Jose Theodore's 'Saves for Kids' charity raises $35k

José Theodore instructs fourth-grader Daniel Barnes on the finer points of being a goalie at King Elementary School in the District. (John McDonnell/The Washington Post)

From a team news release:

Theodore raised money for Saves for Kids, a fundraising program that benefited the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Children's National Medical Center. Theodore and his wife, Stephanie Cloutier, lost their two-month-old son, Chace, last August from respiratory complications related to a premature birth. It was at Children's National where Jose and Stephanie spent most of their time during their son's 54-day life. With Saves for Kids, Theodore wanted to create a foundation to honor his son's life and to give back to the hospital. Theodore donated $2 for every save, $100 for every win and $500 for each shutout he had during the regular season. During the playoffs, Theodore donated $5 for every save. F.H. Furr Plumbing Heating Air Conditioning Inc., a Lennox Premier Dealer, matched Theodore's donation dollar for dollar. Washington Capitals Charities also made a contribution to the cause along with generous Capitals fans who were able to donate money to Saves for Kids via PayPal on WashingtonCaps.com. The total money raised through Saves for Kids was $35,000.00 which Theodore will present to the NICU at Children's National Medical Center on Friday, May 7, at 1 p.m.

Read more about Theodore's story and charity here.

Defenseman Mike Green will also present a check to the hospital on Monday:

Green along with Elliot Segal of DC101's Elliot in the Morning are the founders of So Kids Can, a fundraising initiative that benefits a different youth-focused nonprofit organization each year. Green donates $100 for every goal he scores and $50 for each assist during the regular season. The figures are doubled during the Stanley Cup Playoffs with Elliot matching dollar for dollar. The Washington, D.C., community has embraced the charity as well. During the summer of 2009, a Papa John's promotional campaign raised $45,000 before the season started for this year's selected organization, Children's National Medical Center. The check from So Kids Can will be presented to Children's National for computers, video games and consoles, toys, games and books along with refurbishing a playroom in the hospital. The total amount of money raised this year was $63,879.00 which Green and Segal will present to Children's National on Monday, May 10.

Theodore and Green are both up for community honors at the 2010 NHL Awards in Las Vegas on June 23. Theodore is up for the Masterton Trophy, awarded to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey. Green is a finalist for the NHL Foundation Player Award (and the Norris Trophy, of course).

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  May 6, 2010; 9:56 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Draft details
Next: George McPhee nominated for GM of the year (updated)

Comments

Jose is a class act. Wish he had gotten another opportunity in playoffs.

Posted by: mikebrady1 | May 6, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

What he said. Doubled

Posted by: jotay131 | May 6, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

"I might have been viewing the replay of the goal with my homer glasses on (and turned up to High), but it looked to me like the puck went sailing past Halak right at or a little tiny bit before Knuble made contact. And Halak had committed to the butterfly position to play that puck. I really don't think there was any inability to play the puck for Halak, but I do think he didn't see how high the puck was going---but that's because he was screened."

Posted by: dccitizen1 | May 5, 2010 4:30 PM

@dccitizen1:

If your perceptions were in accord with reality, then there'd be a good argument that the ref made the wrong call.

I sucked it up and managed to stomach a re-view of it on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ECXS_jb5FA.

What actually happens is this:

(1) Knuble contacts Halak in the crease,

(2) just as Halak is attempting to butterfly and is prevented from doing so at the moment he wanted to because of Knuble's contact and presence in the crease

(3) just after which the puck goes in.

All of this happens within the space of, I dunno, maybe a tenth of a second or two. It is really only possible to see the order of things on slow mo, and even then you will probably have to stop it at various points. But it is clear.

I really think the best argument for why it was a bad call was that it all happened so fast that, as a matter of fact, the ref couldn't possibly have known what order all of this happened in, therefore couldn't have actually seen the interference happen before the puck went by, and therefore shouldn't have called it just because he didn't actually see it. Because you aren't supposed to call it if you don't actually see it. The presumption there is goal unless the interference is actually detected.

But the ref was right there, he had good position, he's a professional, and he is used to looking at and interpreting very quick things. The fact that he happened to get it right isn't conclusive evidence that he actually saw what he said he saw of course, but it is some evidence. I think he probably did see it all just about as well as I see it on slow mo.

And, I really can't even watch Pittsburgh right now. I know they're not really going to have a problem with the Canadiens. The other team I'm interested in, the Red Wings, is having their own issues. This postseason has not been fun.

Posted by: youaresquishy | May 5, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

@youaresquishy

Did you happen to watch the 'hawks game last night? If not, watch the replay of Byfuglien's third goal and you'll see why the no goal call in game 7 was absolutely ridiculous.

Posted by: cainoo7x | May 6, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

@cainoo7x - that's exactly the point I was trying to make earlier. There is no way that same call gets made against Sidney, or almost anybody else Canadien I can think of. That is my biggest problem with the call, and the blatant inconsistency shown by many NHL refs - and Mr. Colin Campbell - toward the Caps.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | May 6, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I love the fact that all of the talking heads around the league kept telling the Caps to go to the net and not one of them said: "My bad, I guess you aren't allowed to go to the net."

That goal was certainly not clean, but it wasn't dirtier than half of the goals scored around the league. If that's playoff hockey (and I'm not saying it is), than don't make your one goalie interference call of the year a crucial one.

Posted by: dwelkinor | May 6, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

@Timbo_1

It was a horrible call. I don't believe it was anything directed towards the Caps but just that the ref made a terrible call.

@youaresquishy

I disagree with how you reach your conclusion. In my opinion, Knuble, in no way, impeded Halak's ability to save the puck.

The question is what does "impede" entail? Well, in law you go to prior court cases to see how the rule has been interpreted by judges and that sets a precedent for how the rule will continue to be interpreted. Thus setting clearer guidelines.

In sport you go to prior games to see how the rule has been intepretated by the refs (judges) to determine how the rule is interpreted. Throughout the last few years and through this year's playoffs "impede" has been consistently ruled to encompass significantly more than touching.

So a signifcant amount of contact must be made that does not allow the goaltender to get to his desired position. At no point was Halak not able to get to his desired position. He may have been distracted but he was never unable to go directly in the position he desired.

The interpretation of the rule was set with lengthy precedent. It is was thus an incorrect ruling to change the interpretation of the rule for a single incident without any notification of a rule change and without continuous similar rulings following afterards (i.e. Buflyin and many Red Wings goals).

Posted by: sgm3 | May 6, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Wow...

I see now why I seldom come by here any more.

An article about the fantastic charity work done by Theo and Green this year, and all folks can talk about is a bad call?!

Great.

Congratulations to both Jose Theodore and Mike Green for the work they've done for charity, and for what I'm sure they will continue to do in the future.

Posted by: irockthered | May 6, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Was it a penalty on Knuble to brushing Halak and did the refs make the correct textbook call? --- Yes

What befuddles me is that there are many more blattent goalie interfence calls during the season and playoffs that go undetected, that to call it so inconsistently, and in a Game 7 no less, just blows my mind...

I'm not one to complain but it just seems like that's a penalty the refs don't call in a game 7 if you've let far worse ones good all the time...

meh, it's hockey...

Posted by: FrankM73 | May 6, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

good job theo. you're real classy and you should be proud of yourself. you had an amazing season and deserved better.
continue theo, tu fais un excellent travail et je sais que tu vas bien faire la saison prochaine! bonne chance pour le masterton!

can we still donate to his foundation or is it closed?

Posted by: DieHardTheoFan60 | May 6, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse