Lepisto to Make Debut vs. Lightning

I'm having problems getting a decent wireless signal here at the St. Pete Times Forum, so I've got to be quick. Here's what I know:

*Defenseman Sami Lepisto, the Caps' third round pick in 2004, will make his NHL debut tonight in Tampa, Coach Bruce Boudreau said. The coaches have not decided the pairings yet.

Recalled yesterday, the 23-year-old Finn met the team in Sunrise, Fla. He took the warmup before last night's game at BankAtlantic Center, but he did not play. As you might expect, Lepisto is a little excited.

"It's a little boy's dream and it's about to come true," said Lepisto, a puck-moving defenseman with a knack for racking up assists. "I'm excited, but I'm not too nervous. I'm kind of relaxed about the whole thing."

*Defenseman Tom Poti is out again. It will be his second game on the sidelines due to the deep thigh bruise he suffered in Atlanta.

*Olie Kolzig will start in net.

*Donald Brashear will be back in the lineup after being a healthy scratch against the Panthers.

*Brooks Laich, who took an Olli Jokinen shot off the foot last night, hopes to play. Boudreau said Laich will be a game-time decision.

Update:Boudreau said that Eric Fehr and Milan Jurcina will be the healthy scratches. The lines will remain the same, with one exception: Brashear will play will play with Brooks Laich and Matt Bradley.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 16, 2008; 12:37 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Recall Lepisto
Next: Monday Morning Update

Comments

Lets go boys! We need a win tonight! These are one of those "see what your team is made off games". They have had two losses where they should have won, now they are back in the standings, we need a big win tonight. After tonight we only have 1 game in 6 days, I dont want to have to sit on this loss all week and im sure they dont either!

Cant wait to see Lepisto...

Posted by: mike s | February 16, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Let's see what Lepisto's got. I hope Laing stays in, too.

Posted by: Jordan | February 16, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

THE SE has our #. I hope BB's got something in his pocket to rile this team up.

THEY NEED IT

Posted by: Go skins Go | February 16, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

please tell me Erskine is the scratch

Posted by: dmg | February 16, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

@ Jordan:

I've seen Lepisto play numerous times and I'm afraid it's unlikely that he'll impress you this evening. He's a good skater and is among the puck-movinging variety, but is still

Posted by: Old Bob's Little Boy | February 16, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I hate to lose faith, but after the last couple of games, I don't think the Caps are hungry enough to make the playoffs. I hope they prove me wrong.

Posted by: Jill | February 16, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

They work hard and play hard, but make some mistakes and end up losing - sound familiar? The injuries are truly starting to effect the team - what we are seeing now is the team we have watched the last 2 years. Nylander, Pothier, Clark, Poti - that is really tough to overcome. I don't like to make excuses but we are fielding a weaker team. We just have to dig deep and do the best we can - Go Caps!

Posted by: Roose | February 16, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Good for Lepisto. 2 assist tonite for him.

Posted by: Tyler | February 16, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

LEEETTT'SSSS GOOOOOOOOO CAAAAAAAAPS!!!!

Posted by: Super | February 16, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

So excited that Sami finally got the call-up not 2many people know that he was in the 2004 World Junior Tourney and this is what he won...
MVP Goalie- Al Montoya (NYR)/(USA)
MVP Forward- Zach Parise (NJD)/(USA)
MVP Defenceman- SAMI LEPISTO! (WSH)/(FIN)

Thats quite an accomplishment for a FINLAND D-Man out of all the tourney to win! Its usually always some Canadian player winning the award!

GO SAMI GO! hopefully with this call-up he plays great while Poti is out and George will feel comfortable in having Sami as his Steve Eminger role and Prospect to Suspect Stevey Eminger will get traded!!!

GO CAPS GO!!!

Posted by: ZackAttack | February 16, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Hope Lepisto is in for Erskine!

Posted by: elicea | February 16, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Have you all realized that other than 3 or 4 players, the team we have out on the ice is pretty much the same team as last year?

Posted by: elicea | February 16, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

So who gets scratched with Brash back in. I'd assume Fehr but i thought he played pretty well last night. Personally i'd like to see Bradley sidelined for this game, but he's pretty rugged and gets decent PK time. For me i honestly don't care whose scratched as long as Laing, Ovechkin, Backstrom, and surprisingly Flash are in. After that i think everyone else would benifit from some time in the press box.

By the way did everyone see that wicked wrister that Flash made last night?!? I gotta say if he can do that once every 10 games I'll say it's a good signing.

Posted by: DC FURY | February 16, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget, ALL the losses are Glen Hanlon's fault. :\

Posted by: Michal Handsauce | February 16, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

It must suck for Eminger to know that he will likely be scratched for an AHL player; even with the injuries to the blueline...if he has demanded a trade he needs to reiterate it to McPhee. Hope Eminger plays and Erskine (or even better) Schultz watches from the press box tonight.
LETS GO CAPS!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Glad I'm Not Eminger | February 16, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
This road trip was and is a big opportunity for the Caps. In reading some of the comments and seeing some of the line up adjustments / moves does make me wonder though. I know it has been asked in the past, and maybe I missed the answer.
Who chooses the game line ups for the Caps, the coach or GM? I would imagine BB would set the lines, but does he also have the control of who plays in the game?

Posted by: rj | February 16, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

@DC FURY

Once every ten games is..... 8.2 games per year. Not enough!

Posted by: joeshred | February 16, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Oops, ten GOALS per year, not ten games....

Posted by: joeshred | February 16, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Caps247.com

My very own website that i have put 2gether, im only 18years old...

I have a blog just like Tarik has and im looking for comments back to my post! i will respond to every comment!

check it out and GO CAPS!!!

Caps247.com

Posted by: ZackAttack | February 16, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

So, OV plays w/ a broken nose, and Poti is out w/ a thigh Bruise (aka Charlie horse). Can you say POWDER PUFF! Mr. $4.5 supposed PP QB, basically now a PK contributor, the team is in the push for a playoff run. Suck it up and PLAY. He has the same China Doll work ethic as in Edmonton and NY. Now w/ a bigger pay day. Good luck and play well Sami, the team needs you!

Posted by: someone else who knows | February 16, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

hahahahahaha are you kidding me bud, you don't need your nose to play hockey. Have you ever tired to skate with a bruised leg? You need your leg to skate and play hockey you dont need your nose.

Posted by: Thomas | February 16, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Hey Greenie. The barf bags are underneath the bench you chokin' dog.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | February 16, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

youre the definition of choke tikkanen

Posted by: Anonymous | February 16, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Poti = overpaid

Posted by: Anonymous | February 16, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I've been looking forward to seeing Lepisto play even more than I've been looking forward to the second X-file's movie.

Yes, I am a geek.

Posted by: Stephen | February 16, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

@ joeshred

I'm not saying score i'm saying use an amazing wrist shot like that. I expect him to be no less than a 15-20 goal scorer starting next season.

Posted by: DC FURY | February 16, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

@your wireless signal: Is it the venue or the machine, Tarik? What do you do your work on, anyway? PC or Mac? I'm in the market for a laptop but I'm conflicted between a MacBook and a MacBook Pro.

Posted by: PureAgression | February 16, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Caps are 3-7 without Poti...

Posted by: He Aint THAT Bad | February 16, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Whoever scores first wins

Posted by: Anonymous | February 16, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Uhh what did Juice do to deserve a benching? Last time I checked it was Erskine giving up the puck left right and center.

Posted by: Jordan | February 16, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Erskine should be in the press box box tonight.

I hope Flash has another game like he did last night.

Good luck to Sami!

GO CAPS! Pull out a win tonight!

Posted by: BearsWoooo | February 16, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering the same think Jordan. And what does he see in Pettinger. He is absolutely worthless.

Posted by: frank | February 16, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Pettinger has been been playing pretty well. He's had plenty of chances. They're just not going in for him..

Posted by: elicea | February 16, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

McCreary just blew a puck dead in the Toronto-Bruins game when it was floating around on the ice in front of the Toronto net.

I think the league may need to take a look at him, what with the whole Mo take-down in open ice/breakaway thing.

When is the Caps game gonna start?!!!

Posted by: Icebat | February 16, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Um...am I missing something? Why no Juice?

Pigman Erskine's been helping the opponent more than his team lately.

Posted by: keef | February 16, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Hello All!
Been on TDY so could not post, sorry.

No need to say but been dis-a-pointed at the news of late. WTF???

Can anyone give a non-score sheet synposis quickly of the last two please if possible?

Tak

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 16, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Tak (thanks in Danish)

Posted by: Anonymous | February 16, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

@BernieWolfFan

Atlanta game the caps came out and had 18 quality shots on goal in the first but came up empty. Ovie scored to tie it up with about 2 and half to go. Lost in a shoot out.

Florida, Flash scored to make it 2 to 1 and then Green threw up all over the place and the D blew it. Should have won.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | February 16, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Much thanks Esa.

Tarik is good but sometimes a view from the suburbs can be very helpful.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 16, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Is the D not talkin'?????
Geez...

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 16, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Last post, as in, Olie! Wake the F up!
Heard of a guy named Brodeur? Use your stick!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 16, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Tampa strategy: Dump the puck in and Olie will score on himself eventually.

Posted by: Jordan | February 16, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Heyyy! Flash again! Sweet.

Posted by: Jordan | February 16, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh man, that was nice.

Maybe Flash just needed the pressure of being on the first. :)

Posted by: keef | February 16, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Tampa strategy: Dump the puck in and Olie will score on himself eventually.

Hahahah, don't joke - it may happen. :)

Posted by: keef | February 16, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Fleischmann is like butter... literally... isnt Fleischman a type of unsalted butter?

Posted by: JSchon | February 16, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

WTF Locker.. Now Olie will surely let one in!

Posted by: Jordan | February 16, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Islanders just scored again, this time on a 5-on-3 ... they lead ATL now, 3-0.

The call by the NYI announcer:

"Burgeron closes in ... let's it go ... he scores ... chili for everyone!"

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | February 16, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Note to Alex Semin: This is how you have to play *every* night.

Fun 2nd period so far.

Posted by: zamboni | February 16, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Very impressed with Olie of late. He needs to be the number one.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 16, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

This is the point where I scream every expletive in the book.

Posted by: keef | February 16, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

And at 16:22 of the third period, the Capitals season died.

Posted by: zamboni | February 16, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

And at 17:00 it was brought back to life!

Posted by: zamboni | February 16, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Ha!!!!!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 16, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

And now I shout them in joy. :)

Posted by: keef | February 16, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

And at 17:00, back from the dead!

SEMIN!!!

Posted by: kenjabi | February 16, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

uh god...

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 16, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Caps score first, Caps win.

Posted by: austinsteve | February 16, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

HUUUUUUUUGE!!!!!!

Posted by: 8 is enuf | February 16, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Caps should've won last night, but should've lost tonight -- happy to get 3 pts on this road trip.

Posted by: Hook | February 16, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Very impressed with Flash and Semin tonight. Good to Steck get one. I love to see the grinders get one. I was really hoping for OV to get a couple for 50.

Posted by: BearsWoooo | February 16, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody else think OV is looking tired?
I guess 25 minutes of draggin the NHL's best checkers around every friggin nite is gonna have an effect on anyone. Even the Russina machine.

Posted by: pmoravek | February 16, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

two words:

Posted by: MTB | February 16, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

pmoravek

I thought OV looked a bit off for the last few games.

Posted by: BearsWoooo | February 16, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Did Brads have the A tonight? Way cool!

I love Brash but maybe we need to send messages to our younger crew that it is their team for the future.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 16, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

@ MTB- I agree vehemently

Every point is crucial.
Olie was looking good too!

Posted by: ratgurl | February 16, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

The old Olie is back...too bad he still can't handle the puck.
LOL!

Posted by: pmoravek | February 16, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Where is Boo? He should be saying " why isn't everyone complaining about Olie? I always defend him and if you don't complain about him letting in soft goals, I have nothing to talk about".

Posted by: Puckguru | February 16, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Lets get some rest, and get some guys back for Wed.

I will take 3 points on this trip..gladly.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 16, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

@Puck,
Boo! is a she. lol

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 16, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh great, now people are going to say I am picking on a girl.

Posted by: Puckguru | February 16, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Boo! can hold her own. Really. Still lol...

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 16, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Olie stood on his head tonight! Holmqvist played well also.

Posted by: someone else who knows | February 16, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Russian Machine never break!

(Translation: What the hell else do you expect?!?! Stand by. Ovie will more than take the stage over the next seven weeks...he will own it!)

Posted by: OleMiss | February 16, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

So we have Boo, Jill, ratgurl, Opita and Slobbering girl or is it Sobbing girl, I don't remember. We have enough women to start a Caps cheer leading squad.

GO CAPITALETTES!!

Posted by: Puckguru | February 16, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Huge win.. but the next step for this team has to be finishing off a team when you're up 2 goals with four minutes left.

These Caps blow 2-goal leads like none other! Fortunately they have enough fire-power to make up for it, usually.

As for Kolzig, well the first goal was very Kolzig-like.. the second was a perfect deflection. Other than that first one he played a great game.

"Kolzig gets credit the whole game," Lightning coach John Tortorella said. "He's the difference."

Can't argue with that.. and I'm a Kolzig-basher!

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | February 16, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Puckguru:

Apparently you don't read all of my posts - I post about more than Olie. In fact, my most recent posts were not about Olie at all. When I do defend him it is because too many people have made a sport out of bashing him, regardless of his performance. This thread is a perfect example of that ...

Regarding the fact that I am "girl", yes, that is the case. However that does not make me a "Capitalette". I played sports in high school and college - I did not "cheer" for them. I also think that there is no place in hockey for cheerleaders (they certainly did not have them where I grew up in the great white north), but that's another discussion for another time. In the meantime, I am just another hockey fan. So please feel free to "pick" on me as much as you want ... as much as you would anyone else ... as much as you would a guy. Don't worry - I'm a big girl; I can take it.

BernieWolfeFan:

Yes, you are correct ... ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | February 16, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Boo,
You're HHHHHOT! Just tell me you're not the lady in the Planters Peanut commercials.

Posted by: someone else who knows | February 16, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

someone else who knows:

I don't know what that means, but it can't be good ... :-P

Posted by: Boo! | February 16, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Olie was huge. Apparently he can still steal games.

I thought Lepisto looked pretty good for it being his first game. He was really steady, which is something I'd like to see more in the Capitals defense.

Huge game by Semin too.

Posted by: Stephen | February 17, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Great game for olie! I was real pleased with the way the defense played for being so young. It would be nice to get poti and pothier back though. Is there a timeline for pothier and clark though, because they have been out for atleast a month right? Is it possible they will be back in the next week or so? We could really use them.

Posted by: Thomas | February 17, 2008 2:41 AM | Report abuse

On that first goal that TB scored Kolzig bailed the D out 3 times before he had it banked off of him. I kind of wish he wasn't the only one on the ice that shift.

Seeing Semin jump into the boards actually made me crack a smile. He knew how well he was playing and I'm not sure I've ever seen him that excited! I hope he keeps playing like he did tonight.

AO should pick it back up shortly. It's amazing that he can not score for two games and everyone panics and wonders what's wrong with him :-D

Posted by: Raber | February 17, 2008 3:56 AM | Report abuse

Random thing I noticed while looking at the standings:

In the West, 34 points separate the best from the worst. In the East, only 17 points separate the best from the worst.

The spread in the West is literally double that of the East...

The worst team points wise is Tampa Bay, and they're only 6 points out of a playoff spot tie with Carolina... The only team that's not really in playoff contention is the Maple Leafs, and they're still only 8 points back.

I know we knew and have heard this all before, but the numbers are still kind of baffling when compared to recent seasons.

Posted by: Raber | February 17, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Good to see the Olie haters can acknowldege that he was the difference tonight. When your goalie gives you a chance to win, you win more big games. How good was Semin? That is the best game I have seen him play this year from start to finish - he was going hard after every puck and was stinging Holmqvist with his shots. Loved to see Bradley to Steckel connect; those guys play hard and take on the big lines every night. Great win, see you all Wednesday night! Go Caps!

Posted by: Roose | February 17, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Does anybody besides me believe that Ollie's improved play might be attributable to Bruce Boudreau.

Ever since Boudreau decided to rest him every 3rd game and Kolzig blew up about it in the paper, he has played better. Not just a little better, but substantially better.

Chalk it up to Bruce Boudreau for motivating Ollie and recognizing the need for additional rest, but give Kolzig credit for his performance.

Posted by: Muddapucker | February 17, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

While we'll all agree Olie was pretty studly last night, I think Olie would be justified breaking a few sticks across his defense. How many odd-man rushes, guys left open in the slot, failed clears, etc., did they have last night. If I'm BB, I have a manadatory defensive practice shortly. Yeah, they won, but Tampa has a stink to them this year. A better team might have smoked them.

Posted by: old time hockey | February 17, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Watching NHL on the Fly and they said:

"The two greatest stories in the National Hockey League this season - the Phoenix Coyotes and the Washington Capitals. It's amazing."

Nice ... :-) Wouldn't it be fun if we played them for the Cup?!? ;-) It would bring new meaning to Fantasy League!! :-D

BTW, Brodeur had a monster game last night! Not only did he have 37 saves, but a lot of them were CRAZY!! The highlights were incredible.

Posted by: Boo! | February 17, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Interesting NHL on the Fly commentary about the Caps game last night. Basically compared it to the division overall - one minute you're up, the next minute you're down, like a roller coaster. So true!

BTW, I received my STH renewal letter yesterday. Has anyone else received their letters? If so, is it just me, or is the renewal date much earlier than before?!? Guess they are "capitalizing" on the excitement of the back nine this year ...

Posted by: Boo! | February 17, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

We can only hope that Semin plays this good on out. He was the best player on the ice last night.

Posted by: JSchon | February 17, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

By guess is that you will see Tampa make a big trade in the next 10 days with someone Big GOING. Not sure who yet, but a salary dump is on the way....

Posted by: Rich C | February 17, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

@Boo!

I got my letter and the date is earlier. On the bright side, the Caps look like they're using a "pay as you go" system for playoff tickets; my sister is a Dallas Stars STH and historically they have to pay up front, in full, for the entire playoffs through the Cup, with only a partial application of unused games toward the next season. Maybe they can get away with that having been in the playoffs for umpteen years in a row....

Posted by: Fred | February 17, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Fred:
WOW - that sounds painful! :-X You are right - it could be worse. I will just be curious to see how much tickets will be (because we are going to the p******s, right?!? ;-)). Also, I hope they don't increase STH prices next season ... I can barely afford the plan that I have.

Posted by: Boo! | February 17, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Boo!

Let's hope so! We've got a tough schedule, so let's hope Boston and Philly keep losing. I'd feel better if I thought we could squeak in at 8 regardless of whether we win the division.

Posted by: Fred | February 17, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Fred:
I agree - and I think we can make 8, but unfortunately, so could several others. :-/ Unless someone starts a serious slide, it promises to be an exciting few weeks!

Posted by: Boo! | February 17, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I think Tampa will trade Brad Richards. Under performing for the huge salary he makes. He's a player that needs a change of scenery.

Great win for the Caps last night. Semin has been on a tear in the past few games and scoring coming from the other lines will eventually free up Ovechkin's line. I can't wait until Weds. to see the team in action again. That's 3 days too long.

Posted by: @ Rich C | February 17, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Any word on practice tomorrow Tarik? Schedule says "TBD" and I'dlove to make it, take advantage of having the day off! Thanks!

Posted by: Yay for President's Day! | February 17, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

"Alex's love story" straight from sovsport.ru is translated on my blog... for those, who are interested.

Posted by: alexovetjkin | February 17, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Well..It will be nice for the guys to only have one game between now and Saturday. Poti could use the time for sure.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 17, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

One thing that hasn't been brought up is the fact that our PK has been really good recently. We haven't given up a power play goal in our last 5 games.

Posted by: Stephen | February 17, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Stephen, don't jinx anything, huh?

Anyway, I was terrified by Kolzig's amazingly bad stickhandling the other night. But apart from that he played just fine. Thank god for that.

And, hey - Lepisto didn't do half bad!

Hooray for the win, my TV received much less verbal abuse than it has recently.

Posted by: Kip | February 18, 2008 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Kip, I don't know what I was thinking.

Yeah, I was impressed with Lepisto, he played a solid, simple game. He didn't try to do too much, which is Emingers problem a lot of the time.

Posted by: Stephen | February 18, 2008 2:06 AM | Report abuse

One thing that has really bothered me is that Fehr's role has been cut back to being a healthy scratch last game. I thought that just when he was really starting to look good on the top line, he got dropped to playing with Brash and Laich. I was impressed with him on the top line.

Posted by: Stephen | February 18, 2008 2:12 AM | Report abuse

Stephen - I'm starting to not mind Flash on line one. And if Flash is on line one, why can't Fehr be on line two?
Power play units are a different story, I won't mess with those, but yeah, line one Ovechkin - Backstrom - Fleischmann, line two Semin - Kozlov - Fehr? If/when Clark comes back, if those lines could gel, think about a third line of Laich - Steckel - Bradley/Clark and a fourth of Brashear/Pettinger - Gordon/Laich - Clark/Laich
The fact is - lots of ifs. But those top two lines don't look bad - especially if Flash earns his paycheck. Only problem is next year...if Nyls comes back 100% healthy, do we field 3 scoring lines or 2 scoring lines, an energy, and a hybrid?

Not a bad problem, in my opinion.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | February 18, 2008 2:32 AM | Report abuse

@Mage

Yeah, whichever way, Fehr needs to be on a scoring line. I like Pettinger's work ethic, and I still think he's a valuble player, who always works hard, will go to the net, and I actually really like seeing Petty on the 2nd PP unit. But this year, he's just not putting the pucks in the net, however hard he tries.

I'd like to see Fehr with Semin. Semin's got the quickest wrist shot in the league, and with the deceptive release, it leaves a lot of rebounds. I think Fehr could pot some of those rebounds.

Posted by: Stephen | February 18, 2008 3:14 AM | Report abuse

It is good though that I'm not the only person who's commenting on the Caps at 3 in the morning.

Posted by: Stephen | February 18, 2008 3:15 AM | Report abuse

I just looked at the schedule and if I counted right, we'll be behind Carolina in games played until March 18th, including a stretch next week where Carolina will have played 3 more than us.

Kind of stinks because I'm sure "hockey analysts" at ESPN and the like will start to report the Canes as "running away with the SE" if they win a few next week.

If there's any good news to be received from that, Carolina plays 3 games in 4 days and then us on Saturday after a 1 day break. They'll hopefully be tired.

Posted by: Raber | February 18, 2008 7:17 AM | Report abuse

all that matters is the standings at the end of 82 games. Rest is good for us now.

Posted by: @raber | February 18, 2008 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Carolina at NJ today and hosting Boston 2/19. Us being 2 points back with 3 in hand going into 2/20 wouldn't be bad...

Posted by: Steve R | February 18, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse