Johnson To Have Surgery

Brent Johnson just said he plans to have surgery to repair a labral tear in his hip. The surgery will sideline the backup goalie for an extended amount of time, though maybe not the rest of the regular season. The procedure is scheduled for early next week.

More in a little while.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 5, 2009; 9:55 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's Lines
Next: Kings 5, Caps 4

Comments

Johnson...it was nice having you here and contributing to the Caps

After a couple weeks of Neuvirth...let the Varlamov career begin!!!!! Wooohooo

Posted by: CapsFanSince1979 | February 5, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Sh**.

The news tonight keeps getting better and better... :-( I was afraid of this.

Get better fast, Johnny!!! We'll send good thoughts your way!

Posted by: irockthered | February 5, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

hate to say it, but varly is to injury prone...hes been out more than in for us...besides johnny will be back this season yet..probably

Posted by: bearsfan26 | February 5, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

OK, this is three guys who've required surgery this season, so that's it, right?

Right?

Hockey gods?

Posted by: irockthered | February 5, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

oh poor johnny, he just getting his break too. get better soon buddy!

Posted by: capsfan387 | February 5, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

What are you guys doing? Putting on the foil, Every game, you want some?

Awesome

Posted by: ludeman95 | February 5, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

this is the luxury with having a comfortable lead in the SE, guys don't feel the pressure to play through injuries and hope for the best. surgeries for johnny and clark are best for them, better to have them 100% later then less then 100% now and risk really hurting themsleves

Posted by: capsfan387 | February 5, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered

The hockey gods must be ticked. This is two surgeries this WEEK alone!

Posted by: TheSkyIsntFalling | February 5, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

@TheSkyIsntFalling - On the bright side, they're both, as capsfan387 says, because the guys aren't feeling pressured to play through the injuries. This isn't the end of the world, and it'll all come out just fine.

I believe that firmly.

Posted by: irockthered | February 5, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Alright I didn't see the game except for the highlights however I will say this - how many breakaways can you possibly give your opponent.

Call this game a mulligan but you had a lowly Western Conference team in town and while they seem to continue to pressure offensely - there is no excuse for the absolute crappy effort on the defensive side of the ice. This loss was horrible. Not a game you lose at all. Theodore mades saves it seems to keep this team in the game. And they still almost rallied to steal a point. They deserved to lose this game from a defensive standpoint.

Oh well - I'm not sure how many more breakaways LA had outside of the ones I saw in the highlights but wow. Not good. Need to tighten things up.

Nuff said. Better amp up their game with Florida coming to town. The Panthers are no slouch.

Ice Breakers Goal Shakers

Posted by: Jonathan6 | February 5, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

@Jonathan6- I agree it was a terrible defensive effort but I wouldn't necessarily call the Kings a "lowly western conference team". Give them some credit they've been playing well lately.

Posted by: JSeagull1 | February 5, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't know who John3w, Wahoo Mike, Spacecadet are, but just chill. This isn't the end of the season. They just thought they could put in an 8 minute effort tonight and get away with it.

The wrath of Bruce will be upon them.

It was a pathetic performance and they should be ashamed of it. But this isn't the end for the Caps.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 5, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

From Previous Thread:

I love these fans who scream armageddon after a loss; I really get a kick out of it.

It's probably the same fans who left the game after it was 5-3.

We'll be fine, it was just an off-game.

Posted by: GoUnited | February 5, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Pretty lame effort tonight. Boy it sure seems Schultz is the weak link to the D right now, he's so slow he makes Erskine look fast.

Posted by: topshelf | February 5, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Where is windjammer i really need to know about the stretch run after that one.

Posted by: caese | February 5, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

This one is on BB. His constant changes of lines is not paying off. Notice the Caps started playing well on the 3rd period when the lines returned to, more or less, their normalcy.

Posted by: opita1 | February 5, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

dont blame bb for a lackluster show. pro hockey players need to put for the ffort for 60 min regardless of the line they are on tonoight we didnt do that and sucked

Posted by: wendel2 | February 5, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

JT doesn't look like he's feeling too well, either. Hope he's not hurt, too.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 5, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

wendel2,
I don't think there was a lack of effort, I think they were in disarray and that is because there is not cohesiviness in the lines. Today we had an obvious display of what I am talking about, once the lines got reunited they started playing better.
But we can disagree.

Posted by: opita1 | February 5, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

How do you insert pictures here? I want to insert my broom. LA>DC. Its ok. If the Caps are lucky, they can trade for Quick and win the Cup.

Back to being a Caps fan in the morning...

Posted by: oldtimehockey | February 5, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, I'm not sure how many good games there were tonight: Semin was way too cute, Ovechkin didn't turn it up until it was too late, Backstrom needs to get back with Ovie regularly, ShaMo was awful, Schultz was just as awful (an NHL defender has got to be able to receive a face-off win -- he missed it 3 times!)...

At first, I thought Jose wasn't all that hot, but after thinking about it for a while, he actually had a pretty good game. He got beat on two kinda weak breakaways, but that happens sometimes. *shrug* There's no way the D should have been giving up those breakaways in the first place.

I hope Bruce leaves 'em sore from ripping them new ones.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | February 5, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

oldtimehockey, was that you wearing that old yellow Kins's sweater?

Quick played great, but I am not ready to crown him the savior. It seems to me like LA was well coached.

Posted by: opita1 | February 5, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

"Semin was way too cute..."
especially on his goal and the cute hustle that set up OV's goal.
I think Semin should sit.

Posted by: opita1 | February 5, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

@opita1. No, the guy with the yellow Taylor and the uncreased cap was in the section next to me. I was the ass in the front row behind Theo. The guy in the yellow is why I don't wear my gold anymore.

Caps v. Kings in the SC finals? I'm in if you all are...

Posted by: oldtimehockey | February 5, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

@GoUnited - I left at mid second frame, but I had to work. I'm still at work now. And I'm not screaming armageddon.

It's not the end of the world. It's one game.

I sure wouldn't want to be in the locker room tonight, or on the ice in practice tomorrow, though... *wince!*

Posted by: irockthered | February 6, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse