Caps, NHL React to Steroids Report (Updated)

Last update: 3:24 p.m.

The NHL and Capitals just released statements in response to the report that a man arrested yesterday for steroid possession claims he sold performance-enhancing drugs to Capitals and Nationals players.

NHL's Statement

"The Washington Capitals have no knowledge of any aspect of this allegation. Capitals players were subjected to no-notice testing three times in each of the past two seasons pursuant to the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and there was no indication of any improper conduct or wrongdoing.

"Even though there are no specifics provided in the story and we have no reason, at this point, to believe the allegations are true, the National Hockey League takes all matters of this nature very seriously and will conduct a prompt investigation."

-- NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly

Capitals' Statement

"We have no reason to believe there is any merit to this story, but the National Hockey League and the Washington Capitals take all such allegations seriously. Capitals players have fully participated in the NHL's random drug testing program, and at no point has a Capitals player tested positive. In addition our players have been tested at international events, such as World Championships and Olympics. We welcome and will fully cooperate with the NHL's investigation."

-- Team president Dick Patrick

Reactions from Brooks Laich, Steve Eminger and Ted Leonsis after the jump:

Laich: 'We're Not Worried'

I just got off the phone with Brooks Laich, who is the NHL Players' Association representative for the Caps. He said he was made aware of the steroids report early this morning and is in the process of calling all of his teammates. Here's most of what Laich had to say:

Q: Do you have any idea what the suspect in the steroids case is talking about?
A: I have no idea. As far we know it's just speculation. The guy didn't say if it was 10 years ago that he sold to the Capitals. Whether it was five ago that he sold. We have no idea. I've already been in touch with our players, and there's nothing on our side to report.

Q: What was your reaction to the sheriff coming out and repeating what a suspect said without offering any additional evidence?
A: I watched the video of it. I was kind of surprised he would say it. But he was also very careful in saying it because of the wake it would cause. As far we're concerned as players, it's just accusations of a desperate man trying to get some publicity, I think. But we'll see how it plays out over the next couple of days.

Q: You said you've been calling each and every one of your teammates. What's been the reaction?
A: I just woke up to a phone call a little while ago [Laich is in Saskatchewan, which is two hours behind]. My phone rang about 8:30 a.m. So I'm trying to catch up on the situation. Guys are surprised. No one knows anything. I feel bad calling guys because you're not implying that someone has done something. But you have to make sure to clean the slate. The general answer has been, 'No, I haven't seen or heard of any of it,' and it would be impossible to get it by our locker room if there was because it's too tight, there's too much stuff going on. You would know if someone was doing it. But no one has seen a trace of it or heard a rumor of it. So we're not worried.

Q: Have you ever of Richard Thomas?
A: No, never.

Q: Are you worried about what this might do to hockey's/the Caps' reputation?
A: We're not worried because I don't think any of our guys have done it or have tested positive for it. The last two seasons we've been tested three times each, which is the maximum allowed. Two, we're not worried because he hasn't specified whether it was 10 years ago. He said he's been selling for 10-plus years. He just threw a name out there and knew the media was going to run with it.

Q: People always say that steroids are not prevalent in hockey. Do you buy that?
A: I can honestly say, I have never seen a trace of steroids, from bantam to midget to junior to here. I have never heard of a guy take a steroid, and I've never seen a guy take a steroid.

Eminger: 'I've Never Seen It'

I also had a very brief conversation with former Capitals defenseman Steve Eminger, who played in Washington from 2002-2008. He's now a member of the Panthers and also had a short stint with the Lightning.

"It's pretty shocking," Eminger said. "I never once heard -- I'm not just talking about the Capitals, I'm talking about hockey in general -- a guy talk about steroids."

When I asked him about HGH (human growth hormone), which is hard to detect in urine tests, he said, "I don't even know what the heck HGH is. No. The only thing I take is coffee. I go with black coffee or mix a Red Bull with a Gatorade. But I've cut down on the Red Bull."

"I've never seen it," he added. "But I don't think anyone would be doing it in the middle of the room like, 'Hey, how it going guys,' like they show in the movies. We get tested. I can't see anyone taking that risk of possibly getting caught. It's a pretty hard punishment -- the suspension and what it does to your reputation."

Sheriff on Caps' Connection

Polk County sheriff Grady Judd, who announced the arrests late last night, called into AM 640 Toronto's Leafs Lunch today to discuss allegations that the Capitals and Nationals purchased steroids. Check out a clip below:

Leonsis: 'Trust but Verify'

Capitals majority owner Ted Leonsis just posted this update on his blog: "I hope you all understand that while there is research and investigating going on that we will have to be silent as we cooperate and hope to exonerate our team and players from these allegations. Thank you for understanding."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 27, 2009; 1:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brashear on Steroids Report: 'I Would Really Doubt It'
Next: Kozlov Likely Headed to Russia

Comments

From previous thread:

I didn't hear Elliot talking about it and which players he speculated about, but no matter what happens no Capitals player should go on his show again. Since Green got is mohawk done live on his show you would think he was tight with at least Greenie. If there was proof and certain players were found to be guilty then Elliot can talk about it, but where the story is now, not cool.

@mrszilla: I understand pigs aren't flying past your window, but you can't pick up a newspaper without a report of swine flu. (thanks, I'll be here all week)

Posted by: fanohock1 | May 27, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

This will probably take some time to sort out what actually happened an if it's even current.

On another note, just picked up my tickets to game 1 of the Bears/Moose series.

Posted by: Stu_c | May 27, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I am not the least bit surprised that Laich is the Caps NHLPA rep. Not really surprised by what he said either, but I thought his last paragraph was dead on:

"If someone was doing it, he would come in at the end of the summer looking huge. And you would have already written a story about it, 'Jeez, he looks great. Look how big and fast he is.' But by midseason, he would have shrunk down again because we have testing. There hasn't been any of that. So as far as I'm concerned, it's just a rumor and it doesn't concern any of our present guys."

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 27, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I think this guy probably sold steroids to Matt Cooke, and Sergie Gonchar...he doesnt know they play for Pittsburgh now.

Honest mistake...

Posted by: SA-Town | May 27, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Brooksie is awesome

Posted by: arcassells | May 27, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I never think a team should have a name that doesn't end in S: Moose. I know, it's plural but I still find it weird. If they were the Mice I'd find it weird.

Posted by: saintex | May 27, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

@mrzilla for fanohock.....enjoy the meatloaf and tip your waitresses!!

Posted by: bhound69 | May 27, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Juice? is that where he got his nickname? lol

The only player that really needs to get roided up is Schultzie.

Posted by: cstanton1 | May 27, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, maybe he sold to John Kordic....Of course, the dealer would only have been a teenager at that time.

Posted by: Longgoneposter | May 27, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Re last post:
Kovalev is an amazingly skilled player, who sometimes becomes a little disinterested. Although, it's hard to imagine him ever becoming disinterested on a line with Ovie and Backstrom. Great wrist shot. Great passer. Great anticipation and view of the ice. "Sometimes" questionable work ethic.

That describes his years in Pittsburgh, as well as his current rep in Montreal.

Posted by: PensFan98 | May 27, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Yea, that's the last thing we need. We need new players who don't need to be prodded to play their best. Kozzie being gone is ok, still kind of hoping Feds will stay to play mentor for another season.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 27, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Kordic again? he wasn't on roids....he was a coke head, a drunk.....freaked out in Toronto hotel hepped up on crack and speedballs. Kordic got axed from NHL for real drug use not HGH.

Posted by: bhound69 | May 27, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I vote any time someone has a "question work ethic" moment (Semin....) we let Matt Bradley take some whacks at them.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 27, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Honest mistake...

Posted by: SA-Town | May 27, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

rofl! awesome!

Posted by: cstanton1 | May 27, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

ok, someone needs to link to the full Kordic story. Nothing like reading about coke heads freaking out for a little mid-day reading.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 27, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

@redbird and all

On August 8, 1992, several police officers were called in to restrain Kordic, who was trashing a room at the Motel Maxim in L'Ancienne-Lorette, Quebec. Following a struggle with police, Kordic was taken to hospital in an ambulance, where he lost consciousness and subsequently died of heart failure and a collapsed lung. A coroner's inquest later determined that Kordic had 0.1 milligrams of cocaine in his system, which according to Dr. Georges Miller, was the most cocaine he had ever seen in a person's blood in his twenty years of practice. At his time of death, Kordic was only 27 years old.

Posted by: bhound69 | May 27, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

redbirdie- tell me about it. that seems to be the one major problem our youngest seem to have (Ovie aside). I understand getting rallied up because of a big hit or a goal but if you are just waiting for something to get you going you won't get far. maybe its just fear/lack of experience, but we need to acquire 1-2 guys to counteract this whole mentality.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 27, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _stevo | May 27, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Kordic was on steroids also. Not just china white.

Posted by: cstanton1 | May 27, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Kordic played 7 games with the Caps and amassed 101 penalty mins. Easy math says thats a "game-misconduct" a night. He was an animal with many problems, his departure from the Caps was from his massive crashes from the drugs he was using and he would miss practice/games. Just wouldn't show up, no calls , or anything. Polin (GM) gave him a couple of chances to get his $%&T together, but it didn't work out.

Posted by: bhound69 | May 27, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

bhound, thanks. (I just e-mailed my dad and asked him how much cocaine the is, and his reply was "more than I've ever seen in a person." and he's seen a lot of dead guys with a boatload of coke in their system)

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 27, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton

He probably was....my point is, why bring his name up in this forum when his demise wasn't steroids? Someone from an earlier post did mention Kordic.

Posted by: bhound69 | May 27, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

flash looked big at the end of the summer and shrank. he was easily pushed off the puck last year. i don't think what this guy said has merit and i know steroids aren't common in the nhl. i'm not saying flash did anything. however, the big during the summer and get in worse shape as the season wears on argument doesn't work entirely.

anyway, i don't think the caps are due for a steroid scandal. however, if it comes down to it, i think stretch should lie on that grenade for the good of the team. wouldn't that be a hilarous story?

Posted by: am_jim | May 27, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Flash also had a case of walking pneumonia. I lost ten pounds myself from it in early 2008. Its brutal.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 27, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

"China white" refers to heroin, not cocaine.

These Habs rumors are crazy. Kovalev commanding 7 mil from MTL? Komi holding out for 6 mil? Putting Koivu in the gutter?

Posted by: richmondphil | May 27, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Gill and Berard are the only ones I know of who have been busted on steroids. BUT, I offer this:

I've always thought the Bertuzzi attack had a little juiec attached to it. I remember watching Bertuzzi, and seein a large, tall, lean man. Then, one year, he was a monster. He looked bigger, he looked thicker and his game got a LOT better. He put up two seasons in a row where he had 85 and 97 points. Big turnaround. Ok, so he came of age, right? Then he beats down Moore, just loses his mind, (because the hit on Naslund was NEVER as bad as what the pay back was, not even close). Bertuzzi has never looked as big again, and his game came no where close to those two years. Sure, his game might of dropped off because of the 'trauma', but still...

Posted by: oo7 | May 27, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Peter Bondra wouldnt even take Flu-Medicine because he was so paranoid of testing positive for something...

Posted by: SA-Town | May 27, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Bertuzzi's breakout season is mostly credited to his linemates, particularly a healthy, peaked Naslund.

Was he juiced? Who knows...

Posted by: richmondphil | May 27, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

@phil

I think cstanton meant to say "mother of pearl" or "ivory flake"

Posted by: bhound69 | May 27, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 27, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@SA town

You would think the NHL or someone would list over the counter remedies that do not have a chance in hell of showing up on a test as illegal.

Posted by: bhound69 | May 27, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

@phil

Riggggghhhhhht

Posted by: bhound69 | May 27, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Are you trying to insinuate something? I'm sorry for having a concentration in Eastern Religions and having to discuss about the opiate trade. I guess that makes me a junkie.
"China white." It's in the name... Coca leaves do not grow in China, and white refers to the purity level.

You can learn this TV...

Let's talk about hockey.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 27, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

@oo7
reminds me of Brady Andrson of the O's. He was average for years and all of a sudden got huge one year and led the majors in homers, and after that, he went back to mediocrity and was never seen again.

Posted by: Andoy | May 27, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

If the Pens win the cup, will Hossa be wearing a Pens jersey next year?

hahaha.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 27, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Well I was joking around, you corrected somebody on the drug lingo, I kidded by adding a couple of others in there, ha-ha..(i guess not so ha-ha)

AND YES lets talk hockey.......

Posted by: bhound69 | May 27, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

@oo7

Posted by: Andoy | May 27, 2009 3:08 PM |

I was a big Anderson fan, so I take offense. haha.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 27, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

AND YES lets talk hockey.......

Posted by: bhound69 | May 27, 2009 3:10 PM |

I am extremely sick right now (SWINE FLU!), and my sarcasm detector failed to go off. sorry.

Posted by: richmondphil | May 27, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

While the steroid story is all very interesting, I think Brooksie hit the nail on the head that its a desperate man trying to avoid as much prison as possible.

Now, how about some confirmation on the Kozlov KHL rumor...

Posted by: oldtimehockey | May 27, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

is this really a big bust? 200k doesnt sound like a lot for drugs. this guy is the biggest in central florida? big deal. might make sense that he sold to the Nats in Viera and a ton of them live down there. it doesnt seem like a big enough operation to extend to the Caps who pass through every now and then. seems pretty regional

and just to recklessly speculate. let me throw Ben Clymer out there. Played in TB. Was ok/good. Came here and sucked. Seems to make as much sense as anyone.

This guy is looking to make a scene. If it was a big fish (Ovie), I'm sure he'd blurt it out. Why half a-- it and just give non blockbuster team names?

Posted by: makplan20002 | May 27, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I just listened to the tape of the Sheriff...

This question needed to be asked..

"What gave you the authority to go public with the DC teams names when it was nothing more then speculation from an alleged criminal? Shouldnt you do more homework before you make national headlines, and put players and organizations in a negative spotlight with zero evidence to support the statement?"

Posted by: SA-Town | May 27, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

the answer to that is the sheriff is looking for some pub. already doing interviews. don't legit law enforcement agencies stay mum on most things?

Posted by: makplan20002 | May 27, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

@sa town YEAH!

@ makplan YEAH!

@Phil Hope you feel better!

~~thought~~ Brady Anderson, LOLLOLOLOL

Posted by: bhound69 | May 27, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Remember too that unlike the police, the sheriff is an ELECTED office. Of course he wants publicity!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | May 27, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

This is same sheriff that was "unconcerned" that a suspect was shot 68 times. He is totally looking for publicity, he's just taking the opportunity to brag about this arrest so he's creating a firestorm about it. Meanwhile our guys get caught in the crosshairs.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 27, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I bet this is how it went down in the " interrogation room"...

SHERIFF: You sell steroids?

R.Thomas: Yes, I am the Pfizer of illegal steroids.

SHERIFF: You sell to pro athletes?

R.Thomas: Sure..all of them

SHERIFF: I want specific teams..unless you want a bath from Mr. Waterboard..I want teams...

R.Thomas: Well..what teams do you hate most..you want headlines?

SHERIFF: I hate that damn Ovechkin and his hot sticks scoring all over Tampa Bay..we havent sniffed a win vs them in years

R.Thomas: Ok fine..I sold to the Washington Nationals

SHERIFF: Nationals?? But Ovechkin plays for the Capitals.

R. Thomas: Oh..sorry..OK..fine, I sold to them too.

SHERIFF: Thanks..someone get St. Pete Times on the phone..I got a "hot stick" of a story...

End of conversation...

Posted by: SA-Town | May 27, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Damned hick sheriffs. He should go back to mosquitoe controll and finding wandering alzheimer's patients.

Nothing like jumping the gun or anything. Arrest the guy, interview him, broadcast allegations against two distant teams, then investigate.

Posted by: Greg S. | May 27, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

@ SA-Town:

Well said. I'm so beyond pissed at the way the Polk County Sheriff has handled this whole situation.

"If he was lying, why didn't he pick a local team?"

Better question, sheriff: "Why are you trying to stir the pot over allegations which have no suffice evidence (as yet) of being remotely true?"

Totally ridiculous. What an asshat.

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | May 27, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Lets not debate whether or not cops are stupid, and just go on the assumption that they are. Works for me.

The thing about the KHL is that its culling the weak out of the herd, so to speak. There are guys that just don't command as much money anymore. Federov isn't worth 4 million next year. But a KHL team willing to pay that almost makes it stupid to turn down. Tax free? That's almost a no brainer. It will begin to draw European talent too. The money's good, and Russia aint so far from Slovakia, Czech republic, Sweden... its no further than Toronto to Tampa, or Vancouver to Atlanta. NHL talent, even aging, puts butts in the seats, and more players offered huge sums may begin to venture over. NHL has no real TV contract, they have a small cable network affiliate, VS, and as we've seen they've been trying to change it. Make it more Euro friendly, perhaps? Less 'fighting' and thuggery in favor of stick handling and playing from the perimeter?

hmm

Posted by: oo7 | May 27, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@SA town.....your a GD genius. I would like the opportunity to audtion for the "sherrif" part in the movie...... I smell Oscar babeeeeeee!!!

Posted by: bhound69 | May 27, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Not surprising at all that players are signing in KHL. They are way overpaying guys whose names are well known but are far past their prime. All we need is for them to decide Nylander was once good enough to pay 6 million.

Posted by: Stu_c | May 27, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

What kind of answers would you expect from players regarding steroids?

I think maybe around three athletes have fessed up. The other 99.9% lie to protect their brotherhood, even if they personally don't take steroids. Look at ARod, Manny, Barry B...all juiced. Palmeiro. Clemens. All these athletes are just so accustomed to givin BS answers to the press. Hockey is probably at the point baseball was at in about 1999. These guys should be tested weekly.

Posted by: hockeypuck1 | May 27, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Moose might have a sellout for game 1 on Saturday. Should be a good one.

Posted by: Stu_c | May 27, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm not here to talk about the past. I want to talk about the future.

Posted by: MyJobsMyCredit | May 27, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

The odd thing about this story is that the suspect names the Caps and Nats. If he is lying (which I hope) wouldn't you think he'd say teams like the Yankees or Red Sox? Just sounds odd to mention the Washington teams... Does anyone know if he has any connection to the DC area at all?

Posted by: kcbrichmond | May 27, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

The Moose had a good team a few years ago. Apparently they still do.

I spent a lot of time in Peg and went to a lot of games. It's a fun place to go to if you're ever there.

Posted by: Greg S. | May 27, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, they did a good job on the new arena and the team is much better now than whey then first arrived. They've opened the upper bowl for this game (lower sold out already) and it should be a full sellout of 15,000 by Saturday.

Posted by: Stu_c | May 27, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

@bhound69, redbirdie:

Here's an article about the death of John Kordic. And yes, he was on steroids as well as "real" drugs.

Posted by: GusDaMan | May 27, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Here is the order in which I would drug test the Caps, based on suspician:

Backstrum
Semin
Green
Ovechkin
Fleischman
Brash
Erskine
Laich
Morrison ("Biting" rage vs. NY?)
Boudreau (Timebomb at press conferences)

Posted by: hockeypuck1 | May 27, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I still say this story, and this drug-peddler are a fabricated bunch of crap ..... and I still think it's getting waaaaaay too much coverage here, with the constant updates.

That said, maybe it's time for a game of speculating who is guilty, just in case the story is true ;o) I'll take:

Green - His head looks bigger. And he played more aggressively this year.

Semin - His neck width looks bigger to me. He doesn't play with reckless aggression, but he does look a tad bigger.

Kozlov - Just a hunch

Posted by: PensFan98 | May 27, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to go with Malkin (you need drugs to be that ugly) and Orpik (I think the reasoning is quite obvious).

Posted by: Moose33 | May 27, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

@PensFan98 & hockeypuck1: Like flies to crap, like flies to crap. You Pens fans are like flies to crap.

Shoo, fly, shoo!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | May 27, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

lol @ lefty.

Sorry Skippy ... I like the Caps, and also the info that Tarik delivers ... so I think I'll continue to visit. Sorry to disappoint. ;o)

Posted by: PensFan98 | May 27, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Honest mistake...

Posted by: SA-Town | May 27, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

if so, maybe the Caps should juice up because Matt Cooke and "Sergie" Gonchar BEAT THE CAPITALS AND ADVANCED TO THE CUP FINALS

Posted by: puckheaded1 | May 27, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

@Moose

Orpik's eyes are as big as Dennis Hoppers afters a 3 day meth binge...he is a user.

Posted by: SA-Town | May 27, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Hope there is no validity to this story because IF THERE IS.....it means this team can't even CHEAT and get it right...LOL!

Maybe steroid injections were one of Teds OLD plans.

Posted by: caphcky | May 27, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it was just some of the Caps' crappy players from our crappy teams between 2003-2007. As for the Nats well the higher they are the harder they fall, so this won't be such a damaging fall for them.

Posted by: pdo3 | May 27, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

SA-

Want to write a script for what would happen if we met these trolls in real life? Thinking it would be a mix of awkward "I thought she was 18" scenario with a sprinkle of "seriously, who let you use a computer" and a dash of "don't breed".

Posted by: mrszilla | May 27, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

@pensfan98: You may visit but refrain from wearing your powder blue jersey. =)

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | May 27, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

"You may visit but refrain from wearing your powder blue jersey"

It's a deal. I hate those things!

Posted by: PensFan98 | May 27, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I would like to know if this guy sold anything to the Pittsburgh Penguins, since they were on a late surge and seems to get stronger during the late season and playoffs. Also, how did Gonchar recover so quickly at his age in the playoffs? Some one should do an investigation on them as well. Maybe this guy will "squeel" on the Penguins for the right price!

Posted by: DuhHumanity | May 28, 2009 2:00 AM | Report abuse

if you don't insist

Posted by: suesue8709 | May 28, 2009 5:05 AM | Report abuse

Frankly, I never bought the line that hockey is somehow immune from this issue. HGH is next to impossible to test for so all the league testing stuff means nothing. Now, the Florida story is pretty bizarre and the redneck sheriff has handled things pretty irresponsibly. However, no one should be surprised when hockey players are implicated in these things.

Posted by: dcsportsdude | May 28, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I"m confused as to why this guy was arrested for having steriods in the first place. They aren't illegal, just illegal for athletes to take but what is legal/illegal is decided by each sporting organization and the law shouldn't have anything to do with it. Has florida passed some sort of law where selling steriods is actually illegal? I do know they have a pretty tough drug testing program for their high school athletes, probably the most intense in the country but I want to know when this became a police issue.

Posted by: finnmeg | May 28, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse