Karl Alzner recalled from Hershey

The Caps have recalled Karl Alzner from Hershey, which likely means he'll be in the lineup tonight against the Red Wings.

One clarification: Alzner's demotion earlier this month wasn't so he could meet a games played threshold in Hershey. It was so he would miss five games with the Caps. According to the rules, waiver exempt players can be assigned to the AHL during the Olympic break if they have not played in 16 or more of his team's final 20 NHL games leading up to the break.

I'll have more after the skate.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 19, 2010; 10:10 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning roundup: Caps see a model in Wings
Next: Theodore to start, Varlamov absent again

Comments

First!!....so did we send Carlson back down or is he still up here??

Posted by: kyle_woodruff | January 19, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Carlson was asssigned to Hershey and he is playing in the AHL AllStar games.

Posted by: ekays | January 19, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

This is an interesting upcoming 3 games we have with DET, PIT & PHO. Yes Phoenix. Phoenix is up and coming and have played real solid this year under Tippet. I would like to think we can get 5 outta 6 points over these next 3 games with 2 being at home. DET and PIT are not playing well currently and PHO is at VC. If you're gonna be an elite team with high expectations 5 outta 6 points should be a minimum expectation.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 19, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

IMO, Carlson > Alzner.

Posted by: puckman | January 19, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

@pokerface

I like what you're saying, just curious where you see them dropping the 1 point? Maybe OT loss in Pitt?

Posted by: moltzjo | January 19, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

We need 7 out of 6 points...got to find a way.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 19, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I say we get 7 out of 6 points. I want to be beyond elite.

Posted by: JSchon | January 19, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

IMO, Carlson > Alzner.

Posted by: puckman | January 19, 2010 10:44 AM

Puckman, I actually agree with you. I think Alzner is going to be a solid defender in this league but I think the potential or ceiling in Carlson is higher. That is based off what I've seen from the 2 of them, I both think they've played solid in their apperances but I'm really excited about Carlson.

Posted by: DCSportsFan28 | January 19, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

@SA Town

Are you serious dude?

Posted by: JSchon | January 19, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

@ JSchon...

the extra point is for beating Pittsburgh...GO CAPS!

Posted by: netminder71 | January 19, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

@Moltz - not really identifying a spot where'd we'd lose a point, just more of an overall view. Sure 6 outta 6 would be nice and is certainly attainable but once again if you're gonna be elite, elite teams get 5 outta these next 6 points if not 6. If I did have to pick a spot you'd think an away game against a rival would be a spot though yes.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | January 19, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

We get an extra point if Brooks Orpik gets railroaded into the bench at some point...

Posted by: SA-Town | January 19, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I knew SA-Town was kidding, what I marveled at was the fact that we had the same post entered at the same time basically saying the same thing. 7 out 6 points.

@10:47

Posted by: JSchon | January 19, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Alzner is a defensive defenseman. Something the Caps are not use to. HOWEVER, I do think he needs to get stronger, in order to be that type of defenseman. He's too small to be a shut down defenseman with the current strength he has.

He will get better. And Carlson will be a great complement to Green. They WILL be the best 1-2 OFFENSIVE defensemen in the league (though, Carlson is better in his own end).

And what a year it's been for Carlson. A relative unknown last year at this time, joined hershey for their Calder Cup run last season and got some NHL experience this season and the biggest and best accomplishment was not only winning the Gold for the USA Juniors...but scoring the game winner in Overtime...against Canada!

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 19, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

@SoaringCaps.

well said. No need for who is greater than whom. They are different kinds of D men and there is a place/need for both. It's all good news!

Posted by: jerseygirl15 | January 19, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Carlson and Myers...two best kept secrets of the 2008 draft.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 19, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Alzner and Carlson are apples and oranges. They are both good at what they do, with great upside. Carlson is stronger on the offensive end, so the casual fans will appreciate him more. Alzner is the type that will often go unnoticed. All he will do is help his team win.

Posted by: zmega | January 19, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Alzner actually makes a fairly decent first-pass, and can shoot the puck.

He's not a roving d-man, but he's better at that stuff than ShaMo, Erskine, etc...

Posted by: richmondphil | January 19, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Would like to get Lehitien and Turco from the Stars for Holtby, Gordo and a 2nd..

Posted by: jake81 | January 18, 2010 4:28 PM |

Is this a serious proposal?

Why the hell do we want Turco? Jere Lehtinen? What??!?!?!

How bout Steve Ott, if we are going to be discussing the Stars.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 19, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Is Ovie even out there on the PK? I don't recall seeing him out there when the Caps are short-handed, as I'm guessing BB wants to take those opportunities to rest him. He's obviously not going to score short-handed goals from the bench.

Posted by: rbpalmer | January 19, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

All the greats of the game - Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Yzernman, Sakic were out there when their team was shorthanded and contributed a great deal. Lemieux was such a threat to score even when his team was short-handed and so was Gretzky.

If Ovie wants to be compared to all those greats, he has to contribute on the PK... some say he has to rest so he can focus more on offense. Well all those players put up incredible numbers while also contributing on the PK. Imagine what their numnbers would have been if they didn't have to worry about killing penalties.

Posted by: joek443 | January 19, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

@ richmondphil

Steve Ott would be great in a Caps uniform. He plays tough and can score [10 goals]. He's just the type of player we could use to put all the enforcer talk to rest.

Posted by: bigschu8 | January 19, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

There are also great players who never killed penalties though. Usually though, a team's best player is on the PK. (Gaborik kills penalties in NY for example) Slice it either way, Ovie is still faster, stronger, etc than 99.9% of the team, offensively or defensively.

I'd like to see him on the PK just because it would hone his defensive skills a bit and, like I said, he's got the resume to be better at PKing than the rest of the team.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 19, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I love Steve Ott. Perfect, prototypical "pest" forward. He's a pending UFA and Stars are going to be selling. Plus, he can kill penalties and can play center. (though I guess center isn't as important with Flash coming into fruition)

I definetely don't want aging Jere Lehtinen or Marty freakin Turco.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 19, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Didn't he have like 30 goals last year too?

He has a great skill set for the type of player he is.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 19, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Chris Clark scored his first goal as a Blue Jacket last night.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 19, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I do not care if the Caps lose to both Detroit and Phoenix, just beat the Pricken Frittsburgh Fenguins and Crysbaby and all will be good!

Posted by: JohnWWW | January 19, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I am not an Alzner fan and don't understand the love affair people have with him. I would rather see Carlson here, he had a great last stretch, I think the WJC gave him a lot of confidence.

Posted by: jmb9778 | January 19, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

if the Caps had a top 5, even a top 10 PK unit, I wouldn't be advocating putting Ovie on the PK... but they don't and it's by far the weakest link on the team

Posted by: joek443 | January 19, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Turco would be NICE...with Varly not being stable (injury wise) I would hate to go into the playoffs with Jose as our main option.

Say what you want, but Jose is at the END of his career and he is not an athletic goalie with the amount of chances the caps take in the offensive end.

Please don't throw stats at me. If you can find it, the only stat I would want is save percentage on the second shot (in a sequence)...Jose gives up too many rebounds and if you get him moving east-west, he is vulnerable...

Even if he shutout the next 5 opponents, we need to seriously look for a potential rental to guide us to the cup...

Maybe Roloson?

Posted by: SoaringCaps | January 19, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Carlson was very steady and did not look out of place during his brief stint with the big club. You have to be careful about throwing young players into the fire, particularly D men. I think if Carlson has a solid season in Hershey this season he's a write in for the Caps roster next season.

Posted by: FLDave | January 19, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

Ott is a gritty, grinding pest. He is not an enforcer though.

Posted by: FLDave | January 19, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Ovie has 4 career SHGs (though only 1 since 06) so he's occasionally out there on PK but he does double shifts on the PP which has to be far more important overall.

Posted by: psujohn | January 19, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

OV also double-shifts from time to time in 5v5 and 4v4. He hustles on every shift and his defensive play keeps getting better -- have you seen him rushing back to back-check this season? If he has the energy to play the pk, great. But if being on the pk hurts his energy for all the ice time he puts in (he puts a lot of time on the ice, almost top-2 blueliner minutes) or hurts the pk, then his place is the bench. Hockey is a team game, not let's compare OV to whomever.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS1 | January 19, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

PK is more important than PP in the playoffs... the ability to kill a penalty late in the game is often what decides the outcome of the game.

again if they had a great PK unit, Ovie doesn't need to be part of it.. but as everyone here knows, it SUX.

Posted by: joek443 | January 19, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443

I think Ovechkin wants to win and help his team win. If the coach doesn't put him out on the PK then he accepts that. He plays 20+ minutes a night. And he's not just out there skating around he's finishing his checks.

As I recall he attempted to block shots whilst on the PK last year. While that is commendable I don't think the Caps want him to make a living blocking shots (or fighting). It seems that he contributes best 5-on-5 with double shifting at times and on the PP. So, basically I agree with the coaching staff.

As far as comparisons, that's for other people to do. And, from what I've seen the comparisons are being made regardless of whether he's been on the PK or not.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | January 19, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Turco would be great for the playoffs. He stood on his head last time he was in the playoffs. Lehitien could help out on the PK, which is currently average at best. I'd rather have Lehitien blocking slappers then Flash, Backs or Semin.

I agree Ott would be a super pick up but we'd have to give up way too much for him. I'm assuming Gordo won't be back next year ( and is relatively expendable), Holtby (is the 3rd goalie) and any draft pick we pick this year wouldn't be playing with the Bears much less the Caps for at least 4 to 5 yrs. Are depth is amazing...

Posted by: jake81 | January 19, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Ott scored 19 goals last season but had 135 penalty mins.
His cap hit is 1.425 million.
Turco would be nice in net too but with a cap hit of 5.7million.

Posted by: bigschu8 | January 19, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I agree with most of the people on here that Carlson > Alzner. Alzner doesn't look comfortable on the ice where as Carlson does. I'm pretty upset that BB made this decision. Hopefully next year we'll see more of Carlson.

As to the discussion of adding OV on the PK I think it would be a good idea. It seems like ever since he was named capt. hes worked harder at getting back and defending. I say BB should try it and if it doesn't work then it doesn't work.

Posted by: ILikeLaich | January 19, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I think Ovechkin wants to win and help his team win.

live TV link http://www.nowgoal.com/22.shtml