Brooks Laich: 'This Team Is My Life'

Tarik's story for tomorrow's paper takes a look at hardworking Caps forward Brooks Laich, who registered his 18th goal of the season last night against the Panthers. Here's an early look:

Standing out on a star-laden team that features two former MVPs and the reigning one isn't easy, particularly for a third-line forward. But the Washington Capitals' Brooks Laich has done it by blocking 95-mph slapshots, creating havoc in the crease and killing penalties, tasks that complement headliners such as Alex Ovechkin.
"It's his work ethic and determination," said Coach Bruce Boudreau, who has overseen Laich's development from long-shot prospect to reliable NHL veteran. "But I still don't think we've seen the best of Brooks. I think he's going to be a 25-, 30-goal scorer in this league and become a staple for a while."

Read the full story on Laich's offensive production here.

The Caps are scheduled to practice tomorrow morning at St. Pete Times Forum in Tampa, so stay tuned for an update from Tarik at some point.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  March 18, 2009; 6:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List: Win Highlights, Varlamov's Mask
Next: Shotless Period Correction

Comments

Future captain. One of those guys I'll be most pleased to see his name on the Cup once we hopefully win it.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 18, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

FYI web guys at WaPo:

RSS feeds for Tarik's articles are coming two-three days later (or a week later). At the same time RSS feeds work fine for CapitalsInsider or DC Sports Bog.

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 18, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

*rushes off to get a Laich jersey* The guy's great. Looking forward to many more awesomeness from the guy. Goo, Brooksie!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 18, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Tarik forgot to mention Laich's popularity among female fans :))

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 18, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Great article, Tarik. Brooksey's a great leader for the team, a strong personality on and off the ice, and is going to be a wonderful captain some day. Nice to see him gettin' some love.

Posted by: RtR52 | March 18, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE Brooks Laich. Absolutely love him. And it doesn't hurt that he's hot.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 18, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Future captain indeed. I just love hearing Brooks's quotes especially his love for the team and the town.

Thanks for article Tarik, and showing Brookie some love.

Posted by: bajgirl | March 18, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Tarik forgot to mention Laich's popularity among female fans :))

Posted by: CodePoetry | March 18, 2009 6:34 PM

I LOVE Brooks Laich. Absolutely love him. And it doesn't hurt that he's hot.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 18, 2009 6:43 PM

It's the eeeyyyyeeessss, he def makes sure he's looking into the camera at all times, lol

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 18, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Calm down rachel216, there's enough of him for all of us I hope.

Posted by: bajgirl | March 18, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Calm down rachel216, there's enough of him for all of us I hope.

Posted by: bajgirl | March 18, 2009 6:46 PM

I bet I know what the answer would be if you asked ;)

Posted by: kittypawz | March 18, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Put Laich on the 1st line to be that net-crasher for Ovi.

Posted by: sargeantmofo | March 18, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Song to play in commemoration of last night's game: "That's The Way The Way The Way I Laich It, Uh Huh Uh Huh". (Yes, the old Casey and the Sunshine Boys hit from late 1975. Of course, I had to spell "like" as "Laich" in honor of Brooks.)

Yes, placing Kozlov and Laich (and Nylander) on the same line was a great idea. I've been lobbying for that combination since it worked so well at the Detroit game on Jan 31. Recipe for getting secondary scoring -- team up Kozzie and Laich.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 18, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Calm down rachel216, there's enough of him for all of us I hope.

Posted by: bajgirl | March 18, 2009 6:46 PM

I bet I know what the answer would be if you asked ;)

Posted by: kittypawz | March 18, 2009 6:50 PM

Posted by: bajgirl | March 18, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Hi Kitty

what's the answer?

Posted by: bajgirl | March 18, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm dense, but who is the "third" MVP on the current squad? I got OV and Feds, but who's the third. The lede implies three:

"Standing out on a star-laden team that features two former MVPs and the reigning one isn't easy, particularly for a third-line forward"

If there's a third guy I'm forgetting somehow, someone please let me know.

If, however, this sentence is meant to reference Alex's win twice (i.e., one of two and the reigning), then it really should say "features two former MVPs including the reigning one...). Can you fix this before I pick up the dead tree version tomorrow from my driveway?

Thanks a bunch.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | March 18, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov, Theodore and Ovechkin.

Posted by: rw-c | March 18, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

oldtimehockey: The third MVP is JOSE!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | March 18, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Dang it, rw-c, you beat me to it.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 18, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, rachel216, I'll try not to do it again. :-)

Posted by: rw-c | March 18, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Canes up 1-0 on Devils. Devs are playing Weekes tonight let's go Canes!

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 18, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

rw-c: Haha, it's okay. ;) Dave, Weekes in? Then the Canes MUST beat the Devils. Lucky them, they don't have to face Brodeur... question: why did they not keep Clemmensen up with them? He is a whole heckuva lot better than Kevin Weekes...

Posted by: rachel216 | March 18, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

For Rachel216, I'll admit I think Eric Fehr has the best eyes of the Caps. I think he'd look better if he grew out his hair. (After Fehr, I would vote for Ovi as next in the "Best Eyes" department.) Yes, as a female, I will judge the guys on eyes. (But, of course, I judge on statistics also.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 18, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

everyone loves Laich, even the guys (in a totally platonic way, claims Mr. RedBirdie!)

and remember back in 2004, Bondra was crying, we were crying, and everyone was crying "Who the eff is Brooks Laich?!?!"

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 18, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Also for Rachel216, I'm also surprised they (the Devils) didn't keep Clemmensen but sent him to the minors instead. He's better than plenty of goalies in the NHL. Clemmensen is a lot better than Weeks.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 18, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 18, 2009 7:49 PM

David Steckel was on consensus winner of the "hot guy" title when a group of my friends went a couple weeks ago. For my 16 year old sister, no surprise, Mike Green is THE pick for the high school crowd.

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 18, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 18, 2009 7:51 PM

Clemmensen didn't have to pass through waivers, but Weeks would have. But the Devils wanted to keep both of them (plus Marty) in the system, so, despite being better, Clemmensen was the obvious choice to get sent down.

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 18, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

As far as eyes go, Brooksy definitely has the best eyes. Ah, those beautiful blue eyes! CapsFan75, I CANNOT imagine Fehr with long hair! BTW, thanks for the explanation, RedBirdie.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 18, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, guys. Forgot about 60

Posted by: oldtimehockey | March 18, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Brooks Laich for president.

Posted by: austinsteve | March 18, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

i know we hated losing bonsai, but i sure am glad we got a quality guy in return. i know tarik is glad!

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 18, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

you can't imagine Fehr with long hair because he is so clearly losing his already! (which really quite sucks for him. He's only 23). I also think he just looks much older than he really is.

Anyone else notice that there's a disproportionate number of guys with blue eyes on the team? that, or they photoshopped a lot of pictures!

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 18, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Rachel on Redbirdie's explanation on why Clemmenson was sent down.

Poor Fehr -- already losing hair at 23.

On the subject of blue eyes, a Danish scientist did a study which has proved that all blue eyed people have a common ancestor from between 5,000 -- 10,000 years ago. Blue eyes resulted from a mutation. So, this means that Ovi and Laich and Fehr, not to mention my husband, are distant cousins to one another.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 18, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Hi Tarik,

In the legendary game for Laich w/ all the blocked shots, we actually lost 5-2 @ LA.

Posted by: 202-206 | March 18, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Ha, I'm sticking with stats. I don't care what the guys look like!

Posted by: Terptwin | March 18, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75, you want something really weird--while my brother ended up with blue eyes, I somehow got green. We've got more random gene mutations than any one family should have! (my husband, incidentally, also belongs to the blue-eyed clan)

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 18, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

To Redbirdie, I guess you and I technically belong to the blue eyed clan, even though we both have green eyes, being as my dad has blue eyes as well (and I inherited the recessive gene for blue eyes that I passed to the kids.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 18, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

8-19-21.

Posted by: redlineblue | March 18, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

someone else mentioned it first but i think laich would be dynOmite as 1st line RW. I really don't want to see Semin on that 1st line again ever. Occasional spurts of brilliance do not excuse the numerous shifts where that line cannot hold the puck in the offensive zone and ends up with too many quality chances on the other end.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 18, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

laich is better on the 2nd line with semin..and i don't know what occasional brilliance in the first line ur talking about...we're not so hot right now... but the ovie backis and sasha line is the SICKEST in the nhl..look it up... geez so negative

Posted by: masterx09 | March 19, 2009 4:04 AM | Report abuse

ahhhh the puck bunnies...bringing back memories of the college days.

Brooks is by far the hardest working guy on the team and is the overall team player. He deserves the "C". Not taking anything away from Clark but its hard to make a huge difference when you aren't suiting up with the guys every night.

Posted by: CapsFan44 | March 19, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Here's hoping the guys don't decide to sleepwalk through the game tonight. If we sleepwalk, we lose. That simple. if the guys are jazzed, they can take on just about anyone.

Yes, I want to win for the rest of the season. I want that conference second seed back, and I'm not cool with coasting. It shouldn't be impossible given the Caps' schedule the rest of the way, and I sure want to see them try.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 19, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I've been looking forward to getting a "C" put on my Laich jersey ever since I bought it... I tend to get a lot of crap being a female fan (a lot of people assume I only like him because he's hot), but a lot of love as well when I'm at games. I'm glad to see him getting the attention he deserves :)

Posted by: kellobellow | March 19, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm happy for the ladies and their man-candy on the ice. As long as we don't see any provocative Caps calendars in the near future...=)

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 19, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Oooh, great idea LeftCoastCaps! Caps PR People are you listening??? Ha.

Posted by: mikesgirl1 | March 19, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse