Johnson: 'They had to do more than expected'

Brent Johnson came to KCI this morning, walking gingerly with the aid of crutches one week after having surgery on his hip. He told me he's already feeling much better. But he still doesn't know when -- or if -- he'll be able to return.

"They had to do more than they had expected," said Johnson, who had a labral tear repaired. "It was something with the bone that wasn't normal. Actually, it was probably, as the doc said, doing it for five or so years. And it just gave out and ripped the labrum. The friction is what caused it."

"The surgery went well," he added. "My leg feels great. I'm going to see [team physician Benjamin] Dr. Shaffer tomorrow and then we'll go from there."

Asked if he's aiming to return this season, Johnson said: "We're eight weeks away from the playoffs. So if I'm on it [in a few weeks] and I can start taking shots, I'm usually pretty good about coming back after being off for a while. The main thing is I want to be back. But I have to do everything by script. I don't want to do anything so that this is going to be bothering me for the rest of my career."

Sounds to me like Johnson wants to come back. But his return also sounds unlikely, even if the Caps make an extended run in the playoffs.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 17, 2009; 6:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who's That Kid?
Next: Kovalev Sent Home

Comments

but his hip feels better, and that is most improtant.

Posted by: Leeguru | February 17, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

It'd be nice for Johnny to come back. If it's likely that Theodore may or may not stay with us after the 2009-2010 season. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 17, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes Johnny -- get well soon.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 17, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS Canadiens star Alex Kovalev has been given a leave of absence and will not be travelling with the team this week to Washington and Pittsburgh. As of now, the team is saying the reason is that he is tired and not playing well.

GM Bob Gainey called his play "unacceptable," and I have a feeling Kovalev won't be on this team as of March 4. If the Habs had really wanted to damage control this situation, they simply could have made Kovalev a healthy scratch or said he was out with an "undisclosed injury."

Something big is up in Montreal. It sounds like Gainey is putting the hammer down in an effort to save the season.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 17, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

habs also sent down sergei kostitsyn.

hm...

Posted by: richmondphil | February 17, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Wishing Johnny a speedy (and complete) recovery!

Counting down the days 'til this weekend! Yay live hockey!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 17, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Kinda commenting on the morning reading from the Times article, I'm elated now more than ever we got Theo for 2 years at 4.5 per instead of Huet for 3 at 5 per OR even worse what Chi gave him 4 for 5.6 per I believe it was. I think having seen Varly and Neuvy in action this season even GMGM would readily admit it was the better deal to "get stuck with" Theo instead of Huet. It's very clear "the plan" with regards to building and maintaining this team to first turn it into a contender and maintain that status for the foreseeable future is right on track.

By the time Semin and Backie are up for new deals we'll have some of the older guys come off the books. Theo comes off right before they need new deals, and we have 2 much cheaper (probably better by then) options ready to go. The idea we need to "replace" Nylander is silly with how limited his contributions have been this season. I'd like to have Kozzy healthy right now, but in truth would he merely be a 3rd line guy? The SOB line at max effectiveness may arguably be the best line in the NHL. So far so good with the F line, will it be this consistent for the rest of the season and/or playoffs? Who knows, but signs are looking positive.

Feds at best would probably play one more season, and there are options in the system that hopefully could step up to be a 2nd line center. Although we complain so much about our defense, the truth of it is we've been banged up a lot of the year, and virtually every one of these guys is still YOUNG and going to get better. With other options maturing in the system, we may have prospect depth on both defense and between the pipes to trade for more picks or to fill in holes as needed.

The future is bright and the present is already at or beyond expectations.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 17, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Surely posted prev:

Green is #1

Datsyuk reminds me of the troubled artist guy from Wedding Crashers

Posted by: austinsteve | February 17, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

I know this is something that everybody already knows but have the following is another episode that proves this point unmistakenly: Sportstalk ESPN 980 is a COMPLETE JOKE! Instead of talking about the best team in town and a great story in hockey...they had a segment on who would win a chimp vs. Pit Bull contest. Stupidity reins supreme.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 17, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Hope Johnson gets better soon.

Anyone else see the video on Caps website re: visit to Childrens Medical Center? Those guys are just great, and Semin playing Spongebob was the sweetest thing.

Wow, tomorrow's game will be interesting. Hope we do not get too excited with who is not going to be there and focus on who is.

Did Viktor tweak his groin in a game at VC or at an away game? Sorry, just can't remember.

Posted by: Kim-3 | February 17, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Wow ... tomorrow's game is at 7:30? When do we ever have 7:30 home starts?!? Wouldn't you know that this is the one time I will actually be downtown early. Normally I am going nuts trying to get through traffic in time to make a 7:00 start. Yup, the one time I don't need extra time I will actually have gobs of it. Silly little ironic life.

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 17, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Get better soon, Johnny!

I'd like to see Alzner spend the rest of the season in Hershey - and get some playoff experience while down there. He's going to be a good one, no doubt - but I feel like he was rushed a little (out of necessity, due to all of the early season injuries.) I think he might be putting some more pressure on himself now that the Caps have 8 healthy D - he played much better when there wasn't much of a threat to be sent down.

IMO, GMGM needs to make a deal for a physical D man - Pronger would come at a high price (and probably cost us one of our young players), but that's the price a team needs to pay to get to that next level. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see the the Caps dangle Semin out there.

Posted by: Z-Money | February 17, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Roll Call for tomorrow's game. I'll be there. Section 403!

Posted by: ejohnsto | February 17, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

@ boo

I think it's on Vs or the NHL Network

Posted by: Z-Money | February 17, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

101

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 17, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

120 - I might have an extra ticket, if anyone is interested.

Posted by: Z-Money | February 17, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Bruins and Canes tied at 1 after 1.

Posted by: Z-Money | February 17, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Z-Money:
But what about me and my schedule?

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 17, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

It's an NHL network game and on national TV in Canada.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 17, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

@Kim

I saw it and it was awesome. Best part was OVI wii-boxing and "playing the bongo", with Semin nearby laughing.

Posted by: mauree | February 17, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I hear 'ya, man. For me, that's 30 minutes of sleep lost - I don't get home from 0730 games until after 1100 as it is.

That's it - I'm calling Bettman!

Posted by: Z-Money | February 17, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Watching a little of the Sabres/Maple Leafs game - sure makes me appreciate watching the Caps...

I think VS needs a "flex" schedule

Posted by: Z-Money | February 17, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Z-Money:
Thank you! And Please give him my direct number so that he knows to check with me about these things first in the future. BTW, I'm in the same boat - I won't get home from the game until 11:00 either ... that is, unless we go into OT. :-/

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 17, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Agree with ralCapsFan, especially the Sports Reporters, they couldn't care less about hockey and the Caps, they'd rather talk about A-rod, steriods and Nascar for 3 straight hours... part of the problem is they claim they don't understand, but they don't care enough to watch, they really are missing out on a great team, and that's their problem, just wait till the playoffs start, maybe they'll start realizing what an awesome team we have and they'll have to start talkin' Caps.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 17, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I just got a new 40 inch LCD flat screen and had it installed just above my fireplace. I was so happy - especially after watching a Caps game.

That is, until I saw Green's set-up - but I don't have an extra $75,000 to upgrade. Thanks, Greener...

Posted by: Z-Money | February 17, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Ha! A 7:30 game gets me home at, oh, around 2am. Now do you feel better? :-P

The clip of the guys at the hospital was nice to watch. I'm sure they are asked to do it as part of the team's PR, but it certainly doesn't seem like any of them minded. We're lucky to have a bunch of guys that are just as amazing off the ice as they are on it.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 17, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Boo:
i'd think having some extra time for reasonably priced 'pre-game' festivities would be a good thing. i know i'll be able to belt down an extra two brews with the late '5:30p' start time here. enjoy!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 17, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

2-0 Panthers over NJ

Posted by: rachel216 | February 17, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

yup: Zednik puts Fla up by 2 over NJD in 2nd. (NJD are tied w/ Caps in standings right now as you know)

Posted by: austinsteve | February 17, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

JMU:
At least Sunday's game moved in your favor!! :-)

Kirk:
Living in this area I would usually welcome a 7:30 start ... I can use every extra minute to get to my seat. Trust me, we'll find a way to fill that time, it's just ironic that I only get it when I don't need it!! ;-)

So what are the predictions for tomorrow night's festivities?

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 17, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Alzner stays out of negative on+/- tomorrow

Posted by: austinsteve | February 17, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

austinsteve:
:-P

new thread, boys and girls!

Posted by: --Boo-- | February 17, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Hi all - off-topic and trivial ... but when did the page link switch to "Caps & NHL"? I like it actually. Longer link draws more attention ... and suggests more info (esp. for "dormant" fans). Things you pay attention to on an off-night (sigh).

PS - new around here (but Caps fan since the Cap Centre days). great forum.

Posted by: reddog278 | February 17, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

A bit off topic - does AFN still carry hockey games?

Posted by: Z-Money | February 17, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I do have to say that I've met Johnny and he is definitively the nicest athlete I've ever met. I hope he feels better really really soon.

Posted by: Caps1Fan | February 17, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

@ Z-Money If AFN Means "Armed Forces Network" then yes they do. However, they rarely show Caps games

Posted by: jleftwing97 | February 18, 2009 4:26 AM | Report abuse

Speedy Recovery, Johnny! What an awful, sudden end to his star-making season. We'll always have that Boston game, right? (and what a game it was!)

Posted by: RedBirdie | February 18, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse