Laing Hospitalized With Torn Spleen

Quintin Laing suffered a torn spleen last night in his first game with the Caps this season and is out for the season. It's unclear how exactly he suffered the injury, but I can tell you he did not know he was hurt (or at least to what extent) around 10:15 when I interviewed him in the dressing room at St. Pete Times Forum.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 20, 2009; 10:10 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List: Ovechkin's 50th
Next: Mike Green Update

Comments

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :( man that sucks so much :( get well soon Quintin

Posted by: mauree | March 20, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I feel for the guy. Finally gets called up, plays one game and then out for the season. I hope for a quick recovery QL!

I would guess Aucoin is back up.

Posted by: puckman | March 20, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Ouch, tough break. Get better buddy.

Chris Bourque time?

Posted by: ThisGuy | March 20, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Q...I'm so sorry.

Posted by: SPKK | March 20, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I was so happy to have him up. This is terrible news. He can't catch a break. If he played through that...there are no words. Get well soon, Q!!

Posted by: JillC | March 20, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Oh, crap.

Posted by: Baildog | March 20, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

After coming back from an injury, he's out again. I feel so sorry for him. Get well soon, Q. Hope to see you in DC next season.

Posted by: bajgirl | March 20, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I would give my spleen for the team, too, if I could! Get healthy, Q!

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | March 20, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

That's a tough break. I thought Laing had a very good game last night. Hopefully there is another Gordon/Laing type player on the farm. It would be nice to see Bourque get another shot but I don't believe he's the type of help BB's looking for.

On another note:

What's up with the NHL giving the Pens back to back games, with days off, against teams that have to come to their stadium after they just played the night before? Atlanta went to Pittsburgh Tuesday after playing us. LA is going to Pittsburgh to play tonight after beating Boston in OT last night.
Yeah, we are playing Carolina tomorrow after having the day off today and Carolina playing tonight, but we are going to their stadium, and by the time tomorrow night rolls around our boys with have played 5 games in 8 days, 4 on the road. Tired of seeing the ice tilted Pittsburgh's way.

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 20, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Dang! Watching Laing last night and that guy is something. I wish him well.

@fan,

There was a long entry on that "scheduling" over at cheap seats at the start of the season. She thought it was mostly some weird conspiracy theory until she took a long look at the games.

Here's the link tot the November entry:

Posted by: saintex | March 20, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Awww man...this makes me sad. QL is awesome. Get well quickly, Q!!

Posted by: CapsKH | March 20, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Arrrgh. I really enjoyed having Laing back last night. I thought he did well for his first game back.

Seriously? Tore his spleen? I don't even know how you do that...

Get better Laing.

Posted by: keepwastingmoney | March 20, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

That sucks. I was stoked to see Q back with the Caps

Posted by: griz0615 | March 20, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Dang!

Posted by: Sonyask | March 20, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Bad news :( Man hes tough to play with a serious injury and continue to block shots and be physical.

Stamkos is a clumsy player to pull Green with him and injuring him. Sure it wasnt dirty, but it was DUMB and CLUMSY and no penalty by the way.

Posted by: Hazz | March 20, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

bring back Cris B and Aucoin and leave the donald at home for the rest of the season.

Posted by: tpatton2 | March 20, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

freak injuries are so unfair, especially on his first game back up with the big club...

Posted by: ngraham1 | March 20, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Get well soon Quint.... and then you can get a bigger boat. ;-)

Seriously, a torn spleen is bad and he is done for the year, but even if it's removed, you can still play the game at the top level (See Peter Forsberg). Get well now Quintin and then be ready for training camp in September....

Posted by: MikeL-Caps91 | March 20, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

What?!

How the #%@% does someone tear their spleen?!

I really like Laing too...

Posted by: TheSkyIsntFalling | March 20, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse