Laing has swine flu

Quintin Laing has swine flu, a team official just confirmed. Laing was sent home from the morning skate yesterday and did not play in the Caps' 4-2 win over Philly.

He's not at the practice facility today, either.

I now know why a security guard outside of the team's dressing room at Verizon Center was asking everyone to use hand sanitizer before entering last night.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 28, 2009; 11:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning roundup: Top line, Theo get it done
Next: Caps concerned about spread of swine flu

Comments

Get well soon, Laing! Hope it hasn't had a chance to spread.

Posted by: Hatfield223 | October 28, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: SA-Town | October 28, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

If I had to choose one cap to NOT take with me to Vegas it would be Laing. He has no luck. He gets his chance last year to play and busts his spleen. This year he gets swine flu.

Posted by: caps512 | October 28, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Yikes. I hope the team did some serious deep cleaning to keep the germs from spreading. I don't want my Caps getting sick!

Feel better Quintin.

Posted by: jodigwen | October 28, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Man, I kind of hope he didn't bring his family with him, it sucks to be alone, but you don't want to be infecting those close to you.

Posted by: superpaqman | October 28, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

From prev thread:

I think Semin had H1N1 as well, but was isolated from a team as if he had an injury. Remember what BB said? "He's both sore and sick"

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 28, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Too bad we couldn't sneak Laing onto Philly's bus.

Posted by: cbs75 | October 28, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

My thought is if you have flu symptoms, completely abstain from physical activity to save energy, your body will need it....

Completely healthy teen died from H1N1 within 48 hours:

Paul Frustaglio sat on the front step of his Etobicoke home Tuesday still stunned to find himself accepting condolences for his son's death.

It had all happened so quickly. On Saturday, his 13-year-old son Evan was sick with the flu, but still playing hockey. By Monday morning, Mr. Frustaglio was holding his son's limp body in his arms, trying frantically to revive him.

After patiently giving dozens of interviews, the grief finally overwhelmed him. As he embraced a friend outside his home, he let out a long, painful cry that echoed along the quiet suburban street.

“My boy is gone,” he said. “My God, my baby. He's gone.”

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 28, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Q has no luck whatsoever

Posted by: pkendrick | October 28, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Whoa, that's not cool. Get better quickly, and I know the media won't want to hear this one, but if I'm the Caps I ban everyone who isn't a player or coach from the locker room until this blows over, and sanitize the hell out of it.

Posted by: kittypawz | October 28, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

get well soon, laing! sorry your luck has been so rotten!

hey, maybe the guys should switch to rubbing elbows or belly-bumps instead of full-bore body-slamming pigpile huggies as goal celebrations. just a thought. :)

Posted by: spinner-33 | October 28, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Today would be a good day for Don Cherry to interview Quintin Laing.

Posted by: uncatim | October 28, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Poor Q. He can't catch a break. Get well soon! Hopefully the team continues to take measures to ensure no other players catch any kind of flu.

Posted by: CapsChick | October 28, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

That's at least 3 cases in the NHL.

Posted by: UngaBunga | October 28, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes to Laing. I hope he recovers soon and gets back in the ice.

Just an observation I find interesting. Laing gets the flu and everyone feels for him and wishes him well, as we should, but when Semin was under the weather, he was called names and ridiculed by some retards ... oh, well ...

Posted by: hock1 | October 28, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

We just had an 18-year-old healthy kid die from the swine flu near Baltimore..

Oneal

Posted by: thetick73 | October 28, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Whatever was going on with Semin, he probably didn't have H1N1 or any flu virus, you would think the team would have announced it as they did with Laing. Semin last played Sat Nov 17 vs Nashville, then missed 2 games and played again Thu Nov 27. That's just barely enough time to catch and recover from a flu bug if you start getting the symptoms right after the Nashville game. Seems unlikely to me.

Posted by: dcunitedfan3 | October 28, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey, where's Chicken Little Caps fan? I hope he/she doesn't have H1N1!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | October 28, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Yikes...feel better soon!

They need to Lysol bomb the whole locker room! I am a health care worker and I see alot of patients with the flu each day, I have managed to dodge it with vitamin and fluids...I hope the Caps are doing the same!

Posted by: NatyBG | October 28, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

"Laing had his spleen removed.. I wonder if that plays into his flu-resistance / recovery."
Oneal
---------------------
Absolutely. The spleen plays a huge role in the immune system. A friend of mine had her spleen removed as a result of a car accident and her docs told her that she would have low resistance to things like the flu.

Posted by: tess2201 | October 28, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

On second thought, did Laing have his spleen removed, or was it just a rupture that healed up?

Posted by: tess2201 | October 28, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Swine flu

Biggest hoax ever. Many people die unexpectedly each day from "relatively minor illnesses.
the hoax revealed http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/10/27/Obama-Declares-Swine-Flu-Emergency.aspx

Posted by: sidehillman | October 28, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Get well soon, Q.

I wonder why the team didn't put out hand sanitizer earlier? Well, better late than never.

@dcunitedfan3 Just because the team didn't announce doesn't mean it isn't true. A couple people who saw Semin at Kettler last week said he looked bad and he really looked flushed during the Preds game. Maybe the team didn't announce it because they didn't want others to question the health of Backs and Ovi, who also looked sick during the time Semin was out. I mean, those three are together alot and even people on this board were asking those questions.

Posted by: ablake70 | October 28, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

OH NO I think I have the pig flu!! OH NO my beak is hot and my feathers are falling off!! OH NO probably sick cause I have nothing to complain about...5 game winnnig streak, Schultz w/ 5 points in three games...beat the Flyers. OH NO everything is ok...we're doomed!!!

Wait, OH NO we suck at faceoffs...OH NO it will cost us the Cup...OH NO....

Posted by: ChickenLittleCapsFan | October 28, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't think hand sanitizers work against viruses. In fact they don't even kill all bacterias. It's a joke that the team put hand sanitizers. The only thing that can help against bacteria, viruses, even radiation, is to wash your hands, flushing the bad stuff down the toilet.

As of Semin, he would be the first case of H1N1 in the NHL. Apparently the team didn't want that publicity. They only declared Laing with H1N1 after two cases already reported.

Posted by: CodePoetry | October 28, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Anyone care to issue ChickenLittleCapsFan's ritalin shot? What a maroon!

We have a game tomorrow and people want to coast through Wednesday with yet another conspiracy theory that Semin had swine flu and the Capitals didn't disclose it because?!!!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | October 28, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Whew, thank goodness you're okay, Chicken Little Caps Fan! You had me worried that you might not be worried about anything!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | October 28, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I had my spleen removed as a result of a cross-check and I wasn't told by docs that I have a lower resistance to anything. The latest articles point to a lower chance of recovering from heart attacks, but I haven't seen anything about flu. I was in the ER for another reason the other week and a nurse said I should definitely get flu and pneumonia shots though, first I ever heard of that warning because I'm spleen-less.

Posted by: rh71 | October 28, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

CodePoetry, where have you read that Semin was confirmed to have contracted h1n1?

According to this, the other 2 confirmed cases are Edmonton Oilers defenceman Ladislav Smid and Colorado Avalanche goalie Peter Budaj:

I'm not saying Semin could not have possibly had it, but it seems unlikely. Some other sickness (regular flu, a cold, whatever) seems more likely. I doubt that the Capitals would play fast and loose with a public health concern like h1n1 by trying to cover it up, when they are so obviously breaking out the Purell after Laing's diagnosis.

Posted by: dcunitedfan3 | October 28, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse