Laing Recalled, Varlamov to Start

A couple of observations from St. Pete Times Forum: Quintin Laing is walking around (so I'm assuming he's been recalled) and Simeon Varlamov is warming up like he's going to start tonight against the Lightning.

I'll have more details after Bruce Boudreau speaks to reporters.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 19, 2009; 11:08 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List: Laich and Lightning
Next: 'Good Chance' Laing, Varlamov, Pothier Will Play (Updated)

Comments

our penalty kill just got 5x's better

Posted by: _stevo | March 19, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

It's the final stretch.

The lineup will be different every night to give people rest.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 19, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to Laing, and congrats to Wendel.

Posted by: Jeff_ | March 19, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

From the last thread:

Is Brian Pothier going to get another shot in there? He made a few mistakes on Monday, but overall I was impressed as heck with how he looked after so much time away. Check the Caps website and it has the standard pre-game summary but has the D-men kind of hammered in the predicted pairings. I haven't seen any call-ups yet the pairings are predicted as:

26-Morrisonn, 52-Green
44-Kronwall, 3-Poti
27-Alzner, 23-Jurcina

Posted by: fanohock1 | March 19, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

It's about time they called up Laing, we need his attitude, hard work, and effort around since a good chunk of the team seems to be mailing it in recently.

Posted by: KBBKBB | March 19, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Welcome back, Laing!

Posted by: Jordana20 | March 19, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Faing! Let the shotblocking bruises commence...

Posted by: Roose | March 19, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

The callups always force the team to play better - hope Laing gets in tonight. Scratch Nylander.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | March 19, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, can someone refresh my memory on Laing? What game did he play and how far back was he called up before? With so many call-ups, it's hard to keep track of all their names. Thanks, in advance, for the history lesson.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 19, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I like Laing as much as the next guy, but why did they call him up now? Its great for the resting of players, but do we want Laing in the playoffs instead of a scorer like Aucoin? The only thing I can think of is that Brashear isn't coming back for awhile and since there aren't that many fights in the playoffs, he gets Brash's spot unless we play the Flyers.

But, it will be good to see his "Tenacious D" on the PK again. Imagine him and Laich blocking shots all over the place?

Posted by: oldtimehockey | March 19, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Awesome! I love the fact that Laing is back. Wendel did call it yesterday too. I guess he got the family message.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | March 19, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Q! WELCOME BACK! Finally!!

Posted by: SPKK | March 19, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

We need more guys with missing teeth

Posted by: meagle | March 19, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 19, 2009 11:26 AM

Laing hasn't been called up this year. He was called up last season and became very popular because he's willing to sacrafice his body--constantly--to prevent the other team from scoring. Infamously, he blocked a large number of shots by laying down on the ice during a 5-on-3 during overtime against the hated flightless fowl.

He has to pass through waivers this year, so i think the Caps didn't want to risk losing him to another team. He's a gritty guy, but not quite as talented as Laich, imo.

I think he had some injury or other this winter, too.

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 19, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

@LeftCoastCapsFan - Last season before the team turned it around, they called up Laing and he was a shot blocking machine. There was one game in particular that Laing blocked 2 or 3 consecutive shots to help seal a win on a late P.K. I believe Ovechkin scored an empty netter, but after the game the first guy OV went over to was Q.L. to acknowledge the effort.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | March 19, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

LeftCoast-

Laing was up last year from right after Boudreau came up till the end.

Posted by: OverTheBoards | March 19, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

he's also just coming back from a knee injury I believe.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | March 19, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

simeonn! :]

Posted by: vt_caps | March 19, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Can we get a C-Bourque recall please? Our lineup needs some HUNGER and I know this kid has it.

Posted by: ThisGuy | March 19, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I like Q. He's a gritty, tough guy, but he was out for a while with an injury. Now I'm really looking forward to some butt whooping against the Bolts.

Posted by: bajgirl | March 19, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I will be wearing my #53 Jersey tonight while I watch the game! Go Faing!

Posted by: OverTheBoards | March 19, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

nice to see #53 back and varly getting another shot

Posted by: madboost35 | March 19, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Oh cool. :) What about Aucoin, and who else sits?

Glad to see Varlamov getting another start.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 19, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Interesting article about second-half winning percentage: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3995626&name=lebrun_pierre

Posted by: armonroe | March 19, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Laing and Varlamov?

My day just got better. :)

Posted by: ratgurl46 | March 19, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to be rude and beat Tarik to it, because Corey did. Looks like Gordo might be out.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 19, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Why did you not Twitter this article? I'm confused. I wish I could just monitor Twitter, but I guess I'll continue to check in here throughout the day.

Posted by: PonMan | March 19, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

@Redbirdie, SombreroGuy, OverTheBoards:

Thanks, posters, for the info about Laing. Sounds like a guy we coulda' used during that infamous streak not so long ago. Sounds like an awesome player. And I loved what Varlamov brought to our goaltending when he was up. Here's to a great game tonight. Let's GOOO Caps!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 19, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

YAY! I'm so excited to see Laing tonight. I've been wondering why they didn't call him up earlier. I know he was injured recently, but how about earlier in the year when we had all the injuries and so many guys were out!?

Posted by: Heidi1 | March 19, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

"Quintin Laing is walking around (so I'm assuming he's been recalled)..."

ASSUMING?? You are a reporter for crying out loud.

Posted by: opita1 | March 19, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse