Knuble: Caps Had 'Everything I Wanted'

Here's an early look at Tarik's story for tomorrow's paper:

The Washington Capitals acquired precisely the type of player they've lacked in recent seasons, signing rugged veteran Mike Knuble to a two-year contract in the opening hours of free agency.
Knuble, who spent the past four seasons playing for the rival Philadelphia Flyers, is a 6-foot-3, 230-pound winger who muscles his way to the net, sets up there, then uses his deft touch to slip rebounds past the goaltender. He has scored at least 21 goals in each of the past seven seasons, including reaching the 30-goal plateau twice, and is also considered a locker room leader.
"We just felt we needed someone else, a player on [the top] line in particular with [Alex] Ovechkin and [Nicklas] Backstrom that will go to the net," General Manager George McPhee said. "Mike's made his living there. He was the right guy for us and we got what we felt what was the right deal for him. We replaced a 13-goal scorer [Viktor Kozlov] with 27-goal scorer, and the team is better as a result."
Knuble, who turns 37 on Saturday, will earn $2.8 per season, the same amount he earned last season in Philadelphia.

Click here to read the whole thing.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  July 1, 2009; 7:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Are Caps Done?
Next: Morning Reading List: Caps Add Knuble

Comments

better team indeed. Great signing.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

"It was everything I wanted in another team," Knuble said. "It was on the east coast, another good city on the east coast, another team that's considered one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference. I think this team is on the verge of something good, maybe even something great."

Knuble also said he's looking forward to complementing the Capitals' cadre of skilled players, a role he's familiar with.

Last season in Philadelphia, he played with Mike Richards and Simon Gagne.

"I'm pretty confident that the way I play the game and the things that I do that I've proven [while] playing with Joe Thornton and Peter Forsberg, guys like that, that I can help these guys be big players," said Knuble, who was a member of the 2007-08 Detroit team that swept the Capitals in the Stanley Cup finals. "I know what to do for these guys, how to work, win battles in corners and do a lot of the dirty work to get these guys the puck. I take pride in that. No one needs to tell me how to play with these guys."

Although Knuble is nearly 15 years older than his new linemates, he said he's confident he's got plenty left to offer.

"If you look at my statistics throughout my career, I didn't play a lot of hockey until I turned 30," he said. "I didn't have a lot of mileage on me. I consider myself a low mileage guy. The guys that play a lot when they're younger, by the time they turn 37 they've got the back problem, knee problems, shoulder, wrist. As frustrating as it was to sit on the bench as a fourth liner back then, in the long run it's been a blessing for not letting me get too beat up early in my career."

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Just because I think you left out the best part..;)

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Excellent signing. Definitely addresses a weak spot (net presence).

As long as the guy holds up physically, this was a great move.

Posted by: PensFan98 | July 1, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Right attitude, amazing consistency, willingness to score those dirty goals. Clark scored 30 playing on a line with Ovie, I wonder what Knuble will do.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 1, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure that Knuble was NOT "a member of the 2007-08 Detroit team that swept the Capitals in the Stanley Cup finals." I'll go so far as to say that never happened.

Posted by: oo7 | July 1, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Haha, I did not even catch that 007.

Might want to edit that Tarik.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Typo has been fixed. Yiiikes. Thanks, folks.

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | July 1, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Knuble was on the 1998 Stanley Cup team that beat the Caps

Posted by: jake81 | July 1, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Im liking this signing!

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: ludeman95 | July 1, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I think Laich can handle the second line duties but I would not mind a trade for some one with a bit more of a deft touch. Lets Go Capitals!

Posted by: mjwies11 | July 1, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE READ MY BLOG!!! VOTE TOO!!!

Posted by: alexanderperlmutter | July 1, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Simple google search = Knuble was a Red Wing when they beat the Caps in 1998...

Posted by: drewsie | July 1, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

I too like this signing, this is the one that would have helped against the Pens. Hope he shows up more than Kozlov did, a real lunchbox type of player.

Posted by: zosodave | July 1, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Back from week long vacation in the SW - Santa Fe, Durango, Mesa Verda, Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly, Painted Desert - very little coverage on computer, very little TV, very little cell phone.

It is an entirely different world when the only two people on Earth are you at the canyon rim and some old Indian lady selling jewelry next to the parking spots.

Finally catching up, I was disapppointed with the draft - not moving Mo to get a abetter pick.

As for today - hoorah! I will re-post in morning salary cap data (it is on work computer) but I recall showing there was $3M in room assuming a $57M cap. Now cap is $56.8M and they signed Knuble at $2.8M. That means only cap room (and this excludes Mo) is who Knuble replaces. Anyway, net-crashing forward was my #1 want, thinking the experienced defenseman could come at next year's deadline.

Bottom line: This was more than I expected! We got a guy with some Dale Hunter in him! Another great move by a GM who has done great move after great move over the past 7-8 years (Nylander signing and Pokoluk draft the exceptions).

Next season can't start soon enough. If Clark comes back healthy and productive, Caps are as powerful as anyone in the East, esp if Pens can't keep Scuderi.

Posted by: tominfl1 | July 1, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Another typo: it's $2.8 MILLION per season....

Posted by: fnralch | July 1, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Heatley finally waived his NTC. He is an Oiler.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Gaborik to NYR 37.5M/5YRS

Posted by: mlody67 | July 1, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Gaborik is a Ranger.

Uh Oh..they just got some legit scoring. Will his hip stay together long enough for that?

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Gaborik to the Rangers, 5 years at $7.5 million per. Anyone think he's playing with fire skating on MSG ice?

Posted by: kittypawz | July 1, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Also, that is 7.5 mil/yr for a plastic hip.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Gaborik to the Rags: 5 years, $7.5 mil per.

Posted by: BackstromInBlack | July 1, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Gio to Habs

Cammallari-Gomez-Gionta

Quite a re-vamped first line.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

I like this move. I like what this guy has to say, and what he brings to this team. I dont think its a stretch to predict that with this guy alone we will score more goals this year than we did last year. With Varly getting most of the workload, the hope is that we will stop more pucks from going into the net than we did last year. Now if GMGM can do something to improve this D, I am ecstatic. If he stays pat, and does nothing, I will gladly watch that to see how it goes. If need be, make a move before the trade deadline during the season. We are all good.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | July 1, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm now waiting for two things - development camp and to see what happens at arbitration. I expect ShaMo to go to arbitration, and I expect the Caps to let him walk if Alzner appears ready at development camp.

Posted by: kittypawz | July 1, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Also, Brian Gionta to the Habs, five years at $5 million per. What is in Bob Gainey's water today?

Posted by: kittypawz | July 1, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Chris Neil stays in Ottawa and takes a pay cut to do it. 4 years at $2 million per.

Posted by: kittypawz | July 1, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

With Gio signing, Kovalev, Tanguay, and Koivu all might be headed out.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Madden to hawks.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alexanderperlmutter | July 1, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Madden signed for 1 year.

Would not have been a bad pickup for us. Great Pker and gives us more depth down the middle, though not truly a top 2 center. 2.75 mil probably a bit too steep for us, especially for not a true 2nd line center, but he has popped 20 goals twice.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I like the Gaborik signing if I'm a Rangers fan. The pickings are slim and he's by far the best forward that was available once the Sedin twins and Hossa signed elsewhere. Yes, he's been injury prone, but when he's healthy he's an elite level player.

Montreal have been BUSY!

Posted by: ranndino | July 1, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I know this is a very good signing because Knuble was one of the players that always caught my attention when we played Philly.

He will be a great screener and I think Ovechkin will see a significant increase in scoring because of it.

Posted by: novjo | July 1, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Montreal has been horrible. Awful overpayments to Spacek and Gionta. Oof.

Posted by: wesvenis | July 1, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Montreal = epic failure

Their GM is going to get fired for this debacle.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 1, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Montreal has been horrible. Awful overpayments to Spacek and Gionta. Oof.

Posted by: wesvenis | July 1, 2009 9:19 PM |

Gill, trading for Gomez's contract...
NO idea what they are doing up there.

CHI's GM is making more ridiculous moves though.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Gaborik is a real wild card. To be honest, I have hardly ever seen him play. Also, who can tell what he can really do, given: 1) he was playing in Lemaire's system that was defense #1, defense #2, defense #3, offense when it is available; and 2) he was injured so much recently.

Obviously the Rangers have up-to-date medical info. That said, what a gamble! I like the Knuble signing much better - less risk.

And what of Hossa...if Hawks make Finals and lose, a decent odds bet at this point, he goes into the history books.

Last year on July 1 it was top news on the Caps - Green, Laich, Huet and Theo. This year - just a splash with Knuble.. Now they have to lock up the RFAs. I see Knuble as way better value, similar cost, as Kozlov. Gotta get Fehr and Gordon locked up around $1M and let's hope they can keep Bourque in the mix. Plus, finally, moving Mo or Theo is a must. I will post tomorrow on the cap figures and it doesn't work unless one or other is gone. I will guess if Vancouver loses Ohlund the Caps send Mo home for a draft pick and prospect.

Posted by: tominfl1 | July 1, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Kings, after getting shafted the entire day, seems like they are able to scrounge at the leftovers. HAHA.

Havlat, and the old Habs for them.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

From TSN.CA

ANALYSIS: The Washington Capitals said goodbye to one veteran NHLer last week when Sergei Fedorov signed to play in the Kontinental League. They replaced him Wednesday – and at a significantly cheaper salary – with former Flyers winger Mike Knuble.

Knuble, who scored 27 times for Philadelphia in 2008-09 and has netted at least 20 goals in each of the past six seasons, comes to the Capitals on a two-year, $5.6-million deal. The Toronto native, who turns 37 on Saturday and brings maturity and leadership to the Caps, likely will start the year on Washington’s second line and should be on the first power play unit.

Knuble’s addition not only makes the Capitals stronger, it also significantly hurts the right wing depth of one of Washington’s biggest conference rivals.

========

What this article doesn't say is that Knuble made the jump at no pay change.

There are a few teams that are in some serious cap trouble. Philly's one. Calgary and Chicago are two others. Taking Knuble helps Philly a little in that area, but there may be more there.

Chicago lost their goalie and are now stuck with Huet who had a terrible year last year. They could replace him with another high priced goalie, but a LT deal doesn't make sense for them if the cap goes down significantly next year as expected.

It would be interesting to see if they'd want to look at Theo who has a one year contract deal left. I'm pretty sure we'd let him go for picks. Or maybe a Duncan Keith or Cam Barker.

Posted by: Greg S. | July 1, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

VAN lost Ohlund a long time ago...the first signing announced actually.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Interesting about their feelings on Brashear...

ANALYSIS: With Colton Orr’s departure to the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Rangers found themselves with a hole in the pugilist department. That vacancy was short lived, however, as GM Glen Sather found himself a big, bad man in Donald Brashear. There’s not much secret about what you get with Brashear, but at 37 there are large question marks about his effectiveness as an enforcer and his ability to play day in and day out. Why Slats would hand out a two-year deal is beyond comprehension.

Posted by: Greg S. | July 1, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Or maybe a Duncan Keith or Cam Barker.

Posted by: Greg S. | July 1, 2009 9:28 PM

Wishful thinking. Both of these guys are worth a ton more than Theo. As evident of last year, CHI doesnt mind loading up on goalies...but their Cap is so fu**ed right now, I don't see it happening.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

This made me laugh:

"Bernie Madoff must be doing CHI's numbers."

L-O-L!

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

ahh, the dreaded "best forward/defenseman/goalie" available in the market...

this is how teams get BURNED with free agency. just because such and such a player is the best available in this year or that year's market, doesn't mean he deserves the top dollar but as we see today teams NEVER learn and keep overpaying for these players.

these teams can learn something from their counterparts in the NBA. Next year there are some big names free agents will be available, the biggest name being Lebron James and several teams have been preparing themselves for next offseason... if you're gonna sign a FA, that's the best way to go about it.. PLAN AHEAD!! not just months ahead but at least a couple years ahead.

Posted by: joek443 | July 1, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

You gotta feel bad for the Kings. They have the money to spend on Gaborik, Cammallari, Hossa, etc.

Instead, all of them sign to other teams and they are left with Havlat and all the Habs who became UFAs.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Nice addition of Knuble to the Caps. A low mileage, late bloomer, so now he's better for his age than most.

How will Montreal do next year with their new guys (and their old ones leaving)?

Interesting that NY Rangers signed Brashear. I figured he was persona non grata after the playoffs.

I see the Sedin twins are back with Vancouver. Then again, they're the heart of that team's offense. (I was speculating on the possibility of the Caps signing them and imagining a line of Semin-Sedin-Sedin as they are a center and a right winger. That would have been a sick line. But the Caps couldn't have afforded them.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | July 1, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts on everything today:

Brash: interesting that the Rags would want him after he break one of there guys face.

Komisarek: 4.5 a season for 5 years. I thought he would get closer to 5 (not that I think he is worth it). He also has a limited no trade clause. Will TOR ever learn with these?

Kubina/ATL trade. cap trade ATL still sucks. I'm glad exelby is out of the division.

Roloson to NYI - expect him to be traded around deadline time.

MTL signings - OVERPAID.

Gaborik - NY will regret it.

Ohland - good move my tampa. the long contract keeps his cap hit low, towards the end he will be traded or sent to the minors ala satan this year.

Cole - I hate this guy! except when he was in edm

COL/anderson - the bigger the risk the bigger the reward... they have more risk in this case.

Montador - get a new agent. I would take him on the caps for that price.

Chris Neil - good value by ottawa.

Hossa - 12 YEARS???

We got 1 need out of 3 today. I expect need 2 to come in a trade around march and piece 3 to come next year. (if you don't know what our 3 needs are you havent read these boards enough)

Posted by: caps512 | July 1, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Right now I want to celebrate Knuble signing with the Caps, but there are riots out in the streets here with Komisarek and Orr signing.

Happy Canada day Les Habitants and Leafs. Still doesn't look like you'll be getting a Cup soon.

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | July 1, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Makes perfect sense to sign Ohlund. He will be a great mentor to Hedman. As for the rest of the team, I'd still be concerned if I was a Lightning fan

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | July 1, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Montador got way more than he should have.

That is all.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

they all got more than they should have, some just a LOT more than others... that's the problem with free agency.

if you look at all sports, not just hockey big FA signings fail more than they succeed. the best way is to build from within, lock up your own good players and sign SELECTIVE FAs here and there to fill small holes on the team.

Posted by: joek443 | July 1, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

@joek443: Not if you ask this board. Why, we should go out and sign Komisarek, Cammalleri, and Knuble and damn the salary cap and damn Hershey according to some folks on here.

Heh. The most likely move on D is to move ShaMo and bring up Alzner. We'll know more in July and August, probably.

Posted by: kittypawz | July 1, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

It's amazing the number of posters who were saying the Caps weren't going to make the playoffs next year.

Analysis. Okay, there are 15 teams and 8 teams are in. We can eliminate the NY Islanders and Tampa Bay for next year, even with their new draftees. That's two down. Then, there's Toronto who's mismanaged. And Atlanta, who have Kovalchuk but no defense. So, two more down. Don't think Florida will make the playoffs, not with Bouwmeester gone. And then Ottawa'a a sinking ship, which is why Heatley wanted out. So, I've already eliminated 6 teams so there's only one more left among the remaining teams who will miss. With all the crazy changes going on in Montreal, I'm not so sure about their chances.

Now most of the decent teams in the East can practically back into the playoffs.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | July 1, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ranndino | July 1, 2009 9:14 PM |

Bure...LaFontaine...

when will the Rags learn.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Great pick up by the Caps. It is cap friendly move and makes sense until others grow into the role. Excellent... as per usual. Good work GMGM.

Defensive help will come during the year.

Posted by: Tikkanen08 | July 1, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

The Knuble signing is a good birthday present for me (a day early). He's the only thing going right on a birthday weekend for me that's has not been going well for me, otherwise, as flu has hit our household.

Mike and I are close to sharing a birthday.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | July 1, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

It won't be the Rags that regret Gaborik, it will be Gaborik that will regret the Rags. Health issues aside, Gaborik is a true offensive talent and you can't teach speed. If he found the right fit I think he would be a KEY piece on a Cup contending team. Maybe the Rags mesh better under Torts for a full year and they start scoring some more goals, but I don't see them as a contender unless Henrik CARRIES them.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 1, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Knuble: GREAT! maybe he can teach laich and fehr how to go to the front of the net....Thats all I got. I know I missed a few things, feel free to rip my analysis to shreads.
Posted by: caps512 | July 1, 2009 9:54 PM |

Laich actually already goes to the net. Fehr needs the lessons.

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 1, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

The problem with Brashear is that you need four lines these days and he really bogged down his line. You can't play with five D anymore and keep a tough guy on the bench for fighting situations only. Teams are moving away from having a guy who can't really play, and though Brashear can do something with the puck when it's on his stick he can't skate anywhere close to NHL speed.
Posted by: milfordone | July 1, 2009 7:07 PM |

Point taken.
However, the physical presence was something we really didn't have during the pinz series. Sicne none of our guys (save OV) brought it sending Brash out there would have helped.
We didn't get beat on talent by the pins, we got beat in the grit area & the corners.
So if we were shorthanded in that area, @ least his 4-5 shifts a night in that series would have made the Kunitz & Cookes of the world think twice about running our guys.

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 1, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

On Brash leaving.

These days, we don't need a pure enforcer but we do need grit. Knuble can certainly provide that.

Our guys are more bothered by the goons with talent (i.e. Kunitz, Orpik, Backes, Pronger, Gleeson) than by the enforcers. Those guys are usually playing on either 1st or 2nd line or the 1st or 2nd Defensive pairing. A Brash type wouldn't really be playing against those guys.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | July 1, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

@ joek443

You're right. Many big free agent signings have been failures regardless of the sport.

In hockey, the salary cap makes any failed free agent signings more stark. A bad signing, especially a bad signing for a long term, is truly an albatross.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | July 1, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Very good insights Capsfan75! & I tend to agree that while Brash is a fan favorite, replacing him with Knuble's skill & grit may be a deterrence to those pinheads.

Looking @ Knuble's stats - I am more impressed every minute:

If we can get Clark to just be 75% of what he was 3 years ago - all of a sudden we have the muckers to compliment the skill guys.

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 2, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

I just realized I read Gaborik's salary wrong. $7.5 Mil PER? I must amend my words from my previous post. BOTH Gaborik and the Rangers will regret it...although maybe Gaborik won't getting paid 7.5 large to be hurt most of each season.

Who was the guy on here that said Sathers "owned" GMGM? I know I jobbed you last night but I feel the need to remind you that you said that and job you again.

I have no idea what Montreal is doing by the way. It looks like they're just throwing a bunch of money at a bunch of already thrown crap stains on the wall to see what sticks to what and where.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 2, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

@Rocc00

And Knuble practically shares a birthday with me.

I was watching the games at VC where Backes did his infamous cross checking thing. And Orpik doing his slashing thing (as in multiple slashes to Semin). As a minimum, he slashed Semin in the face early in game 1 resulting in stitches. And then late in the game, did the slash to the hand.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | July 2, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

I saw some postings today. There was one poster who called for the return of Brendan Witt. And wanted Semin to be dumped in a trade. (Okay, they weren't to be traded for each other.) That particular fan preferred the defensive brand of Caps.

I know who I'd rather have (between those two) and the answer is not Brendan Witt.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | July 2, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Turns out Heatley is a nutjob.

Who knew?

Posted by: richmondphil | July 2, 2009 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Just saw a headline on the internet that read "Donald Brashear a New York Ranger". Ouch that hurt. Hope that the Caps will be okay w/o an enforcer and won't get punished too bad by Brash or any other tough guy in our conference and/or division. Good luck guys. Kill them with kindness. You attract more bees with honey than vinegar.

Posted by: capsfan01 | July 2, 2009 4:00 AM | Report abuse

Komisarek will get $4M+ from some team... My guess is that it won't be from us.

Posted by: JSchon | June 11, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Where is freakinandpeakin? Man do I look like a clairvoyant.

Posted by: JSchon | July 2, 2009 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Rocc00:
Laich goes to the net sometimes. He is not terribly consistent about it. When he does it it usually results in beautiful things. The problem is that he probably does it less than 50% of the time. Knuble is EXACTLY what the Caps need. Smooth move, GMGM!

Posted by: --Boo-- | July 2, 2009 7:32 AM | Report abuse

LOVE the Knuble signing. Loved Brash, but it was time to let him go. I honestly don't see GMGM making any more moves unless a decent trade for a good D or second line C falls into his lap. I say go with what we have, see how the callups do and if it looks like we need more, Theo will be a trade deadline dangler.

Posted by: snakegriffin | July 2, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Clymer (Buyout) 0.367
Total 23 Players + Clymer 56.345
Cap Space (Est) 56.800
Available 0.455

Posted by: tominfl1 | July 2, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Top 10 deals from yesterday:

Knuble is 4th - "the ultimate round peg for a round hole." Love it!

For everyone who thought GMGM was not going to do anything yesterday, I told you he was bluffing! :-) I hope he is not done working his magic ... got a timely trade up your sleeve, McPhee?

Posted by: --Boo-- | July 2, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Dave,
That was I who said it. I will gladly eat crow :)

We got exactly what we needed and perfectly happy with what GMGM did yesterday. Agreed, I don't know what Gainey and Sather were drinking yesterday, thank goodness GMGM didn't drink it!

Posted by: caps28fan | July 2, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Capitals Rank Sixth in ESPN The Magazine's 2009 Ultimate Standings - Team ranks No. 1 in responsiveness to fan feedback

The Washington Capitals rank sixth in the newly released ESPN The Magazine’s 2009 Ultimate Standings list, jumping 39 spots from last year in part because of a first place ranking in responsiveness to fan feedback. The magazine rated 122 Major League Baseball (MLB), National Basketball Association (NBA), National Football League (NFL) and National Hockey League (NHL) franchises by how much they give back to fans.

“It is great to be recognized by ESPN The Magazine,” Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis said, “and I am proud that our organization continues to deliver great value to our fans. Our fan base is one of the most passionate in all of sports. We had a great season, and we shared it with great fans. The Verizon Center was electric and promises to be in the future as Caps fans continue to rock the red.”

The report was the result of exclusive and original analysis by ESPN The Magazine and the Warsaw Sports Marketing Center, combined with fan feedback data gathered by the consulting firm Maddock Douglas, ESPN.com and GMI NetReflector. More than 50,000 responses were collected. The analysis is used to determine how franchises establish and maintain the greatest overall reward for their fans.

Teams were judged on affordability, bang for the buck, coaching, fan relations, ownership, players, stadium experience and title track. The Capitals’ No. 1 ranking in responsiveness to fan feedback helped the organization to place 11th in fan relations. Other categories where Washington ranked high were ownership (fifth), coaching (10th), players (12th), which relates to the effort the players put on the ice and their likability off the ice, and stadium experience (15th). Washington enjoyed what could be considered the franchise’s most successful regular season in history to move up 54 spots to rank 11th for bang for the buck. The Capitals improved in all of the categories resulting in the overall ranking of sixth.

Washington had a club-record 29 sellouts in the regular season and sold out every playoff game at Verizon Center. The average attendance was 99% of capacity. The Capitals have sold out for season tickets for 2009-10, making Verizon Center the place to be.

Posted by: --Boo-- | July 2, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Re: Tom

Good Job,

What I'd like to see is the following:

ShaMo-Gone (hopefully part of Trade Pkg)
Gordon Gone- hopefully for an 8th Round Draft Pick...
Fehr- gone
Schultz-Hershey

Obviously the anchors around the team's necks are Nylander,Theo and Clark..

I just don't see a market for them unless Bob Gainey continues his Crack Smoking...

Would like to get Koivu but I think he is going to Minnesota...

The other trade possibility is Poti..I like what he has done but you have to give up something to get something...and the team could use the $3.5M in room.

Posted by: opus1m | July 2, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Why doesn't Boyd Gordon get any love? He was originally brought in as a youngster to center Jagr's line and that project failed. I think for a first round draft pick he has accepted his role and knows how to contribute to the Caps. He's an excellent penalty killer that will sacrifice his body to clear the puck. He's a decent face-off guy, and his PIMs are low every season. He's a reliable 3rd or 4th line guy at a reasonable salary.

Posted by: fanohock1 | July 2, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

If I was GMGM I would try to get Robert Lang. Sign him to a one year deal and put him in the second line position with Semin and Clark. Lang is big and is a career plus. He also possesses the leadership qualities we are looking for. It is a nice gap measure until baby bengt is able to assume his role on the team.

That would allow Laich to play on the third line with Fehr and Fleischman.

Posted by: diner99 | July 2, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

@opus1m--

Fehr and Schultz are cheap, young and have a lot of potential to be worth something. Not every player is a phenom. Gordon is one of the best Caps on the PK, so his loss for an 8th rounder is just stupid. ShaMo can fit the team, but he'll ask for too much cabbage, so he is likely gone. I doubt GMGM will be able to trade his rights away given how much trouble ShaMo is to sign to a reasonable long-term deal. Alzner/Sloan is an upgrade from ShaMo given that Alzner will continue to develop into a top line blueliner and Sloan is pure heart.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | July 2, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

How are we supposed to afford Lang?

Nothing happens without a trade.

@fanofhock1

I have absolutely no problem with Gordon. I don't know why having a bit more center depth is a bad thing. Yeah, Madden would be an upgrade on the PK, but also cost 4x the price.

Heatley quote:

Dany Heatley refused to waive his NTM clause still, because -

- He doesn't think its right for the Oilers to pay his bonus.
- Thinks Bryan Murray didn't word hard enough
- Believes theres still other teams interested in acquiring him.

LOL

Posted by: richmondphil | July 2, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Fan:

I do not hate Boyd Gordon, I just think he is tremendously overated..he is extremely weak on his skates..loses just about every board battle he is in and of course he has no offensive ability..He is a first round mistake undersized and easily replacable with someone who can win faceoffs and possibly stay on his skates when hit

Posted by: opus1m | July 2, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: --Boo-- | July 2, 2009 7:32 AM

I agree, I should have said 'sometimes' also.

Posted by: Rocc00 | July 2, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Would GMGM be interested in signing Michael Peca to be our 2nd-line center? He would come here for $1M, right? He would be a good 2-way forward to add.

Posted by: MigMora | July 2, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Peca's best days are well behind him. I don't think he'd fit at 2nd line. Then again, if he is centering Semin and Flash/Fehr, he may work as a two-way for guys not that umm adept at backchecking.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | July 2, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Opus: Not sure how a guy that plays every PK, and used at times to go against the other teams top line, and getting paid $725K can be over rated. As a 1st rounder there were higher expectations for him for sure, but he is never a liability for the Caps. There are by far more 1st round busts than successes. I wouldn't consider Gordon a bust because he has earned an NHL roster spot two years in a row. 2002 wasn't a bad draft for the Caps, we picked Semin at 13 and Gordon at 17.

Posted by: fanohock1 | July 2, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

we'll see how much an enforcer type is needed next season. i can't wait to see all the whinning here when our skill guys are getting hammered early in the season. McPee, you a Bettman shill????

Knuble a good sign, though. Lets get that crease clearing d-man, Ted.

Posted by: doughless | July 2, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Agree w you Doughless. We are going to see a lot of whining on here when our guys are playing w less confidence w/o an enforcer. The Caps are kind of soft and not having an enforcer doesn't help. But I really do hope it works out and they don't get pushed around by the Rangers, Pens, and Philly.

Posted by: capsfan01 | July 2, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse