Lines From Today's Scrimmage

I know certain people like to say that lines in the preseason don't mean a thing. I don't buy that.

That's why I'm giving you the forward combos from today's scrimmage:

Semin-Nylander-Backstrom
Bourque-Sutherby-Bradley
Motzko-Laich-Klepis

Ovechkin-Kozlov-Fleischmann
Brashear-Steckel-Clymer
Pettinger-Gordon-Clark

I would give you the D-pairings, too, but they are changing from shift to shift. All the defensemen, though, are out there.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 24, 2007; 11:42 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sad News To Report
Next: Please Make It Stop

Comments

Goodbye Brooks Laich. Been nice knowing you. I could get into the following lineup...

Ovechkin-Kozlov-Fleischmann
Semin-Nylander-Backstrom
Pettinger-Gordon-Clark
Brashear-Steckel-Clymer

extras: Sutherby-Bradley

Posted by: Jay | September 24, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Any info on Eminger? Does he seem injured, or is he getting less ice time?

Posted by: Mark Tucker | September 24, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

This is almost like the game "who would you rather?"

Would you rather have Bradley on the team or Suts?

You can drop Motko and Klepis.

Posted by: TJ | September 24, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

That'd be a real coupé if Bourque made this team!

Posted by: Mark Tucker | September 24, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with Jay, to an extent. I don't believe Suts will be left out of the lineup. I think the rotating forwards will be Brash, Clymer and Bradley. I do believe that Laich will spend a lot of time in Chocolate land this year or could even be dealt along with Clymer.

Posted by: Mitch | September 24, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't say that anyone is on their way out of Washington just yet. But I think we've definitely got a better idea of what the coaching staff is considering.

Posted by: Tarik | September 24, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

A coupé is a kind of car. A coup is a triumph.

Posted by: Preston Calvert | September 24, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, Any info on Eminger?

Posted by: TJ | September 24, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

A Triumph is a type of coupé

Posted by: Rock | September 24, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Any news on Ovechkin's father's words that they may be looking for a new club?

Posted by: Blank | September 24, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

blank- Get a clue.

Posted by: TJ | September 24, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

what words, blank? and i agree with jay about everything except clymer, sutherby will be in the lineup, and i dont see how you can leave out steckel after his performance saturday

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Motzko-Laich-Klepis = the "Dead Men Walking" Line

Would Laich clear waivers if he gets demoted? I'd guess yes, but you never know.

Posted by: billy | September 24, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

This is translated by Google:

Father Alexander Ovechkin, Mikhail Ovechkin, which is based in Washington, commented on the situation with the contract his son (winning the case are his parents).

"If you think that Sasha deserves even more than Crosby (8.7 million dollars a year)," said a senior Ovechkin- in an interview published "Sport Express". - For whom would Crosby, Hit it in such a command, as "Washington"? Yes anyone! .. It is a pity that the team is silent. Care would not like us in Washington love: a city good, quiet, calm, not complain at that. Scary thought that could instead be in a hole somewhere. But if Sasha normal proposal does not receive, then, of course, the options will be moving to another team. He also did not come here to develop hockey, and earn money. "

Remember that the summer Alexander Ovechkin will be restricted free agent and will be able to begin negotiations to move to another club.

Posted by: Blank | September 24, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Being a Laich fan, of course I want him here. What are your thoughts? Think he'll make the team? Some folks here seem to think he's on his way out along with Clymer. My line up would be:

Ovechkin-Kozlov-Fleischmann
Semin-Nylander-Backstrom
Pettinger-Gordon-Clark
Laich-Steckel-Bradley

extras: Sutherby-Brashear

Posted by: Tracy | September 24, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Saw my first practice at Kettler. The facility is amazing. A totally different vibe than the "minor league" facility in Odenton. Very nicely done, and the fire alarm is very well engineered!
I agree that the Nylander/Backstrom/Semin line looked great. I also thought Chris Bourque looked like he belongs, as does Dave Steckel. Should make for a very interesting next week or so.
OV-Kozlov-Flash
Semin-Nylander-Backstrom
Petty-Gordon-Clark
Bourqe/Steckel?-Suts-Bradley/Brashear
Morrison-Poti
Schultz-Pothier
Eminger/Green?-Erskine
---Green/Emmy tossup
I'm sure many of you will think I'm full of it.
Tarik - Where did OV go the second half of practice? Media stuff?

Posted by: Shipdriver | September 24, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

youre not full of it, but you did completely forget about jurcina

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, any idea on the market for any of the players they might consider trading? I'm sure GMGM is working the phones, but it seems weird to think they would be able to move one of their lower-tier players whenever they wanted. If so, who in your opinion is most likely to go?

Posted by: Bret | September 24, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Tracy-Brashear has a guaranteed spot in the lineup. Hanlon loves him.

also,I could see Clymer and/or Eminger trading addresses. Both players would be of interest to other teams.

Posted by: Tarik | September 24, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

"Dead Men Walking" line - that is funny as hell. Can I use that?

GMGM has made a lot of good moves in recent years, but I bet he regrets the multiyear he signed Clymer to most of all. I think what we're seeing is a natural progression of the skilled players ousting the not so skilled. You've got to like guys like Brads, Laich, Suts who have busted ass but are simply redundant in the grand scheme of things.

Dead men walking - I'm still chuckling.

Posted by: shaggy | September 24, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Blank - The soviet press has been known to make up stuff, what about the supposed fight OV had with some guy at a bar....yea sure read whatever you want, but take it with a grain of salt.

Posted by: TJ | September 24, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Eminger had a "lower body" injury. he told me today that he plans to be in the lineup tomorrow.

Posted by: Tarik | September 24, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Everyone calm down about the Daddy OV interview. Yes, that's probably what he said. That's what "agents" do, create pressure on teams to fork over big contracts for their clients. So what? The Caps have the rights to OV until he is 27, which means they can match any other team's offer until then. The deal will probably get done, but not any time soon. I think OV wants to see major signs of improvement if he is to stay. I think he values winning as much as the Crosby-type contract.

Posted by: SabreHater | September 24, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey TJ, there is no "soviet press" anymore.
Also you can't compare a qoute of Mikhail Ovechkin with an anonymous report that doesn't have a single quote and doesn't name time and place of the incident. To me it's not at all unlikely that father Ovechkin said what is reported, after all, why wouldn't he? If the right offer is not made or matched, Ovechkin (and Semin) will move on, everbody knows that.

Posted by: Scai | September 24, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

SabreHater has it right. Ovechkin is going to be here for a minimum of five more years, guaranteed. And stories like this are hardly uncommon during the negotiation process.

BTW, how about the story about Semin's serious knee injury, the one that was going to keep him from starting the season and that he refused to get surgery on even though the Caps demanded that he get it? That one came complete with quotations from named sources.

Posted by: norske | September 24, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

BTW,

All those rumors were reported by this Sport-Express outlet. What the hell are they? Do you print anything legit? Jeez!

Posted by: Blank | September 24, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, what are Bourque's chances of making the team? I have not had the opportunity to visit Kettler yet.

Posted by: Phil | September 24, 2007 10:49 PM | Report abuse

udal iaxh swvfyae burjs ohjyrte tjswkyd zaxlb

Posted by: onezmc ygkroj | November 19, 2007 7:11 PM | Report abuse