Knuble on Ovechkin: 'You would like to see him being more careful'

Earlier today, I spoke to a handful of Caps about Alex Ovechkin's latest controversy. All said -- not surprisingly -- that they felt the five-minute major for boarding and game misconduct were a bit harsh.

Veteran Mike Knuble did not want to comment specifically on the hit, but the 37-year-old did say he would like to see his hard-hitting teammate tone down some of his aggressiveness, if for no other reason than self-preservation.

"He has the reputation that he plays hard," Knuble said. "But things seem to be happening around him. You would like to see him being more careful because, number one, you don't want to see him hurt himself and, number two, so he doesn't miss games -- for our benefit."

Knuble also said he spoke to Ovechkin about doing a better job picking his spots during a blowout victory in Denver on Dec. 15.

"There was something in the corner with maybe five minutes left," Knuble said. "[Ovechkin] kind of went at a guy. [The score] was 6-1. I was kind of like, 'Slow down a bit, just for your own sake. You don't need to accidentally catch your knee on somebody.'"

The conversation came after Ovechkin already had been fined for slew-footing Altanta's Rich Peverley, missed six games for a shoulder injury resulting from a scrum against Columbus, an ejection for boarding Buffalo's Patrick Kaleta and a two-game suspension for kneeing Carolina's Tim Gleason.

"There are some times," Knuble added, "when as a player, you can save yourself a little bit."

Eric Fehr also weighed in on Sunday's hit, saying that while he doesn't agree with the major penalty Ovechkin was assessed, he does think the NHL should consider the extent of injury when determining whether to suspend a player who gets a major.

"I think a player's injury should come into play -- if the hit was illegal," he said. "But this was a very questionable call for a five-minute major. It was a hit from the side and he fell in awkwardly. But if the league decides the hit is illegal, then maybe injury should come into play. I think it's fair that if you hit a guy [who is] in a bad position, that maybe you should pay for that."

In the meantime, we're all still waiting to find out whether the NHL feels it's time for Ovechkin to pay up.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 15, 2010; 3:18 PM ET
 | Tags: Alex Ovechkin, Mike Knuble
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Awaiting a decision on Alex Ovechkin
Next: NHL suspends Alex Ovechkin two games

Comments

Free Ovie now!!

Posted by: cbs75 | March 15, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

BS if they suspend him but not Cooke. BS if they don't suspend him because he's a star. Colin Campbell made his own bed here.

Posted by: Langway4Eva | March 15, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

The waiting is driving me mad.

Honestly.

But I disagree with Fehr on taking injury or the lack thereof into account. By doing that, it means goons like Downie can get away with things like that blatant slew-foot on Crosby last night... no blood, no foul.

No, illegal is illegal, and should be punished the same way regardless of injury.

Posted by: irockthered | March 15, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

The only positives of a suspension would be that it gives him some extra rest and motivation heading into the playoffs.

Posted by: billster | March 15, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskins2448 | March 15, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Not only is it self-preservation, now he's gaining a reputation and the league will watch him much much closer. Finally, but not least, a captain doesn't need to be doing this unless he's on the blueline.

Posted by: bundy44 | March 15, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

There an interesting video over at McKenzie's blog that has some interviews with Habs players about Ovi's hit (granted, Gomez hadn't seen it yet). The most interesting part of it is that players and teams not directly involved aren't nearly as irate as us Caps' fans and 'Hawks fans (or anyone with a rooting interest). What one of them says is a perfect defintion of AO8's style of play: reckless. And he seems to mean reckless abandon with a sense of hockey player pride. And it's true - that's exactly how he plays and he'll do some stuff wrong by playing that way. That is a wholly different thing than dirty or cheap and all the players in the NHL know it.

Keep playing the same way, be careful, be cool.

Posted by: saintex | March 15, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I love the Caps and I love Ovie but like my mother always said

"save up enough pennies; eventually you get yourself a dollar"

eventually its going to be hard for BB or GMGM to defend him. He seems to racking up the instances for himself. I gotta believe is he was not so prolific, there would be hell for him to pay.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | March 15, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

No one is saying the league should suspend or not suspend based on injury alone. But the league should be able to take injury into consideration.

Like Fehr said, if the hit is illegal, then the resulting injury should be weighed when considering the punishment.

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 15, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Wtaching Semin play never gets boring; A breakaway and a penalty? geezz.. gotta love him. I'll even say he's more fun to watch than ovi, and that's saying alot.

Posted by: guer_j | March 15, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

All Caps fans (mostly) love the way Ovechkin plays. Telling him to change isn't going to happen. I love everything about his game especially the physical part of it. But I DO want to see him be more careful and make decisions better. He's GOT TO understand when to lay off sometimes. He lays out some insane hits but there are those times when he needs to think before he takes action. Like yesterday's hit was just unnecessary, period. No way else to put it, but that didn't need to happen. He wasn't being dirty or trying to hurt Campbell but that's a hit you lay off. There's no need for that. That is the only problem I have. He'll say he won't change his game but I hope he curbs it just a bit for the sake of himself and his teammates.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 15, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Ovi plays on the edge. Ovi plays reckless. Ovi plays dirty sometimes.

I wouldn't have it any other way. Start picking your hits more/use your head more, but other than that, Ovi is everything you want in a player.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 15, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I really hope Ovie is careful. It would be wise to heed Knuble's words. He is becoming a marked man. In the league office,by the refs and by someone to be measured up and taken out on the ice.

Posted by: ridgely1 | March 15, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Why is it Ovechkin's fault that Campbell lost his footing on a push? You can't really even classify it as a "hit". It was more of a shove-just like the countless others that happen in every NHL game.

Unfortunately Campbell is injured but are players supposed to let someone collect the puck within 5 feet of the boards without any physical contact? That sounds more like my non checking men's league (mind you I'm sporting several bruises and sore limbs from yesterday's "non checking" league game).

Hockey is a contact sport. Yes, flagrant cheap shots should face disciplinary action. But not routine contact that results in an injury. Maybe the NHL should put up a new 5 ft crease around the entire perimeter of the rink where no contact is allowed. How lame would that be?

Posted by: Digitalman08 | March 15, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Veteran comments from a real leader. OV would be wise to listen to his teammate. Given the investment Ted has in his captain, you would think the "Coach" would step in and provide some leadership. The Knuble signing was one of GMGM's better moves in quite a while.

Posted by: doughless | March 15, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Trade Ovi for Cooke.

No dirties on this team, please!

Posted by: richmondphil | March 15, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Here's a weird one. A TSN article (available at http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=314143 ) originally included the following text as the next-to-last paragraph. It was subsequently deleted:

"With this suspension, the league has sent a clear message to No. 8 that his actions will not be tolerated, regardless of the fact that he is a marquee name."

I have to wonder if this was a reporter spilling the beans in advance, or perhaps a reference to the earlier suspension cut-and-pasted from a prior article, or wishful thinking from a biased reporter.

Posted by: 1995hoo | March 15, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bundy44 | March 15, 2010 3:24 PM |

Do you want me to name captains who play as aggressive/physical as Ovi?

Posted by: richmondphil | March 15, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I think Knuble hit it on the head here. Things seem to be happening around Alex this season whether its his fault or not. We proved yesterday that we are the best team in the league right now. Tone it down a touch and just be the baddest sniper in the world. The Cup is absolutely ours for the taking if we play smart hockey the next three months.

Posted by: TrabZ | March 15, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I agree w/ Fher, the injury should be weighted in if it's an illegal hit. I'll also weigh in the offending player malice if that can be somehow quantified.

Posted by: guer_j | March 15, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

for those of us at games on a regular basis at Verizon; there a loads of hits that Ovi pulls out of....loads that you don't see on TV because the panorama isn't there. For every two or three hits finished per game, I'd say he pulls away from an equal number. He lays off, often.

How many hits has he registered in his career? 1,000? 1,200? I don't like the results of the four big hits that have caused problems or suspensions but, really, four? 4/10s of one percent? Reckless, yep. Dirty? Cheap? Nope. No one plays the game the way he does.

Posted by: saintex | March 15, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I think Knuble's take on self-preservation is valid in some cases, but not on this one for two reasons. 1st, it was a marque game pitting two possible Cup finalists. The game was only minutes old and Ovie should be expected to be out there doing what he does to win games. 2nd, the hit in question was not "reckless" and as can be seen, was more of a push - no elbow, no leaving his feet, not on an unsuspecting player. He finished his check and unfortunately a player was injured. There is only so much the league is able to do to minimize the injuries. What next, no elevated slapshots?

Posted by: gonchpup | March 15, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I have to strongly disagree with doughless. To me those are comments of someone that should not be wearing an "A" on his sweater unless it is followed shortly by the word hole.

First, players are supposed to play the game not the score. When players "let up" some would even say that is when injuries are more likely to occur. Further, it is a bad habit to loosen up on the focus on the game because of the score. Once it is turned off doesn't mean that it will be there to turn back on. Just ask Nashville about those 6 that the Sharks put up on them in the third.

What gets my gall about Knuble's comments is that if he feels that way fine. He can feel that way. To be a leader and wear an "A" you don't hang out a teammate like that with the media.

As for Fehr saying that time of injury should be a factor? Did I read that right? This from one of the most injury prone players in the NHL? I'm strongly against time of injury as a determination in punishment. There are far to many variables dealing with integrity and conditioning.

So, I am indifferent if Ovechkin gets suspended. I don't think he should, but I know the league makes up the rules as they go along (lack of integrity on the leagues part). I expect the worst. Maybe I'll be surprised. As much as it pains me to say this, I still agree with Mike Milbury on most of this. Also, if I were able to (which I'm not) I rip Knuble a new "A" and give the one from his sweater to someone that gets it that you don't bad mouth a teammate to the press.

Posted by: lornemyoung | March 15, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't Colin Campbell not be involved in the decision about Ovechkin given the fact his son plays against Ovechkin's team in the next game? Also given the last time something like this happened the player (on the Habs I forget the name right now) got 4 games do you really think the NHL is stupid enough to give Ovechkin the same thing and have him miss the marketing oppertunity against Crosby and the Pens (on NHL network btw)? At most they give him three games and everyone will complain because the other guy got more. The NHL is getting into a habbit of making really bad decisions on suspensions and then deciding that they have to live with that mistake for the rest of the season.

Posted by: icehammer97 | March 15, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I think there is some validity to discipline based on injury but whats to stop players then from faking injury, or coaches to sit them with an "upper body injury" to get a harsher penalty against big name players.

Penguins player Craig Adams levels Ovechkin head first into the side boards earlier this year:

Exactly the same hit, except ovechkin wasn't injured.

But if Ovechkin gets suspended I suggest we start a "Trade Ovie for Cooke" campaign, or Avery, or Downie. We want only quality players on our team.

Posted by: breaklance | March 15, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

i posted this on the last entry:

seriously Caps fans, if OV would have suffered a similar fate (injury wise), this town would be out for the head of the offending party. if you deny that, you aren't being honest.

Posted by: doughless | March 15, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

They've already gone in an fixed Beckham's freaking Achilles already but we don't have word yet from the NHL? THEY DID SURGERY and are done. Are they writing this out on papyrus with a calligrapy pen? Christ.

Posted by: saintex | March 15, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Lets say Ovi (star player) hits not Cambell but a 4th line call up...do the Pens (in this example) keep this player out as "injured" so that Ovi gets a bigger suspension? How do you judge an injury compared to games out if the player injured takes more time to heal?

Questions - I want answers!

Posted by: jeets | March 15, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

My understanding is that Campbell weighs 32 lbs lighter than Ovie. That is significant since most D-men these days are quite large and hard to move. The days of Phil Housley sized defensemen seem to be phasing out. I'm a big Caps fan and trying to be objective...it just didn't look like a bad hit to me partly because he was 4 or 5 feet from the boards when the hit was initiated.

Posted by: Versus | March 15, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

doughless: Yes, if Ovie got hurt like the way Campbell is (rumored) to be injured, I'd be beyond pissed but in my opinion his hit does warrant a suspension but my thing is if Cooke and those other guys didn't get suspended, why should Ovechkin?

Posted by: rachel216 | March 15, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Lorne:

i strongly disagree with your comments regarding Knuble. It is too bad the Coach can't have a sack and advise his 24 year old captain that perhaps he needs to be more aware of his mortality. the push was a stupid play from one of hockey's best. he needs to play smarter. that is what Knuble is saying (and what the coach should be advising too).

Posted by: doughless | March 15, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: saintex |

HAHAHA! I love it!

Posted by: NatyBG | March 15, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

rachel:

be honest. if the play was flipped, you and many other diplomats here would be howling for a suspension.

Posted by: doughless | March 15, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Versus: I agree with you but he still shouldn't of hit him. It also didn't help that Campbell's legs kinda gave out as he was going down. He was in a prone position and Ovie shouldn't of touched him. The NBC guys made a point that people don't realize how strong Ovechkin is.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 15, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Saintex nailed it. Go back and re-read it. End of discussion.

OV's knee-to-knee criticism? He comes in on Gonchar and Gleason with a technically proper, strong wide stance, and they try to get around him-- he does not stick his leg out from his own incoming stance in either case.

50 plays similar to the one yesterday on Campbell happen every day in NHL games. Campbell catches a skate, bad luck for him. Period.

Ovechkin hits, and the rest is a numbers game. He is never dirty.

Posted by: capsfan7 | March 15, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

doughless: Yes I would be begging for a suspension but did you read what I wrote??? Obviously not. I said Ovechkin's hit DOES deserve a suspension.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 15, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey Richmond, Go away. Ovi is NOT a dirty player. You have to go to Richmond to see that.....oh I forgot, your team left town.

Posted by: rjma1 | March 15, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't see Ovie's hit as warranting a suspension, for one main reason. He already missed a game, one of the biggest of the season, due to shoving a guy who happened to lose his balance and get his skate caught in the ice. The refs made a horrible decision by giving him a major instead of a minor or double minor, so he already paid the price for what he did. He did make a bad decision in pushing Campbell, but it was not dirty or illegal - just the result of the play was.

As for someone trying to get revenge on Ovie by lining him up on the ice - I'd love to see them try it, Ovie will lay them out just like he always does.

Posted by: timmyv38 | March 15, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

@doughless

I think it is very inappropriate for you to assume how I would respond if Ovechkin were injured. Clearly you let bias cloud your own judgment if you can assume how I would respond to something that hasn't happened yet. By being a Capitals fan does not = my being stupid.

Though it may = my being a bit crazy. Despite recent results, it isn't like we are fans of a dynastic franchise. Could be worse though I suppose. I could be an Islanders fan. Damn! Never mind.

Posted by: lornemyoung | March 15, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

One last thing, while we wait for a decision to apparently be rendered via pony express from Pluto: everyone seems to believe, and rightly so, that Ovi is a freaking powerhouse on the ice. Everyone knows he hits, everyone knows his power (see: on butt, Gill, Hal). If Ovi really were a dirty or cheap player he would simple be crushing people every single game and putting them in the sick ward. It's doesn't happen.

Posted by: saintex | March 15, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

The NHL won't comment if there's no suspension or if there's an undisclosed fine, right? If I understand the process, the word of a non-suspension is usually leaked by the interested parties.

As to the TSN story, it's likely the journalist wrote two different stories - one for each scenario - and the wrong one was published.

Or the right one was published too soon. We'll see.

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 15, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Start pounding on the windows at Kettler. We want answers. To Ovie to not to Ovie?

Posted by: lornemyoung | March 15, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

@timmyv38

I agree completely.

I do think something must be going on, possibly a Caps appeal of the proposed discipline, for a decision not to have been rendered yat.

Posted by: sgm3 | March 15, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

"But two of Ovechkin's teammates had interesting takes on the hit that left Chicago defenseman Brian Campbell possibly out for the season with a reported broken collarbone, rib and concussion."

Who is reporting this? and how do you get a concussion and a broken rib from getting your shoulder slammed into the boards?

Next thing they'll report he got hit with a tire iron.

Posted by: IceNutz | March 15, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

He's Ovechkin & puts fans in seats all around the league... They need him as he needs them... Sh_t happens... He might get a game since Soupy couldn't keep his edge before getting "pushed" by Ovie to keep the 'Hawks happy, but Soupy was his worst enemy regarding his injuries...

Bottom line... He is Alex Ovechkin & he is the co-face (Cindy) of the NHL at this time... He will always get a lil less punishment/benefit of the doubt for his actions.

Posted by: tony325 | March 15, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I am getting really nervous about how long they are taking to report this! I feel like this is probably not a good sign.

Posted by: capscoach | March 15, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Next thing they'll report he got hit with a tire iron.

Posted by: IceNutz

TOO FUNNY! Did anyone see Tonya Harding out there?!?

Posted by: NatyBG | March 15, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Next thing they'll report he got hit with a tire iron.

Posted by: IceNutz | March 15, 2010 4:16 PM |

huh?

it's already been confirmed; broken collar bone and ribs.

He's out for a long time.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 15, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

For a split second there was a tweet (I hate tweets) up on McKenzie's twitter about "that's why he got no fine and no suspension". Didn't have a subject and was a response to someone else...then it disappeared...hmmmm.

Posted by: saintex | March 15, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

The NHL handed down word of Cooke's non-suspension last week around 4:30, 5:00 the day of the disciplinary hearing. I'd expect we'll be hearing from them in the next half hour or so...

Posted by: wmsheppa | March 15, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil, I think he's commenting on the dubious nature of getting a concussion from a should hit.

Personally, I think the idea that the injury should have any bearing on the league response is close to idiotic. What's stopping a GM from leaking that player X has a "Broken blood vessel and will be out 8 weeks." The league comes down hard on the hitter and then - its a miracle..., the guy is back in 1 week.

This will especially be true in the playoffs.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | March 15, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

2 games. I was expecting 4 to be honest... could have been a lot worse.

Posted by: wmsheppa | March 15, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Two games. Not bad, I was really expecting more.

Posted by: rademaar | March 15, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Ov gets 2 games per tarik..

Posted by: samb99 | March 15, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Well, the NHL just increased Crosby's chances of winning the scoring title.

Posted by: sgm3 | March 15, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

TSN saying that Ovie has gotten 2 games:

Posted by: grov25 | March 15, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Knuble speaks the truth. Ovie needs to tone it down to be responsible to the fans. We don't want him out for injury or suspension.
However, that was a bad call. It was a 2-minute penalty for any other player. In another game yesterday, Downie slewfooted Crosby and got a 2-minute penalty. The refs need some training, the inconsistency now is a joke.

Posted by: farmgirl19C | March 15, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

So they chose to punish Ovie while exempting Crooke. This NHL is a racket run by Pens fans.

Posted by: Irreverent_inDC | March 15, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Cooke was a shoulder to head hit, which is currently legal, or else they wouldn't be making a rule change to address it this offseason.

A hit from behind into the boards has been illegal for a long time. Was Cooke's hit dirty? Hell yes. Unfortunately, it wasn't illegal.

Posted by: wmsheppa | March 15, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Argue all you want. The PROBLEM is Ovechkin is building a rep around the league. That's NOT what you want from your Capt and MVP. The refs will be watching him and calling it tight, like it or not Caps fans. As the guy above said, if the names were reversed on this hit you'd be screaming for Campbell's head.

Posted by: bundy44 | March 15, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Do you want me to name captains who play as aggressive/physical as Ovi?

Posted by: richmondphil | March 15, 2010 3:44 PM

Aggress/physical is one thing. Not smart is another. Go ahead and name me one captain who's been suspended for two this year.

Posted by: bundy44 | March 15, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Former Flyer Brian Propp reminisces about his days with the "Broad Street Bullies," when opposing players would get the "Philly Flu" on game days and not play. Nowadays, they can whine to Mommy Colin and Daddy Gary and get that mean old player who hit them sent to his corner for two games. Unbelievable.

Posted by: Exile_in_Philly | March 15, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin hasn't been the same since he was initially suspended and was given a talking to by Knuble, BB, et al. It's definitely in his head. He's been less aggressive and pulling up on a lot of guys, which I think has been hurting his play. If Ovie wanted to drill Campbell he could have. Clearly it was an unfortunate play where campbell was losing his balance as Ovie pushed him.

He needs to play how he used to play and let the chips fall. Not sure if Ovie would have made that hit on Jagr if it had been an NHL game. That's the type of energy the Caps need in the playoffs...Those are the plays that change the whole complexion of a game.

Posted by: jb301 | March 15, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

They are targeting Ovie

right, wrong or indifferent

If he feels it's personal, which it very well may be

We run the risk of this guy picking up his stick and going home

If it is personal and it's beginning to look that way, this young man may feel that he can no longer play his game in this league

The NHL needs Ovie more than Ovie needs the NHL

we do know this.... if it was anyone else there would not have been a rejection and suspension.

Bottom line: he could say f you all and go home

Posted by: byrdinthesky | March 15, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I've seen where some have said that ovie needs to reel it in some, to play with less aggresion. I refer to a quote from ex-redskins defensive coordinator, Greg Williams said about the late ,great, Sean Taylor. When asked if he has told Taylor to back off some, to maybe slow it down to avoid penalties. greg williams response was that he had been coaching "30 some years trying to speed up every single player he ever coached. Why in the world would i want to slow one down"? His style makes himn who he is. Thats ovie ! His style is who he is, you gotta take the good with the bad. I think Eric Lindros when i see Ovie sometimes and I think sometimes youth is wasted on the young. Lindros couldn't skate like Ovie and Ovie does seem to have backed off some since the last suspension. He needs to pick his spots alittle better is all i can see. Running a guy you have a beef with is one thing. A push from behind like the one on campbell was just not called for. A stupid, two or four minute penalty. I will say this in closing. i think ovie hurts himself in another area with his style of play. As a world superstar and at the top of his sport like he is, he gets no respect or few calls from the plays where people hit him. I've never seen a clear superstar allowed to be hit the way he gets hit without penalty. I think his style and him dealing out hits makes him less of a protected star that you clearly see with Crosby, or for that matter, most NBA stars live at the foul line because of who they are and their reputation. i think ovie is less protected because he is willing to hit and be hit. we'll be fine and so will Ovie....Don't stop hitting people ovie, it makes you who you are! Rock the RED - F da GWENS !!!

Posted by: klangley69 | March 15, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: klangley69 | March 15, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: klangley69 | March 15, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

I think with all media Knuble's comments were taken out of context. Knuble is one of the key reasons why we are in first place in the conference. He is a calming and veteran force on a team with a lot of imaturity. The Caps will be fine without Ovi for a couple of games. In fact, it will be good for the team as a whole.
Ovi will be back but one thing is for sure, he has to temper some of his aggressiveness and pick his spots. Look at Messier. When he turned it on he turned it on in the big games. Perhaps that is the mentor to emulate.

Posted by: diner99 | March 15, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I THINK FEHR AND ESPECIALLY BIG MOUTH KNUBLE SHOULD SHUT THE "F" UP AND LEAVE ALL COMMENTS TO BB AND GMGM. THAT WAY THEY WILL REMAIN CAPITALS. AS A SEASON TICKET HOLDER I DON'T GO TO THE GAMES TO WATCH KNUBLE OR FHER. I DO GO TO SEE OVECHKIN PLAY THE GAME LIKE GORDIE HOWE USDED TO PLAY IT.I'M 70 years old and saw Rocket RIchard AND Howe play and its a pleasure to see another Great player of that caliber before I croak. I hope I live long enough to see Ovechkin kiss then Hoist Lord Stanley's Trophy over his Beautiful Russian head and thumb his nose at all the POWDERPUFF Players like That Pantywaist Crosby and all the rest of the Canadian players who wished they could play like RICHARD AND HOWE. like CANADIANS USED TO PLAY BUT DON'T ANYMORE.

Posted by: duckyjimpond | March 15, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

MIKE MILBURY SAID THE NHL BETTER GET IT FIGURED OUT CAUSE SOON IT Won't be Hockey anymore it will be SQUASH.

I SAY PUT SKIRTS ON THE TEAMS THE CAPS PLAY SO OVE WILL KNOW HE CAN'T HIT ANYONE. THEY ARE ALL PANTYWAISTS OR IN CROSBY'S CASE WOMEN.Crosby LOOKS GOOD IN A SKIRT He's A CROSS DRESSER ANYHOW.

Posted by: duckyjimpond | March 15, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

as much as i like OV, he is reckless on the ice. The suspension is deserved, and was lucky it wasn't longer. Thats NOT tough hockey, thats reckless and shows little regard for his peers.

Posted by: Rpal | March 15, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

... and duckyjmpond ... i think there are a ton of Canadian players in the NHL right now that would chuckle at your assessment.

Posted by: Rpal | March 15, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I do not understand you Caps fans. Ovechkin is the best player in the world. I have said from the first game I saw him play that he will not last long in this league if he plays with that intensity every game. Knuble was correct - there is a time and place, and if BB cannot get that through to him (OV), perhaps another coach should be found. OV is too great a player to risk serious injury. Oh - and Cooke should have been suspended. We pens fans are embarrased by that play. Players need to respect the game and the players - there is no room for cheap shots. As for OV's suspension, it was due only to media criticism of Campbell's poor judgement in the Cooke incident.

Posted by: pensfan57 | March 16, 2010 7:09 AM | Report abuse

"Ovechkin isn't a dirty player.... But he is reckless and sometimes that can be worse. He didn't need to hit Campbell that way. It was a legal hit - but he didn't need to do it. Knuble is right, he needs to slow down his aggressiveness on certain plays. Granted that's hard to ask for a guy who's always played this way.

Posted by: redskins2448 | March 15, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse"

"He didn't need to do it", would you want him to turn into a Mario Lemieux. That is how he plays.

If the league is going to hand out suspensions for that, then they need to review every NHL game. Pathetic.

Posted by: Barracudas | March 16, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Knuble- why dont you stop whinning like an old man and step up your game. instead of the whole league asking its best player to reign in his game, why not have the rest of the league pick up their energy to match him? novel, i know.

Posted by: daddy_axe | March 16, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse