Kozlov set to return

Based on this morning's practice and Bruce Boudreau's press conference, it looks like veteran winger Viktor Kozlov will return tomorrow against Atlanta. Kozlov, who has missed nine games with a groin muscle pull, will likely go back on the first line with Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom, Boudreau said.

I'll have more after practice.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 25, 2009; 11:44 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List
Next: Boudreau on Kozlov: 'He's that round peg in that round hole'

Comments

Thank God!

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | February 25, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Good news.

Is Neuvirth gonna get the start in net? I hope so.

Posted by: ranndino | February 25, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

over/under on how long the groin holds up with 5 of the next 6 at home?

Posted by: Section117 | February 25, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Excellent!

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | February 25, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Man Section117, you are just a ray of sunshime now aren't you?!

Posted by: PhilR | February 25, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Man Section117, you are just a ray of sunshime now aren't you?!

Posted by: PhilR | February 25, 2009 12:02 PM

Sometimes you just gotta laugh...

Posted by: Section117 | February 25, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Caps1Fan | February 25, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I have a question for those on the board that understand the salary cap and collective bargaining agreement. Does the NHL agreement work like baseball in that we could trade Nylander (or anyone) and agree to pick up part of his salary even after he leaves, and have that still count against our cap even though he is no longer on the roster? Because he'd be a more attractive trade option if we said we would still pick up $1 million or $1.5 million of his salary for the rest of the contract.

Posted by: jhamond1 | February 25, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

@callejo from previous thread

jason doig a great defenseman?

that made me laugh, thank you

Posted by: _stevo | February 25, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

@Caps1Fan-

I'll be at the cocktail party tonight

Posted by: FedorovCrunch | February 25, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Thank God!

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | February 25, 2009 11:50 AM

Could not agree more.

Too many wasted opportunities last night. I had the feeling that after those short-handed breakaways led to 0 goals the Caps were in trouble.

Philly is a super tough team and they are the only team that really scares me from the East.

Posted by: CapManJ | February 25, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

@FedorovCrunch
Me too. But I mean what players will be there.

Posted by: Caps1Fan | February 25, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

To: Anyone in attendance last night

What was the Philthy fan turnout like?

Seemed to hear quite a bit of cheers whenever the Flyers scored on the tube.

Posted by: CapManJ | February 25, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

@ CapManJ

There was almost no one in Sec. 400 that I noticed, but there was a large contingent of them to my left (420s-430s) that kept starting Let's Go Flyer's (Flyer's Suck) chants. But yeah, the arena never got quite silent.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | February 25, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

@Caps1Fan-

Sorry, I meant to continue that thought, but apparently I didn't. I was curious as to which players will be there, too... I sent an email to Kim Frank, who is running the event. Haven't heard anything back yet, though. She probably won't say.

Posted by: FedorovCrunch | February 25, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Flyers*, my bad.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | February 25, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

CapManJ, There were plenty of Philly fans at the booth last night, but -nothing- like the takeovers of years past. I'd say they're in 3rd place for this month, behind RedWings and Canadiens fans who were more numerous, and louder per capita.

Posted by: redlineblue | February 25, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

@CapManJ

Not as bad as last year. There were still plenty of them there though. For the most part the ones behind us were decent even commenting on good plays we made.

I have come to realize the last couple of years philly fans, while bad, aren't as bad as Pittsburgh fans. IMO anyway

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | February 25, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

The Flyers fans were as numerous and as obnoxious as in the past. In section 400 last night there was one in particular that typified the kind you just have to hate. It made the loss that much more painful

Posted by: rew1000 | February 25, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

FINALLY!! BYE BYE Nylander, please take your spot on the bench as a healthy scratch now!

Posted by: Skins28 | February 25, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

jhamond1:

I think if the Caps could put Nyls on wavers, and then brought him back up on re-entry wavers, if another team picked him up, they'd be on hook for half his salary, both money-wise and on the cap. And that's half of his almost 5M, prorated the rest of this season, but he has two more years on the contract, so it would be a 2.5M hit. So it's a bad option.

But anyway, Nylander has a NMC that prevents Caps from putting him on wavers.

Either the Caps need to find a way to deal him to a team (and give up something not insignificant to sweeten the salary dump).. or buy him out.. but buying him out only makes sense in summer of 2010, because then I think he will have just 3M in remaining salary, resulting in a cap hit of 2/3 of said salary, spread over twice the remaining years, so a cap hit of 1M for two years, which is decent I guess. If they were to buy him out this summer, they'd be on the hook for something like 1.3M for four years..

Posted by: VladG | February 25, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Any chance we recall Alzner to replace Schultz in the lineup, I cant take much more of this guy..

Posted by: Skins28 | February 25, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Great News!
But you have to give up for Nyls. He worked hard in the corners (not usually his best thing) and was very responsible defensively. Quite a few of the calls against us were bogus. Theo's penalty for falling down when someone ran into him. Semin's Cross-Check wasn't and Steckel is fighting for the puck moving his feet and is called because the ref had the wrong angle. Not to mention all the calls we don't get. Yes we need to stay out of the box but the refs need to be better. Any word on Pothier? It would be ironic if returned to the line up against boston and cleaned Lucic's clock. Pothier would give us another puck moving defenseman and allow us to trade some of our non performers!

Posted by: psugolf | February 25, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

The deal we made with the Rangers and Jager cannot be made again as far as I can tell. That would be an attempt to get around the CBA, and the union was having nothing to do with that. That specific deal was grandfathered in as well as several others that would not be deemed in compliance.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 25, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Kozlov!
Ever since he scored that game-winning shootout goal last season, anytime he gets a point, it is extremely likely the Caps will win. Extremely. We've only lost like twice in that scenario.

Welcome back!

Posted by: kozlovismyhero | February 25, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

The penalty against Theo for roughing was called because when Jose rolled over, his blocker or stick hit the side of Hartnell's head. Hartnell then gave an academy award winning performance reflecting severe pain and anguish from the blow to his helmet!

Posted by: rew1000 | February 25, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skins28 | February 25, 2009 12:30 PM
__________________________________

YES! Schultz looked brain-dead last night. How can such a big guy be such a non-factor on the ice?!
If only there was some way to unload Nylander, Schultz, and Mo... C'mon GMGM, March 4th is approaching!

Posted by: tURBO8 | February 25, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@rew1000

Then promptly got up and skated off as if nothing was the matter

nothing but utter hatred for that guy and his Ogie Oglethorp haircut.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | February 25, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

jhamond,
no, can't do a "jagr" under the new NHL CBA.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | February 25, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

My My, how separation makes the heart grow fonder. Seriously, with the way so many bashed Kozlov last year (and into this year) who would have thought everyone would be so excited to see him back.

Posted by: superpaqman | February 25, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Finally.

As much as Theo have improved over the second half of the season. I really wanted to see Neuvirth in goal last night.
What better way to see his skill than against a fierce rival? JMO

Posted by: bajgirl | February 25, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Caps1Fan:
"Any inside info on the Caps attendees at the Hockey and Heels cocktail party tonight?"

Hopefully no one good, because it is annual tradition to trade one or two of them the next day.

Posted by: Boo- | February 25, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"jhamond,
no, can't do a "jagr" under the new NHL CBA"

But you can waive him, then have him get reclaimed on recall waivers for 1/2 price...

Posted by: Steve_R | February 25, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Completely unrelated to Kozlov

but the ice looked horrid last night. I was at home watching and there was one play in the 3rd period where I think Gagne dumped the puck down the ice and it bounced from the red line all the way down to the caps zone.

You could tell how bad it was because both teams were having trouble pulling up with the puck, it would sit and not move.

Terrible..wait till April and May when its actually warm outside

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | February 25, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Skins28

Everyone here hates Nylander. I'm not a big fan of him either - at least not this year. But let's look at facts. Compare Nylander to Kozlov who plays a similar role.

Both have similar TOI - 14:30 and 15:50 (N vs K). Both have 20 assists. Koz has 4 more goals at 11. Kos' +/- is -3 while Nyls is +3. Koz has 10 PIMs to Nyls 30, but Feds has 30 and Backstrom, Clark, Bradley and Steckel all have 30-34 PIMs so he's not excessive.

So why do we hate him so much? Just the fact that he's expensive, underproducing for the bucks, and he's preventing us from getting Alzner up full-time.

At the time, though, it was a great deal. He had 79 points in 05-06. Had 83 in 06-07. Last year he was hurt with half the season and had 37 points (on target for 74 points). Everyone here was singing his praises - well, almost everyone.

Still, we don't have to be so vitriolic about him. If he can solve whatever issue he has, we'll be singing the Nylander psalms again.

There's a lot of issues to be fixed on this team. The biggest one I can think of is our tendency to take the foot off the accellerator. We played a brilliant 1st period. Then we stopped. Why the hell can't we play a full 60 minutes?

Posted by: Greg S. | February 25, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

@Boo-
But wasn't it Brooks and Nick last year? They're still very much around. Unless you meant the hockey 101 thing that I didn't go to that involved Schultz and Neuvirth.

Posted by: Caps1Fan | February 25, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

For all you stats only guys. Match the stats with a player

G A Pts +/- PIMS

7 20 27 3 30
6 18 24 11 30
9 11 20 11 18
11 20 31 -3 10

Federov
Fehr
Kozlov
Nylander

Now compare their salaries. How does Des and Nyls compare?

Posted by: puckman | February 25, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I meant to type "How does Feds and Nyls compare to each other?"

Posted by: puckman | February 25, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I meant to type "How does Feds and Nyls compare to each other?"

Posted by: puckman | February 25, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Caps1Fan:
Yes they were, but so what Petti and ... who else left after that? Anyway, my point was not that they ALL leave, but one or two certainly do. (BTW, I was just trying to be funny.)

Posted by: Boo- | February 25, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Sorry - so WAS Petti ...

Posted by: Boo- | February 25, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

@Boo-
Haha no I got the humor, I understand. I think I would just cry that I spent money to go to it if Schultz walked through the door. Ugh.

Posted by: Caps1Fan | February 25, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse