Lightning's Boyle Hurt in Freak Accident

Tampa Bay defenseman Dan Boyle will have surgery today to repair a tendon in his left wrist, which was sliced when he was hanging up his skates following the Lightning's 2-1 loss to the Caps last night. It's been described as a freak accident, but I saw virtually the same thing happen last season.

From TSN.ca:

Boyle was injured in the Lightning locker room when distracted while hanging up his skates. A skate slipped off of the hook and hit him in his left wrist, cutting a tendon.
He'll have surgery on Sunday and will be out of action for several weeks.

The same thing happened in the Capitals' dressing room about a year ago. I was interviewing Dainius Zubrus, who was sitting in his locker at Verizon Center following a morning skate. His equipment and skates were hanging up to dry. Someone knocked one of his skates off its hook and it landed on his arm, opening up a cut that started bleeding really badly. (I wasn't the someone.)

Still, I was thinking, "Great, I'm going to get blamed, then banned from the dressing room and Zubie is never going to talk to me again."

Well, none of that happened. Zubrus needed five or six stitches and had to wear a pretty big bandage for the game that night. But it could have been much worse.

Note:If you listened to the radio broadcast of last night's game, you heard that defenseman Mike Green went down hard after crashing into the boards in the second period. I'm told he's fine.

Also, the Caps are off today. They'll return to the ice tomorrow at 10:30.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 23, 2007; 8:31 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's Lineup In Tampa
Next: Cassivi and Wilson Assigned to Hershey

Comments

That just proves how sharp those blades are. It's a wonder, with the size of the guys and the speed at which they fly across the ice, that when they get upended there are no more cuts on the ice than there actually are. It's too bad that Boyle had to get surgery like that. What do you think -- will the NHL decree that everyone wear body armor with sleeves in the locker room? :)

Anyway, thanks for the great Caps coverage. I appreciate your insight as well as the little tidbits that wouldn't normally make it to the newspaper.

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | September 23, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it make sense to find a safer way to store skates? after all, why hang knives on hooks?

Posted by: 007 | September 23, 2007 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Damn shame. I'm sure that, if it were up to him, they'd still physically have to keep him off the ice on opening night.

Reebok needs to come up with an Edge system for the skates too; I'm seeing something like a $400 skate bag that protects players and wicks away moisture, that they can then brand and sell to us suckers as 'performance equipment'.

Posted by: Kurt | September 23, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

How many fans show up for weekday practices?

Posted by: BeanTownOlieFan | September 23, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

It depends. I've seen fewer than a dozen show. And I've seen several dozen show.

Posted by: Tarik | September 23, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

>>>"after all, why hang knives on hooks?"

Never been in a commerical kitchen, have you? :-)

Posted by: exwhaler | September 23, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

am i the only one here who not only doesnt care but is actually rather pleased with the news? oh yea, and i know thats evil and im a horrible person, so save it. like i said before, i dont care, especially if hes out on the 24th against the caps. there, i said it.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Damn, that bites! Same kind of freakish thing happened to a player for the ECHL Tallahassee Tiger Sharks back in '98. A skate sliced his achileas tendon. Finished his career. Real freak accident like this one, too. I never like seeing players seriously hurt (seeing stars, getting cut and bruises are all part of the game).

Posted by: Greg S. | September 23, 2007 5:47 PM | Report abuse

assuming its not serious, career threatening stuff

Posted by: Anonymous | September 23, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse