Jose Theodore won't return to Caps

Moments after a misty-eyed speech here in Las Vegas while accepting the Bill Masterton Trophy, Jose Theodore confirmed to me that GM George McPhee called recently to inform the veteran goal that he won't be re-signed by the Caps.

"We had a good talk," Theodore said. "I enjoyed my time in Washington. Two great years. Winning percentage, stats-wise, it was fun to play for the Caps. But things in the new NHL, they are, they're going to go with the young kids [Semyon Varlamov and Michal Neuvirth] and I respect that."

"I have nothing but good words to say about this city, especially the fans and the organization," he added. "With the way I finished last year, I'm just looking forward to next season."

Theodore said he does not know where he'll end up but quickly added that he's not ready to be a mentor or a backup.

"We're going to see on July 1," he said. "There's going to be a few openings. I'm just going to see which one fits the best. I'm not ready for that mentoring job. The last few years I've been playing 50 or more games. I still feel like I can play 50 games. I feel I can mentor the best I can, but I still want to play."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 23, 2010; 8:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jose Theodore honored with Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy
Next: Mike Green second in voting for Norris Trophy

Comments

sign with toronto, stick it to the habs!

Theo will get a standing ovation every time he sets foot in verizon centre.

Posted by: j762 | June 23, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

to bad there isn't 4.5m laying around to keep him another year - i liked theo

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | June 23, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Theo!!! I sort of hated to see Boudreau pull the rug out from under him. I really thought Theo had an opportunity make a strong showing in the playoffs and would force GMGM to consider extending him because of it.

Posted by: thomas20 | June 23, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Theo,

We'll miss you. While I do think it's time for the kids to take over, you were a class act the entire time. And I enjoyed meeting you at Kettler and at a memorabilia show.

I think the kids at goal learned a lot from you. And you also mentored Matty Perreault.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 23, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

I just wish anything but the best for Theo. I haven't been following this team for too long like many of you guys here, theo so far has been one of my wife and I fav cap and I'll miss him here. Thank you Theo for everything!!!!

Posted by: guer_j | June 23, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

BTW, the NHL award show was a joke! I liked the way they started cutting off Keith after 15-20 seconds and then totally split on him for a precious moment with "The Troll". Priceless!

Posted by: thomas20 | June 23, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Goodbye ThreeOrMore!

P.S. You are a back-up at best!!!!

Posted by: Drudge1 | June 23, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Theo, thank you for two great years! And if you read this blog.. pay no attention to the ignoramuses like Drudge who simply don't know better.

Posted by: timmyv38 | June 23, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

A class act. Does he take donations for his charity? I'll send a check. A horrible tragedy but a good story.

As for Theo the goalie, I always ran hot and cold. On some days, he was the best in the universe, others not so much. He's always been a bit inconsistent, but his streaks of absolute brilliance made him worth it. He'll be missed.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | June 23, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

to bad there isn't 4.5m laying around to keep him another year - i liked theo

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | June 23, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

................

Except that playing time is more valuable than the money. All these goalies really need the lions share of the work to show what they can do and justify their pay. Eventually the Caps will need to choose one of the other 2 so they need the games.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | June 23, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Back-to-back SE division championships, first-ever Presidents' Trophy, first-ever full season home sellout, 23 games without a regulation loss, the highest save percentage of any Capitals goalie in franchise history... yea, surely he should be sent away. He's not the type of guy you want to keep.

Let me ask all the Theo haters: which kid is going to play 50+ games? The one who lost 1/3 of his games (and got pulled 4 of the 17 games he started) or the one who keeps getting hurt? I'll be shocked if the Caps win 30 games next season.

Posted by: sabredc | June 23, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Jose was so nice to my kids at the Caps Convention last fall. A good guy, we wish him the best!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | June 23, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Terptwin | June 23, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

JT: thanks for all your contributions. Bonne chance, mon ami.

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | June 23, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

It's not personal...it's just business. Jose you did what you needed to do...and then some. You just didn't alway get the support you needed out in front. Thank you.

Now let the youth go wild.

Posted by: Rainier1 | June 23, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Terptwin said it best, "Congratulations on winning the Bill Masterton trophy, Jose. You're a class act and a fine young man. I wish you and your family all the best in your new city."

Posted by: dezlboy1 | June 23, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sabredc |

Uhhhhh lemme see, the one who has won back to back Calder Cups or the one who has put together back to back great playoffs? Either way the Caps will be fine and will certainly win more than 30 games. My thought is that both will play about 40 games.

BTW congrats to Theo. You're a class act and I hope you land on your feet somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if it's back in Colorado

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | June 23, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Theo was a good guy. He should find some starting jobs around. Maybe even San Jose.

Posted by: mcgratsp | June 23, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Class is the right word for Theo.
He never once made a stink about anything in his time here.
Some classless fans here tried to make us believe Varly was ready early last season.
Then pin the blame on the defense when Varly couldn't bail us out late.

In between there was Theo & his win streak.
Best wishes Theo, I know you will have a few wins vs. us in the future.

Of course, the igs won't give you any credit & will just blame it on everything & their mothers.

Posted by: Rocc00 | June 24, 2010 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Jose is nothing but a class act. As some have said he never bad mouthed the team or any of the players here unlike some of the divas we have in DC.

I wish him well whereever he goes and no one better boo him when he comes here to play.

Posted by: MM11 | June 24, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

I never had confidence in playoff Theo.

It's time to let the young guns hold down the fort.

That said, I wish Theo the best -- class acts are hard to find.....

Posted by: CF11555 | June 24, 2010 1:23 AM | Report abuse

We love Theo and will miss him terribly.

Posted by: ljo211 | June 24, 2010 6:28 AM | Report abuse

Theo is a class act! Any criticism directed towards him is pure classlessness.

Posted by: hokiepokster92 | June 24, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Jose for a fantastic season for the Caps. We love you here in D.C.!!! I was really hoping that the Capitals would have signed you to a new contract. We wish you the best of luck and happiness with your new team. God Bless You & your Family.

Posted by: WiseConservtv | June 24, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Jose Theodore and his charity raised over $35,000 for the Children's National Medical Center this year. Here is the address if you would like to Donate:

Washington Capitals Charities
Attn: Saves for Kids
627 North Glebe Road, Suite 850
Arlington, VA 22203

or click on the Capitals link below:

If we had more people in this world that cared about helping others the world would be a better place. Thank you Jose!!! D.C. loves you & we wish you all the best!!!

Posted by: WiseConservtv | June 24, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

While I think blasting Neuvirth and Varlamov with insults is kinda childish, I do think they need a little more time to develop. Neuvirth has proven he is capable to some extent; however, he hasn't played a full season in the AHL just yet. Varlamov has a good record right now, but he too hasn't played enough games.

Solution: Get Niittymaki. He's been improving over recent years, with last year being his biggest improvement. To maintain a positive GAA and win/loss like he did with TB? That takes talent. With a good team (ours, for example) in front of him, he'll give us the consistent goaltending we have needed for some time.

Have Neuvirth do one more season in the minors. Have Niittymaki and Varlamov split a season 41/41. Whoever is the better of the two at the end of the season is the starter. If there's no major difference, then we have a goaltending duo.

Posted by: Siikonen-FIN- | June 24, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Too bad it didnt work out better for him here. He picked a couple bad times to let in a soft goal and then Varly played well. Overall, he was good

Posted by: makplan20002 | June 24, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Theo - happy trails! Best of luck wherever you go. you'll get a cheer and standing-o from me when your back at the Verizon Center.

Posted by: callingallcars | June 24, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JillC | June 24, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck to a fine goalie and a class act. Thanks for your service to the Caps and the local community. Wish you were staying.

Posted by: JillC | June 24, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

@OldTimeHockey:
There are several ways to support 'Saves for Kids', the charity Theo established for the NICU at Childrens:

@Theo: You showed guts and grace under circumstances I cannot fathom. Godspeed.

Posted by: redlineblue | June 24, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

"Solution: Get Niittymaki."

Couldn't disagree more. What Varlamov and Neuvirth need to do is play against NHL caliber competition and let it sort itself out. The Caps are good enough to make the playoffs with me in net. The only way to get the experience they both need is to play. Niitymaki would completely retard their development.

Posted by: ouvan59 | June 24, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck to Theo was was a class act and gave us 2 good years. I'm proud to say that I was able to contribute to his Foundation and no what great care Children's Hospital can provide firsthand.

As for the goalie situation, the Caps are going to give both of the young goalies a lot of playing time. IF they feel that neither can carry us during the playoffs, the can always trade for a veteran at the deadline who has an expiring contract. The Caps are trying to conserve cap space which was another reason to let Theo leave.

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 24, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

While GMGM and BB are right to move on to the youngsters, and free up some cap space to sign a real defenseman and 2nd line center, Theo served us well. He's a class act and a first rate goalie, despite the occasional mental lapses he suffered, especially during the playoffs. If Philly were smart, they'd pick him up, and he'd do well there with Pronger in front of him. But GM Holmgren issn't that bright, and apparently isn't interested. Thank God.

Posted by: Exile_in_Philly | June 26, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse