Klepis Gets Tryout With Bears

After failing to secure a spot on the Capials' roster, forward Jakub Klepis, who came to training camp without a contract, is close to signing a professional tryout agreement with the Bears, I'm told.

The 23-year-old Czech native has practiced with the Capitals for the past week, which was kind of strange considering he wasn't on the team and wasn't under contract, either. I'm assuming he'll join the Bears tomorrow.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 10, 2007; 6:04 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Practice Update
Next: Thursday Morning Update

Comments

Tarik-
Is it surprising that all he got was a tryout agreement? Has his time with the Caps failed that miserably that an AHL contract wasn't a sure thing? It seems to me that a young, former first rounder who has put up pretty good numbers in the AHL would atleast garner an AHL contract. Do the Caps still have his rights? I can't believe that a team like the Blue Jackets wouldn't offer something for him.

Posted by: Yosh | October 10, 2007 6:30 PM | Report abuse

"t" in "Capitals'"?

Posted by: Bret | October 10, 2007 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Brett - good eye. :-)

Posted by: Dezlboy | October 10, 2007 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Yosh, I believe the Caps do still own his rights.

Posted by: Bret | October 10, 2007 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Remember, it was Jakub who turned down his QO. Big mistake. What was he thinking? I'm still wondering.

The Caps still own his rights. And even though he's signed a tryout contract, he's still a RFA because that's not an SPC.

Posted by: Tarik | October 10, 2007 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Wow! ESPN has now recognized us as the 20th best team in the league after being undefeated. Isn't it great to get some respect?

Posted by: Raber | October 11, 2007 5:14 AM | Report abuse

i'll pass on respect from espn. we as caps fans need to just keep our heads down for the next month or so until it pans out what we actually have.

Posted by: pgreene | October 11, 2007 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I also saw the 20th ranking with all three times the Caps defeated ranked above them. Fine, let ESPN be late-comers to the Caps bandwagon. When the PP clicks and the Caps take the SE title, they'll bow down before the mighty war-eagle! OK, too much coffee, but it is waaayyy too early to count the Caps a lock for the playoffs. But I do so much want to see ESPN's mulletheads humbled.

Posted by: Jim | October 11, 2007 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Im not liking those power rankings. Im not saying that just because the caps are 3-0 that they should be higher but a team like the panthers at 0-2 ranked 16th when the only reason they were thought to be a good team(signing of vokoun)hasnt played up to standards they should not be higher up then the caps.

Posted by: Luis | October 11, 2007 9:49 AM | Report abuse

The Jeff Sagarin Power ratings have the Caps at #4. It is still so early that mathmatical projections are too skewed to be taken seriously.

Posted by: Old Bob | October 11, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yosh | October 11, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Rankings mean nothing. These are sports writers sitting and placing teams where they think they belong. That is why the games are played.

The 'canes beat the Penguins 4-1, then lost to the Caps 2-0, then crushed Toronto 7-1. Yet one of those rankings had the Pens ranked 2, panthers ranked 16, and the Caps ranked 22!

Let's bookmark/save these rankings and see what they mean by the end of the year.

Posted by: Lee | October 11, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Klepis was practicing with the team without a contract? Is that allowed?

Posted by: EricS | October 11, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

What? Too early for projections after 3 games? The cup is as good as ours. Ya hear that, Oh-ta-wah? So just back off, um-k? I'm already tired of hearing how great you are from the media. Screw the media. I asked the Ducks and they said otherwise. bwahahahaha.

Posted by: 007 | October 11, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I often wonder what the caps need to do to get respect in this league. Going 3-0 to start the season and still no respect.

THE NERVE!

Posted by: Lee | October 11, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Jim? The Mighty War-Eagle...that's a keeper. I'm trying not to get too hyped, there are 79 games left, but... I have been amused to see us rise in the rankings, but a 3-game winning streak isn't enough to justify putting the Caps way at the top. If we manage to top both the Sabres and the Rangers this weekend I'd expect a bit more noise, and to see us jumping higher in the rankings. Personally, were looking at a couple tough teams and the Rangers are going to be gunning for us to avoid what could be a very scary start for them, given expectations. Friday's game will be very interesting. If we pick up one of those and are 4-1 I'll still be impressed.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | October 11, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

who cares, go caps. let them not pay any attention to us all year, that way it will be easier to sneek up on teams

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Tarik: What was he thinking? He was thinking the same thing Flash was thinking: My agent must know what he's doing, so if he thinks I should hold out, I'll hold out. They've got the same agent, and he screwed them both

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Sounds kind of like Jakub is the 'friend' that nobody wants to be around.

Anybody know what the QO was for, dollar wise?

Posted by: Mike13 | October 11, 2007 11:09 PM | Report abuse