December 23, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

@lyle

Yeah, we should have just signed Ovie for $5 mil and Semin for a half too. You can't just arbitrarily assign numbers to players. I'm pretty sure contracts are negotiated, not just handed out as you seem to suggest. And Huet wanted over a million more, not $100,000.

Posted by: _jordan | December 23, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Huet also wanted 3 years from us to start with, not 2.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 23, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steve_R | December 23, 2008 12:50 PM
-------------------------------------------
I'm guessing no, so I'm saying troll.

Posted by: Section117 | December 23, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Can we start the 'Green should be a winger' argument too? That one is always hilarious fun.

Posted by: _jordan | December 23, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"
...
"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"
...
"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"
...
"Stop saying that!"

Posted by: sargeantmofo | December 23, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

fanofhockey1

I found a listing of the old Eastern Hockey league. The Lions segue into the Presidents & played till '59-'60 season. I guess that us old folks can still remember things that happened nearly 50 years ago.

Posted by: sidehillman | December 23, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather sit at home than watch from 117.

Posted by: windjammersouth | December 23, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Where's everyone watching the game tonight? Has anyone been to that new bar "Union Jacks"? I was trying to get a few people to come with me. Anyone feel like going there?

Posted by: redskins2448 | December 23, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Just was wondering what you guys would think if the Caps pulled off this deal.

Spezza and Auld for Nylander and Theo.

I know, people will say Nylander hasn't been approaced and Im not saying this is a rumor. Just in theory, what do you all think.

I know Spezza is a big cap hit, but next year you have to figure Feds is off the books. Auld is signed through next year, could be paired with Varlamov.

Anyone have any thoughts on if they like that deal?

Posted by: ThePat | December 23, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what the possibilities are of calling up Michal Neuvirth.

Just once I would like to see what he can do in net at this level of play.

Posted by: jogabonito | December 23, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

You're assuming Ottawa would be that gullible.

Posted by: Section117 | December 23, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

mjmq: Varlamov was good in his first couple of starts, but they're taking him slow, real slow, so they don't ruin him like they did Jim Carey. I saw him play, and while he's got the makings of something special, he's not quite there yet. They don't want to rush him up too fast, and I think that's a smart call. BJ and Theo can get us into the playoffs. How far remains to be seen, but they'll get us there if we can stay healthy.

Like Leeguru says, we're still a year or two away from serious contention, although you can already see that we're getting close. Real close. We're just not quite there yet. And yes, it's aggravating to see how close we are to where we should be and to get nailed by the injury bug THIS hard.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 23, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

yay quote wars!!!

Posted by: superpaqman | December 23, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Clarification: If we can stay healthy in the playoff run, goaltending is really our only serious question mark.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 23, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Im assuming both teams would do the deal. You could argue we are gullible and stupid for doing that deal with Semin and Backstrom that we'd have to resign. Just looking to talk about something else other than the injuries.

Posted by: ThePat | December 23, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Jordan, while i appreciate the sarcasm, I'm not that ignorant. All i was trying to say was Jose was the last choice, and we are stuck with 2 back-up goalies at best.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 23, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Gordon's No. for tonight?

Posted by: HuskyHockey | December 23, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Well, I certainly wish Theodore the best of luck. The Caps have continued to have great patience with him and are giving him another opportunity. I hope he takes advantage of it, the patience of the Caps is not infinate.

I'm not a Theodore hater. Personally I like the guy. But he's getting paid to do a job and he hasn't done it.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFederov | December 23, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Im assuming both teams would do the deal.

Posted by: ThePat | December 23, 2008 1:23 PM
-------------------------------------------
Yeah, but if you're the Ottawa GM, are you getting fair market value for Spezza in a 36 year old who barely has half the amount of points this year than he did last, and he's played almost the same amount of games), and a guy who you're on the hook to for $4.5m next year for being a #2?

The "what if" is nice, it's just a leap that's too hard to make.

Posted by: Section117 | December 23, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Okay, since we're on the topic of Princess Bride, how about this one? Sounds like somet

First things first, to the death.
No. To the pain.
I don't think I'm quite familiar with that phrase.
I'll explain and I'll use small words so that you'll be sure to understand, you warthog faced buffoon.
That may be the first time in my life a man has dared insult me.
It won't be the last. To the pain means the first thing you will lose will be your feet below the ankles. Then your hands at the wrists. Next your nose.
And then my tongue I suppose, I killed you too quickly the last time. A mistake I don't mean to duplicate tonight.
I wasn't finished. The next thing you will lose will be your left eye followed by your right.
And then my ears, I understand let's get on with it.
WRONG. Your ears you keep and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish. Every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out, "Dear God! What is that thing," will echo in your perfect ears. That is what to the pain means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.
I think your bluffing.
It's possible, Pig, I might be bluffing. It's conceivable, you miserable, vomitous mass, that I'm only lying here because I lack the strength to stand. But, then again... perhaps I have the strength after all.
DROP... YOUR... SWORD!

Posted by: kittypawz | December 23, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like something I hope we get to say to the Rangers about 9:30 tonight.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 23, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

The Caps will be just fine... even if they lose this game, they will be just fine. We have yet to play the majority of our division opponents while others have yet to play the majority of their division opponenets.

I think the Caps win tonight though. Theo will be alright in net and we are going to light the lamp many times.

You all need to start getting over worked by the trolls. Windjammer is the same dud that was the SwissCheeseFactory way back when. He's harmless...

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsFan4Life89 | December 23, 2008 12:57 PM

I don't think he's NHL material, unless he's on a bad team. The more he plays, the worse he looks. He's barely servicable at this level and his upside isn't that great. He'll get passed soon on the depth chart by guys like Godfrey and maybe Finley. Maybe even Pokulok :)
I already trust Collins, Helmer (and even Sloan) back there over Sami. And apparently so does Boudreau

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 23, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

@Steve_R - Thanks for posting that +/- list. I think it's very telling. If Mike Green weren't out of position at least once in a game, we'd all want to know who the guy wearing his sweater was! Offhand, I'd say Green is a very strong player. He's an offensive-minded defenseman. He's a different kind of defenseman than perhaps people want him to be, but he IS good at what he does, and he's good at the way he does it.

Posted by: irockthered | December 23, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

O.O

you know that dialog by heart?

Posted by: mauree | December 23, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

@mauree - You don't??? ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | December 23, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Lepisto looks exactly like Green did his first year in the NHL... Lepisto will be alright... just give him time.

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _jordan | December 23, 2008 1:04 PM

Thats only hilarious because he'd be limited as a winger. He can skate great and set up plays but he'll suck down in the corners for the same reason he sucks in his own end when he has to go get the puck in traffic. I trust Flash more than Green to go dig the puck out for his linemates.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 23, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"Leave us alone in here windjammer"

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 23, 2008 12:55 PM

@fanohock1:

Spot-on! Windyammer ***IS*** Jar-Jar Bnks and should be banned from this blog forever. Ditto Cheef. My wife gets annoyed when I talk negative too much, but I've got nothing on those $+@#$$@.

Lets all pray for:

--Full Health for all (esp. BJ)
--Improved goaltending (i.e., better performance, not necessarily personnel changes--which, IMHO, are unlikely to appen before the trade deadline)
--Defeat and disgrace to all who oppose us: seek not to bar our way, for we shall win through, no matter the cost!

BTW, here's a couple of ideas for fan sites that don't exist yet but probably should:

www.die_pens_die.com

www.weH8Philthy.com

www.rangersuck.com

Actually...I take that last one back...it DOES exist, but is a little light on content.

For those wondering what "$+@#$$@" means, first flip it around, and it should become clearer...

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 23, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

@Tarik - You said Johnson "didn't look right..." that was my sentiment based on what I saw on Saturday, and it didn't look like his hip. It looked like he was half a step behind himself. Is it possible he's been fighting this illness off since then? If so, he definitely has my sympathies! Poor guy! :-(

Posted by: irockthered | December 23, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of +/-, is anyone else interested that Semin is a +20 on the year? 3rd in the league and twice as high as the next closest Cap (Ovi at +10)? Or so nhl.com said last night

Posted by: superpaqman | December 23, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

We have a lot of new posters from last season. A lot of them are pretty negative.

I don't think we need any more fans!

My Christmas list:

1. The ability to ignore certain posters.
2. A healthy team.
3. A stronger defense.
4. A goalie that wants to be the #1 goalie.
5. The ability to ignore certain posters.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 23, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 1:42 PM

Green's defense has taken a turn for the worse not the better so that frame of thinking doesn't really hold water. He never made turnovers like he does now, he was more responsible in his own end. Experience is not helping his defensive game.

Sami pays more attention to defense but I don't think he has the size and ability to compete at this level. Its crazy to blame him for that last incident where he fell down. That could've happened to anyone. It happens to Schultz every other game. The big picture however indicates that he gets overmatched by NHL forwards in general. Its nice to have him as a callup but the more he plays the worse he looks and thats usually not a good indicator of a player's potential

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 23, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Just caught a piece of the NHL radio show on NHL Network. They cut to their New York NHL store below the studio and guess who was paying for something at the register with his kid. None other than George McPhee.

Posted by: ranndino | December 23, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: irockthered | December 23, 2008 1:40 PM

MG just needs to work harder on his defensive game. He's strong and talented but he's lax with the puck and he doesn't work his tail off like he needs to. He's very slow to react in his own end and he takes too many unnecessary chances up-ice.

Not all offensive-minded defensemen look this bad defensively. that's a misnomer imo

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 23, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

@mauree: No, I looked it up because pieces of it came to mind :)

@828: Some people may have noted that I tend to post gloom and doom and then we win. I want to see if it's a fluke :)

Posted by: kittypawz | December 23, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

The heck Green didn't make turnovers... I hated Green when he was a rookie... hated him so much, I traded a signed puck of his for Jamie Heward... and I didn't even feel bad about it. Green always turned the puck over and got stupid penalties.. that is what makes me hate players... but, Green showed that he can play now. So, I forgive players and give them a chance.

cstanton1 - good for your opinion... that's awesome... just telling my side to the story as people usually BASH every single player on the Caps for some reason or another and yet, they all forget, they are ALL kids...

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1 - I think the majority of Green's "turnover problems" are probably related to his injury... let's let him get healthy and then discuss how his game has improved or not this year.

@Greg S. - We can always use more fans, if they're willing to be here for the long run and not just when we're winning.

Posted by: irockthered | December 23, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Just keep Steckel away from everyone! Especially the water bottles. He missed practice yesterday because of a cold, and we all know you don't get over a cold in a day. We don't need him spreading this to the other guys. Remember that time (maybe 2 years ago) when half the team came down with the flu? With all the injuries already, that might be the final straw.

Posted by: tess2201 | December 23, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz, no worries. I used to have some sort of reverse psychology going on last year for the Caps games on this board. I'm not judging.

I did forget how many experts are on here though.

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Kittypawz,

Stick with the doom and gloom if it works. I think it was 828 who did the same thing last season.

828,

Correct me if that was someone else.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 23, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Woah, and now there's Chris Clark there as well. The show is being played on the PA system at the store and they just totally pointed him out for everyone there. He started laughing and mock hiding behind the register.

Posted by: ranndino | December 23, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

oops, slow typing, it was 828.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 23, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I think Green's turnover "problem" might be due to the fact that his role is to carry the puck all the friggin time. It's his job. Ovechkin, for example, is near tops in the league in turnovers, yet nobody calls him out on it!

Posted by: _jordan | December 23, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"Are there rocks ahead?"

"If there are, we'll all be dead!"

My all time favorite movie.

Hope Joe Say impresses tonight. Otherwise we'll have to put up with windhammer and cheef tomorrow.

Posted by: Leeguru | December 23, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

What was the deal with Jim Carey everyone seems to be referring to? Also, I am not sure that Auld would be such a big step up. His last 2-3 games were not that good. I'd go for Mason. I wonder what kind of contract he has. He is Varlamov's age. How do the two compare experience-wise?

Posted by: caraveli | December 23, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

If Columbus is trading anybody, it would be Leclaire and not Mason.

Posted by: _jordan | December 23, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN power rankings:

Santa or GM George McPhee needs to bring the Capitals some better goaltending before the trade deadline, or it could be a short postseason again in Washington.

AMEN

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 23, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

ranndino: I'm not too happy to hear that GMGM is buying Rangers junk for his kid, but gotta give him a break. When my kids first broke into liking sports I was in Hawaii and my 7 year old asked for Cowboys jersey. Now, I hate the Cowboys as bad as I hate the flyers but I was just glad my son asked for a jersey of any kind rather than a tu-tu or something. He's still a Cowboy fan, but he doesn't miss a Capitals game, he even took a verbal beating at Wachovia the other day. He was 4 rows behind the Caps bench and went into the stadium wearing home made Flyers T-shirts. Immediately after the national anthem he and his friend tore them down the front and put their Caps jerseys on. He said that some of the Flyers fans laughed, but not all. Although there was not a fight between him and a FLyers fan he said that security asked them to sit in their sits and let them know when they were leaving so they could be somewhat protected on their way out. Get this...He can't wait to go back in March.

Caps fans, please remember this. With all the injuries we still have the best player in the world in the line-up, and OV said that Backstrom is one of the best centers in the league. Can't win with one line all the time, I realize that, but we have potential on those other lines. I know Nylander is a talented player that is just in an unbelievable slump. His +/- wasn't good when he went down last year, but he was second on the team in scoring when he went under the knife. He'll break out, and when he does, we'll be glad he was able to remain healthy. The Laich/Fehr/Flash line should do some good things to if they are left together.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 23, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

"Hey Farva what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy **** on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?"

Posted by: superpaqman | December 23, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I have my share of run-ins with the people here. I don't dislike discussing points and counter points. I try not to make it personal, spitefull, "loud". I accept that some people hold strong beliefs about players skills, abilities, and values to the team, and acknowledge that those beliefs will differ from mine from time to time. That's all fair, good, and healthy.

I do not understand how someone can proclaim themselves a "fan" and call up friends and congratulate them on their win 8 hours before the drop of the puck.

I do not understand how someone can come here stating themselves as "guru" anything. It's just plain obnoxious. Others proclaim an individual as a "guru", not themselves.

I do not understand how so many are apparently throwing in the towel because of a really bad game. This is a well constructed team that has great potential in the future. We're not there quite yet (IMHO). We have a good plan. You stick to the plan. Deviate from it too much and you risk throttling the plan.

We have seen the prospects play this year more than ever before. We're liking what we see overall. Let's not jepordize the future by throwing them into the fray before they're really ready for it.

We have a unique situation here in that we can put the prospects in for a few games to get a taste, then go back to Hershey and work on their weaknesses.

We should be really happy that we can do this instead of dissing the players we have. Can we be upset by poor play? Sure. Just understand that they have bad days, too, just like you and I do. Sometimes they'll lose the handle and it'll take a while to find it again. Be patient. They didn't get to the NHL on luck.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 23, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Jordan, is there Goalie Trade Talks now? Who brought that one up?

We allow 7 goals in 1 game and people are talking about trading a goalie? Unbelievable!

Johnson is playing well because he is in his contract year. Theo, who knows... he is notorious for late starts... So, maybe he is the guy that carries us through the playoffs. What place are the Caps in? If they were not leading the SE div, would they make the playoffs right now? Have the Caps been completely healthy this year? And yet they are still where they are? YIKES! Someone call the fire department, this one's out of control.

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

The NHL store, while being in New York, is not a Rangers-specific store.

Posted by: _jordan | December 23, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

@828,

I was just referring the poster immediately before mine with the goalie talk. I think he was just being silly, but I can't tell for sure. Columbus would be nuts to get rid of Mason.

Posted by: _jordan | December 23, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@caraveli

Here's one story on Carey:

Posted by: geauxcaps | December 23, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Greg S.

Well said!

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Gotcha Jordan... I was like, R U Serious... if people were talking about wanting to trade our goalies.

Yeah, the NHL store sells the Ovechin clothing line and the Sidney Crosby Perfume...

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

What worries me is that I had a good feeling about tonight -- and I had a good feeling about Philly too. :( Maybe it's my good feeling that worries me so much. Theodore starting doesn't help.

My co-worker did kill me this afternoon, though, while I was climbing around in the storeroom in 3-inch heels. I stepped badly and tweaked an ankle, and he's all "Careful, they need you on the ice tonight".

Yeah, this one's big. We need this one to chase the second seed. Do I think we're going to get it? All reverse psychology aside, the smart money is on the Rangers tonight, and so be it.

But then, crazier miracles have happened to this team this season. One thing I am sure of is that tonight is do-or-die for Jose. That I'm dead sure of.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 23, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

@828: Sidney Crosby perfume? ROFLMFAO.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 23, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

They probably just bottle his tears.

Posted by: _jordan | December 23, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Although I think Johnson, today, is by far a better goalie than Theo, I think JT is capable and I am rooting for him to have a great game. I don't understand the insults he gets from the so called fans of the Caps; does anyone believe he is not giving his best? That is a great way to cheer for your team, insult them it would make them better. eh?

Posted by: opita | December 23, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz: You sound like me. Do you get nervous just before the puck drops? Although we're not lucky enough to get a couple of players back like we did against Boston. We were supposed to lose that game because Green and Federov were still out. If I remember right we got Poti and Semin back. Anyhow, like I said before that game. We will win tonight because we aren't supposed to win. Let's go Caps!

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 23, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@ superpaqman

"you mean Shenanigan's?"

Posted by: sargeantmofo | December 23, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

What i find odd is how quickly everyone gives up on Johnson. It seems like everything i'm reading is "neither johnson nor theodore can emerge as the number 1" or "neither is playing well" with the exception of the Flyers game Johnson's been great. Every single player on the team has bad games it's just much more important when it's the goalie. Luongo, Brodeur, Nabokov all the hot shot goalies get pulled from time to time. It sucks but it happens. Johnson has played great and is our number one guy until Theodore or Varlamov says otherwise. Think of him as this years Osgood

Posted by: dcfury | December 23, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

@dcfury: I wonder if maybe Johnson was sick on Saturday too and wasn't admitting it.

I still think we're in trouble, but if I preach doom and gloom and we win, then I want my crow in a balsamic reduction with a little bit of fresh basil and some cumin, please.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 23, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1: Heck yes I get nervous right before the puck drops.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 23, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by: superpaqman | December 23, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

@ Greg S.,

Well done my friend. The one thing we know is like every team in this league, we aren't going to win every game. There is no reason to get pissed, until the playoffs. We win more than we lose, we have talent for years to come. We should all be happy rather than bitter about losses. We got humbled on Saturday, tonight is another game. Lace em up and kick some a$$.

Posted by: ThePat | December 23, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Opita...it's the fan's right to cheer, boo or scream at any player especially since we pay their salaries.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 23, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Greg S.

You are right in preaching patience. We have seen the future (IMO) and it is good!

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 2:20 PM

828, VERY FUNNY! HA!

Posted by: Leeguru | December 23, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

wait a minute, I'M one of those Guru's that Greg S speaks of!

Posted by: Leeguru | December 23, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

lylewimbledon,

How do you know that your money doesn't go to cleaning the toilets at the Verizon Center?

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 1:51 PM

yah no prob! i forget they're kids sometimes too and I'm glad the org was patient with certain players (Steckel, Laich, even BGordon who is playing better now of late)

I didn't see Green make anywhere near as many mistakes as a rookie in his own end as he does now. Seems all he wants to do is skate up ice and he can't wait to exit his own zone. He's turned into a high risk player and one that Boudreau himself doesn't appear to trust as much in defensive situations. Mo and Poti are without a doubt our two most responsible defensive players. And with Jurcina's recent surge I'd put him above Green as well defensively. Ditto even Alzner who is playing better over the last 5 games. Collins, Helmer and Sloan work their butts off and I would rather have them on the ice protecting a lead than Green. MG just stands around too often not doing much. His injury makes him more vulnerable is all

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 23, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

The money has to be going for something, and it ain't humidifiers and ice gurus.

Posted by: Scott_in_Shaw | December 23, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1,

I hear ya on Green. He is frustrating to watch now. I was bitter when he allowed that short handed goal. I mean, it's no secret that Philly has best SH unit out there. So, wouldn't you think to be more careful. I give Green slack now because he can win us games or make up for some of his other issues.

I do remember Green turning the puck over so much a few years back... couldn't stand it. But then, I saw that he can score some goals and he has some other strengths... and that is what I saw in Lepisto... all of these guys are young. Ya know, people had issues with Semin. I kept saying - for forwards, they do not fully mature until they are 26... so far, Semin is better than he was last year... who knows, next year, he will be even better.

I completely agree with Greg S... patience is key. I would love to win every single game and dominate everyone. However, I have to understand that it prolly wont happen. I mean, what else can you do besides be supportive?

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't think of another word for "guru" so I used it. Basically, if you call yourself a hockey expert you'd better be prepared to prove yourself. Also, you're obviously not otherwise we'd see you on HNIC, Versus, or as a GM or coach.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 23, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

C'mon people. Stop replying to windjammer. He is clearly the same person who was a key contributor to the adoption of the login process. He was doing the "me me" crap then too.

Ignore him, scroll past his posts and just carry on with the worthwhile portion of the conversation.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 23, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero - what are your thoughts for tonights game?

BTW, you are going to get worked in fantasy this week! Haha, Sike, my team sucks... I need to trade all my players.

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

@828, Leeguru: You guys are right of course. We have seen the future and it is good, if we let it be the future. I think it'd be a mistake to bring Varlamov up, for example. It's too soon and I think that unless a miracle happens, what we've got this season is what we've got. Fortunately, we've got a lot - Hershey has been unbelievable this year. We've had a rash of injuries that would have trashed most teams' seasons, and we're still atop the Southeast and fifth or sixth in the league.

I also concur that it's absurd to count Johnny out because of one bad game. Bad games happen - anyone remember a 5-1 shellacking of Vancouver in which Luongo got pulled? Yeah, that one. I do think he needs another good goalie behind him to give us a good shot at round 2 of the playoffs. I don't have a lot of hope of Theo being that goalie, but I've been wrong before and will be again.

I still stand by my initial reaction to Theo starting - the Princess Bride quote. It just so happens that we've had some miracles and some balls bounce our way - and some decidedly not. Smart money is still on the Rangers tonight.

It's just so maddening to be so close and yet so far.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 23, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Trade them to me, especially if they are goalies..

Posted by: _jordan | December 23, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I self-proclaim myself "Student of Hockey". I'm always learning new stuff - just like in life. I'm quite happy as a life-long learner.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 23, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Now I'm stuck with the vision of Cindy in a tutu on the NHL Network pimping perfume. Thanks 828.

Next contest: Name the perfume

Posted by: Steve_R | December 23, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _jordan | December 23, 2008 1:58 PM

True that his role has changed significantly and he's asked to carry the puck more which gives him more opps for points and more opps for turnovers. But I think its the kind of turnovers he has, he looks very lax out there with the puck. He also doesn't play well defensively without the puck. I think most of us have seen that, thus the backlash

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 23, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

haha Jordan, my team is awesome... I was just trying to be the Caps message board for a second.

I have Conklin - you could trade for him?

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Next contest: Name the perfume

Posted by: Steve_R | December 23, 2008 3:10 PM

Punchus Testiculatum

Posted by: Greg S. | December 23, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Steve R... I totally want to create a commercial on youtube now of the Perfume... yes, we need a name.

I'll go first.

~ Icicle
~ Yellow Mist ? hahaha

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Lee, wasn't "guru" added to your name to poke fun at the other one?

Jordan, using logic in the Green talk doesn't seem to be working.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 23, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

or "cheap date" and show the cheap shots he takes in the background.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 23, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Green - He is a game changer. A one man breakout as Bruce called him.

Rather than focus on the turnovers that will gradually go away as he matures and becomes a better player, focus on the number of goals and offensive opportunities he creates. Even WITH the turnovers, he creates far more opportunities for the Caps than he does for the opponents with a stupid turnover. He is leading the team in +/- and that doesn't even factor in the PP goals he helps set up or scores himself.

Was that blue line turnover a huge mistake? Obviously. And it will happen from time to time but its a risk reward thing.

Finally its time for people to realize that there isn't 1 prototype for an NHL defenseman. Green is not and never will be a stay at home Bruiser. He will be a Norris trophy candidate provided he stays healthy.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 23, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Steve_R - haha, that's funny. I need to save that quote.

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Well said Sombrero

Posted by: Steve_R | December 23, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying that Leeguru is one of the "guru's" I was complaining about. There are others, and I believe that Steve is referring to the same one that uses that in their nick. There are others that don't use guru that seem to act like they are. They're included in my tirade above.

Sorry for the confusion.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 23, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S.: Me too :) I'm still learning the game. I make no secret of that. I'm not one of these people who's been around for fifty billion years and thinks I know everything.

Posted by: kittypawz | December 23, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

"Blue Balls" by Cindy Crosby

Posted by: Scott_in_Shaw | December 23, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero,

That is how I feel about Semin as well. He does more for, than against.
I thought Semin was leading the team and the league in +/-.

But yes, he is a game changer... All of our Young Guns are... well, the true Young Guns.

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Kittypawz - I will refrain from any "ball bouncing" comments.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 23, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"Blue Balls" is another good name!

~ "2nd Assist" by Cindy Crosby

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

UNLEASH THE WORRY!

i think the last time they were in this position, fresh call-ups, goalie issues they stoned the canadians in montreal...

the year they lost over 400 man games to injury they used like 41 guys. thats almost two full teams. we are approaching that now. karma is a great thing and we will hopefully be better for it in april/may and beyond.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 23, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

geauxcaps: thanks for the link. Fascinating story. However I don't see this as a cautionary tale against rushing Varlamov. I really don't. I see more similarities with Theo--brilliant athletes without the kind of mental toughness needed to sustain them in the long run. Success only added to the pressure after a point.

Posted by: caraveli | December 23, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I have one:

"Sulky" by Cindy

Posted by: Steve_R | December 23, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Now I'm some one how's in favor of taking our time and really giving guys a chance before doing anything crazy, and I was applying it to the goaltending situation until just now. As was pointed out to me do any of us really think Johnson or Theodore can get us past the first round? The Red Wings pulled it off with Osgood, but their defense is unreal. I don't know how you fix it, but we really need to if we want to be a legitimate team in the playoffs. The post season is decided by goaltending, and I really have no faith in Theodore getting us where a team of our caliber deserves to be.

Posted by: dcfury | December 23, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm a little worried about not having an enforcer in the lineup if DB can't go. The last time we were light with big fists DB got ejected after the Shanny fight and the goon Colton Orr cross checked OV across the chops. OV would be wise to keep his head up tonight.

Posted by: meagle | December 23, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

@Steve_R - That is PERFECT, and now I have to go home and design the bottle, ROFL.

"Sulky by Cindy"... I love it!!!

Posted by: irockthered | December 23, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

IRTR,

The bottle top should include a huge row of teeth

Posted by: Leeguru | December 23, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

@ Kittypawz

Jose in goal? "Inconceivable"

Posted by: TrappedinGA | December 23, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I got in trouble on this Green kick (sic) a couple of months ago. The team is built around an offensive style that focuses on AO (duh), Semin, Backstrom, and Green. To offset that, you need Mo, Schultz and Erskine types to keep the homeland safe.

You pick complimentary players in pairings. To make up for the weaknesses of one, you need to pair them with that as the strength of another.

Last year the Green-Mo pairing really worked well. Mo stayed home and covered for Green's piccadellos. I'm down with that.

I don't subscibe to the "Green is the best D-man" because of his lapses in the home turf. I think his point production skews his +/-. That's fine. What's great is he's a better D-man this year than last, and it hasn't really hurt his offensive production that much.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 23, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Well dcfury,
That is the beauty of sports - anything can happen. In the playoffs, Theo can get 10 shutouts in a row, or he can let in 50 goals and we still win. You never know what's going to happen. And yes, I think any one of our goalies is capable in getting us deep into the playoffs. Things change. Last month, Kiprosoft was allowing 3-5 goals a game... now, he is winning just about every single game and starting to get shutouts. Anything can happen. What's to say another goalie will play better? Johnson has to play good. If he doesn't, no one will sign him. Basically, he is hungry and if doesn't perform, he will be out of a job. Look how Theo and Huet played last year.

Things happen... I don't see why Johnson or Theodore can not lead us past the first round of the playoffs. They are professional athletes and at any time, can they have an amazing run. At Any Time.

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"Green is not and never will be a stay at home Bruiser. He will be a Norris trophy candidate provided he stays healthy."

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 23, 2008 3:18 PM
-------------------------------------------
Something tells me you'll be saying this at least a couple more times this year.

Posted by: Section117 | December 23, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

oops, they can have an amzing run...

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

@ all who basically say FISHDO in regard to the Philly loss:

You're right. We **will** lose some games (some of them badly). Every team does.

To the doomsayers:

To deny this is to end up sounding like the baseball press in NYC:

"If the Yankees don't win all 180 regular season games and sweep the World Series in 2 games, they're Bums."

...Or the hockey press in MTL:

"Si Les Habitants manquent de gagner quatre-vingt-dix jeux de saison réguliers cette année et gagner le Coupe Stanley dans trois jeux, donc ils ne jouent pas jusqu'aux attentes. Mérde Alors!"

(TRANSLATION: "If the Canadiens fail to win 90 regular season games this year and win the Stanley Cup in 3 games, then they are not performing up to expectations. Day-yum!").

Yes, I know those numbers are incorrect. They are deliberately so, to underline the point.

C'mon folks: NFL teams (playing a 16-game regular season with one game per week and maximum of 4 post-season games to win a title) are considered to be extraordinary if they manage to go undefeated.

Even if we don't go on a righteous tear, we're still on pace for 100+ point season. If I'm not mistaken, that usually not only gets you into the NHL playoffs most years, but gives you a pretty good chance at home ice throughout.

No one who posts here will argue that--in just about every measureable way--hockey is more physically demanding than football. Therefore, it is unrealistic--to say the least--to expect a hockey team to win all 82 regular season games AND the minimum 16 playoff games needed to capture the Cup.

This being the case, I will never be the one to cry doom over a single loss after a 5-game winning streak. I'll just drive on, knowing that the loss will make the next Caps victory (TRANSLATION: Can of whup-@$$ opened on a team we "weren't supposed to beat") that much sweeter.

On another note, just wanted to throw this topic out there:

Injuries and goalie "controversy" notwithsanding, these facts remain:

--WAS is still #1 in SE division.
--WAS is tied for 3rd in the Eastern Conference.
--In the ENTIRE NHL, only San Jose has a better home record this season--and they're just scary.

These are NOT the hallmarks of a doomed team or a team that sucks.

That said, the Phone Booth arguably has some of the worst ice in the NHL.

Questions, then:

1) Has the bad ice contributed to our injury problems?
2) Has the bad ice helped us to win at home?
3) Can anything be done about it?
4) Should anything be done about it?

Please discuss.

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 23, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Let's get a few things straight:

1. Green is VERY important to the Caps postseason prospects. The rap on this team is the goalies but in actuality the inability of the defensemen to clear the defensive zone and control the puck is a visible cause when the team has struggled. Green is the team's best puckhandler from the backline and his ability to control the breakout is key for this club. Anyone who says the team can win without him long-term is sorely mistaken.

2. Michael Nylander IS a savvy veteran and a good player to have on the roster as long as Sergei Fedorov continues to be out of the lineup. The problem for Michael is that when Fedorov IS in the lineup Sergei fills the same role that Michael does and thus Michael's minutes decline. Given his contract, having Nylander play as a third or fourth line center is not in the cards for this club over time. When Fedorov comes back I think you will see Nylander traded to another team to open up cap room and allow the club to keep Alzner on the parent club.

3. The Caps might envision waiting until 2009 to bring Varlamov up to play a significant role, but the current situation with Theodore's inconsistent play and Johnson's durability might cause that to change. I find this situation akin to the Nationals with Jesus Flores. Flores was supposed to spend a year in the minors playing every day and coming to the majors full-time in 2009. However, he proved himself better than either LoDuca or Estrada and became the regular catcher a year earlier than expected.

4. Given all the injuries what this team has done so far this season is REMARKABLE. Fans here should be VERY satisfied that the Caps have perhaps the deepest organization in the NHL and can play better than .500 hockey with so many regulars in and out of the lineup. So, stop complaining and give McPhee and Boudreau a hand.

Posted by: leopard09 | December 23, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Crosby Fragrance?

How about

"Heth Tho HANTHOME!"

or

"Beak Reek"

or

"Eau De Mario" (he wishes)

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 23, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

@caraveli

There may not be similarities between Varlamov and Carey from an attitude standpoint, I agree with you there. McPhee and Boudreau did make the point, however, that Varlamov needs to learn how to pace himself better physically for a longer season. That could be smoke blown Tarik's way or it might be true and just as important a reason to move slowly with him (I wonder if this is why talented young goalies like Kari Lehtonen in ATL have had such problems sticking around and staying healhty? I don't know). We don't want him flaming out in April after a brilliant regular season, now, do we? Plus, I would guess it keeps him hungrier if it's not given to him right away.

Posted by: geauxcaps | December 23, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Questions, then:

1) Has the bad ice contributed to our injury problems?
2) Has the bad ice helped us to win at home?
3) Can anything be done about it?
4) Should anything be done about it?

Please discuss.

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 23, 2008 3:57 PM

I think that the ice is a minor contributor to the injury situation. Green, Feds, Sloan, and Erskine were injured on the road (I think that's correct). Schultz was hit by a stick, Clark into the boards, bodies and goal posts several times over time.

I think the fans excite play by the Caps. And why not? They're playing great at home, and not too bad on the road (over .500).

The booth should/could be colder. I think it was IRock that said MSG was colder than the booth. That would help with the ice quality.

So what can be done about it? Not much can be done until the owner passes away.

Posted by: Greg S. | December 23, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Re: Green and "stupid penalties"...

I'm not yet finished with my research, but up until the last time Green went out (Nov. 19), he had accumulated a whopping 12 minutes in the sin bin, 10 of them for hooking and 2 for tripping.

That is 4 fewer PIMs than Ovechkin had to that point, but I don't hear anyone yelling about Ovi taking too many stupid penalties. :) And I doubt anyone will.

If you line the PIMs up to date, taking only the defensemen, Erskine has 29 and Green only 20, and Erskine's been out longer. Poti has only 8 PIMs in the same number of games as Green's played, so there are players on the blue line who take fewer penalties than Green - and I should note that in 13 games, Karl Alzner still has 0 PIMs! - but my point was SUPPOSED to be that the penalties Green takes are no worse than the penalties others on the team take... except...

Of the D-men in double digits for PIMs...

Poti: 8 PIMs in 23 games (.347)
Jurcina: 26 PIMs in 34 games (.764)
Steckel: 22 PIMs in 31 games (.709)
Green: 20 PIMs in 23 games (.869)
Morrison: 28 PIMs in 28 games (1.00)
Erskine: 29 PIMs in 20 games (1.45)

So he's third-worst among defensemen on the team for PIMS per game played. Poti's penalties are VERY low for a guy who's played as many games as he has. The Hershey guys all have fewer, but they have all played in fewer games.

But if you take the +/- rating, Green, at +9, is better than all other defensemen on the team, with Alzner sneaking up on him at +8. Alzner will hopefully have a better rating than Green after tonight.

In any case, my original point was about "stupid penalties". Green doesn't take as many as some; he takes more than others.
Admittedly, the difference between Green and Erskine is pretty big, but still.

If you add up all the PIMs (133) against D-men, and add up all the games (159) and do the PIMs per game thing... the average for a D-man is .846. That puts Green a little bit above average, but not nearly as bad as Erskine and Morrisonn.

So there. ;-)

(Lies, damn lies, and statistics. I like Green; I'll make no bones about it. I think he's a good player, and he's still young enough that he's still developing into the player he will one day be. I'm gonna keep defending him, because I think he's cool. So if you don't like it, go sit on a tack. ;-)

(Yes, I'm teasing!)

GOOD LUCK TONIGHT, BOYS!!! I'm out to dinner. :)

Posted by: irockthered | December 23, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

@828 - haha Alex Semin frustrated me at times last year, I will admit, but this year he seems to work a lot harder at "correcting" a turnover by hustling back. I can't wait until he's healthy again.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | December 23, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

@Greg S. - No, it's the arena in Philly that was fracking COLD. I have not been to MSG. But I'd say that Wachovia Center was a good 15 degrees colder than the Phone Booth, because I dressed the way I normally do, and I sat there shivering in my boots. It was C-O-L-D in there!!!

Posted by: irockthered | December 23, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"Tears", by Cindy.

"The beetch" (paraphrasing Seinfeld)

Posted by: mauree | December 23, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

828,
I wish i agreed with you, but the numbers don't lie. Anything can happen but that doesn't mean it will. Erskine might score 10 goals next game he plays, but do you honestly believe he will? Theodore hasn't won a single game in the second round or been able to keep his playoff GAA under three since before the lockout. Any goalie can get hot, but I think Johnson's improved play has more to do with wanting to be the number one guy since he has the opportunity to be. I have a good amount of faith in Johnson, but i think the increased playing time is taking it's toll on him a little bit. Hopefully things will get better, but I think the saddest thing in all this is Jose might have even been a step down from Kolzig.

Posted by: dcfury | December 23, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Dude, Kolzig realllyyyyyy sucked last year. Theo is just sucking a little now. Apples and oranges.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 23, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Plus, how many different D men did Olie have in front of him vs the revolving door in front of Theo? Olie brought sucking into whole new territories of unexplored suckiness.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 23, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Theodore this season-
SV% .883 GAA 3.26

Kolzig last season-
SV% .892 GAA 2.91

Facts are facts, and the fact of the matter is we threw Kolzig under the bus at the first sign of trouble, and yet with Theodore it's "oh it's a slump, he just needs more time"

Posted by: dcfury | December 23, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I agree that having a revolving door of defenseman would be tough, but it's not effecting Johnson so how can it be a viable excuse for Theodore

Posted by: dcfury | December 23, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

well,we will need 4 for more to overcome Jose Three or more

Posted by: ergoroc | December 23, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

dcfury,

What were Olie's numbers from the start of the 2007 season to 12/23/07?

You weren't comparing Theo to Johnny, but
Olie to Theo.

"Facts are facts, and the fact of the matter is we threw Kolzig under the bus at the first sign of trouble"

Who threw Olie under the bus? I remember people defending him to the point it got silly. Any Olie abuse wasn't received well at all no matter how badly he sucked. I haven't been seeing a lot of Theo defending going on here, more pro Varlamov and pro Johnny talk than anything else.

Theo's contract makes him untradable at this point. What other choice is there but to play him and hope he gets his head screwed on straight? Waive him? Great. No one picks him up and the team is still on the hook for the salary. How does that help?

Posted by: Steve_R | December 23, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

If Jose lets in 5 tonight, what do you think will happen?

Posted by: rachel216 | December 23, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Well said Steve_R...Well said.

Posted by: capsrule828 | December 23, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I think Jose is feeling a lot of pressure.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 23, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

WOW ... nothing like an announcement that Jose is going to be in goal to make the board explode!! Any word on who will be back up?

Steve:
Tonight's the night - Erskine on wing, Brett to center.

Leeguru:
Can I please have a Beamer for Christmas?

Posted by: Boo- | December 23, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

BRING THE KID UP!!
Theodore and Johnson belong on the injured list. The blue line is getting killed due to number of injuries. You are not going to "burn out" the young Russian easily...remember THEY ARE YOUNG, unlike some of us. Day to day sounds just great with me.

Posted by: lesliematthews | December 23, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

ok I need some explanation from the blog experts..........Laing is the last guy sent to Hershey after training camp and is the only guy not to be called back up? Yes there is waiver issue but he is a ufa at seasons end so are the Caps gonna use him or just let him walk away in June? I dont really get his treatment when our pk is hurting. Do the caps really fear losing him so much they wont use him. Doesnt make sense if they lose him in June anyway.

Posted by: wendel2 | December 23, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Boo, of course you can. Just come on by. Wait for it out front. Don't worry if you are waiting long... ;)

Steve, that comment was well thought out. Very good! You make me so proud!

Posted by: Leeguru | December 23, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

If Jose sucks bad - he could be a very over paid minor leaguer.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 23, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
Not feelin' the love ... (sniff*sniff).

So what does this all REALLY mean? Are we doomed? Will the Cardiac Caps Kiddies surprise us yet again? I am predicting a high scoring game, but make no predictions about the winner. I don't think it will be a blow out, but I don't think it will be a one goal game, but it won't be a blow out. (Is that vague enough?!?) The boys are fired up after being schooled this weekend. The newbies are excited to be in the bigs. They will make some mistakes, but they will play well overall. No worries here. Besides, regardless of what happens, I'm just lookin' forward to gettin' my hockey on. Heck, if they have to lose, do it at MSG - bring home the wins (and a few more healthy players) this weekend. We're still #1 in the SE - it's all good.

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Boo- | December 23, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Sorry boo, i'm a scrooge this time of year. My people hating peeks at this point.

Posted by: Leeguru | December 23, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Steve R about Kolzig. Last year it was like the "Emperor's New Clothes" until the very end. No matter what he did, no one dared voice even the slightest question about him. I kept staring at his stats and reading the various reviews in disbelief. They did not match up. It WAS silly.

I remember, in fact, that in several of the games he lost, players were often quoted as saying that they blamed themselves for letting Kolzig down. He was certainly a sacred cow. I was sorry to see him leave in such an embarrassing, deflating way but everyone seemed to be in denial for so long.

This is not the case with Theo. He is not someone who is weakened by age and longevity but by his own psychological or whatever else shortcomings. When we were in Canada this summer, a former NHL goalie coach described him as talented but "lazy." I am not sure if he meant it literally or in terms of his commitment or what. No matter. There is a strong possibility that he may shine the second half of the year.

Posted by: caraveli | December 23, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

re olie under the bus, they tried to throw olie under the bus, but it went through his five hole...bada bing. too easy.

but seriously, his situation was handled poorly from both sides, but fact is that he just wasn't very good last year. not $6M good, thats for sure. he got the deserved benefit of the doubt in the years before given what was in front of him, but last year he should have been better and wasn't.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 23, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

4 subjects

Goalie: how many more starts do you give JT before deciding it was a bad signing? JT, get your act together tonight!

SE Division; Does anyone believe that a SE Banner impresses anyone?

Injuries: With the goalie situation a revolving door, let the boys heal until BB/GM decide on the JT experiment (gone horribly wrong). I think it's awesome to get your prospects called up with the hope that one day they could stay.... besides the two Lepisto catastrophes behind the net vs Carolina & NYI, that cost us only one of those games, how have the crew performed any worse than the usual non-scoring suspects?

New Fans: things could be worse... you could have new fans and the Caps could be 9 games under .500 instead of 9 games over. 500 ... Do groups exist that don't have the anti-warm & fuzzy approach?

Posted by: IzzySez | December 23, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ChrisAm | December 23, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

With Regards to Mike Green, he is young and a future Norris Trophey candidate for sure. No one can deny how badly his absence was felt in LA and San Jose after he got hurt. The Caps almost seemed lost. That being said, he will play undisciplined at times and take bad penalties or give the puck away in key moments. All the more reason the Caps NEED a veteran defenseman before the playoffs if the want to go deep. The goalie situation should work itself out one way or another, but without a solid D teams will wear the Caps down over seven games ala a grinding, non-impressive Flyers team last year.

I think the Rangers, Bruins, Sabres games should really show us the reality of the Caps- expose the weaknesses and how big their hearts. Should be a good proxy for GMGM to see where the holes are that he needs to fill!

Posted by: CaliforniaCapsFan | December 23, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Are us regulars not warm and welcoming to new people? We don't mean to be. We mostly hate trolls.

Posted by: Leeguru | December 23, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

As to +/- ratings being an accurate measure of a player's performance:
1. If you as a player are on the ice with the top goal scorers (who will likely score 60% or more of total goals), chances are their +/- will be better. Doesn't mean you are better than any other player.
2. If you're a lucky D man on the bench, when the D-man on the ice makes a line change (after he's done his job in getting the puck into the opponent's zone) and you come on the ice just as a goal is being scored, your +/- looks good. Have seen this happen at least 4 times with Alzner (coming on the ice just as a goal is being scored).
3. Sometimes the stats man doesn't get the jersey numbers right & the wrong man gets credited with being on the ice. Just recently this happened - Green was on the bench & got credited with a +1. These never seem to be corrected.
4. This is a TEAM game. As a player you can be doing everything right, but if someone on your line messes up & a goal is scored, you're still a -1. Happens alot.
One player doesn't control the game.
5. If you're a defensive defenseman you'll be on the ice against your opponent's best line. Obviously the chances of being a -1 are alot higher than if you're playing against the opponent's weakest line.
Blocked shots, take-aways, winning scrums along the boards to get the puck to your team mate(s), poke checking, winning a face-off, & whether or not you're consistently playing against the opponent's best or weakest line are all much better stats to be considering when determining player performance. The +/- rating is a sham, all things considered.

Posted by: gogetem | December 23, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

who is capsrule828? Man, that's my number!

Posted by: _828 | December 23, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Lee, I guess we're just not warm and fuzzy people.

Posted by: Steve_R | December 23, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Just got home from my last minute shopping- and I am wiped out.. But anyways, seeing the headline :Johnson sick; Theodore to start" wasn't something I wanted to see. But then again, I haven't completely given up on Theodore, just yet. So hopefully he makes the best out of this chance, and doesn't make me look like some hopeful, foolish kid.

Sucks that Brash is out, but I'm interested to see what A. Gordon can do.

Posted by: elicea | December 23, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse