Kozlov Out "A Couple" of Weeks

Viktor Kozlov could miss two weeks with an undisclosed injury, General Manager George McPhee said moments ago. Kozlov appeared to injure his left knee when he was hit along the boards by Rob Davison in the second period of last night's 5-1 win over Vancouver.

"We suspect it will be a couple of weeks," McPhee said. "But we'll know more in a couple of days."

Donald Brashear was hit in the hand with a shot last night, so that's why he did not practice. He's going to be fine, according to Coach Bruce Boudreau. Alexander Semin, meantime, got the day off to rest and recover.

Other notes from this morning's practice:

*Boudreau said don't look too much into the line combos, though he did hint that Chris Clark will likely replace Kozlov on the right side of the top line.

*I asked Ovechkin about the sudden death of Rangers' prospect Alexei Cherepanov yesterday. Ovechkin said he met Cherepanov a few times when he was practicing with Omsk a few years back and Cherepanov was on the organization's junior team.

"It was hard news for me, for all of our four guys," Ovechkin said. "All of my mind was all about him. I was so sad."

"I practiced with him a few times," Ovechkin added. "If it's true that there was no ambulance there, it can't be like this. It's a hard time for us"

*As for where Fedorov will play Thursday in Pittsburgh, Boudreau was elusive on the subject. But it would be surprising if he played anywhere but on 'D', right?

"We didn't have enough forwards to practice," Boudreau said. "We'll talk about whether he'll place defense again. So far it's been an okay thing. He's good at it."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 14, 2008; 12:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fedorov Back Up Front
Next: Caps Close to Decision on Goalie Prospects

Comments

Posted by: JSJorts | October 14, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Get Better Soon Kozlov!!!!

Rub some Robatussin on it!

Posted by: Doctor Wu! | October 14, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

third

Posted by: Anonymous | October 14, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Semin is resting and recovering...from being out late last night, according to someone on the Caps boards who saw him out with Feds and Green.

He deserves it after a monster game last night. As long as he doesn't need to take the day off after every great performance.

I bet feds can drink Semin under the table. And still show up for practice the next morning.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 14, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

"We suspect it will be a couple of weeks," McPhee said. "But we'll know more in a couple of weeks."..... that is comedy.

Posted by: sean | October 14, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

So good to see that some of our moron posters can count.

Here's hoping Kozlov heals quickly, and that Boo doesn't rush him back into the lineup before he's good and ready. (I get the impression Boo has learned his lesson on that point, though.)

So. A couple of weeks, eh? I'm taking that with a grain of salt. I guess that puts Fehr in the lineup as well, or brings Feds back up front and Erskine back into the mix. Guess we'll see Thursday; I bet that's exactly what Boudreau's got on his mind right now.

Posted by: this space fro rent | October 14, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

4th, i'm moving on up. GO CAPS!

pictures from today's practice

Posted by: GoOVcaps | October 14, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

well i waited a bit too long to post, i was 4th when I wrote it lol. hehe oh well

Posted by: GoOVcaps | October 14, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

should have read "we'll know more in a couple of days". my bad.

Posted by: Tarik | October 14, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Chris Bourque keep your cell phone charged.

Posted by: old time hockey | October 14, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

1) Can't see Bourque or any other Hershey player being recalled before Thanksgiving unless several players are injured. The Caps are too close to the salary cap limit to have that kind of flexibility.

Posted by: fauxrumors | October 14, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Tarik-

Thanks for the update on the type-o. Though... It's much more comedic the way you wrote it before hand.

As much as I want to believe GM on this one... Clarkie's was a "upper leg" injury where he was "day-to-day" and "only out a couple weeks..."... We saw how that one turned out.

In the meantime. What's BB gonna do?

Here's what I want to see.

Ovie/Backs/CLARKIE! (back to his 30-goal spot)
Semin/NYLS/Laich
Flash/FEDS/Fehr

Late-season D-Pairings. Seems Poti's the only one who can look solid playing with Schultz.

Reason for Nyls/Feds shift is... Feds seems to be able to make ANYONE around him better, and Semin played just fine with Nyls last night. Let's go ROCK PITT'S SOX!

Posted by: FFS Enough | October 14, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Kozlov has sustained an injury somewhere on his body, it could also be a personal matter, or mental issues. He could be out for as little as one game, and as much as his career.

I will have an update on his status once you see him back on the ice.

-George

Posted by: George McPhee | October 14, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I don't see us making a call up unless Koz is going to be out for a while. Time for Eric Fehr to put up some numbers.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 14, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero, just because I said Semin will hit 70 goals this season after a couple of drinks... does not mean I need to tell the whole world about it.

err... I just did...

Posted by: 828 | October 14, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Good to meet you last night 828. I'm surprised no one has commented on the new Spirit Squad outfits yet...

Posted by: MNMNT | October 14, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Maybe there'll be callups, and maybe there won't. But if I were Chris Bourque, I'd be keeping my cellphone charged and on me at all times.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 14, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

MNMNT,

Have they changed? last I saw they were white shirts with red sleeves and tan pants. Please tell me they have more spirit!

Great feeling winning in that fashion last night. Let's keep it up for Thursdays. Prepare the blog for the trolls!

Posted by: Leeguru | October 14, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

If Kozie's out for a few weeks, then I could see Bourque coming up. I'm assuming they can put him on IR.

Of course, if they need an extra forward they can always use Erksine. (jk).

Posted by: old time hockey | October 14, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Is two weeks long enough to go on LTIR?

Posted by: Stormblue | October 14, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

MNMNT - good to meet you as well. Def need to catch up before the games.

Lee - the Red Rockers aka Spirit Squad have tight black pants on with a tight red shirt... they looked good.

Posted by: 828 | October 14, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Yeah they definitely changed.
They look more like cheerleader tops... just a variation of the caps jersey, super skin tight. and instead of handing out burritos, they were dancing in front of the sections giving out burritos. haha

I thought they looked good.

Posted by: MNMNT | October 14, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero
I heard the section by you guys serenading Luoungo but it kept getting drowned out by the horn guy haha

Posted by: MNMNT | October 14, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah the "Red Rockers" looked good, and were only visible during TV commercial breaks so there should be no frantic outcry's of "OMG They're gonna dance in front of me during play!"

It was tasteful and it gives the interested fan something to check out during breaks in the action. For others, there's always the floating coupon blimp.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 14, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Re: Spirit Squad

funny thing during Saturday's game. During the 2nd intermission, when they're all on the ice for the audience contest, one of them tries to throw a shirt over the boards, not seeing/knowing that the net's there. She picked it up and threw it towards another area, and the net rejected it like Dikembe Motumbo once more.

Combine that with reuniting with Stella Artois, and I thought it was pretty funny.

Posted by: Section 117 | October 14, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

We were serrenading the guy wearing the Luongo t shirt who was carrying the canadian flag bath towell (it wasn't even a real flag). He stood up and was raising his arm, and pointing at the name on the back of his t shirt after Luongo made a nice save. It was 1-1 at this point. We gave him crap after each subsequent goal. It was mostly good natured on both sides.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 14, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I like how they're phasing them in. I wonder if Cassi got cut from the Spirit Squad for giving private lap dances in between periods...

Posted by: MNMNT | October 14, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Storm

Any player on IR counts not to the team's cap for that day. yes, we could get LTIR Kozzy if he is placed on IR, and use that to call someone up.

However, if we just put Kozzy on IR and don't make a call, (leaves us with 1 scratch per game) we can build cap space for Alzner faster, making like 70% of this board very happy.

Posted by: FFS Enough | October 14, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

@old time hockey

I have a question for you in previous thread:

Posted by: need expert opinion | October 14, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Ughhhhh...there's just no good news today.

Posted by: Egon | October 14, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

@FFS: I'd have to see a couple more games, but as much as I like Alzner, I don't want to ruin him by rishing him in too soon. If we have to call someone up, Feds is willing to go with it and Bruce deems it appropriate, I'd be more in favor of calling up Bourque (who is obviously raring to go and ready to kick butt and take names) over Alzner (who by all accounts looks a little shaky). I've no doubt that we'll be calling him up at some point, but why rush it?

Posted by: this space for rent | October 14, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

kozlov sucks for his money.

Posted by: truth be told | October 14, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Camel Toes on the Spirit Squad is not good news?

Posted by: Bob | October 14, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Camel Toes on the Spirit Squad is not good news for ghostbuster loving hockey chicks like myself.

Aren't they known as the ReD R0CkeRZ nowadays?

Posted by: Egon | October 14, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

@Truth be told

There are 33 right wings that make more that Kozlov. There are 64 centers that make more than Kozlov.

Personally I think a guy who was a +28 and put up 56 points does not suck for 2.5 million a year.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 14, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

How about the Red Rocketts?

Posted by: Bob | October 14, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@Egon

But for the Ghostbuster loving hockey chicks, you have the GQ model shots of all the Caps players that go on screen every time we score. See? It balances out!

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 14, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

GQ shots don't do it for me. Pretty boys, blech.

I wish they'd just use the intro from last year.

Posted by: Egon | October 14, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

@Sombrero Guy

There are a lot of guys stealing your fan gimmick nowadays.

Posted by: Egon | October 14, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Clark got 30 goals with OV and Zubrus/Novotny centering.

Hopefully, the first line clicks and the 3rd line doesn't suffer because of the change.

Anyone here feel that...

Fedorov/Jurcina and Eskine scratch and Gordon or Fehr in the lineup is GREATER than Fedorov centering and Erskine/Jurcina and both both Gordon and Fehr as healthy scratch?

The proof is in the pudding thus far. Fedorov is +6 in the 2 games he has playing defense. Jurcina looks pretty nice playing with Fedorov instead of the lumbering slow foot Erskine. Fedorov as a defender gets more ice time and that a good thing for us.

Posted by: JSchon | October 14, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Truth be Told -- you are an idiot

Posted by: JIM | October 14, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon,
I agree completely. Feds should stay on D. That way you have a solid puck mover on all 3 D pairs.

Nylander is a 2nd line center and not a 3rd line center. When Feds gets moved back up to F, he should be centering the line with Flash and Fehr or whoever else.

Posted by: Pat | October 14, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

@ Jschon -- agreed, keep Erksine off the ice, esp. against the skilled and swift Pens who get an inordinate amount of wimpy penalties (read: Crysbaby's diving expertise taught to him by his roommate)

Posted by: JIM | October 14, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Kozlov's career postseason stats:

21 GP 0G 6A 6P -11

Posted by: Section 117 | October 14, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

If Koz is hurt and Clark is taking his spot, why not leave Gordon in the lineup? I think he does more for the team than Fehr. Fehr is probably not going to get PP or PK time. Gordo will definitely get PK time and can win a face off for you. I'm sure he can play on the wing. Of course it would require moving Feds back to center and Erskine off the pine.

Posted by: Phil C. | October 14, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

@Need Expert Opinion,

As a Doctor, I can't say very much on his cause of death. But, that might be because I'm a lawyer and not a doctor.

As a lawyer, I don't know who is to blame, but I'm sure that person should be held be responsible through an expensive civil lawsuit with a large cash payout to his lawyers, er, I mean family.

Sorry, I'm not a doctor, I'm not sure why you thought I was. The Cherepanov death is very sad. But, its not like its the first time seemingly fit elite athletes just dropped. Its happened here a few times as well. I think a professional runner died mid-marathon last year.

Posted by: old time hockey | October 14, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Everyone knows that I'm not a huge Kozlov fan.

I'm one who believes that anyone competent (Fehr, Clark, Gordon, Bouchard) you put on that top line will get similar points.

Clark had better stats on Ovechkin/Zubrus than Kozlov got on the Ovechkin/Backstrom line, not to mention a far inferior lineup from top to bottom.

Kozlov is the beneficiary of being on that line than Ovechkin or Backstrom being on his.

$2.5M isn't a lot of money, comparatively speaking, but there are youngsters that can play on the big team either stuck in Hershey or being scratched that are cheaper.

Kozlov stinks in the playoffs, he flat out terrible. Fehr in the playoffs was impressive in his first taste of NHL playoff action.

I'm not ready to trade Kozlov during the season, but I would'nt be upset. What would upset me is us resigning him to any length contract at any cost.

Posted by: JSchon | October 14, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

the GQ shots cracked me up.

Posted by: MNMNT | October 14, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I think it's time for mandatory heart testing pre-draft and a few times, during mid-season, in their career. I don't think it needs to be done very often, it just needs to be done. At the very minimum, pre-draft.

Or do they already do that? It just seems weird to me that there are so many (granted, I'm talking 5? cases in 10? years, only in pro sports) of these issues. I personally remember hearing the ambulance for an adult league guy who had a heart attack on the next rink over (during one of my practices), and that's stuck with me forever. And then you have Jiri Fischer. And now, Alexei Cherepanov. It seems too much for pure coincidence.

Are they working themselves to death? Is it genetic? I wonder if they'll do an autopsy on Cherepanov...

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | October 14, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon: That'd be me ^^ Proof's in the pudding. I'd like to see how last night's line fares against the Pens, myself, putting Clark up top and Fehr in Clark's slot.

Posted by: this space for rent | October 14, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

JSchon

Clark had 54 points and a -10 rating.
Kozlov had 54 points and a +28 rating.

I'm just saying...

Posted by: Phil C. | October 14, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru
On Frozen Blog has a few pictures of the girls:

Posted by: Girl Watcher | October 14, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Kozlov's injury did NOT occur along the boards....as he dumped the puck in,he was SUBMARINED below the knees by # 4( I just watched the replay of the game on NHL Network.)GMGM should send the tape to the league,as that type of hit has no place in hockey.

Posted by: roccky | October 14, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Jurcina -5
Schultz +5
Heward -2

I'm just saying.

Posted by: JSchon | October 14, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey Phil,

OV was a -19 that season. The defense couldn't keep the puck out of the net and it didn't help that Olie was 13 years past his prime. Its like comparing apples and oranges. I do think that a Coke machine could score 50 with OV-Backs..

Posted by: 94 | October 14, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

@Phil C

If you want to continue the argument that the 2006/07 Washington Capitals are similar to the 2007/08 team... go right ahead.

Posted by: JSchon | October 14, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

If it wasn't bad enough that the same girl kept trying to throw a shirt through the net, I heard one of them, after opening night talking about her shoes with a fellow SQ girl, then said 'why do they play three halves'. Her friend, I guess another spirit squader said, 'because they have to play for like an hour, not like basketball'. Somehow, this placated the first SQ girl and they began talking about a cute top at the store down the street.

And the pants they wear are dark blue. Black wouldn't make sense with the Caps colors being red, white and blue.

I really need to start drinking at games again, maybe I could stand the mindless drones they've hired.

Posted by: 407, row 7 | October 14, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

@Jschon,

Just saying what, that Schultz is the best defensive defensemen?

I think most of us could notch a few assists playing with Alex and Nicky. (Assuming we didn't get killed along the way.) "Here you go Alex... what a move. Thanks for the point!" That said, Kozlovh is good enough to make Alex better. He's a converted center, so he's going to be a better 2-way player than a classic winger like Clark. That let's Alex be more free and his play in the second half of the year really shows it.

On the other hand, if we had a true scoring threat on RW, then maybe Alex wouldn't get double teamed so much.

Posted by: old time hockey | October 14, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"maybe I could stand the mindless drones they've hired."

They don't have to be smart, just pretty.

Posted by: Girl Watcher | October 14, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Shultz needs to go.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 14, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

@Phil C

Clark and Kozlov both had 54 points... but lets examine those points.

Clark 30 goals
Kozlov 16 goals

Goals are much harder to get compared to assists. You can get an assist by getting the way of a pass that gets to another player who passes it to the goal scorer.

Clark PPP 16 + 4 SHG
Kozlov PPP 11 + zippy SHP

Clark scored 30 goals on 163 SOG = 18.3%
Kozlov scored 16 goals on 219 SOG = 7.3%

Posted by: JSchon | October 14, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@Girl Watcher

You forgot to add "easy" and "good in bed".

Posted by: Playa | October 14, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

i liked Feds on D, but he took some big hits out there. he's not getting any younger and not that big to start with. and besides, its not like the canucks had any offense to speak of and they dont have a big rig causing trouble. i think he's a good guy to have back there against more finese teams (pittsburgh) and erskine in for more rugged teams (philly).

Posted by: Cap Fan 1 | October 14, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

@Playa
If that's the criteria, where do I pick up my uniform. ;-)

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 14, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Geez, can't you guys be a little more original if you're going to be idiots? That joke's about as dead as the Bryzgalov horse.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | October 14, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I've got to agree with Jschon on this one. I've been vocal in my hate of kozlov.

Putting Clark up there will not 'hurt' the team. Yeah Clark scored 30 and had a +/- of -10 or whatever when he was on the same line as Ovi. But you can not compare Kozlov's +/- of +20something because we had changed coaches. HUGE difference. We became more responsible defensively. Everyone's +/- went up.

These next few weeks we'll see if anyone can put up those #'s or if it is specific to just Kozlov. If Clark or Fehr or whoever plays with Ovi sucks, then this means Kozlov is the missing link for this team and we need to sign him for a dozen years.

And to all the Schultz haters, let's remember the guy's only 22 and still learning the position. We all know that Dmen reach there peak around the mid to late 20's. He's still young. We have to be patient with him. Yeah he's massive and doesn't use his size, but give him time. He'll be fine. We shouldn't lynch him already.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | October 14, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Clark and Kozlov play different games. Clark scored at least 8 goals that just bouced off him and into the net. Kozlov is a better passer than Clark. I'm not saying Clark wouldn't have success on the top line, I just don't think Kozlov is over paid.

I also agree that Fehr seemed to outplay Kozlov in the playoffs.

If we Keep fedorov on D to keep up with the Pens speed, Gordon and Fehr would both get a shot at a forward slot. I'm fine with that.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 14, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

If you like the Brashear/Steckel/Bradley line, and understand their contribution to the team as a whole, I don't see how you can dislike Kozlov.

Koz plays like a mini-4th line all by himself. More than Ovie, he doesn't get knocked off the puck. The man is a monster (maybe due to growing up in such close proximity to Chernobyl). His ability to move freely and, as I call it, self-cycle along the boards creates space and opportunities for 8 and 19. It's those same opportunities he created for Semin last year when he C'd the 2nd line for a few games.

The top line is most successful when space is created for Ovechkin. That's done by Backstrom's beautiful saucer passes, and by Kozlov cycling down low all by himself. You watch him next time he's on the ice. Take a look at how many times a second guy has to head in to take care of Kozy, which opens up shots from the point or passes across to wide-open Ovackstroms.

Posted by: FFS Enough | October 14, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see Fehr, Flash and Fed together so they could be known as FF ov line.for all the bloggers.....Just having some fun

Posted by: Rich C | October 14, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

For Anonymous @ 1:13 PM today or anyone else who knows:

What thread on the Caps board did someone say they saw some of the guys out last night?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 14, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I hope the donald's hand will be healthy enough for him to put a beating on goddard thursday night

Posted by: stevo | October 14, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

@FFS...

OV had pretty good seasons in 2005 and 2006. Both seasons getting passes from Zubrus/Novotny/Halpern and winged by Clark and Pettinger.

Lets not give Kozlov the credit for OV. Thats nonsense.

Boudreau and Backstrom are far more deserving of praise before Koz.

Posted by: JSchon | October 14, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

To Follow up on Clark on the top line:

The style of play between the two is completely different. Clark will go sit down by the net, do the dirty work in the corners and he reaps the rewards of bombs from ovechkin. But there's two distinct styles here that I hope Ovackstrom can handle. Clark is not going to create as much space for both of them. But they will benefit from Clark sitting infront of the net, harassing the goalie.

When Clark was successful, they were centered by Zuby who was a big-physical presence much like Kozy. I hope the first line can function without a big physical presence.

Don't get me wrong. I've wanted to see a healthy Clark back on the top line for a while, with a Semin/Feds/Koz 2nd line (my god that would be amazing). I actually think Semin could score 65 with feds/koz paired with him.

Posted by: FFS Enough | October 14, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Clark's career playoff stats:

26g 3g 3g 6p 0 +/-

Posted by: Section 117 | October 14, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

To those who sent links for the REd Rockettes or whatever: Thank you! Worse than camel toe, I think that was Moose Knuckle.

I agree with those that say clark is better with OV. He isn't afraid to dig in the corners, and he will camp in front of the net. Of course OV is going to bounce some shots off of him and in; how many times has Kozlov done that? Kozlov has a purpose, hustling isn't really one of them

Posted by: Leeguru | October 14, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

@Section 117

Not bad for guy who turned into a scoring threat in 2006... and didnt play in the playoffs after 2006...

While Kozlov has always been deemed a skilled offensive player since he entered the league.

Posted by: JSchon | October 14, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

JSchon

Discounting Kozlov's value just because you don't see it in a stat line is as much nonsense as trying to give Koz credit for Ovie's breakout (which I was in no way doing).

This past season we saw a clear formula that works for him. Good playmaker and a physical guy who can create space. For 05-07, we saw Zuby fill the role of semi-decent playmaker AND physical presence. It's part of the reason why Random-winger theory worked out for Ovie's production. The building blocks of last year's formula were there. But I believe the key is after the trade deadline in 06-07 when Zuby got sent away. Ovie lost the physical presence on his line and production dropped SEVERELY.

This past year, he had a very good playmaker and an upgrade at the physical presence part of the formula. The result, everyone's numbers were spectacular.

Posted by: FFS Enough | October 14, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

OK, unless Koz is worse off than we think, in a couple of weeks he'll be back on the first line (where he belongs) with Ov and Nicky.

Clarkie is a trooper, but I'd prefer to see Koz drawing guys to him than Clarkie trying to keep from getting brained by an Ov slapshot. Koz creates space for Ov to operate.

Posted by: Steve R | October 14, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm not discounting Kozlov's contribution to the team. I only make the case that not just Kozlov can make an effective 1st line.

I do have issue with Kozlov's playoff record. Its abysmal.

I will have issue if we resign him.

Posted by: JSchon | October 14, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I've gotta head home for the day. I want to continue the Kozy discussion tomorrow because I feel it's an important one. Catch you all tomorrow.

Posted by: FFS Enough | October 14, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Time for Fehr to put Brash in the press box for the rest of the season. This is the chance to start his NHL career if he takes to it.

We don't need an enforcer of Brash's caliber. If it comes to it, there are other on the team that can fight or retaliate with a powerful hit or goal. Who is the enforcer on the Red Wings?

Posted by: Caps 423 | October 14, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

@Caps 423

I disagree with you on Brash. He's also a pretty solid forchecker. he does more than just fight.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | October 14, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

@Caps423

I almost agree with you, but Fehr has never been given the chance to play on a true scoring line. He is a natural goal scoring RW, he isnt a grinder, he isnt a energy guy... naturally anyway...

He/We/the Caps need to find out whether or not one top 50 prospects in the NHL is truly one of the top 50 prospects in the NHL. You arent going to find that out putting him a grinding line playing 12 minutes a game.

Posted by: JSchon | October 14, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Koz has to be replaced with a strong wing who can create space, or you have to toss the formula out the window and start a-new.

The other formula that may work is 8/19/28. But where does that leave the 2nd (and subsequently 3rd) lines.

As much as we don't want to compare Kozlov v. Clark across seasons and coaches, I don't think it's fair to compare Kozlov's playoff production on other teams vs. this one. In 1/3 of Kozy's playoff games in his career, he he scored 1/2 of his playoff points last season for the Caps. He was fantastic in games 4-6. The atrocious goalie interference call on him in game four not only cost us the game but I would point to that moment more than any in the PHI series as a reason this team got knocked out last year. Do we want to discount Koz work in games 2 and 3, cause the whole team was god awful in those.

Posted by: FFS Enough | October 14, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Fehr has more goals than Kozlov.

We need to stop making excuses for players who are not effective. Kozlov has been a negative playoff performer for his entire career, those facts are true and undeniable.

Posted by: JSchon | October 14, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Fehr has more playoff goals than Kozlov... my mistake

Posted by: Anonymous | October 14, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

During our first two games, Brashear's line was the best line on the ice. Doesn't help Fehr, either, that I think he's a RW, and Brashear a LW.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | October 14, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Comparing Koz and Clark is like comparing Green and Mo - they are different types of players who bring different things to the team.

RE: All the Red Rockers comments, this is exactly why we didn't need them. I go to games for the hockey - not T&A.

Posted by: Boo! | October 14, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Boo!

I didnt even notice the girls...

Posted by: JSchon | October 14, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

JSchon:
:-P

Posted by: Boo! | October 14, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

@old time hockey

Sorry, somebody here was a doctor, I thought it was you for some reason

Posted by: Need Expert Opinion | October 14, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Thanks for the question to Ovechkin, appreciate it.

Posted by: Dave King | October 14, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JSchon | October 14, 2008 4:51 PM

__________________________________________

Yeah, but what level of skill? Taking a look at the class of '93, would he still be picked 6th? Not in a million. Always has underachieved, always will.

Posted by: Section 117 | October 14, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Re: Red Rockers and GQ shots ...

Y'all guys have your chicks in tight shirts and tighter (too-tight) trousers to ogle. I think you can put up with the hockey players dressed to kill for their intros, thanks. That is some really good photography - lighting, cameraa angles, etc. - there!

Posted by: i rock the red | October 14, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

@Section 117

Not exactly sure who's "side" you're defending?

I'm in the camp of "Kozlov is overrated and is lousy in crunch time".

If you're in that camp then we agree.

Posted by: JSchon | October 14, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

JSchon,

Sorry, I missed the fall meeting of our club ;)

Posted by: Section 117 | October 14, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo! -- the RedRockers were fairly innocuous. I am not into fairly young girls bouncing around the stands (they looked high school age to me) and bobbing their hair for the camera. I do not need underage valgals to get me geared up for games. I watch the Caps for that. Oh, and the kiss cam shot on the Blackhawks bench, now that rocked the red!

Posted by: JIM | October 14, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

My thanks to the Flyers for softening up the Penguins a bit for us, but not leaving them hungry.

Posted by: Caps 423 | October 15, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

@JIM: The KissCam shot of the Blackhawks ... oh my God that was funny. XD Evil, but funny. Whoever was doing the KissCam Saturday night did it proud. :)

Posted by: this space for rent | October 15, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

@This space for rent

The "kiss cam" "2 guys in the opposing jersey" shot is old. Aside from the weird homophobia that it seems to invoke, its kind of dull. Its mildly more amusing when its two players rather than two guys in the audience, but its rather tiresome.

I generally dislike the kiss cam. Although I remember one last season or the one before where they shot a couple who wouldn't do it and they kept going back to them. The guy was then seen mouthing the words "Its my mom" Amusing, but only slightly.

Posted by: old time hockey | October 15, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

The autopsy results on Cherepanov showed that he had a heart condition. His heart was 3 times the normal size! He should not have been allowed to play professional sports.

Here's a Wikipedia entry describing what it turned he had:

Posted by: ranndino | October 15, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse