Posted at 9:48 AM ET, 12/28/2010

Center Keith Aucoin recalled from Hershey

By Gene Wang

The Washington Capitals recalled center Keith Aucoin from Hershey, where he has logged 24 points in 15 games this season. Aucoin played in nine games for the Capitals last season and had a goal and four assists.

Aucoin, 32, led the AHL last season with 106 points (35 goals, 71 assists) and won the Les Cunningham Award as the league's most valuable player. Aucoin has played in 74 career games with Washington and Carolina, amassing eight goals and 18 assists.

Aucoin signed with the Capitals as a free agent on July 3, 2008, after three years with the Hurricanes.

By Gene Wang  | December 28, 2010; 9:48 AM ET
Categories:  Keith Aucoin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The challenge of building an outdoor rink
Next: Semyon Varlamov first goaltender off the ice at KCI

Comments

Hey Geno - Can you please bring back live chat.
Go CAPITALS!!!

Posted by: instinct227 | December 28, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

RE-POST:
"If a player gets seriously hurt at the classic due to ice conditions, the NHL is going to get blasted. " - capscoach

Uhhhh, you think they really care? Do you remember Verizon Center ice all last 2 years?

The boys are big boys, they will be fine. Plus, from what I hear the players (as in all NHL players) want to play in the Winter Classic. It's a fun thing for them as well.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 28, 2010 9:53 AM

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 28, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

we have 4 guy that can play center already (backs, majo, steckel, laich)

FREE DJK!!

Posted by: _stevo | December 28, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Gold Coin!!!

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 28, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Hershey's lineup must be getting a bit thin. We take all their best forwards and rarely send anyone back.

Posted by: zmega | December 28, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

@steveo

MaJo is out. Think his hip flexor issue is back again. MP is questionabale obviously and Poti is out again.

The main issue with all these injuries and call ups is all of them keep eating into the salary cap. Which come late February wont be a good thing.

Also DJK is still on IR, they have yet to activate him. So who knows what is wrong with him.

Posted by: ThePat | December 28, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

@_stevo

Someone posted a link last night or this morning about DJK. He was showing up on the IR. Granted they put him on a couple weeks ago which was supposed to be only for like 7 days...but perhaps they extended it and just never reported it to us fans. Bottom line, sounds like he isnt available as we all had thought and being unjustly scratched. Sounds like he just isnt available.

How much longer on the Jr team season? I want to see the headline: "Caps recall Eakin". Woot

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 28, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce

There is a difference between VC bad ice and half melted/slanted ice and a downpour of rain. I am not saying they will, but I would hope that player safety is more important than TV ratings.

And of course all the players want to be in the WC...but they will change their minds pretty quickly if it causes them a teared groin muscle.

@thepat

where did you here that MaJo is out?

Posted by: capscoach | December 28, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Hershey is very thin right now. I was listening to a game a couple of weeks ago and they were skating with 4 D. Thin because of Caps call-ups as well as injuries of their own.

Does anybody know the Caps' practice schedule this week? I am not sure when they are planning to pack it in and head up to Pitt for the media blitz.

Posted by: gonchpup | December 28, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

@SAOTI & thepat

ahh thanks for the info. I wouldn't expect BB to put King in there for the Habs either way

Posted by: _stevo | December 28, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach

On Katie's twitter feed.

Posted by: ThePat | December 28, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

@ThePat

Majo is out? Where do you get your intel? You always seem to be a step ahead :)

Any final word on Shultz...he was possibly returning tonight as well.

Matty P, I bet he sits.

As for eating into out cap. Doesnt IR allow a cushion...so Shultz, BFV, and DJK on the IR would allow more cap space than we are spending, so technically we are probably banking even more. NHL salary cap is confusing. :\

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 28, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I hope Coiner gets to skate in the WC. Having watched him here in Hershey for three years, the guy's skill level is unbelievable. Unfortunately, the NHL book on him (rightly or wrongly) is that his dimunitive size would keep him from making it through a full NHL season. This guy is worth cheering for, and I'd especially love to see him burn the Pens.

Posted by: tfirey | December 28, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach

Of course there is a technical difference, but the point is the same. Both would be played on subpar ice. Both could cause injuries, especially groin types (btw, to me, soft ice is worse than puddle filled ice). But they play on it anyhow. Just remember...C.R.E.A.M. Dollar dollar bill yall.

Also dont forget, a lot of these boys know how to play outdoor hockey. Im sure uneven ice and some rain bumps wont cause them too many issues.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 28, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Schultz is going to take pregame skate. Looks like he is playing.

Posted by: ThePat | December 28, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

IIRC, we are allowed to exceed the salary cap by the amount of salary for the players on IR when we call players up. I don't believe that it allows us to bank any extra for later in the season

Posted by: _Mark | December 28, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

thats the first wu-tang reference i've seen on here

Posted by: _stevo | December 28, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

@_Mark

You are correct, in a way. The way I read it though is you get to go over by the salary of the IR player, regardless of how much the sub makes. So if the IR player is making 50k a game, and the sub is only making 25k a game you are only using 25k of that allowed 50k, and ergo are psuedo banking 25k. Because the allowance isnt dependant on the how much the sub makes it is just a set amount based on the player on the IR.

Make sense, or did I totally butcher that?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 28, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

C.R.E.A.M.= Cash Rules Everything Around Me.

Just in case we don't have many Wu Tang Clan fans on CI.

Good one SAOTI!

Posted by: nicety251 | December 28, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Another bad sign. Man, we need a legit second line center.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | December 28, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

@SAOTI and @Mark

I only believe you are correct if we are exceeding the salary cap ceiling which we are not. Since we aren't exceeding the ceiling, the salaries just keep adding up and eating into the cap. The only way you get help with the cap is when you place someone on LTIR and would be exceeding the cap by calling someone up. I could be wrong and you guys could be right, but thats the way I understand it.

Posted by: ThePat | December 28, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat

@ThePat

I think you are correct on this.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 28, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

SAOTI,
Not sure. There were some in depth discussions the last couple seasons that I am now fuzzy on. I am pretty sure we still are held to the real salary cap level for banking, but if need be there is a cushion where we can exceed the cap by the amount of the IR players salary. I think the only way we continue to bank is if we are still under the original salary cap level. Tom and a couple others has a pretty sloid understanding of it and perhaps they can clear it up.

Posted by: _Mark | December 28, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

@SAOTI
"If you remember (I think 2 years ago or early last year) Poti came out and blasted Verizon Center's ice and saying it was directly causing groin injuries, ankle injuries and such to players."

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't that Clark that came out and blasted the quality of the ice at VC?

FWIW, TWC has dropped their temperature forecast from a high of 50 to a high of 44 and a 60% chance of rain to a 50% chance of rain on Saturday.

Posted by: sabredc | December 28, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

@sabredc

There was a couple of them, but pretty sure the one that went on a personal vendetta (as he had had multiple groin injuries himself) was Poti. I think Clark made a hussy fussy as well though.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | December 28, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm totally blanking on the city the Stingrays play in (South Carolina?), but does anyone know if they have any talent to supplement Hershey, and if any of the players there have a realistic shot of ever reaching the NHL?

Posted by: redhotCAPSaicin | December 28, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I hope the "hockey gods" piss all over the NHL's attempt to "showcase" Crosby again.
There are an awful lot of good teams not getting a chance to play in this because of "Mr. washing machine".

I like "The Classic", but I'm sick of the Crosby focus on everything the league does.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 28, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | December 28, 2010 12:24 PM

@Hunterforcoach:

Can't say I hope the WC gets postponed/canceled, but I do agree with you 1000% about the unrelenting sewer-torrent of Crosby-Love:

Ziss story iss becomingk tiresome; now iss za time on Shprockets ven ve dance!

Posted by: Rhino40 | December 28, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

The Stingrays play in Charleston (technically "North Charleston"), SC. Right now, Hershey has pulled at lot of talent out of the Rays, in order to make up for Caps call-ups and Hershey's own rash of injuries. There's still some young talent in Charleston, but I don't see any NHLers.

Posted by: tfirey | December 28, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Back to the original subject: I figured that they'd give Aucoin a shot at some time this season. But isn't he barely back from his own knee injury (nerve) woes? He was still out on the 16th... but has had two GWGs since coming back. Might be a little out of shape for NHL action, I guess we'll see how he does.

Posted by: OakdenWolf | December 28, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse