Leonsis on Loss in Detroit: 'Yuck'

Before Saturday's game, Brooks Laich and Alex Ovechkin spoke frankly about the Caps' discipline issues. After their 3-2 loss at Joe Louis Arena, where they took five minors and surrendered two more power-play goals, Coach Bruce Boudreau fumed about his team's "dumb" penalties. This morning, the man who signs the paychecks weighed in with an entry on his blog entitled, "Yuck".

From owner Ted Leonsis's blog, Ted's Take:

That game looked like a game played between grownups and some spoiled teenagers. When you play Detroit - in Detroit - you can't give them 5 power plays with stick based penalties. Everyone knows that.

Leonsis wasn't done.

We have left a couple of points on the table the last three games. We don't use excuses of playing on the road against great teams to start the season. If we stay out of the box, we have more points. Points matter at the beginning of the season as much as at the end of the season. We are learning how far we have to go to execute and truly become a good team.
As I have said before, miles to go before we sleep.

Read Ted's entire entry here.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 11, 2009; 12:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Red Wings 3, Caps 2
Next: Looking to Rebound at Home

Comments

My sentiments exactly.

Posted by: BlondeCapsFan | October 11, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

You tell 'em ted. I'm not too concerned though, this is one of the growing pains from having such young players who are so amazingly talented. I think this is why we play better when we are the underdogs, it helps keep the young egos in check.... we'll get it back though, these are lessons they have to learn and thankfully its still the beginning of the season. However if we see this towards the end, or in the post season again... I wont be nearly as calm...

I am glad that we do have some vets who get it, hopefully they can help teach the kids a lesson...

Posted by: mrszilla | October 11, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Wa? Defense is fine and I will continue to drink some "kool aid". This defense is SOLID!

Posted by: Hazz | October 11, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

First thing we need to do is resolve this absurd Nylander siutation. Play him, trade him or cut him. Ted, please step in.

Second, what's up with Greene's lack of goals? One goal in 14 playoff games last year (everyone blamed his "bad" shoulder) and no goals this year. He is a weak defender, and needs to score to be effective.

Third, the jury is still out on the 2nd line. They don't make dumb mistakes, but they don't score 5 on 5 either. Last year's second line was more effective.

Plenty of time to fix these things, and don't forget the Caps patsy schedule - six games each against TB, ALT, FLA.

Posted by: hockeypuck1 | October 11, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Everyone is overreacting after a loss, as usual. The fact of the matter is that we lost to the Red Wings by a single goal in Detroit. Not exactly a catastrophe.

@hockeypuck1

The Nylander situation is not as simple as you make it out to be. We can't trade him or cut him. I wish we could, but those options aren't available to us for reasons already discussed here a million times.

Posted by: ranndino | October 11, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

We need at least 2 real Defensemen

Posted by: jmy999 | October 11, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Also, the 2nd line will be better when Flash comes back. It will probably be Fleischmann - Morrison - Knuble, which I guess would relegate Laich to the 3rd line. But look at what happens. Just by Flash coming back it strengthens 2 lines. Our 2nd would be better with him and our 3rd would be more effective with Laich on it.

I also would really hope that it would bump Clark out of the line-up or to the 4th line, at least. For the life of me I can't see why he's even in the NHL. We have about 6 forwards in Hershey that I like much better than him. OK, I do really know why he's in the NHL. He has a one way contract. That's the only reason right now because he's absolutely useless out there. People kept using injuries as an excuse his horrendous play last year, but he's supposed to be fully recovered now and I don't see much improvement. He can barely receive a pass made right to his stick, always looks flustered, is slow as molasses, can't fake out a cone, can't shoot (whiffs on perfect setups all the time), can't pass. He's just taking up a roster spot at this point. I'd take Nylander over him any day.

Posted by: ranndino | October 11, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I have seen the Nylander posts, but hate reading about non-hockey stuff. I just sense its a standoff between him and GMGM. I would not want to be in that battle against an aging, stoic Swede who's first priorty is feeding his five kids.

I say give him a shot at some ice time. Can't hurt they way things are going.

Posted by: hockeypuck1 | October 11, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

DETROIT -- Mike Knuble clearly remembers what it was like to worship hockey stars as a child.

That's why the Kentwood native made sure one young Washington Capitals fan didn't leave Detroit disappointed.

When Knuble left the pregame skate Saturday morning before the Capitals faced the Detroit Red Wings later that night, he noticed a disappointed boy waiting near the team bus at Joe Louis Arena. Apparently, his family had traveled from Winnipeg, and the boy was hoping to get his jersey signed by Washington superstar Alexander Ovechkin.

Ovechkin, though, already had boarded the bus. So Knuble, himself a father, simply grabbed the boy's jersey and held up the team briefly to nab the treasured signature.

"You see a kid over there crying, you've got to make the situation right real fast if you can," Knuble said. "To be honest, the adults that go around looking for autographs don't really care if you turn them down. But they're kids, and you forget that as players. You were a kid once and it's a big thrill.

"He just missed Alex and it was an easy situation to rectify."

The gesture may have been easy for Knuble, but there's no doubt the generosity made the boy's day.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 11, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil, what a great story about Knuble. Thanks for passing it along!

Posted by: wocoliz | October 11, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Me on Leonsis "Yuck".

Posted by: SlavaKM | October 11, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Ted, Just let us know when it's time to panic.

Posted by: festus75 | October 11, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Ted "choke a fan" Leonsis talking about "grownups" ?

Stay classy....

Posted by: LarryDavid | October 11, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

5 year plan.
Yuck!

Posted by: SlavaKM | October 11, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

re: caps schedule w/ games versus TB & Atlanta. I think they might both be decent to good this year. TB has good mix of youngsters & veterans and free agent they brought in & Atlanta, if I recall, was perhaps the hottest team in the league during the last month last year and they're off to a good start this year.

really neither here nor there, but bottom line: Caps need to focus on getting their game right--can't rely on who we play, because if we play too lazy, cute or undisciplined, we can get beat by anybody (remember one or two of the NYI games last year which were tough?).

Posted by: pachanga74 | October 11, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

@hockeypuck1

Our second line this year was was producing goals this year -- until the 4th game. Who was our second line last year, besides a varying cast of characters? Essentially our second line last year on any given day could consist of any Top 12 forward not named Alexander Mikhailovich Ovechkin. Our 2nd line one day would be our 3rd line two months later, depending on who was hot or in the doghouse.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 11, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

@mrszilla

Yes, I feel the growing pains too. I feel the Caps are like my own kids. (That's what happens when we have 5 Caps within one year of my first born and 1 other Cap who's a year younger plus a few days.)

I'm feeling the fans are whoop, whooping a few of them out of town. Specifically, Semin, Green, and Schultz. Every time Semin has a bad game, the "trade Semin" lobby gets active. Every time any good player is available (Pronger, Heatley, Bouwmeester), the cry to "trade Semin for him" comes out. BTW, I think overall, Semin and Green have won more for us than lost for us, last night's game to the contrary. If anyone wants to recall what we're like sans Semin & Green, just remember our game against the San Jose Sharks last year, not to mention the next game against the Minnesota Wild.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 11, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow, even the owner describes the game as "Yuck". How can the coach say the team played well. Ted, GMGM, and BB should get together to get their stories straight.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | October 11, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

@ freakinandpeaking.

Because the coach knows the game, and owner doesn't know sh*t about sh*t.
How's AOL doing these days?

Posted by: SlavaKM | October 11, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

When will the owner of this team realize that he has a lot of imaturity on this team. Semin, Green, Ovie at times, these guys need to grow up and play hard nose hockey for 60 minutes each game or else they will land in 7th or 8th place. Flyers and Pens are the cream of the conference with the Caps trailing closely behind. Wake up and get a defenseman. Philly did it and it is paying dividends for them already.

Posted by: diner99 | October 11, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

@mrszilla

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 11, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

AMEN. Seriously, people who call for Semin to be traded are on crack or don't understand the sport. I don't like to blame things on new fans and I can't tell if that's the factor here but it seems to me that people forget that players are actual people and not machines. Those of us who have been around a while know this is the best team we've had in a very long time. And I for one am not going to have knee-jerk reactions to every loss because every team loses games and the difference here is that our boys can actually improve. Bet you a million they have yet to reach their peak.

The closest person to being a machine in Ovie and even he has bad nights (which he admitted re: the Rags game). Granted his bad is most peoples best but Semin and Green are top players in the league and anyone who thinks otherwise isn't paying attention. No player on any team is without flaws, thankfully our guys are young and actually have room to grow and improve.

Posted by: mrszilla | October 11, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

LarryDavid and SlavaKM: Ted has more of a right to have an opinion on the Caps than the two of you boneheads. He signs the checks you fools. If the owner sucks, the stars suck, the coach sucks, and the 3rd and 4th liners suck, why on GOD's green earth are you a fan of the team? Just pick another team, it's as easy as that. For all we know you have logins to a bunch of teams and launch grenades there too.

I agree with Capsfan75, "fans" may drive some of these players out of town. Semin may not want to play for another NHL team because he is so tight with Ovi, but I could see him heading to the KHL once he's heard enough. My wife saw an interview done by Semin through an interpreter where he conveyed, in basic terms, the fans ride them all the time and if they think it is so easy to come on down and give it a try. I would love to see some of the $marta$$e$ step on the ice with my son's U18AA team to see how f'in hard it is. They would like you guys up. None of these guys don't try. Winning means way the heck more to them than to any of us.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 11, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

SlavaKM,
Are you a pitt fan or something? Or are you one of these guys who likes to trash people until the team starts winning? The problems are not coaching or ownership. It is undisciplined young forwards who don't like to play defense the right way and get lazy. 28 will learn or be shipped out (the Bouwmeaster trade isn't looking so bad now is it). Our GM hasn't really distinguished himself in the areas of drafting good team players outside of the top 4. If you suck on D and make no changes, you will still suck on D. The Nylander situation is just a pissing contest that GMGM will end up losing if he doesn't change something quickly. It handcuffs our defense by not allowing moves to be made. So before calling out the owner who has made DC a hockey town, or a coach who has done pretty damn well, look to to player personnel department. Throw as much hate as you want.

Posted by: bestpilotonearth | October 11, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

fanohock1-

That's my fear too. If Semin leaves we will be kicking ourselves for the rest of our lives.... I think the problem is that people only pay attention to our team, they don't see that other teams and other players lose and have bad days and good days. It's not like any team in the NHL wins every game with a shoot out. I mean come on people.

Posted by: mrszilla | October 11, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

*meant shutout, not shoot out. multitasking doesnt really work!

Posted by: mrszilla | October 11, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

IROCKTHERED said a bunch of things I agreed with a few "insider" comments posts ago about the Detroit game. The only thing I didn't get was the "send Nylander back to Sweden"---which I don't think we can do without his permission.

Tominfl was right that the Caps were going to and DID improve their game last night. I do think the whistle should have been blown by the refs when Theo was shoved onto his back in the net. But it was a good game played between two excellent teams. If I wasn't a Caps fan, I'd probably be a Detroit fan.

Ted, please don't panic or say childish things like "yuck" about your team. Sure we want to see them improve and win and play the kind of hockey they are capable of. Let's all remember how great we feel about them when they win---and let's support that. I'll bet none of the Caps players is HAPPY they lost. Jeez, they're human, so try being positive instead of jumping on the "yuck" train. Guys need to learn some lessons, sure, and some of those lessons are carried over from last year. I still think they are amazing athletes who will hit their stride and get it together.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | October 11, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Lately I've just felt tired reading this board. Posters lurch from one dire prediction to another, demands for a trade, or fire the manager and/or the coach. Many know more about the nuances of hockey, what was a good maneuver or when defense broke down etc. But I can tell about the overall energy and chemistry of a game. There was a difference in the quality of the play in the last three games. The painful one to watch was of course the one against the Rangers. The Flyers game was intense, the Caps didn't let up. And last night's game was better than the Rangers one, that is all BB said. He didnheyday that they played well--only better. My personal frustration with the Caps is with
the penalties. I am not a believer of conspiracies but of reputations. We have a reputation of taking stupid penalties which leads to more calls against us that are more dubious. We have to play a cleaner
more disciplined game to change our rep. Only then will the ref calls go our way. HOWEVER that doesn't mean I am ready to get rid of players or the coach. We have the whole season to work on this. Fans need to have more patience.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | October 11, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

The Flyers have been giving up goals in bunches now too. They gave up 5 against the Caps, and 5 to the Pens. Since they played the Caps they haven't won. So explain again why it was a great idea to give up all the future draft picks and a good young defensive prospect in Sbisa for an old man named Pronger? The Flyers are in the bottom half of the league averaging 3GA a game with 15.

Defensively Calgary has given up only 1 less goal against than the Caps too. I watched Dallas vs Calgary on Friday and I heard the broadcast guy refer to Bowmeester as a cone, yes a cone, because a Star went around him when it was a one on one, untouched, and Kyprosof (sp) had to make a great save.

My point in all BS I just spewed is...the grass is always greener from the other side.

As for me. I like our lawn and the team we have playing in it.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 11, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

trade ovechkin. he sucks.

Posted by: richmondphil | October 11, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Everyone chill, i'm dealing with the losses the best i can.

PS. I hate the pens.
And I'm not crazy about Leonsis as some of you.

Posted by: SlavaKM | October 11, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Yep, Leonsis has only turned this team from a laughing stock where people were talking about moving them out of DC into a SC contender in less than 5 years. He Sucks!

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | October 11, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

The Ducks need to trade Niedermeyer. He just deflected a shot past Giguere while trying to kill a penalty. He $ucks.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 11, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

The Rangers need to get rid of Gaborik. He just entered the offensive zone, stopped just inside the blueline stopping the flow up ice, and then it was stolen from him by a backchecker. He $ucks.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 11, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

LOL @ CTCapsFan.
For a moment there, i thought you were talking about the Penguins, until you mentioned contenders. Those guys aren't conteders. Silly me.

Posted by: SlavaKM | October 11, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

That story had been posted on the Alex Ovetjkin fan site. Very nice of Knuble to sign the kid's jersey before going on the bus. Someday, I hope to meet Knuble. He sounds cool (and I consider him my birthday present.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 11, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately for us the Pens seem to be on a winning streak.

This was a wonderful story about Knuble getting the autograph for the kid. Every quote I hear from him is astute and mature. I can see why BB see captain potential in him.

Maybe it is good in some way that we are getting hammered on the first month. Maybe easy successes would have gotten us complacent and we would run out of steam in the end.

What I don't get is why we are running into the same problems as last year. Maybe something more radical is needed--a real culture change--to really transform this team.

Ha ha! Ted calling the team teenagers as compared to Detroit's "adults" is funny. Maybe it is the root cause.

Posted by: caraveli | October 11, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Wow, a 1 goal loss in hockeytown in oct is enough to bring out some trolls. I guess that's progress. Used to be a one goal loss to the wings was cause for celebration. At least Ted is willing to express his opinion about his team, unlike some other owners in town.

He's calling out green and semin...they need to know it's a 60 minute game and that while highlight reel goals are nice, playing smart is what wins the game.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 11, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

On, on the subject of guys not being perfect machines, guess who's had as many penalties as Green and Semin combined. Yes, you read right, combined. None other than Yevgeny Malkin who has 16 penalty minutes, all minor penalties, for stuff such as interference, holding, high sticking.

Of course, he's doing well and the Pens are doing great.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 11, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Leonsis, like us fans, is obviously frustrated. Granted, the team played better as a whole Saturday than they did against the Rangers. But, I must admit I was pretty mad afterwards.

But, let's hope Leonsis never becomes like Dan Snyder or George Steinbrenner and starts interfering with things.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 11, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Geez--what's with all this trade Semin talk. Really! Too many posters here have a knee-jerk reaction to his play, as well as to the Caps. If you look at the total number of games he has played so far, he has excelled. He has made some beautiful goals and passes. One game not as strong with a couple of exasperating penalties and some of you are ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I am far more concerned with our signing an extension with him--as well as Backstrom--than I am over a game where he didn't play as well as he had.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | October 11, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

@caraveli

On Leonsis calling our guys teenages compared to Detroit's adults. Our guys are definitely younger than their guys.

How do the Pens do it, with their kids. And they are even worse than us in the penalty department.

I'm sure Semin and Green are both feeling pretty bad about things at the moment.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 11, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

I rather Ted didn't express his opinions about the team. The guy is an internet junkie, (like most of us), but most of us don't own hockey teams and are not big public figures. What he says online has greater audience and potential for a bigger backlash. Ted also, doesn't like criticism, but he enjoys calling people out in his blog.

Posted by: SlavaKM | October 11, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

@SlavaKM--If we are not contenders then what are we--just another hokey hockey team on bad ice that no one wants to watch or talk about. Oh and the Pens--didn't they struggle for the first part of last season. That was a rhetorical comment on snotty pointless one-liners.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | October 11, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

@newbiecapsfan07

Unfortunately, that is typical around here. Anytime, Semin has a bad game, here come the calls to get rid of him. Anytime, any good player on another team is rumored to be available, the calls come to trade Semin to get him. Examples: Pronger, Heatley, Bouwmeester.

On Thursday night, after Boyd Gordon's second consecutive game of taking a bad penalty, I had pointed out that "imagine if that had been Alexander Semin instead the outcry would be worse". Did I jinx things somehow?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 11, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I loved the Knuble story. I did meet him indirectly at the convention--joined a group late where he was signing autographs ad hoc. Then heard him at the panel. Really enjoyed him. Down to earth and practical. As my son said that day, "he's such a dad."

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | October 11, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, Semin has acted and played immaturely before. Remember he sat out and stayed in Russia until we sued him and won. He has had his lazy problems for a few years. Remember Ovie smashing his ipod, that was after Kolzig rightfully called out Semin for selfish play. I think 28 is an amazing talent, he just needs to be jarred into reality by a coach or GM. If he thinks he is above reproach because of his relationship with ovie, send him packing. I don't ever want that to happen but he does have to mature and become coachable.

Posted by: bestpilotonearth | October 11, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Slavs, teds a pretty smart guy and knows all too well the power of the Internet and his blog. He wouldn't post anything on a whim or without thinking about the consequences. He has been sendingthe same message all year. The team hasn't won anything yet,don't believe the hype etc. This is yet another way of letting the team know he's not satisfied.

It's October. Better this goes on now than in the spring like last year.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 11, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

No jinx CapsFan75. Rather I think that the top line just couldn't keep producing at that same rate of intensity. No player or players can. Ovie himself came up short. When I read this short-sighted negativity I think that some of these people really shouldn't have children--no patience and unrealistic expectations of perfection. I do see our tendency to get penalties as a problem but so does BB and management--and clearly Ted--though clearly many posters feel that he should just dole out money and keep his mouth shut. Another unrealistic expectation. I rather enjoy his frankness as well as his clear commitment to this team.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | October 11, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

@ newbiecapsfan07

Let me clarify.
I'm not pro Semin Trade.
I'm not bashing the players.
I hate pens, and i dont like Leonsis.

So when someone tells me what a great job Leonsis did to this struggling team, I want to remind them that he did what was given to him, a nobrainer Ovechkin draft, followed by Backstrom. He already had Semin.
Pens had similar position, except they tanked more and got lucky at the lottery.
But they faced bankruptcy and relocation, they have been to the finals twice and came away with the cup.
They did that in the same amount of time.
Caps? They continued to build their 5yr excuse plan. We don't put the best team on the ice, we send better players down to Hershey instead.
I think front office is more interested in Calder cups than Stanley Cups.

Posted by: SlavaKM | October 11, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Ted "choke a fan" Leonsis talking about "grownups" ?

Stay classy....

Posted by: LarryDavid | October 11, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

my guess is that the guy who got chocked was one of those obnoxious "whoop, whoopers".. if so they deserve more than chocking

Posted by: joek443 | October 11, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

@bestpilotonearth

Yes, Semin has shown immaturity in the past. But I can see, he has grown a lot from the earlier days.

He has improved his defense from earlier.

He's still not perfect but much better than in the past.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 11, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

@newbiecapsfan07

Yes, I sometimes wonder how some of our posters would do, with having children.

For you fans with grown kids, think back about the difference between how they were at Age 18-19 and compare it to how they were at Age 24-25. There is probably a big difference. I've noticed the change in my first child (as well as in a certain individual we've been discussing here, ad nauseum.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 11, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

1) freakinandpeakin: You are right, you have me 2 of 3 so far.
2) an owner in any sport has to be very, very, very careful before interjecting his opinion. Because, when he does so, he undermines both the GM and the coach. This is like in the Navy if the admiral comes down and berates the men swabbing the deck. So what then does the captain do?
3) Semin and Green are unique talents and they are young. You know, they had the Wings and Hawks on the other day on NHL Network from the 60s. Guess what? Gordie Howe went into the box. Ted Lindsay went into the box. I don't know if Bobby Hull went, but he coulda.
3A) Ovie has 11 years after this year on his contract.
3A-1) Sign Backstrom 11 yr xtension $66M.
3A-2) Sign Semin 11 yr xtension $60M.
3A-3) Have 9 yr/$54M ready for Green when his contract is ready at the end of 2011-12.

The kids will be all right.

Jeezou-peets. All they need, IMHO, as I've been saying since last winter, is a 1st pair, defensive defenseman, and they don't need him until March 1st.

Oh, yeah, now they need one other thing - they need the owner to let the GM do his job. Last time the owner tried to do the GM's job, what did we get - we got Jagr with a ridiculous contract.

Mr. Leonsis: I respect you greatly, but like some of the Caps, you have just behaved like a teenager.

Signed, Respectfully,
tominfl1

btw, I'm at the game courtesy of fanohock Monday night and hope to see a few of you.

Section 430, row H seat 6.

Oh, I'll be the guy wearing the Ovechkin jersey.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 11, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

@ csportsfan1

Don't believe the hype. Buy more tickets!

:P

Posted by: SlavaKM | October 11, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

As for me. I like our lawn and the team we have playing in it.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 11, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Defensemen in hockey are kinda like offensive linemen in football. most casual football fans only notice o-line men when they have a penalty called upon them. 90 percent of the times when they block their men, most people harldly notice.

except when they score or deliver a big hit, the only times that most people notice defensemen is when they give up goals. I've got news for those who say Green should sit, be traded or whatever.. there were times when the secretary of defense himself Rod Langway looked lazy, helpless against the likes of Mike Bossy, Tim Kerr and Mario Lemieux. the players on the other team get paid to make plays just like the Caps players.

Posted by: joek443 | October 11, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

LOL @ CTCapsFan.

Posted by: SlavaKM | October 11, 2009 7:09 PM

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | October 11, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

LOL @ CTCapsFan.

Posted by: SlavaKM | October 11, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

@SlavaKM--My comments about Semin and Leonsis was my reaction to the overall negativity I was reading on this board. It was not directed at you. What WAS directed at you was my post taking you to task for your pointless comment about the Caps not being contenders.

meaningless one-liners, such as the one above. was responding to your post here. But you are too fond of meaningless one-liners.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | October 11, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

trading semin or green would be nucking futts. end of story. what do you believe you are going to get in return that would be remotely equal to what they are like on their good nights? really? anything? their good nights far outweigh their bad nights.

it's a couple bad games, people. quit spazzing out and let it go.

btw, ted, it's not such a good pr move or hr move to publically embarrass two of your top players by calling them 'spoiled teenagers' in an open forum. they are grown men who deserve to be treated as adults. how would you have felt at their age to be called a spoiled teenager by your boss? you'd've probably hated the guy for humilitating you, and found a new job as fast as possible. so....just saying, you might want to remember you may own the team, and you have every right to speak your mind about the team, but you don't actually physically own the men who make up your team. you pay their salary. there's a difference.

Posted by: spinner-33 | October 11, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

"This right here proves you aren't a Caps fan if you are supporting the Pens instead of the Caps. Or it proves you are a bad fan."

So drinking koolaid and being a blind homer is what being a Caps fan is all about?

Posted by: SlavaKM | October 11, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Oops--didn't cut and paste too well in my last post. Sorry!

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | October 11, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Great post. Glad you'll be at the game with fanohock. (I'll be at the game tomorrow also -- down in Section 117.)

Like me, you have kids around the age of our current Capitals and can see the difference in how they act (versus how they did a few years ago). If I remember correctly, your middle kid is about the age of Brooks Laich and Boyd Gordon.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 11, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

BTW SlavaKM--I'm not taking you to task for admiring the Pens. Just try to use solid analysis not verbal jabs. Last year the spotlight was on the Pens and they struggled in the first part of the season--the change came with their new coach (and NO I am not advocating getting rid of BB). My point is that the season is long and the Caps have time to figure out how to correct their mistakes and fill in the holes. The spotlight is on us, we started strong, then struggled. But hey it's only October. No need to panic.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | October 11, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Look, I'd like to explain for those who don't understand about the "delegation of authority." This is a military thing, and we aren't in the miliotary, but it works like that in business.

You have an owner. He hires a president to run non-on-ice affairs and a GM to be responsible for the on-ice product. The GM hires a scouting director, a coach and an asst GM to do contracts, cap figures, etc.

The owner has the prerogative but doesn't tell the troops how to do their jobs. Just like the editor-in-chief doesn't tell Tarik to make a grammatical correction in the blog.

Let me provide an example we all know or should know. You are watching a John Wayne movie. If you don't, you should, Anyway, the setting is Arizona Territory, Apache country, circa 1880. The Duke is leading his calvary troop across the dust-covered trail. Through years of experience, plus his horse has just whispered in his ear, he has decided to walk the horses awhile.

Troop Captain (Wayne): (Lifts right arm). "Lieutenant, order the men to dismount and walk."

Lieutenant (played by the young Hollywood star of that moment): (turns to sergeant). "Sergeant, tell the men to dismount and walk."

Sergeant (played by crusty Victor McLaughlin: "Dismount and walk! Anyone wants to complain, you can carry your horse!"

It's called the delegation of authority and it's been around since Adam told Eve to get Cain and Able to cut the lawn.

Eve incidently told Adam what the he!! he could do with the lawnmower.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 11, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

slava, like him or not, what ted did with this team took a lot of ball$$. breaking up a team and starting from scratch in a town that was losing interest and in the face of the lockout was not easy.

comparisons w/ the pens will go on until ovie and crosby hang em up. but lets be real, dont give me the ovie no brainer and pens had something similar excuse. the pens made what turns about to be a good trade to get fleury number one. then get a number 2 when the number 2 is a number one in 99% of any other draft class...then gets another number 1 and number two pick...dont tell me they are the same. pens had two no brainers and a close to no brainer. meanwhile semin was a 13 pick and most folks wanted kessel instead of backstrom in his draft.

also, the pens sucked worse than the caps for several years since mario retired. they were last for like 4 years before they made the playoffs. so to say they've done it in the same amount of time is incorrect. they have at least a year or two head start on their rebuild.

they have also been more aggressive in trading picks for players who can help them now. guerin, hossa, gil, etc. they have done better in the playoffs and won the cup and that's all that counts. but they've also traded a bit of their future too. the caps may never win a cup, but i like their long term prospects better then the pens, i really do.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 11, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

@ Posted by: newbiecapsfan07

I'm not here to write reviews or throw blame around. I'm venting, my one liners help me relax. I giggle when i write them, "ha ha".
I'm sorry my immature manner lured you into a meaningless discussion on the internet.

PS.
What contender is at the bottom of the league in terms of GA?

Posted by: SlavaKM | October 11, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1 and CapsFan75--we will be there too in Ovie and Varly jersies--also up high. We like our bird's eye view of the game!

I am really interested in how we respond tomorrow. I recall the Devils as being a very defensively minded team--is that true? It strikes me that we have more trouble in general with defensive teams. But that's only my impression. I'm still trying to parse the various systems and styles of various teams.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | October 11, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Okay SlavaKM--I won't respond to you anymore. Keep on venting. Everyone is entitled. I'll just ignore your posts.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | October 11, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

But I agree with dcsportsfan--gotta go. Bedtime around here.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | October 11, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

1) I for one never advocated obtaining Mister Bouwmeester. He costs more than he's worth. I have advocated a "Mark Tinordi type" if we can get him; if not, a "Bob Rouse type."
2) CapsFan75: If you tell me where you'll be, what time of the game, we can meet up.
3) My nose is on fire. This isn't a code of some kind. Mrs tominfl1 just cut up the next batch of london broil strips to marinate for 4 days to make beef jerky when I get back from business trip to DC. I added several jalapenos and a few of those curly hot, red peppers. I washed my hands several times but obviously not enough, then rubbed under my nose with the back of my hand. I'm drinking tequila as fast as I can, but it isn't helping. Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 11, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Nobody is gonna give you something for nothing. And this team is short on defensemen despite what GMGM and BB say publically. IF the defense doesn't improve and an opportunity to acquire a top notch defensive defenseman such as Pronger comes along again this year, they will have to consider trading Semin to get such a player.

most fans don't like trading away offense to get defense, especially now in the age of fantasy leagues in which only the players who put up tangible offensive stats seem to matter to most but unless you can play great defense in the playoffs, you can NEVER win anything.

Posted by: joek443 | October 11, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

ewbiecapsfan07

Okay, but try not to cry yourself to sleep.

Posted by: SlavaKM | October 11, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

here's one for Mark Tinordi

Posted by: joek443 | October 11, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

newbiecapsfan: If CapsFan75 says where she'll be and at what time, I will be there and you can be there too.

God I hope my nose has quit burning by then. This will be the HOTTEST!!!!! batch of beef jerky in the history of mankind. Jalapenos and curly red peppers put into the marinate. Then I will cut more and put them on the pieces when they go in the dehydrator. Plus I'll put crushed black pepper and dry red pepper seeds. I think I learned to like this stuff in an earlier life.

"What's that yer eatin', pilgrim?"

"Beef jerky, sir."

"Can I try one?"

I offer. "Yes, sir."

The Duke takes a strip and bites off a piece. His eyes widen. Then he smiles. "Mighty hot, pilgrim."

"Yes, sir, the way I like it."

He smiles again and offers me a bottle. "Me, too. This'll wet yer whistle."

I take a swig. It's awful, but I don't care. My captain is happy and the sun is setting. Time to put in for the night.

"Captain, can we watch the hockey game on TV?"

The Duke scratches his head. "What?"

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 11, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

joek443: There was a time in my life when I loved Mark Tinordi almost as much as mrs tominfl1.

First, let me say, my wife is awful as a stay-at-home defenseman.

But as a stay-at-home cook and wife?

I don't think Tinner could hold a candle.

Honestly, if we had Tinordi from April 26th, 1996, (I think we lost that playoff game that day - Sunday afternoon? - to Pitt cuz if I recall Carey didn't play well) we would have ALL WE NEED to be the Cup favorite.

Bouwmeester isn't that person. Neither is Chara. Phaneuf - YES! Pronger...this year...maybe he isn't too old.

I also remember Tinordi pulling that act ("Come and get me!") in Detroit when Caps were shorthanded two men and he had already been knocked senseless. And you have to love the way Shoney challenged Trots (asst coach then) in the clip.

Shoney was a really good coach. So was Ron Wilson. Plus Brian and Terry Murray. We've been lucky, except for that kid that McPhee hired a few years back.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 11, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1,

I think if the current Caps team had half the toughness of this team, they would be quite alright.

Posted by: joek443 | October 11, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

still not sure why Berube was swinging at Sweeney.. if my memory serves Don Sweeney was a Harvard man... LOL

Posted by: joek443 | October 11, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Why tominfl1 I do enjoy your stories. A little laughter is good for the soul.

We are in section 404. At the time we thought for three tickets "affordable"; we can always upgrade later. Now we are just happy to have them.

I do hope the Caps can pull it together tomorrow night. We all--players and fans alike--need a good game.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | October 11, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

newbie: Hope we all get together.

joek: I KNEW as soon as you posted that you would put that game. I remember the announcers saying how Olie and Byron had been best man at the other's wedding.

If you really want the greatest slugfest of all-time, Caps-wise, it was like Jan 30, 1991. Just after the Caps got Iafrate from the Leafs. Caps vs Filthy. I think it was one of John Kordic's six games as a Cap. Fights early and fights often. Dale Hunter skated from the blueline full-speed and put Flyer #5 (Gord Murphy?) into the end boards with what would be five-minute major for boarding.

Everyone on that team was tough. None were tougher than Ciccarelli, as small as he was. We named our cat "Dino" after him. That cat was nasty too.

If they only had an Ovechkin.

And, now, if we only had a Tinordi.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 11, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

BTW, Tinordi was not on the 1990-91 Caps team. He didn't come until 1995 I think with a draft pick for Kevin Hatcher.

I was using him as a reference. The bottom line is every team but one, each year, is short at least one player.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 11, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I remember that fight... mostly I remember Iafrate shadow-boxing for a couple minutes and the actual fight only lasted two sec...

LOL he was NO fighter

Posted by: joek443 | October 11, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1 & @newbiecapsfan07,

Since we're not working tomorrow, I'll likely arrive at the game before 6:30, more likely 6:15.

I'm in Section 117, near the back on the aisle. (Lots of people come to our section to watch the players warm up.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 11, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

speaking of Big Al, players like him are number one reason why most coaches don't have a lot of hair..

Posted by: joek443 | October 11, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75: OK, hope to be there.

btw, mrs tominfl1 is watching this show on cable, "Californication."

Has anyone seen this? I'm seriously thinking Kathleen Turner could be the answer for the 1st pair, defensive defenseman we need.

I know, I know, you're saying, "But, tominfl1, she's girl."

Ha! Have you seen her face? Listened to her voice? She looks like William Shatner in his 70s on steroids and sounds like Burgess Meredith when he played The Penguin.

Since Boudreau is rotating defensemen anyway, I say we give Kathleen Turner a chance.

If nothing else, I want to see how it reads when Ted criticizes her for "playing like a teenager."

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 11, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

she used to soooooooooooo hot...

saw her in an episode of law and order a couple years ago and I could hardly recognize her.. what a shame :(

Posted by: joek443 | October 11, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bestpilotonearth | October 11, 2009 7:45 PM

I think maybe you should read up on the situation before you make a claim like that. Semin was in Russia for one reason, and it wasn't because he wanted to be there. It had nothing to do with his "laziness."

Posted by: richmondphil | October 11, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

Good point, Phil. Semin was in Russia for one reason -- there was a lockout for the NHL. After that, then along came the military service controversy; etc.

To all the Semin critics out there, how mature were YOU at age 21 or 22?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 11, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Enjoyed your story on Ciccarelli (and the fact that you named a cat for him).

Too bad we had the limousine incident involving him and Scott Stevens.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 11, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75-We will stop by. Hope to meet you too tominfl1 it would be great to meet other fans. Plus I love watching the Caps warm up. I love that happy this could be a really great game feeling.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | October 11, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Now, joek443, you've reminded me of one of my favorite all-time Caps, Big Al Iafrate.

Christmas Break, 1993 I think. Big Al was hot, having won the slapshot contest at the All-Star Game. He was also on the local rock station once a week, professing love for his favorite band - Copperhead.

Yes, I just went through my CDs and found the signed copy, "Al Iafrate #34," from my collection.

I remember he was signing all this stuff like hockey cards and I put the CD in front of him and he was taken aback. Because he really loved Copperhead. He stopped and looked at me and said, "You like them?"

"Yeah," I said, "they're like Skynyrd."

He wanted to talk more about rock n roll but I was tongue-tied. Several other times in life I've met celebrities and was tongue-tied then too. Oh well. But I still have that CD. Right in front of me.

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 11, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tominfl---will this be your first visit to the phonebooth? At any rate, I hope you have a good "vibe" and bring the boys some luck. And, hey, Kathleen Turner went a little south not long after "Body Heat", poor gal. But seriously, her voice is like Burgess Meredith's penguin voice? Methinks you've been treating your burning nose with un pocito too much of the old tequila there, pal!

Travel safely and bring some good voodoo with you.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | October 11, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Agree with dccitizen1. Hope you bring good vibes to Verizon. Turn our luck around.

I'm no celebrity, so the tougue tied thing should not apply. (As for celebrities, which ones have I ever met? A few Star Trek actors, a couple of former Redskins who I met because their kids were swimming with my kids, and a few Caps.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 11, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

@dccitizen1

And to think that Kathleen Turner is only a year younger than me. Bouds is a year and a half younger than me.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 11, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Dino has always been my favorite NHL player. Him leaving actually made me start liking the Wings and not liking the Caps (at the time I was too young to be told the real reason he was traded so I thought the Caps just got rid of him for no reason). It is interesting tominfl that your car was named after him. My parents named our cat Murphy after Larry because my mom felt bad that eveyone blamed him for everything. The funny part of the story was we were at the Capital when the Wings won in 1997 with Larry on the team and when my mom told Larry the story he gave her a crazy look and walked away.

Posted by: icehammer97 | October 11, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Today I went over to Kettler (to ice skate). So, when I was done skating, I walked out and glanced at the other rink; i.e. the one the Caps normally practice at.) There seemed to be hockey practice going on. Not that unusual since so many youth teams have games and/or practice there. But the first thing that struck me was the size of the players. Definitely adults. I walked over and noticed, sure enough, the New Jersey Devils were having practice. The stands were sparsely populated. There were two men dressed in suits who were standing at the glass, near the entrance between the two sets of bleachers. Not all the Devils were practicing, by my count. I couldn't identify anyone in particular. Interesting.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | October 11, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tess2201 | October 11, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1,

my sister also liked Iafrate very much, was like her second fav player next to Bondra.

he had a ton of talent, I've always thought that he should have been better than he was.. there was really nothing he couldn't do as a hockey player.. I've always thought that he was Jeff George of hockey

and that trade turned out to a really bad one for the Caps.. not only did they give up a solid d-man (Bob Rouse) to get him, to this day I maintain that bringing him also ruined the career of Kevin Hatcher with the Caps. he became a totally different player as soon as his childhood rival became his teammate - stopped being physical and tried to play like Iafrate.

Posted by: joek443 | October 12, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Off to the airport shortly for first visit to VC (actually it's a training thing for work).

I sure hope Kathleen Turner doesn't show up in the next seat.

"YOU'RE the one!"

Posted by: tominfl1 | October 12, 2009 6:36 AM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75: Where does the time go? I remember really liking Keith Magnuson of the Chicago Blackhawks (okay, I was pretty young at the time, still...) so I checked youtube for some of his fights. (I remember him missing a few teeth.) Those fights are not the best video quality, but it's clear the guys weren't wearing helmets as a matter of course, and fisticuffs were the order of the day. I like hockey better now.

@Tominfl: Probably too late to catch you before you get on the plane, but don't worry about ol' Kathleen Turner. She played a private detective, VI Warshawski who hunted down a cold-blooded killer who has murdered Boom-Boom Grafalk, a former Chicago Blackhawk. So it seems to me she'd be more of a hockey fan than a fan killer.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | October 12, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

per Tim Leone:
...Rookie Anton Gustafsson was scratched for a fourth straight game, fueling speculation that the centerman is poised to return to play in his native Sweden. "I don't think there's been any official assignment or anything right now," French said. "I would expect something early in the week."

Posted by: tess2201 | October 12, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Count me in with the "shut up, Ted" crowd. I like Ted but I cringe when he starts chiming in with his overly simplistic ra-ra or poo-poo web ramblings. I especially don't like when he chimes in to call out fans who do the same thing.

The Caps have a better than average team this year. It's pretty tough to watch people panic so quickly. We can lose a few games. We can wait a while to move Nylander. We can take a few penalties. The sun will rise. My hope is that BB and GMGM don't overeact to early adversity and damage the team's long term chances of success.

Posted by: megatroll1 | October 12, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SlavaKM | October 11, 2009 8:21 PM

My last remark on this because it is a waste of my time to respond to you.

No, but supporting your favorite team no matter what is called being a fan. I have supported this team since 1974 and I will always. This is a SC contending team, whether you think so or not.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | October 12, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

CTCapsPhan, I grew up in CT rooting for the Caps starting back in 82. Where in CT you from? Wallyworld myself.

Posted by: jwash4472 | October 12, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Tarik? Katie? ANYBODY? - Where's the morning reading list? It's game day, and all this gloom-and-doom is getting on my nerves.

Posted by: irockthered | October 12, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

@irockthered , I guess they have the holiday off

Posted by: Bagher | October 12, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

While I have no concerns about the Caps, as the long season has just begun and in the end the Caps team will once again be among the elite IMO, one thing I would like to see change this year is for the Caps, Caps management and the media to stop blaming poor outings or too many lazy and careless penalties on the Caps being "still young and they will mature." It reminds me of the year-after-year pronouncement that Jason Campbell would be better if he didn't have to learn a new offensive system every year (and I have nothing against Jason Campbell). In other words, "their still young . . ." is a lame and tired excuse. The Pens' version of the Caps Young Guns are actually younger on average than the Caps' Young Guns and you never hear that excuse from them, in part because they rarely find themselves taking too many lazy penalties or not getting motivated for key playoff games. The same applies to the Blackhawks whose young guns on average are also younger than the Caps young guns, and they don't fall back on that lame excuse as far as I can observe. There will be games where the Caps will take too many lazy penalties (hopefully at some point less than lately), and games where they will mail it in (hopefully less this playoff than last), but please stop with the excuse of "their still young and they will mature."

Posted by: Monty2 | October 12, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

@Monty2

Dude...dont worry...the team is still young and learning...they will be fine.

Posted by: SA-Town | October 12, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I don't care about a three game losing streak in October. Those things are going to happen during the course of an 82 game schedule.

What is disturbing is that we could go back two years on this blog, or on any of the message boards and could see the same exact disagreements about the same exact players for the same exact reasons. I don't think it is immaturity on the players part, I think the players are who they are and us as fans need to accept that.

Semin is going to frustrate you at times and dazzle you at times. Should he be traded, no. Not every player is going to be defensively responsible, just like every player isn't going to be able to score 40 goals. You take the good and the bad.

I get frustrated with the defense, but I don't blame them because they are who they are. This is where I blame GMGM, he has now brought back the same defense for the third straight season and for the third straight season we are having the same exact fights about them and seeing the same exact issues. They can keep trying to sell that they will improve, because they are so young. But where is that improvement over the past 2+ years? During that span, Green has improved both offensively and to a lesser extent defensively. None of the other defensemen on this team have ever contributed anything offensively on a consistent basis and we see the same issues on the backend as we did when they had 200 fewer man games played.

Point the camera at the guy who has stocked this team...supposedly a contending team...with no mix of veteran talent and talent that he has over valued.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | October 12, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

When a team is out matched it will get a lot of bad penalties. Our blue line is out matched by the entire league.

When managment decides that a team with a glaring weakness in the playoff's doesnt need to change a thing this is what happens (please define insanity for me). When a GM fails to add a quality consistant defensmen in 12 years this is what happens. When a GM fails to draft a player past the first round with over 92 draft picks this is what happens. When a GM allows a guy like Bourque to go for nothing to keep guys that obviously cannot play this is what happens. When a GM has job security from an owner that has produced one playoff win (barely) in 12 years this is what happens. When your starting goalie is a guy who was benched twice last season this is what happens (define insanity). When you pay a guy 5.5 million to never be given a chance this is what happens. When the coach plays favorites while talent sits this is what happens. When you have guys like Alzner and Carlson sent down to Hershey this is what happens. When your coach finally has a line with chemistry (Laich Steckle Bradly) and you break it up this is what happens.

Just like the Redskins until there is a new GM nothing will ever change. They will underachieve. Be happy with division titles. Struggle in the playoff's. Choke in game 7's against a team they know we hate.

Posted by: Mike4169 | October 12, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse