Kunitz: 'It Looks Bad on Tape'

One day after the Penguins complained publicly about the Caps using illegal picks on faceoffs, Coach Bruce Boudreau responded to the accusations by making some of his own.

"I agree that there was a lot of interference, but most of it was done by them," Boudreau said. "It's so funny. It really is. When we were pre-scouting these guys, one of the things we talked about what how many picks [former Cap] Matt Cooke throws everywhere. I know he's whining about our last goal, but if you look, every faceoff they won, he interfered with our guy going to the net."

Boudreau was responding to articles in the Pittsburgh papers. From the Tribune-Review:

Cooke claims Capitals defenseman Mike Green interfered with Penguins center Jordan Staal on a 5-on-3 power-play goal by Ovechkin in Game 1. Cooke believes he was interfered with on Ovechkin's third-period power-play goal in Game 2 that snapped a tie.
"We've talked to the referees, and I know we showed them tape," Cooke said. "It's a blatant play. I'm nowhere near the puck. (A player) is not allowed to touch me. It's a penalty. ... Call the game accordingly. The rules are the rules. It's not a guessing game."

Boudreau's theory is that the Penguins are simply trying to gain preferential treatment from the refs.

"It's just jockeying and whining," Boudreau said. "It's enough of it."

Some other notes from this morning:

Erskine Out?
Defenseman John Erskine limped off after the morning skate and changed in a room that's closed to the media, presumably to hide the part of his body that's aching. When I asked him how he felt, he said, "Like a million bucks."

While that may or may not be true, based on the way he was limping this morning, it looks like there's a good chance he'll miss his second straight game with an apparent leg/foot injury.

If he's out, it looks like Tyler Sloan will get in again. Karl Alzner, meantime, was second to last off the ice today, but he's available to play, too. It's unclear if someone else is nursing an injury, but that's probably the case because the Caps brought both Sloan and Alzner with them.

Boudreau on Kunitz
Boudreau was a little more diplomatic this morning when addressing Chris Kunitz's two-handed slash to the head/neck of goaltender Simeon Varlamov.

"It's the league's decision," Boudreau said. "But we're not going to lose sleep over it."

Kunitz was reportedly fined for the hit.

Kunitz Shows Remorse
"It looks bad on tape," the Penguin said of his hit on Varlamov. "It definitely does. It's not something I'm proud of. You don't want to do that. You don't ever want to injure someone. But it's something where I was going to the net, trying to make space. Unfortunately I hit him. It's something the league is going against right now -- hits to the head. I was fortunate [to not be suspended]."

More He Said, He Said
In another report in today's Tribune-Review, Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury said he would not be surprised if Alex Ovechkin plays with an illegally curved stick blade.

Ovechkin dismissed the accusations.

"What can I say?" Ovechkin said. "Nothing."

I'll check in with a lineup before the game.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 6, 2009; 1:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bettman on Post-Lockout Playing Style
Next: Ovechkin, Malkin and Datsyuk Up for Pearson

Comments

WE are fortunate Kunitz was not suspended, because he has been, and will continue to be a zero in this series...

Take another penalty Chris...we will bury you....

Posted by: SA-Town | May 6, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

kunitz show remorse? "trying to make space?" yeah, trying to create space between varly's shoulders. if he ran him straight up i'd say he's right. but a jab with the stick like he did, he knew exactly what he was doing and why. probably not trying to intentionally hurt varly, but intended to stun him and get him off his game.

cooke is right about the semin interference on ovies goal...oh well...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 6, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

LET'S GO CAPS! Let's beat them again and get revenge on Kunitz! Revenge is sweet

Posted by: sroessle | May 6, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

From previous thread:

Cooke is a rediculous. If you watch the face-off both he and Semin went towards the face-off dot as the puck was dropped, shoulder to shoulder, the puck was quickly moved back to Green who quickly passed it to Ovi who upon the drop of the puck backed into a wide open position. The contact between Cooke and Semin was a fight for a potential loose puck in the circle, which it wasn't, and after Cooke realized he was waaaaaaaaaay out of position he was already tangled up with Semin whose stick dip trip Cooke but only because Cooke tried to go through the space that Semin occupied. Cooke would not have gotten to Ovi even if he hadn't fallen. The only way he would have been able to accomplish that is if he would have headed directly to his spot at the top of the box rather than fight for a puck that wasn't there.

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 6, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm implying that we get revenge by winning

Posted by: sroessle | May 6, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Really - illegally curved stick blades? Are they serious?!

There must be extra stupid in the Pittsburgh water.

Posted by: JG-CapsFan | May 6, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

If the Pens think that Ovie's stick is illegal they can call the refs over at any time during the game and have it measured. But if they are wrong and the stick is legal they are getting 2 minutes. One of these days when they are down 2 goals they are going to try, so Ovie, keep them legal.

Posted by: RichC3 | May 6, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

wow. there mustn't be a single available tampon is the entire city of pittstain.

Posted by: jamebow | May 6, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I hope that in tonight's game if Crosby, as he did upon entering our zone in the first minute of game 2, (or any other player for that matter) "trips over the blue line" that our fearless Versus announcers would be brave enough to call it thusly. It's one of the all-time great sports put-downs, but rarely heard anymore.

Posted by: Bartolo1 | May 6, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

from last:

an interesting piece by Muir at CNNSI today. They try to keep up and I totally agee with his last two bits: Green and the Kunitz shot. I think he puts into words how I've seen Green in the playoffs and essentially promotes cutting his time if he's injured and keeping him fresher for the PPs. No benching, no forward, just less time. I find that very reasonable.

Posted by: saintex | May 6, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

All good captains have the ability to transform the team they play for into a player like themselves. Crosby has done that by making them a bunch of whiners.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | May 6, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

i guess the penguins are running out of excuses for their last two losses to the Capitals. here's hoping the bears' 3 and 0 series with the baby pens inspires/pushes the Capitals to do the same with the other set of penguins. Must s*ck to be a penguin these days.

Goo Caps!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | May 6, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

But whining is what the Pens do best...

Posted by: FancyDan | May 6, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

As a 30 year fan of the team, I help with all my might the Caps win tonight. I am prepared that they will not. I was more nervous for the two home games because I did not want to give up home ice. Now, they are not expected to win so when they do take at least one of the two in Pitts, it will be gravy.

Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | May 6, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't know how Ovie could stick-handle so well if he had an illegally-curved blade on his stick.

Posted by: baruchgershom | May 6, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Copy editor alert: Flery would not be what???

Posted by: BigMogilny | May 6, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

SA-Town: Kunitz was the one who fed Crosby on the Miracle save, he drew out Varly, who was magically able to reach back and stop it.

If he stays in there long enough he'll have an effect on our game.

dcsportsfan1: It's more that I'd expect from a guy.

The interference from Semin was marginal at best. Considering how Semin is a magnet for penalties like that, if he didn't get called that's saying something. It doesn't help Cooke's case that Cooke is widely known as a dirty bastard either.

Posted by: remain | May 6, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I assume Joe B will be calling the game on Vs. tonight? (please, don't let it be those lunkheads that called the Detroit game last night!) Or will we get stuck with the other east coast crew, who are noticably in love with Crybaby? It's really bizarre how different in quality the various booth crews are for Vs.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 6, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"In another report in today's Tribune-Review, Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury said he would not be if Alex Ovechkin plays with an illegally curved stick blade."

Not be SURPRISED, maybe?

Posted by: FancyDan | May 6, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Cooke would fit in well with the rets of the thugs and low lifes that populate the Anaheim bench.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 6, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

PENGUINS SUCK!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | May 6, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

LeftCoastCapsFan: The AHL series is still 2-0, just like the NHL one.

Posted by: remain | May 6, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"What can I say?" Ovechkin said. "Nothing."

Smart boy.

Posted by: jen-s | May 6, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

it is freakin ridiculous how much whining the pens are doing. this isn't the nba. stop whining and take a loss like a man

Posted by: _stevo | May 6, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

i love matt cooke. i dont put him in the same class as avery et al. i thought he did a great job for us last year, and by taking that dumb penalty on ovie in game 1, he's helped us this year too.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 6, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I heard that Fleury was playing with an illegal glove. It has holes in it for pucks to get through.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | May 6, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

If I'd had more time today I'd have filled a U-Haul with bottles of Midol and pints of Haagen Dazs and hit the road to Pissburgh. I could have made a mint in the Mellon Arena parking lot I tell ya.

Posted by: ModestProposal | May 6, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

@Redbirdie I assume Joe B will be calling the game on Vs. tonight? (please, don't let it be those lunkheads that called the Detroit game last night!)

I wish! But from what Joe B. said on his interview with DC101 the other day, he wasn't going to get either Versus game. He said everyone wants a piece of the action when it comes to a series like this so he understood - but also mentioned that it hurts to not be a part of. I kind of felt bad for him. Must suck being with a team all year and then when it come to the good stuff you have to give it up.

Posted by: capsfantess | May 6, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

@remain Hearshy won last ngiht, according to katie in the morning reading list:

it would be too awesome if the Caps and Bears managed to both drop the Pens and Baby pens.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 6, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

God forbid the Penguins don't get every call to go their way. You have to be kidding me. Man up, quit complaining and realize that you're not the "ONLY" team in the NHL. You've been getting calls for years....enough is enough. With that said, I'm sure Bettman has instructed his Officials to make sure the Penguins win tonight. No chance this game is called fair.

Posted by: joshu1 | May 6, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

ignore my previous post, my reading skills are about on par with those who ahd the misfortune to be born in Pittsburgh....

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 6, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

If you can't win on the ice, play the refs -- Pens playoff logo

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | May 6, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

What is this? How did we manage to draw a whiny team twice in two rounds?

*laugh* Well, bad calls and nonsense are part of every postseason run, I guess. We seem to have had our share, yes? I'd like to see us rise above the silliness and take it for what it is - silliness meant to throw people off their game and distract them from the on-ice business.

I'm really hoping for a win tonight, but like CTCapsPhan, I'm prepared for them to lose. If we can walk out of Pittsburgh with a split on their ice, I think we'll be all right. As wonderful as a sweep would be, it's too much to ask of the hockey gods, I think. (If we get one, I won't complain!)

All I ask of the hockey gods for tonight is a fair, cleanly-called game.

Posted by: kittypawz | May 6, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I guess this entire Pens team takes on the image of its captain. Just whining at every turn about everything. You'd think an NHL roster would be stocked with grown men, not sniveling little children.

Posted by: CDon | May 6, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

The Penguins can be summed up thusly:

Whhhaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: mercedeskk | May 6, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

RedBirdie, Read that sentence again...

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 6, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

This is the team that the NHL wants to promote over the Caps and Red Wings? This bunch of pansies?

Since I love beating dead horses, one of the articles dropped a fact that made me mad all over again. I've always thought it was too perfect that Pitt won the lottery to pick Crosby. 6%, and yet the Pens win. I still call bs.

Even Kunitz is surprised he wasn't suspended.

Posted by: oo7 | May 6, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I could kind of understand the Rangers complaining vocally because they needed any edge they could get. They were seriously undermanned in terms of skill players. (But obviously they pushed the Caps to the limit.) But the Pens are not. They're chocked full of skill guys, like the Caps, and so they should be letting their play determine the results.

Posted by: CDon | May 6, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, and my refresh skills are just as bad!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 6, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

At least Kunitz stood up and admitted he did something that was outside the rules. There are a lot of folks that violate the rules with dirty hits and say nothing about it (Chris Pronger comes to mind immediately...)

Posted by: MikeL-Caps91 | May 6, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

the last sentence is a quote from the linked story:
"...Marc-Andre Fleury said Tuesday he would not be *surprised* if Ovechkin plays with an illegally curved stick blade."

Posted by: webertk421 | May 6, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

...and I see they just updated it.

Posted by: webertk421 | May 6, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

how much worse can the whining get???

Posted by: doughless | May 6, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin has a larger dick then Crosby so they should also check that out!!! It holds him to the ice closer and gives him an advantage

although since crosby has a mangina he can probably skate faster because of less wind resistance

Posted by: kyle_woodruff | May 6, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh now has secondary whiners to complement Cindy... but where's the secondary scoring?

WAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA

Posted by: zloss126 | May 6, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

007,
in 2004 pittsburgh was the worst team in the league but we won the lottery (boy did we) despite finishing 3rd....little bit of luck our way.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 6, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 6, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@saintex: I'm not bashing you because I've seen you enough to realize you are an avid fan, but an SI columist? SI has to be the most worthless magazine when it comes to hockey.

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 6, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Red: "The Bears look to take a 3-0 lead over Wilkes-Barre/Scranton tonight just like the Caps hope to do against the Penguins."

"Look to" does not mean "won the game"

Posted by: remain | May 6, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh fans are proof that there no lifeguards in the gene pool.

Posted by: BondraMan | May 6, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

PENGUINS SUCK!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | May 6, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE THIS!!!! It's the same kind of whining that went on against the Rangers. It's total frustration and it's beautiful for us. Keep going at em and give them even more to complain about with a win tonight. Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: cappies | May 6, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

fanohock, I'm often looking around at other sites (including following BBC for my Barca game tonight!) and read what a ton of folks right. The Green paragraph struck a note because it fleshes out what a lot in here have argued over - is he hurt? What's happened? It wraps his season long excellence around what's happened to him in the playoffs. I'm sure BB knows what's what but I thought it was a good opinion.

Posted by: saintex | May 6, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"a ton of folks right"? What am I doing? Write. Jeez.

Posted by: saintex | May 6, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil | May 6, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

As often as Ovi breaks his sticks, and it's usually a linesman who picks up the pieces, don't they think someone would have noticed an illegal curve?

Posted by: tess2201 | May 6, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

@red...sorry, didn't see your next post!

Posted by: remain | May 6, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

@BondraMan, try to class it up a bit, lines like: "Pittsburgh fans are proof that there no lifeguards in the gene pool." While funny, lower the level of the average Caps fan.

Posted by: remain | May 6, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Win

Posted by: mikebrady1 | May 6, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Kunitz:

"But it's something where I was going to the net, trying to make space. Unfortunately I hit him."

Stop it with this bs! He is such a liar, he was well aware of what he was doing. It WAS that OBVIOUS. You were just going to the net?? Righttt...

It's funny how Crosby's whinning has spread among the entire team. Well, Cooke was interfered with, too bad they didn't call it. On the last goal by Crosby, they should've called cross checking on Kunitz so Crosby's goal would've never counted. So we're all even. I hate Matt Cooke now, which is really unfortunate cause I liked him when he was with us. I totally agree with everyone, take their whinning and the no suspension on Kunitz and pay them back the right way, a win and a 3-0 series lead, and it's over. Pittsburgh will not win 4 games in a row.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, and my refresh skills are just as bad!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 6, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Just do like me and blame it on the painkillers :) "My reading skills are shot because of the pain drugs!" "My refreash skills are shot because of the pain drugs!" best. Excuse. EVER.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 6, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Joe B will not be doing the game tonight - scheduled for the Friday game.

Posted by: zeke00 | May 6, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Kunitz just needs to stop saying it was an accident. It's making himself look bad. Everyone knows it was an intent to hurt. (Or kill.)

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

ATTENTION ALL PENQUIN HATERS WATCH THE GAME 2nite and see how the pens clean the ice with ovies ugly face

Posted by: thaking16201 | May 6, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

wow what a bunch of whiny biotches, I thought their reputation as such was probably hype, "illegal picks", "curved stick". Please beat the crap out of the pen/s again, Thank you Caps.

Posted by: gatsu | May 6, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thaking16201 | May 6, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Um, ok. Thanks. Uh, great addition to the discussion. Got anything else?

Posted by: Leeguru | May 6, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Who's playing the PenQuins?

Posted by: mikebrady1 | May 6, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

The Pens are just like Cindy. Even MAF complaining now?? My gosh, can this team whine about anything else? Why don't they grow up, stop complaining and win a freakin' game?!! Keep on whinning, that's what losers do.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Crosby will get OV with no hits! hahahahahahaahahhahaahaha

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | May 6, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Whining in public is a sign of sheer desperation. It's possible this tactic may work for one game but ultimately they need to rely on their talent. If they felt comfortable with their talent they wouldn't be whining. This is a very good sign for the Caps.

Anybody notice the look on Mario's face the other night? It was almost as if he knew this series was different then the ones he participated in. When he played I always felt the Pens were the more talented team, now I feel that nod goes to the Caps. Better yet, the Caps are only going to get better in the years ahead. We are merely at the tip of the iceberg. ROCK THE RED!

Posted by: blackandred777 | May 6, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Haha, PenQuin!!! Can't even spell your own team name correctly? What about Malkin's ugly face?? Oh, and Sidney's also.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

GO PENS!!!! IM PREDICTING A WHITE OUT
why does everybody hate crosby because of his immaculant of skill DONT HATE THE PLAYER HATE THE GAME

Posted by: thaking16201 | May 6, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

At least OV does not look like a gorilla, like Evgeni Malkin. Actually he looks like half a gorilla and monkey. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

capsfantess -

Unfortunately, Joe B will not being doing the game tonight on VS. He did the Canucks/BlackHawks game last night on VS.

Joe B guest appeared on DC's WKFK 106.7 Sports Junkies radio show this morning. You could hear some disappointment in his voice with his "bosses at VS" descision to go with Emerick (sp?). Good news, though, is that he and Laughlin will be doing Friday's game on CSN.

Posted by: gtimaxx | May 6, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

thaking16201: You're predicting a white out because the Pens people said there will be white t-shirts on every seat. How lame, you need people to give you t-shirts to create a white out. Haha. You're wrong. We don't hate Sidney for his skill, he's great, we just hate his whinning and childish ways.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

my fault skipped the button but ah who has more goals in the playoffs CROSBY or OVECHKIN think about it! Who? Ill admit fleury isnt doin the best but YINZ caps fans need to chill out it aint over yet!

Posted by: thaking16201 | May 6, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

@thaking

White means "surrender" in most places. So keep waving your towels and t-shirts.

Posted by: snakegriffin | May 6, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'll be a heretic and say Kunitz apology is believable - to a point. A drunk driver also expresses remorse. But, still, it's better than nothing. Except for Orpik's face-washing crap, the series has been hard but fair (exactly what any series the Ducks are in is not).

Agreed on Osala: would love to see him get the shot, he's got the skills. Nyls is a professional and I think he'll play hard but he's also probably not feeling a whole lot of love right now, either.

Posted by: WritingLight | May 6, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

At least Kunitz realizes that he got away with one, but he's also lying by saying that he was just trying to make space. I hope someone tries to make space for their elbow where his head is.

Posted by: ranndino | May 6, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

"my fault skipped the button but ah who has more goals in the playoffs CROSBY or OVECHKIN think about it!"

I'm more concerned with the scoreboard, and you should be too. Seriously, are you 12?

Posted by: ModestProposal | May 6, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

PENGUINS SUCK!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | May 6, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------
Hey Lyle - tell us how you really feel

Posted by: Redwolf1 | May 6, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@snakegriffin your right but look were the terrible towel got the STEELERS

Posted by: thaking16201 | May 6, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

If the object of the game was to outwhine an opponent the Penguins would win the Stanley Cup every year of Crosby's career.

Posted by: ranndino | May 6, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

thaking16201: Wow! Crosby has one more goal! That's SUCH a HUGE difference, omg!! I know it's not over, but our road to the next series is a heck of a lot shorter than yours right now. First, you need to win a game.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

@snakegriffin your right but look were the terrible towel got the STEELERS

Posted by: thaking16201 | May 6, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Farther than your English teacher got you, by the look of it...

Posted by: ModestProposal | May 6, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

thaking:

I don't think you understand. The Terrible Towel is yellow.

Posted by: snakegriffin | May 6, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

OK thats a knee slapper am i 12 lol NO thats how many goals are gonna get in the net and i hope the pens crush little ovies heart Atleast the pens can beat philly lol screw the CRAPS

Posted by: thaking16201 | May 6, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

ranndino: You're absolutely right. But they can keep complaining, I like it. Seems to me they're more worried about complaining than winning a game.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

pens 3 craps 1 we will continue to wave all the towels hey rachel hows the playoff beard lookin jk

Posted by: thaking16201 | May 6, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Kunitz's claim was pretty lame, but he did admit he was lucky not to have been suspended. I can't see what Colin Campbell was looking at on the tape when there was clearly a two-handed shot to Varly's head taken by Kunitz. Does it take a serious injury for a suspension like Brash's hit on Betts? The NHL needs to be consistent and not let ANY of these type of plays go unpunished.

It takes away from the game and makes the casual fan think hockey is second rate sport. The NFL may be overly tough on suspensions for late hits / heads shots, but they are consistent and the players know that they mean business. Bettman and his stooge Campbell are a joke.

Posted by: wizfan89 | May 6, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Well, you sound like a 12 year old? Do you use periods or do you not know where it is on the keyboard? Yeah, you'll score 12 on us tonight. Little Ovie? Okay, then what does that make Sidney?

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

thaking16201: Haha, that's funny. =) You probably can't grow one cause you're 10 years old. Keep on waving those towels!!

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

WHATS A GOON TO A GOBLIN?

Posted by: thaking16201 | May 6, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thaking16201 | May 6, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm based the remark about your age on your apparent ability to put together a coherent sentence, and yeah, you're 12.

But since you like facts so much, remind me - When was the last time the Pens beat the Caps in regulation?

Posted by: ModestProposal | May 6, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Alright, I'm off to pregame. Peace out.

Posted by: ModestProposal | May 6, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

ok what about OT that doesnt count?

Posted by: thaking16201 | May 6, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

what about the comment about pissburgh lol thats funny huh YINZBURGH GO crosby where were the caps last year not in the stanley cup finals were they NO why? They suck MAYBE screw Detroit 2 and Hossa

Posted by: thaking16201 | May 6, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

@remain: dont really see how what i said is "classless".

maybe you should grow some?

oops? is that classless of me to say?

Posted by: BondraMan | May 6, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

@thakin16201:

The "Penquins" didn't do that either...It was a SO win..but anyway, love the "immaculant" spelling and grammar. Keep up the good work!

Posted by: jsnyd1 | May 6, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

When was the last time the Pens beat the Caps in regulation?

Posted by: ModestProposal

ok what about OT that doesnt count?

Posted by: thaking16201

ModestProposal asked the last time they beat the Caps IN REGULATION. So does OT count? Idiot.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

@ BondraMan stick to your comic books fella and dont miss pens vs the craps tonight on versus 7 o clock sissy you dont have class come to pittsburgh and say that dont thinks so mamas boy

Posted by: thaking16201 | May 6, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

@ Rachel stick to tennis and shave that beard you look ridiculous tell me the last time pens beat caps then IDIOT

Posted by: thaking16201 | May 6, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Im pretty sure pens won in a shootout? was that one of your bad memories that you dont wanna talk about

Posted by: thaking16201 | May 6, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Green did interfere with Staal on that goal. I saw it during the first replay on Saturday. I probably should have been called.

Along with about a half dozen other infractions, including the Cooke picks to which Boudreau alludes.

Notice who's whining and who's not, though. When NY began to whine, the tide had turned.

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 6, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

What a bunch of whiners! As the saying goes, the fish rots from the head.

Posted by: farmgirl19C | May 6, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

IM a end this with GO PENS GO MALKIN (GENO) GO CROSBY GO MATT COOKE GO JORDIN STALL GO FLEURY GO TALBOT GO BILLY GUERIN AND SCREW THE CRAPITALS AND SCREW YINZ PENGUIN HATERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UNTIL TONIGHT WHEN YALL ARE THINKIN YOU KNOW I WISH I HAD CROSBY ON MY TEAM YALL ARE JUST WIMPS YOU DONT HAVE A LIFE BUT TO GET ON HERE AND BLOG ABOUT THE PENS SCREW THAT GET A LIFE AND GET EM KUNITZ BYE HATERS UNTIL NEXT TIME

Posted by: thaking16201 | May 6, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

thaking16201: You're very sensitive. You're getting angry and trying to insult me now. Haha. Funny kid.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

thaking16201 :

You are in desperate need of major therapy. Seriously.

First step: Get up off that beat up chair in your basement, replace that tank-top shirt, take your first shower and shave in a few days (weeks?), and then walk outside in the perpetually miserable Pittsburgh weather and breath some of your stank, dirty air. Will make you feel better.

No rational person would want whiner like Crosby, who has clearly infected the entire team with his crybaby, diving ways. How pathetic is that?

Posted by: bucknelldad | May 6, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

DONT FORGET ABOUT THAT BEARD ITS ALMOST LOOKING LIKE OVECHKINS F*** THE CAPITALS....... THE WILL FIND OUT TONIGHT ABOUT WHAT HAPPENNED IN 1992 I THINK THAT WAS WHEN THE PENS WERE DOWN BY 2 IN THE SERIES CAME BACK AND TOOK THE CRAPS AND FLUSHED THEM WITH ALL THERE FANS

Posted by: thaking16201 | May 6, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

@ bucknelldad I LOVE MY AIR its great better than that sh**** area were u live I mean it would get frustrating not being a pittsburgh fan daddio i mean all there pro teams are just great exclude the pirates but i love my area and would not trade it for washington ha screw the craps

Posted by: thaking16201 | May 6, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

thaking16201: You're going overboard. Don't get so defensive. Chill out dude.

You keep on trying to offend me and it's not working. But I do think it's hilarious. Even if the Pens win tonight, they'll still be down 2-1. If the Pens win, I bet you will come on here and act like they just won the Stanley Cup. You will look like a fool, which you already do. Why are you wasting time on a Caps blog anyway? Shouldn't you be on Pensblog?

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

ill shave after the pens win the stanley daddio you should adopt rachel yall go together lol GO PENS VERSUS 7 OCLOCK watch as crosby tops ovechkin i love it

Posted by: thaking16201 | May 6, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

im on here to see the bs yall are complaining about go to the pens blog and see what they are sayin about the crapitals its interesting let me tell you i like to say things to peoples face maybe and you dont thats why you are here and not on the pens blog RIGHT again i am

Posted by: thaking16201 | May 6, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

thaking16201: Actually, you would never say those things to a Caps fan in person. The internet allows you to say things and hide.

I'm not on Pensblog because I am not a Pens fan. I'm a Caps fan.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 6, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or are the Pens players starting to sound like the Cowboys? Nothing is their fault.

Posted by: ouvan59 | May 6, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

"There must be extra stupid in the Pittsburgh water."

JG-CapsFan, I think it's a known side effect of Iron City and Iron City Light beers.

Posted by: greggwiggins | May 6, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I'll take "Punctuation" for $1,000, Alex.

Posted by: ouvan59 | May 6, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

thaking - get a "job"

Posted by: Caps16Fan | May 6, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

thaking:

Here's hoping that tonight--and for the rest of the post-season--you get to experience the same emotions as your little tin god "Super" Mario.

...the same emotions he experienced on Monday night, that is: gnashing your teeth in impotent frustration as your golden child gets outclassed (again) by the REAL Next One: OVECHKIN.

LOL. LOL. LOL.

BTW, wasn't Crosby supposed to be the Stalwart Guardian of Old-School Hockey Tradition, so anointed by The Great Don Cherry Himself?

If that's true, then why was he 81+c#1ng at the Refs to stop people from throwing hats onto the ice after OV's hat trick?!!?!?

Last time I checked, the hat thing was a Hockey Tradition TOO, you colossal d-bag!

Go crawl back under your bridge, troll... lest you get run over.

Crosby's new Theme Song: "Yellow Submarine" by the Beatles'...Oh, wait--I forgot: you're 12 years old, so you couldn't possibly remember who the Beatles were...

ROTGDFLMMFAO

www.die_pens_die.com.

**turns off flamethrower**

Posted by: Rhino40 | May 6, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

What a bunch of winey little girls the pens are.......this is hockey people.............MAN UP.......or GO HOME!

Posted by: jbatt01 | May 6, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Any word on Letang? Is he going to play? If not Green will be targeted. If we hadn't come back after losing the first two, I might be more confident. But I'd much rather do it this way than have to come back like we did against NY. If Caro and Anah. can knock off the top seeds, then the path to the cup will look pretty nice for us.

Posted by: rjma1 | May 6, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

and all you idiots bashing each other need to find something more productive to do.............

Posted by: jbatt01 | May 6, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Boudreau...WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....We're winning and the refs are still picking on us. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dan_comet | May 6, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

"5. Los Angeles Dodgers -- The name was only artful to the Manhattanites looking down on Brooklyn denizens."
I like that word den-o-zen. You frequent a place, you inhabit a place but you don't own the place. 'They are dodging work. They are dodging rent, looking for rent control. They are dodging our sales calls.' They dodge the line of sight from their masters high above.

Cox has a monopoly in my area of Alexandria. They package my phone, internet, and cable service for roughly a car payment. The only other choice is to miss the playoffs and use dial up. My complex has a 30 channel sat. deal with Comcast, basic only. The problem is day one of this service I've been getting a dozen automated sales calls a day. All hours, they wake me up and they interupt my playoff experience. I'm sure Cox sell customer info to who ever will pay. But they offer a service where you can pay to block annoying callers. But you've got to admit combining the descramble box with a DVR that is intergrated with the TV guide is brilliant, real evil genious. You rent and anything recorded is unusable if you fall behind on the rent.

Oh yah, Kunitz.... Bushwacker.... He's McCain. While Crosby is Bush Jr. Face, name, name, face. The white idealized face of beauty. Hitler would make him a SS Breeder. A Nazi youth. Brashear gets in a warm-up skirmish and he possibly misses the playoffs. He should be able to drive his SUV into Pitt arena and pay the damages as long as it was empty. If they're not going to put him in jail... let him play. But caining or bushwacking the goalie while SS Breeder camps out with red shirt protection, flicking in 1ft shots. Red shirt like a QB in camp, in case that is confusing. But if Green keeps head butting in goals and slacking on defense, Sid might as well have a red shirt.

But isn't that how it went? Jurcina gets called for two late penalties defending that crease. The second resulting in a last minute 6 on 4 while Kunitz tazers Varlimov and allows Crosby to stand in the blue and whack freely.

Posted by: chavez66 | May 6, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Mario Lemieux spent his entire career whining and crying. I figured he was giving Crosby lessons, but I guess the entire team is getting special playoff instructions from LePew

Posted by: lalalu1 | May 6, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

During the entire series with the Flyers the pens lived on interference when they weren't crying to the ref's. Don't get me wrong the Flyers imploded but it seems the pens get the benefit of the doubt on almost every call and non call. Same thing all season. It really seems like the NHL is dying for the Pens to win the Cup no matter how it's done.

Posted by: gdf4 | May 6, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse