Late Practice Today

There won't be a morning practice update today because, well, there is no morning practice.

The Caps are scheduled to hold their annual outdoor practice at Chevy Chase Club this evening. But it won't really be a "practice" at all. The players will instead get back to their outdoor-rink-roots and scrimmage three-on-three for about an hour.

Jose Theodore and Brent Johnson will serve as captains; the goalies "drafted" their teams yesterday. Coach Bruce Boudreau, meanwhile, will be the ref.

I'm also assuming Tom Poti will be taking part, so it should be a pretty good test for the veteran defenseman, who hopes to return Saturday against the Red Wings after missing 15 games with a groin muscle pull.

The event is closed to the public. But I'll be there and will update the blog and write a story for the paper. So check back a little later.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 29, 2009; 10:57 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Reading List
Next: Poll: Tonight's Scrimmage

Comments

"I'm a huge Flyers fan!"

"I love Briere!"

Posted by: Section117 | January 29, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I played some youth hockey games there once. Our house team crushed the CCCC team in the snow. Good times.

Posted by: ThisGuy | January 29, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

But it's open to Club members!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: gtydings | January 29, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

@ThisGuy,

I played there once as a bantam or peewee. Might have been the only time I played outdoors.

--Tarik

Posted by: el_bashir | January 29, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

i used to love crushing the country club team, they were terrible

Posted by: _stevo | January 29, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Is this for charity - I hope?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 29, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section117 | January 29, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Only time you played outdoors??! c'mon no old school wheaton outdoor rink?!
I played tons of games in the fog bowl... Scored a few goals from my own blue line too.

Hope Poti get's back on his feet quickly, we're going to need him against the Zetterberg Wings

Posted by: tURBO8 | January 29, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Steve-o

You might have crushed us on the ice but we crushed you with our wallets...think about it...

Just kidding - I jest...

Posted by: NJNJ | January 29, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I stopped by Practice yesterday, and Potheir looked to be going full speed with the team on offense drills.

He must really be coming along.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 29, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

XM Guys about 15 minutes ago:
(paraphrase)
If you're a team vying for the Cup this year, a San Jose, Washington, definitely a Boston, and you want to sacrifice a little of the future for a better shot this year I say you do it. In this day of salary caps you can't keep your teams together very long and you just don't know what your team may be like just a few years down the road

Posted by: austinsteve | January 29, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Well I certaily hope this game at the Chevy Chase country club rink is for charity. If not, it is a wasted opportunity to tweak some weak areas. If this is just closed event for club members they need to scrap that annual event because the CCC members are snobs. Sorry if I offended any that may be here, but they are. My sons play travel hockey and when they first started at the "B" level they had to go to the Chevy Chase country club once a year. They made little 9 and 10 year olds dress in locker rooms that opened to the outside even though there were open locker rooms inside by the big fireplace. Rude, silver spoon folks. Again, sorry if I insulted CCC members, but if the spoon fits...

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 29, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

@njnj

crushed with your wallet....hhhmmm

Posted by: _stevo | January 29, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

FYI, there are other outdoor rinks like wheaton, rockville blades (rink 3), Wells, but none of the home teams at those rinks force the visiting team to basically dress outside. Not to mention, even though it was cold as heck the CCCC typically didn't have coffee, hot chocolate etc available which is standard at just about every rink in the area.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 29, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Steve-o,

A snobby remark on my part but funny all the same, no?

Fanhock,

Yes, a lot of snobs in the world, especially at country clubs...

Posted by: NJNJ | January 29, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Toronto's line-up is a "garden of weeds."

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 29, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

117,
That's comedy gold my friend.

Reposted:
117,
Perhaps we should take our "soccer" chat elsewhere. Do you have anyone's email address from here? Maybe if we had someone in common we could be linked up. I'm not a fan of adding my email address here.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | January 29, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

@Section117 - Thank you for indulging me and my rant about Firsters. I was hoping that a qick technical fix could alleviate the need to try to ignore it and offer some comic relief along the way, but you already did the comic relief part, so...

I'll try to grow a thicker skin to it; just that it reminds me of some little kid yelling "Me! Me! Me!", which can be hard to ignore. I'll do my best though.

@SA-Town - Thanks for the Pothier update. Sounds promising.

And let's hope Poti passes the "test" tonight and can be back in the lineup for Saturday.

Posted by: BigRed8 | January 29, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

How come Wilbon is ignoring the Caps?

Posted by: hessone | January 29, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I love it ...Cindy doesn't even make the top 20 best NHL players this week according to TSN.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 29, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

@117

yes take the soccer talk elsewhere

@njnj

the joke was meh, i smiled but dont think i chuckled at it

Posted by: _stevo | January 29, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

@ tURBO8:

Wheaton doesn't count. Covered roof = not outside. It's not the same as skating through a snow storm, or while the sun is rising. Man I'm getting corny nostalgic.

Posted by: ThisGuy | January 29, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

@ the XM guys - I'd more expect the Caps to be thinking cap space at the deadline. To me that means letting Nylander and/or other non-key fowards go to keep the pipeline full of picks and prospects or maybe some extra on D. Poti back is good, and we all seem to love Alzner, but it's safe to say there is still not of depth at the blueline. Any tweaks in goal would be risky unless they think Lord Varlamov is ready for regular play and/or bench duty in the NHL.

Posted by: TheCapitalist1 | January 29, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

why at a country club? why not have it somewhere else where 99.9% of the population can enjoy it too? don't we "joe the plumbers" deserve to watch them as much as those elitist snobby cc people?

Posted by: Andoy | January 29, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

@ Andoy: A great idea, but if you've heard of an outdoor public rink in the area you're the first.

There used to be a mini-skating rink in the Bethesda Metro pavilion, sort of a cheap Rockefeller Center knock-off. But I don't think it still exists.

Posted by: ThisGuy | January 29, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Something about this doesn't make sense. The capitals are holding an outdoor rink practice at the Chevy Chase Country Club but it's closed to the public?? I understand that you might need to be a member to get into the country club, but wouldn't one see this has another great way for the Capitals and their fans to bond together? I mean the sessions they do with individual players at ESPNZone is great but I think this would be an even better chance for the fans, especially the young kids to watch and maybe pick up a few lessons along with some autographs afterwards. Am I wrong in thinking this way?

Posted by: mlewis31 | January 29, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Disgraceful if they are not taking from the rich and giving to the poor for charity?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 29, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I have what I consider to be a cool idea. The Caps could donate real boards and glass to the rink that operates across from the National Archives. They could also send a good ice guy out there the week before the Caps come to insure the ice is good as to not suffer an injury. Then it could be open to the public in the downtown mall area.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 29, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope our writers never print a cry-baby story like this one. What a bunch of goons that team, and their writers are...

Posted by: SA-Town | January 29, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

austinsteve (from previous), No kegs on campus anymore, but we did still sled on dhall trays until this year, when they decided to be more earth friendly and got rid of the trays unless you asked for one or had a need for one. (I got offered one when I was on crutches at the beginning of the year, cause, you know, you've got two hands to carry a tray when you're on crutches)
117 & Dave, I'll be go-between if you guys still need one. jmu.capsgirl - gmail

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 29, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Guys, aren't the Caps' practices at Kettler open to the public? Who cares if they hold a closed practice at another rink once a year? Or do you care because it is at a country club, which you are not a member of? I'm just asking the questions...

Posted by: tylerro | January 29, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Why is the game at 12:30 tomorrow?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 29, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

wishful thinking - i meant Saturday

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 29, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

@lyle

The game is on Saturday first of all.

Second, the Caps have a day game on Super Bowl Sunday, so they have to play a day if they are to go back-2-back.

Wizzle also play Saturday night.

Posted by: SA-Town | January 29, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I love the jealous comments directed at Country Clubs, deny it all you want, but the motivation for this type of talk is that you would very much like a spare 80grand to get into a Country Club like Chevy. Of course, if you join a Club like this, you probably also have a spare mil for other toys and stuff.

Posted by: gtydings | January 29, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

@Section117

I missed the opening post - OMG! Hy-ster-i-cal!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 29, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Not surprised about the stories here at all. When I played bantams, we were INVITED there to play a game in January, probably 25 degrees outside, and the members came and told the parents they weren't allowed to stand inside. Whoops. Guess that's just me being jealous. I'm sure my parents (and everyone else here) just made all this stuff up.

Posted by: cstoneno37 | January 29, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

@ gtydings

Absolutely. I doubt there are many people in the world who wouldn't like to have a spare 80k to throw at something like that.

The thing, though, is that I wouldn't throw my spare 80k at something like that (if I had it). I would spoil myself with a covered ice rink in my backyard or buy myself a couple of cars or whatever. I wouldn't put it into a country club.

But, then again, that's poor me talking, not rich me.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | January 29, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

And I, too, have played at CCCC. The ice, when 25 degrees outside, can be great, depending there hasn't been snow, but it's windy as hell, not nearly bright enough at night, and my parents, too, were not allowed to watch inside.

I, personally, don't care to be a part of a country club (or any other club) that won't extend basic courtesies. But maybe these things have changed - it's been probably 10 years since I last played there.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | January 29, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I love being poor and not being able to go watch the Caps at my private country club while i sip on brandy in my smoking jacket and pretend I'm happy. Nothing but fake crazy people.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 29, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Call me a weirdo, but if I had a spare $80K in my hand, it'd pay off my debts, get me seats on the glass for next year, and the rest would be tucked into the old investment portfolio.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 29, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

@gtydings: hahahahaha. Can barely see through the tears in my eyes. My point was, unless it is a charity event, it should be open to the public, as are other Capitals practices. If Chevy Chase Country Club is the one that shuts the event off to the public the Capitals should walk away and play somewhere else. When I say the Capitals, I mean ownership. Do you really think that these guys want to go outside and freeze their butts off to get back to their roots.
I don't want to get back into my beater car that generated heat 20 minutes after I drive off on a cold winter day, heck no, I want my car that is warm enough to ride around in a T-shirt 5 minutes after I drive off. If the snobs want to see the Caps practice, or scrimmage, they can go to the top of the Ballston center like the rest of us steerage.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 29, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I played on "exclusive" Lake Royal in Fairfax when it was solid enough to skate on.

Posted by: austinsteve | January 29, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Boo-hoo I can't see them practice and it's all rich people's fault...but they are fake anyways, so I feel much better about myself

Posted by: gtydings | January 29, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

kittypawz, I'm with you. Country clubs aren't all they're cracked up to be, unless you thoroughly enjoyed high school and the soap opera that went along with it.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | January 29, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

fanohock, why would you care about this one practice when what, 150 throughout the year are open to the public? Is it because the fact that it's outdoors makes it unique, in the tradition of hockey roots? If that's the case I guess I see your point that it's a drag that everyone can't experience it. But if its simply that you feel simply every single practice should be open throughout the year, and anything less is undemocratic, then that seems a little over the top.

But how do you know the Cap don't enjoy it? Playing outside is definitely in the pond hockey spirit, everyone who knows hockey know this...

Otherwise this is general country club bashing, which makes sense, but has nothing to do with the Caps.

Posted by: capsfan7 | January 29, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

is there nothing that people on this board wont complain about? the team has been doing this for a few years now. i'm sure the club ponies up some dough to the caps charity for the honor. it's good for their members and good for the caps. i'm guessing they are able to sell a few more season tickets from the event as well, which benefits everyone. the team provides free entertainment on almost a daily basis at kettler. who cares if they want to have one closed session.

get over it, you sound like a bunch of whiners.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 29, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Did it ever occur to anyone that the Capitals might want to keep the public out of this one? This is supposed to be a team bonding experience and they should be able to partake in this activity without worrying about being hounded for autographs and the like.

Posted by: luvfades | January 29, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

"get over it, you sound like a bunch of whiners"

Well said dcsportsfan1. You have my vote for the best remark.

Posted by: opita1 | January 29, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

There is now, and has been for over 10 years, coffee and other hot drinks provided to guests in the skate shop at CCC. The visitor locker room is heated, and the viewing area for guests also is heated (though the best viewing areas, for guests and members, are both outside). Guests are allowed inside, but some areas are restricted. It's a beautiful rink to skate on (when the weather cooperates), and hopefully all the local DC hockey players get the opportunity. Unfortunately there will always be haters, but I guess they're relegated to the comments section while we watch the Caps and sip brandy.

Posted by: Mo-Ris | January 29, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

They still do the player auctions every year right?

I'd bet it'd be far less than $80k a-piece for two separate threesomes to play 9 holes with Ovie in the off-season.

Seems like he'd need a hat and some sunglasses against the summer sun though...

Posted by: austinsteve | January 29, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

thanks opita. before if go the club rink tonight, i do hope porterhouse has removed the excess wax from my skates and buffed with a fine chamois...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 29, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 29, 2009 12:51 PM

@fanohock1:

Well Said! Eat The Rich...for They Are Not Like Us!

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 29, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock1:

Just kidding of course, but you do make some very valid points

Posted by: Rhino40 | January 29, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Bwahahaha at all the whiners who are mad at rich people

Posted by: gtydings | January 29, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

There's very little room for much of a crowd at CCCC. My son played there a few times when he was doing youth hockey and once we outsider parents filled up the "balcony" and around the boards, there wasn't much room. Maybe could get 100 in there if really you packed folks in.

Posted by: capsfan77 | January 29, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

It is hard to believe that the griping continues about this. Big deal. If the players enjoy it, then more power to them. The color is Caps Red, not envy green. Give it a break.

Posted by: _Mark | January 29, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse