Beech Claimed and A.M. Skate Notes

The Caps have claimed center Kris Beech off waivers from the Canucks, I'm told, with the intention of sending him back through waivers and then to Hershey. From what I can tell, this move is meant to bolster the Bears' lineup.

Washington's first round draft pick in 1999, Beech was waived by Columbus earlier this month, then was claimed two weeks ago by Vancouver, where the 26-year-old played four games before being cut loose this week.

Update:Coach Bruce Boudreau said the forward combinations will be the same but defenseman Jeff Schultz is expected to be scratched tonight. So if Shaone Morrisonn (bruised foot) plays, and he said he hopes to, the pairings will look like this:

Morrisonn-Green
Poti-Jurcina
Erskine-Eminger

"Emmy is playing pretty good and Schultzie looks a little tired right now," Boudreau said. "When he's tired he plays different than when he's on top of his game. And I don't want to penalize the guys who are playing good. So it's also an accountability type thing."

"It doesn't hurt that Steve Eminger is from Toronto," he added. "We have seven 'D' now, and he's not the easy out anymore."

Here are a few other tidbits from the morning skate:

*Boudreau, who is making his NHL coaching debut in his home town tonight, said he went to bed early last night rather than catching up with old friends. He asked the players to do the same.

"I blew everybody off yesterday," he said. "This is a big game for us. I was in bed at 8:30. There were so many things I could have done. There were so many people I could have seen. But I didn't want to overextend myself. How can I ask the players to rest up if I don't do the same?"

"Today is a business day."

Boudreau added: "This will probably be the biggest thrill I've ever had."

*Olie Kolzig is expected to start, but he did not skate this morning. (It was an optional practice.)

*Enforcer Donald Brashear tried out the type of skates Alex Ovechkin wears. But Brashear didn't stop there. He also put on a smoked visor like Ovechkin's for practice. It got some laughs from his teammates -- which is exactly what he was hoping for.

"It's my Ovechkin impression," Brashear said. "We're having some fun, relaxing. Sometimes you have a tendency to get a little tight here. As much as you want to be prepared for the game, you want to stay relaxed. And if you're tight, that's not good."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 23, 2008; 12:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Backstrom had a Headache; Mo Might Play; Olie to Start
Next: Caps Get Some Love

Comments

Now the evil-empire is complete...

Posted by: Kris | January 23, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure this is all part of some grand scheme to.... Well... Hmmmm

Beats me. Keep him out of a Caps sweater and I'll be happy.

If I remember correctly, they declined to offer him a contract over the summer, so they've given up nothing and received nothing. Perhaps it was a move to shore up the ranks in Hershey what with all the injury call-ups to the Caps and injuries to the Bears themselves.

Posted by: HolyOlie | January 23, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Holy Mother of God! Kris Beech? :)How about Novotny? Remember him?

Posted by: Finn | January 23, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

WHY????????

Posted by: jak | January 23, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Novotny is with Columbus and doing alright. Started the season really well but has slowed a bit.

Posted by: parkerhere | January 23, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Ok that's weird...we had the oppurtunity to give him a contract this summer but decided not too and now we pick him up off of waivers?!?!? I wonder what's up with that?

Posted by: k | January 23, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Kris Beech is not cracking the line-up anytime soon-I agree with HolyOlie that this could be just a Hershey thing..

Posted by: dave | January 23, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Is this a joke?

Posted by: Jordana | January 23, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Morrisson-Green

Ahhh... All is as it should be.

The E-E pairing still frightens me a bit, but you work with what you've got I suppose.

Posted by: HolyOlie | January 23, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Um...why?

Posted by: katzistan | January 23, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

maybe they think that beech can thrive under BB the same way a lot of our players have.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

It's like whack-a-mole with this guy. Get rid of him and he just keeps popping back up.

Posted by: Jordan | January 23, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

like a bad penny....

Agreed that its just to help out Hershey

Posted by: Sombrero guy | January 23, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Funny analogy Jordan!!!

Posted by: K | January 23, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

My guess, Beech is a known quantity and viewed as an asset...for the Bears. Likely to allow for easier call-ups for players with more upside.

Posted by: geauxcaps | January 23, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

As for Beech, in the couple games I saw him play for Columbus he was great. He had 3 assists in one and a goal and a helper in the other. Obviously, he posted those numbers and sat on his laurels.

Posted by: parkerhere | January 23, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Tarik mentioned that Beech would be sent to Hershey right away. But still, it is pretty funny :)

Posted by: Finn | January 23, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Is it possible that BB knows something about him that we don't?

Posted by: K | January 23, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Bouds is keeping the D men fresh with Schultzy banged up - is Emi playing his way back to the top 6?

At least Beech is a known quantity and was cheap. How's that for a resounding endorsement>?

Posted by: Shaggy | January 23, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Crap, does that mean we now intend to trade for Jagr?

Posted by: Brad | January 23, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Guy has to feel pretty bad. First round pick, then this year he plays for two teams and then ends up on the A(hl)-team.

Posted by: Jordan | January 23, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

It's been so long and he did so little to emblazon himself on my memory...

Was Beech a center? They could also be stocking up Hershey to send some new talent our way.

Posted by: HolyOlie | January 23, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Beech is really good at sharpening skates and taping sticks.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 23, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

"Is it possible that BB knows something about him that we don't?" - posted by K.

IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Posted by: Opita | January 23, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

He's a center.

Posted by: erika | January 23, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"jesus christ, not again... someone make it stop..."

Posted by: chris beech | January 23, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Peering into the mind of GMGM.

Bryzgalov? Nah, pass.
Recchi? *yawn*
Beech? Holy crap! The Bears need a 3rd line center! Where do I sign?

Posted by: Yitzhak | January 23, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Hah, Brash playing Ovy and Coach Bruce going to bed before sunset. Classic.

Posted by: Jordan | January 23, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Yuck.

Posted by: old time hockey | January 23, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@opita

You are WRONG!!! As much as I hate to admit it, there is a SLIGHT possibility that he might know something that we don't know.

Posted by: Joe | January 23, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

*reads Tarik's update and laughs*

This team has more character than a Robert Altman movie. I love it.

Posted by: HolyOlie | January 23, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Eminger suks, hope he doesn't cost us the game tonight. The Beech is back again.

Posted by: Bob | January 23, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Yitzhak,
LOL

Posted by: Finn | January 23, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Can someone PLEASE explain the logic to me as to why it was a good move to pick up Beech? I'm really at a loss for this one.

Posted by: SLM | January 23, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

According to scouting, he's a reserve centerman that makes his linemates look good with his creativity.

Let's see if he is hungry enough to work at it. Meanwhile, Hershey here he comes. At 585K a year, he's not a real hit on the salary line. He is UFA this summer.

Posted by: Greg S. | January 23, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@ Yitzhak: Well played.

Posted by: SLM | January 23, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

The rebuild must be over in Hershey now!

Posted by: OldChelsea | January 23, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Reading about what Brash did today is hilarious! I love this team more and more every day...it also doesn't hurt to have hope again....Thanks Tarik for the updates!

Posted by: Unitedfan | January 23, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Its a longterm move. Beech is eventually going to join Hanlon as one of Caps' top talent scouts. Its time to take our scouting to another level.

Heh, anyway -- sounds like the Caps are gearing up for a big battle, and the Leafs are impossible to gauge. I don't see how they are going to stop Backstrom's line, though. Let's just avoid too many stupid penalties.

Posted by: Vlad | January 23, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I don't see Beech getting up the Caps anytime soon, if so, we could be in for a whirl of trouble.

Eminger has actually played pretty well. In the Pittsburgh game he cleared a loose puck in front of the net that was bound to go past Olie. Give him credit where credit is due, he's making the most of his playing time out there.

Posted by: G-Rub | January 23, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

@ Finn and SLM

Thank you kind sirs (or madams).

I know I need to get over it, but I still have nice dreams of Bryz in a Caps uniform, only to turn to nightmares when his head morphs into Kolzig's.

Posted by: Yitzhak | January 23, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Funny thing is, when Vancouver claimed Beech of waivers a couple weeks ago I saw an interview where he mentioned how excited he was to play for the Canucks (since he is from BC).
Guy can't stick anywhere for too long but somehow he keeps ending up here.
As long as it's in the AHL, no problems.

Posted by: Al | January 23, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Beech is back again? Funky. I hope it works out for him with the Bears.

Posted by: EricS | January 23, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Kris Beech, really? Cue the Budweiser commercial *Dude* Wow, that one caught me a little off guard.

Can't wait for the game tonight. The whole management change in Toronto has me a little nervous, but I have faith that our guys will be ready.

Maybe we will come out on fire like Montreal did last night. Glad we don't play that team until after the All Star Break.

I had hoped that the All Star line-up would be shuffled a little. Was actually looking forward to the possibility of Ovie and Geno skating on the same line.

Posted by: Kim | January 23, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

After shaking-up management, who thinks the Buds are going to come out like gangbusters tonight?

Posted by: trap game | January 23, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind the Caps dropping one of these games, maybe the one in DC.

Lets come out of the break with something immediate to shoot for.

Either way, we are positioned to be in a good place coming out of the break.

I prefer underdog myself...

Posted by: austinsteve | January 23, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Beech played well when he was in Hershey before. And I think that's where he belongs, the minors. He just can't cut it in the NHL but could have a decent career if he stays in the AHL long term.

Posted by: Tess | January 23, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Life's a Beech, and then you end up in the AHL

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | January 23, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see video and or photos of Brash doing his OV impression

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | January 23, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

You know I kinda think that Olie should have been skating. I'm a little torn b/c on the one hand he's older so he does need to rest (although he's really not THAT old) but on the other his play is just so crappy that he should practice and get his game back!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

"We don't necessarily want to go into the All-Star break in #1 position in the Division. Too many games left." Huh? Here's a strategy to consider... get on top, put your foot on the throat of the opponent, and let the rest of the Division look up at the Caps backside for a while. I don't care how many games are left... 2 points in the first game of the season count the same as 2 points in the last game of the season.

Get over missing out on Recchi... in the last 4 games he has 1 point (an assist), 2 SOG and is minus 8. The anticipated bump he got from changing teams is long gone...

Although it looks like Bryzgalov is probably another story. I will continue to believe the club passed to keep 37 happy. A rationale decision but not a great one IMO.

Posted by: Dave in Alexandria | January 23, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I remember Kris Beech winning some key defensive zone faceoffs for the Capitals last year.

Mamma told me if I didn't have anything nice to say, I shouldn't say anything at all.

Posted by: John in Mpls | January 23, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

We have sunk to an all-time low bringing a player back for a THIRD time! Bringing them back for a second go around has pretty much been disastrous (Berglund, Carpenter, Beech, even Cote). At least he was off waivers, so we don't even need to give up a urinal screen for him.

Posted by: alpca3877 | January 23, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Brash in a smoked visor...Ha! That's classic. These guys are really becoming a tight knit bunch and firing on all cylinders. Keep it guys! GO CAPS!

Posted by: BearsWoooo | January 23, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Just took a peek at the end of the season schedule. Wow, barring a disaster beforehand, they'll be deciding their fate by playing 4 point games in their last 7 contests, all Southeast Div. games. Yeesh, whoever does NHL scheduling needs to be drug out into the middle of the street and...

Posted by: geauxcaps | January 23, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I seem to remember Beech playing well in a game in Atlanta last year. I don't remember much about him, but I just remember that. He's definitly here to bolster our AHL team.

This is an organization that takes a lot of pride in it's affiliate, as all teams should. Hershey's been hurting with injuries and recalls, and Beech will bring some stability to their lineup.

Posted by: Stephen | January 23, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Beech, Beech the Beech is Back.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 23, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Did somebody see Elton John?

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 23, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

The fortunes of this team in the next 5-7 years are significantly boosted if Eminger is a legit, positive piece of the puzzle. I don't know if this is the road we're headed down with him, but we should all hope it is.

Posted by: Frank Vitchard | January 23, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

As a HUGE Caps and Bears fan, I'm glad to see that the Caps care about their AHL affiliate. Beech was huge in Hershey's drive to the Calder Cup 2 years ago. He scored big goals, won faceoffs, and was great in the defensive zone. Hershey is still getting use to having an NHL affiliate that actually cares about them, because Colorado was useless as an affiliate, and NEVER helped Hershey. Its nice to see the Caps getting Hershey some much needed help, because the Bears are pretty banged up with injuries. Way to go GMGM, thanks for caring about your AHL team, too. Now if we could only hire either a goaltending coach, or trade for a goalie that doesn't have a GAA that goes up on a nightly basis!

Posted by: Matt | January 23, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna work on my half slap shot and drink lot's of human growth hormone.

Posted by: Papa Schultz | January 23, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

GMGM needs to be promoted to Hershey Bears GM position, maybe then he'll take of Caps?

Posted by: Papa Schultze | January 23, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Who cares that beech is back? He'll play for hershey, not the caps! Geez!

Ollie should have skated. I don't care if he's old. He lays bad, he pays the consequence, hard practice. When he plays well, then he gets a day off. If he is old, if he cannot perform, then he needs to sit or retire.

wouldn't it be nice if brash scores a breakway goal from his back tonight after his performance today.....

Posted by: Lee | January 23, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Dave in Alexandria on this one. If the Caps drop either of these games, it had better not be for lack of effort. The pedal needs to be superglued to the floor from here on out.

Getting on top is one thing. Staying there is another. Sliding at any point will cost us dearly. Such is the hole that they dug for themselves under Hanlon. I think this team has the strength of character and quiet confidence to recognize that A) the Canadiens are not a team to be trifled with, and B) they need to keep battling hard if they want to be playing hockey on April 9th.

Considering where the Caps have crawled back from, I don't think anyone's going to be calling them anything other than underdogs this season. Like the commentator of VS pointed out on Monday - no team in NHL history that was as low as the Caps were in the standings at the midpoint of the season has ever come back to make the playoffs. Other coaches in Caps history I'm not so sure about that, but I have no doubt that Boudreau knows exactly what the goal is, how much it's going to take, and how to convey the magnitude of it to the players in his charge. The man has Jack Adams written all over him.

Posted by: HolyOlie | January 23, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"Now if we could only hire either a goaltending coach, or trade for a goalie that doesn't have a GAA that goes up on a nightly basis!"

You sure you're talking about the Bears?

I don't think GMGM's going to help you too much in that department!

...actually, one of our goaltending prospects should be cracking the AHL pretty soon. Neuvirth or Varlamov - flip a coin.

Posted by: HolyOlie | January 23, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

My question is really what's wrong with Beech that no one wants him -- defensive zone coverage? I mean, he was nothing special for the Caps the last few years, but he has 284 points in 288 career AHL games and has 11 points in 20 games in the NHL this season. If Boyd Gordon doesn't cut it on the second line in the long term, and the Caps don't want to break up the first line and move Kozlov to second-line center, and we suffer another injury down the middle, I can easily see Beech centering the second line. That's a lot of ifs, but I'm wondering what's wrong with the guy that two teams cut him after 11 points and a plus-4 in 20 games, in an average of only 12:19 of ice time no less.

Posted by: Bret | January 23, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

@Frank,

Huh? With Alzner, Finley and Godfrey waiting in the wings, with Mo and Green and Poti and Pothier (and Schultz too) here now. I'm counting more D-men than roster spots.

Emmy and Erskine will be the odd men out.

Posted by: Steve R | January 23, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

And I forgot all about Jurcina. He'll be on the bubble.

Posted by: Steve R | January 23, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Bret,

I couldn't tell you why they cut him, but I think he's had his run here in Washington. I'd much rather see Wilson or Beagle come up from Hershey, while Beech fills in for them down on the farm.

We've got a system loaded with young talent... Why bring back someone who has consistently underwhelmed on VC ice?

Posted by: HolyOlie | January 23, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

The Beech move allows GMGM to promote a center from the Bears up to the varsity squad. Or maybe package a center and other assets in a trade down the road.

As long as he doesnt see the inside of the Verizon Center, the Beech signing is a no risk transaction.

Posted by: Genotype55 | January 23, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posters here can say what they like about Beech; but they can't argue with his stats:

He led the Hershey Bears in postseason with 14 goals and 14 assists in the 06-07 clinching of the Calder Cup. Perhaps a better "working environment" from behind the bench will help him progress like Green, Flash, Steckel, Gordon and Laich, also on that Calder cup roster. Seems like Boudreau has a long memory and appreciated his hard work.

Hell, a year ago nobody liked Brent Johnson. What a difference a year makes!

Posted by: dogdaze | January 23, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Well... Beech does know BB's system. May be an easy temp filling just in case.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

@dogdaze

I think you hit the nail on the head. With the right coaching and motivation anything is possible. ie Tom Brady

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 23, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

nice! Brash is great. anyone have pics of the Brash's Ovie impression???

Posted by: ns | January 23, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Beech == Flash with no upside. Flash still has a chance to make it, Beech probably has run out of time.

Posted by: tallbear | January 23, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

At this point in the season I don't think anyone can argue that BB can really develop guys. I don't know what he says or does to motivate them but this team is completely different then it started off to be. Maybe that's all that guys like Emminger, Beech and some of the others need. A good leader with a good system...It seems to me that BB really has a knack for finding the good in the players and bringing it out in them and then applying it to the team...

Posted by: K | January 23, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Steve R,

You can never have enough Dman, and i also wouldn't put too much stock in Joe Finley

Posted by: Bobby | January 23, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

dogdaze,

Nobody's arguing about his talent at the AHL level. If that's where he does his best, then by all means he should hang around and help the Bears as much as he can. I'd love to see him assist Hershey to another Calder Cup.

His NHL performance, however, is a different matter. Maybe it'd be different under BB, but I'd rather see the new guys get a chance to shine than bring back a guy who has already had two go-arounds in DC without much success.

Posted by: HolyOlie | January 23, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Ilya might be sitting out a game or three

Posted by: Steve R | January 23, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steve R | January 23, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Even after Alzner, the team still needs another legit top 4 defenseman if it wants to go where we all want it to go. Not sold on Schultz. Finley is cooked. Godfrey? We'll see.

Posted by: Frank Vitchard | January 23, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

@Bobby - Why are you down on Finley. From what i hear, the dude is the type of big nasty Defenseman we all wish Schultz would be.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | January 23, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Beech shouldn't be the primary concern for the fans, Olie on goal is like playing with matches and gasoline, that should be your concern.

Posted by: Opita | January 23, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

"Hello DC101, can you make it stop?
Is it Jaromir Jagr?

Bwaaahhh, hello DC101, can you make it stop?
Is it Jiri Novotny?

Nope, DC101, can you make it stop?
Is it Ross Lupaschuk?

Oooh, close but nada... Hello DC101, can you make it stop?
Is is Michal Sivek?

Zippo, DC101, can you make it stop?
Is it KRIS BEECH!
Yes it is!"

If Beech is the answer, I don't want to know the question!!!

Posted by: FrankM73 | January 23, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Finley might be that, but it'll be in like 2012.

Posted by: Frank Vitchard | January 23, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

@ Frank Vitchard

I don't see why it would take Finley 4 more years to be ready to contribute. He is finishing his third season of Division 1 NCAA hockey as we speak. A season, maybe two in the AHL and he could be ready to clean some NHL clocks.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | January 23, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Have you heard anything at all about Chris Clark's progress?

Posted by: HolyOlie | January 23, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

A year ago Johnny lost 12 of 13 games when Kolzig was hurt. Anyone who wants to try again just has not watched much hockey. #1 goalies take over, like Kolzig did, they don't just start playing great because the other goalie is not. Johnny is a good backup and had his chance to be #1 last year, may get another chance, but I'll bet he blows that too. Backup is not a bad job in the NHL, I'm sure he is content.

Posted by: Bob | January 23, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Back up goalie isn't a bad gig. Best seat in the house on the end of the bench. You're also quite a lot of fans' favorite player...

Posted by: Steve R | January 23, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

The problem with Finley is that he's basically promised to stick with his college team until they win the NCAA championship. If that doesn't happen this year, look for him to stay there through his senior season, and then maybe a year or two in the AHL. 4 years isn't all that far-fetched, although I agree that he's probably further along than people give him credit for.

Posted by: Brad | January 23, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Well North Dakota is currently ranked #4, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll win it this year. I recall Finley saying he wanted to give it another shot, but I don't recall him saying he was committing to TWO more shots.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | January 23, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

You, know, a few injuries here and there and its possible that Kris Beech and Joe Motzko could be running the PP.

Posted by: dave | January 23, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

@tallbear

I don't have a camera (except the crappy one on my iphone). But I wish I did to snap a pic of Brash, and Semin wearing the pink helmet last week. The Post got me a sleek new laptop and a neat blackberry, but no camera. Editors, are you listening? Hook me up with a camera.

@HolyOlie

Chris Clark has not gotten any better. He's been sent to a few specialists, and to my knowledge, no one has figured out why the injury is not healing.

Posted by: Tarik | January 23, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Thanks, though that is worrisome.

Posted by: HolyOlie | January 23, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

You know, Motzko is the Bears' representative for the AHL All-Star game.

Posted by: All Star Motzko | January 23, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Motzko is a good AHLer. Just not a first line NHLer like he was being played up here when Hanlon was here.

Posted by: Lee | January 23, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

do you have any updates on Clark or Pothier and when they may be in the lineup?

Posted by: capshockey98 | January 23, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I think that we should all chip in a couple of dollars to get Tarik a camera of some sort. I feel like I miss out on all the fun!

Posted by: K | January 23, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

What happened to this morning's rumor about the Caps making a deal with the Kings for Cammalleri?

I can't believe Beech is coming here, but maybe Fehr or Bourque are; and having Beech in Hershey may open this possibility up a little more.

Posted by: Fred | January 23, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Hello Caps fans! We are looking forward to our home and home.

Is it true that Backstrom, Green, and Semin are all out tonight with headaches? The rumor showed up on our message board. We also heard Kolzig may be sent to the minors due to fan complaints?

Posted by: Maple Leafs Fan | January 23, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

The Caps lead the league in weird injuries that refuse to heal. I remember when it took them forever to get Tinordi properly diagnosed.

Also, why is is we can continually find a place for Kris Beech, but Sluggo remains exiled on the West Coast? Why?

Posted by: Cpl Cespod | January 23, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

by the way, Finley is +19 so far this season and leads his team http://www.fightingsioux.com/fls/13500/stats/mhockey/2007-08/teamcume.htm

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | January 23, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

@Leafs Fan,

no headaches for those players. And unfortunately Kolzig won't be in the minors, he'll be in net when they play tonight. Hopefully the Leafs won't put anything on goal that he has to move for....

Posted by: Lee | January 23, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

So much more polite than those Pittsburgh and Buffalo troublemakers...

No my friend, you'll be seeing all four of them tonight, including Kolzig, much to the chagrin of many Olie-bashers.

Unfortunately, you will not be seeing one of the greatest defensive prospects the NHL has ever known in Jeff Schultz. They've given him the night off so that he can tape his sticks and rest up for his inevitable last-minute addition to the all-star lineup.

Posted by: HolyOlie | January 23, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Actually, we've traded Schultz to the Leafs for McCabe, straight up, and they're just waiting to make the announcement until after the game.

Posted by: Rumor Mill | January 23, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Not for that midget McCabe!

Posted by: Papa Schultz | January 23, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

@Rumor mill,

We all know that is false. We would never trade straight up. Always get that 4th round pick instead!

Posted by: Lee | January 23, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Here's offering a thanks to the person who pointed out I can upgrade to get the NHL Network on Comcast.

And to that same person, I also shake my fist! Stupid network was packaged in with about ten other channels, including Fox College Sports - Atlantic. Now I get to see the Terps without having to wait for the national broadcasts. So I'm never leaving the apartment again! Thanks for nothing!!

Posted by: John in Mpls | January 23, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

@LeafsFan, check this out- http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/313555

good luck tonight.

Posted by: pch49 | January 23, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I would only hope there's no correlation b/w Backstrom's headaches and claiming Beech. It's scary just thinking about it. I'm sure there isn't... I mean there had better not be... actually forget I even mentioned it.

I'd much rather it signified that Fehr is ready to come back up.

Speaking of Backstrom, how many think he's the main reason for Kozlov's resurgence?

Posted by: beanboy | January 23, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Leafs fan-
Scouting report on Kolzig-FIRE THE PUCK ON NET. It's a crapshoot these days..
So what's the deal with Mats?

Posted by: dave | January 23, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

@Maple Leafs Fan

Nice power ranking. Heh.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 23, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

@pch49

Great link. Thanks.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 23, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Is there any news on Green's contract?

Posted by: Jordan | January 23, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

As of today, Ovie is a +10. Anyone know the last Caps player to have +/- of 10 or more?

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 23, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Well you guys were looking for something to talk about today ... looks like you found it!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I am going on memory...but wasn't Gordon a +10 last season?

Posted by: Jeff | January 23, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Esa Tikkanen, you have managed to make me cry with laughter. I suppose that is the best in the league?

Posted by: opita | January 23, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

From the last thread ...

John:
I agree with your thinking RE: Flash/Laing ... it will be interesting to see how it plays out!

Stephen:
Interesting point about Pettinger. I am not sure what happened to him. He had a decent season last year and now ... ?!? He's a young guy who has not had a major injury ... I don't get it. Frankly, I feel sorry for him. I hope he find his mojo soon. If not, your prediction may be spot on!!

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Think Clark will be out for the season at this point?

Maybe the specialists are saying he needs surgery and he's fighting it in hopes it will heal itself???

The fact that he's not able to even skate is telling. We all know Clarkie works through pain...

Posted by: Tracy | January 23, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

@Jeff,

Just found an ESPN stats page and you're right. Gordon was a +10 last year. Awesome memory.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 23, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Opita,
It's damn good for a Washington Capital as of late. Plus his D has gotten much better.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 23, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Esa, I only remember it because it was 1) a round number, 2) it was absurdly high compared to the rest of the team, and 3) I am a big dork. :-)

Posted by: Jeff | January 23, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Jeff,
You're right. Nobody else was even close. If I remember correctly :)

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 23, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Esa Tikkanen:
Did you just call Jeff a dork?!? ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Boo! -- I sit at a computer all day and post on here way more than I should...was it ever really in doubt?

Posted by: Jeff | January 23, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

No Boo.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 23, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Esa, my apologies, I read Olie.

Posted by: opita | January 23, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Jeff:
LOL!! :-) I hope you got the joke ... not sure that Esa did?!? :-/ Regardless, based on your definition, guess that makes most of us dorks!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

opita,
we're cool.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 23, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Esa:
Read what Jeff wrote and then read your response ... (this is what I get for trying to be funny!! ;-)).

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Boo, remember, if you have to explain the joke, it ain't funy....

Posted by: Lee | January 23, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Lee:
Now THAT was funny!!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Esa missed it. Long day. Stressed about tonight. I think it's a statement game to Canadian press etc. I'm laughing Boo.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 23, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Ok, since we are in the last hour before game time with nothing to do, I would like to propose a hypothetical question:

If you could ask GMGM one question (a real one now) what would it be? WHat bit of info on our beloved team would you want to know from the GM?

Posted by: Lee | January 23, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Just read something interesting from the AP game preview tonight:

"Washington, which hasn't lost back-to-back games in regulation under Boudreau, has scored four or more goals eight times in the last 10 contests. The 3.48 goals per game the Capitals have averaged under Boudreau would be first in the league."

Of course, since we typically win by a small margin, that means that our collective GAA under BB... Well... Yeah, you guys get the picture.

Posted by: Raber | January 23, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Dear GMGM, Do you have your resume in order?

Posted by: uncatim | January 23, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

RE: Question

When are you signing Green, Mo, and Kolzig for a big discount (in case he gets hot later in the season)?

Posted by: Raber | January 23, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Lee/Esa:
I wouldn't ask GMGM anything - I would tell him a joke!!! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Why does everyone continue to be so hard on GMGM? Granted he waited too long to get rid of Hanlon (I was on that sinking ship also). But seriously, let's look at the make up of the team since Thanksgiving. In my naive eyes, he's put one helluva young team together that is continuing to mold and get better.

Yes they're inconsistent at times, but aside from goalie (I'll get to that next) what would you change right now? At this point I don't think I'd even bring in more D. Let's give the group we have here another year to grow. Yes, the playoffs are a possibility this year, but even with a veteran D and/or a top 6 forward, this team doesn't need to win the cup this year to be a success.

As for goalie, I don't think any of us could have predicted how bad Olie would be this year. Yes he is getting older and yes his stats haven't been great the last couple of years, but almost everybody attributed it to a young defense.

And bring on the naysayers. Look at the teeam right now and look at the number of Caps playing that GMGM drafted. Maybe he's not perfect, but "Do you have your resume in order?" .... Come on

/yeah i rambled so what

Posted by: Yosh | January 23, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Boo, you are really trying....

Posted by: Lee | January 23, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Yosh, I ignored that question.

I just think it would be an interesting thought game to see what people would want to know.

Posted by: Lee | January 23, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Understood Lee...wasn't griping at you in particular...I was (and continue to be) curious why he continues to get so much hate.

I know people have complained before about his drafting, but what is his success compared to other GMs...i.e. the number of draftees that make it to the show?

I'm too lazy right now to do the footwork, but was hoping someone has it in them :)

Posted by: Yosh | January 23, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

@Yosh,

Actually, Steve R and I have been having that debate today. I think he has been pretty successful. My complaint is the same as yours: he stuck with Hanlon too long. But otherwise the draft is a crapshoot. Schutlz went higher than Green. how many teams passed on Green? Does that make him a better Gm than all those others?

Posted by: Lee | January 23, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Lee:
HA!!! I don't know if you are, but you're cracking me up!! :-D

OK, any predictions for tonight (and tomorrow, while you're at it)?!?

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Boo, you laugh too easy.

Caps win tonight, big. tomorrow they start slow, but come back.

If they lose, it ain't gonna be to the Maple Leafs...

Posted by: Lee | January 23, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Lee:
There's no such thing!!

I agree - we will take 'em both, but I don't think that either will be big. If we don't take them seriously (i.e. they are the Caps the day after Thanksgiving!), then they will take us by surprise!! They will probably be playing with fire, but the Caps now know how to fight fire with fire, so it's their game(s) to lose.

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Please enjoy this good ol hockey game video clip that my youngest son found on you tube. Some of you may have already seen this, but this is great.

Dean

Posted by: Dean | January 23, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Great article about the Caps...with some interesting comments from GMGM, too!

Posted by: Jon | January 23, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Now WHY can't all the other fans that post on our board be as nice as Maple Leafs Fan? I mean if you want to discuss something in a meaningful way like s/he does, great! These stupid P1$$burgh fans are irritating as all get out!

I think this will be one hell of a game. It wouldn't surprise me that it's another game like the last (Caps/Pens). I expect hard hitting, high scoring, fast and in your face hockey.

And I'm now a company (insert shameless plug here). :)

Posted by: Greg S. | January 23, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

First team to 6 WINS!!!

Posted by: 828 | January 23, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Fight fire with fire: Laing/stecks/Bradley

Jeez. Toe Blake, Dit Clapper, Eddie Shore, those guys were the greats.

I don't know what to say. Christ, it's up to you.

- Reg is our coach. - Yeah, sure. Old-time hockey!

- Like Eddie Shore. - Yeah.

Coach, our line starts?

- Sure. - Yeah!

Posted by: Harry | January 23, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Is the game on CSN + tonight? It's not showing up on the damn guide..

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Yes - it is on CSN+ at 7:30.

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but does anyone know the franchise record for consecutive wins?

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Boo

If my memory serves me correctly -- :)

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 23, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Esa:
LOL!!!!!!!! :-D As long as you don't call me a dork ...

BTW, found the record:

February 18, 1984: The Caps win their 10th game in a row, defeating the St. Louis Blues on the road. This 10-game winning streak remains a Capitals franchise record.

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Jeff, where are you? Boo has a question and I know you have the answer.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 23, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

HA!!! OK, I am too easily amused - you guys have me laughing out loud tonight. Guess I am a dork ...

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I still don't get why you think I called you a dork. The only dork I know is the guy doing the power rankings for TSN.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 23, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Esa:
Not me - Jeff. But like Lee said, if I have to explain it, well, then the jokes on me!

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

@Dean

Awesome :)

I committed 17 traffic violations to get home at 7:10 ... i forgot the game is at 7:30 -.-

Posted by: mauree | January 23, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

LETS GO CAPS!!

What Lee failed to mention is that I got the best of him in the debate :)

Posted by: Steve R | January 23, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't have known the record for games in a row anyhow...in 1984 I wasn't old enough to count to 10...of course, that still may be the case today.

Posted by: Jeff | January 23, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

PI$$ on Comcast, this should be in HD! Why can't I watch NHL Network?

Posted by: Bob | January 23, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Hello All!
Just got home as well and cracked a cold one 'cause...I want one, or three.

Beech and Brash in the news. I laughed because I can visualize both. Anyway,

Lets Go Cap-I-Tals!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 23, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

mauree:
LOL!!!!! :-D Hey, anything for the Caps, right?!? LET'S GO CAPS!!!!!

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

No worries, we will play so much better now. See, see what I mean, PP?

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 23, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

ha...gotta love Olie the slowie.

Posted by: Tommmy | January 23, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Fudge ...

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

How come the game is not on center ice???

Posted by: soon to be 19-0 | January 23, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Tommmy/Capz Suk, whoever.

I didn't know they had internet access at the homeless shelter.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 23, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

What a sissy, hurt by soft Stevie

Posted by: Bob | January 23, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Tucker sucker! Ha Ha

Posted by: Bob | January 23, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

ummmmm...I was merely making a comment...the 'ha' was sarcastic...if you've even bothered to pay attention to any of my other posts on these blogs, you would see I am a caps fan. I may be a realist, but I am a caps fan.

Posted by: Tommmy | January 23, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Good news and bad news;
Good news, the caps are keeping Toronto to only 4 shots on goal
Bad news, Olie is on goal and has already let one goal in.

Posted by: opita | January 23, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Good news and bad news;
Good news, the caps are keeping Toronto to only 4 shots on goal
Bad news, Olie is on goal and has already let one goal in.

Posted by: opita | January 23, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

When, this thread?

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 23, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

mauree:
it's about time for my 'you know what' skate ...

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

No, not this thread, other threads.

I may not make comments like the 'Caps are going to win the Cup' or 'The Caps are going to make the p-word because they are winning' But I still support them, just more realistically.

Posted by: Tommmy | January 23, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

@opita

It was a deflection from right by the crease. Please tell me how you think Olie should have stopped that. He would have needed to move 2 feet to the right in under 100ms.

Posted by: nautikal | January 23, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Likewise. Sect 107 D 1-2 for Pit 3/9 and Bos 3/16 and I'll buy you a beer Tommmy.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 23, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

The Leaf who scored on the deflection was all alone in front of the net because Mike Green was, once again, half-way to the blue line.

C'mon Greenie. I like your stickhandling and goals, but it's gotta be D first, dude!

Posted by: Joe B | January 23, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

you're going to the lady skate now??? what about the other two periods??? arg!!!

Posted by: mauree | January 23, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Bernie,

Chances are I wont make it to a game, im down in Fredericksburg via Alexandria and rarely get back up to DC.

Thanks though!

Posted by: Tommmy | January 23, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

BOO!!! YOu are leaving before the game is over?!!?? To go for a skate???!!! That's not funny!

Posted by: Lee | January 23, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Bernie,

I'll take you up on that one! ;)

Posted by: Lee | January 23, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Lee, sure. I'll have a Langway jersey. :o)

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 23, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Ah Langway.

I used to work for a team in the UHL a bit back when he coached the Richmond River Dogs

His players were the only ones that respected my ice crew before going on the ice for a morning skate.

He was an awesome guy.

Posted by: Tommmy | January 23, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Nautical, It didn't look that spectacular to me, but I must admit I am watching on a non HD TV. Lets hope I am just being too pesimistic.

Posted by: opita | January 23, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Ovie!!!!

Posted by: Bob | January 23, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Comcast has blocked the HD signal. F them

Posted by: Bob | January 23, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Been to Langways, the restaurant? LOL..

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 23, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, we are in Toronto and the refs are obviously pro Leafs, who woulda thought?

Posted by: Bob | January 23, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

@Bob
Yep.
Toskala just looked at the puck and got a whistle...

Posted by: mauree | January 23, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Lee:
I thought you already figured out that I am not funny?

mauree/Lee:
Just for you, I blew off my skate. I normally have a date with me DVR on Wed nights to catch the rest of the game (if there is one), but tonight I am getting it realtime!

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

@Tommmy,
I went to Langway's in the 80s when he was 'The Secretary of Defense' and Mike Ridley was there having a burger. Just good childhood memories. Anyway, Erskey hittin' and holding the line. Gotta love it.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 23, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Uh, shouldn't we be blowing them away by now?

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Kolzig's falling in front of most of the shots so far, at least. We need to get this power play going, already..

Posted by: Jordan | January 23, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

@Jordan

The space time connection between parallel universes is a very thin thread connecting multiple realities.

In other words: DON'T JINX IT!

Posted by: mauree | January 23, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

*stares at Jordan*

Posted by: mauree | January 23, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Why did I skip my skate, again?

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

He fell the wrong way.

Posted by: Not Jordan, I swear | January 23, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!

Cause you love the Caps and the invaluable witty comments of your smart fellow bloggers?

Posted by: mauree | January 23, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

So what rule says Andropov can skate through the crease and knock down the goalie? Oh yea it is Toronto, and the officials office is across the street.

Posted by: Bob | January 23, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Or someone walked off with boo's left skate

Posted by: Steve R | January 23, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steve R | January 23, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

mauree/steve:
uh ... you're both right ...

Lee, on the other hand, is SO wrong! Lee - I thought you said we were gonna win big?!? I'm holding you to that, mister ...

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

so this is who the caps build a winning team?? Stellar goalie...nah, veteran RW...nah let him light it up in Atlanta, dude not good enough to make the line-up for the Blue Jackets...HELLS YES!!

Posted by: DC FURY | January 23, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Great roundhouse kick by Antropov on Kolzig in the crease..

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

@opita

The shot was well wide and it was deflected in past Olie who was in perfect position for the original shot. Unforunately Kilger was wide open.

Olie is looking strong though... offense needs to pick it up though.

Posted by: nautikal | January 23, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

all right, these are two points we should really bring home - the Caps are the better team. They're a bit relaxed... just score a few already!

GO CAPS!

Posted by: mauree | January 23, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

I have faith! The Caps will rock the thrid period.

Posted by: Kim | January 23, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

I definitely want to jinx THIS stat: apparently this year the Caps never won when trailing after the second. 0-7 or something.

Posted by: mauree | January 23, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Here we go ... it's now or never, boys ... LET'S GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm seeing a lot of missed shots on the real-time score tracker... is the shooting really that bad tonight?

Posted by: Kurt | January 23, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

front page of nhl.com:

Hot Capitals visit Leafs in Toronto

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

@Kurt
Some of those shots are close... and well at least they're shooting. They're not playing bad - but can't put it in right now.

Posted by: mauree | January 23, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

SEMIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Posted by: mauree | January 23, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Looks like THAT one went in! Three cheers for two Alexes!

Posted by: Kurt | January 23, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Sha-weeet! Smiles!!!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 23, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I can't watch on Verizon, I'm listening on the website radio go Caps!! With dual Alex goals it's trouble for the leafs!

Posted by: CapFan8 | January 23, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Trade Kolzig.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo.......................ooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooo

Posted by: mauree | January 23, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Nice hockey game, defense should show up tomorrow with a bit of luck

Posted by: Bob | January 23, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

The only team in trouble is us. When he stops the puck, he is in no position for the rebound. He is too slow following up the few saves he makes. He was challenged once in the third period and was not up to it. Kolzig is killing us. We would have disappeared in the SE with any other goalie in the system in net for us.

Please, Please, Please, Please Bruce. Enough with Kolzig, already.

Posted by: Old Bob | January 23, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

You have to be kidding me... WTF

Posted by: Sam | January 23, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

I thought big slow goalies were supposed to be good at rebound control....... so what is Olie good for?

Posted by: Mike | January 23, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Was it soft?

Posted by: Kurt | January 23, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Man they robbed us :(

Posted by: mauree | January 23, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Damn! Should have been a guaranteed point, at a minimum. Then Olie leaves a rebound right in front of the crease. :(

In his prime, Olie almost always could steer rebounds to the corners. Another skill apparently gone.

Posted by: Joe B | January 23, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

oh come ON Olie! jesus.

and can someone tell me what Eminger was doing on the ice in the last minute of this game? He gave way too much space...

Posted by: MTB | January 23, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

You knew it was coming. Caps trying to run out the clock in the Leafs zone. Pitiful.
Keep playing from now on. When they lay back they get beat.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 23, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

god damn you olie kolzig

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Way to lose at least a point on the road. They need to finish strong tomorrow.

Posted by: larryn | January 23, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Drat. Just to make everyone crazy, keep in mind that several of the Caps have been quoted this season saying that it is the keepers job to stop the first shot and the rest of the team is supposed to clean up the rebounds (but no one was there ...).

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

The initial shot was so hard that Kolzig was too stunned to recover!

Oh wait.

Posted by: Jordan | January 23, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Green was clearly the worst Caps d-man, He was on the ice for two Leafs goals, he blew the tire on the second goal.

He needs to sit next game. I am fresh and ready to go, I worked on my half slap shot the whole night.

Posted by: Papa Schultz | January 23, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

What a horrible goal! How could Olie let THAT shot in? Why didn't he just ...

Oh wait, I was listening to the game on the NHL radio. Didn't see the goal, actually. :D

Brent Johnson back tomorrow night!

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | January 23, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Got that is frustrating..They need to regroup and come back tomorrow with a W.. This better not be the start of a free fall spiral down in the standings..!

Posted by: Sam | January 23, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe Kolzig turning the puck over at the blue line and what was he thinking letting Kaberle, Steen, and Sundin just skate through the middle twice! Our D should have bought tickets tonight, Green was only thinking about keeping his scoring streak going. Nice play by Erskin though!

Posted by: Bob | January 23, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Should have been at least a point.

Trying to find a positive... Erskine. He played angry today. He played with attitude. He can't skate, but best not lower your head when he's on the ice.

I can't disagree with Finn when next he bashes Olie. The Caps should have gained on Carolina.

Posted by: Steve R | January 23, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Boo,
I'm dorked right now. That hurt.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 23, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Not Olie's fault, Sundin was in a shotgun distance, you can't stop it. Let's lynch Green tonight, he deserved it.

I must be in for the next game. My 1/2 slap shot is 3/4 already.

Green must ride the pine!

Posted by: Papa Schultz | January 23, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Kolzig being a stand up guy and taking "responsibility" is no longer enough. If he wants to remain a stand up guy, he needs to sit down.

I doubt he will do it, however, because the thing that made him a more than competent pro will keep him from realizing he can no longer get it done. Almost all of these guys need to be sent the message in the most brutal, up front way possible, because they don't get it any other way. Remember Langway. He had to be benched umpteen straight times before he finally got the message.

Your turn Bruce.

Posted by: Old Bob | January 23, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Tonight wasn't Greenie's finest hour, but at the end, Kolzig has the play in front of him, can see who is coming, and absolutely needs to control that soft rebound instead of turning it into an assist.

Posted by: Fred | January 23, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Esa:
I've never been good at jumping on the bandwagen (probably why I am not a Skins fan), so ... sorry I can't join the Olie bashing! ;-) But I must say, the entire game was pretty lackluster. Shoulda gone for that skate, after all, huh?

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see the game, so I can't make claims to what happened. But from the looks of it, the board responded as expected:

"Trade Kolzig"

"What was Eminger doing out there"

"FIRE HANLON"

Oh wait, that last one might have been a bit late. It's no secret that some players haven't been top caliber this season. But come on, we're still 4 out of our last 5 and we see them again at home tomorrow for some redemption. We even get Johnny in net, to hush the Olie birds for a while (unless we lose, and then everyone will be calling for Johnny's head too).

Can't win them all, and we're still at .500 in position to overtake the SE (i.e. we have games in hand). Let's come out strong tomorrow and not make it close at the end. Cruising to a win is easier than cruising to OT.

Posted by: Raber | January 23, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I am returning my 'Gang Green' t-shirt to merchandiser. In fact he has 'Gang Papa Schultz' in stock now.

Posted by: Papa Schultz | January 23, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Boo, I think your left skate has been returned.

Posted by: Steve R | January 23, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I haven't been Olie bashing either, but jeez, that softie cost us at least a point.

Posted by: Fred | January 23, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

atta boy, raber!! you've been hanging out with mzuree, haven't you?!? ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

@Raber,

Actually Emmy didn't play bad at all IMHO.

Posted by: Steve R | January 23, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Finn = teeny bopper = moron

Posted by: Bob | January 23, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

steve:
is that a hint? ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

My theory on the NHL playoffs is ... just get in ... and then ride a hot goalie (and top scoring line) to the Stanley Cup Finals.

But between Olie and Brent, I don't see a shot of that happening ... the weakness on this team is obvious. And no, not JUST because of tonight.

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | January 23, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Not blaming Olie Boo! Come late March that one point will matter. Just stings a little bit right now. It'll be good to get down to the phone booth tomorrow night.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 23, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Another positive was the huge grin that Semin had on his face after scoring. He looks like he's having fun finally.

Posted by: Steve R | January 23, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

watching the entire game, I liked the way Eminger played tonight. He had a man tied up and Semin as the first forward into the zone has the responsibility for the third guy in who ended up scoring the goal......

Posted by: Mike | January 23, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

IMHO Kolzig overcommitted on the last goal similarly to the overcommitting on the shootout goal the other night. He made the first big move, which allowed the shooter to pick their spot.
Still, when you're in that situation in the first place there's a good chance they will score.

Our D could've helped more on the other goal.

Quote from fellow Dave and Busters patron: "Ova...chicken? Who is that?"

Posted by: austinsteve | January 23, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

i know, esa. i was in disbelief. but i have high hopes for tomorrow - i wish i could be there!!

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Actually, it was Olie's fault, he gave up a massive, juicy rebound. He was dominant in the shoot out last week, and he moments of brilliance...but he is a flickering shadow of his former self. He's costing this team points more often than is acceptable.

Nostalgia and loyalty to aging veterans does not win championships.

Posted by: Sam | January 23, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

I think my wife is going to get me a tie like Bruce's.

That's about it. Don't know if I can find any more positives. Have to enjoy my beer and think about it.

Posted by: Steve R | January 23, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

This is the angriest I have been all season after a game. An incredibly senseless goal at the end. We give them 2 shots the entire period, come back to tie the game, then Kolzig utterly gave the game away.

We weren't real inspired most of the game, and I was just hoping to get to overtime. Even if we came out of it with only one point it would have been ok although I did like our chances had we gotten to overtime.

A loss like this can turn the season around. Real pressure now to win on Thursday or else we blow the games in hand and enter the all star break on a real negative note losing all our momentum.

I cannot believe that Kolzig didn't knock the puck to a corner. Unbelievable. Look back at this one in April.

Posted by: Paul | January 23, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

inspired play? i dont think so. inspired was when we beat them 7-1.

but semin's big grin, well that was the best part of the game!! ovie is rubbing off on him.

Posted by: Boo! | January 23, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Paul could not have said it any better!!!

Posted by: Sam | January 23, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Watch me in the next game vs. Toronto. I'll plaster midget maple leafs all over the boards, I am shooting for Gordie Howe hat-trick:

- A goal with my half slap shot
- An assist to Ovie's GWG
- A fight with Darcy Tucker where he'll be jumping like a cocker spaniel trying to punch me in the face.

Posted by: Papa Schultz | January 23, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I didn't realize there was a rebound issue before the final shot. I was distracted by something shiney at the bar and only caught the end of the replay.

Posted by: austinsteve | January 23, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

1. Olie is really, really struggling now... I just don't see what we do about it other than hope he gets better... certainly play Johnson more, but Johnson's a career backup for a reason... Does anyone actually know what the pipeline of young goalies look like? How long until we have someone that can legitimately start in the NHL?

2. Eminger looked great tonight... by far his best game imho. He jumped up into the play a couple times, created some scoring opportunities (plus the assist), didn't sacrifice the defensive coverage, was even in good position on the last goal when it looked like he almost blocked the shot with his stick... that's some good news at least (in fairness, he did take a pretty dumb penalty although I understood how it happened... looked like the other guy was turning in one direction then switched and turned the opposite way making Emmy look like the goat... still a very strong performance)

3. Bottom line is we shoul have walked away with 1 or 2 points, but we can't win them all... sometimes the breaks just don't go the right way... hopefully we can bounce back tomorrow with a better showing... it will be nice to see what Johnson can do

Posted by: TripDonkeys | January 23, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I hope Bruce really rips into the team tonight. Pretty much the whole team was just floating around the ice tonight. It was the most lackluster performance by the Caps since November 21 (the loss to Atlanta, 5-1, by far our worst game of the season). A few players showed some heart (Erskine, Eminger, and of course you can never question Ovechkin's determination).

The whole team lost this game, not just Olie. Was it a bad rebound to give up? Yeah. But I don't think the Caps deserved any points tonight. Very disappointing

Posted by: Stephen | January 23, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Emmy played a decent game.

I can't really blame Kolzig for those goals. The first was deflected, the second he was steam rolled and the third he made the first save but Semin peeled off Sundin and Sundin went in all alone.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | January 23, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Everyone is probably in bed by now, but my thoughts from the game...

-Not a fan of Eminger, but I thought he had a decent game. Wish that hit wasn't boarding though.

-Offense didn't have the same fury that they have had lately, although a lot of that could have been dulled by Toronto's goal keeping.

-After reviewing the last goal, (heartbreaking) I don't think that even the best goalies would have had a chance at that. And no, I'm not an Oliemonger.

-AO continues to inspire me.

-Is there something wrong w/ Backstrom?

-John Erskine played awesome and with tons of heart. I like his Old school hockey play, but even lately it seems as though BB has allowed him to pull the trigger more often.

O.K. Those are all the cents I have,

LET'S GO CAPS, DOLLAR DOG NIGHT! I'LL BE THERE!

Posted by: Super | January 23, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

that ladies and gents is a fat rebound. Sasha back checked, Poti and Emmi had their guys reasonbly tied up. Olie has to control it better than that.

we'll see what johnny does tommorrow night.

Posted by: pch49 | January 23, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Guys, every team has off games once and a while, and for whatever reason, tonights game was one of those for the Caps. Everything was just out of sync and hopefully they can correct it for tomorrow.

Posted by: nautikal | January 23, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Well... I'm not going to make a lot of friends tonight.

Olie let in one softie - the first one. The others were understandable and would have been phenomenal saves if he had made them. There were a few chances that he robbed them on. All in all, a good effort. Not great, but good.

Erskine was a maniac out there tonight. Some good crunches along the boards. Eminger wasn't bad at all, either. He tried to set the tone early, but got caught boarding (good call). Problem was, except for Erskine, the rest of the team didn't do anything.

And what was with Poti tonight? He wasn't being himself at all. Seems like he was trying to be another Green, but ended up forcing the issue to no good effect.

Green was not thinking D tonight at all. That's his job. D first, pinching up and getting scoring chances second. He got full of himself.

Which brings me to the play of the team as a whole. They've been reading too much of the press. Caps flying high and all that good stuff. That was not the team that played on Monday with grit and determination.

They deserved to lose tonight.

Hopefully, Coach B will give them a tongue lashing tonight on the plane home, and tomorrow morning.

Posted by: Greg S. | January 23, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Don't think the best goalies would have had a chance at the winning goal?! What?! It was flat along the ice! It went under Olie as he wildly flopped in the general direction of the puck (his vocabulary: "Rebound control") Can't wait for Johnny tomorrow night at VC. He sparkled in net against the Flyers after Olie was pulled, and has been having a great season all around.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

What Greg said.

Posted by: mauree | January 24, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Kolzig = the biggest flop! Leader? My a$$! Retire already!!! $5.5 million?!

Ovechkin is the man!

Posted by: Finn | January 24, 2008 12:07 AM | Report abuse

"Nostalgia and loyalty to aging veterans does not win championships."

Well said. Someone should have told that to McPhee earlier this year when he passed on the Phoenix goalie who shall not be named.

I'm tired of the Olie apologists. Remember, he makes MORE MONEY THAN MARTIN BRODEUR. IT'S NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR HIM TO STEAL A TIGHT GAME ON THE ROAD WHEN WE DON'T SCORE FIVE GOALS.

Anyway, Brent Johnson will start tomorrow. If he falters, which is quite possible, I think it's time to bring in McChesney and get him ready to go after the all-star break.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | January 24, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Olie has had a bad year this year, but I give credit where due. He's had some great games this year, and more than a few dogs. Tonight's was not a dog. Do not put the whole defense on Olie's back. The D let him down tonight.

Green was slow tonight in the D-zone. Poti wasn't much better, but was somewhat. The only D that did anything out there was Eminger and Erskine. Eminger saved a few goals tonight sweeping away lose pucks. That's what D-men are for. Block the shots and clear the rebounds. D missed most of that.

Backchecking by O-men was missing, too. We couldn't get consistently sustained pressure in the O-zone. That, and we gave away the neutral zone way too easily.

They need to quit reading the papers about themselves.

Posted by: Greg S. | January 24, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

I agree with what Greg S said. Olie played a pretty good game tonight, and don't kid yourselfs, he was keeping us in the game, making a few really good saves on cross-ice passes. There have been a few games this year where Olie really dropped the ball, but I don't think this was the one. A goalie is an important part of a team, but he is NOT THE TEAM. He shouldn't take the blame for a poor team effort.

Posted by: Stephen | January 24, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

On a lighter note, maybe now we can sign Bizarro Chris Beech, Krys Barch.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | January 24, 2008 1:10 AM | Report abuse

On a lighter note, maybe now we can sign Bizarro Chris Beech, Krys Barch.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | January 24, 2008 1:10 AM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: test | January 24, 2008 2:12 AM | Report abuse

Ok, now I've seen the highlights and there are a couple notes to make.

1. Semin completely lollipops it back into our zone, and his man skates right by him to put the rebound in. If he'd put any effort into it, the rebound would've been harmless.

2. The "shot" for what it's worth was deflected on the way there. Kolzig was out to challenge a real shot and this one changed direction and slowed on the way there.

Both of those points in mind, an NHL goalie should have made the second save. Olie was out of position on the rebound and didn't realize quick enough what he'd done.

That said, I'd almost be more frustrated with the Kilger goal early. It was a tiny deflection that Olie should have known where it was coming from (pass was slow). Olie was slow to react and got beaten.

Just looked up and realize that Greg S. basically said exactly what I'm typing here. Glad some people react with logic and don't let emotion do their talking.

Posted by: Raber | January 24, 2008 4:07 AM | Report abuse

@Raber:

Man I agree with you, Semin was half-asleep on D on the final goal. On this blog fter the Pens shoot-out 'Sombrero Man', in a moment of nearly divine premonition, wrote, "We saw the lazy Semin a couple times tonight and it almost cost us. . . . I still love the guy, I just wish he played with a fire every shift instead of 70% of them."

Nobody on this blog commented on the "Lazy Semin" remark, but this is a theme that should be explored more here. Don't get me wrong, I love Sacha. I wear #28 at the Caps games, the guy has unreal puck control and stick skills, like nothing I've seen in a long time. But he is a kind of a lurker, hanging back away from the play positioning himself for where the puck will be so he can bust forth and conquer. But this has a real price to pay because we very often don't see a 100 percent effort by him on D.

With 30 seconds to play, Semin was right there, he should have been been on Mats. In fact, he should have *clobbered* Mats. Even a hook or X-check penalty would have been better than a goal if it meant a standings point. But Mats was in position and uncontested for a rebound, Semin was still thinking about scoring one rather than stopping one.

Posted by: Drew | January 24, 2008 6:36 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! It is SO nice to see some people assessing the ENTIRE team rather than just ripping on Olie (not to defend him - he did not have a great game, either, but most of the guys were not on their games - almost ALL of them looked off). Stephen, Sombrero Guy, nautikal, Greg, Mauree, Raber ... I AGREE!! Lackluster, Olie is not the team alone, etc.. They just didn't have the killer instinct last night. Hopefully BB will help them find it tonight!! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | January 24, 2008 6:39 AM | Report abuse

Drew:
AMEN!!!!!!!! :-D

Posted by: Boo! | January 24, 2008 6:41 AM | Report abuse

The last few seconds in the Leafs zone the Caps were trying not to loose. Instead of running a play they went for the tie. Sasha gave a week backcheck to say the least. It was a comedy of errors and teams like the Red Wings etc. don't have them. That point will matter.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | January 24, 2008 7:01 AM | Report abuse

I absolutely LOVE how many people come on here and insist that every goalie put every rebound PRECISELY where they want the puck to go. Like receivers that try to run before they've caught the ball (Lookin at you, Santana), Goalies have to make the save first before deciding where they deflect the puck. They also have to trust that their players are going to play some DAMN DEFENSE.

As said above, we got bit by Lazy Semin last night. We had hat-on-hat and he was staring at the puck carrier rather than looking for a man to tie up.

The actual D looked solid last night, except for Mike Green's best Shultz impersonation on the 2nd goal. Olie looked good, too, as much as some of you don't want to see it. 2nd goal was bullcrap though. I was amazed that the ref didn't wash it out with a blue jersey laying on Olie.

Posted by: FFS Enough | January 24, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin added: "Toskala played today an unbelievable game. He win the game tonight."

Won the the game, Tarik.. :)

Remember the Slapshot? Won, won... :)

Posted by: Papa Schutlz | January 24, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Those of you who want him to "control the rebound.." please, hop on over to ESPN and watch the goal again. the shot was LOW (which any shooter wishing to produce a rebound will do) and RIGHT. Olie has to make a kick save to stop the initial shot.

Please... PLEASE tell me how he's supposed to "deflect" it into the corner. The only man-made object I know of that could travel like that is the magic bullet that killed JFK.

ZOMG Olie can't catch a puck with his pads and left a "juicy" rebound....... /sigh

He's not playing great over the last few games, but I will say it again, he played very good last night, kept the game close and aside for some defensive lapses and blown interference calls, got us a point... which our TEAM defense gave away.

Anyone else notice the Leaf's strategy after that goal? Take as many penalties as you can to prevent shots but don't possess the puck. Great plan... had we been trying to just get to OT maybe we should have employed that same method.

Posted by: FFS Enough | January 24, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

From my seat behind the goal last night, you really can't fault Kolzig too much. You simply cannot let Sundin have a sniff of the puck (your defencemen must clear the slot better) in that situation (Sundin found it curious that Brashear's line was on the ice in that situation). I do think our play-by-play radio team is still cleaning up the mess from wetting themselves after the goal. Ole Joe made a mess of himself. Sundin and Toskala were the only Leafs that played worth two scoots, the rest of the team were dire. Our radio team (who are in no way remotely biased...nope, not them) were incredulous that the hit on Poni-turnover-ski wasn't punished beyond a minor; he's out for "weeks, not days" according to Maurice. Presumably, this means someone else will have to take on the role of turning the puck over to the other team.

Posted by: Patrick | January 24, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Papa Schutlz ,

Tarik is quoting him verbatim. That's part of Ovechkin's charisma. :)

Posted by: Finn | January 24, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Enough with the "our D is bad" whining. A good goalie would step it up. Especially with 29 seconds remaining. His SV% was well below .900 yet again last night.

Posted by: Finn | January 24, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

That last goal, I really don't see as Olie's fault. yeah, you want him to come up big in the last two minutes, but even then..that goal was lucky because the puck just got in under his jersey. He put the effort in and it wasn't slow. So I don't think that one was a softie. The defense should have done a better job getting to it.

And as for the Caps..that was the most lackluster game I've seen in a while. Maybe it's because the Leafs defense was all over them and they couldn't get any breakaways. I was disappointed in the entire game and ended up watching just stretches of it at a time on TV because it was just that dull. Though some of the hits were pretty big :) Dunno, we COULD have won that game but it seems like they just didn't want it bad enough. Lots of mistakes. Poti was WAY off his game last night. We had bad puck handling and just an all around off night. I'm hoping tonight will be better!

Posted by: IrresistibleForce | January 24, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Finn. If he's in position to knock that puck to the left corner...guess what.. The entire left side of the net is open. Then you'd be screaming he was out of position.

You can prove anything Statistics, my caps brother... Exaggerated Example... Team scores 5 goals on 5 shots. All are cross-ice passes to an unmolested hall-of-fame center. Yet it's the goalie's fault cause his save% is 0.00.

I'm not down on the D. I think our D is playing very well lately. Hell, our goalies are facing a very low number of shots, but our D is still giving up VERY GOOD scoring chances to the other team. I could jump all over Greener for blowing a tire, but the team's gotta step it up (I still think that goal should have been washed out for interference). To blame Olie for the GWG is moronic...the fact he even got a piece of Mats shot is amazing. Semin's gotta get his hat on Mats, Period. I promise you, no goalie prevents that rebound on that shot.

Posted by: FFS Enough | January 24, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

It's the curse of Kris Beech

Posted by: Harry | January 24, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

The numbers don't lie. Personal statistics are used in player contract negotiations. Does Kolzig deserve that $5.5 million he is getting? If GMGM is to re-sign him, how much would he offer the geezer?

Posted by: Finn | January 24, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Last night i was mad at ollie for leaving a rebound in the middle of the crease (I thought you at least control where it goes). But lets be honest: There is no reason the leafs should have been in the game at that point.

Posted by: Lee | January 24, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I thought last nights game overall was just ugly. I don't really fault Olie to the degree some of you do but everyone seemed a little off last night...
I have to agree though that Emmie and Erskine looked pretty good out there (minus the boarding call although I don't know if that could have been prevented or not)

Posted by: K | January 24, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I agree, very poor backchecking by Semin on the last goal. As the TSN crew pointed out, needless turnover (I believe it was called "Brashear trying to get cute out there") led to the first goal. They didn't give it away with penalties, but some lazy plays definitely stung them last night.

Of course, "lazy" could be substituted for "tired." This has been a pretty rough stretch of the schedule, and tonight won't be any easier.

That being said, I thought the Caps controlled the puck very well in the offensive zone. Give Toskala a lot of credit for the Leaf win. Not every loss is due to crummy refs or a terrible outing by the Caps.

Just a note - Gordon was moved down to the third line after losing a clean faceoff that led to a Toronto scoring opportunity. Steckel was moved up. We've been talking about the potential effects Gordon might have on Semin's defensive committment. Maybe a lack of Gordon on his line had the opposite effect?

Posted by: John in Mpls | January 24, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

The people trying to protect Olie on the rebound must not play the position. Ever since a young goalie starts working on rebound control thoes are the kinda shots that they work on. The shot was a little off the center of his body and not all that hard. It is one of the easiest shots to angle over to the boards. Olie made some big saves and the caps dictatec the play most of the night, but when you have a close game like that, a 5.5mil per year goalie needs to direct that shot to the corner and head to overtime.

Posted by: Mike | January 24, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Mike... Forget protecting Olie. I challenge Marty, Roberto, Patrick...any goalie who can send THAT SHOT to the left corner without strapping his pads to his inner thigh. It's NOT going to happen. Should he have tried to play it with his stick, maybe... Then we'd be yelling at him for not covering his 5-hole.

Still the shot was quite a bit further right than "just off center" and may have even missed the net completely had he let it go. Please, head to ESPN and watch it again.

Without trying to play that shot with your stick, there is NOWHERE on the ice you can put it besides in the middle.

Posted by: FFS Enough | January 24, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Go back and watch the clip of Sundin's goal. You see Semin coasting for a few seconds, then almost cartoon like he jumps and you can read the body language screaming "oh yeah...defense!". Thats the good news, he is trying to get better but he definitely let Sundin go on that final goal. Still, his game tying goal was nasty. This team is a better team WITH #28 than without him. He just needs to shore up a couple things.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | January 24, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Let's see, we pass on Bryzgalov but claim Kris frickin Beech?!? What a GM!!

Posted by: gmsucks | January 24, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse