Lineups for preseason opener in Columbus

As promised, here are the lines from the morning skate at KCI that you should see in the Capitals preseason opener tonight against the Blue Jackets.

Goaltender Semyon Varlamov will start the contest, but he and Braden Holtby will each play half of the game.

Forwards
Brooks Laich - Tomas Fleischmann - Alexander Semin
Jason Chimera - Mathieu Perreault - Eric Fehr
Andrew Gordon - Marcus Johansson - Matt Hendricks
Kyle Greentree - Cody Eakin - Joel Rechlicz

Defense (in no particular order)
John Carlson, Karl Alzner, Tyler Sloan, Brian Fahey, John Erskine and Sean Collins

Goaltenders
Semyon Varlamov
Braden Holtby

-- Coach Bruce Boudreau said this morning Joe Finley was reassigned to Hershey because he has a sore groin and wouldn't have been able to practice for a week.

-- I'm off to catch a flight to Columbus for tonight's game, but be sure to check back for practice updates from Greg Schimmel, who's keeping an eye on things in Arlington. I'll be tweeting and blogging from Nationwide Arena as well.

By Katie Carrera  | September 22, 2010; 12:03 PM ET
Categories:  Lineups
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Neuvirth: 'I have the best chance to win the Stanley Cup here'
Next: Dustin Stevenson enjoying his extended stay at Caps training camp

Comments

Brooks Laich - Tomas Fleischmann - Alexander Semin

-------------

this line if thats how BB starts the season with will last all of about 5 or 6 games.

the game's not on tv right? wish i could watch these lines...

Andrew Gordon - Marcus Johansson - Matt Hendricks
Kyle Greentree - Cody Eakin - Joel Rechlicz

also curious to see how Brian Fahey. He should be a darkhorse for a spot or a callup. If Lepisto can play in the nhl, so can Fahey.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I still hate tom poti. Neuvy signing was good though.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | September 22, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Whose Career is this?

99 Oilers - Lost in 1st Round
00 Oilers - Lost in 1st Round
01 Oilers - Lost in 1st Round
02 Oilers - No Playoffs (Traded to Rangers)
02 Rangers - No Playoffs (Acq. from EDM)
03 Rangers - No Playoffs
04 Rangers - No Playoffs
05 Lockout
06 Rangers - Lost in 1st Round
07 Islanders - Lost in 1st Round
08 Capitals - Lost in 1st Round
09 Capitals - Lost in 2ND Round
10 Capitals - Lost in 1st Round

Posted by: underpants2 | September 22, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Wow, he must really want Johansson to make the team?!

He'd be better off playing with two random kids that play for Team Maryland Youth Hockey...

Put JOhansson with some talent...try him with semin or chimera...or both!

Forget Fleishman..he's a whole of promise in the beginning and ends up being a waste...like a...oh forget it...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | September 22, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Neuvy is a no brainer great signing at that price. I have already said my peace about the Poti signing so I will leave things right there.

That first line is just scary.....would love to see the other three lines on the ice however.

Posted by: PhilR | September 22, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Oils and Rags...I'm going to assume my good friend Tom Poti. Hes been my whipping boy for quite a while now..seeing that extension yesterday made me a little sad.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | September 22, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I think he goes by the name of TP.

come on undies, you know that no matter who the Caps signed or resigned, there would be some kind of (weak) justification given by certain folks.

so far, we've been teased by the prospects of landing Andrew Ladd, Bieksa, Mitchell, even an outside chance at AV.

All that's occurred are those vital pieces like Poti and Flash.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Back to Flash as a liability...I used that term for a reason. To me he is a liability because the perceived lack of heart, grit and determination. But it doesn't matter, bottom line is I could just do without watching him play for the rest of his career.

Posted by: ThePat | September 22, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

btw, given Poti's stellar contributions to his past teams, could this be the year he breaks the mold, beats the odds, and helps the Caps to a Cup?

this pitcher of koolaid is empty! who drank it all?

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Put JOhansson with some talent...try him with semin or chimera...or both!

-----------------

you don't play a MaJo with 2 other finesse wingers. MaJo can carry the puck pretty effectively. What he needs are two guys who can keep up speedwise and do all the dirty work in the corners to dig out the puck and go to the net. Semin and Chimmychoochoo are not those players.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Poti signed for a 2 year extension didn't he?

Posted by: underpants2 | September 22, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

-----------------

EXACTLY what I said in the previous thread.

It doesn't take a genius to connect the dots from point A which is Flash's lack of grit/determination/strength to point B - the fact he's a liability on the ice.

Lack of grit on Flash's part = liability on the ice. Perioood

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

The Poti signing has driven me off the deep end.

Posted by: underpants2 | September 22, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Wait, Chimera is "finesse"? Am I missing something?

I agree Semin is finesse, but Johansson is like backstrom...he needs someone to feed to score.

Semin-Johansson-Laich/Chimera

is a poor mans version of

Ovie-Backstrom-Knuble

same make up. And while Chimera has shown speed in camp, he is a rugged big guy winger who DOES do the dirty work.

Posted by: SoaringCaps | September 22, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Anyone seen my drunk night bed pan, it kind of looks like a pitcher? I put red dye in it to remind me not to drink it when I wake up with extreme cotton mouth...I left it right over by...

CSTANTON1 give that back. You dont want that. Hmm, why is your tongue and lips red???

No wonder he is so ornery.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 22, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Poti signed for a 2 year extension didn't he?

Posted by: underpants2

so he's here for 3 more years.

Could there have been a stupider move in the NHL? I don't think so. I think keeping Poti around for 3 more yrs qualifies as the dumbest move in recent memory. And gives McPhee another built-in excuse for the next 2 offseasons for not acquiring help on D or anywhere else. He just chewed up a roster spot and salary cap space on an average player. Who is not part of any type of Cup solution. Poti's got no upside at this point in his career.

boy, the next GM is gonna have a harder time moving Poti then Burke has in moving Kaberle.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I just want hockey season to start...I am sick of football already.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | September 22, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

See now you have a disconnect.

Lack of heart is something you are assuming. You have no idea how he trains in the offseason or how much playing well in the NHL means to him. You do not know him personally so you have nothing to base this off of. (I don't know him either so I can't comment on his "heart").

Then you speak of grit and determination. OK, lets just assume Flash has almost zero of those. You are then stating that Flash is a liability because of his lack of grit and determination. Nothing else. Well, that should then mean that anyone who lacks grit and determination is a liability and players who have grit and determination are never a liability.

So that then begs the question, who is a bigger liability to his team, Malkin or Boogaard? Malkin does not have any grit and little to no determination(if using the same judging factors you used in juding Flash). Boogaard, by all means, has grit and determination.

There are many more examples like this(Gretzky had no grit, was he a liability?). This shows that lack of grit and determination does not necessarily make you a liability and that having grit or determination does not necessarily make you reliabile.

Is it a factor to look at? Sure. But there are so many other factors that go into what makes a player a liability or not.

In closing, is Flash a liability? Maybe. I could see how someone reaches that conclusion. However, there were many errors in the logic you used to get to your conclusion.

I really don't care about your conclusion, I just don't like the erroneous way in which you reached it.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 22, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Semin-Eakin-Fehr line....am I the only one who sees potential in this.

Semin = true lw, amazing talent, backchecks, CREATES a lot (space, chances, etc), makes amazing passes...just not gritty or net crashing type.

Eakin = center, faceoff skill tbd, makes good plays/passes, gets back on d, goes into corners....just young and unproven at NHL level.

Fehr = inhaled Weight Gain 4000 over the summer and chiropractor roids to reach 220, could possibly be the net crasher/havoc creator for 2nd line, makes great passes, possesses an sniper like wrister, with increase playing time can only go up in value, plays well defensively.

Sounds like a great combo imo.

AND.....we can healthy scratch FLUSH.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 22, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

its funny in a way. You just want McPhee to stop prolonging the success of this team by getting of his own way. Every stupid move he makes puts this team back a little further. And creates more headaches down the road for his successor.

Signing Pothier was his first big FA acquisition. Whoop! Then Poti! Whoops. Sprinkle in some Nylander. ooppsy! Extend Poti! my bad !

so much for GM's doubletalk that they're being frugal with their salaries so they can save money to sign some impact players. Besides MK, McPhee's been swingin and missin. And he hasn't really swung that much.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I just want hockey season to start...I am sick of football already.

Posted by: richmondphil2

you didn't see that Stephon Heyer hold coming? I sure did. To put him in at left tackle was a questionable choice. And then of course, Doughty...worst cover free safety in football.

still like Haslett's attacking style but he can never leave Doughty out on his own like that.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

It was enjoyable watching the Flyers/Devils game last night. It was hockey- watered down- but it was hockey.

Additionally, my roommate used to date David Clarkson, so it was fun listening to her root against him. And at times for him.

Posted by: Fro_2 | September 22, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Ok how bout these then for Flash is a liability debate...

He sucks at faceoffs.
He plays pi$$ poor d, if any.
He gives up on plays that are not simple.
Doesnt forecheck.
Gets pushed around easily.

Need more?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 22, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh. Alexander Hamilton has slapped Aaron Burr in the face.

Can the march of ten paces be far behind?

Gentlemen...choose your weapons!

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 22, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

err The Pat....dere were many "errors in logic" which you used to draw your errrrrroneeeooous conclusion!

its impossible to gauge someone's heart and desire by what you see on the ice?

lmao
rotflmao
rofl
meow

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Also, Flash had worst ratio on team of penalties assessed to vs penalties caused on other team.

SAOTI: I think Semin-Eakin-Fehr could be a solid #2 if Eakin progresses like we expect, although in 2011 I'd think Fehr becomes #1 RW.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 22, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil...

I am so with you on that point...I am bored of football...

time for Washington's ONLY successful team to start..

Posted by: SoaringCaps | September 22, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal

We have Alexander Hamilton, we have Aaron Burr, but what do we call ThePat?

He is like that mutual friend in high school that you use to pass a message to the person you arent talking to, that is standing right next to him.

They now take their jabs at each through him. Not to mention they are so cryptic in their uses of "other posters" and "some people" in place of each other's names.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 22, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Love Eakin, but give the kid a chance to grow up. He would get chewed up by the physical play in the NHL at this point, IMO. Two years and 15 pounds from now, it's another story. Even if he has a couple of good exhibition games, he would get worn down as the season progresses. I hope the Caps will think about what is in Eakin's (and the team"s) best long term interests.

Posted by: zmega | September 22, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

He sucks at faceoffs.
He plays pi$$ poor d, if any.
He gives up on plays that are not simple.
Doesnt forecheck.
Gets pushed around easily.

Need more
---------

err but look here dear man, you cannot, i repeat CANNOT look inside a man's heart and see what he has. For all we know, flash has more heart than anyone in hockey.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I dare not do that, however, a close personal friend of mine is also a friend of his. Her name is Cindy Loo Hoo, and she told me his heart was 3 sizes too small.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 22, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

You didn't read my post then:

I used the word "perceived" just for you buddy. And you can look at @SAOTI for every other reason he is a liability.

Posted by: ThePat | September 22, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3 - I'm with you on Flash - he does have some liabilities, but how can anyone claim he "has no heart"? He does what he does, as best as he can do, and he's gotten noticeably better in each year of his career. (I thought he was awful 3 years ago...) There are ways he can improve...

While I'm at it: players who bump and disrupt without delivering crushing hits can be even more effective than the ones who try to lay people out all the time. The little bump, the throwing someone off stride, even the little bump (as opposed to the big hit) along the boards tires and frustrates the opposition. The less emotion the better: the Wings check clinically, separating the player from the puck more with technique than with "heart" and they've gotten great results playing that style...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | September 22, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

That's a pretty solid lineup for a preseason game. Could be the starting 2nd and 3rd lines for the seasons. Watched the Leafs/Sens game last night and very few of those guys will actually be in the NHL this year.

Posted by: Stu_c | September 22, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 |

I really have no idea what you're talking about. When you say Doughty, I think of Drew Doughty.

I call myself a Cowboys fan to spite my friends. Though, my dad's side of the family is from Oklahoma and were Cowboy fans. I don't actually watch any football games though.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | September 22, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce

it is an uneasy truce my friend. And these are uneasy times.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

@zmega

agree on not wanting to rush Eakin. However, if it comes down to Flash, MaJo, MP, or Eakin at center. I'm going with Eakin for now.

@rp
cowboys? i thought you were a skinz fan.
i do watch OSU football now though since I have family connections there.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Boooo OSU..my family went to OU. Sooners!
I actually did watch the first Skins game against the Cowboys, and I usually watch playoff football. I was just trying to over-exaggerate my point that I want hockey season to start..haha.

Forget about Caps hockey, I'm just ready to see some grown-men hockey in general. Kings, Chicago, Lightning, Blues hockey, bring it all on.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | September 22, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Flash is not a center or a player this team needs, but he is an NHL player. There are plenty teams that could use a left wing to put the puck in the net. Flash gets too much flak from fans for this team's failures. If Flash and Semin were the only guys on this team that lacked grit, heart, and determination, this team would have won the Habs series in 5. The vast majority of these guys didn't do what it takes to win,

Posted by: ablake70 | September 22, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Flash gets too much flak from fans for this team's failures.
--------------

its obvious why though.

1- he's representative of the trend under McPhee/BB of the finesse player who folds when the going gets tough. He's an easy mark and deservedly so. His contribution is the sum of his points. He doesn't add anything more. When he doesn't score, he's useless

2- for the reasons you mentioned, he's got some market value. And the player we think can and should be moved for a different type of player.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

SAOTI: If sgm is Hamilton and cstanton is Burr, then ThePat can be Jefferson.

Y'all didn't expect a history lesson, did you?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 22, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

btw, Corey Masiak wrote a piece talking about Andrew Gordon. Interesting read, its out there somewhere. Said that AGordo would have to clear waivers to be sent back to the AHL and there's a good chance he'd get picked up.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

@capsfansince74 & pokerfaceI208: well said, both of you.

Like you, I just don't get why so many are willing to dismiss ALL the positive things that happened last season because of the disappointment in the playoffs.

--Can the first non-Original Six team to earn over 120 points in a single season be said to suck? No.

--Can a team that sucks earn the President's Trophy? No.

--Is the regular season completely meaningless? No.

--Will the Caps (as currently constituted) win the Stanley Cup? We hope so, and many of us think the chances are good. But the plain fact is that WE DON'T KNOW YET. Nobody does. And anyone claming to know for certain either way is almost surely delusional.

Seriously, if one were to follow some of these guys' reasoning to its logical conclusion, then their "perfect" world would be a place where:

--GMGM, BB, and TL would be banned from having anything to do with hockey at any level, forever.
--Players they don't like would not only be removed from the Caps' organization, but would likewise be banished from the hockey universe for all time.
--The regular season would not exist.
--Regular season awards (not just the President's Trophy but also individual awards e.g., Hart, Ross) would also be abolished.
--The only remaining top-level professional hockey played in North America would be the Stanley Cup Playoffs themselves (BTW, would they still be called "playoffs" if the regular season didn't exist?).
--Qualification and seeding for said playoffs would be based solely on whether a given team had enough "grit", as determined by an elite panel of experts (cough, cstanton1, cough).

Of course, such a scenario would not be complete without its share of unintended consequences, such as:

--The maximum total number of games played each "season" would be between 60 and 105 games--and that's league-wide, folks! That's 60 games if every series ends in a sweep; 105 if every series goes "the full 7".

--Hockey "season" (as such) would only last from early March to mid-June (at the most)--Hence the off-season would be about 9 months long.

--With an absolute maximum of 16 home games possible for any team per "season", ticket prices--even for the "bad" seats--would be so high as to be beyond imagining. Oh, wait, the Redskins' ticket prices are already like that.

--All the remaining decent players in the league would probably go to the KHL--at least that way they'd be sure of getting to play more than 30 games/"season" when healthy.

FTR, any of the above would probably make me want to slit my wrists.

These Haters/Armchair GM's/Couch Coaches actually seem to enjoy saying that the Caps "Will NEVER win the Cup..."

Which begs the question: Since they seem to have knowledge of future events, why bother?

Could it be that they would rather be proven right than see the Caps win? Since when are the two mutually exclusive?

Posted by: Rhino40 | September 22, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

...it is math and there is only ONE correct number on this. ...

Posted by: MReilly9 | September 22, 2010 11:44 AM

@MReilly9:

I agree with you, but be careful: there are some on this board who will flame you mercilessly for "bothering" them with facts.

Of course there is ONE place where (8 + 19) > (71 + 87)...

...At a Caps-Pens game!

Posted by: Rhino40 | September 22, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

---

are you trying to say that Flash checks "clinically" and separates the player from the puck? As to the Wings, I've seen Kronwall, Stuart, Helm, Abdelkader, Holmstrom and a few others throw their bodies around with relish. Its not this robotic lightly bumping that you're referring to.

btw, if you knock a player down to the ice, you prevent him from getting back into the play as quickly. One of the things that drives me nuts about the Caps D is they rarely finish a check on a forward streaking down along the wing. They just keep backing in towards their own net until he passes the puck off instead of closing ranks with the player and then hitting him even after he's released the puck. Too many times, the forward has an easy way to get back into the play if he isn't checked.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

@SAOTI

As I said in my previous post. I am fine with people saying they think Flash is a liability. I just didn't like the way they reached it.

@cstanton1

Please stop commenting on my posts. No one on here wants to read them and no one wants to read my replies. Lets respect others on this board and not comment about each other’s posts.

I'm looking forward to this season. I’ve been a Caps fan for a while and watch most Caps games. I have found them especially entertaining to watch the past few seasons and can't wait to see them start things up this year.

I love watching their style of play and find them the most entertaining team in the league. I hope they can win the SC and perform better in the playoffs but I never want to see them resort to a boring neutral zone trap, dump n' chase style of hockey because I don't find that style entertaining. Hockey is entertainment for me. If it isn't entertaining me then I will do something else.

I'm excited to see all the young kids play and will be very interested to see how the young centers(MP, MJ, or others) do in the NHL this season.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 22, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

here's an example of a simple hit from Caps camp. Garrett Mitchell finishes his check and knocks his guy down. If this was a regular game and his defensive partner who passes the puck out had his pass intercepted inside the zone, it puts the other team at a greater disadvantage because the guy Mitchell knocked down is now slow to get back into the play and guard his net. This notion that once the puck is released there's no reason to finish the hit is wacky. You soften up a team by finishing hits. You force them to start dishing the puck off quicker then they'd like to. You knock em down and out of the play. There's a dozen good reasons to finish checks with authority and not many bad ones except the proverbial "you take yourself out of the play to go find a hit". That happens rarely enough that it should never be a concern. And players eventually learn to not overhit. Orpik is a good example of a guy who would get caught up ice sometimes looking for the big hit. Now he's a more effective hitter without taking himself out of the play.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rhino40

you've tried to make this ridiculous argument before. So its time to address it.

your question imo is of no relevance. Even if I did feel that way - i.e. wanting to be right over wanting to watch the Caps have a great playoff team (which i don't), it means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. I can't control how they play so even if I did feel that way what does it matter to you? The only thing that should matter is the outcome. Not the motivation behind it.

So my comments on the continuing stupidity on the part of coach and GM is my way of venting that I'm caught being a fan of a team with a front office who will never understand what it takes to win a Cup. And showing thru past and current events, all the little moves they make that have already contributed to, and will continue to lead to more losing.

do you need more clarification than this? I'll put in the requisite time so you don't have to attempt to pose this question again.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

Please stop commenting on my posts.
--sgm-

Hey! Don't address me directly! how dare you!

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

--------------

and btw, ALMOST EVERY TEAM does that when they get into the 3rd pd and need to protect a lead. They change their forechecking schemes up and commit at least 2 of their forwards to the neutral zone.

you are the master of mischaracterization.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton01

re: finishing checks. To clarify, my post was about two unrelated topics, Flash and finishing checks (yes, people will say, very unrelated ). So it caused some confusion: I do not claim that Flash, or any player on any other NHL team other than Detroit does this as well as Detroit, esp the team when Bowman was the coach.

I agree with you that there should be contact and each and every time there is the opportunity, there should be contact. I just think that players who are not big hitters (Semin, Flash, Perrault, Poti) can still be effective if they ALWAYS at least make that little bump because it still takes a player off stride and it still tires them out. (I'd like to see more of that from each of them. Don't just skate around the guy, at least give him a bump of some kind...)

What I admired about the late 90s Wings was how clinical their checking was - very little emotion, no need for huge hits, just a very efficient levering of the opposition off the puck. They did it very well...And Crosby, today, is extremely good along the half boards (Flash should study film of him, I think this is a real weakness for him, and the weakness is not his attitude but his technique) using technique not "grit" or "heart" but skill at this kind of maneuvering...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | September 22, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

televised or interneted anywhere?

Posted by: rh71 | September 22, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Are you people kidding me?

Football is the only thing that has kept me ALIVE while waiting for the pucks to drop!

If you watched the Skins play Sunday, YOU COULD NOT HAVE BEEN BORED!

We haven't seen offence like that since 1986!

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

I feeling I have about the Poti signing is similar to the one I had about the Corvo signing. UNEASY!

You see there is just a lot of "WAIT AND SEE" involved with the Caps under "GM George McPhee". And we have some time, but like many of you (and Jay-Z) I am impatient, and I hate waitin'.

Flash! ah-ahh! He'll save everyone of us! Flash! ah-ahh! He's a miracle!

GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | September 22, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

-----------------

Red, i would agree with this. But since they don't do it often enough, they are underperforming in that regard.

---------------------
------------------------

i don't know if i agree with this. The Wings of the late 90s still had McCarty, Vlad, Verbeek, Shanny, Marty LaPointe, Joey Kocur.
Those guys hit with plenty of emotion.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

Please stop commenting on my posts.
--sgm-

Hey! Don't address me directly! how dare you!

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 1:47 PM

The two of you should go on the road with this act.

I, for one, think it is occasionally hilarious!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | September 22, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

If you watched the Skins play Sunday, YOU COULD NOT HAVE BEEN BORED!

We haven't seen offence like that since 1986!
------------

was that jay schroeder days?

yeah, first time in a looong time i'm stoked to watch the Skins play. Finally got back to a more attacking defense even though the yardage needs to be cut down. And finally going back to rebuilding the lines.

and why is when Shanahan runs those lateral passes to Moss, it gets way more yards than when Marty and Gibbs were running the same plays? hmmm

even our screen passes look great and that was never our staple since the days of kelvin bryant

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

"who the F said anything ever about wanting to see the Caps play a boring neutral zone trap?

you are the master of mischaracterization."

For the love of god, shut up! Stop commenting on my posts.

I was making a general statement about what I find entertaining about the Caps. It isn't a mischaracterization because that is how I feel, and it is what I want to see when I watch hockey. That is it.

Again, stop commenting on my posts.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 22, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3 and @cstanton1

I don't care if you stop commenting on each other's posts. At times its funny and at times its just too much. But if you are asking him to stop commenting, then why are you responding to his comments. You are FEEDING the monster.

Posted by: ThePat | September 22, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

was that jay schroeder days?

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 2:02 PM |

'86 was a random number I often use to represent "a long time ago" but yeah, that was Jays best year of his career.

The defense HAS to attack because it has personnel issues that dont allow it to sit back and wait for the QB to make a mistake. It does make for more exciting football.

Shanahan has my confidence. He has a clue on how to run a professional football team. Something we havent seen around here is a good while.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | September 22, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

For the love of god, shut up! Stop commenting on my posts.

Again, stop commenting on my posts.

Posted by: sgm3 |

Posted by: PhilR | September 22, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

"Do you have any stats to back up this "feeling" of yours? If not that "feeling" is absoloutely meaningless."

@PhilR

The difference is that I'm not commenting on my feeling about if player X is good or not. My comment was about what I enjoy watching. Big difference.

If person A states he feels that player X is not good, no one argues if person A feels that way or not. They only debate whether player X is good or not. Hence the need for facts to back support that opinion.

I was only commenting about how I feel about the watching hockey and what I find entertainig. It wasn't a comment about anything except for my own personal feelings. I was not trying to tell anyone that a certain style is entertaining and others are not. I was only commenting about what I find entertaining.

Again, big difference.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 22, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

So I would have preferred waiting half a season before extending Nuevy's contract...I mean lets have him prove himself first please.

Posted by: capscoach | September 22, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

capscoach,

The same could be said for Poti!

Posted by: PhilR | September 22, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

@capscoach

The downside is that if Neuvy performed very well it would've cost more money to sign him

Posted by: sgm3 | September 22, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

sgm3,

You really need to calm down man, could you not tell that was a joke just like tominsocal's post was yesterday? You aren't being attacked all the time!

Posted by: PhilR | September 22, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Whatever, düüüde. Like I told you before, it's the tone. It's not about who's wrong or right, it's the tone. You may not specifically call-out another poster as a "KoolAid® Drinker" or a "Homer", but trust me, your tone does.

FTR, I don't hate you; you're obviously smarter than the average bear, Bubú--you do think things through quite well, and your reasoning is mostly good. You even give me a good laugh sometimes, and I can't disrespect that.

That, said, it's how you deal with those who disagree with you that has me gritting my teeth sometimes, because I never had much use for Fox News.

Also FTR: While I agree that re-sigining Fleischmann may have been a mistake, I am still on the fence about Poti.

So you don't like GMGM...I get that. But just remember other peoples' failure to subscribe to your (apparent) point of view--which seems to be that GMGM is a cross between Zippy the Pinhead and the Prince of Darkness Himself--doesn't make them stupid or delusional.

So, I will (provisionally) accept the proposition that you do want the Caps to win, and just have trouble expressing it to others in way that doesn't set them off. When I agree with your post, you'll have my support; when I don't, you'll know that too.

But don't be surprised if I call you on it when you start drifting back into LarryDavid/Cheef/SC1907 territory.

OK?

Posted by: Rhino40 | September 22, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I know I will be blasted for this...but heck...I like the Poti signing...he will do a fine job mentoring the newbies, and a 2.8 cap hit is not critical. He also faced the 4th highest difficulty on the team and had the 2nd most blocked shots(not that thats a lot I know). If we had already signed a Mitchell or Volchnkov I don't think there would be so much Poti hate. Just because he is not a top 1-2 D man does not mean he is useless. We need some maturity on D, and he played well for what he is last season...i think he had a sorta rough patch at some point, but he was good in the playoffs and pretty stable.

Posted by: capscoach | September 22, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

The dumbest? Signing Poti to a TWO yr extension with declining income is the DUMBEST hockey move made in recent history? I'm really beginning to think you're like our buddy Joke. Sometimes you say things that make sense & other times that's not quite the case as in here. Even if we gave him a NTC it wouldn't be the DUMBEST move.

I gotta admit man you are waaaay over the top sometimes and you really rub me the wrong way as I'm sure others do. Your OCD is glaring & admitting it is the 1st step to recovery buddy. When does passion cross the line into obssession?

I think you are way over the top and I think you're dead wrong about BB & GMGM. Not only do I think they "could" both win a Cup, I will go so far as to say they both stand a better chance TOGETHER! If you put BB in Columbus it wouldn't work for example.

I don't know man I might be the only one but man I'm getting pretty sick & tired of coming on here and seeing 100 posts and 90 of them are from you blowing up the organization. Chill bro! You are way too intense/obssessed and outta line as far as I'm concerned.

And I'm not taking stabs at ya bro. I just think you're over the top. I mean you define extreme bra!

One last thing & I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I know you've stated before that you don't go to any games etc but have you ever played the game at any level? Or been involved in organized hockey at any capacity or level? I'm not looking for a resume it's just a yes or no question.

And look I'm not saying some of your stuff isn't valid. It is but to state that this team could NEVER win the Cup as CURRENTLY constructed is (what I believe) to be false. I still believe we could have won it all last yr. I know you strongly oppose that and that's ok. The only thing I hope for is that as obssessed as you are and as you so regularly point out the flaws of everyone in the organization, I hope that WHEN we do win the Cup you'll be just as obssessed with the positive side of that. I have my doubts about that as you're blowin up the Skins and they have 3 Championships.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 22, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

----------------

and i look forward to reading your specific points of disagreement with anything that I've said.

What I don't look fwd to reading is nonsense like "why are still here as a fan, why don't you go find another team, would you rather be right at the expense of watching the Caps lose, etc"

that stuff is just very non-constructive.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I like the Poti signing...he will do a fine job mentoring the newbies,
---------------

in the politest way possible, what makes Tom Poti a "mentor" ?

just the fact that he's in his 30s?

what for example, would not make Joe Corvo an equally good mentor?

although i'm sure if we trade for him again that will be an argument I'll have to suffer thru reading here.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

----------------poker

blowin up the Skins? care to show me where I'm trashing the current version of the Skins? when debate turns into outright lies, all hope is lost!

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 22, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Flash! ah-ahh! He'll save everyone of us! Flash! ah-ahh! He's a miracle!

GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | September 22, 2010 1:57 PM

@WTF: LMAO...I just caught final 30 min or so of that movie on HBO last night, and I was reminded of just how irredeemably (but also delightfully) BAD it was...kind of like looking at a car crash:

"Should...change...channel...but...just...can't...look...away!"

As for #14: I hope you're right. I really do. Because just one of those things killed my entire crew in less than 24 hours...and if the colonists have found that ship there's no telling how many of them have been exposed.

Posted by: Rhino40 | September 22, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse