Johnson Signs with Penguins

Backup goaltender Brent Johnson signed a one-year deal with the rival Pittsburgh Penguins today, according to their team Web site. Capitals GM George McPhee declined to comment on Johnson's departure.

In June, Johnson told Tarik El-Bashir that he wanted to stay in Washington, but with Jose Theodore and prospects Simeon Varlamov and Michal Neuvirth all under contract, there likely would not have been room for him here.

Johnson was 12-6-2 with a .908 save percentage and 2.81 goals against average in 2008-09 before suffering a hip injury.

Mike Knuble was at Kettler Capitals Iceplex today and so be sure to check back for an update on one of the newest Caps.

By Katie Carrera  |  July 21, 2009; 2:17 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Three Stars of Camp: Dubuc, Perreault and Carlson
Next: Johnson's Odd Man Out. Again.

Comments

ughhh, i really liked Johnny too, one of the nicest guys on the team.

anywho, good luck to him!

Posted by: jogabonito | July 21, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Unsurprising.

I liked him, but he was #3 in the depth chart at best after Varlamov's playoff performance.

But I will echo the sentiments of WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE PITTSBURGH??? Ah, well.

Posted by: SmallZ827 | July 21, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

As I said on the last thread, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Anywhere but there...

Posted by: hbcapsfan | July 21, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

That's too bad, although if you look at what the Pens have done this offseason they've got some good value pick-ups, Johnny and McKee to name a few.

Posted by: superpaqman | July 21, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

maybe he's like a double agent or something and will go all tanya harding on cindy right before the first game.

Posted by: jamebow | July 21, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Johnny is now dead to me.

Posted by: StikSav | July 21, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Knuble is in town is the more important part of that entry.

Posted by: ThePat | July 21, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Man this makes me feel ill. I figured Johnny was out, but to Pittsburgh? Just seems wrong. Best of luck to Johnny though.

Posted by: lloydrj727 | July 21, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I wish him luck, but rooting for him's a stretch.

One thing, though - the odds of them putting Johnny in net against Washington are pretty slim. Washington's one of the bigger fish in the Eastern pond.

Posted by: kittypawz | July 21, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I know someone mentioned that Johnny had to do what was best for him and his family. Still, it doesn't make it any easier to swallow that Brent is now a Penguin. I feel bad for him though. Next time the Penguins come to town, he's going to be on the losing team. *evil grin*

At least we've sorta' resolved part of the goalie problem. It's going to be a battle royale with Theo, Varly, and Neuvy prolly all itchin' to be a part of the Cup run this year. It's going to be some run though!!!

Start practicing your vocal chords for it, folks, "Let's GOOO Caps!"

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 21, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Waiting to hear more about Knuble. So he's in town, now?

Posted by: kittypawz | July 21, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

why did Johnny have to go to the Pens?! why not Vancouver or Calgary or somewhere else far away?!

Posted by: sargeantmofo | July 21, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Well, I never much thought I'd be saying this, but there is now a Penguin I actually like.

Alas! Of all the places to go...

Posted by: Desu | July 21, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I liked Johnson, but if he is going to Pittsburgh just to get a ring before he retires then I hope he is now the new carrier for the "Hossa" curse. Here is hoping that Johnson plays "ALOT" next season!

Posted by: JohnWWW | July 21, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

i would rather loose Theodore but best of luck to Johnson, He did well for us for years. All hail the youth.

Posted by: gatsu | July 21, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Knife directly through the heart. Why did it have to be the stupid Penguins?!

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | July 21, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

According to some of the reports he signed a one year deal for 525k. Too bad we couldn't move Theo as that 525 would have looked great on the books if he's injury free.

Posted by: larryn703 | July 21, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

From the previous thread...

Cooke departed from Washington because GM didn't give re-signing him a second look. He wanted to stay but got nothing from us. I've also heard he was not a locker room favorite, to put it mildly.

he left here feeling totally rejected, and couldn't wait to jam a stick in our eye whenever he got the chance. that's why he was the first to whine and complain when we went up 2-0, saying 'I know the Caps, I was there, they cheat (OV's game 2 power play goal) and OV's a cheap head hunter'... yak yak yak..

it was all driven by our rejection of him...

Johnny's situation is not analogous...

Posted by: capsfan7 | July 21, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Cooke was not the player that made the difference in the Pens winning the cup.

Posted by: doughless | July 21, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Very sad to see Brent, one of my favorite goalies, go to the Dark Side.

The real loser here is not Brent, and certainly not the evil dark lords of Western PA, but the stupid idiots in Philly, who are stuck with two inferior goalies (brainless Ray Emery, slow and stupid Brian Boucher) when they could have had Brent. I actually sent messages to Flyer brass to go get Brent, since it was obvious he had no future with the Caps other than at Hershey.

Posted by: Exile_in_Philly | July 21, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Johnny! We will miss you. Sorry you chose the Pittsburgh P*ssies as your next team. Good luck and don't expect us to be nice unless its outside the arena.

Where are all the Pens fans rubbing this one in our face? Figured they would be all over this.

Posted by: jmurray019 | July 21, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck to Johnny. Here's hoping he stays healthy this year and maybe signs with a better team next year.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | July 21, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmurray019 | July 21, 2009 3:34
------------------------
True conversation between me and a co-worker who is a Pens fan:

Me: Your Pens just signed Brent Johnson today.
Co-worker: Who is Brent Johnson?
Me: He was the Caps backup goalie last couple years.
Co-worker: Is he any good?
Me: He's ok. Spent part of last season on the DL with hip surgery.
Co-worker: Oh. Not a good thing for a goalie. Well, I guess he'll be ok sitting on the bench while Fluery plays. You guys still have Theo, right?
Me: Yes (sighs)

Posted by: tess2201 | July 21, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

good luck Brent! At least I got to see you dominate the Sens 5-1 last season.

I wish you luck but I hope you get the same treatment on ice as Olie got the time he played against the Caps. hehehehe...

Posted by: Andoy | July 21, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else think it's funny that Pittsburgh keeps taking our guys, even though their fans continue to say our players suck? Seems pretty interesting to me...

Posted by: theredberocked | July 21, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

who cares what team Johnson signed with?? He's just a backup goaltender who won't be involved when it matter (Playoffs) ... Pittsburgh can have him.

Posted by: tony325 | July 21, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Heres to hoping that he starts one game at the verizon center next year and gets lit up like a christmas tree.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | July 21, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

johnny
cooke
rico fata

johnny signed a one year deal so he could come back when theo goes away....dont give away the 1 yet...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | July 21, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

GO TO HELL, BRENT JOHNSON

Posted by: ahbest3 | July 21, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

(in a playfull sorta way)

Posted by: ahbest3 | July 21, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

What an a-hole. What an a-hole. What else can I say.

Posted by: blanknerc | July 21, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

TREASON!!!!

Posted by: cbmuzik | July 21, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

What if we aren't ready to have Varlamov-Neuvirth as 1-2 and we re-sign Johnny next summer...

Posted by: wis193 | July 21, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | July 21, 2009 3:49 PM

Have you heard of backup Chris Osgood? Backup to Hasek, then took over to take the Wings to the SC?

Yeah. It matters.

Posted by: Greg S. | July 21, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Heard this on the drive home today. It's an excellent signing for the Pens. Johnson is a solid back-up, he's inexpensive, and he seems to be a really good guy. The Pens needed a competent back-up who wouldn't break the bank, and today, that's exactly what they got.

As someone who also likes watching the Caps, I'm a "little" concerned about this, simply because I think it's a little early to be 100% sure about Varly. If Theo reverts to Ranger-series form, and Varly has any of the travails that sometimes hit young/inexperienced goalies, that could be trouble, especially given the overall team defense.

But, it's a salary cap world ... can't keep everyone.

Posted by: PensFan98 | July 21, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

...and so be sure to check back for an update on one of the newest Caps.

By Katie Carrera | July 21, 2009; 2:17 PM ET

Wow! This is going to be a great post! It's 4:30 and still no update from 2:15. So much stuff to write and edit about Newbie Knuble!

Yes, I'm being sarcastical and am going through the DT's...

Posted by: Greg S. | July 21, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Cooke was not the player that made the difference in the Pens winning the cup.

Posted by: doughless | July 21, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

The energy and forecheck that he brought to the top lines certainly made him valuable.

Posted by: theredberocked | July 21, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they just don't take the players who really do suck :)

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 21, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

speaking of..a player who really needs to step it up this year or he can forget about coming back next season is Boyd Gordon. Its nice that he's tried to carve out a little niche for himself as a Cap (not pricey, good faceoff guy, doesn't take PIMs). But he needs to do more or the young kids coming thru the system will quickly squeeze him out of a job (sorry leftcoastcapsfan)
Over the past 3 yrs here are his diminishing returns. Less games played, less points. Someone in his career stage needs to show an upward trend.
2006-07 71 7 22 29 14
2007-08 67 7 9 16 12 (playoffs) 7 0 0 0 0
2008-09 63 5 9 14 16 (playoffs)14 0 3 3 4

Someone who gets the ice time he does should easily be getting over 5-7 goals a season. And his playoff performances have left something to be desired as well. You have to get more production and energy out of your role players like BG

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 21, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I like whales getting harpooned and baby fur seals getting clubbed silly...but I'm a supporter of the World Wildlife Fund. Makes as much sense as PensFan98 having to always clarify that he also likes watching the Capitals. I suppose "PensFanbutIalsoLikeWatchingtheCapitals98" is too long of a User ID for the message board.

And before you go off on me because the above isn't hockey-related, you have to admit it's kinda' funny.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 21, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Someone ought to let Johnny know too that the Penguins success this past season doesn't guarantee success next year. Would s*ck to be him when we win next year. Fire his manager when we win next year. Ha!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 21, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 21, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

And it'll be harder for them considering they lost their top defensive pairing from last season (Gill and Scuderi).

Posted by: CDon | July 21, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Reading someone's suggestion that he took a one-year deal so he can return to back up Varlamov after Jose hits the road made me smile. Let's hope that is the case!

Posted by: thiazzi | July 21, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

You're right ... losing Gill and Scuderi leaves a void on defense. Signing McKee helps somewhat, but as with the Caps young D-men, some of the Pens youth will have to make progress and improve this year (Letang, Goligoski, and Lovejoy in particular).

And Lefty ... I just don't understand your fascination with me. You sure are a kooky one sometimes (not that there's anything wrong with that). As I've said .... it really isn't hard to be a Pens fan who also enjoys watching the Caps, especially since I get every game here on Comcast Sportsnet in Gettysburg. With the history between the two teams, I can understand that it would be difficult (maybe impossible) for a Caps fan to enjoy watching the Pens though. ;o)

Posted by: PensFan98 | July 21, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Man, how can someone watch sports like that? "I am a Redskins fan, but I also like watching the Cowboys when I can." "I was born and raised in New England and love the Red Sox, but I try to follow the Yankees and support them, too." WHERE'S THE OUTRAGE.

Puck Fittsburgh, I say.

Posted by: SmallZ827 | July 21, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

YUCK to BJ becoming a Pen.
YUCK to Cooke...what a goon.
YUCK to the Pens in general!

Posted by: NatyBG | July 21, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PensFan98 | July 21, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Dont mind Lefty. He just has an issue with any fan who doesn't constantly sing the praises of his team regardless of what they do.

Regarding the Pens -- I always thought Gill was overrated and Scuderi was underrated but I think they'll be fine. McKee needs to stay healthy (big ?mark), and Mike Rupp was a solid signing. He just really strengthened their checking/4th line. This way they don't need to dress a tough guy every game because Rupp can play that role and still provide good minutes. He's like a tougher version of Dave Steckel and he can plan C and LW.

They also signed Flyer prospect Nate Guenin who is a good defensive depth player.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 21, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

hmm..Tampa continues to rebuild itself in the Rick Tocchet mold. They should have the roughest nastiest team in the SE div this year and we may regret not filling Brashear's role. They just picked up David Hale and Todd Fedoruk for Vrbata. Fedoruk isn't the fighter he once was but he's a big load who skates well enough to lay some heavy hits and plays a pretty nasty game. Hale is an ex-top pick of the Devils who plays a defense-first hardnosed style.

I don't know how many games Tampa or Toronto will win this year but these are two teams who have completely transformed their makeup over the past year. They were two of the softest teams in the nhl and are now two of the toughest.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 21, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see a lot of disappointment on Crosby's face next season. And a boatload of Malkin meltdowns please!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 21, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thiazzi | July 21, 2009 5:11 PM |
Why would you want him to back up Varly next year? you want Varly and Neuvy to be number 1 and 2 next year. Barring injuries to either one, Johnson ain't comeing back to washington next year or anytime soon.

Posted by: joek443 | July 21, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1: As a fan, do you honestly think your complaining and your in-depth analyses contradicting anything that the Capitals say or do have any impact on the way the organization is run?

Do the Capitals take a daily poll on which players or which coaches to keep based on what you and your ilk say and then take action based on your own recommendations? Are they calling you up and saying, "Cstanton, great call on that one. However could we make it through this salary cap age without you! Here, here's a bazillion dollars. Stay on that message board on the Washington Post website and keep those other fans who aren't as savvy as you pointing out what's wrong with us. Lord knows the United States wouldn't be in the mess it's been if Bush had only read all your postings on his actions on the Washington Post message boards." No, really, cstanton1, I don't take people seriously who have a bloated opinion of themselves who feel the need to redirect everyones' lips to their behind. I'll pass, thank you very much.

@PensFan98: Talk about an epiphany. I can understand how you can be a Pens' fan and be able to enjoy the Capitals too. And you hit the nail on the head when you said that it'd be difficult the other way around. I have a slightly higher opinion of you after that. Only slightly. I want to leave it open for me to bat you over the head with a foam bat the next time our teams play each other. =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 21, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough!

And ... if you ever do a family trip to historic Gettysburg, I'll buy you a beer, and we can talk Pens/Caps. ;o)

Jeff

Posted by: PensFan98 | July 21, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I'll insist on buying the first round. Surviving my first season of Capitals hockey fanaticism doesn't deserve a free beer just yet. I'll take it when we win the Cup this year, Jeff. =)

Oliver.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 21, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Bad mistake letting Johnson go, he would be Varly's back up. Here's the brutal truth as far personnel moves go: 1)Let Theodore and Nylander go, either by trade or waiver. Great if we can trade them, but if not, waive them and take the cap hit. 2) Brashear has to be replaced. The Caps are a big team, but they're not really a fighting team. "Ole #87 made teams play hockey and didn't allow the cheap shots to go unchecked. 3) This is Ovechkin's team. He needs to be made Captain. Clark would be a good 3rd or 4th liner, but he needs to take a pay cut for the team.

Posted by: debailey2 | July 21, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Piss off Johnson. You are 3rd or 4th string here in Washington.

Posted by: ejohnsto | July 21, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton
"He's like a tougher version of Dave Steckel"

Please don't tell me that you think he's even remotely close to being as good as Steckel. Rupp is a lot closer to a Matt Bradley type than he is Steckel.

Posted by: ouvan59 | July 21, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Great guy, just made a horrible decision to go to Pennsyltucky! Have I told you I hate everything about that part of Pennsyltucky? Hope the door didn't hit you in the @ss on the way out. I would be a lot more sorryful had you gone somewhere else, hell even the Flyers! But the Pens? The Pens? Unreal.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | July 22, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Is there any doubt at all that when we play the Pens in the playoffs that Fleury(who I personally don't think is all that)won't necessarily be in goal? Could be an injury or he may not even be the better goalie at that point. Johnny is solid and this is could bite us in the ass bigtime. Mark My Words!

It's a bad omen

Posted by: broud0 | July 22, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

pensfan98...since you are in Gettyburg, have you had the occasion to get hotdogs at Ernies Texas Lunch? Best dogs around.

Posted by: nimrodrsp | July 22, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse