Kovalchuk Brokers Ovechkin-Malkin Peace

Yet another insightful contribution from Slava Malamud of Sport-Express:

You have to admit it, you are loving all the showmanship the Russian delegation is putting on. From The Handshake to The Gatorade Squirt, the Ovechkin-Malkin kiss-and-make-up melodrama is easily the top story of the All Star weekend. Well, one thing you should probably know is who was behind the truce. It was none other than Ilya Kovalchuk, the noble southern gentleman and the upright family man that he is.

Friday night, during the dinner with other fellow All Stars, Kovalchuk got the two of them together and proposed to finalize the peace talks (which began earlier that day with the handshaking incident) and make it all official. "He poured it for us", said Malkin after the Super Skills last night, talking about a Russian peacemaking ritual, the deep-hidden essence of which you can easily guess.

"Yes, he poured us some water," added Ovechkin, just to clarify the deep-hidden essence of the Russian peacemaking ritual for those of us that are slower on the uptake.

Of course, it was also Kovalchuk's idea to let Malkin dress Alex (and give him a squirt of Gatorade) during the final Breakaway Challenge. Alex wanted to take the props out himself, but Ilya convinced him to use Malkin, thus putting the final touch on his peacemaking efforts. Between his gold-medal goal at the World Championships last year and his mediation of the Ovie-Malkin dispute with the Olympics looming ahead, Kovy is on the fast track to becoming Russia's favorite son right about now.

And speaking of unsung heroes, some kudos are due to the Caps' PR manager Nate Ewell and especially Konstantin Selinevich, Alex's business manager who has really proven he can manage business with the best of them. It was them who came up with the hat-and-glasses idea and it was Selinevich who went shopping for the props Saturday morning. He couldn't find a Russian flag to affix to the headwear but otherwise the plan worked to perfection.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 25, 2009; 9:46 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin's Breakaway Challenge Winner
Next: Ovechkin Sets Caps' ASG Points Mark, Gets Caught Lookin'

Comments

Kovy ATL next captain of Russian Olympic team; Kovy MTL bitter former captain of Russian Olympic team

Posted by: VTBonovox | January 25, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Kovalev cracks me up. He should not be making any kind of comments as he should not even be there. Fixed voting does not make a player a real All Star.

Just keep quiet.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 25, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I burst out laughing last night on Ovie's final shot. Also very cool that Malkin got involved. Still, I still wouldn't mind seeing Ovechkin plaster Malkin against the boards in February.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | January 25, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Kovalev is just bitter. He was told that he would win no matter what because it was in Montreal. Then he lost so he's trying to devalue the contest.

Posted by: goskins1982 | January 25, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

i for one am outraged that they picked Lecavalier to replace Crosby in the starting lineup, Ovechkin deserves it.

Posted by: DER27 | January 25, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Sixth :)

Posted by: ejohnsto | January 25, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

btw, someone should alert Obama, we've got a new power peace broker who would work wonders in the middle east. first, Ovechkin-Malkin, next, Israel-Palestine! pour some water Kovy!

Posted by: DER27 | January 25, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Loved Ovie's sense of humor and he deserved to win the vote... Getzlaf had perhaps the best move of the night, but his demeanor made it seem like he was running late to catch a plane or something. He wouldn't even crack a smile! Gotta at least show some personality.

All that said, I think the shootout (or at least Ovie's participation in it) has run its course. As I watched each competition unfold, inside I was wishing that Ovie was participating...really you could make a case that he could win any of them. So next year, I'd love to see him in the hardest shot or fastest skater. Accuracy might be a tough one...but enough of the shootout. It's like Jordan and the Slam Dunk... you win a couple and then you let other people try it.

Posted by: donknutts | January 25, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I'll run the spin room this weekend...

The caps will have between $10 mil - $15 mil of cap space this offseason (depending on the final cap number). The only top priority is locking up Semin long-term. What are the chances Kovalchuk takes a nice pay cut (in the $6 mil - $8 mil per range) to play on the caps with his russian compatriots? Imagine him on the RW...

Posted by: ThatGuy2 | January 25, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Anyone with a fair mind knows that Kovi was right, OV won for the show not for the skill. By the way, the plan the PR man brought was "almost" perfect, thank goodness they didn't find the Russian flag; it was that Canadian flag that helped him win.

Posted by: opita1 | January 25, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Kovi for the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy.

Posted by: opita1 | January 25, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Slow thoughts this morning, thus the multiple postings.

I would have voted for St. Louie.

And no. I don't dislike OV. I think he is not only a great player but also fun to watch, I am glad he is on our team.

Posted by: opita1 | January 25, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Definitely agree - Kovi for George Mitchel's job. The Ovi/Malk stuff was the highlight of the weekend so far.

And opita1 is right. The Maple Leaf was perfect but if he'd really wanted to bring down the house a Fleur-de-lis (Quebec's flag) would have done it. The rabid Habitants fans would be pushing for Ovi instead of Lecavalier then.

Pierre McGuire had a cool idea - play the Top Prospects game in lieu of the rookie game - I like that. The potential draftees are way intense and it would be a "real" hockey game for the fans to get into.

Posted by: DaleDUI | January 25, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

@ThatGuy2

I have been arguing to get Kovy both here and on Japers for the last 6 months. I have proposed various trades that would fit him under the salary cap, would benefit both teams and have even suggested including Semin in one trade scenario during a discussion about the value of resigning Semin or trading him:

"I think trading Semin, at the end of the day, is the smartest move. Though there is no doubting his skill, I have serious reservations about his intensity, commitment to the US, ability to stay healthy, grittiness and (quite honestly) his psyche. For me, as good as he is when he is healthy and in the right frame of mind, at 5M+ he is not worth the investment.

What this team needs more of – and fast- is toughness. IMO, this team has all the skill it needs but lacks the physicality necessary to go where it wants to go. So, I think the best move would be trading him and ShaMo (who is gone at the end of the year) to a team looking to dump salary and getting in return a player that has grit, determination, mad skills, intensity, toughness and a great relationship with Ovie. Regrettably, the player who fits this profile perfectly (including salary cap considerations, best I can tell) just got the ‘C’ in Atlanta. But I would still push hard to make that happen. Though I am not a frequent poster, I have argued for this before.

Bottom line, I would sacrifice Semin’s skill and baggage for a tougher, meaner and marginally less skilled player. If not Kovalchuk, then someone else."

The general response has been that the Caps need another puck moving defenseman before they need another high priced right wing. I disagree- I think the Caps need toughness and Kovy brings that.

Posted by: ChrisAm | January 25, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I am sick of Kovalev. Like he is acting like a hotshot but realistically should be thankful he is in the weekend at all.

Posted by: trunkenmath | January 25, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

shoot made it at #14. Better late than never.

Don't worry about Alzner he will be back for the stretch run:

Is anyone more excited than me about the beginning of the stretch run?

Looking Ahead: Really really Good News UPDATE!!!

The last 21 games of the season the Caps schedule includes:

13 games against division foe
4 against Atlanta
3 against Tampa
3 against Florida
3 against carolina (2 at home)

2 games against the Maple Leafs

1 against the Bruins (A)
1 against the Penguins (H)
1 against the Flyers (A)
1 against the Predators (A)
1 against the Sabers (H)
1 against the Islanders (A)

Looking good for the stretch run...no rush to rush back Poti. Most surely do not rush Nylander back. Nylander and Jagr = really bad karma.

Posted by: windjammersouth | January 25, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Ovi scored with an opposite handed stick, that's impressive about his shot too. But the hilarity and style factor made him win, and he got my vote for it. Lighten up, in the end hockey is still and always will be a game, what's the use of it if you're not having fun. Especially at something like a skills competition. Ovi deserved the win, and the gatorade squirt was classic.

Posted by: TheVampireCorndog | January 25, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Wahoo! TSN up here just added the Caps/Bruins game on Tuesday instead of showing it on TSN2 (which most can't get).

As an aside, this is a darned congenial board. Nice to find a place where everyone seems happy to just talk hockey.

Go Caps.

Posted by: DaleDUI | January 25, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Did anybody else think that Ovi's sunglasses were fashionable to the point of making fun of Sean Avery?

Also, do you think the deep hidden essence Tarik mentioned in the water pouring ceremony could be some kind of liquor?

Posted by: Tex21 | January 25, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Couple of things: fans are taking the all star game way more seriously than the players. Kovalev is correct, Ovechkin didn't win a skills comp, he won a fashion show. He upped the ante. Good for him. When all is said and done, Getzlaf is the most talented at those maneuvers. St Louis was funny too. I doubt Kovalev is being bitter; he's probably clowning around as well. Semin isn't the top priority in the off season: a viable, #1 stay at home defenseman is, if they haven't gotten one by the trade deadline, not a rookie, not a prospect. A #1. The Caps window for a cup with Semin is this year or next. Otherwise, he's a tradable asset that brings huge return. You cannot keep Semin, Backstrom, Ovechkin and Green indefinitely. If Semin played center, I'd say great. But he's going to get a high dollar contract and there is no way the Caps are going to go the Tampa Bay route. If Semin stayed for 4-5 million, keep him. Otherwise, 7-8 just ain't doable.

Posted by: oo7 | January 25, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

"Update:I'm told Vinny Lecavalier will replace Sidney Crosby in the starting lineup tonight. --Tarik"

F U C K THAT!

Posted by: redskinsux | January 25, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Can this please please please be the last post about this stupid subject?

Posted by: spacecadetkid | January 25, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Kovalchuk, come to the Caps!!

Posted by: sargeantmofo | January 25, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Tex21, Glasses weren't big enough to be Avery-like. And I think you could probably put 2 and 2 together and get vodka.
DaleDUI, I like the idea of the prospects game instead of the YoungStars. No offense, but maybe some of the "old" guys give up their spot in the ASG to some of the YoungStars. The prospects would probably at least be allowed to play defense to make for a more exciting game.
Kovalev was probably being funny, I don't see him being bitter about it.
ThatGuy2, I love Kovy, but it would depend on what we have to give up to get him. Remember, that 10-15 also has to cover RFA contracts (Fehr, Gordo, Juice, and a bunch of Hershey guys that come up to replace the UFAs leaving) as well as sliding Varlamov under if he becomes our new backup.

wendel2, If Collins new contract is that much, he's taking a pay cut. He's at 850 this season.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 25, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

if we cant afford semin, we cant afford kovy. i have no idea what kind of logic you guys are using here. plus, talk about stacking it up with the russkis, that would be 3 out of the top 5 russians playing in the NHL right now on this team. (not to forget the demi-god Federov.)
also, kovalev was not bitter. he was ponting out a very valid point. if anyone needs to lighten up, its you guys who want to come down on us so hard for not voting ovie. we understand its a superficial competition and the winner is arbitrary. are we not allowed to express our dissenting opinion here? (wait, dont answer that..i cant read through all this red here...)

Posted by: richmondphil | January 25, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

also, vinny rules.

though its obvious he got the start for reasons outside of pure hockey talent thus far this season...

Posted by: richmondphil | January 25, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

semin is worth 7 mil easily if he stays healthy.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 25, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Ovechkin didn't win on skill - I have to give that one to Martin St. Louis. He won on style and drama points, and his shots were pretty decent for the most part. I'd like to see him mix style and skill next year - maybe a trick that apes a political or entertainment figure.

Hands down, Ovechkin is easily one of the most colorful and interesting figures in the NHL right now. No shame in that - if we wanted media love for the Caps, we've got it.

Now, let's see if we can actually win ourselves a Cup, which I consider a better prize. Didn't Kovalchuk play for the Caps for a while? I'm no expert on who we should get or capology or anything like that, but remember that we need to resign Backstrom as well once he's in his final year, and I personally would prioritize Backstrom over Semin, although I like them both.

I'd also like to leave some space for the NHL-ready prospects we have coming up through the minors, especially on defense. I realize there won't be room for all of them, and some might get packaged to a city like Toronto that is looking to get young and rebuild, but I think we got an upgrade to the blueline courtesy of Hershey in November, and I'm looking forward to seeing what guys like Alzner and Sloan and Collins do with a full season.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 25, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Kovalchuk is my favorite player, but I'm skeptical about his consistency; and he yet to demonstrate the toughness required under the playoff pressure. During the world championship last year, he scored the most two important goals, but they were the *only* two goals and they didn't come until the last minutes of the final match. No matter how much I would love to see him play on the line with 8 and 91, I think getting him would be a very risky move by the Caps.

I agree with Kovalev about winning the show, but... the whole event is circus. What OV did was classy and in style. Good for him!

"Yes, he poured us some water," added Ovechkin. LOL No comment needed!

Posted by: PavelSTL | January 25, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Tarik - re: the NHL Logo seen on your page. it's been bothering me for awhile but just took the time to sign up. can we get the new (July 2005) logo put up?

Posted by: hockeypope | January 25, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

AHL skills competition on now, NESN and some other channels.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 25, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Bourque and Aucoin in the house.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 25, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Also Giroux and Helmer.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 25, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

jmu - how likely is do you think that the Caps will let Johnson walk and just elevate Varlamov. I think it would be the right move for them (both from a long term development standpoint for Simeon and from a salary cap standpoint) but I'm not sure they'll do it.

btw, if anyone likes to follow the cap situation of teams, this is a great site for that: http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=WAS&season=0809

Posted by: DaleDUI | January 25, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

wtf_e_fehr, Do you know of an online feed for the skills competition besides AHL Live? My guide told me I got it on TV, but the channel isn't showing.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 25, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

@jmu:
Not too many networks carrying the AHL Skills Comp live. I'm going to have to record it off FSN-Pitt and watch it later in the week. The game itself is live tomorrow night on more stations, although not on DC CSN. If you don't have the broadcast list, check this:

Posted by: tess2201 | January 25, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

kovalchuk never played for the caps. he has been on ATL for his whole career. Even with that, he is in the top5 for most goals scored since the lockout. he is by far one of the most skilled players in the league, if he was ever on the caps you would know it for sure. but like i said, we cannot afford him unless ovie is willing to take a pay cut to have one of his friends play here. i wouldnt say he is inconsistent really, but rather he hasnt been producing like he was prior. When (and when, not if) ATL trades him this year or next, it will be an awesome day for that team.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 25, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mauree | January 25, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

jmu

that doesn't seem to work but this one works:

Posted by: mauree | January 25, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Martin St. Louie won the skills hands-down but OVI topped him with SHOWMANSHIP. As for trading SEMIN you people must be NUTS . He has the potential to be almost as good as OVI. HE "SKATE'S LIKE A BUTTERFLY AND STINGS LIKE A BEE". HE HAS MORE MOVES THAN A BARREL-FULL OF MONKEYS. You get rid of Semin and you give up the CUP. He's part of the PLAN.----Patience

Posted by: duckyjimpond | January 25, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

DaleDUI, The goalie situation both here and in Hershey will be interesting next season. JT60 is here another year. Johnny is UFA, while Cheez is RFA. "Iron Curtain" Varlamov is arguably the future franchise goalie. Neuvirth is either trade bait, or the ICs No. 2 for the rest of his career, barring a major fluke. It could go a couple of ways (sorted in the order I think has the likelihood of happening):
1) They let Johnny go and resign Cheez. Either he or the IC come up as JT60's backup.
2) They resign Johnny and Cheez & Cheez and the IC are in Hershey, Neuvirth is trade bait or back in SC.
3) They let Johnny & Cheez go, possibly sign an FA backup for cheap and the IC & Neuvirth are in Hershey.
4) They resign Johnny for a year and let Cheez go & the IC and Neuvirth backstop Hershey.
5) They let Johnny & Cheez go and the IC backs up JT60, Neuvirth & someone in Hershey (Holtby? Dunn? Goepfort?)

Honestly, as much as I think the IC might be ready, he could do with a season as the bona fide #1 goalie at Hershey, getting as many minutes as he wants/can play and making sure any injuries aren't going to linger over his career. He could still use a season with an older goalie mentoring him and as much time with Coach Prior as he can give him. Whether he gets what he needs in DC or in Hershey, is up to GMGM and the coaching staff. The language barrier might increase the likelihood he ends up in DC, unless Kugr, Dovgan, or one of the many prospects over in Russia goes to Hershey. Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 25, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

mauree, you're a life saver! I've been keeping track with theahl.com's "scorecard" but I wanted to watch it.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 25, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Did vinny get more so-called "votes" than Ovi? If not, how could gary b allow him to be a starter over ovi, who has made himself a fan fave even in hab country?

Posted by: kerach | January 25, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

BB with the guest appearance at the AHL skills competition, good ovation.

Sorry jmu_capsgirl, just getting back.
Glad to see you got your feed.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | January 25, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know where the Caps stay when visiting the Bruins? Four Seasons? Ritz? Hoping to get a couple of photos signed!

Thanks.

Posted by: jerry2178 | January 25, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

kerach, I think its more replacing a center with a center.
wtf_e_fehr, its all good. It was actually one of the more boring skills competitions I've seen. The "Future All-Stars" were kind of a joke.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 25, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Ah, Cirque de Soleil. I'm getting Olympic Opening Ceremonies flashbacks.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 25, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't think I've ever felt sorry for Lecavalier, but I do now. Poor guy.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 25, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

@jerry2178 - Personally, if it were me, I'd try and get the photos signed at an official signing event, rather than trying to find the players at their hotel. But that's just me; I tend to not ask for autographs in places where the people doing the signing are just trying to be regular people - you know, eating dinner, having a drink, etc.. They have signing events for stuff like that, or you can sometimes write to the player involved (I'm not sure what address to use, but I'm sure one is out there) and ask for it that way. In that manner, you're being respectful of the player's time by allowing him to do it when he has the opportunity, and not just on some paper napkin at a bar somewhere... Just my .02.

Posted by: irockthered | January 25, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

As for Ovi's win... I voted for him because he had me rolling on the floor laughing my arsenic and old lace off, not because he had a technically beautiful/perfect shot. He is a showman, and a ton of fun to watch. That is why I cast my vote his way. :-)

Posted by: irockthered | January 25, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

I thought we were getting Eddie Olczyk! And I'm thoroughly impressed that it took that much time for a goal.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 25, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I think we should trade everyone so that we can open cap space and bring up the hershey team. Who needs Semin, Green, Nylander, Kovi, Johnson, Fleishman, Fehr, etc. Lets just keep OV and Backstrom.
Anyone who disagrees with me is dumb and stupid.

Posted by: opita1 | January 25, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

@Irockthered - Fair enough.

Unfortunately I am Caps fan in CT and will have my younger cousin with me. We dont get much access to the guys (not that most regular people I do I suppose).

Was planning on catching them getting off the bus from practice - not at the restuarant...

Posted by: jerry2178 | January 25, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

@jmu
I just went back and read all the comments from last night and saw your question about the misconduct penalty on Keith Aucoin. He got clipped near the left eye, I assume by a high stick, I didn't see it happen. No penalty was called initially, so I guess Coiner must have said some choice words that ticked off the ref.

Good Bears game last night. Beagle absolutely destroyed some guy in a fight. Beagle! Who would have guessed he was a fighter? The Bears wore Caps jerseys last night and auctioned them off after the game. Neuvirth, Giroux, Bourque and Mink all sold for over $2000 each! I would have thought Alzner and Varly would be up there too, but no.

Posted by: tess2201 | January 25, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Ovi just used "sick" again to describe the pass from Savard on his goal in the first period. He is going to wear the word out.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | January 25, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Not much posting during the ASG. Here's hoping Ovie puts up a couple more "sick" goals and wins the MVP.

Posted by: cbs75 | January 25, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Lecavelier over Ovechkin. The NHL should be ashamed of themselves.

Posted by: croftonpost | January 25, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

its really not that serious.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 25, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Is Lecavelier a center? If so, that is probably why. I thought that Crosby was a center. Ovi being a winger wouldn't get bumped to a center position. If Lecalelier isn't well then I am at a loss for words.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | January 25, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

vinny is a center.

and a much better player than crosby.

Posted by: richmondphil | January 25, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

tess, Thanks! Was just wondering what had happened.
Lecavalier is a center, which is why he replaced Crosby.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 25, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

@jerry2178 - Fair enough. :-)

Posted by: irockthered | January 25, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

DO THAT IN A GAME OVIE

Posted by: spacecadetkid | January 25, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

That was a sick move by Ovie :)

Posted by: ludeman95 | January 25, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Ovie! That was a great move.

Posted by: ejohnsto | January 25, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

How about the first person to greet Ovie when he got back to the bench? It was definitely Malkin, pretty cool if you ask me. Frankly, I'm glad that they're getting back to being friends, everytime that Caps play the Penguins I always get worried that Ovie is gonna hit Malkin so hard that it'll be like matter and anti-matter and all we'll see is just a crater in the ice.

Posted by: alee06 | January 25, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Great game by Ovie. He played great. I'm so lucky to be a Caps fan and get to watch him 82+ times a year!!!

Posted by: cbs75 | January 25, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Barry Melrose LOVES us. Everytime I see him he's giving the Caps love, I was just watching The Blitz and he said he thinks the Caps will win the Eastern Conference.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 25, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

@spacecadetkid, LOL, that was exactly what I was thinking to myself! :)

Posted by: rachel216 | January 25, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

game MVP must be Kovalev's consolation prize for the trick shoot voting system rigging going haywire. (and is it just me, or his Kovalev an absolute giant whiner?)

Posted by: RedBirdie | January 25, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

What a game. Best All Star contest in must be 15 years. I think I even saw Ovi backchecking in OT during the 4-3. Awesome.

Posted by: DaleDUI | January 25, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm still in shock he actually scored in a shootout. I had to run out for a meeting, so I'll watch it when I get home, but wow.
alee06, I'm with you. I didn't really like that they hated each other, if only because I root for the Russians in world play.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 25, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

It is such a treat to have a superstar we can all root for and be proud of. This town hasn't had that in a loooooooooong time... no matter what the Skins do or Arenas does... or whatever... Ovie is the real deal and when he scored that SO winner... I was so proud... thanks Ted and thanks OVIE!

Posted by: Tikkanen08 | January 25, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

@ Rachel, not sure of that is good or a curse with Melrose. He even thinks it will be us against the Wings in the SC.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 25, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

I was so proud of Ovie in this All Stars game. He is a born leader and star in skills, personality, attitude and everything else that makes one a champion.

I loved his comment in response to Kovy's snyde remark. "As for Kovalev's dismissal of Alex's antics by saying that he won a fashion show, not a skills contest, Ovechkin smiled and replied: "Of course! I love fashion!" " How much cooler and more comfortable in your skin can you get?

And why is everybody quipping about Ovie's breakaway challenge not being as skillful as others'. The guy actually scored a goal--one of the very few scored in this challenge-- while handling props, creating a theatrical character and making a humorous statement. If that's not skill, I don't know what is.

Posted by: caraveli | January 25, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Please don't trade Semin. I just got his home and away jerseys. =(

Ovi is awesome. I'm not quite sure how to take that Crosby was there even if he didn't play. *shrug* No harm, no foul, I guess.

Is it going to be unpatriotic if we root for Team Russia in next year's Olympics? =/

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | January 26, 2009 1:38 AM | Report abuse

A southern gentleman with a knack for brokering peace? Sounds like Kovalchuk is the new Jimmy Carter.

Posted by: P-Mac | January 27, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse