Posted at 5:30 PM ET, 01/24/2011

Open thread: Capitals vs. Rangers

By Washington Post Sports Editors

logologo

Faceoff: 7:30 p.m., Verizon Center; TV: Versus; Radio: 1500 AM

Update: 7:06 p.m.
Based on warm-up here is what the lineup should look like against the Rangers:

Forwards
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Chimera
Laich-Perreault-Knuble
Hendricks-Johansson-Beagle
King-Steckel-Gordon

Defense
Schultz-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Erskine-Hannan

Goal
Holtby
Varlamov

Scratches: Eric Fehr, Michal Neuvirth and Tyler Sloan, who is back on a conditioning stint in Hershey and once again counts toward the 23-man roster.

By Washington Post Sports Editors  | January 24, 2011; 5:30 PM ET
Categories:  Lineups, New York Rangers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Matt Hendricks answers your questions
Next: Capitals continue to struggle beyond regulation, fall 2-1 to Rangers in shootout

Comments

@sgm

Do you think Jeff Schultz would ever do any of this? First the big hit, then the instigation. Then the scrap.

How about this? Think Jeff Schultz would ever step into Zdeno Chara and go lookin for a scrap?

on 2nd thoughts, it is apples and oranges. Sarge ain't nothin like Gill when it comes to grit.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 6:11 PM | Report abuse

more Gill

not a great hit (like the one he laid on Colby Armstrong), but a good one for sure. More importantly, its on a physical forward in Tuommo Ruutu

This is a decent compilation of his physical play. Involves big hits, fights, scuffles, stickin up for teammates.

the proof is in the vid

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see more sticking up for Semin and Green. These are meal ticket players

--zmg--

i have mixed feelings about this. Logically speaking, yes you want to protect your meal tickets and give them ample room on the ice to operate.

But as a hockey fan who is emotionally invested in this team, I cannot condone the utter disinterest that Semin has shown when he's within sniffing distance of a teammate who is getting abused. So for him, I hope he rots in hell until he decides to be a better team player. A team that is truly unified doesn't just have their tougher guys sticking up for their softer guys. It goes both ways. I've seen top line marquee players jump right in there to bail out their tough guy. That's what brings a team together.

Greenie otoh deserves every bit of protection we can give him. He's shown he's willing to stick his nose in there. When Mo got hit with that Upshall elbow on what I think already was a broken jaw, Green confronted Upshall and fought him. That's just one example. He's at a whole other level of teamsmanship than is Semin. The only guy Semin will protect is Ovechkin. And himself.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 6:23 PM | Report abuse

But Schulz has time to pick up more grit and toughness in his game.
--sgm--

but he's not improving and there's no reason to think that given more time, he'll play tougher. In fact I think he's regressed in that dept (if thats possible).

I thought 2 yrs ago he showed some glimpses and now he's again as soft as butta

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 6:31 PM | Report abuse

CST, I hear what you are saying, that loyalty goes both ways. But I know you have seen Semin fight. Are you sure you want the bongo-man mixing it up with anyone with even moderate fighting ability?

Posted by: zmega | January 24, 2011 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Tough game tonight. I think the Caps lose this one 3-2 in regulation.

Posted by: festus75 | January 24, 2011 6:56 PM | Report abuse

CST is living in the 70s.

When did you see a Gretzky or Bossy fight? I recall seeing Lemieux taking on Bobby Gould (who gave away about 7" and 40 lbs) one night and seeing Lemieux being carried off the ice by 2 Pens, half unconscious.

It's a different game today.

Posted by: getjiggly | January 24, 2011 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: getjiggly | January 24, 2011 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I'd bet my house that the Caps win this game tonight.

Posted by: chrisclarksucks | January 24, 2011 7:00 PM | Report abuse

When the Caps play the Pens on Feb. 6 and Orpik takes a run at Semin(I'm assuming Semin will be back by then) as he usually does, the Caps should have DJK take a run at Orpik and tell him the next he does that to Semin he will have to fight DJK.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 24, 2011 6:12 PM | Report abuse

The problem I see is that DJK has not shown any ability to 'take runs' at guys just fight which I don't see Orpik fighting back in.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 7:20 PM | Report abuse

If [ok when] Orpik runs Semin and /or Green have DJK / Hendu / Ersk run Crosby. Fire with fire, boys!

Of course, PJ Maguire would have an effing conniption.

All the more reason, come to think of it!

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 24, 2011 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Wow VS just had a bad quick segment before that last ad break. First they say up next is King Henderick (which I understand them not knowing he wasn't playing when they set it up early in the day) and his Rangers vs Alex Semin and the Caps. Really they didn't know he was hurt? Then they show the game that had already started and had the Canes record listed as 23-1-6. Normally I do not talk about TV guys slipping up but come on at least get the easy ones.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Nice, legit hit on Crosby on Feb 6th that lays him flat. Followed by Crosby's voice hitting higher octaves whining that they intended to hit him in the head but because he deftly avoided getting hurt, deserves a free goal. Fire with fire! Let's GOO Caps!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | January 24, 2011 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Our PP doesn't look like it's even close to improving.

Posted by: Albright4Snapper | January 24, 2011 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Sunava........

I had an extremely stressful day today, and I was looking forward to a Caps game tonight....only to see it's on Versus tonight.

Now I have to watch the Wizards......

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 24, 2011 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Caps power ppay had no shots on goal, that's sad.Uh, guys, it's not a passing drill, put the puck on net!

Posted by: 23lil | January 24, 2011 7:55 PM | Report abuse

@getjiggly

The game isn't any different. It is all about beating up a team physically, moving the puck with speed, and putting the puck in the net.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | January 24, 2011 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Grind it out, grind it out. It's going to be that kind of game.

Posted by: Terptwin | January 24, 2011 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Shots on goal 2-2. So both hot goalies.

Posted by: instinct227 | January 24, 2011 8:03 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3
@cstanton

Schultz is mega-soft. It is going to be tough to "hoist the big ugly" with a team this soft.

I agree on Green and Semin. I'm just amazed with the facial expressions on big guys like Poti, Schultz and Stecks when their team mates are in a major scrum. They stand there like school girls. We're supposed to win a championship in a violent
sport with 6 foot 4 school girls.

GMGM is a goof. (6 foot 4 school girls !!)

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | January 24, 2011 8:05 PM | Report abuse

@Hunter.

I am sorry how many Cups did tough guy Hunter win in his career? With teams that had 3 Hall of Fame D-men. As for him being a coach as your name wants him to be. He has won all of one championship in juniors and that is all. Other then that it is all great regular seasons and failing in the playoffs. Sounds a lot like a guy you don't like. In face Bruce has two championships as a coach one in the AHL and one in the ECHL. I know neither is the Cup but it is not like Hunter has a better resume as a coach.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Sarge plays every game like its an exhibition game and he's guaranteed a roster spot.

Carlson, Alz and Erskine came to play tonight.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zmega

lol, i don't want him fighting. I want him in the middle of a scrum to support his teammates.

Get that jiggly? That ain't 70s hockey buddy, that's just north american hockey. Love it, or leave it.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Just watched the fight that the VS guys keep hyping up and Gleason got screwed. Took at least 2 punches with gloves on then he gets the Leafs player free and drops his gloves and gets him square in the face. I do not like the guy at all but when you punch a guy even with gloves on in a scrum like that you are open to get punched back glove on or off.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin is starting to look like himself again, so that's good. I like the old version better, recklessness and all.

What's wrong with Laich tonight? Missed passes, not even skating after a guy who just took the puck away from him right outside the Caps' blue line -- terrible.

The power play is still horrid. Never even got set up on that last one and when we were about to be, Ovechkin, playing on the point -- where he doesn't belong -- turned over the puck. Awful all the way around.

We seem to be trying to handle through the neutral zone a lot tonight. Moreso than in recent weeks. I guess that's a sign their confidence is up.

Schultz is so slow it hurts my eyes to watch him.

Posted by: fanzee71 | January 24, 2011 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehammer97

theres dozens of ways King can make an impact even if he hasn't, as you correctly pointed out, shown the ability to be quick enough to take a run at someone with the puck.

He can skate over on an ice change and bump someone, get in someone's face, have words with the goalie, something to draw the other team into a confrontation. Then he can go to town. The personality of this team however doesn't lend itself to scrums like about a dozen or so other nhl teams - Dallas, NYR, Phi, Pitt, Ana, Blues, Canucks, etc.

Ovechkin and Backstrom came alive at the end of that period there on the forecheck but they need to do that more consistently if they want to be legitimately considered a fearsome line to be reckoned with.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 8:24 PM | Report abuse

agree about Gleason too. He plays hockey the right way for the most part. He shouldn't get railed for that play. He did the right thing. Its crazy that just a few short yrs ago he was playing forward for the LA kings.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 8:26 PM | Report abuse

am sorry how many Cups did tough guy Hunter win in his career
---------------------

totally unfair statement. Hunter was a quality grinder. A very quality grinder who also was a great leader. He elevated the play of everyone around him. Not winning championships means nothing in his case. He can't control other factors that also go into winning a championship. Would you say Dan Marino or Dan Fouts was a worse QB than Trent Dilfer? Or a worse leader? One of em won the SB and two didn't.

Dale Hunter was one of this league's greatest leaders on the ice. End of freakin story. Mark Messier was a great leader too. But he also played on some great teams with a great supporting cast, much better than Dale ever had.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 8:31 PM | Report abuse

I disagree about the Gleason incident.

The "punch" by Kulemin was basically a face wash. He pretty much pushed Gleason in the face with his glove.

It is part of the fighting rule that when you back off you wait for both guys to drop their gloves before throwing a gloveless punch. Kulemin never dropped his gloves. It was bush league for Gleason to drop his gloves and hit Kulemin in the face with no gloves on.

If the was Crosby and not Kulemin, everyone would be calling for Gleason's head.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 24, 2011 8:32 PM | Report abuse

The problem cstanton is that I have yet to see him do any of that. I have not seen him cause any comotion after a stoppage or bring any Sean Avery type annoyance to a team. I am not saying he needs to be an @-hole like Avery but he is a guy who without any talent draws attention. King does not seem to do that at all. He doesn't lay guys out every time given the chance. In the first he just stood around and almost tripped a guy on the forecheck. No hit not contact at all really. He needs to do something for this team other then just fight. It doesn't have to be goals or assists but it has to be something, hitting, shot blocking, just annoying the other team in general, anything. 99% of the time he is on the ice it is near impossible to tell he is even out there. When you look at the tough guys on other teams they all do something other then fight. Most of them hit too like Clutterbuck, Neil, and others. DJ King is only making one hit a game which just cannot happen for someone who does little else for the team as he has not blocked a single shot.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Wow I don't know what was better on that one the great look by MJ90 or the great tip by Hendricks.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Do you think they snuck Semin out there the this game and the last one wearing a Hendricks mask and jersey?

Posted by: zmega | January 24, 2011 8:35 PM | Report abuse

'scuse me, while I kiss the back of the net...

Hendricks!

Posted by: fanzee71 | January 24, 2011 8:36 PM | Report abuse

why would you play MP on the shift right after a goal? He skates at top speed and does nothing with it. We should've put out a strong forechecking unit after the goal, gotten some hits in deep, and kept up the momentum.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 8:36 PM | Report abuse

What a bargain that Hendricks is!

Posted by: Terptwin | January 24, 2011 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Beagle is the man.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 24, 2011 8:39 PM | Report abuse

DJK just got hammered to the ice.

Man I wish he'd hit someone when he's out there. You know Gordo ain't gonna hit no one

great play by Alzner btw to break up that play.

And nice chirpin between Beagle and McDonagh

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 8:39 PM | Report abuse

When Semin, Fehr, and Bradley get back, will Boudreau have the balls to scratch Knuble??

Posted by: Albright4Snapper | January 24, 2011 8:40 PM | Report abuse

great shift for BJ King. (dripping with sarcasm) It takes talent to lose the puck when its right in front of you

Posted by: jmurray019 | January 24, 2011 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Ice, agree completely. If DJ doesn't hit, he's useless for the most part. I've seen him get hit twice tonite now, pretty hard. That's absurd.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 8:41 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3 Kulemin was facewashing Gleason but he got in two clear lefts which even the Toronto feed mentioned when I watched the fight "Live," really DVRed back to the live on gamecenter. If you let guys get clear punches in and not able to be hit back because you keep your gloves on you will see a lot of guys doing it who would never actually fight becaue they would get beat just like Kulemin. This wasn't like when Bradley got jumped last year where it was a clean hit then a punch he made two clear punches then when they broke off dropped his stick and looked to be dropping his gloves when Gleason hit him. If any of the Leafs thought it was bad enough to be worth a game someone would have found a way to go after Gleason.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 8:42 PM | Report abuse

What with all the King comments right now, I'm just going to say that was nice play right there at the boards. Good shift.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 24, 2011 8:43 PM | Report abuse

terribe turnover Chimera and then a great shift defensively by Carlson and Alzner. This is the most aggressive game I've seen from #74 in a while.

And Steckel did some yeoman's work playing defense in our crease too. Also nice forecheck by Beagle.

Holtby looks like Olaf out there. Same personality, same physique

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 8:46 PM | Report abuse

lol, McPhee said "I like our Defense when we get Tom Poti back"

nice. Maybe you can pair him up with Corvo and get bounced in 4. Dillhole

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Holtby looks like Olaf out there. Same personality, same physique

Posted by: cstanton1

Yeeesh, I hope not. Lets hope Braden turns out a little better. (98-99 playoff run aside.)

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 24, 2011 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Blasphemy! I loved Olie. One of my top fave Caps of all time.

Erskine's on a mission to take off as many Ranger heads as possible

Hendricks just held up on what couldve been a great open ice hit on Prust

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Com'on Caps lets get an insurance goal.

Posted by: instinct227 | January 24, 2011 8:50 PM | Report abuse

IMHO the yr Olie won the Vezina, I dont think he would be giving up rebounds like Holtby is/does right now. Holtby is a yr ahead of sched anyway so I guess the analogy would be a compliment.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 24, 2011 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Laich's ampin up his game a bit now. Nice feed from MP and before that a few shifts ago he had a really strong forecheck where he dumped, chased and controlled the puck.

I think the Chimera experiment is about 4 games left and countin

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 8:53 PM | Report abuse

To me, Kolzig was always viewed as this elite tier goaltender, but I just don't buy it. I love him and for backstopping us to the Finals that one year, but he never quite reached that upper echelon that some felt he was obligated to have. He was a good goaltender, but I always felt like he was a bit over-valued. *shrug

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 24, 2011 8:55 PM | Report abuse

ok, gotta give MP props on that play. He worked hard against Prust and drew a call. But man, even when he tries hard he barely can match up one on one along the boards

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Let's go get one on this PP boys.

Posted by: Terptwin | January 24, 2011 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Richmond I think you mean 97-98 playoff run that was the Cup year.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 8:58 PM | Report abuse

my love for Olie i guess extends past his actual talent on the ice. It has to do with his perseverance when he had no defense in front of him. And his warrior like mentality.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 8:59 PM | Report abuse

was that a missed check by BJ King?

Posted by: jmurray019 | January 24, 2011 9:00 PM | Report abuse

The Caps run to the Cup was 97-98. Olie is the winningest golaie in Caps history, holds every goaltending record. I would love another goalie like him. You doofus

Posted by: jmurray019 | January 24, 2011 9:02 PM | Report abuse

who hasn't really made an impact tonight?

gordo, djk, knuble. MP pulled out some decent shifts there in the past several minutes or he'd be on my list too.

I still want to see a better effort from Ovechkin. He's not even playing at the level he was playing at in Toronto. He needs to play with some more mayhem in his game

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Richmond I think you mean 97-98 playoff run that was the Cup year.

Posted by: icehammer97 |

Yes, I mean the only year we went to the Finals.

Posted by: cstanton1 |

Like I said, I love the guy, but in terms of his actual play, that's how I always felt.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 24, 2011 9:03 PM | Report abuse

ok, nice shift Sarge, nice hit in the corner by Chimera. Do the Rags have a finesse dman for chimmy to hit? they must.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmurray019 |

You are about on par with windjammersouth and Cheef with this comment...only you're being serious.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 24, 2011 9:05 PM | Report abuse

and..bad turnover Chimmy in our own end is followed up by another solid defensive shift by Carlson and Alzner. Man those kids are manning up in a big way.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:06 PM | Report abuse

I was doing a little bit of looking at the stats and while Kings hit number may look horrible even when considering his low GP if you look at a per minute of even strengh TOI he is actually 4th on the team. I choose ES TOI because I didn't want to penalize guys who get PP time where normally you do not hit much if at all because you have the puck, in theory. Now the other thing this showed is that even with getting the best looking numbers for DJ he is still behind Bradley, Hendricks, and Ovie. What this tells me is even as a hitting grind it out guy not even looking at any offensive upside he is still third best with Bradley and Hendricks being better and also having upside. Being able to win a fight, which there hasn't been one yet this year he 'won' in a way like Gleason did tonight by which I mean a knockout clear win, he brings nothing to this team. Even soft guys like B. Gordon (2nd worst among forwards in hits per minute) bring something, in Gordon's case being a big part of out much improved PK.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 9:07 PM | Report abuse

So where exactly was all this statistical backing for why King is usually a healthy scratch when we had spammers like vermontcaps and hunterforcoach..spam for the past 2 weeks?

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 24, 2011 9:11 PM | Report abuse

So McPhee said he wants to add a forward for the "run".

I wonder if it'll be....a finesse player or a hardnosed player. Not necessarily a 3rd liner but a hardnosed 2nd liner.

I'm guessing it will be a "scorer" type.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:11 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Savard? That is terrible news.

Posted by: zmega | January 24, 2011 9:12 PM | Report abuse

was that a missed check by BJ King?

Posted by: jmurray019

i don't believe it. I don't even see him LOOKING to line anyone up. He's usually the one getting pushed around or hit. He really got clobbered in the crease by a Ranger earlier in the 2nd pd. I expected him to at least look around and get a jersey# but he's just ho-hummin his way thru.

Can't blame Boudreau at this point. DJ better wake up and show something here otherwise I'd like Bradley to replace him asap.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:14 PM | Report abuse

@richmond. I have been busy with work a lot of late and today I was not as busy at work so I did mind actually opening up excel. Plus today I have been thinking about the Caps all day because the new person at work is a Pens fan and even has the licence plate '4Pens87' so I have been thinking about the Caps and how much I dilike the Pens all day.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 |

Bradley should replace him either way, DJ King's showing in this game aside.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 24, 2011 9:15 PM | Report abuse

@ice

Yeah, plus, I don't think any amount of evidence would be enough to derail their DJ King campaign.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 24, 2011 9:19 PM | Report abuse

In my mind if healthy Bradley has to play. He is the one who goes out and will hit as much as he can, he leads our team in hits per minute to show that. Same with Hendricks who is second. Not even thinking of any offensive up side they both are must plays. King and Poti are the only two I hope to never see on the ice again (Poti being worst on the team in hits per minute and worst on our D in blocks). The problem is judging by what VS said GMGM said it sounds like they are going to play Poti when he gets back.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I just don't get why we can't find a legitimate tough guy who can skate and hit. Someone along the lines of a Prust or Crombeen. They're out there because most teams have em. Some have 2 or 3 guys like that. We can't find even one? so silly to have to microanalyze someone like King when there's vastly better hitting role players out there who can also fight.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing it will be a "scorer" type.

Posted by: cstanton1

I think it needs to fall in the middle. The Caps need more skill/talent for the 2nd line center position. But I also think that guy has to be solid defensively and have decent size.

I think a guy like Mike Fisher would fill that role very well.

Hey, at least GMGM has acknowledged the need and that he is looking for help there. Unfortunately that acknowledgement may have cost him some leverage in trade negotiations. Sometimes it is better to keep quiet.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 24, 2011 9:21 PM | Report abuse

@Richmond
@icehammer

This team can't even think about winning 12, injured in the Spring, because half the team has no b@lls. Hunter and Kolzig got there and lost to one of the best teams ever assembled. "Winning 12 to get into the Finals" what a pipe dream to a team that didn't show for Hal Gill and the Smurfs.

Dale Hunter would have taken Halak off his game so fast it would have been a joke. Hunter would have also have kicked guys like Backy, Fehr, and Laich in the rear during the first break at game 5 and told them,"This is an elim. game for them. Start hustling. They're from a Hockey town. A town that will not let them quit."

@Richmond
Kolzig got to the finals. Varly let the Pens disect him in front of his hometown fans. We should have been in the finals that year. (Win one game in Pitt after being up 2-0)

@icehammer
Bruce will not win the cup !

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | January 24, 2011 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 |

I think King can fit that bill easily, but for some reason, he doesn't seem to bring it.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 24, 2011 9:23 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1 I am happy with Erskine and Hendricks being our fighting type players and Bradley being a last resort. That isn't the best fighting lineup but 90% of the time there is no clear winner to a fight anyway and just having the fight sparks the team and all three of those guys are willing to fight anyone and other then Bradley can hold their own against anyone by fighting smart and not letting the other guy get the big punch.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 9:24 PM | Report abuse

@ice

Posted by: richmondphil2

you gotta understand, they're probably in favor of the "role" more than the actual player in this case.

That's my assumption anyway. And I support that. The role is necessary. The player..the Caps just chose the wrong guy. DJ is more of an AHL player at this point. It would be different if he was showing some improvement but this is a game where by this point he should've had 3 or 4 big hits already and made his presence felt. Skating after Jody Shelley and stickin him to get him to fight is nice to have but wayyy down the list of what a real tough guy should be doing in that role

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:24 PM | Report abuse

so cool that MaJo has 2 wingers like Beags and Hendricks. They're perfect for him.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:26 PM | Report abuse

When did I ever mention Dale Hunter or Varlamov, or why we made it to the Finals or why we didn't, for that matter?

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 24, 2011 9:26 PM | Report abuse

ice

there's a little more to it than that. Having a tougher version of Bradley in the lineup serves a real purpose and helps the other players play a little bigger too. When you have a semi-heavy in the lineup who is willing to throw down and get nasty, it helps the entire team play a little more fearlessly. Esp in road games in hostile arenas against certain teams.

That's why so many teams utilize that role.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 |

lol..no. I am in favor of that role as well. I even said DJK should get in a few games..on multiple occasions. It has nothing to do with spewing some slanted BS like what we've seen the past few weeks.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 24, 2011 9:28 PM | Report abuse

@Cstanton
@sgm3

Cstanton,You just touched on my worst fear as a fan. We have ANOTHER owner who doesn't know what it takes to win the Cup.
This whole "GMGM Vulcon mind meld" doesn't work on other owners who really know the game.

Major changes and personel moves should have been made after a "wimp out" like that. This is hockey, not the NBA. If you're not gutsy, you don't win. (Yea, the Wings are gutsy.)

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | January 24, 2011 9:29 PM | Report abuse

#74 is playin the game of his life. Looks like a freakin Norris winner out there. He's steppin up and breakin up plays, he's punishing forwards along the boards (even tho he is not gettin credit for many hits)

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:29 PM | Report abuse

The Rangers are a shot-blocking machine tonight.

Posted by: Terptwin | January 24, 2011 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Nice dive...haha.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 24, 2011 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Gordo...you suck

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Torts looks like Daniel Day Lewis

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Gordo may suck, but Bj King is soooo much better. He's ben all over the ice tonight. He's skating so fast, I can't even see him!

Posted by: jmurray019 | January 24, 2011 9:35 PM | Report abuse

@Hunter, You mean like all the times when the Caps had 2-0 leads against the Pens during Hunter's time and he didn't let them blow those lead? Oh wait there were several times they had 2-0 leads against the Pens and lost with him on the team, that can't be true.

I am not saying that this team will win the Cup my point is that there is no one type of team that wins the Cup each year. There are teams like Chicago, Detroit, and the Pens who are much like what the Caps are now, a team with good scorers who also plays team defense an there are teams like the Canes and Ducks. Now those who I said were like us we slightly different in their own way as no two teams are exactally alike but they play very similar styles to what we are this season. Every team has something that people point to as being a reason why they can win and they are 'right' until they are proven wrong. Detroit was too old, the Hawks didn't have the goaltending, Pens didn't have good wingers. Ours is our softness and right now people can say they are right and that is why we can't win but if we do win no one will be saying that anymore and you can say this team or BB will never will all you want but unless you have the ability to see the future and want to give out some Lotto numbers you don't know.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 9:37 PM | Report abuse

another puck possession crash and bang shift by the Beagle/Hend line

They're our momentum line. Who'da thunk it.

good hit by STaal on Ovy, hopefully it wakes up #8 who has been cherry pickin for most of the game. He gave Staal a nasty elbow to the back of his head too after that hit

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:39 PM | Report abuse

no SOG but nice cycle shift by our top line

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:40 PM | Report abuse

another nice shift by the kid pairing on D and strong board work by MaJo.

He's not the pvssy Euro I thought he was. That would be #15

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:42 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1 so who is the semi-heavy on Detroit? Or on the Pens when they won the Cup? Or the Hawks last year? As much as people point to others having a fighter not of the last few Cup winners have had won and the ones who had one on the roster didn't play them in the finals.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 9:43 PM | Report abuse

win or lose i'm fairly happy with the Caps effort tonight but if i had to pinpoint one part of our team its our defense tonight that has really stepped up and done the dirty work against a good bunch of grinders. And the Beagle line has provided some nice energy and work down low as well as Laich. I'm still waiting for Knuble to show up tonight.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:45 PM | Report abuse

great hit by Carlson on Avery on that goal. I don't have a problem with the way we played that goal. That kinda stuff happens. It'll just make the rest of the game even better to watch

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:47 PM | Report abuse

This will be an interesting review.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Knuble actually had great coverage on Avery as that rebound was flying around.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Punched in. I think torts looks like fonzi

Posted by: Dizruption | January 24, 2011 9:49 PM | Report abuse

This Jaffe guy is annoying. Holtby always looks pissed but I'm glad he has settled down some.

Posted by: nicety251 | January 24, 2011 9:49 PM | Report abuse

looked like he used his arm or hand , whether intentional or not. Can't review intent. No goal

Posted by: jmurray019 | January 24, 2011 9:49 PM | Report abuse

No way that hit off the elbow like the ref was saying. Either they had to say that it wasn't batted in or it didn't clearly hit but saying it hit the elbow as was indicated is clearly wrong.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 9:50 PM | Report abuse

@Dizruption

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh! (Thumbs up)

Posted by: jmurray019 | January 24, 2011 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I blame Ovechkin being stuck on the point... on Bondra. He was the first guy the Caps did that with. But Bondra was all speed and shot. He didn't have the moves that AO has. A guy with moves (and size/strength) like that should be close in.

Posted by: robbie1299 | January 24, 2011 9:51 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------

there are more variables than that. Some teams need them more than others. The Pens used Godard and a lot of other players who provided team toughness. Godard didn't have to play in the playoffs in order to have done his job all year in providing a presence and helping keep his teammates healthy.

Det is the exception but they had no problem racking up 50 hits in a playoff game. When was the last time the Caps did that? They also have a longer winning culture there that has contributed to the development of the younger players and they had Kronwall and Stuart on D setting a heavy hitting tone. No fighter, that's for sure. But they're the exception that doesn't disprove the rule. Or rather, the odds that you can really benefit from having a quality tough guy.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:53 PM | Report abuse

One thing I learned about the refs from 24/7 is that they can control the flow of the game. Maybe they were bored, too and figured let's make this interesting.
J/k

Posted by: nicety251 | January 24, 2011 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I think the goal should have counted because I see that as a puck going off the body (hand) just like a puck going off a skate without a kicking motion. I just think the replay people either blow the call or blew telling the ref what the call was since he was pointing to his elbow which it clearly never hit at all.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Jaffe said earlier that Holtby reminded him of Hextall and I kinda agree.

If he starts to swing his stick at people then he will definitely look more like him.

Posted by: joek443 | January 24, 2011 9:54 PM | Report abuse

btw ICE, the other variable is that we have a few too many players who dont like to mix it up, including on our bottom 2 lines. That's very different from how the Hawks or the Pens or the Flyers are built up. We don't need a King type to win the Cup. But we do need a King type if other parts of our team don't play with the requisite snarl. Replace Gordo, MP, and Schultz with Fisher, Neil, and a hard hitting dman and suddenly you don't really need a heavyweight because your team from top to bottom has a better team toughness mentality.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Chimmychanga just took a monster run at Avery along the boards. Avery actually turned and looked at him "are you nuts? oh, you're playin at home, i forgot!"

lol

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 9:58 PM | Report abuse

that's two good games in a row by the Caps

i feel privileged. I don't get to usually say that.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 10:01 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1. That is why I think what we don't need is a fighter but a big hitting forward who has won a Cup and been an important piece of that Cup winner.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 10:02 PM | Report abuse

lets see if WE can win one in OT this year

Posted by: jmurray019 | January 24, 2011 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Hendricks has to get some years added to his contract ASAP.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 10:04 PM | Report abuse

we need a guy like Ryane Clowe. He can fight, and play big minutes. I'd take a guy like that over a 4th line fighter who may not see much ice in the playoffs

But I was referring to players like Crombeen. Easier to get, cheap, can play a reg shift, and stronger and younger than a Matt Bradley. I think we should pick up a player like that.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't think 55 should be on the ice in OT, just go with 4 d-men.

Posted by: joek443 | January 24, 2011 10:08 PM | Report abuse

In my mind Hendricks has to be one of our shooters.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 10:09 PM | Report abuse

if anyone deserved that goal tonight it was Carlson

Staal definitely won the matchup with Ovy tonight. He was a rock.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 10:09 PM | Report abuse

@ icehammer97

I agree. Hendricks is the first scrappy instigator tough guy who can punch you in the mouth, play D and score since Dale Hunter. We've been missing that for over a decade

Posted by: jmurray019 | January 24, 2011 10:12 PM | Report abuse

i hate shootouts, time to switch games

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 24, 2011 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love Versus. The shootout is brought to us by Las Vegas...overtime guaranteed.

Posted by: nicety251 | January 24, 2011 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Like him more and more each game. Get him signed GMGM

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Hell Yes! Hendricks is f#%king Gretsky suddenly

Posted by: jmurray019 | January 24, 2011 10:14 PM | Report abuse

we blow in the extra time. wonder whats up with that

Posted by: jmurray019 | January 24, 2011 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Holtby needs to work on shoot outs a bit. Overcommitted big time on the first two and didn't react until way too late on the last one.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 24, 2011 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Holtby got schooled in the shootout....Oh well, another non-regulation loss..This sucks!

Posted by: JCB9 | January 24, 2011 10:18 PM | Report abuse

"we blow in the extra time. wonder whats up with that"
=================================
There are no fancy passing in shoot outs.

Posted by: JohnWWW | January 24, 2011 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Overall, a very boring game. Goborik goal a terrible call. Off the glove or arm I thought was not given to interpretaion like off the skate (which counts unless the distinct kicking business). Off glove not supposed to count, and it was clear. Holtby had a decent game but was awful in SO, as bad as I've ever seen any goalie.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 24, 2011 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Shootouts are for the birds. Win or lose. I believe they in no way prepare teams for the playoffs.

I say give 3 points for a regulation win; 2 points for an OT win; and 1 point for a tie. What say you Caps Nation?

Posted by: Terptwin | January 24, 2011 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Holtby has been doing everything asked of him and more lately. We forget, he is an AHL, callup rook backstopping a supposed cup contender. We failed him.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 24, 2011 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the next time Holtby plays an OT game, BB should put the backup in with less than a minute left because Holtby looked horrible in the shootout. He got abused 3 times and looked foolish.

It's a shame this game went to OT. The Caps earned and deserved a shutout. That was the definition of a fluke goal. They happen, oh well.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 24, 2011 10:25 PM | Report abuse

This "new" system has got to go, the Caps have become a very boring team to watch. Sit back and try to nurse a one goal lead and this is what you get. Out worked by an under manned team. There is no excuses.

Posted by: phrankbama | January 24, 2011 10:27 PM | Report abuse

For those counting, that makes seven losses in a row when going into OT.

Go back to jailbreak hockey in OT. And in regulation too. This defensive crap is (yawn) soooo borrrriiinng.

Posted by: hockeypuck2 | January 24, 2011 10:27 PM | Report abuse

As soon as it got to OT I knew it was over for the Caps. Oh well, the good thing is that in the playoffs games are not decided by shoot outs or 4 on 4 periods.

The Rags were lucky to get points tonight.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | January 24, 2011 10:27 PM | Report abuse

A pretty solid game IMO. NYR got a lucky bounce to tie it, and deserved the extra point. I mean, Wow, thoose were some awesome dekes.

Could Semin + Schultz for M.Staal + Callahan be a fair trade? I know I'd do it!

Posted by: Walle | January 24, 2011 10:29 PM | Report abuse

In the playoffs, games aren't decided by this pee-wee shootout nonsense.

(True, we benefited too much from the shootout last year.)

Posted by: Terptwin | January 24, 2011 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Shootouts belong in between periods and not during the game.

Posted by: Terptwin | January 24, 2011 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Come on, 17 whole shots in the game, not going to score too many goals that way. You knew the rangers were going to get one, way too much pressure and time in the caps zone. Don't know how anyone can say the caps deserved to win that game.

Posted by: phrankbama | January 24, 2011 10:32 PM | Report abuse

POSTGAME THOUGHTS: A boring game that I actually started half-paying attention to it was so bad. Sure they got the goal but in the third period - it seemed like they sat back and just let NY keep coming and they score a goal that shouldn't have counted IMO. Still a tough call to make.

HOLTBY: Solid again with the exception of shootouts. That overcommitted was scary. Offense needs to show up.

OFFENSE: Where is it? I realize injuries play a role but this still remains non-existent.

POWERPLAY: Boudreau has earned DUMBASS award of the year or stubborn award? TAKE OVECHKIN OFF THE F***IN point. It's not working and it hasn't worked. You keep him down low and keep it that way for now. When will you learn? He needs his production to get going. Nothing has changed. He tinkers with it and then goes back to WHAT WAS NOT WORKING!!!!! Unreal.

NO MORE EXCUSES: The offense better start finding a way to show up again. No more there's still a lot of hockey left. It's almost February and things don't change overnight. Yes the defensive play has become MUCH MUCH better but it shouldn't come at the disappearance of a potent offensive attack. If this team is just trying to get to the All-Star break with whatever points they can get - fine. But this offense better find a way to start clickin again or the postseason early exit will show up again.

A boring game - but yes point taken. Not the time to leave extra points out there.

ICE BREAKERS GOAL SHAKERS

Posted by: Jonathan6 | January 24, 2011 10:32 PM | Report abuse

How can a team with such offensive "talent" continue to lose overtime and shootout games? Just doesn't make sense. It's very difficult to believe this team will be able to win a lot of close playoff games, even with injured players back...

Posted by: kcbrichmond | January 24, 2011 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I think I heard one of the Versus people quoting GMGM as saying he's very happy with the Caps D once Poti comes back and would only consider upgrading the O.

I thought the Versus people were a little too happy about the Rags performance myself.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | January 24, 2011 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Our entire offense tonight was three really sharp passes by Johanson.

Brooks Laich - please dial home.

Backstrom's game - can we put it on milk cartons?

MP85 - one good game, now 20 (below) average ones.

It's hard to care as a fan when it looks like the players don't.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | January 24, 2011 10:40 PM | Report abuse

The Caps need to give Holtby a little shoot out practice, although with our shooters one wonders how much good it would do. Has to make him better than tonight though.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | January 24, 2011 10:40 PM | Report abuse

The Caps have become a mediocre team. They are not competitive against the elite teams, they beat the weak teams, and the games can go either way against everyone else. The PP had a real rec league look to it, especially the first one - awkward carrying the puck, inaccurate passing, little movement. The defense and PK are improved, but you still have to score to win the last time I checked. What does it say that Hendricks has become the team's best offensive player?

Posted by: zmega | January 24, 2011 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Walle,
Their braintrust is not that stupid. We even dont know if Semin will show up.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 24, 2011 10:42 PM | Report abuse

No surprise that Holtby looked bad in the shootout given he's a rookie with little NHL game experience vs. a veteran like Biron. More disappointing was that the Caps didn't put the game away in the 3rd period when they were up a goal. They went into a defensive shell and then gave up a fluke goal. Except for the first line, MoJo, and Hendrick, very few scoring chances developed.

Perrault is simply too small and not strong enough to hold his own along the boards. Having him as a 2nd or 3rd line center really shows how weak the Caps are down the middle. MoJo has played extremly well the last month or so but the Caps shouldn't expect him to be the 2nd line center for a playoff run this year. A trade has been needed for the last two years to find a 2nd line center even if it means giving up a good prospect. I like the young guys but a strong veteran center with playoff experience is a must.

Posted by: wizfan89 | January 24, 2011 10:43 PM | Report abuse

I say again!

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 24, 2011 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | January 24, 2011 10:44 PM | Report abuse

A decisive win by the Rangers tonight. Caps never would have made it to overtime and the S/O had the officiating not been so sloppy (especially in the 2nd period).

Posted by: tjconnor | January 24, 2011 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I say again!
----------------
I don't think anyone is getting down on Holtby. They shouldn't if they are.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | January 24, 2011 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Holtby started to revert back to what killed him the last time he was up and he started to overcommit in the 2nd period. Then he started overcommitting more in the 3rd and in the shootout he was atrocious. You could see him sliding way too far out on a few saves starting in the 2nd and the frequency of the overcommitment only increased as the game wore on.

Luckily the Rangers weren't able to complete the cross ice pass or knock in a rebound.

However, if Holtby starts against the Thrashers on Wednesday I think the Caps will give up 5 goals and killed.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 24, 2011 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Not sure what the officiating had to do with it, the Caps had no killer instinct again. Man it is getting painful to watch.

Posted by: phrankbama | January 24, 2011 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tjconnor

Huh? Yes, the Rangers had more shots, but they had about 1 good scoring chance all game(the Staal shot on the PP). Everything else was from way outside. I don't even consider their goal a good scoring chance, there were about 8 fluky bounces that led to that goal. It was a fluke.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 24, 2011 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Note to Bruce, don't use Holtby in shootouts. He had an alright game but I've never seen a goalie bite like that so many times in a shootout. Needs a bit more composure.

Posted by: Stu_c | January 24, 2011 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Memo to Ted: The naysayers don't have much of a respite, now that the team is back to losing. You can crow about beating teams that you should beat, but the Caps are increasingly becomming the team that most teams should beat. That's the progress that you promised us at the end of last year's disappointment?

Posted by: Almazar80 | January 24, 2011 11:23 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

Sorry but Holtby played very well the whole game. He wasn't over committing on much at all. A fluke goal beat him in regulation. In OT he went for the first move yes, but most AHLer's that he is used to facing in shootouts dont have the hands that the NHLers have and thus made him look stupid.

Holtby better start on Wednesday, if he doesnt that would be the dumbest move by BB in a long time. And he's had some dumb ones, like always throwing Ovi out first in shootouts when he constantly stinks at them

Posted by: ThePat | January 24, 2011 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Holtby probably gave up some juicy rebounds in the second. But he settled down in 3rd. So if you say big rebounds are from over committing I'll agree with you on the second period.

Posted by: ThePat | January 24, 2011 11:34 PM | Report abuse

doesn't matter who's in net, one or two goals/game against playoff-caliber teams won't get you anywhere.

They just have to learn to score more goals while playing good defense. It's not an either/or thing, they gotta find a way to do both at the same time.

Like Pitt, Vancouver, Detroit and Philly.

Posted by: joek443 | January 24, 2011 11:43 PM | Report abuse

@tjconner

What the he** are you talking about ? Decisive win for Rags ? Neither of these teams are cup material.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | January 24, 2011 11:49 PM | Report abuse

@joek

You're right. They have to learn to do both. Flyers, Pens, Wings, and Devils figured that out 10 years ago.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | January 24, 2011 11:52 PM | Report abuse

@icehammer

I've been watching playoff hockey since before the Caps existed. You can't be that soft and win the big banana bowl. The Caps are softest team in the league. Why have so many fans made Hendricks their favorite player ? He's tough and skilled (Playoff tough). Serious fans know what we're missing in our lineup.

Hunter did not have the O weapons around him that this team has. Abe was cheap.
I'm certain that a Dale Hunter in that locker room last year would not have permitted that train wreck. Players would have been moved off season. These Habs were not "Mario and the boys". (Players should have been moved: Laich, Fehr, Stecks, Semin, Poti)

Hunter still got to the finals. The above 5 guys will NEVER get there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | January 25, 2011 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Semin + Schultz + 3rd for M. Staal + Callahan

MP + Poti + 1st pick for Zajac + Urbom (3rd round prospect D with size)

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Fehr
Laich-Zajac-Callahan
Hendricks-Johansson-Chimera
Bradley-Steckel-Beagle
B.Gordon-King

No point in rushing Kuznetsov and Eakin

Staal-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Hannan-Orlov
Erskine

Staal-Green would be a perfect fit.
We need Orlov's shoot on the PP, Hannan would IMO be a good fit with him since he's very vocal and pretty positionally sound.

Varlamov-Neuvirth

Posted by: Walle | January 25, 2011 12:11 AM | Report abuse

@ThePat

Watch a replay of the game. You could see on a bunch of saves in the 2nd and 3rd period Holtby would drop to make the save and keep on sliding away from the goal leaving himself out of position for any possible rebounds.

He did not do this against Toronto. It was almost as if he got overconfident with his good play and started overplaying the 1st shot.

If he plays against Atlanta, I say Atlanta scores at least 4 goals and probably puts up a 5 spot against him.

I'm hoping Irbe reviews the game tape with Holtby tomorrow and gets him back to not overcommitting and sliding out of position.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 25, 2011 12:14 AM | Report abuse

My Rangers proved they are the superior team, look at the score.

Posted by: tjconnor | January 25, 2011 12:15 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3 -

completely agree with the over-committing from holtby. that was the problem when he was playing before. he seemed to have righted the ship the previous games but in the shootout it was exploited big time.

i still see potential in him, but he's going to have to remedy that if he plans to stay up in the big leagues.

Posted by: natresgroup | January 25, 2011 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hunterforcoach

Are you 100% certain the below 5 guys will never get to the finals?(Laich, Fehr, Semin, Stecks, Poti)

Posted by: sgm3 | January 25, 2011 12:18 AM | Report abuse

The line combos is meant for next year..
I say we ride this year out, and not thinking this is the last year we have the chance..

Posted by: Walle | January 25, 2011 12:19 AM | Report abuse

@richmondphil2

When your team is "Charmin soft", you start pulling for the guys that may ratchet up the intensity. This is hockey. You need to blow people up sometimes in the playoffs. (And, yes the Wings have guys who could blow you up. You tube some of Cromwell's hits)

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | January 25, 2011 12:20 AM | Report abuse

@richmondphil2

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | January 25, 2011 12:23 AM | Report abuse

@sgm3

I hope I'm wrong as a Caps fan. I've seen too much playoff hockey to believe these guys can be a major part of any group that "hoists the big ugly bowl". I'm sorry !

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | January 25, 2011 12:30 AM | Report abuse