Laich's Agent: 'We're talking' (Updated)

I just got off the phone with Roland Thompson, the agent for Brooks Laich. He said he hasn't talked to the Capitals since Thursday but expects to have some communication with them again today.

So the negotiations aren't stalled, but the sides are not close to a deal, either. Laich, who is coming off a career year, obviously is seeking to maximize his earning potential based on his breakout season. The Caps, meantime, are being cautious seeing as how Laich has posted one 20-goal season.

"We're talking," Thompson said. "We have a perceived market value. They have one. When we get to the same page, it will get done. If it doesn't, he becomes a restricted free agent tomorrow at noon and that means any club in the NHL can make an offer sheet. If we agree to that offer sheet [the Caps] are subject to compensation. For Brooks, it would probably be around a second round draft pick."

Laich would have to sign an offer sheet that paid him $1,307,812-$2,615,625 annually to trigger a second round draft pick as compensation. Laich, by the way, won an arbitration award of $725,000 last summer.

"Barring [a deal with Washington], we have three options," Thompson added. "One is to continue to negotiate; another is to file for arbitration. And if we don't do that, all offers are off the table and we'll continue to negotiate, and if we can't get anything done, we don't go to camp."

I don't think it's going to come to option No. 3. But it also doesn't sound like Laich and the Caps are going to strike a deal in the coming hours. Look for this one to potentially drag out, unless, of course, another team steps in and forces the Caps' hand.

More on this and the other pending free agents later.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 30, 2008; 11:29 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clark: 'Skating will be the big test'
Next: Updates on Huet and Green (Updated)

Comments

What time can signing be done...ie midnight or noon eastern time. ?

Posted by: Rich C | June 30, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

we need to sign Laich and Huet
Green too if the price is right
let Federov play with JJ in the russian league

Posted by: wendel | June 30, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

thanks for the update tarik; try to contact huet's agent and see how that's progressing

Posted by: Justini | June 30, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Tarik, do you think that players (any NHL players, not just Caps) that have one good, or even marginal, break out season are justified in their contractual demands? Just wondering.

Posted by: oo7 | June 30, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Makes sense Sombrero... I just wish Green would take a deal and stop messing around. It would be interesting to see what McPhee offered him - 3 years... 3 mil? Similar to Semin's contract... 4 mil? I know players are all about the money, but if they were smart, they would suck it up and live off 3 or 4 mil a year (must be hard for them) and have their team be successful by signing other great players.

I guess the story on the Caps website says we have 20 mil left over to pay Green, Huet, Morrison, Feds, and Laich... if Pothier is not physically able to play, that number will increase.

So:

5 mil - Green
5 mil - Huet
2 mil - Feds
1.5 mil - Laich
1.5 mil - Morrison

That leaves 5 mil left for some spending money and some new ice... maybe even a new Credit Card system for the Verizon Center... that 1980 system that always breaks needs to go.

Granted, the Cap is based on the average amount of money paid each year for the entire life of the contract.

Posted by: 828 | June 30, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Talking on June 30 about not going to camp...gotta love those greedy agents.

If Green signs, Laich signs. Those two are best buddies. Get 'er dun!

Posted by: Jill | June 30, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

The agent saying second round pick compensation means his asking price is in this range: $1,307,812-$2,615,625

Last year abritration, this year already mentioning training camp holdout...agents really do take the fun out of hockey.

Posted by: Stormblue | June 30, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

"If we agree to that offer sheet [the Caps] are subject to compensation. For Brooks, it would probably be around a second round draft pick."

$1,307,811 - $2,615,623
2nd round pick

Hrm...one has to wonder which end of the range he's looking for. To me, if it's on the lower end the Caps likely will pony up and get it done. If it's on the high end it seems like an offer sheet is in his future and the Caps will have to make a pretty tough decision.

Posted by: Jeff | June 30, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Wow, that's all I have to say.

Posted by: Jordan | June 30, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I'm dying a slow, tantalizing, signing-less summer death. I NEED NOURISHMENT AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Posted by: Ben | June 30, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

nothing new

Posted by: Sven | June 30, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Why do I keep having flashbacks of the firesale?????

Posted by: Ken | June 30, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

It's the typical first good year, on a contract year song and dance.

You are good, but not 100% proven.

Tough situation for both sides.

I would say pay for potential and stop looking for a bargin. If Green, and Laich dont turn out to be what we think they are...then so goes our chances at the Cup.

Give Laich 2 mil a year. He's a good guy, and if he doesnt play well...Im sure he will give some back..bwaahhahahah!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Thanks to the salary cap, there's a set pot of money.

These guys should all just hire the same agent, who could divide the pot among his clients. Then all the contracts get signed, no fuss.

Posted by: Stormblue | June 30, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

sure doesn't take "breakout season" guys long to get dollar-sign eyes.

Posted by: doughless | June 30, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

reposting:

We need Huet bad, but 5M? That's too much. I'd rather get Conklin then.

5M for Green... some of you will think it's a bargain, I think it's too much.

We need to save some money for a good D - Commodore or even Orpik.

On the other hand I'd give 3M to Feds w/o thinking about it twice.

Good thing I'm not a GM huh? haha.

Posted by: mauree | June 30, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I fully support the movement to bring Mike Commodore's afro and it's host to Washington.

Posted by: Jordan | June 30, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I see Laich waiting until tomorrow noon--why wouldn't he at this point? Ditto MG.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: bigonetimer | June 30, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Can you do some more digging and see if there are other clubs seriously looking at Laich? I know it would be 'rumor' since they aren't supposed to be talking until noon tomorrow....

I'm afraid if someone offers him 2M/season or more, GMGM will walk.

GMGM - Sign Laich already!!! The club has a whole fan fest day planned around the guy! You cannot disappoint the fans!

Posted by: Tracy | June 30, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

He cut the 'fro, didn't he? I'd still be okay with him and his bathrobe.

Isles backup goalie going to Continental League.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 30, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

One last thing...I wonder if Laich knows his agent is making comments like this.

You have to wonder what kind of fan comments Laich is going to get during his appearance at development camp with that holdout statement thrown out there.

Posted by: Stormblue | June 30, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I like Laich. I'm thinking we should give him a decent paying short-term deal. Let him prove that his 21 goals were no fluke season.

2 years - 3 million is my vote.

Sapper

Posted by: Sapper | June 30, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

@ Mauree:

I'd agre $5 million is too much for Green. $5 million for Huet, on the other hand, wouldn't be horrible. We paid Olie more for not as quality goaltending, arguably.

Speaking to the topic at hand Brooks, I'd say the higher end of that range ($2.6 million) might be a bit much of an increase for him. He had a great year and will undoubtedly get better, but enough to be commanding that salary? I'm not sold yet. Same thing on Green. Not sold he's worth more than $3.5/year.

Posted by: SLM | June 30, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Conklin had a good stretch on a good team but think about it this way.

Huet averaged a .921 save % over the past three seasons, Conklin averages .905 but the previous 2 seasons was in the .880 range

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 30, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

i think MO could get an offer sheet

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

SIGN HUET!!!!

Posted by: doughless | June 30, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

@ Sapper: If Laich was interested in that salary he'd be signed by now.

Think of the market here. 2nd line forwards are getting $4 million. Laich is a 3rd liner, with an argument that he is on the cusp of the 2nd line. A strong argument at that - look how little ice time he required to score 21 goals. Think his agent isn't playing the "play my guy more, he'll be worth it" routine?

Laich has gotta be asking for $2 million + easily.

Posted by: Ben | June 30, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

agree with ben, laich and his agent arent looking at 1.anything right now. F-bomb

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

1) If Huet isn't signed by today, expect him to bolt to Ottawa. Who would ya rather have then, Conklin or Ray Emery. Can't see either playing well enough to get the caos back into the post season. Both are good back ups, not starters who can/will carry a team.

Posted by: Fauxrumors | June 30, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

@Ben

Go play some war of worldcraft, if you need nourishment

Posted by: RIT | June 30, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

So, let's say he IS looking for 2.5 mil per year. People have been throwing around 2-3 mil to re-sign Fedorov.

Simple question: Laich or Fedorov?

Posted by: Jeff | June 30, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

SIGN HUET, or FIRE McPhee!!

Posted by: doughless | June 30, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Brooks Laich is not the kind of player who should really be commanding a massive amount of money. Ok, he scored 20 goals... Pettinger scored 20 goals a couple seasons ago and no one's crying that he's gone. Laich can pop in a few here and there, but he's never going to be a game-changer. With a healthy Semin, and a healthy Clark (fingers crossed) the caps will be able to replace his goal scoring ability. If the Caps re-sign Huet or Green and let Laich go, I'll call that a W.

Posted by: Danny | June 30, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Mauree, not saying he is worth the money - just saying... that is what it might/should take to keep them. Feds at 3 mil a year would not be that bad either... even bump Laich up to 2 mil... either way, we "should" keep all of these players. The only thing that stands in the way is money. Maybe time as well - length of contract.

Posted by: 828 | June 30, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Tampa is revamping their offense in a big way. BUT... Who on the Bolts is going to stop OV from cranking shots past Smith? Their D? What D? Boyle and who? Now they are looking at trying to add Rolston on wing as well...? Interesting game plan.

Posted by: Steve R | June 30, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

2 seasons ago Brian Willsie had 19 goals, 22 assists, for a total of 41 points. The the Kings signed him, bet they were sorry the signed him.

Posted by: uncatims-bro | June 30, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it world of warcraft?

Posted by: 828 | June 30, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

McPhee said a few years ago that he is less likely to sign players that miss camp. He noted, quite accurately, that he's never seen a player have a very good season after missing camp. Knowing that, agents should refrain from that route as it will only backfire. I dont think one year proves anything; someone noted Pettinger. Exactly. Next season Laich could find himself heading to a new team after potting 7 goals and 10 assists in 63 games... Agents/lawyers are ruining sports in general. Funny, they're doing the same to freedom, democracy, gov't, health insurance, flood insurance...

Posted by: oo7 | June 30, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Fedorov, though old, does a lot more for the future of the Caps. I want a great mentor and he's it.

Posted by: oo7 | June 30, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Laich is basically Clark's twin... I believe he will be a solid player in the future. Pettinger just failed in BB's system - not sure why, but he did.

Talk about legal gambling...

2 mil on Red
5 mil on Black
Hit me
JJ - ohh sit, I capped/crapped out!

Posted by: 828 | June 30, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

828

My guess is:

4.5 - 5 mil - Green Target (4.8)
4.5 - 5 mil - Huet (4.6)
2 +bonuses mil - Feds
1.5 mil - Laich
2 - 2.5 mil - Morrison (2.5)

Posted by: Greg S. | June 30, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

that Malone deal really dings the market's bell right off the bat...he's a quasi second/third liner as well and he get's 7 yrs/4.5+? absurd

//ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: bigonetimer | June 30, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Everyone is forgetting Eric Fehr....

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 30, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

for 4.5M to 5M, Mike Green better start to get a litle more familiar with the blueline and how to clear the puck without giving it up to the opposing team

Posted by: doughless | June 30, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm not...

Posted by: Greg S. | June 30, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Kolzig to T.B Lightning?

Say it aint so. I hope he leaves some Juicy rebounds for Ovie.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

No, Pettinger didn't just not fit in Boudreau's system, He had 1 goal and 2 assists under Hanlon, and 1 goal and 3 assists under Boudreau, he just sucked.

Going overboard to pay a guy after a 20 goal season is ridiculous, I'd say 1.5-2 a year with incentives would be a fair deal. The NHL salary's are quickly getting out of hand, and I can't help but thinking another lockout is right around the corner.

I think Eric Fehr is forgetting Eric Fehr, wake me up when he does something to notice.

Posted by: Danny | June 30, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

doughless

I wholeheartedly agree. But I think that's what we'll end up with.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 30, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

If we have to chose - I would take Laich over Feds.

So we sign Brooksy for 2M for 2 yrs - mostly because Clark isn't 100% yet. Once Clark is back, we have the guy who goes to the net to get the garbage goals. Brooks' agent has to realize Brooks had alot of opportunity because Clark was out.

At the end of the day, the Caps won't be the same without Laich in the line-up. I'm hoping we see a posting from Tarik at 5PM today that Laich is signed.

Posted by: Tracy | June 30, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm really suprised Clark is still not ready. I guess I didnt know how bad the injury really was. I mean nothing against him, I like him a lot, but its getting old. I hope he is good enough to come back cause I think he will help out.

Imagine having him on one line creating havoc in front of the net, then the next line comes out and Laich is there to do the same thing.

Posted by: Jake | June 30, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Liles and Foote resigned by Avs. The pool of avail talent on the blue line is shrinking. At least the Oilers should be out of the Mike Green bidding.

Posted by: Steve R | June 30, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

How many of us want a more physical team besides me?

If so, then why are we not talking to Cooke? He had 22 fewer hits recorded than AO did. And he'll go cheap. No one's talking about him. Anywhere.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 30, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

@Jill, Brooks & Greenie are friends but not best buds...Fehr is MG's boy! Of course remember friendship isn't playing a part in this, this is about money!

Brooks had a great season but it was ONE season. Do you roll the dice and give him more of the money pile we need for Huet and Green? Questionable! I say give him $1.5M, that's doubling his comp from last year & that seems like a decent leap of faith from GMGM and the Caps w/o going overboard

Posted by: CapsSighting | June 30, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

@ Greg. I cant agree with you more. But I think once we re-signed Bradely it kinda took Cooke out of the picture.

Posted by: Jake | June 30, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I think letting Laich go would be a big mistake. He is even better than he played this past year. Give him 1.5 more minutes a game @ 80 +/-(for playoffs or injuries)and I believe you turn a 20 goal scorer with his hands into a 30+ goal getter without any sacrifice. He is dangerous, and sneaky, and I like the grit he brings. Good things happen to guys like that not to mention 10 more goals could win 7 +/- more games, including OT playoff games (considering the amount of 1 goal game differences there have been)!! Just saying!!

Posted by: Greenie | June 30, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero - at this current time, Fehr is replaceable... the other guys are a lil bit harder to come by. Notice how I said "at this time"... I know he is supposed to be good and supposed to be a threat... but I have yet to see him. Like someone said before, this will be the year that he shows everyone what he can or can't do.

Ya know, when someone made up the lines, they did not have Flash in those lines... people still think he is poo? How much is he making a year?

Posted by: 828 | June 30, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

@ CapsSighting - my post was tongue-in-cheek, of course. But if you saw the Laich and Green editions of Caps Cribs, you'd know what I was talking about.

Oh well, if neither gets a deal done they always have their band to fall back on...

Posted by: Jill | June 30, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

What's everyone doing for the 4th?

Posted by: 828 | June 30, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

everyone keeps saying that Flash is going to be the real deal. i haven't seen much. he is softer than Kozlov.

Posted by: doughless | June 30, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I would not pay more than 2 mil. a year for Laich.
Honestly the Caps should just give him a decent contract for one year, let him prove his worth again. If he does then we can negotiate or he can seek money elsewhere.
Laich is a great player, but I'd rather have Mike Green or Cristobal Huet first. Plus, if we get our core players signed up, would Laich rather play on a winning team for a small pay raise, or seek the highest bidder in another rebuild like oh Los Angeles?

Posted by: Reed S. Albers | June 30, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Flash got a 2 year extension that kicks in next season, at 725,000 per season. Pretty darn cheap, especially if he ends up producing.

Speaking of Salaries, e-mail me at blwiseass at yahoo dot com if you want to get a copy of an excel sheet i have updated in time for Free Agency.

I think Fehr will show up this season. Its hard to bounce back after missing an entire year.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 30, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I think once one deal is made, they will start to fall in line. Need to have a starting point on dollars leftover to make the deals. Start with huet, then Green and so on and then you can dtermine your top price for Laich, MO, Feds.

I do agree that Laich is asking for $2+mm.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | June 30, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I may be mistaken but do we not have the right to match any offer sheet for any of these player is question?

Posted by: fan | June 30, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I left Flash out of my lines...he's making about 750k.

I think he could fit on the 3rd line if either Laich or Fedorov do not return, but otherwise he doesn't really fit into the lineup without an injury.

That said, he did have 10 goals and 20 assists last season...if he ends up getting 3rd line time and could replicate those types of numbers that would be a very successful season for him.

Posted by: Jeff | June 30, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

@828,

I'll be in Virginia Beach.

Posted by: Jordan | June 30, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Why does everyone need a more physical team? When our current players try to be physical, they get sent to the box. How many games did we lose because of stupid penalties? You stay out of the box, you win some games. We were one of the least penalized teams out there... but it seemed like when we got a penalty, we paid the price. Who had the lease amount of PIM/G? Detroit.
I don't care how physical the team is, I just want good body position and good special teams. 2-4 guys being physical should be sufficient. Most of the time, our defenseman were out of position... whether they are physical or not... is irrelevant.

Posted by: 828 | June 30, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I can see Laich getting $1.5 to $2 mill over two or three years.

As for Clark, if he's still not healthy, he may never be. He's & Pothier are buyouts waiting to happen. I say re-sign Huet & all of our RFA's, then try to sign a guy like Bertuzzi on the cheap. He'd give them some grit.

Fedorov isn't coming back. There's too much money he can make in Russia, and he's got nothing left to prove in the NHL to play as a 3rd line center. I hope i'm wrong, but I have to wonder.

Posted by: Jim Cee | June 30, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey, a little off topic, but can someone explain to me how Ryan Malone and Gary Roberts were signed by Tampa before the start of free agency?

I never heard any news as to their trading to Tampa, so I'm a little baffled as to how it got done.

Were they traded? And if so, for what?

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | June 30, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

@DrinkingPartner

Their bargaining rights were traded to TB for '09 picks.

Posted by: keef | June 30, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Drink - TB just has the rights to those two players... they traded draft picks for their rights. So, they could be out a draft pick or two if they cannot sign them.

Posted by: 828 | June 30, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I dont think they were signed, the Lightning just got their negotiating rights, meaning that they got the opportunity to negotiate and re-sign (technically) before free agency started.

I think I heard they got a 4th round pick, maybe?

Posted by: Danny | June 30, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

828

Because they don't do it right. Because I'm tired of the opposition taking runs into the crease, setting up camp and having a BBQ with all their friends and neighbors.

Cooke had 198 hits and 91 PIMs on 78 games played.

Bradley had 126 hits and 74 PIMs on 77 games.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 30, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Greg S... I am with you - I am tired of those things as well. However, if you are in the right position, you should not have those problems. That goes with Goaltenders as well. It's all about technique - not so much talent, speed, and strength.

Posted by: 828 | June 30, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you Greg S. I'd much prefer Cooke.

Posted by: Steve R | June 30, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

If all goes right tomorrow I will be rocking the red at the Nats minor league baseball game on July 4th. If the Caps tick me off and let Laich, Green, Huet, et al get away tomorrow then I may just be at the baseball game in the standard July 4th red white and blue.

Clark not being 100% leaves me worried that we could start next season without a net crasher if we do not sign Laich. Come on GMGM. Go to the bakery to get a cake to celebrate going to the bank and getting some money to pay the guy that knows if you go to the net you score goals!

Posted by: Kim | June 30, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Isn't that more of a weak D issue than forwards? Juice or Slappy Schultz should be back there pushing 'em out.

Posted by: keef | June 30, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

With Rolston seemingly out of the picture in Minnesota. I think Laich might draw an offer from them if they go till tomorrow. He'd probably fit in well there.

Green - 5 mil is way too much. Everyone says that the Caps shouldn't sign Laich because he had 1 good season, but the same can be said for Green. He had 1 good yr but he is still a defensive liability. I'd give him 3-4 yrs maybe 2.5 - 3 mil. His value goes up if he produces but if not, you didnt spend too much.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

prefer Cooke over who?

What is your order for the guys that we need to resign?

Mine:

Green
Huet
Laich
Morrison
Feds
Cooke
Fehr

Or, are you talking Cooke over Bradley?

Posted by: 828 | June 30, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Malone and Roberts were traded for conditional draft picks. I think a 3rd rounder.

IF Green and huet both get 5,000,000

IF ShaMo gets 1,800,000

IF Laich gets 1,750,000

IF Fehr gets 840,000 (assuming he gets his standard %5 qualifying offer raise)

and IF Gordon gets his 10% raise to $715,000....

that puts our team over the cap limit at $57,321,934

Feel free to quibble over those numbers. I just arbitrarily took numbers AROUND where the rumors have been swirling. Fehr and Gordon are more accurate, assuming other teams don't try to sign them.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 30, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I think it's quite obvious with the Lightning hiring his agent (Lawton) and Malone's father (head scout)and Malone indicating to Columbus he wasn't signing that this all went down between Pittsburgh and Tampa before hand.
The Lightning in my opinion great a good deal. I wish Malone was here on either the first or second line RW especially if it meant Greg Malone taking over the duties of results challenged Ross Mahoney.

I think Lawton being part of the deal that Jay Feaster is the next to be ushered out the door by the new owners there.

Whether the changes made in Tampa adding Malone, Roberts, Prospal, Stamkos (via the draft), plus the possibility of signing Rolston they've put together two very good lines. Maybe better than ours mostly because of question marks with Fehr and Clark.

As to the signing of Laich, I think that all depends on how comfortable the Caps feel about Fedorov. Laich really came on under Boudreau and if these guys aren't careful we may lose him.

Right now it's walking on eggs time for Cap fans, isn't it.

Posted by: Seravat Holdings | June 30, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Hmm.

Did Montreal give up anything to Toronto for exclusive rights to Sundin?

Also, is this the first year this has ever happened? I don't recall a similar situation -- ever, actually.

And they did sign, per TSN.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | June 30, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, I left out Fedorov at $2,100,000

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 30, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I was just reading all the comments and anguish about the RFA and free agent signings...and that got me to thinking. How would we feel and what would we be saying if Ted and GMGM hadn't locked up Ovie in January?????

Discuss....

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | June 30, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Fehr is not as good as people think he is. He can go, no problems. I remember how GMGM was trying to convince everyone (through the media) that Eminger, Sutherby, Pettinger etc were going to be soooo good.

Posted by: Finn | June 30, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Kim, you reminded me:

If Laich wants money, shouldn't he go to the bank? He even said that himself.

Posted by: 828 | June 30, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

@DrinkingPartner

TB traded for their rights the other day and that's why they were able to sign them before FA starts.

Posted by: RIT | June 30, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Please, let's not start another Cooke vs Bradley discussion. As Bruce Banner used to say, "you wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

Brads is here to stay, get used to it.

Posted by: Jill | June 30, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Brooks will get $2 a year.

Ponikarovsky from Toronto made over $2 last year and Brooks had better numbers. Also Brooks scores more shorties than anyone comaparable.

See Cory's posting - http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/in-the-room/2008/Jun/25/brooks-laich-update/

Posted by: pch49 | June 30, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I prefer Cooke over Bradley and Fehr. Cooke is tougher than Bradley, scores more than him, pks better than him. If Laich is going to walk, I hope GMGM finds out fast so he can keep Cooke.

Posted by: Pat | June 30, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

What is this "Fehr is expendable" nonsense? He's not going anywhere. He's dirt cheap and still developing.

@ RIT: I actually am getting into The World of the World of Warcraft these days.

Posted by: Ben | June 30, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero - read this: http://capitals.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=367101&page=NewsPage&service=page

"As the signing period looms, the Caps already have 18 players (one goaltender, seven defensemen and 10 forwards) under contract. The total salary cap amount committed to those 18 players is roughly $37.6 million. That figure does not include the total of the qualifying offers given to the five unrestricted free agents, three of whom (Morrisonn, Gordon and Laich) have arbitration rights.

That would give the Caps almost $20 million with which to sign Green, Morrisonn, Fehr, Gordon, Laich, Huet and Fedorov. If all seven sign, the Caps will have 25 players under contract and it would be unlikely that they'd make any sort of significant splash in this summer's free agent pool."

Posted by: 828 | June 30, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Not to be a downer for Pothier, but we will probably have his $2 million as well to spend if his career is over.

Posted by: Pat | June 30, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Laich has all the chicks, not fair, and I am taller than him.

Posted by: Papa 'Panzer' Schultz | June 30, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

@828 - they must not be including potential bonuses for Backstrom and/or Alzner. One thing I forgot to note, is that teams can exceed the cap in order to pay out bonuses, but must be back under the cap the following season by the same amount. Backstrom has a salary of 850,000 but a Cap Hit of 2,400,000 because of all of his potential bonuses.

I took my numbers straight from http://www.nhlscap.com/capnumbers/washington.htm

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 30, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

DevilsCapsGal,

Posted by: 828 | June 30, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

@828

i think her point was, imagine how much we would all be freaking out if Ovechkin was going to be an RFA along with everyone else

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 30, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

@828:

"I am confused - what is there to discuss? Ovechkin is the best hockey player in the world, but does not act like it. He is the face of the nhl and the core of the Washington Capitals. He does not take any shifts off and he is always trying to get better. Who would get upset with him being signed - besides the fans in Montreal.

Just because Alex got a paycheck... does not mean the rest of them deserve a paycheck."

I totally agree- the only purpose of my comment was to point out how high our collective angst would be if Ovie's status was also as an RFA now...so we should be grateful that he was locked up so early as it is less stress on our collective psyche.

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | June 30, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Brads is here to stay, get used to it.

Amen.

Posted by: King Huet | June 30, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

If you're out of position, you'll be deeked, scored on, and/or make a penalty. Positionings are critical. But even when we're in position we're still pushed around for some reason. We have a lot of big, fast boys out there, but only a handfull will actually take the body.

AO with 220
Cooke at 198
Juice at 151
Brash at 133
Bradley at 126

Brash got there with only 7 min average time on ice per game. Bradley had 10. Cooke averaged 12.

Posted by: Greg S. | June 30, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

828, 2 years ago the Ducks crushed Detroit and won the cup because they were more physical. We can't just change our philosophy based on who wins the cup. GMGM has a philosophy of how he wants the team to play, and I think it's somewhere in the middle, but he wants guys who aren't gonna get intimidated by physical play. That's why Flash and his agent had to go to the team and beg for a cheap contract, he costs nothing, so if he makes it, great! If not, they can trade or waive him.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

If necessary, I'd rather keep the young defensemen (Green & Mo) then keep Laich. I don't think losing 2 young defenseman, who will only get better, is worth paying too much money for a 20 goal scorer.
Do I think Green is worth 5mil, no, but someone will pay him that money it may as well be us. Green needs to work on his own end, which is obvious, however, there is a line queing for the services of Brain Campbell because that type of player does not become available that often. We have it, as raw as it is, we need to keep it.
Sign Green, Mo, and Huet and be done with it. We don't need Gordon, we've got Steckel. They are basically the same exact player. Losing Laich would be a blow, but he's not worth giving up the defensemen, in my opinion.

Posted by: fan | June 30, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

New Post up above

Posted by: 828 | June 30, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

So Foote is off the table (that's kinda punny ... HA!).

eric:
"Boo: Malone is a free agent in 3 days. Why TB would trade a pick knowing they've got zero chance at signing him baffles me."

I asked you then why you thought that and you did not respond ... care to make a statement now?!? ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | June 30, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

John Michael Liles got 4 years, 4.2 million per season from the Avs. Any one thinking Green will settle for 3.5 million should look at Lile's stats from the past 4 seasons. http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/stats?playerId=2283

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | June 30, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

There is another factor that someone may have mentioned and I in my haste to plow through the messages, may have missed.

Jacques (I'm on life-support) Martin with the Olesz signing, may have queered the deal for almost everyone in Olesz's category, including Brooks who not only had better numbers, but played 25 more games. Now if players in that class do not get a prompt offer approximating the $3M+ that O got, they go to arbitration and use that ridiculous salary as a point of compensation for comparable worth. The arbiter agrees and awards Brooks $3M+. Does George say "thank you for your dedication to the Caps. You are now a free agent. Have a nice rest of your life." This has happened before, and I bet we see at least one incident of it this year. I'm almost willing bet it will happen here and Washington won't be the only place. There are a lot of so-so free agents out there and not enough money to keep paying the outrageous salaries.

What do ya think? Do these guys really want to play in Rooosssia? I hate taxes more than most, but not that much.

Posted by: Old Bob | June 30, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

anyone there want to chat with a girl who likes sports? Let's mingle here at +++++(((((((-----u k i n t e r r a c i a l m a t c h . c o m------)))))))+++, where many black and white singles who want to meet and seek fun & love seriously! Join us to begin our connect!

Posted by: willow | July 1, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse