Lepisto Sent Down and Tonight's Lineup (Updated)

With Shaone Morrisonn ready to return tonight, the Caps have sent prospect Sami Lepisto back to Hershey. He did not play in his latest recall.

Tonight's Lineup

Cristobal Huet, of course, will start in goal for the Caps and oppose Martin Biron, who will be making his NHL playoff debut. The scratches will be Eric Fehr, Quintin Laing, Jeff Schultz and Brent Johnson.

Forwards
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kozlov
Semin-Fedorov-Cooke
Fleischmann-Laich-Gordon
Brashear-Steckel-Bradley

Defense
Morrisonn-Green
Poti-Jurcina
Erskine-Eminger

Update: Here are some other notes from the morning skate:

Schultz explained his decision not to play by saying "I don't want to play and have to come out after a period. That would hurt the team."

He was very careful not to say what's ailing him.

(You think the Caps were secretive about injuries during the regular season? Just you wait.)

Boudreau said he's comfortable with the lineup he's got, even without Schultz.

"The more Steve [Eminger] plays, the better he's going to be," Boudreau said. "Our goals against the last 25 games attest to how good we've been defensively."

In those final 25 games, the Caps held the opposition to two or fewer goals 15 times.

Asked about media reports in Philly suggesting that the Flyers might try to knock Ovechkin off his game, Boudreau said: "We've seen what happens when he gets into it and plays physical. It doesn't hurt him as much it might hurt other players. Montreal played physical [against him] and he scored four goals. Guys are going to come at him, but I don't want to stop Alex in any way. That's the way he plays."

"I've found as a player, once you become cautious and start doing things outside of your norm, that's when something negative happens," he added. "And we don't want that."

Update:I just bumped into Michael Nylander here at Kettler Capitals Iceplex and asked him if he would consider coming back in the playoffs. He said, "Time will tell. I'm hopeful."

Nylander had shoulder surgery in January and was expected to miss three to six months. But it sounds like he's a little ahead of schedule.

Note:I'll be online to answer your questions at 2 and hope to have another update before game time.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 11, 2008; 11:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morrisonn to Play; Jeff Schultz Out
Next: Take a Cool Fan Photo? Share It With Us

Comments

Posted by: FIRST IS ANNOYING | April 11, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

LET"S GO CAPS!!!!
first!

Posted by: pt | April 11, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Third

Posted by: Third | April 11, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Awesomeness.

Posted by: Go Skins go | April 11, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Here we go kids! Come on 7pm... get here quick!

Posted by: StikSav | April 11, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm freakin out, man, I'm freaking OUT.

Good times, man, good times. It's a lot sweeter than the last time we were in: Butch Cassidy completely mishandling his veteran team, Ted losing it on his 3 remaining loyal fans for not selling out on Easter Sunday, Jagr being Jagr.

What a difference between now and then.

Posted by: Shaggy | April 11, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bmore Caps | April 11, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bmore Caps | April 11, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Tarik, all this coverage today is really helping a very excited and nervous caps fan get through the workday. Thanks!!

Lets Go Caps!!

Posted by: Grape8 | April 11, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I can't stand the waiting any longer. . .I think I may slowly lose my mind between now and 7PM

By the way I love the fact that we have thousands of new fans! The phoe booth will be buzzing, ringing and vibrating!

Posted by: WhooHoo | April 11, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

As annoying as the little "first" thing is, it is all made up for when someone writes "first" but is like two seconds late and is second- this makes me laugh

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I really like that line-up. It's the right way to go. Eminger will be feisty in there... probably a minor penalty... but also some good hits and cross-checks to the back of Flyers in front of the net. Steckel is a good defensive addition, and we're not losing much offense out of Fehr (this season at least... he's got a lot of upside in years to come).

Caps win in OT 4-3 on OT goal by none other than Ovechkin.

Posted by: TripDonkeys | April 11, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I can tell King Tarik is nervous, he is human like us. He did three posts already today, that's a new record in Caps history. :)

Posted by: King Huet | April 11, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Awesome update! thanks, Tarik!

Posted by: King Huet | April 11, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

and let the games begin............
hope flash doesnt get intimidated by the big bad flyers
may have to put a Canadian boy in there
like Laing or Fehr if the going gets too tough

Posted by: wendel | April 11, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Great to see Stecks back in there. I was a little worried about Fehr's readiness for this sort of series.

Posted by: HolyOlie | April 11, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

If we get Nylander, we'll have 3 top notch centers. Just need to beat those phlyers, I know, I know, they are hard team to beat, but Caps have the edge (knock on wood)

Posted by: King Huet | April 11, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

SEVENTEENTH!

Posted by: 17th | April 11, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I like putting Backstrom on Ovechkin's line - this will help to protect him a bit from the Philly goons. Cooke on Semin's line is good also.

Posted by: Capsin08 | April 11, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

****HELP****

K, so I just bought some stuff for a sign. Here is what I am planning on putting on it:

Front:
Welcome to DC - NHL's NEW Hockeytown

Back:
If it's meant to be, it's up to OVIE

What do you all think? Anyone have anything else... need quick response... 30 min, I'm get'n dirty.

Also, Mauree - remember when I said I was going to do the Ultimate Warrior thing... it's on tonight!!!

Posted by: 828 | April 11, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Are they opening VZ Center early, or will it still be at 6 PM? Anybody know? Sorry to be a drag on the discussion

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

@King Huet

Re: Tarik's posts...you must not have been reading on trade deadline day.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

the only thing that is keeping me sane today is watching (in my head of course) OV checking the hell out of someone and yelling "AHHHHHHHHHHHH THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!"

Posted by: AP | April 11, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

The VC will open 30 min earlier than usual... or so I have heard.

Posted by: 828 | April 11, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Although Flash has had a couple of big recently, he seems out of place on that 3rd line. Especially in the playoffs, you need a shut down line to match the other teams top line. The Caps certainly have enough of that type of player to make that happen, and also have a 4th line that forechecks, hits, and is very sound in their own end. I'd rather see:
Laing - Steckle - Gordon
Brash - Laich - Bradley

Posted by: sw dc | April 11, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

@ Capsin08

What?? Are you suggesting the currently line assignments are for the protective benefit of Backs and Semin?

Where have you been?

Posted by: the ocho | April 11, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

@ sw dc
I'd move Laich and Gordon and I'd agree. Laich deserves to play on the 3rd line. He's our #3 goal scorer. Moving him to the 4th, he'd rarely see the ice.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | April 11, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

VC opened at 5:30 for the Panthers game. I can only imagine they'll continue to go that route since the crowds sure as heck aren't going to be getting any smaller.

Posted by: HolyOlie | April 11, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Why does everyone want to change things... the Caps have won 11 out of the last 12 games with the lines we have.

Just let it ride and then tomorrow we can figure out some "needed" changes.

Posted by: 828 | April 11, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

@828 any thoughts abouts bringing your negativity to turn the outcome positive for the caps back?

It worked just fine in the last few weeks of the season

Posted by: OvechKING | April 11, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

sw dc

Doing that leaves you with only 2 scoring lines. I was going to say how much i don't like that idea, but wearing the other team down early in a series can have it's benefits. Problem then is guys like Fehr and Flash will get cold and out of sync when it's time to bring the 3rd scoring line back.

As for Nylander. I'm glad he's feeling better, but where the hell do you put him if he comes back? Bump Feds to 3rd line C? Then you scratch Gordo? As much as I don't understand why Gordo is in over Fehr on 3rd line, I will trust BB know what he's doing (clearly he does). The way I feel about the guys in the infirmary right now is that, if healthy, they would be welcomed back, but we picked up guys at the deadline to deal with their absences, and those guys are producing more than someone who hasn't played in 3-4 months ever will. You don't mess with a streak.

Posted by: FFS Enough | April 11, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

OvechKing - it did work for a while there... but then everything I said pratically came true against Chicago... so, my negativity died that night.

Posted by: 828 | April 11, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, sounds kinda like it might be a leg injury. I hope it heals up real quick.

Posted by: EricS | April 11, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I will be in Philly tonight rooting on the Bears, so I will miss game 1, so everyone be loud and proud for our Caps! I will be wearing my Caps jersey and rocking the hawk! Go Caps Go!!!

Posted by: Matt | April 11, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

@ 828

How about the World's New Hockeytown based on Tarik's article this morning

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 11, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Let's ruin the whole post by just typing in numbers... yeah.

Posted by: 34th | April 11, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Number 37.. yeah.

Posted by: 37 th | April 11, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

CT - I thought about that too... think that's what I am going to go with! Would work with Tarik's article as well.

Welcome to DC - The World's NEW Hockeytown

Posted by: 828 | April 11, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I guess I am the only one to feel really confident tonight. Caps win 4-2, no OT needed.

Also, if they go after OV, we go after Briere or Richards. I feel OV can stand any heat they try, but I am not sure about their stars.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 11, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

FORTY

Posted by: 40th | April 11, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I like it 828, I like it. Where are you sitting so we can be looking out for it?

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 11, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

@828

How about "Ph Philly"

Posted by: hew | April 11, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

CT, I am pretty confident too...

I think we will score more than 4 though. Hot goalies playing the Caps do not mix...

Biron get's pulled midway through the 2nd... Alex get's 2 goals, Fedorov and Laich each get 1, and Green gets 2. haha, this is midway though the 2nd!!! :)

Posted by: 828 | April 11, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Why is Gordon in there over Fehr? Let's see, Fehr has 1 goal and might get a spot appearance on the PP. Gordon has 7 goals, is a beast on faceoffs (especially when coupled with Steckel), and is a key member of the PK. I mean, other than that, no reason.

Posted by: Phil C. | April 11, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

i hope Philly focuses a lot on alex. That way fed and sasha and laich can step up even more. opens up the ice a lot more. i love seeing teams double team ovechkin. it helps us more than hurts. more guys are open.

Posted by: pete | April 11, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Forty Four

Posted by: 44th | April 11, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Section 103... I believe that is to the left of Ted's box if you are looking up at him.
Im going all out...

Posted by: 828 | April 11, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

CT

Seriously, do you follow any team besides the Caps?
Richards can handle himself, hartnell will handle himself smith will handle anyone that touches briere, carter can handle himself too

sure, ov is a force, but c'mon man, if anyone goes after anyone on the ice, either team, they will handle themselves fine.

Posted by: FIRST IS ANNOYING | April 11, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

FIFTY SECOND

Posted by: 52nd | April 11, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

FIFTY SECOND

Posted by: 52nd | April 11, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Fifty Second

Posted by: 52nd | April 11, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I am on my way home to get ready to do the damn thing. I will see everyone tonight and lets be safe and protect the house.

SEE EVERYONE AT THE GAME....LETS GO CAPSSSSSSSS

Posted by: Roger #94 | April 11, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

FURST. FIRST to say FURST.

Posted by: Furst | April 11, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I.... CANT.... WORK!

Posted by: Billy | April 11, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Damnit Roger, you took my spot for 52nd.

No Matter.

FIFTY SECOND

Posted by: 52nd | April 11, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I watch many teams through Center Ice. NO ONE can compare to OV as to what they can take and still perform at the highest levels. In fact, while most others wilt, he excels even further.

You can't compare Hartnell or even Richards to him.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 11, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Twelvety-florth

Posted by: ??? | April 11, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

we should target and pound the heck out of Briere since he's not 100 percent. we need to bully them.

Posted by: CapsFanInHollywood | April 11, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

numbers are unoriginal. The least people could do is use names.

Instead of first, say "Brent Johnson"
The next Dork could sign "Brian Pothier"

Posted by: Unoriginal Number Phagler | April 11, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I wasnt comparing anyone to anyone

I am merely saying that those other guys can handle themselves too. You made a very generalized statement that the other guys cant handle themselves.

Why do you say that? Have you actually seen Richards play? The kid is tough as nails. I also remember him whooping OV in a fight not too long ago in preseason. Im sure that Richards is not afraid of anything that will come to him. As a matter of fact, im sure he will initiate if he need to.

Posted by: FIRST IS ANNOYING | April 11, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

twelvty seven

Posted by: ate-teen | April 11, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Is he in the Top 10 in hits?

Did he score 4 goals after having his nose broken in a game?

OV doesn't fight, he hits and scores.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 11, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Phil C.

All except Backstrom are just about equal on the dot. Backs is about 10% lower than Stecks, Gordo and Feds.

What I don't understand about the line pairings is that BB is saying to us that Gordo is a better RW than Fehr. Sure, Gordo has upside on the PK, but it is not like Steckel doesn't spend any time on the PK. What is different is now I feel like the 3rd line is a bit underpowered offensively. But we'll see.. These last 4 months have taught me to trust BB and that's what I'll do.

Posted by: FFS Enough | April 11, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

This is why I never post because of people like you. You've got your red blinders on and cant see outside Washington.

so OV doesnt fight, if I really wanted to be completely moronic I could say that because he doesnt fight he is weak and cant stand up for himself
That would be following your method of thinking.

Posted by: FIRST IS ANNOYING | April 11, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Based on what you've seen over the past week, does the team seem to practice with the same "loose" mentality they had during their run?

I'm a bit concerned that with the youth facing their first NHL Playoff game, that they may be getting a little tight. As BB says, we don't want to change what's been working.

What is your opinion on the locker room atmosphere? Pensive, Playful, Stoic, All-work???

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | April 11, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey, the other day I was holding a rock and then hit the lottery

Hey CT, want to buy a lucky rock?

Ah, I kill me

Posted by: Tommmy | April 11, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

@FFS Enough

The thing I like about B.Gordon is that he plays good D, and is smart enough to not take any penalties.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 11, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

nevermind, i'm just a babbling 1/2 whitted goat lover. Please ignore all my posts, as I have a case of verbal diarrheas.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to orally pleasure Mike Richards some more. I love it when he hits me (if you know what I mean). He can certainly handle himself too *wink wink*

Posted by: FIRST IS ANNOYING | April 11, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

@fricknoutstanding

How about this
tenacious, unfaltering, unflinching, unhesitating, unwavering

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

And the true class of moronic washington fans shows through

Im just trying to say that because someone isnt OV doesnt mean they wont be able to take care of themselves on the ice.

Posted by: FIRST IS ANNOYING | April 11, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah. Sixty NINE baby

Posted by: 69th | April 11, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Then don't post here you jerk. After all, this is a CAPS BLOG. Go back to Philly.

Tommmy, boy that was phunny.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 11, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Not saying I don't like Boyd. He has his upsides, but to put him as a RW on the 3rd scoring line doesn't make much sense to me EXCEPT that incase Stecks reinjures his hand, Boyd can step right in.

Once again, though. In BB I trust.

Posted by: FFS Enough | April 11, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Work allowing, I am going to get down there early for the EITM gig at RFD's to watch people get mohawks soak up the atmosphere in the new hockey town USA

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 11, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Right, again your class shows through.

Typical of what I have seen in my 35 years of being a Washington sports fan.

When confronted and challenged you resort to insults. Very intelligent.

I love the teams, hate some of the fans.

Posted by: FIRST IS ANNOYING | April 11, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

And I am trying to say that if they want to bring it on, there is no one I would rather have on my team to take the punishment without it affecting them.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 11, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Someone said in an earlier posting today, that he expected Eminger to sit for between 6 and 8 minutes in the penalty box. I'm not sure why this person would think that. In 20 games this season, he's got a TOTAL of 8 minutes in penalties. The one that gets penalties is Erskine with over 90 minutes in PIMs.

If you're going to Dis someone, do it with facts, please.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 11, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

But you are making statements that are just generally untrue and uninformed.

Nobody is going to argue that AO will handle himself on the ice if things get physical. As a matter of fact, if you go to Philly and ask any Flyers fan who is one of the toughest guys in the league, AO will be on the top of their list. They arent going to deny his talent and strength

For someone to say that the other teams stars cant handle the physical play thats idiotic. Especially if you only really know that team on paper.

Posted by: FIRST IS ANNOYING | April 11, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Forgot to post this this AM... Flyers fan called Elliot this morning and complained that he couldn't get tickets.

Elliot basically said he loves to hear that and hopes it is an arena PACKED with the red-white and blue!

LOVE the mohawk idea, and am going to turn my mullet wig into a red-feauxhawk wig in honor of Mike Green's silly hair (pre mohawk).

Posted by: FFS Enough | April 11, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Today starts the beginning of our new beginning, it is today we ask the almighty lord of the toedrag for a victory over the heathens from Philly. Please bestow upon our youngsters the strength to repel the goonlike behavior of the Flyers. Allow OV to stake through Coburn and fire pucks at the hapless Biron. Give Semin the wisdom to use his toedrag once this game to elude Richards for a top shelf wrister. Give Greenie an open lane to fire his GW slapshot, and for our chosen one, Huet, give him the glove of Hey-Zues to steal us game 1.

Amen

Posted by: JSchon | April 11, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

80th!!!!!!

Posted by: goofy blog guy | April 11, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Firstisannoying-

I agree-this FIRST thing is worn. And I fully expect Richards, Hartnell, and the boys to come out hard. And Ovie has not played in the playoffs so we'll just see...

My prediction-whoever stays out the box more wins...

Posted by: dave | April 11, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Wouldnt it be great if we all had Coach Bruce's mask cut out on popsickle sticks?

18,000 Bruce's? The players would go nuts!!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

FFSEnough: And Fehr's one goal makes you feel better about the offensive cpabilities of that line? :)

In all honesty, I really like Steckel, but I'm note even sure I can see changing the lines at this point since they are playing so well. All the people asking to get Clark and Laing and maybe even Nylander in the lineup right now just befuddle me. (Yes, I used befuddle).

Posted by: Phil C. | April 11, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I think we need to bring back Dale Hunter for this series as a lucky charm...

Posted by: Rich C | April 11, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

@ Dave

Special teams have always been the biggest part of playoff hockey. Too much focus goes into goaltending when a lot of goals scored are special teams related.

That said, the Caps D scares me a bit in the fact that they seem a bit Green(no pun intended). We know they can handle the physical play but Philly has gotten smaller up front in recent years and has a very good cycle down low. This tends to wear out bigger D men.

Posted by: FIRST IS ANNOYING | April 11, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

@ JSchon

AMEN!!!

I don't know how you come up with all of these but we need you to keep em' coming!

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Super | April 11, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Dear Hockey Gods,

Please help us to execute our game plan, minimize turnovers and penalties, stay focused, listen to BB.

We know we are good, we are big, tall, physical, skillful and we deserved to be in this playoff run. But we also know that anything can happen in playoffs, so help us in your own way, behind the scenes, like you always do.

Send the rebounds our way, keep the pucks flat for us and rolling for flyers.

And help me to heal for the game #2 because I want to be there for the team like the team will be there for me tonight.

Your humble servant,
das Führer of Caps defense,
the beast of half slap shot offense,

Papa 'kill 'em dead' Schultz.

We believe!

Posted by: Papa Panzer Schultz | April 11, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

anybody have a link to Tarik's chat?

Posted by: 8 is enuf | April 11, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Phil C

I'm not really concerned with Fehr's 1 goal. He plays the hard minutes for that line and battles more in one shift than Flash has all season. But it comes down to me having strict requirements for what I want to see out of a scoring line. The Flash/Laich/Fehr line fits the profile, but Gordo for Fehr does not.

Are my requirements the only way to do it, hell no. I just know what I like to see. I will suspend my concern as I trust Bruce's capabilities.

Posted by: FFS Enough | April 11, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

LATS GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!!!!!!11

Posted by: lg | April 11, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

@828

you're going Ultimate Warrior?!?! All right!!!!
I guess they'll show you on tv then :D

I like the sign by the way.

Posted by: mauree | April 11, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FFS Enough | April 11, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

@* is enuf:

Tarik's Chat:

If this doesn't work: Post MAIN PAGE,NEWS, DISCUSSIONS....look for CAPS link

Posted by: Dezlboy | April 11, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

@FFS Enuf: Okay, so you beat me by micro-seconds! :)

Posted by: Dezlboy | April 11, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

BE LOUD CAPS FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: BB | April 11, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Amen JSchon!

I've got to get out of work, I'm more worthless than normal...

Posted by: Steve R | April 11, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

yeah hard to cycle in nyles and clarkie. hard to get into game shape on short notice.

i am more comfortable w/ fehr than flash. but people talk about the playoffs as flash's time to shine. i guess we'll see. flash seemed to pick up his game some...

Posted by: jim* | April 11, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

jim

I have to admit, I notice him "losing the battle" less often... He's also must have switched to Michelins from Firestones cause he's blowing tires less often.

I still find it hilarious though, that the biggest goal of his career came as a result of a whiffed shot.

Posted by: FFS Enough | April 11, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

WE need GRAIG BERUBE, JOHN KORDIC, ALAN MAY AND DALE HUNTER for this series

Posted by: GRAIG BERUBE | April 11, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Our Father who art in Hockey,
Stanley be Thy name.
Thy Championship come,
Thy Goals be scored,
From the slot as they are from the point.
Give us this round our victory deserved.
And lead us not into the penalty box,
But deliver us man-advantages.
For AO will win the Hart,
The Smythe, and the Cup.
Bring on the Flyers.
Amen.

Posted by: With apologies to the devout... | April 11, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, any idea what a player's typical routine is before they arrive and right up to game time?

Posted by: Bmore Caps | April 11, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Front side - DONE!

Looks good, I guess... hard to deal with the spacing... but it's ON!!!

At 3:30, paint my face and get ready... 4:50... off to the game...

Oh wait, did you want player's pre-game ritual?

Posted by: 828 | April 11, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@828

Yes, player's pregame ritual. Not yours.

Posted by: Bmore | April 11, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

They Flyers won't go after Ovie, they will be going after Backstrom.

Posted by: Villainaire | April 11, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Also, did Green get his weak a$$ Mohawk fixed?

Greenie, C- on "Mohawk" you got during Elliot in the Morning.

Posted by: Bmore Caps | April 11, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Amen.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 11, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Greg S,

You going to the game?

Posted by: Steve R | April 11, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Amen....

See yall down there!!!

Posted by: Roger #94 | April 11, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Green's "mohawk" was more of a trendy mohawk or a trehawk, if you will.

Seriosly, Greenie, get a real mohawk. You'll still be able to pick up chicks after the game and take them back to your apartment to show off you skateboard art.

Posted by: Bmore | April 11, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the Flier may key on Backstrom to see how the kids reacts to playoff hockey, but don't be surprised if we target a few of their players too.

I have a feeling that BB is going to have our guys right after Hartnell in the beginning. He's a player (like Avery) that can energize his team, but can also create stupid penalties when he's been thrown off his. I think putting some big bodies on him early can pay huge dividends. I'm excited to see how it plays out.

We should remember, that as much as we think Philly is coming after us, we will be going after them too!!! If they spend 1/3 of the game chasing Ovie, that gives us 20 minutes extra to punish them.

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | April 11, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

players dash,
with skates a-flash,
the home team trails behind.
But they grab the puck,
and go bursting up,
and they're down across the line.
They storm the crease,
like bumblebees,
they travel like a burning flame.
see them slide the puck inside,
it's a one one hockey game!

God Help us if they play this tonight...Good Lord I can't take it one more time!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

@Steve R.

I wish. I'll watch with my 89 yo mother-in-law. She's a rabid hockey fan. Almost as bad as I am. I'd bring her along, but she doesn't get around too easily. No one else in the family's interested in hockey, try as I may.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 11, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

And she needs the instant replays, too.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 11, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

@berube....if you want to bring back the best caps fighters, so not leave out Scott Stevens(his first 2 years) and Gordie Lane...

Posted by: Rich C | April 11, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this version of the Hockey Song is better:

Posted by: Caps Fever | April 11, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Greg S.

You might want to think about getting her to go halvsies on some tickets with you next season. You can probably get her into the physically disabled seats around the arena, which are VERY nice seats to have. You get to sit with her, regardless of where your tickets are.

Posted by: FFS Enough | April 11, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Who's going to be drinking beers at 5pm with me at the bars before the game?

Just look for me. I'll be wearing red.

Posted by: MNMNT | April 11, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I'LL BE IN MY RED 34 IAFRATE JERSEY, THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER

Posted by: bb | April 11, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

loud & proud CAPS FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: LG | April 11, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@ Rich C

Hey man, don't forget me.

Posted by: Neil Sheehy | April 11, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

firstisannoying-

Why is Briere a minus22-Is he the Phily version of Semin?

Posted by: dave | April 11, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Alright I'll look for you, Iafrate. Booyaa.

I'm leaving work at 3:30 to go home to get my laptop since I have to do work at 7:30am and don't know where I'm staying at b/c I'm sure I'll be out somewhere. So that means I'll probably be at one of the bars there around 4:30.

I'll be wearing a red shirt. I won't be hard to find at all.

Posted by: MNMNT | April 11, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

villainaire-
If the Flyers spend too much time trying to go after Backstrom they're asking for trouble. He RARELY gets knocked off the puck.. And he'll find someone to pass the puck to.

Posted by: dave | April 11, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

ALL I WANT IS FAIR OFFICATING

Posted by: LL | April 11, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

GRAIG BERUBE

Don't forget Stephen Peat

Posted by: dave | April 11, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

here's to many moments like this in the upcoming series....

Posted by: dc hockey | April 11, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I always preferred the Stewie Griffin version:

"Dear Lord..."

*shakes fist*

"...just you stay out of this!"

Posted by: Kurt | April 11, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

@Neil...you were at best a light heavylight...

Posted by: Rich C | April 11, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

HEY REF YOU SUCK

Posted by: YELLE | April 11, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

@GRAIG BERUBE

Craig Berube?

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 11, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

@Dave...Peat would have been killed by all of the above

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Killer Kaminski

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 11, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

totally forgot about#23 kk

Posted by: graig b | April 11, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Lots of talk about the Flyers going after Ovie or Backstrom, the one I'm worried about is Semin. The kid seems prone to reacting and taking bad penalties. I just hope Federov reminds him to keep his cool, since the coaches can't speak to him.

Maybe I'm just over analyzing things in my anxious state.
3.5 more hours! LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: RVA | April 11, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

should we anticapate a lot of Philly fans??

Posted by: yelle | April 11, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

stop worrying who they are going to go after....... LETS GO AFTER THEM!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: ll | April 11, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I heard Philly fans can't get tickets-- I LOVE IT!--GO CAPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Posted by: NO Room For Philly Fans | April 11, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Tarik El-Bashir: The playoffs are no time for being sentimental. It's about winning, and winning at all costs.

Two short statements that sum up everything. What a mastery of English language. No wonder why Washington Post chose him as a Caps beat writer.

Long live King Tarik!

Posted by: King Huet | April 11, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I wish I had as many Russian teammates when I played!

Posted by: Dimitri Kristich | April 11, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

LEAVING FOR THE "PHONE BOOTH"....... I GOT MY DRINK AND MY 2 STEP

Posted by: BB | April 11, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Hey-- I just realized my last post hit at 3:33PM!!!!!!!!!!!!----3 is my all time favorite/lucky number--The Stanley Cup is coming to Washington this year!!!!!!

Posted by: NO Room For Philly Fans | April 11, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

To get you pumped up for tonight - I'm outta here. LET'S GO CAPS! LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: Hew | April 11, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys.

I was at Kettler an hour ago to buy more red stuff and Nylander was skating, stickhandling, and shooting pretty hard out there with some youngish-looking guy. Looks like he's really trying to get back.

On my way to the 'booth. LET'S DO IT! GO CAPS!

Posted by: Jordan | April 11, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I am sitting at my cubicle in the Verizon center, banging my feet on the ground, I am so excited and nervous! LETS GO CAPS!!

Posted by: Jeremy | April 11, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

FLYERS SUCK FLYERS SUCK

Posted by: GEORGE MCPHEE | April 11, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

LET'S GO CAPITALS!

Posted by: mjwies 11, Washington, D.C. | April 11, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

The line-up looks pretty good. Though, I'm worried Erskine will have one of his moments, and take an idiotic penalty, at a crucial time.

Posted by: elicea | April 11, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

LETS GO CAPS!!! LETS GO CAPS!! I wish I could start drinking now for this!

Posted by: JEREMY | April 11, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

ERKSKINE= STUPID PENALITIES

EMINGER= STUPID PENALITIES

Posted by: BRUCE CASSIDY | April 11, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, why couldn't Fedorov have played for the Caps when I was here?

Posted by: Mikhail Tatarinov | April 11, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Should'nt we all be leaving for the game??

Posted by: LL | April 11, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP

Posted by: Larry Murphy | April 11, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

BEERS ARE ON ME....... GREEN TURTLE...... 5:00........ RED COOKE JERSEY

Posted by: BALD GUY | April 11, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Be loud - very loud

Posted by: Hew | April 11, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Yes, very very loud

Posted by: AP | April 11, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

BRUCE CASSIDY = STUPID COACH

Again. Eminger has 8 PIMs in 20 games played. Erskine has 96 PIMs in 51.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 11, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

It's a midnight in Moscow now, the game is at 3am...

After midnight, were gonna let it all hang down.
After midnight, were gonna chug-a-lug and shout.
Were gonna stimulate some action;
Were gonna get some satisfaction.
Were gonna find out what it is all about.
After midnight, were gonna let it all hang down.

After midnight, were gonna shake your tambourine.
After midnight, its all gonna be peaches and cream.
Were gonna cause talk and suspicion;
Were gonna give an exhibition.
Were gonna find out what it is all about.
After midnight, were gonna let it all hang down.

Posted by: Russian Caps fan | April 11, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I am very very tempted to go to the arena now. But if I got started on my pre-game drinking now I might not make it to the end.

Posted by: old time hockey | April 11, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

ON THE 8TH DAY GOD CREATED HUET

Posted by: bb | April 11, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

@ Hew - great Slapshot clip

I know it's been posted before..but Hunter in OT one last time to get you pumped for the game.

You got to love playoff hockey!!!

Posted by: Jake K | April 11, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

@old time hockey

Very true, hold it till third period

Posted by: King Huet | April 11, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

GREG S= STUPID CAPS FAN

Posted by: JOHN LECLAIR | April 11, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Heading down 95 in about 3 minutes. Can't friggin wait.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 11, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Россияне - Мы с нами! Или...вы с нами!

Posted by: katzistan | April 11, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

ANY TRAFFIC???????

Posted by: JOE | April 11, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

ON THE 8TH DAY GOD CREATED HUET

Amen

Kindly bow to the King of the crease.

Posted by: King Huet | April 11, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

It's almost time for HAWK-EAT, HAWK-EAT, HAWK-EAT!! :-D

Steve:
91 is a good # ... I hope he comes back, too! :-)

LET'S GO CAPS!!!!!

Posted by: Boo! | April 11, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm about to sign off--until next time

LETS GO CAPS!!!
LETS GO CAPS !!!
LETS GO CAPS !!!
LETS GO CAPS !!!
LETS GO CAPS !!!
LETS GO CAPS !!!
LETS GO CAPS !!!
LETS GO CAPS !!!
LETS GO CAPS !!!
LETS GO CAPS !!!
LETS GO CAPS !!!

Posted by: dave | April 11, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

@Boo!

Yup! I hope he does, too. I think he likes it here. So does Cooke, and Huet seems content as well. This'll screw up the budget, though.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 11, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon - well done!
Amen to all!
Let's kick some philthy flyer bullies!!
GO CAPS!!!!!!!!
I want a goal and two assists from Ovie tonight, and Kozie comes up big also - and lights out Hueeeeeet - Stellar performance!

Posted by: Greenie | April 11, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

AM I the only one who has to work until 6?!?!? Argh!

Posted by: Baildog | April 11, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

You and me, buddy. Except I'm bailing early.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 11, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

looks like I'm stuck in the same rut

Posted by: AP | April 11, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Oh by the way, if you're out there, to the guy with the red mullet and his buddy with the Caps scarf from Big Buns today, LETS GO CAPS!!!!

Posted by: AP | April 11, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

*sigh*

Couldn't find reasonably priced tix on the black market, so it's off to the bar for me!

LET'S GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Posted by: HolyOlie | April 11, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Ahh!! This day didn't go fast enough! If I have another random kid's parents ask me which way to the dining hall, I'm going to kill someone!!! Sorry! Better now!!
On that note, Let's go Caps!!!

1 hour, 30 minutes!!!

Rock the Red, Rock the Hawk, Let's go Caps!!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 11, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

stuck here at the bank til 6, im dying!

GO CAPS GO!

Can't get out of here soon enough.

Posted by: capscorndog | April 11, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS I'm FREEEEEEEEEEEE see you at the game CAPS FANS!!!!!!

Posted by: AP | April 11, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

To hell with it. I'm bailing.

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Greg S. | April 11, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

@mauree
do you have a tvu feed that could work for me...i cant miss this game!

thanks bud

Posted by: czechsmix | April 11, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

@czechsmix

You're in luck czechsmix, I got something better than TVU - reflector is very good quality stream (and only need mediaplayer)

mms://a1729.l2168647534.c21686.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1729/21686/v0001/reflector:54953

Posted by: mauree | April 11, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

LETS GO CAPS!!!

this is so old school patrick division...i can still hear the echos from '88!!!

Posted by: deadskin | April 11, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

mauree, I won't need reflector unless a thunderstorm knocks out my satelliete reception (as it did about 30 minutes ago) but I tried it out of curiosity.

What a great, full-screen, video picture.

How do you know of all these alternate methods of watching hockey?

Perhaps you should post the reflector link, if available, for every Caps game without being asked. Someone, somewhere will need it.

Thanks, mauree.

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Joe B | April 11, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

its been pretty quiet for a sold out arena.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse