Laich to be reevaluated tomorrow

The team has not provided an official update on Brooks Laich, who was struck in the face by a puck this morning. I do not know the extent of his injuries, but I'm hearing that he's expected to be okay and will be reevaluated tomorrow morning before the team decides whether he can face the Penguins.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 23, 2010; 6:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals' statement regarding steroids probe
Next: Morning roundup: Pens and Caps meet again

Comments

Get well, Brooksie!
And if you do play tomorrow, remember to keep your head up and on a swivel - that crosschecking after the final horn, nut puncher is coming to town.
And he's bringing Orprick, too.
Only one more thing to say---

Go Caps!!!

Posted by: chucktownCAPSfan | March 23, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone checked the puck for damages?

Posted by: piratusus | March 23, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Nice!

Posted by: HappyWeagle | March 23, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

The steroid investigation is quite intriguing. It raises a lot of questions in my mind. Namely, why wouldn't the Caps force Nagel to cease from mentioning the Caps in his promotional materials once they heard that he was connected with Thomas? After all, they only need to go downstairs to see he has them listed on his door. At the latest the would've known of his connection to Thomas last Fall when they were interviewed by the Polk County officials; possibly earlier. The police knew of Nagel's connection with Thomas soon after they arrested him last Spring.

It makes me wonder if the Caps cooperated with the authorities to get Nagel on drug solicitation charges as part of a sting. I don't know the details of the charges but seven counts of "solicitation to deliver a controlled substance" implies that they have evidence that he tried to distribute it.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | March 23, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Steckel Bradley and Laing reunited to shut down the Pens

Posted by: wendel2 | March 23, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update on Laich's condition. Give him our best on a speedy recovery!

Posted by: Terptwin | March 23, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Gee whiz, now we can refer to John Carlson as Killer Carlson.

Seriously, get well, Brooksie.

Now, with Walker and Gordon and possibly Laich being out tomorrow, it's a good think we have all the extra players. I noticed the earlier practice lineups that placed Laich & Flash both on the 1st line. (It's as if Bruce subconsciously knew something would happen.) Glad that Brooks is not seriously injured but may be iffy for tomorrow.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 23, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Playing Flash and Semin together on the second line doesn't give them much net presence. I wonder if BB moves Fehr up and puts Flash on the third line.

Posted by: zmega | March 23, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Flash, Semin and BMo would make a wonderful triples combo for skating, passing and shooting, but I don't think they make a good hockey line.

First off, don't rule out a Hershey call up. There's cap space.

Ovi-Backie-Knuble is a given. Laing-Steckel-Bradley seems to be a given as #4. The other two lines don't need to be rated as #2 and #3 but simply as the "other two lines." And the only thing that you need to do is split up Chimera and Fehr and split up Flash and Semin. So, obviously, Chimera plays with Semin with either Belanger or BMo and Flash goes with Fehr with the other center.

I posted a month or so back that Fehr will outpoint Flash over the next ten years. I want to reiterate that. Put a gun to my head to pick one or the other for next ten years and I'll take Eric Fehr. Even if he doesn't outpoint Flash, he brings way more intangibles. Flash kinda doesn't have intangibles. He's kinda WYSIWYG as they said about software in the old days.

Does w_t_f fehr agree with that?

BTW, I am rocking the red with Chilean cab in advance of tomorrow's game. I understand Laich "gave at the office" but let's be clear that us fans are giving too.

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 23, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Someone told me recently, "It's like Crosby plays for Duke." That's it exactly.

Finish your checks...then smile and wave boys. Then smile and wave.

Posted by: terlin1 | March 23, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Lets see, hit in the face with a puck so I presume that this will be classified as a lower body injury.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | March 23, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

BTW, it would totally figure after 30 years of Cap rooting if they go extra deep into Playoffs this year. Sunday, I leave for CA to start work Monday. I am there thru Apr 15th so miss end of season and Game #1. Come home for a week then and maybe two if current house offer (received tonight) goes through but then we'd be out here and into temp living until the new "crib" is ready mid-to-late June.

Yes, during SC Finals. And the temp living places don't get Versus.

I am hoping for Sharks, Kings, Coyotes or Canucks in Finals so at least there'd be some later games maybe. It's hard to start a new job and say, "Boss, I need off to watch hockey," especially when you are on the West Coast.

Starting next year when settled into the new house will be record and watch at normal (7 pm) time. Until then, I remain, yours truly:

tominlimbotosomeextent

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 23, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be surprised if Laich is playing tomorrow night, wearing a visor to protect his face. Just as long as the puck didn't fracture a bone.

Posted by: timmyv38 | March 23, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Everyone seems to love keeping Chimmer and Fehr together. Or at least when B Mo is there.

We're probably stuck with our "ginger boys" together on the second line unless Laich is back. He's questionable for tomorrow but at least he isn't injured seriously and will be back soon.

Will there be a Hershey callup? We have cap space but I think the team's allowed only 4 non-emergency callups while the minor league season is going on. Or would it now be emergency since we have no more spare forwards?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 23, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

One comment......TEB is not longer allowed to mention any sort of streak, games played or anything as he may have jinxed Laich my mentioning said streak.

Posted by: RichC3 | March 23, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

The chances are probably better than even of getting one of the Western teams you named in the finals. Those teams are the best in the Western Conference, aside from Chicago.

The Avalanche (Mountain standard) are in there, too, which would be the best alternative, aside from the Western teams.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 23, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

@CapsXXVI

Thought that would be an "upper body injury".

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 23, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I'd prefer see Flash with Fehr, rather than Chimera. For whatever reason, the two of them play extremely well together. Although I would never think of Chimera as a second-liner, but putting him with Semin and BMo would be an interesting line. His speed and toughness could work well with the skill that both Semin and BMo has.

In terms of standing, the Devils won tonight - which means the Caps won't be able to clinch the East until Sunday. Just delaying the inevitable.

Posted by: timmyv38 | March 23, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

@CapsXXVI

Thought that would be an "upper body injury".

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 23, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Not when the Caps coaching staff is telling you whats wrong with the players.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | March 23, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

I love the Washington Capitals.

Who else loves them?

Posted by: richmondphil | March 23, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Colin Campbell?

Posted by: zmega | March 23, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

@CapsXXVI

I remember the time that Tom Poti was out this year with a "body injury". Not even specifying upper or lower. No clue as to what was wrong.

Since when (or should we say "Dupuis quand" since Pittsburgh has a Dupuis on their team) did facial injuries become "lower body"? Well, leave it to Caps management.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 23, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

@timmyv38

Flash and Fehr are a great combination, I must admit. I recall that pair worked well with a variety of centers last year (Backstrom, Fedorov, Stecks, Nylander) and this year it's been Morrison, mostly or Belanger.

On Devils winning tonight. It seems that everyone can beat the Blue Jackets -- except the Caps.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 23, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

It was interesting to read about Theo's run in with the drug screeners. His being a fellow "follicly challenged" guy makes me even more of a fan.

Posted by: zmega | March 23, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

ATL lost to Boston.

That's a huge blow to them.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 23, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl
Congrats on new job and offer on house (in FL??you have the magic touch, dude)
Maybe the slingbox contraption I hear advertised to enable you to watch?

Also, I just posted an extra pair of tix for tomorrow's game on ticket exchange for less than average sale price - $88per. Please let it be Caps fan who get them.

Posted by: bluejeener1 | March 23, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Flash, Fehr and Federov had an extremely hot streak for about 10 games, if I remember right. I would have no problem with Flash/Fehr being together as much as possible, as long as they keep the great chemistry up.

Posted by: timmyv38 | March 23, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

LOL.

Some owners need to just learn to shut up.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 23, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

LOL.

Some owners need to just learn to shut up.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 23, 2010 10:36 PM

What an idiot. Sounds like he didn't even watch the play.

Posted by: timmyv38 | March 23, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Does w_t_f fehr agree with that?

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 23, 2010 8:38 PM |

HE DOES INDEED!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | March 23, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

@CapsXXVI

Posted by: CapsFan75 | March 23, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Lol, I can only imagine having a doctor like that.

Patient: So doc how were the test results? Am I clean?

Doctor: Let's just say you have a lower body injury.

Patient: Wait what does that mean? Oh man, I knew I should have never gone to Mexico.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | March 23, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

The Wirtz family have always been idiots. Rocky's father once fired his coach (Billy Reay) by slipping a pink slip under his door on Thanksgiving. Rocky, by all acouunts, has been a huge improvement but he's apparently still a bit of a dope.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | March 23, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

ccCapsfan - I agree. After Ovi's hit, I was surprised about how much Quenville cried about it, granted he lost a good player, but he never mentioned that Campbell got hurt making a bad hockey play. Then after Seabrook got hit he was crying and whining even more. That made me think that Chicago's biggest weakness may not be in goal, but a lack of toughness (see Ottawa Senators) and that that trait was instilled in the team by the Q. Now, it seems that the weakness comes from the very top of the organization. I will enjoy watching the Hawks flame out in the playoffs and then sign LaRoque (sp?) for next season.

Posted by: ds_kelly | March 24, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Laich might temporarily need to wear a half shield (http://www.hockeygiant.com/bau09rbe5hlfshld.html), or at least some sort of "face bar" for a bit. With the speed of hockey shots these days I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the courage not to wear some sort of face protection today. He's been amazingly durable, so I hope he can go tonight. :)

Posted by: blackjack65 | March 24, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse